• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nope's Monthly "Shugalicious's Sexy Saturday"

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I missed when playing perfect got into the discussion. I thought the point was that planking isn't very hard to do so a less skilled MK can time out a more skilled Falco. Which is stupid.

When a matchup deteriorates to using one technique over and over I don't see how competitiveness is served. But sure go ahead and compare it to completely unrelated things. It's working.

So anyway umm...yeah...I disagree with Overswarm and Kel agrees with Overswarm. Surprise!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
D3 and Iceys are not nearly as bad as MK. This has turned in to my opinion vs your opinion. Ya know that right? So either way, we are not wrong...in a way.
No... this isn't opinion.

If you're limiting your personal game balance changes to MK, you've made a large error.

If you are able to say that MKs planking makes the matchup vs. Falco (or other characters) boring (this is what most people mean when they say "not competitive") and thus must be banned, your thought can be discarded. If you're advocating the removal because you believe it is necessary for game balance you are attaching yourself to two potential paths:

1- The Constructivist Philosophy
2- The Banning of Metaknight

The banning of MK is an easier one to tackle. It is straightforward. If you believe qualities of MK make his existence in the game unfavorable, advocating his removal for a better game is not out of the question (assuming you are not basing it off of one matchup).

The banning of MK is what you could consider a global change, and is actually a part of the Constructivist philosophy. Global changes are very straight forward and don't actually change anything; they just make certain situations more common or more likely. An example of a global change would be something like raising or lowering the timer, raising or lowering the stock count, banning a stage, those sorts of things. Any specific changes to how the game is played (like the increase/decrease of time outs due to lowering/raising time, changing Lucario's viability based on stock count, changing a specific character's viability based on the availability/common usage of stages that are good/bad for them) are a result of unique features (like Lucario's aura) or having multiple global changes (like banning Pictochat takes away a Diddy CP but doesn't change his viability much, but banning Pictochat, FD, Smashville, and Battlefield would).

The Constructivist philosophy is of changing the game we are given to create the game we want. It is in contrast to Originalist philosophy in which we want to keep the game as close to original as possible and let the game balance itself; changes are only made in extreme situations.

Originalist is the philosophy I abide by and is legitimately a better system; its weakness is that it is much slower moving than the Constructivist philosophy, but its strength is that the game will be as finely tuned, fair, and balanced as possible over the long term. Constructivist philosophy moves quickly. If you know what you want, BAM. You've got it. The problem is that it is rarely, if ever, balanced. It's generally just a bunch of people saying "well this is what I like". While this is perfectly acceptable for friendlies and get-togethers, in a competive environment this is as close to a sin as you get. A rule should never exist "just because" (This is of course excluding rulings such as the NBA shot clock to increase audience appeal; Smash currently is not an audience-based game and is fueled by tournament attendants, but should that change rules against 'boring' aspects could be logically instated).

But let's say you want the Constructivist philosophy to be your choice. You believe you can do a good enough job balancing Brawl based on what you want, you are a big TO and people are forced to agree with you or not attend, and you prefer speed over the guarantee. You have a right to that choice, but to make that choice intelligently you have to play by the rules.

Banning planking in any way is a surgical change. Surgical changes are different than global changes in that they actually change instances we've encountered prior to the change. Banning D3's grab infininte would be a surgical change; suddenly, matchups that were heavily in his favor no longer are. Having a projectile limit woudl be a surgical change. Falco, Diddy ,etc., etc., would have to play differently. Having a LGL would be a surgical change.

Surgical changes are bad. They should be avoided at all costs because they actually change the format of the game. Global changes simply make situations more common and the difficulty changes as a result are natural. Surgical changes create new situations and the difficulty changes are arbitrary. There are very few surgical changes in all of competitive gaming I agree with, the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are the 300% infinite limit (reasonable to all, I'd believe), anti-stalling (meaning you can't glitch yourself into a stage and sit there until the time runs out), and the banning of the infinite dimensional cape glitch (which should be considered a borderline change, really).

Why ban planking? Whether by judge rule, LGL, anti-gliding rules, whatever the reason. They're all eliminating the same "issue".

If it's because "it's boring", your argument is irrelevant and you don't really have an argument other than "I want", so everyone can ignore you. If it's because "MK is too good, let's weaken him", just ban MK and stop beating around the bush.

As we are takling about the MK vs. Falco matchup and you mentioned that MK is too good anyway, I'm going to assume that you believe without the planking rule in place you can see MK being beatable by Falco and potentially others. Let's imagine this is true without question, and you've "saved" the matchup for Falco.

However, you are being unfair and have enhanced Falco's tournament ability while ignoring others.

Fox is not tournament viable due to a plethora of infinites against him. ZSS and Pika being the biggest. Why not ban those?

D3 can CG infinite multiple characters. You'd have to ban those as well.

The ICs can infinite every character in the game, and a large majority of the cast can do nothing about it; ICs are the biggest "bottom feeder" destroyer in the game. Just TRY to be Ganon vs. ICs. You need to ban these CGs as well.

What about other "impossible" matchups? Falco destroys D3 with a vengeance due to his ability to laser, jab, and over-b. D3's attacks start much to slowly to be a threat to Falco and he is much too slow to catch Falco if he over-bs. The prominent anti-D3 strategy is to intelligently spam lasers and over-b and jab when you have a sticky situation so you can over-b away. Are you going to limit Falco's laser usage to save D3 in this matchup?

From the above, you should be seeing that you either
A) agree to change everything on a case by case basis to make matches more fair (this would be messy, and is seen in games like Brawl+ and the like)
B) Believe MK vs. Falco is the only "impossible" matchup in the game (this is false)
C) Believe MK is good enough to where he needs weakening (ban MK instead; read Sirlin to find out why)
D) Realize Falco mains should pick another character as MK vs. Falco is a hard matchup due to ledge camping, but this is just as acceptable as D3 vs. DK, ICs vs. Ganon, Pika vs. Fox, etc., etc. It just stings more because Falco is close to being good. (Correct answer!)

So no, it isn't opinion. There's a science to this stuff with very consistent and concrete results. An opinion is something that you merely feel and can't really support. I can support my statements with a plethora of evidence and game theory along with the current history of Brawl, so I wouldn't classify it as an opinion. Saying that "ICs and D3 aren't nearly as bad as MK" isn't even an opinion. They're just as bad if not worse in multiple matchups. Just go ask DK mains who they'd rather play, a D3 or an MK. Saying MK vs. Falco can't compare to D3 vs. DK would be true, except that D3 vs. DK is worse.

Don't say "bananas are blue" and back it up by saying "it's an opinion". Gotta give evidence, yo.

All I'm sayin' is that a Meta Knight camping the ledge with the objective of "standstill" ought not to be threatened by a Falco who doesn't have an identical objective. I've mentioned before that I'm not really in support of a ledge rule or anything, but it doesn't sit well with me to understate Meta Knight's available options/overstate Falco's chances of breaking the standstill.
Agreed; Falco's options are not as impossible as it appears though, and I've seen Falco mains stop planking consistently. Shugo himself failed repeatedly to stop planking until his % was so much higher that just getting a hit wouldn't do it... and he kamikazi daired and brought it back to even. Falco has options. Planking vs. Falco is different from stalling or "broken" or anything of the sort. It's just very difficult.

I missed when playing perfect got into the discussion. I thought the point was that planking isn't very hard to do so a less skilled MK can time out a more skilled Falco. Which is stupid.

When a matchup deteriorates to using one technique over and over I don't see how competitiveness is served. But sure go ahead and compare it to completely unrelated things. It's working.
Competitiveness is easily served. The better player won. They use a stronger strategy with a better character in the matchup. An MK not planking would not be "serving competitiveness".

Difficulty to do a technique is irrelevant. If something is effective AND easy, of COURSE it will be used often! That's why MK's tornado is so effective. It's easy and powerful and takes a significant amount of effort to stop. So... you see it all the time! If a DK is having serious troubles with tornado in the matchup the correct solution is not to ban torando. It's to find a way around it, regardless of how difficult it is, or to pick a new character.

Don't create some fancy definition of competitiveness in your head and warp the game around it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Shugo himself failed repeatedly to stop planking until his % was so much higher that just getting a hit wouldn't do it... and he kamikazi daired and brought it back to even.
Again, at the point that you have a stock advantage, you shouldn't even have to worry about that being a risk that any Falco player is willing to take, as it maintains your advantage and only brings the Falco closer to losing. Attempting to plank on only a % advantage, which is something you seem to be so fond of referring to, unless it's something obscene like 70% advantage against solo Popo, is only shifting risk rather than really mitigating it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Again, at the point that you have a stock advantage, you shouldn't even have to worry about that being a risk that any Falco player is willing to take, as it maintains your advantage and only brings the Falco closer to losing. Attempting to plank on only a % advantage, which is something you seem to be so fond of referring to, unless it's something obscene like 70% advantage against solo Popo, is only shifting risk rather than really mitigating it.
Again, I'm not saying Falco wins. I'm saying he has options.

If planking to be viable requires a full stock lead, it isn't really a problem. The game just turns into a one stock game in that particular matchup.

Kel

Smash Master
Tyr, I was talking to Vamp and people that are capable of comprehending reading at a third grade level. I wasn't even discussing the LGL, just the idea of playing perfectly. I really feel like you're just trying to disagree with OS and I whenever possible. Your last post had nothing to do with anything productive.

@ Kel: did i clarify what i actually meant? i find it much more difficult to pass my thoughts thru the internet the way i intended them to actually be said like "that sounded a whole lot smarter in my head" deal,

@ Everyone: but imo i say drop it and let it go because this is Nope's monthly thread and i feel at this point its kind of just cluttering :X not to say that i didnt contribute to the clutter but continue this in like a user created group or something

Kel

Smash Master
^Yeah, and I probably read it wrong too. Unless you meant it to be pro- LGL, in which case I still don't get it lol.

I would agree with the whole discussion thing being dropped here, but I wasn't in it so I don't care. I was just pointing out some technical stuff (IE pulling an Ankoku).

You guys should move this to Vamps thread instead! He's actually got a LGL on! lol

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Here's an idea...don't be a ***** and just return to the stage if there is clearly a chance to. I have a gut feeling that some players like to abuse MK's ledge game for more than it's worth when they don't even need to. I don't even trust some of the top MKs to not sneak in some scrooging during matches if they got the chance to. It's...rather irritating.

I know competition means doing what it takes to win, but...I'm seriously considering some tactics to be borderline desperate. I don't know, whatever...people can settle for what they want to resort to I guess, I'll just focus on what I see as meaningful improvement so I don't suck **** later on like the ones who choose to stale themselves out, and I'm well on my way.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I know you don't like it, but accept it.

Go play someone you're better than or equal to. Make a conscious effort to not get hit. You can punish, but try not to get hit. Hell, tell yourself you can't win unless the time runs out with you in the lead of you 3 stock him. Can you do it? It requires a completely different set of skills, and these skills go hand in hand with skills related to aggression. The only difference is that these skills are more versatile and more useful in Brawl.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Tyr, I was talking to Vamp and people that are capable of comprehending reading at a third grade level. I wasn't even discussing the LGL, just the idea of playing perfectly. I really feel like you're just trying to disagree with OS and I whenever possible. Your last post had nothing to do with anything productive.
I wasn't talking about ledge grab limits either. And I was saying that I probably skipped a post where Vamp I guess said something about people playing perfectly. I'm against the LGL anyway because I think it's a bad way to stop planking. But the whole comparing it to projectiles thing is old and a dumb comparison in my opinion. I don't find it very clever. I guess that's what I was trying to point out.

I don't try to disagree with Overswarm it just tends to happen because he makes a lot of blanket statements. And a lot of the stuff we argue about is really all about opinion (including this one) so I'm not going to make a huge argument in an effort to change his because that probably won't happen. But I find it funny that you always agree with him and I always disagree with him.

I don't know why you felt like insulting me. But I don't appreciate it.

fonzi21

Smash Ace
Overswarm this is for you.( I can't believe I am supporting you, but) *Spiderman Voice* Everybody gets one.

Playing to win:by David Sirlin
(Page 18 paragraph 2.)(Paragraph 6 of this link http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/intermediates-guide.html)

Doing one move or sequence over and over and over is a tactic close to my heart that often elicits the call of the scrub. This goes right to the heart of the matter: why can the scrub not defeat something so obvious and telegraphed as a single move done over and over? Is he such a poor player that he can’t counter that move? And if the move is, for whatever reason, extremely difficult to counter, then wouldn’t I be a fool for not using that move? The first step in becoming a top player is the realization that playing to win means doing whatever most increases your chances of winning. That is true by definition of playing to win. The game knows no rules of “honor” or of “cheapness.” The game only knows winning and losing.

IN RESULT! If a player worse then you planks with Metaknight and your the better player adapt and don't be a scrub pick up MK or another character and **** him/her for their mistake.

(Paragraph 9 of the original link)(Page 18, Paragraph 5 of the book)

The good players are reaching higher and higher levels of play. They found the “cheap stuff” and abused it. They know how to stop the cheap stuff. They know how to stop the other guy from stopping it so they can keep doing it. And as is quite common in competitive games, many new tactics will later be discovered that make the original cheap tactic look wholesome and fair. Often in fighting games, one character will have something so good it’s unfair. Fine, let him have that. As time goes on, it will be discovered that other characters have even more powerful and unfair tactics. Each player will attempt to steer the game in the direction of his own advantages, much how grandmaster chess players attempt to steer opponents into situations in which their opponents are weak.

Another Chapter to even back up Overswarm even more!

(It's to good Under this link http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/what-should-be-banned.html)

“It’s Too Good!”

Only in the most extreme, rare cases should something be banned because it is “too good.” This will be the most common type of ban requested by players, and almost all of their requests will be foolish. Banning a tactic simply because it is “the best” isn’t even warranted. That only reduces the game to all the “second best” tactics, which isn’t necessarily any better of a game than the original game. In fact, it’s often worse!

The only reasonable case to ban something because it is “too good” is when that tactic completely dominates the entire game, to the exclusion of other tactics. It is possible, though very rare, that removing an element of the game that is not only “the best” but also “ten times better than anything else in the game” results in a better game. I emphasize that is extremely rare. The most common case is that the player requesting the ban doesn’t fully grasp that the game is, in fact, not all about that one tactic. He should win several tournaments using mainly this tactic to prove his point. Another, far rarer possibility is that he’s right. The game really is shallow and centered on one thing (whether that one thing is a bug or by design is irrelevant). In that case, the best course of action is usually to abandon the game and play one of the hundreds of other readily available good games in the world.

Only in the ultra-rare case that the player is right and the game is worth saving and the game without the ultra-tactic is a ten times better game—only then is the notion even worth fighting for. And even in this case, it may take time for the game to mature enough for a great percentage of the best players and tournament organizers to realize that tactic should, indeed, be banned. Before an official ban takes place, there can also be something called “soft ban.” Let’s look at an example.

If you don't know who David Sirlin is, he is an extremely good Street fighter player, and does **** tons of research on competitive game play. He also wrote the book Becoming the Champion I suggest any and all smashers go to his website, www.Sirlin.net and read it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Blankets are warm.

Bring it, Tyr.

also, Fonz found the paragraph I cherish most. ^_^

QUIVO

Smash Master
Kel, no need to get upset and insult people. I read HK's post and managed to skip 3-4 posts while getting stuff done in class when i posted last.

Anyway, kind of glad I don't play anymore. Don't have to deal with some of the BS in Brawl + I don't hear/see people whine.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Q, just embrace it. Rip your shirt off and be like "**** YEAH" and troll them. And be serious. Do both and interchange constantly. No one ever knows if you're being serious and you're having the time of your life.

QUIVO

Smash Master
Oh, I plan to embrace it.

It's not so much the strategies I really care about anymore, more like tripping... or chaingrabs that are ridiculously easy to do... or Snake's ftilt.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I don't! Earlier in your post you said something about people with reading comprehension at a 3rd grade level! I thought you were insulting me!

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Well Kel already has me on his ignored list from before so he automatically fails.

How can you ignore *touches with finger, finger sizzles* THIS? ;) Ha-chaa

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
So who votes we try out banning mk at this upcoming monthly, please consider it might end this rediculous argument.
And help me place better.

Flawless Fan

Smash Hero
For some reason, I always have a strong desire to argue against Overswarm, even if I can't think of a ****ed thing to say against him.
Like at Nope's last monthly, OS said that if you aren't annoying your opponent, you're not playing right. Or something like that. I wanted to say something against that.
Pointless arguing on a game forum is just too fun.

UHHH
Planking is dumb. Stop hiding on the ledge?
I have nothing to contribute to the current argument.

Ohio people are funny...
Only in the most awesome way.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So who votes we try out banning mk at this upcoming monthly, please consider it might end this rediculous argument.
And help me place better.
I'd be up for it if it was announced far enough in advance. It'd be fun ^_^

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol Kel I doubt anyone has it out for you. If I disagree with something you say, I'm going to tell you. If I think something you say is out of line, I'm going to tell you. If I feel like you're disrespecting me or my friends, we won't be cool. It's as simple as that.

Some blankets are not warm at all. It depends entirely on what they're made of and the quality with which they were made. pwned.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
omg would you and Kel just get married already, OS. Why wait any longer? lol
You know why Kel thinks the way he does?

Because he put up with me playing on gay stages for years in Melee. Ledge camping, run away and laser, CGing (I was an IC player for a while), craaazy counterpicks like kongo falls and green greens and japes.....

He then learned to play on those stages and could adapt. You couldn't "gay" Kel's Marth in Melee very easily at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb-j_OuNZws&feature=related

Seriously. This was a friendly, and it happened more than once. That day.

Top Bottom