• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo has hit a brick wall.

finalark

SNORLAX
And I really doubt Miyamoto would give a fake in-depth description about making the game and how he spent time balancing the difficulty. If you don't want to take what Miyamoto says at face value for something as basic as how he makes his own games, then I don't know what to say.
I agree with this, but Nintendo has been.... tricky, in the past. Do you remember back in '01 (I think) when Nintendo showed the Zelda tech demo video, and then Wind Waker came along? I wasn't really into Nintendo at the time (I had a Playstation back in those days and had only recently got into Nintendo via the Game Cube) but one of my friends (who was a Nintendo fan) was fairly disapointed (understatement of the year) when he saw Wind Waker after seeing the '01 tech demo.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Well that was indeed a surprise when it happenned.

But it was not a lie. When Nintendo showed the first trailer they genuinely believed that would be the direction of their new Zelda. However, things changed.

finalark

SNORLAX
WW was a good game. People just can't except change.
This links back to something Terran said earlier.

You know there's a reason why Nintendo stick to their guns so firmly. You, the Nintendo fans, scold them if they break the mould a bit.

Look at Majora's Mask. It was an amazing game, but it was too atypical for most Zelda fans. People complain that all Nintendo games are just Mario trying to save Peach from Bowser in a giant lava filled castle, Link getting 3 items to unlock the Master Sword before taking on 7 dungeons or so to beat Ganon etc etc.

The fact of the matter is, Nintendo fans complain if anything else is done. Nintendo is getting stale because of the fans. This is why they're now ignoring their original "core gamer" fanbase and jumping over to the fickle casuals. Easy money, and soon they can cultivate their new Nintendo fanboys, before they get impossible to please with their elitist and picky attitude.

Just face it, it's the Nintendo fans' fault, not Nintendo's. If the loyal fans were so great for Nintendo, they wouldn't have been 3rd in the console races having to change their business strategy.
I personally loved Wind Waker, it would have been a 10 in my book but then they had to pull that stupid triforce shard hunt at the end. And the fact that Tingle played a major role. God I hate that man.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Doesn't give you the right to make silly claims.
No, but it doesn't give you the right to focus on only half of what I was saying, and the less important half, and call me names either.

90% of that post was a perfectly legitimate argument and you completely ignored it. Why? Probably because you didn't have anything to say to it. But that was the part I actually was focusing on, because that's the part I think is more of an issue worth addressing.

The evidence you are providing is just silly.

Nintendo have better things to do than pay every single reviewer off off for propoagating a conspiracy of NSMB Wii being harder than it actually is.
Did you even read the article? Nintendo wouldn't necessarily have to pay people off. If Nintendo's a big advertiser and sponsor of someplace like IGN or GameSpot, then the company itself will have an interest in bumping up the scores so as to keep the advertiser happy.

I didn't say "OMG TOTALLY 100% TRUE," I stated it as a possibility because YOU dismissed my remarks as "WELL REVIEWERS SAID IT SO IT MUST BE TRUE."

It's just that I'm the crazy one because people are supposed to trust everything they read ever.

And I really doubt Miyamoto would give a fake in-depth description about making the game and how he spent time balancing the difficulty. If you don't want to take what Miyamoto says at face value for something as basic as how he makes his own games, then I don't know what to say.
If there's one thing I have learned in my life, it's that there are very few people you can really trust. Nintendo has given me no reason to trust them. They have an interest in making money, therefore they're going to hype up their game. (I know OMG PARANOID, but I prefer being overcautious to being a sap and trusting people I shouldn't have. But you're just going to tell me that I'm crazy yet again.)

I didn't say he faked the whole thing either, but I suppose it makes me look crazier if you make up what I said to seem crazier.

You say I haven't played the game yet. Yet here you are making theories, assumptions and extrapolations. At least my comments are directly based on the developer's comments and several people who have played the game.
You're coming to conclusions, I'm offering possibilities as to why those conclusions aren't necessarily true. There's a difference between the two.

If you'd review my posts, you'd realize that I never actually said anything for certain. YOU'RE the one that assigned them as my conclusions and assumptions.

Seriously, your whole effort to pass me off as crazy is beginning to really irk me. I am not some enemy, I'm merely trying to have a rational debate, and if you keep this up, there really is no point in trying to discuss anything with you.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
No, but it doesn't give you the right to focus on only half of what I was saying, and the less important half, and call me names either.
I just wanted to make it clear that NSMB Wii was not an easy game.Your first post implied that Kind Code had nothing to do with difficulty of games and I am pointing out that there is recorded evidence contrary to that fact.

If I made a post about Mario and then added in at the end I think the holocaust was all a hoax, you would say something too.

Did you even read the article? Nintendo wouldn't necessarily have to pay people off. If Nintendo's a big advertiser and sponsor of someplace like IGN or GameSpot, then the company itself will have an interest in bumping up the scores so as to keep the advertiser happy.

I didn't say "OMG TOTALLY 100% TRUE," I stated it as a possibility because YOU dismissed my remarks as "WELL REVIEWERS SAID IT SO IT MUST BE TRUE."
Strawman. I never even spoke about game review scores, I am talking about difficulty.

I didn't think I'd have to spell it out but fine. Every single journalist and player who has had hands-on time with the game has stated the later levels are very difficult. To claim you don't believe this or that they've all been paid off is silly. Nintendo have little to gain from making every single impression of NSMB Wii state the game is more difficult than it actually is; Paying people for a higher review score is one thing, paying people to actively lie about a basic part of a game like difficulty in comparison to other iterations of the same series is another.

If there's one thing I have learned in my life, it's that there are very few people you can really trust. Nintendo has given me no reason to trust them. They have an interest in making money, therefore they're going to hype up their game. (I know OMG PARANOID, but I prefer being overcautious to being a sap and trusting people I shouldn't have. But you're just going to tell me that I'm crazy yet again.)

I didn't say he faked the whole thing either, but I suppose it makes me look crazier if you make up what I said to seem crazier.
here's a quote from you:

''Miyamoto specifically coming out and saying something would definitely prove that he's trying to convince people that this new system is good, but why does that necessarily mean he's telling the truth? Wouldn't it make sense that he would be more determined to give it a good reputation if he were more convinced some people might not be happy with it?''

It sounds like you're calling him a straight-up liar since he was pretty clear what he thinks of the difficulty of his game in the interview.

Miyamoto has no history for outright lying about his games like this.

You're coming to conclusions, I'm offering possibilities as to why those conclusions aren't necessarily true. There's a difference between the two.

If you'd review my posts, you'd realize that I never actually said anything for certain. YOU'RE the one that assigned them as my conclusions and assumptions.

Seriously, your whole effort to pass me off as crazy is beginning to really irk me. I am not some enemy, I'm merely trying to have a rational debate, and if you keep this up, there really is no point in trying to discuss anything with you.
My ''conclusions'' are directly based off what people who have played the game have said. You are basically saying that everyone who has touched the game is wrong.

Kantō

Smash Champion
I'm still waiting for Star Fox wii Nintendo. *taps finger on desk*
THANKYOU! im glad someone was thinking that, starfox for the wii would be the **** with motion controls for different vehicles and aircrafts. also, its a stretch, but online multiplayer?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I know this is a just me speculating, but Retro studios did say they were working on something and that people would be VERY excited to find out what it is. Then when we take into account that Starfox is essentially no longer a viable series in Japan and is MUCH more popular within the States and Europe, we see the economic sense behind giving Retro Studios the ability to make a Starfox game.

Kantō

Smash Champion
they made one for the GC, and the DS. i just dont understand why they wouldnt at least attempt one. 2/3 of the games on the wii suck anyway, its not like they have anything to lose haha.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
They wouldn't attempt one becuase releasing a Starfox game in Japan now means they would lose money. Starfox has gradually become very unpopular in Japan for some reason. Its now Nintendo's least selling brand name charecter in Japan. That's why.

But giving the project to Retro Studios would be a very good move on their part economically speaking.

Kantō

Smash Champion
well i guess its just like how they never made a donkey kong country game on the wii, instead of those stupid spinoff games they have the blow. im surpised they havent at least made one of those with starfox.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Nooooo
They didn't make a Donkey Kong Country game because
1. Its a Rareware game. Rareware is now owned by Microsoft because Nintendo never actually bought Rareware, they were only business partners with them, so when Microsoft came to Rareware with heavy pockets and offered a huge deal of money to make games for the Xbox, they couldn't help but accept. A Donkey Kong Country Racing Two was in the works during the time, but when Rareware was bought, the game was canceled because it was owned in part by both Nintendo and Rareware. This is also why you will never see another Mortal Kombat.

2. Myamoto has HUGE hatred for the game, saying (and with good reason) that the game essentially boils down to pointless collecting, in no way rewarding the gamer for collecting the bananas, the letters, etc, except with extra lives that don't even carry over when the game is turned off. Compare this to Mario where you get power ups and other rewards for your collecting and searching. So basically, Nintendo despise the game.

Kantō

Smash Champion
another thing i though, which im sure many have though:

why not a pokemon MMO on the wii containing all the regions, wifi play/trade. i cant see them comming out with another original title on the ds/ more pokemon period. why not load all that **** onto a 3D console with
all the great stuff pokemon was great for: collecting every regions badges, helping other online players with there pokedexs, mabye form gyms of your own. there was sooooo much content in platinum version that it would be awesome to see on the wii, and not pokemon battle revoltion, ugh.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I'm not sure you are aware of how much work a MMO takes. Guild Wars tried to be a free play MMO, but once it got extremely popular, it had to start charging a fee as well so that it could pay for the servers needed to run the world efficiently. Nintendo has stated that it doesn't want to charge anyone for wifi play, ever, be it a charge to use Wii online play similar to Xbox live or be it a monthly charge to play a game like World of Warcraft. With Pokemon's extreme popularity (you can buy pokemon women's menstruation pads in Japan, yeah, its that popular) you can imagine the daunting task that it would be to try to create a game that would run by free play without a monthly service fee. Nintendo doesn't like breaking its own policies, because then its stock tend to fall, and Nintendo will never let that happen.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I'm disappointed with Nintendo because their has yet to be any news of Kirby Wii outside of one trailer from when it was on the Gamecube.

Either release the darn thing or officially cancel it, guys. You are killing me as a Kirby fan.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I know this is a just me speculating, but Retro studios did say they were working on something and that people would be VERY excited to find out what it is. Then when we take into account that Starfox is essentially no longer a viable series in Japan and is MUCH more popular within the States and Europe, we see the economic sense behind giving Retro Studios the ability to make a Starfox game.
Retro Studios working on Star Fox?

...they brought the Metroid series in the right direction (and when I say that, they changed it, keeping the same feel but still making it different), and I'm sure they'd do the same for Star Fox if they got to work on it. Hopefully it'd be just like the SNES and 64 versions. I've never played the SNES version actually but I know it was pretty much like the 64 so it would be amazing either way.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
If I remember correctly, its a collaboration between them and Nintendo, though so was the very first Metroid Prime, just to a lesser extent.

Kantō

Smash Champion
im looking forward to that, i saw some things in E3 videos that looked kool. like a side scrolling part, and zero suit. this game will probably sell very well.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I will do anything to turn people who disagree with me and offer possibilities into crazy people.
Yeah, the internet isn't serious business, and it'd be great if you'd stop working hard to refute everything I say by extending it beyond what was ACTUALLY said rather than accepting that it's possible that what you've come to a conclusion on isn't 100% factual.

(Of course it will be hard for that to happen or not happen, since this is my way of saying, "This is the point where I stop trying to argue with a wall.")

To get back on topic and not bring back that extremely stupid and pointless argument, yeah, Other M looks pretty promising. I'm excited for another Metroid game, finally. I hope they announce a new handheld game soon though, too, preferably in 2D. I love myself some Fusion and Zero Mission, I'd love to see games akin to them again.

We at least deserve a Super Metroid remake...I mean, come on, it's one of the only SNES classics that hasn't gotten a remake. (Before anyone cites Earthbound, keep in mind that it is a cult classic, not a standard classic.) ALttP, Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Kirby Super Star...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm disappointed with Nintendo because their has yet to be any news of Kirby Wii outside of one trailer from when it was on the Gamecube.

Either release the darn thing or officially cancel it, guys. You are killing me as a Kirby fan.
You to?! I've been waiting for that Kirby game for more than 5 years, I hear it's TBA this year for Japan, but my hope's isn't high if it come's out, I just want new info on that game. Nintendo seems to forget about Panel De Pon, the puzzle master piece needs a new game. I know it's on DSi Ware now, but I'm talking about an actual game not a Downloadable one. Since Panel De Pon is slowly getting into the US thanks to Smash Bros, I beleve they will have a game news coming out I hope. Sin and Punishment 2 looks epic so far, though not a game that come's out this year, I'm sure it will do fine, because that game currently looks like it's worth it.

Metroid Other M looks very promising.
You mean it looks like one of the most epic game's ever made promising then I'll agree. =3

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Next year= No More Hereos 2
Pokemon HG/SS which actually look like the best pokemon games ever
Endless Ocean 2
Monster Hunter Tri
Trauma Team
Red Steel 2 looks great compared to its previous version
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Arc Rise Fantasia
Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Epic Mickey
Sin and Punishment

If only half of these games turn out good enough,I'll be broke next year :/

D

Deleted member

From the limited time I've played Pokemon HG/SS, it's pretty good.

REL38

Smash Lord
Epic Mickey is one of those games I really wonder about.

It's taking a very different approach on a character that's been rendered as "a kid friendly mouse" and now he's being shown off as a "devious" looking guy that's squaring off against his "friends"?

I've never had a real draw towards Mickey so I have nothing against the new approach.
I just wonder if it can be effectively pulled off as a game and to the fans.

The fact that it's a Wii exclusive is odd in itself :/

po pimpus

Smash Ace
LOL @ you kids complaining.

I've been a gamer and a hardcore Nintendo fan for over twenty years... Yeah, they've dropped some steaming piles (Virtual Boy, anyone?), but for the most part, their consoles and games have been about the closest to a 'sure thing' I could expect out of gaming nowadays.

You rooks with your Call of Dutys, your Halos, and your World of Warcrafts (i.e. people who were born after 1995) have NO idea what real, actual honest-to-goodness gameplay feels like. Unless you do the majority of your gaming on DS, you just can't tell me that any of this crap out now is worth anything more than five or six hours of single-player, just to unlock a bunch of crap so you can go online and kill a bunch of racist, homophobic, loud and obnoxious people online.

There's no heart in the majority of games these days.

You people complaining about the lack of awesome third party games on Wii-- How many of you bought Muramasa: The Demon Blade?
Madworld?
Okami?
No More Heroes?
Mega ****ING Man 9?!?

They are all great games that didn't sell (except for MM9) because people like to sit on message boards and complain rather than play actual good games.

Now, I'm starting to rant a bit, but before I go, I want you to all take a breath and appreciate what you have, because if Nintendo ever goes under, then its over for gaming as a whole. Nintendo and its approach to making games (at least with the flagship titles) is something that cannot be replaced. Sony and Microsoft don't give a **** about quality-- they only want fanboyish sheep who will bend over and take it up the butt without any resistance.

/End old man gamer rant

Now I'm off to dust off my SNES-- the greatest console ever created. PERIOD.

finalark

SNORLAX

I've been a gamer and a hardcore Nintendo fan for over twenty years... Yeah, they've dropped some steaming piles (Virtual Boy, anyone?), but for the most part, their consoles and games have been about the closest to a 'sure thing' I could expect out of gaming nowadays.

You rooks with your Call of Dutys, your Halos, and your World of Warcrafts (i.e. people who were born after 1995) have NO idea what real, actual honest-to-goodness gameplay feels like. Unless you do the majority of your gaming on DS, you just can't tell me that any of this crap out now is worth anything more than five or six hours of single-player, just to unlock a bunch of crap so you can go online and kill a bunch of racist, homophobic, loud and obnoxious people online.

There's no heart in the majority of games these days.

You people complaining about the lack of awesome third party games on Wii-- How many of you bought Muramasa: The Demon Blade?
Madworld?
Okami?
No More Heroes?
Mega ****ING Man 9?!?

They are all great games that didn't sell (except for MM9) because people like to sit on message boards and complain rather than play actual good games.

Now, I'm starting to rant a bit, but before I go, I want you to all take a breath and appreciate what you have, because if Nintendo ever goes under, then its over for gaming as a whole. Nintendo and its approach to making games (at least with the flagship titles) is something that cannot be replaced. Sony and Microsoft don't give a **** about quality-- they only want fanboyish sheep who will bend over and take it up the butt without any resistance.

/End old man gamer rant

Oi, Retro Elitist, I think that your love of older games has clearly slowed your mind.
/LOTR reference
Nintedo, giving a **** about quality? And Microsoft and Sony not? Drop your security blanket and open your eyes, Mario Galaxy 2 isn't a game, it's an expansion pack! Metroid Prime trilogy? Just a re-release of the Primes. If anyone, it's Nintendo who's expecting the fanboys to just bend over and take it. They constantly put out casual games, paying only passing attention to "core" gamers and they expect people to remain satisfied. While Sony and Microsoft are actually giving games that their audience wants to play. You want a new Ratchet and Clank? Here you go! Crack in Time for ya! Oh, so you want more zombie-slayin' action? Well, then I'm sure you'll love Left for Dead 2!

Oh yes, and nostalgia... well, one thing:

"Nostalgia is like putting cocaine infused marbles into your mouth. It makes you say very stupid things."
— Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, Zero Punctuation
Yes, I do agree that the early 90s was the Golden Age of gaming, but just because you have good memories tied to something doesn't instantly make it as totally awesome as you remember it being. For instance, I had some pretty good memories tied to a particular Game Cube title from when I was younger. Then I picked it up and started playing it all over again many years later, blocking the memories so I could judge it as a game. It was terrible. So seriously, drop the whole "old games are best" and actually try some of the new ones with your Nostalgia filter turned off.

But ignore the big names, Halo became just above average after the first one, Gears of War isn't particularly good and Call of Duty... well, I never really played those. Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 2, mostly Play Station titles are worth your time, though.

And yes, Okami was amazing, I'm planning on picking up Muramasa some time and I have a friend who I'm going to borrow No More Heroes from once I'm done with Shenmue. Mega Man was never really my cup of tea, and I find it interesting that you put a Sega game on that list (I guess old wounds do heal after all).

Did I forget to mention that I had a Genesis back in the day?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
1. He wasn't saying today's games are awful. He was saying today's gamers are awful.

Mario Galaxy 2 isn't a game, it's an expansion pack!
So is 99% of the entire Xbox 360 lineup. They are the exact same game from the Xbox except with better graphics. Ever stopped to wonder why people still call this gen 'next gen' even though we are 5 years into the generation?

Simple: This generation (from all spectrums) has been a lit down on its promises and people are still waiting on that game that just screams mountans and leaps more advance than last generation. So far, this hasn't happened yet, other wise people wouldn't still call it 'next gen' 5 to 6 years in the generation.

They constantly put out casual games
This is a problem why? What's wrong with casual games? Endless Ocean is THE casual game. Yet I shall play it till the day I die. It is a wonderful piece of gaming art that I will cherish forever.
Secondly, if Call of Duty is considered hard core, then I don't want to be Hard Core. I'll play my 80 level A Boy And His Blob and enjoy true quality.

While Sony and Microsoft are actually giving games that their audience wants to play.
Says who? You? Are you the audience. I am greatly pleased by the Wii in all regards. The Wii, though not as great as the gamecube, has been a smash success to me, and I have enjoyed every minute of it, and will continue to. The idea that because YOU aren't satisfied that NO gamer is satisifed is silly.

Oh, so you want more zombie-slayin' action? Well, then I'm sure you'll love Left for Dead 2!
I thought you didn't like expansion pack games, but is that only for Nintendo games? Left For Dead 2 is smack in the face of everyone who bought Left For Dead, saying, Hey guys, you payed 50 bucks for a Beta, now buy this version for full price too.

finalark

SNORLAX
1. He wasn't saying today's games are awful. He was saying today's gamers are awful.
Really? That's not at all what I got from it. From what I read, he pretty much said the most games these days aren't particularly good. Although I seriously hate most of this generation's gamers. Stupid little twelve-year-olds screaming into their Xbox mics over Xbox live...

So is 99% of the entire Xbox 360 lineup. They are the exact same game from the Xbox except with better graphics. Ever stopped to wonder why people still call this gen 'next gen' even though we are 5 years into the generation?
Okay, no one still calls it "next gen." I haven't heard or seen those words ever since '07. And you know you've gotten me to an all-time low when I start defending the Xbox, but arguable, Nintendo is the same exact way. Hell, everyone is the same exact way with that logic. Except Sega, they seem to be constantly pumping out new franchises...

Simple: This generation (from all spectrums) has been a lit down on its promises and people are still waiting on that game that just screams mountans and leaps more advance than last generation. So far, this hasn't happened yet, other wise people wouldn't still call it 'next gen' 5 to 6 years in the generation.
Once again, when was the last time you really heard someone call it "next gen?" And honestly, do you own any other current-gen systems other than the Wii? Gears of War (regardless of how much I disliked it) pretty much invented (or reinvented, I'm not sure if there were any other 100% cover-based games before it) cover-based third-person shooters, the new Ratchet and Clank Future series isn't only a worthy successor to the epic R&C series back on the PS2, but it's actually better, and really, the whole "OMGZ REVLUTIONAZRYZZ!!!!" game concept was just super-hyped up and left over from the early 3D era, when for the most part you had to be revolutionary to survive.

This is a problem why? What's wrong with casual games? Endless Ocean is THE casual game. Yet I shall play it till the day I die. It is a wonderful piece of gaming art that I will cherish forever.
Secondly, if Call of Duty is considered hard core, then I don't want to be Hard Core. I'll play my 80 level A Boy And His Blob and enjoy true quality.
Ever since was a Boy and His Blob a casual title? Anyway, no, casual games are not a bad thing (I love Plants VS Zombies). However, it does become a problem when an entire company starts blowing off their original fans that would be more than willing to pay for another rehash for a new game in their favorite series just for casual gaming.

Says who? You? Are you the audience. I am greatly pleased by the Wii in all regards. The Wii, though not as great as the gamecube, has been a smash success to me, and I have enjoyed every minute of it, and will continue to. The idea that because YOU aren't satisfied that NO gamer is satisifed is silly.
Says who? Says me, other gamers, people beyond the Smash Boards, just look around. And besides, I was talking IN GENERAL. From what I've seen, heard, and discussed with my fellow gamers the majority finds that they are unsatisfied with the Wii. You may enjoy the Wii, this is okay, and I can understand this. Its just that IN GENERAL most people feel like they've been let down by Nintendo.

I thought you didn't like expansion pack games, but is that only for Nintendo games? Left For Dead 2 is smack in the face of everyone who bought Left For Dead, saying, Hey guys, you payed 50 bucks for a Beta, now buy this version for full price too.
I probably spoke way to soon on that one, but to me, Left 4 Dead looks like it's shaping up to be an honest-to-god sequel rather than just repackaging the same game just with some new levels, characters and weapons. But I don't know, I might have spoke to soon.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Okay, no one still calls it "next gen."
And you know you've gotten me to an all-time low when I start defending the Xbox, but arguable, Nintendo is the same exact way ell, everyone is the same exact way with that logic. Except Sega, they seem to be constantly pumping out new franchises...
And here I find the problem. You are looking at Aesthicis. A new franchise is not doing something new. Its just a new name and a new character.
Secondly, No, Nintendo is NOT doing that. Some wonderfully inventive games have come out this gen from Nintendo. I could not play Super Mario Galaxy on the Gamecube with a graphic downgrade. Its drastically different from Sunshine. (and before you bring up Galaxy 2, the changes in Galaxy 2 are far greater than those of God of War 1 to 2 and now it looks like to 3). Nintendo has constantly done something different.

On IGN when IGN mentioned that there were talks of new consoles starting to pop up from Microsoft and Sony and rumors of Nintendo, the comments complained that it was too soon because the 'next gen consols' had just come out.

Gears of War (regardless of how much I disliked it) pretty much invented (or reinvented, I'm not sure if there were any other 100% cover-based games before it) cover-based third-person shooters
No. All they did was take the elements from Resident Evil 4 and bump them up a ton. This is by no way a game that makes me feel like this is the future of gaming. They took what the critics wanted for resident Evil 4 and put it in the game and added a chain saw so that now the one hit kill gun hit move is now slow and clunky and will get you shot should you try it mid tournament match.

However, it does become a problem when an entire company starts blowing off their original fans that would be more than willing to pay for another rehash for a new game in their favorite series just for casual gaming.
I don't think you really read anything about Galaxy 2. Its not directed at the casuals. Its directed at the hard core. Its goal is to be a very difficult game. Secondly, this isn't an expansion pack. This is a new game the same as Super Mario Brothers 1 2 3 and World is. There is no difference here.

Says who? Says me, other gamers, people beyond the Smash Boards, just look around. And besides, I was talking IN GENERAL. From what I've seen, heard, and discussed with my fellow gamers the majority finds that they are unsatisfied with the Wii. You may enjoy the Wii, this is okay, and I can understand this. Its just that IN GENERAL most people feel like they've been let down by Nintendo.
So because your crowd doesn't like the Wii, no one must like it?

First off, you can't take the internet seriously. Only the most loudest and most advent fans are going to go around espousing their love/hate for a console. You can't take that as a sign of the entire gaming spectrum.

The true test of a systems success with the fans is sales, and Nintendo clearly has that, even if some amazing games don't sell on Wii, but I could point out just as many that don't on Xbox, such as Blazblue. In fact things like that aren't new at all. Ico sold horribly, as did Katamari Damatichi, Okami on the PS2, Psyconauts, the list goes on. Simply because it happens on occasion on a Nintendo consol people point out that it must be Nintendo's fault. This all dates back to a market smear campaign by Sega that claimed the same thing.

It was once claimed that the Wii was rarely paid, well now Wii chanel lets people submit the hours played and Nintendo releases charts of which games are most played each week and we see the opposite. We see that these games are played an equal amount except there being more Wiis more games are being played. Even more, not all 'casual games' fill the list. Brawl is the top of course, and then there are others like Fire Emblem. I'd have to go look at the article on Kotaku again to see it.

We Wii-ers are just fine. We wove ware wii wand ware wii ware.
World of Goo> Xbox 360's Entire line up.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
So wait....the entire point of finalark's arguement is just because Nintendo pumps out sequels they are bad, but when Microsoft or Sony do the same it's okay?

I can see what you want: You want Nintendo to do more innovation in their games, right? Yeah, same here. But I'm also perfectly fine with sequels. If I wasn't, then I wouldn't be a Pokemon fan or a Kirby fan, would I?

I still think there need to be more games like Kirby Canvas Curse, that actually take full advantage of the system they are on(Canvas Curse Wii would be pretty nifty, actually).

EDIT:
Epic Mickey looks like a failed attempt to make the Disney universe darker. That's what Kingdom Hearts is for.
Actually, Epic Mickey is just trying to return Mickey to his roots: he is still nice, but he has a mischevious side to him.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Yeah, the internet isn't serious business, and it'd be great if you'd stop working hard to refute everything I say by extending it beyond what was ACTUALLY said rather than accepting that it's possible that what you've come to a conclusion on isn't 100% factual.

(Of course it will be hard for that to happen or not happen, since this is my way of saying, "This is the point where I stop trying to argue with a wall.")
I was merely pointing out that it is unreasonable to believe that the help guide was not at least part of why NSMB Wii is a more difficult game.

But okay.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
...I can already tell this is going to be good.

Hey, I actually like the Virtual Boy.

But the Wii is definitely not a "sure thing".

...You do realize that you just generalized everyone in this thread, then limited it to the people who were born after 1995, therefore making your generalization fail?

Despite not being included in your generalization, I'll respond anyways...

I hate Call of Duty, I find Halo to be mostly generic and boring, I've never played WoW (but I'd love to see you go and tell Azua she's doing it wrong.)

Also, as someone who's clearly a big fan of retro games, I find it funny that you act as if it's impossible to get a hold of retro consoles, pretending as if they're not even an option.

Not to mention, while inferior quality-wise and not my choice, Virtual Console on Wii makes it pretty easy to play those old games.

I do the majority of my gaming on any console before this generation, with an exception made for games like Twilight Princess on Wii (which I still need to get for GameCube) and Mirror's Edge on 360.

/End old man gamer rant
With the way Nintendo is today, I don't see a huge problem with them going under.

You say that Nintendo cares about quality while Sony and Microsoft don't? I'm not going to debate about Sony and Microsoft since I don't care all that much about either of them, but...all Nintendo cares about is making money. As makes sense for them, since they're a business and their ultimate goal is to make money, but that doesn't change what their goal is.

Gaming in general has experienced a definite downturn this generation, with EVERYONE.

...Well, at least you got me to agree on one point.

I actually think he was saying both.

So is 99% of the entire Xbox 360 lineup.
Okay, so we're agreed, all of this generation's consoles suck.

How does this help your argument for Nintendo any?

The problem is if there are ONLY casual games.

And Call of Duty sucks, I agree on that.

I don't think you really read anything about Galaxy 2. Its not directed at the casuals. Its directed at the hard core. Its goal is to be a very difficult game. Secondly, this isn't an expansion pack. This is a new game the same as Super Mario Brothers 1 2 3 and World is. There is no difference here.
Everyone keeps using these games as examples, but you guys do realize that the gameplay changes between those games were actually quite drastic? There's a reason many people dislike SMB2 but love 1/3.

The true test of a systems success with the fans is sales, and Nintendo clearly has that, even if some amazing games don't sell on Wii, but I could point out just as many that don't on Xbox, such as Blazblue. In fact things like that aren't new at all. Ico sold horribly, as did Katamari Damatichi, Okami on the PS2, Psyconauts, the list goes on. Simply because it happens on occasion on a Nintendo consol people point out that it must be Nintendo's fault. This all dates back to a market smear campaign by Sega that claimed the same thing.

It was once claimed that the Wii was rarely paid, well now Wii chanel lets people submit the hours played and Nintendo releases charts of which games are most played each week and we see the opposite. We see that these games are played an equal amount except there being more Wiis more games are being played. Even more, not all 'casual games' fill the list. Brawl is the top of course, and then there are others like Fire Emblem. I'd have to go look at the article on Kotaku again to see it.

We Wii-ers are just fine. We wove ware wii wand ware wii ware.
World of Goo> Xbox 360's Entire line up.
That argument is ineffective in so many ways.

1. SALES MEAN NOTHING. Seriously. All it means is that someone thought a game was going to be good enough to buy it. I bought Brawl, that counts into the sales of Brawl, but I hate the game if it isn't hacked.

2. Finalark is talking about Nintendo fans. 90% of the Wii's sales are coming from the casual gamers.

3. I don't even use the Nintendo Channel because it could pick up Homebrew. I imagine many other hardcore fans who have hacked their Wii to get something out of it do the same.

I was merely pointing out that it is unreasonable to believe that the help guide was not at least part of why NSMB Wii is a more difficult game.

But okay.
If it makes you feel better, okay.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Unless you view 95% of videogames as expansion packs (in which case I agree), I don't think it's particularly appropriate to call Galaxy 2 an expansion pack.

Not that I care for 3d platformers...

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=2717]Nintendo has hit a brick wall.[/drupal]

I wanted to write something up about this, but at the time of the news I was too busy with my schooling to do so. But hey, better late than never, right? So little over a week ago, reports say that Wii sales plummeted. Iwata, the President of Nintendo, says that "the Wii has stalled" and that "games of high demand could not be continually released."

Okay, no, that's not the case. I think that Nintendo has just hit a wall and is pretty **** close to being out of ideas. Think about it, Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, The Metroid Prime Trilogy, what do these all have in common? The billion-dollar answer is that they're all rehashes of some sort. It might be because I'm pretty critical-minded, but I am the only one who thought that Nintendo was running out of ideas when they announced Super Mario Galaxy 2? It's like they're saying "we have no ideas for a fresh and inventive Mario title so we're just going to give you the last game only with more levels and OMG IT HAZ YOSHIZ!1!!1" And they already put out a remake of classic Mario so why must you make a Wii version? No new ideas to milk the Mario cash cow with? And the Prime trilogy, okay, if you can't see how this is a rehash then you should go hit your head against something hard. And let's not forget "play on Wii" or whatever it's called, porting Game Cube games with Wii controls, really, Nintendo? Nintendo has hit a dead end, a good amount of their fan base has left them for Sony or Microsoft, casual gamers (or as I like to call them, "those with the attention span of the Japanese public") seem to have gotten over the Wii and moved on. At this point, it really feels like Nintendo as just hit a brick wall, their casual cash-cows don't seem to be as interested in the Wii as they once were and too many disappointments have caused a number of Nintendo fans to move on.

I already wrote another blog talking about what I think Nintendo should do to try and get their fans back. So I'll keep those comments to a minimum. But with casual gamers getting bored and moving on, "core" gamers giving up and moving on and Nintendo running out of ideas, one must wonder what will happen to Nintendo. I believe that now is the time for Nintendo to get their heads straight and try and earn its fans back with the games that they want to play, not Wii (insert noun/verb here), but F-Zero, Star Fox, and other series. To me, it feels like Nintendo doesn't really know what do with their other franchises besides their three biggest money makers, Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. And even with those, their starting to run dry. As stated earlier, Mario has now become the king of rehashes, Zelda... well, okay, they're doing a great job with Zelda (PEOPLE DID NOT GIVE TWILIGHT PRINCESS A CHANCE) but Pokemon is pretty much the rehash god. So if they're running dry there, then why don't they actually give what fans are asking for and make new games from their other franchises? Actually, at this point it would be nice to see Nintendo put some effort out and actually make several new franchises rather than just making the same games year after year. However, that new Punch Out game was a step in the right direction. Ultimately boiling everything down, I think that if Nintendo doesn't get its act together, then by the time that next-gen rolls around we may find that the Wii ends up being Nintendo's last console.
...Seriously, Finalark?

Seriously?

I respect you and everything, I think you're a pretty cool guy. You tend to go out of your way to report on trends you pick up on in the video game media.

But then for you to go say something as old as this recycled rant?

Thank God Nintendo don't listen to the gaming community; they'd be bankrupt already if they tried to please the unpleaseable.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Hey, I just wanted to say that I do own ALL three 'next-gen' systems (PS3,Wii,Xbox360, well the 360 just RROD not too long ago--QUALITY manufacturing right there) and if it weren't for Muramasa, and my occasional Smash or BlazBlue matches with my friends, I'd probably not be playing anything other than my DS.

That right there is a terrible indictment on the state of the industry AS A WHOLE. Yeah, there are some great games coming down the pipe-- I will kill for an advance copy of Bayonetta, and Metroid: Other M looks to be one of those watershed moments for the series-- but I am terribly disappointed in the lack of passion and soul in most of today's games.

Did I say every game made today is terrible? No. There are some great games, but they are sadly few and far between. The lack of innovative ideas is another... We are living in the online age; Where are the innovative online multiplayer games? I'm not just talking about MMORPGs-- Where is the Grand Theft Auto: Mob Boss Edition, where you can form your own gang, team up with other players and create a huge crime family, organizing gang hits, heists, etc?

Also, yeah, I may have generalized a bit, but tell me, how many kids aged 16 or below espouse the virtues of this current gen and completely **** on the great games of yesteryear because they 'look ugly' or are 'stupid'. If you've never touched an SNES or a Genesis, you just don't know ENOUGH about gaming to argue against games like Yoshi's Island, Castle of Illusion, any Square or Enix (before the merger) RPG, or just about any Capcom or Konami game from that era.

I'm done with this thread, because I only stopped in because of the extreme Nintendo hate in here.

TL;DR version: This generation's gamers suck and so do the game companies... That's why gaming is no more than an occasional hobby to me now.

Top Bottom