• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Waahs: The Return of the Troll! Scarborough, January 9th, 2010

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
I'll bring my Wii and I WONT FORGET ANYTHING!

Also I have Brawl+ on a SD card so I can help with Brawl+

KingAce

Smash Ace
yea i really dont think pools should be ran unless we have a bunch of people new to the scene. cruxis is right, no one usually does take pools seriously and on top of that pools take FOREVER cause people loaft for whatever reason. i say with 4-5 setups, scrap pools entirely and run brawl+, tournament should end before 8 or 9 if straight brackets are done for all events.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Listen guys, I'm sick of the waahing, IF we do not have enough tvs there will be straight brackets, if we do we are still doing pools. what you guys do not seem to understand is that people don't want to pay $10 then lose two matches and cry about it, PLUS pools help with seeding and that way we won't hear all the crying about "Kingace had an easy bracket to Grand Finals" or "Why is so and so on my side of the bracket", from what I remember of straight brackets this is what I hear all the time.

Look, I want to this scene improve just as much as everyone else, it is why I still host these tournies, pools mean more matches for newcomers and people who are just not u and c yet (JNO, Han, myself) who want to improve. Even if someone is sandbagging newcomers and others, and they win, it is because of their superior spacing and mingames (and maybe matchups) so people are still getting practice. If people lose two matches and then have to leave, we won't be getting people to return.

For those still complaining about two stock pools, remember that it gets tournies done.

People driving, if you are picking someone up please ask if they can bring their tvs.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Marik ***** campers all the time.

Real men fight straight up.

Only my Samus camps. :D

SRTM

Smash Ace
If I get hype as my first bracket match, i'm done.
I always have to fight hype. I don't want to fight fool either. :(

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
Listen guys, I'm sick of the waahing, IF we do not have enough tvs there will be straight brackets, if we do we are still doing pools. what you guys do not seem to understand is that people don't want to pay $10 then lose two matches and cry about it, PLUS pools help with seeding and that way we won't hear all the crying about "Kingace had an easy bracket to Grand Finals" or "Why is so and so on my side of the bracket", from what I remember of straight brackets this is what I hear all the time.

Look, I want to this scene improve just as much as everyone else, it is why I still host these tournies, pools mean more matches for newcomers and people who are just not u and c yet (JNO, Han, myself) who want to improve. Even if someone is sandbagging newcomers and others, and they win, it is because of their superior spacing and mingames (and maybe matchups) so people are still getting practice. If people lose two matches and then have to leave, we won't be getting people to return.

For those still complaining about two stock pools, remember that it gets tournies done.

People driving, if you are picking someone up please ask if they can bring their tvs.
So are you planning on using pools just for seeding or to make a smaller bracket as well. Like what size bracket are you looking at for this?

.Marik

is a social misfit
I'm pretty sure I'm ready for Kuenzel now, though!

Not Iliad please. =[

KingAce

Smash Ace
ok yeah gi makes a good point, although imo I think a better alternative could be if there are under 40 people, just make legit pools 3 stocks 8 minutes but only a 16 man bracket. This is what happened a while ago at ToS5 and it worked perfectly, since people got a lot out of pools (4 or 5 full sets), and on top of that it motivates people to not sandbag or else they wont be in the bracket. just my opinion though, i know a lot of ppl will disagree with the 16 man bracket.

XxHollowCorexX

Smash Apprentice
Can you put me on the list F1ZZ?
I`m attending this tournament.. lol
So are 2 more people.
Man so many tourney`s coming up in Canada!
**** JUST GETS TOO REAL.

Gichan

Smash Champion
I'm looking at the traditional 32 although that 16 man bracket is a good idea....I'm going to have to think on that one.

As of right now, it is a 32 man bracket, eight pools, top four make it.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
Huh, 16 man bracket... if that goes down, pools need to be taken into serious consideration for PR updates in all honesty. Especially if the attendance is on the lower side with lots of solid competition.

Remember Mickey's tourney back in the summer, the pools were ****ing stacked something fierce there.

WIGI

Smash Champion
whats the deal for parking?

ii dun really care what happens with pools/brackets, ilt ry my best, but im mostly coming for doubles.

SRTM

Smash Ace
whats the deal for parking?

ii dun really care what happens with pools/brackets, ilt ry my best, but im mostly coming for doubles.
theres a little strip of parking spots right by the building. And theres some parking at the industrial area close by, and at timmies.

nickcam

Smash Ace
16 man bracket... thats means pools of death. Gotta be a 32 man bracket

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
The 16 man pools> bracket idea is pretty good.

Even as someone likely guaranteed to be knocked out in superpools.

Pools are a positive for me, because Im a scrub. Im getting better, but pools are alot more valuable to me than a straight up bracket, with the likelyhood of me facing someone really good first round, and being knocked right into losers. Ive come around to 2 stock pools if it helps run a better bracket.

KingAce

Smash Ace
nah nickcam there wont be any death pools in our region, if we make 8 pools top 2 make it out there shouldnt really be any "death pools", but there will be a lot of pools with tough competition seeing as how only 2 will make it out, plus in pools you will probably get about 3-4 quality sets that are played seriously by both sides, with 2 in each pool making it out. to me that seems better than playing the same amount of sets with 2 stock 5 min, then having a bracket. at tournies most people complain about pools as a waste of time anyway, i really dont see a point in making pools 2 stock 5 min if its just gonna be a 32 man bracket with less than 40 ppl entering singles total.

16 man brackets make every tournament set including pools a serious set, and the ones that played better will advance and play more sets, should be like that imo

nickcam

Smash Ace
I dont mind the idea of the 16 man bracket, however if every pools set is serious u know how long that will take. Think about it if every pools set is like a bracket set u know how much camping there will be on these limited amount of tv's. **** would take forever.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
if its a 16 man bracket people will bitch endlessly how they payed 20 bucks to enter a tournament that they didnt even make the brackets in.

If the price was lower, maybe, but we want people to get their money's worth

SRTM

Smash Ace
There def. should be a bigger bracket. More variety in the people you fight. Not just the pros.
I hate death pools.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
I care not for the format, only that if its top 16, you do 4 pools top 4 make it out,
instead of 8 pools top 2 only. This increases the amount of matches people get to play in their pools anyways, that way nobody gets ripped off.

Tin Man

Smash Hero

this is a good point, the tournament format should be consitent from tournament to tournament. It must always be considered that this will be someones 1st tournament so they have to get their moneys worth, and they have to experiance a proper tournament format. 2 stocks, 5 minutes, LOL please no.

This isn't a top 32 in ontario, or an exclusive tournament where the members are already known, therefore straight brackets will also be un accurate seeing as how some people can upset.

If I get hype as my first bracket match, i'm done.
I always have to fight hype. I don't want to fight fool either. :(
oh oh oh oh, fight me if I go :bee:

Huh, 16 man bracket... if that goes down, pools need to be taken into serious consideration for PR updates in all honesty. Especially if the attendance is on the lower side with lots of solid competition.

Remember Mickey's tourney back in the summer, the pools were ****ing stacked something fierce there.
16 man bracket... that means pools of death. Gotta be a 32 man bracket
yeah, if this actually happened, would pools be taken into consideration for PR, on an equal level as a bracket match?

Iliad

Smash Lord
Or we could just do the pools the way Gi planned on doing them. Phil, no disrespect, but if we had done pools the way I wanted to do them at Pownz, i wouldn't have had grief coming at me from people *****ing about why they didn't make it in. 8 pools is ********. Especially with small amounts of people. I mean, if I pay 20 bucks, I want matches. I'm already against straight to bracket, because that means a risk of only 2 matches. If you try to set pools to be essentially the same, thing, like, 3 matches, is that much better? No.

Gi, leave it the way it is. If you thought you would have gotten grief for straight to bracket, wait till you see the grief you'll get for 8 groups of 4-5 man pools, and have upwards of 10 players coming at you asking why they paid 20 dollars and drove hours to come out only to be told they didn't make it out of pools and only played a 3-4 matches.

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
thats when you say

"get better scrub and stop complaining"

Agreed, but not as harsh.

The people who get eliminated in pools are the really, really bad players. Like me.

Instead of *****ing, Ive made it my goal to get out of pools at this tourney.

Motivation is key

Iliad

Smash Lord
Or, in the case of the pownz tourney because of spreading the pools too thin, we had stacked pools in nearly every situation. I don't think there was more than 4-5 players who could be considered "weak" within the region at the tourney of about 24. The person who you say is a scrub, would prolly jv4 stock both of you.

Gichan

Smash Champion
I'll make my decision based off the number of tvs we have.

F1ZZ, can you please put nickcam for x1 tv.

Can anyone bring a vcr for one of mikey's tvs???

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Or, in the case of the pownz tourney because of spreading the pools too thin, we had stacked pools in nearly every situation. I don't think there was more than 4-5 players who could be considered "weak" within the region at the tourney of about 24. The person who you say is a scrub, would prolly jv4 stock both of you.
me, nickcam, and fool in the same pool >.>, the 3 of us placed top 6 at pownz :/

Top Bottom