• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo has hit a brick wall.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Instead of trying to find holes in my points, how about you go back and think about everything that's been said?
Except when I review everything you have said, it is contradictory and thus fails to make a point.

Now, you either gripe at Nintendo for over appeasing its fans, or you gripe at them for not appeasing their fans, but you can't claim both at once.

Secondly, you also say that "Sony and Microsoft give their fans what they want" though you complain that Nintendo does the same thing. However, simply becaues you have heard some people complain about the Wii you assume that all of the fan base must be, though when we look at the numbers we don't see that.

http://kotaku.com/5395956/the-10-most-avidly+played-wii-games-in-america-as-of-nov-1
Please note that Kotaku comment section is notoriously full of trolls, and this is no different. However, no troll can disprove the numbers shown here. These numbers are clearly adaqet to show plenty of fans are getting plenty of play time out of their games.

Now we as Lord Bowser has already pointed out about the rehash side, you can't judge a game based on its trailer alone. If I did that, then God of War III would be an amazing game and Heavy Rain wouldn't just be The Indigo Prophecy 1.5 and Resident Evil 5 wouldn't be Resident Evil 4.5

Now, compare Mario Galaxy to what Sony and Microsfot are doing.
Tons of DLC, just look at how many things that should have been standard that game in the form of DLC for Street Fighter.
New versions of the same game, litterally! I laughed when I walked into a store and saw Fall Out 3: Game of the Year Addition, and then when I go onto Gamespot and to PS3 and look at top ranked games I see Resident Evil 5: Alternative Addition. These games have FAR less new content when compared to New Super Mario Brothers and Super Mario Galaxy 2. these games do NOT include 98 percent new levels. Those games are the TRUTH definition of rehash.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Here, let me correct this

Simply because use were not entertained does not mean that other Nintendo fans are entertained. In fact, many of your gripes about what Nintendo is doing is just down right silly.
Your wording is throwing me off here, so I don't know exactly what you're saying, but I'm assuming you meant to say, "Simply because you were not entertained does not mean that other Nintendo fans are not entertained." (Otherwise A) "Use" is in there and doesn't make sense and B) I would be saying that everyone else does the opposite of what I do, which doesn't make sense.)

I can't figure out what exactly you're trying to say with "fixing" my statement (I really find it obnoxious when people do that, by the way), since yes, I didn't see it before because I was satisfied...and I'm saying MANY gamers didn't see it before because the gaming community was split into two factions:

1. Nintendo fans, who liked Nintendo.

2. Nintendo haters, who thought Nintendo was too kiddie.

Neither of them thought Nintendo sold out. The people who didn't like Nintendo simply thought they were making crappy games. The issue with gamers now isn't that their games are bad, it's that their games aren't fun for those who are having a problem BECAUSE they're catering specifically towards another crowd.

Second of all, my complaints aren't "silly". I consider myself to be a very logic-based person and if something that I think/believe is exposed to me as not making so much sense I tend to realize that and change that. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean they're silly.

Let's take your complaint about the help code. I proposed several situations that were so horribly stupid that a help code would have saved me from litterally breaking my controller or walking past a barely visible door for an entire month.

Your response: You can go on the internet and look up how to beat it.

No, that is a horrible way to look at it. That's like saying that balancing a game's difficulty is stupid because you can load in Action Replay or Gameshark.
Bahaha, I love this.

First of all, let's be serious, you literally breaking a controller isn't the game's fault, it's your fault. Even when I've thrown controllers in rage (a few times) I haven't broken them. So you can't act like the game is so mind-blowingly difficult that it's common to break a controller over it.

Second of all, hell yes, if you're that angry that you're breaking a controller, you ought to do something to help yourself figure it out or quit the game altogether. I don't know why that's a horrible approach.

Third of all, just because you couldn't figure it out doesn't mean it's a stupidly difficult situation. I'm not calling you stupid, I'm sure you aren't at all, so don't think I'm saying that, but what I am saying is that I'm almost positive that tidbit about the hidden alley was hinted at somewhere in the game.

Finally, that's not like saying a game's difficulty can be balanced by AR or GS at all. When did hacking become equivalent to looking up hints for a game if you cannot figure them out? Besides, if it is, you're proposing that the solution instead should be for the developers to give you a built in AR or GS. That's not any better. In fact, it's worse, because it does it for you in-game, meaning you get to see it actually done.

Here we see an attempt by the developer to make the game more enjoyable for those who may other wise become other wise unjustly frustrated, as I was with Paper Mario Thousand Year Door. Its an attempt to solve something the developer can not accurately predict and respond to: gamer's fault.
Seriously, you're saying that it's stupid to take my approach because the developer should put in the hints for you.

Now, you your self had argued earlier in another blog that games were suppose to be fun, not hard
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Either you're misquoting me or I had a really stupid day.

First of all, link me to this blog if you can, I can only vaguely recall an argument like this.

Most importantly, if I'm remembering correctly, the only thing I would've said is that games should be fun, and that hard isn't a necessity. I love difficulty in games. I don't mind easy games, there are some which I love quite a bit, but I generally don't enjoy games that are easy as much as I tend to enjoy harder ones.

My guess is that someone told me I was a difficulty-nazi and I was trying to explain that difficulty isn't a necessity, I just prefer it.

and here is an attempt by a developer attempting to take out not the technical difficulty but to cut down on the gamer just missing something within the design. The helper code is a wonderful game addition, and seeing it as a bad thing because someone can access the same information outside of the game is silly. While we are at that, let's not include instruction manuals or in game move set guides because I can just go onto SRK and find all that information out on my own. No.
No, you're twisting around what I'm saying.

I'm not saying that Kind Code is bad BECAUSE you can look it up on the internet.

I'm saying Kind Code is bad because the developer shouldn't explicitly make difficulties optional. I'm saying as a rebuttal of the argument "GAMES ARE DIFFICULT THIS IS GOOD SO I CAN FIGURE THINGS OUT" that if you really have that much trouble the developer doesn't need to do it for you,

To your second point, that's a really bad comparison (but then again, you're basing this off the changing of my words.)

Puzzles and difficulties are the reason you play video games. The point of a video game is overcoming a challenge to complete it. You're not just trying to get through it by any method possible, like a book or movie, you're trying to overcome difficulties and then get to the ending.

The fundamental controls are supposed to be a given. That's something the game is supposed to give you.

Since when are the solutions to puzzles and difficulties supposed to be given to you? Or if you feel that it should change to be that way, then why are you playing video games?

Nintendo has the sales and the statistics on play time to show that gamers are happy and appeased with what they have brought them, simply because you and others are not does not mean that Nintendo fans as a whole have not had their needs met.
I just love how everyone keeps bringing up sales without refuting the rebuttal to that argument the last time. Same goes for Nintendo Channel statistics.

Just to make it clear, I'll spell it out again:

SALES. MEAN. NOTHING.

They don't show how satisfied someone is with something, it just shows how good hype and advertisements were; how convinced someone was that something would be good.

Furthermore, no one's contesting Nintendo's large sales, but we KNOW that the casuals make up the majority of the Wii's audience, whether or not the core fans are satisfied with the Wii. To deny that would be silly, and therefore saying that Nintendo has sales to back up that a minority of the population is satisfied is silly.

Furthermore, Nintendo Channel statistics are also pointless to the extent that I'm surprised you even brought them to the table.

First of all, it's an inaccurate representation of the population because not everyone uses it. I don't use it, especially not since I got the Homebrew Channel and didn't really feel like telling Nintendo, "GUESS WHAT I'VE GOT ON MY WII?!"

Second of all, it is generally agreed that casual gamers are not as avid as the core gamers. That's why they're "casual". Core gamers play games as a very large hobby, while casual gamers say "Hey this looks cool" and pick a game up. While casuals love themselves some Wii Sports, they probably don't play it very often, or at least not for very long.

Furthermore, just because hardcore games are the most played on the Wii doesn't mean people are satisfied with the Wii. It means they have a Wii, they have core titles for the Wii, and they are satisfied with those core titles -- maybe not even that, but they've just played them for a while. I own Brawl, I've played Vs. alone for a little over 100 hours, but I don't like the game that much anymore. I'm satisfied with Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 for sure, but I'm not satisfied with my Wii as a whole.

Finally, what games tend to require the largest time investment? That's right, core titles, because they're designed for people who play games a lot and therefore want more to do in the game to make their purchase worth it.

In response to your argument, I say this: Just because you and the people you know are satisfied with the Wii does not mean all Nintendo fans are having their needs met.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The issue with gamers now isn't that their games are bad, it's that their games aren't fun for those who are having a problem BECAUSE they're catering specifically towards another crowd.
And why is this market more or less valid than the other? What makes a gamer who is 18 more valid than a gamer who plays Wii Sports too relieve stress from work? Nothing. If Nintendo feels that they should go after that market, then they are welcome too. However, I don't see what you see. I see Nintendo returning to its roots, offering gaming for everyone.

First of all, let's be serious, you literally breaking a controller isn't the game's fault, it's your fault. Even when I've thrown controllers in rage (a few times) I haven't broken them. So you can't act like the game is so mind-blowingly difficult that it's common to break a controller over it.
It wasn't mind blowingly difficult. In fact, it was exceedingly easy and stupid. It came from my mistake, not the developers for making it too hard or anything more or less.

Second of all, hell yes, if you're that angry that you're breaking a controller, you ought to do something to help yourself figure it out or quit the game altogether. I don't know why that's a horrible approach.
From the gamer's side its a smart thing to do, but from the development side, when the gamer has to go to out side sources to beat your game, you've done something wrong. Paper Mario Thousand Year Door had a system to help out with that, though I didn't know about it and failed to use it. In fact, there are two 3 sytems in which the game has designed out side of environmental hints to aid the gamer, one being a pay system done in Rouge Port the other being a hint maker character.

I'm almost positive that tidbit about the hidden alley was hinted at somewhere in the game.
Again, my point isn't that the developers failed, but that I failed to notice the small visual hint in the wall. Because me and the developer did not notice the same things (something he can't predict) I failed miserably. this same situation can be aquated to the final levels of Super Mario 3.

When did hacking become equivalent to looking up hints for a game if you cannot figure them out?
Because these are systems that exist outside of the game and the developer should not take them into consideration when designing the game.

I'm saying Kind Code is bad because the developer shouldn't explicitly make difficulties optional. I'm saying as a rebuttal of the argument "GAMES ARE DIFFICULT THIS IS GOOD SO I CAN FIGURE THINGS OUT" that if you really have that much trouble the developer doesn't need to do it for you
Remember, Mario is made for children. This is not developed just for you, but for children as well. a 4 year old may very well need that to beat the game.

Puzzles and difficulties are the reason you play video games.
No, they are the reason YOU play video games. I play video games for 1 of two reasons, to relax or to be competitive. There is no in between with me. If its to be competitive, its against another person and most likely a fighting game. If its to relax, its single player. Endless Ocean has barely if any puzzels. Its a relaxing game and gives me exactly what I look for in a single player game, and somehow manages to bring it to the multilayer side as well. I don't play Mario games because I like beating them, in fact half the time I just enjoy messing around, especially in Sunshine.

Don't assert what you pull out of games on other people. There are multiple reasons to play video games.

You're not just trying to get through it by any method possible, like a book or movie, you're trying to overcome difficulties and then get to the ending.
I am, unless I am just messing around like my all badge point run of PM:TYD. Then there are people who always use cheat code because they don't want a challenge, they want to have fun. I don't play Metal Gear Solid because I love its challenges, I play through it, any means necessary, to get to the story segments and to explore the wonderful easter eggs and the vibrant worlds.

To reply to the entire numbers argument:

Sales and the Nintendo channels most played games do matter as they are the only tangible way to weigh their success with their fans. I present play hours equal to that of Sony and Microsoft even without 100 percent reporting in as you had pointed out. I haven't submitted my results either. Yes, casuals are not going to play for long in comparison, but that wasn't my point, my point was the total hours played, not the games being play themselves. These hours are very respectable despite the range and percent of the Wii population being accessed here.

Secondly, stop talking about 'core'. **** 'core' gamers. I could care less about 'core' games. Endless Ocean to me is more powerful than any 'core' game I've ever played, despite being 100 percent casual with NO GOAL, NO CHALLENGE, NO RISK. Its gives me exactly what I need out of a single player experience in just the way I wanted it. 'Core' gamers are NOT the only gamers that matter, they are NOT Nintendo's only fan base.

Tenki

Smash Hero
someboredprospectivegamedesigner.

Er, I had a quote about graphics here, but I deleted it ;D
This is a little off-topic but interesting to think about when you're talking about games.

[realism - graphics, physics, AI, and interaction]
When people play games, there's usually some suspension of disbelief that goes on. The more realistic graphics/physics/AI get, the more you expect from a game. Some tired example that I've heard is the kind of disappointment/failure that'd come out of making GTA feel/promise too much freedom - you can't just 'quit' the life of crime and get a job as a store clerk, let alone enter any building you want.

Unrealistic graphics/physics kind of keep the door open to more fantastical ideas (specifically, with gameplay [lol, and I say this because of the existence of certain RPGs]) so your vision of gameplay isn't as clouded by your perceptions of reality.
but it's somewhat arguable that some people's perceptions of reality are clouded by their visions of gameplay lolol

I don't really remember where I was going with that. But you could probably fill it in. Probably something about wii and the unknown boundaries of motion control.

but anyway, that's not to say that low-fi is all that awesome. Just as it's bad to run into the limits of a game through too much effort, it's probably even worse to run into the limits of a game because there's too little effort :laugh:

OH NO :(
I suck SO BAD at the 2D mario games unless I'm on Yoshi. That game is going to kill me :(
insert MM9. that game had some lulzy traps.

I'd rather go on what the developer says about his own game than your assumptions.

Of course they'll change their games if they find people are actually avoiding them due to difficulty. I'd feel like I failed too if my game's design was putting off potential customers.
Optional difficulty is fine. In achievement-based and/or short-term casual games, being able to choose difficulty is a great thing. You choose your level of satisfaction and set your own bar for your goal. It works pretty well especially if the story is unimportant and/or cliché.

However, especially in more story-heavy games, there definitely shouldn't be an easy-mode, or more softly put, a full reward to easy-mode.

Some games have approached this issue a few ways:
- TWEWY with its experimental gameplay system had an easy difficulty and 'auto' mode for the top screen. You could get to the regular ending going easy the whole time, but in order to get the 'full' story, you had to collect a bunch of reports and even play on hard+ difficulty. However, the final boss is ludicrous and they were 'kind' enough to not require you to play it on hard :laugh:

and on a more anecdotal note:
I believe Fire Emblem is believed to be a game of high difficulty. Depending upon if you are new to the series though. Play on easy and normal mode and you can get through the game by simply abusing the battle save feature in Radiant Dawn. Play on Hard Mode however and it is certainly not very easy.
I was playing FE9 (Path of Radiance) again over the summer, playing on Hard difficulty for the fun of it. I was a gamer who did things on easy/normal because I wanted to get to the ending, but I kinda wanted to see what higher difficulties had to offer.

FE9 did something interesting with the last stage/boss on Hard that I thought was a pretty cool idea that could be taken further in other story-based games.
lol @ ashnard reviving himself into over-powered mode, THEN getting reinforcements. I expected that kind of twist when I first played (normal) but it didn't happen, so I didn't expect it on my re-run on hard. It was satisfying.
higher difficulty --> more rewarding experience sounds cool.

Don't assert what you pull out of games on other people. There are multiple reasons to play video games.
To go in this further, some other reasons people play games:
- immersion and/or story (RPG, MMO)
- emotional release (angsty fps players. :mad:)
- competition
- 'something to do' with friends (social/party game usage)
- waste time
- fun
- accomplishment
- fame
- challenge

I'm not saying it's a comprehensive list - in fact, most of these motivations have overlaps.

Just a bit of randomness

:093:

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
^Optional difficulty is nice, but not something you can really put in a mario game :p

Some people play games for the music, exploring and relaxing. Not for challenge at all.

Past mario games were ridiculously difficult to the point that some people gave up in them. For example, my sister and dad did: Lost levels was a no-go. They would play up to world 3 in Mario Bros 3 and stop. In Mario World my sister would just hang around the first few worlds and repeat the same levels while I unlocked more. They never got to appreciate the rest of the game because they couldn't.

You may not see the worth in Kind Code, but Nintendo sees its worth for these people. I know that as a developer I would be disappointed if people who were genuinely interested could never see the second half of my game. Why shouldn't they be able to see more of the game they paid for?

(and no, regardless of how hard they tried, they were never going to get past those points in previous mario titles)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
hmm seems as if this discussion has changed pace a bit. 2 points have been brought up: Kind Code, and Sales.

Kind Code: It's so mom and dad and baby can play with the teen. Mom and dad will (assumed by developer) suck, as will baby, and teen will be mad skilled. so when he starts yelling "no mom no dad don't go down there oh you idiot!" instead they can just say "hey remember if you fall behind or get stuck just press such-n-such and you'll make it." and the harsh words of teen against family will not have ensued. Nintendo should be Japanese for Fun.

Sales: Mean enough that they're tracked. Let us be more specific for this. Launch sales mean little, because they're about how well the marketing strategy went. The hype. Long-term sales mean much more, as they demonstrate Reputation, the word-of-mouth response, or in today's age, the internet response.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
And why is this market more or less valid than the other? What makes a gamer who is 18 more valid than a gamer who plays Wii Sports too relieve stress from work? Nothing. If Nintendo feels that they should go after that market, then they are welcome too. However, I don't see what you see. I see Nintendo returning to its roots, offering gaming for everyone.
No, my point is that last generation the complaint wasn't, "The games aren't mature enough for me!" The complaint was "I'm too cool for these kiddie games."

And they're not offering gaming for everyone, they're offering gaming for everyone but their fan base because they make the most money appealing to the majority of people as opposed to the minority that is (or at least used to be) their fan base.

It wasn't mind blowingly difficult. In fact, it was exceedingly easy and stupid. It came from my mistake, not the developers for making it too hard or anything more or less.
...Okay...so this is an argument for the developers helping you how?

(Though I wouldn't call it exceedingly easy...it wasn't impossible, but I was shocked when I found that after passing by it the whole game.)

From the gamer's side its a smart thing to do, but from the development side, when the gamer has to go to out side sources to beat your game, you've done something wrong. Paper Mario Thousand Year Door had a system to help out with that, though I didn't know about it and failed to use it. In fact, there are two 3 sytems in which the game has designed out side of environmental hints to aid the gamer, one being a pay system done in Rouge Port the other being a hint maker character.
Except you don't HAVE to. If everyone had to go to outside sources to beat the game then NO ONE would've ever beaten it and that guide on GameFAQs wouldn't exist for you to reference.

You even said it's your fault that it happened and NOT the developers, specifically (refer to the quote above this one) so I don't get what you're saying here. You basically just said "It's completely my fault, not the developers', but the developers should never have let that happen."

Could you just clarify what you're trying to say?

Because these are systems that exist outside of the game and the developer should not take them into consideration when designing the game.
Even so, there is a fundamental difference between a device generally used to directly cheat and a system used to progress when you have trouble. Nintendo themselves will put out guidebooks, it's just that no one actually buys them anymore because of the internet. Nintendo does anything possible to prevent people from doing anything with AR or Gecko or any sort of thing like that.

Remember, Mario is made for children. This is not developed just for you, but for children as well. a 4 year old may very well need that to beat the game.
I think 4-year-old is an exaggeration...I think 4-year-olds have trouble beating video games of any sort. I really can't imagine a 4-year-old beating TTYD in particular.

I'd argue that Mario is made for all ages, not children. And unless you're specifically aiming at really young children, I don't see anyone under 6 beating the game most of the time.

No, they are the reason YOU play video games. I play video games for 1 of two reasons, to relax or to be competitive. There is no in between with me. If its to be competitive, its against another person and most likely a fighting game. If its to relax, its single player. Endless Ocean has barely if any puzzels. Its a relaxing game and gives me exactly what I look for in a single player game, and somehow manages to bring it to the multilayer side as well. I don't play Mario games because I like beating them, in fact half the time I just enjoy messing around, especially in Sunshine.
I worded that incorrectly, I apologize.

Games, and in this case specifically video games, are supposed to present some sort of goal that you achieve by surpassing some sot of puzzle, challenge, etc. That's anything from finding that hidden alley to using momentum from portals to reach a ledge to overcoming Tabuu to finding that key phrase describing a piece of evidence to expose a lie in an Ace Attorney game.

There is some sort of goal to most video games (and those that don't are arguably something else implemented on a game console -- that's not necessarily a bad thing, though), and you do something to achieve that goal. And that is the point of playing video games. While you can certainly use them for other purposes, and I certainly enjoy fooling around in Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, etc., that's not what developers make a game for.

Either way, my initial point stands, and that is that when there ARE puzzles or challenges in a game, the point is to solve them. When there are controls in a game (i.e. when a game exists) the idea is that you're given them, so there's a fundamental difference between not bothering with a manual and not bothering with a built-in help system.

I'm not, again I apologize for wording it incorrectly.

I am, unless I am just messing around like my all badge point run of PM:TYD. Then there are people who always use cheat code because they don't want a challenge, they want to have fun. I don't play Metal Gear Solid because I love its challenges, I play through it, any means necessary, to get to the story segments and to explore the wonderful easter eggs and the vibrant worlds.
Okay, once again, I worded that incorrectly.

Game developers are not designing games with the idea that people will be playing games simply to get through them.

And realistically, if you care little enough about the gameplay to have the game play itself for you with Kind Code, why don't you just go on YouTube?

To reply to the entire numbers argument:

Sales and the Nintendo channels most played games do matter as they are the only tangible way to weigh their success with their fans.
Exactly. We have no solid evidence of whether people are satisfied or not because that's the only thing we have and it's unreliable.

I present play hours equal to that of Sony and Microsoft even without 100 percent reporting in as you had pointed out. I haven't submitted my results either. Yes, casuals are not going to play for long in comparison, but that wasn't my point, my point was the total hours played, not the games being play themselves. These hours are very respectable despite the range and percent of the Wii population being accessed here.
I really don't understand how they show anything. A lot of hardcore gamers bought a Wii, for sure. Once you have a Wii you're going to try and make some use out of it, it costs $250, for crying out loud. All Nintendo Channel statistics show is that hardcore games are the most played.

Secondly, stop talking about 'core'. **** 'core' gamers. I could care less about 'core' games. Endless Ocean to me is more powerful than any 'core' game I've ever played, despite being 100 percent casual with NO GOAL, NO CHALLENGE, NO RISK. Its gives me exactly what I need out of a single player experience in just the way I wanted it. 'Core' gamers are NOT the only gamers that matter, they are NOT Nintendo's only fan base.
...If you don't consider yourself a core gamer, then WHY did you contest what I said in the first place? It's the CORE FAN BASE that is unhappy with the Wii. The soccer moms are probably part of Nintendo's fan base at this point too, but you'd have to be stupid to say they're disappointed with the Wii.

(And yes, you've explained to me how much you like Endless Ocean at least 3 times now.)

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
And they're not offering gaming for everyone, they're offering gaming for everyone but their fan base because they make the most money appealing to the majority of people as opposed to the minority that is (or at least used to be) their fan base.
Again, because you and others are not happy does not mean that their fan base as an entirety is not happy.

...Okay...so this is an argument for the developers helping you how?
Because it was a moment the developer could not have predicted nor avoided aside from putting a giant arrow pointing "GO HERE." What the helper code does is take out the chance that a less experienced gamer (as I was with Paper Mario, I didn't know the screen could turn like that at all, it was my first paper Mario game and I had no idea they would do things like that) is allow them to see an example of what to do. Doesn't mean they will be able to do it, I'm convinced that the main reason for my major fail on the 2D Mario games has to do with my intimidation by them thus making a large mental gap that keeps me from making the jumps that I should, but regardless of how easy it makes for them, it gives gamers who NEED an option the option of it. Complaining about an option that isn't going to effect you is silly. Its the equivalent of complaining about that they gave a game an Easy mode because that takes away the challenge.

Except you don't HAVE to. If everyone had to go to outside sources to beat the game then NO ONE would've ever beaten it and that guide on GameFAQs wouldn't exist for you to reference.
Simply because they didn't have to doesn't mean I won't have to. Even then, how is Super Mario going to transition into a GameFAQ? A written description is only going to get you so far in Super Mario.

Even so, there is a fundamental difference between a device generally used to directly cheat and a system used to progress when you have trouble. Nintendo themselves will put out guidebooks, it's just that no one actually buys them anymore because of the internet. Nintendo does anything possible to prevent people from doing anything with AR or Gecko or any sort of thing like that.
The level of help the device gives shouldn't be important. If the developer stops and thinks, "How will they know what to do now? Oh, I guess they can look it up if they are lost" No, that's not something a developer should do. In a game liker Mario, they would present a more obvious example in earlier levels to provide a basis for knowing what to do. World 1 is almost always there to show you the limits of Mario's jump and abilities so you can get a field of him. Mario Brothers 3 1-1 is there to demonstrate the flying ability. Now, we can expect these things in the new Mario world as they have remained presistent in all Mario games, Sunshine to an even greater extent with the first world being a tutorial of sorts, however, can we expect a young child to correctly comprehend what to do at all times? No, we can't, especially considering the 2 levels I saw on the live stream earlier. Now, since this code is an OPTION and Nintendo generally has been opposed to separate difficulty modes, this is a way to create the game they want while still giving the younger crowd a chance to succeeded at the game.

I think 4-year-old is an exaggeration...I think 4-year-olds have trouble beating video games of any sort. I really can't imagine a 4-year-old beating TTYD in particular.
Generally, most RPGs aren't designed for 4 year olds, though Pokemon has a simple enough concept that it generally fits well enough with them. Other than a few bossess, TYD isn't SO hard that I couldn't see a 4 year old beating it though. Its rather self explanitory.

Don't jump on spikey villains
Don't touch fire villains.
And a very easy to comprehend level up program.

The only thing that would hold a 4 year old back is there ability to read, though I did fine through Super Mario RPG at that age, and that game was even harder O_O, unless you count the 100 level pit

I'd argue that Mario is made for all ages, not children.
Which is exactly why this is needed, to make a game that reaches for all ages.
Its an option, so the point of you complaining for something that was designed for an audience less experienced than you is a little silly.

Games, and in this case specifically video games, are supposed to present some sort of goal that you achieve by surpassing some sot of puzzle, challenge, etc.
And in here lies a hurtle that Game Developers have been talking about since last generation begain, how do we get games that don't feel like a game to appeal towards a different audience. Now, I'm not saying that ALL Video Games should feel like a game, but that there is a market (me included) for games that offer something different. The result that came out with it in an attempt to try to break this mold?

There are others out there, but this is a shining example of the kinds of creativity that can be unlocked when you abandon the traditional ideas behind a video game, that being to view it as a game. Some designers wish to make more than games, they wish to make works of art, and in order for some games to reach that mark, it will be necessary for them to break these traditional ideas of Video Games that you hold so dear. Of course, there will always be game-y video games, but we should not limit ourself to the traditions of challenges and puzzles. A Video Game at its very basics is nothing more than an interactive experience. To create the most interactions (the most options) and the biggest amount of experience (different for what the user is looking for) is the goal of a Game Developer at its very basic level.

Now, there is nothing wrong with the way games are now, but games do have the ability to expand, both in range of expression and in market if we abandon these original principles as well as grow upon the original principles.

And realistically, if you care little enough about the gameplay to have the game play itself for you with Kind Code, why don't you just go on YouTube?
1. THat is an outside system. The developer should not stop to say "I am targeting the audience of the very young as well as the inexperienced gamer, what should I do if they can't figure this out? Oh wait, they can just go on youtube."
2. It doesn't mean you don't care enough about the gameplay. That is a horrible way to categorize those who would use it. Those who are playing are playing to have fun, and if there idea of fun isn't something that is challenging, and they would want to see an example, then what is the problem? For them, there is no problem at all. You are complaining about something that doesn't effect you simply out of principal despite that there are people who Nintendo is targeting who do indeed need this system if they are to get their own personal enjoyment out of the game.

I really don't understand how they show anything. A lot of hardcore gamers bought a Wii, for sure. Once you have a Wii you're going to try and make some use out of it, it costs $250, for crying out loud. All Nintendo Channel statistics show is that hardcore games are the most played.
Again, the games being played are NOT the point, the HOURS they are being played is. These numbes are sizable and despite their limited range of people they are accessing, they are still pulling large numbers. Imagine if everyone who played Brawl competevily turned in their numbers as well, (doubtful because they use Homebrew), then we would likely see numbers equal to Halo ODST, which included 100 percent of online users. The amount of time spent playing these titles shows that hardcore players who are Nintendo fans ARE playing the wii, and you wouldn't play something you weren't satisfied with.

It's the CORE FAN BASE that is unhappy with the Wii.
I thought you meant core as in Hardcore, which has never been the majority of Nintendo's fan base. Nintendo has always had the advantage of giving games for both hardcore and softcore and for casuals and for the young.
And again, I have provided number of play hours to show that the core fan base is NOT unhappy with the Wii, and if you will not allow these numbers to count as a evidence, then you who has no evidence other than your own animosity then there is no reason to even argue anything about their 'core fan base' since it is unprovable, and you can't offer up your own disapproval either, because opinions are rather irrelevant to the discussion.

(And yes, you've explained to me how much you like Endless Ocean at least 3 times now.)
Why thank you :3

bwrw

Smash Rookie
Oh, pretty much every game company only cares about their wallets, and I'll admit Nintendo has always been this way. It just wasn't obvious since prior to now
Remember the 'ole Nintendo Seal of Quality? That was them caring...

Just to clear things up. Nintendo has always, blatantly been a company that only cares about their wallets.

The 'ole Nintendo Seal of Quality was merely a symbol to show you that the game was licensed by Nintendo, and would, in fact work on your NES. It was also a quiet "**** you" to third party developers, which had to pay Nintendo for chips to initialize their cartridges so they could be played in an NES.

They consistently (in the US at least) make choices clearly geared towards protecting the medium against piracy and preserving 1st and 2nd party titles at the expense of many top-selling third party games.

The Wii is how it is because of the 64. Just as the Gamecube was how it was because of the 64. Why are there rehashed games and old titles constantly popping up? Because in 1996, Nintendo released a console that drove off many third party developers, who received frantic success on different platforms (namely the Playstation). Just as all companies do, Nintendo acts in its own interest. The difference between Nintendo and other companies however, is that Nintendo doesn't necessarily need third party developers.

Despite losing Square, Enix, and most of the Konami releases on the N64 - they still managed to go on. Losing three of the biggest names in the business to their competitor (while those companies go on to release some of their best selling titles of all time for said competitor~) - they still managed to have a fairly successful system. It worked then, and it's obviously continuing to work for them.

As for rehashes~

The Metal Gear Solid Series.
The Halo Series.
The Elder Scrolls Series ~ Fallout 3 ~ The Fable Series ~~~Every New RPG in the past 5 years.
The Grand Theft Auto Series.

It could go on~ Games don't really change that much anymore. Developers find something that works, and they run with it. How many shooters/fighters/rpgs run off of the exact same game engine? And how many sequels do they all get before a significant update is made to the engine?

Nintendo isn't getting stale, they haven't hit a brick wall, they have a 'weak' (in some respects) system with a gimmick. And they've decided to put most of their focus on a different audience. Maybe not the best move? Maybe alienated some of the die-hard fans, or young adult audiences. But why should they care? Last years sales figures show that the DS alone did better than the PSP, PS2 and PS3 combined.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Again, because you and others are not happy does not mean that their fan base as an entirety is not happy.
AGAIN, I'm talking about the HARDCORE FAN BASE. I would have to be an idiot to say that the casuals aren't happy.

Because it was a moment the developer could not have predicted nor avoided aside from putting a giant arrow pointing "GO HERE." What the helper code does is take out the chance that a less experienced gamer (as I was with Paper Mario, I didn't know the screen could turn like that at all, it was my first paper Mario game and I had no idea they would do things like that) is allow them to see an example of what to do. Doesn't mean they will be able to do it, I'm convinced that the main reason for my major fail on the 2D Mario games has to do with my intimidation by them thus making a large mental gap that keeps me from making the jumps that I should, but regardless of how easy it makes for them, it gives gamers who NEED an option the option of it. Complaining about an option that isn't going to effect you is silly. Its the equivalent of complaining about that they gave a game an Easy mode because that takes away the challenge.
It was my first Paper Mario game too, and I'm pretty sure that the first game only treated the "paper" part as an art style, not a gameplay mechanic to the extent TTYD implemented it, from what I've heard from friends.

Gamers do not NEED the option. Gamers do not NEED to even play the game, much less beat it. Gamers NEED to actually gauge what they're able to handle without ragequitting unless they have a help system built-in.

I've said this about a million times now:

I. DON'T. GIVE. A. CRAP. IF. IT'S. GOING. TO. AFFECT. ME.

It's the principle of the thing. Maybe no one else cares about principles anymore, but I do.

Also, Easy mode is 100% fine with me, I love Easy mode. It is a totally ridiculous idea to compare an easier mode of play to HAVING THE GAME BEAT ITSELF FOR YOU.

Simply because they didn't have to doesn't mean I won't have to. Even then, how is Super Mario going to transition into a GameFAQ? A written description is only going to get you so far in Super Mario.
No one has to resort to FAQs, even when I resort to FAQs it's not because I have to, it's because I want to.

And yes, a FAQ only gets you so far when it comes to physical difficulty as opposed to puzzles. That's where easier difficulties and actually playing the game come in.

The level of help the device gives shouldn't be important.
Oh, but it is when you're saying that the use of a FAQ is equivalent to just using an infinite HP cheat.

If the developer stops and thinks, "How will they know what to do now? Oh, I guess they can look it up if they are lost" No, that's not something a developer should do.
You keep acting as if I said this when I didn't.

When I initially said "You should've used a FAQ at that point", I was speaking realistically. Like, forget the debate for a second, if you're stuck on such a small thing for a month you're not doing yourself any favors by wandering around without figuring anything out.

In a game liker Mario, they would present a more obvious example in earlier levels to provide a basis for knowing what to do. World 1 is almost always there to show you the limits of Mario's jump and abilities so you can get a field of him. Mario Brothers 3 1-1 is there to demonstrate the flying ability. Now, we can expect these things in the new Mario world as they have remained presistent in all Mario games, Sunshine to an even greater extent with the first world being a tutorial of sorts, however, can we expect a young child to correctly comprehend what to do at all times? No, we can't, especially considering the 2 levels I saw on the live stream earlier. Now, since this code is an OPTION and Nintendo generally has been opposed to separate difficulty modes, this is a way to create the game they want while still giving the younger crowd a chance to succeeded at the game.
I'd love it if someone could explain to me where this sense of entitlement to beating a game is.

Seriously, I thought the point of beating a game was to actually put in the effort to beat it? If the younger crowd is unable to beat the game and Nintendo can't be bothered to put in an easier difficulty, then the younger crowd can't beat the game. It should be as simple as that.

Obviously Nintendo has a vested interest in this, but that doesn't mean it's a defense of Kind Code for the consumers that don't need it, so don't try to tell me that I should support Kind Code so someone who doesn't have the ability to beat a game can beat it.

When I got stuck for a really long time 2 or 3 times in the Halo 3 campaign (because I suck at all FPS's) I didn't expect the game to beat itself for me, or just let me get to the last level since that was the part I was most excited for. No, I kept playing the levels again and again, and I got frustrated for sure, but I got through it eventually.

That's the point of a video game if it has challenges. To actually overcome the challenges. Not get a free pass just because you don't feel like it. And if someone doesn't like challenges, it's as simple as picking up Nintendogs or Endless Ocean or something that doesn't have any challenges.

Generally, most RPGs aren't designed for 4 year olds, though Pokemon has a simple enough concept that it generally fits well enough with them. Other than a few bossess, TYD isn't SO hard that I couldn't see a 4 year old beating it though. Its rather self explanitory.

Don't jump on spikey villains
Don't touch fire villains.
And a very easy to comprehend level up program.

The only thing that would hold a 4 year old back is there ability to read, though I did fine through Super Mario RPG at that age, and that game was even harder O_O, unless you count the 100 level pit
I'm not just talking about the battles, I'm talking about the puzzles and such too. It's a pretty involved game, and I can't imagine a little kid getting through it.

Which is exactly why this is needed, to make a game that reaches for all ages.
So we've gotten to the point where the only way we can make a game for all ages is making it super difficult and just giving the option of having the game play itself?

Its an option, so the point of you complaining for something that was designed for an audience less experienced than you is a little silly.
What's silly is that no one understands the concept of principles anymore.

There are others out there, but this is a shining example of the kinds of creativity that can be unlocked when you abandon the traditional ideas behind a video game, that being to view it as a game.
...If you abandon the idea of a video game being a game then it ceases to be a video game. Because that's what it is. It's a video game.

I have no problem with some exploration on consoles with that sort of thing, but let's not pretend that this is just some traditional, outdated notion. It's the DEFINITION of a video game. It's just that video games don't have to be the only thing on a console.

1. THat is an outside system. The developer should not stop to say "I am targeting the audience of the very young as well as the inexperienced gamer, what should I do if they can't figure this out? Oh wait, they can just go on youtube."
I am not telling the developers what they should be thinking, so stop putting everything I say into that context.

I'm saying what's logically realistic.

I'm also saying that the developer shouldn't have to take into account an audience that isn't going to actually play the game. Because then that circumvents the purpose of the game in the first place.

2. It doesn't mean you don't care enough about the gameplay. That is a horrible way to categorize those who would use it. Those who are playing are playing to have fun, and if there idea of fun isn't something that is challenging, and they would want to see an example, then what is the problem? For them, there is no problem at all. You are complaining about something that doesn't effect you simply out of principal despite that there are people who Nintendo is targeting who do indeed need this system if they are to get their own personal enjoyment out of the game.
Thanks for calling me horrible when taking my statements out of context.

I'm saying the people that want to play a game just for the plot or something can, and indeed, should, just go on YouTube and watch it instead of getting upset because gameplay is involved in a game.

And if they need this system to enjoy the game, they should play another game.

I don't enjoy Call of Duty, you don't see me saying "They should change Call of Duty into a platformer because I would actually be able to enjoy it then."

I thought that was why so many games existed.

(Yes, Nintendo may need this to cater to that crowd, but once again, I don't really give a crap what makes Nintendo money.)

Again, the games being played are NOT the point, the HOURS they are being played is. These numbes are sizable and despite their limited range of people they are accessing, they are still pulling large numbers. Imagine if everyone who played Brawl competevily turned in their numbers as well, (doubtful because they use Homebrew), then we would likely see numbers equal to Halo ODST, which included 100 percent of online users. The amount of time spent playing these titles shows that hardcore players who are Nintendo fans ARE playing the wii, and you wouldn't play something you weren't satisfied with.
Fail logic is fail.

I've invested almost 300 hours into my Diamond version, I've invested over 100 hours into Brawl, and I think both are mediocre games.

Furthermore, I don't know if you're rolling in cash or just not realizing the fallacy in your argument, but someone who spends $250 on a console is not going to throw it in the trash and never play it just because they're not satisfied with it for the most part. Whatever games DO satisfy them, they'll play.

Seriously, I'm EXTREMELY dissatisfied with my Wii, but I still play with it. Are you telling me that this means that I'm actually satisfied with my Wii and just don't know it?

I think most important to note here is this:

Being satisfied with the system as a whole and being satisfied with ~10 games are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS.

I thought you meant core as in Hardcore, which has never been the majority of Nintendo's fan base. Nintendo has always had the advantage of giving games for both hardcore and softcore and for casuals and for the young.
I mean the fans of Nintendo that were fans of Nintendo throughout the N64 and GameCube eras and then got screwed on the Wii.

Which are the fans I call hardcore.

(This is why I just said "fans", I never know what to call them because people get pissed off when you say "hardcore" and "casual", but then "fans" is too general.)

And again, I have provided number of play hours to show that the core fan base is NOT unhappy with the Wii, and if you will not allow these numbers to count as a evidence, then you who has no evidence other than your own animosity then there is no reason to even argue anything about their 'core fan base' since it is unprovable, and you can't offer up your own disapproval either, because opinions are rather irrelevant to the discussion.
You've given me play hours that prove absolutely nothing except by extreme, false derivation.

And your logic is absolutely AWFUL. Assuming for a moment that no scientific evidence exists, if someone came into a debate using a religious text as support and saying "You have no evidence, so my evidence, however flawed it may be, wins automatically", would you say they have perfectly good logic and have won the debate?

An opinion is equally, if not more, relevant to a discussion as facts that prove basically nothing.

I don't have any solid facts to back it up, and I'm not claiming to, but I certainly have a pretty good idea that many fans aren't happy with Nintendo considering how much of an outrage there's been about the Wii. I wouldn't have made the claim in any way, shape, or form if I didn't feel there was some logic to it.

I know for certain that the only statistics you can find that will actually be able to prove how many fans are satisfied with their Wii will be polls of a sample group of fans explicitly asking that.

And are you really telling me there's no reason to argue about this since it's unprovable? I didn't start the argument. You did.

MetaMarth

Smash Rookie
I actually see what point you're making. Nintendo does seem to be making a bunch of rehashes or new wii play, sports, dance, sing, party, etc. but with a lot of that new **** their sales arent hitting a brick wall. Moneywise, nintendo is smart knowing kids, families, and casual gamers will wanna buy this kinda stuff while hardcore gamers might be going over to microsoft or sony (i mean if you've played halo you'll understand the difference between that and nintendo's top selling "casual games")

Although i for one am not gonna give up on nintendo because if their smart and realize what us gamers really want, they could bring back game series like star fox, megaman, f-zero, and even add some GOOD downloadable content. My friend even wasted $20 on a wii points card to buy some virtual console megaman game and world of goo. At first he was excited but after playing he says there boring and easy. Now that's something i think nintendo could've really worked harder on.

For the most part i agree with you, Nintendo could have put more effort into some of these things and they could actually make games we'd wanna play. But if they made a new star-fox wouldn't it be cool! With like enhanced graphics, tons of content and missions, vs. online and local play, co-op play (2 player missions!), and maybe smooth new play controls with wii motion (maybe or maybe not)

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Whoever get's bored of World of Goo is not human, there's nobody I know that get's bored of that game or calls it easy. ._.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
There's more than one way to enjoy a game. Maybe they just can't pass one part. Maybe they want to try all the levels. Maybe they want to play the bosses or the final level or specific parts of the game even though they can't play the harder sections(which you can do). Maybe they want to learn how to play.

It's rubbish to imply they don't care about the gameplay or are acting entitled or telling them they should buy another game. The only ''principle'' I see is elitism.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
There's more than one way to enjoy a game. Maybe they just can't pass one part. Maybe they want to try all the levels. Maybe they want to play the bosses or the final level or specific parts of the game even though they can't play the harder sections(which you can do). Maybe they want to learn how to play.

It's rubbish to imply they don't care about the gameplay or are acting entitled or telling them they should buy another game. The only ''principle'' I see is elitism.
What’s rubbish is you taking what I’m saying in response to examples out of context and applying it other examples, then calling me an elitist for it.

CRASHiC specifically mentioned people who play games just to see the storyline. If you’re only bothering with a game to get through the story and you could care less about actually playing the game as long as you see the storyline, that would be the definition of not caring about gameplay, wouldn’t it?

Again, by what CRASHiC was saying, if the game should be altered specifically so that a little kid can beat (not enjoy, BEAT) a game, then there is, in fact, a sense of entitlement to beating the game. I’m not even necessarily saying that the kids are acting entitled, I’m saying everyone on here is acting as if these kids are entitled.

I’m not ”telling someone to buy another game”, I don’t care what games they buy. I’m telling them they should buy a game that fits their tastes instead of expecting every video game ever to fit their tastes. Again, I don’t like Call of Duty, but you don’t see me complaining because it should be a platformer instead to satisfy my whims.

But I know, god forbid someone be required to research things before they buy something.

As for your other point, that’s totally irrelevant because that’s clearly not what this feature is meant for. If it were meant for that it would be an option from the beginning, rather than an option for people who die 8 times.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I. DON'T. GIVE. A. CRAP. IF. IT'S. GOING. TO. AFFECT. ME.

It's the principle of the thing. Maybe no one else cares about principles anymore, but I do.
With this, I'm done. You are the Neo-con of Video games sir. This is the equivalent of saying Gay Marriage doesn't effect me, but it shouldn't exist because I'm opposed to it in principle. Caring so much about something that doesn't effect you and isn't designed for you but for a younger crowd to not get frustrated with the game (even if their goal isn't to beat the game, but to enjoy it, which if they are extremly frustrated with its difficulty, they aren't going to be enjoying it), then you are no longer someone I wish to argue with on this.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
What’s rubbish is you taking what I’m saying in response to examples out of context and applying it other examples, then calling me an elitist for it.

Again, by what CRASHiC was saying, if the game should be altered specifically so that a little kid can beat (not enjoy, BEAT) a game, then there is, in fact, a sense of entitlement to beating the game. I’m not even necessarily saying that the kids are acting entitled, I’m saying everyone on here is acting as if these kids are entitled.
I took nothing you said out of context. Funnily enough I think you are taking cRASHiC's points out of context repeatedly. Just because someone wants to see the storyline doesn't mean they can't enjoy a game for other reasons at the same time too.

I don't know what your last line is directed at, because I'm pretty sure everything I said can be done with the Super Guide.

You clearly don't understand why other people play games, so I'm done here. It shouldn't need more explaining that what has already been done.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
With this, I'm done. You are the Neo-con of Video games sir. This is the equivalent of saying Gay Marriage doesn't effect me, but it shouldn't exist because I'm opposed to it in principle. Caring so much about something that doesn't effect you and isn't designed for you but for a younger crowd to not get frustrated with the game (even if their goal isn't to beat the game, but to enjoy it, which if they are extremly frustrated with its difficulty, they aren't going to be enjoying it), then you are no longer someone I wish to argue with on this.
...That's not the equivalent of that at all. Being against someone marrying just because the Bible tells you it's wrong is VERY different from being against someone having a game play itself because it defeats the entire point of playing games with challenges.

Whether or not you agree with that, it would be the equivalent of caring about some random person getting murdered on principle. I'm pretty sure that most everyone here has a problem with murder (without any strings attached like self-defense or whatever). No, the random person dying doesn't affect you, but are you going to not be against it just because you never knew the person?

(Again, I'm not saying that this is such an outright problem as murder, as it's my opinion; I'm pointing that out right now so I don't get attacked by people for saying that. I mean, I've already been called a Neo-con.)

I took nothing you said out of context. Funnily enough I think you are taking cRASHiC's points out of context repeatedly. Just because someone wants to see the storyline doesn't mean they can't enjoy a game for other reasons at the same time too.
Yes you did. I said that people who play a game ONLY for the storyline don't care about gameplay, and you said "WELL PEOPLE WHO ONLY WANT TO FIGHT A BOSS CARE ABOUT GAMEPLAY TOO GAWSH DON'T BE SO INSENSITIVE".

I don't know what your last line is directed at, because I'm pretty sure everything I said can be done with the Super Guide.
I'm talking about its PURPOSE. The SD card can be used for hacking, but Nintendo didn't make the SD card the memory card for the Wii for that reason.

Yes, you can use it to just skip over levels, but the point of it is to help people who are having trouble.

You clearly don't understand why other people play games, so I'm done here. It shouldn't need more explaining that what has already been done.
You clearly don't understand anything about what I understand, and my position shouldn't need more explaining than has already been done either.

Feel free to /ragequit this argument if you want, both of you, but don't make me out to be some nazi elitist who doesn't understand what other people play games for just because I think that you should actually complete challenges to be able to get to a point in the game.

I can understand disagreeing with me, but I don't see how you cannot comprehend my side of the argument at all.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Whether or not you agree with that, it would be the equivalent of caring about some random person getting murdered on principle. I'm pretty sure that most everyone here has a problem with murder (without any strings attached like self-defense or whatever). No, the random person dying doesn't affect you, but are you going to not be against it just because you never knew the person?
Murder is not illegal because out of princpal, it is illegal because it interfers with a person's right to live. Ethics have nothing to do with constitutional laws. In fact, ethical laws are in essence unconstitutional. You can only limit people's rights if they directly limit the rights of others.

Now, being against something in principal that NEGATIVELY EFFECTS someone is different than something that was designed to HELP SOMEONE. It is arrogant to deny that 6 years olds are part of the audience for Super Mario and that putting in something so they can enjoy the game without being overly frustrated is a good thing for those users, with the argument against being "They can just go on the internet for help" or "well they shouldn't be playing the game in the first place." Nintendo always aims to reach the largest market possible with every Mario game, this allows them to do that. In doesn't effect you, but it effects others positively. Your grips against this are completely ignorant and arrogant.

Yes you did. I said that people who play a game ONLY for the storyline don't care about gameplay,
About your whole argument with super Bowser over this. There are several problems with it.

1. You took it out of context. I claimed to enjoy it for multiple reasons, story line included along with the world and easter eggs.

2. Watching Metal Gear Solid does NOT give you the same experience as playing it. It never has. The game is praised for its development of story telling methods in the Video Games. It started out simple enough, with being able to choose and access conversations with various charecters are your whim, the interactive cut scenes where plot was developed and you felt you had an active influence over what you saw as with the Ocelot torture scene in MGS1 and with the mind games pulled by Psychomantus. Then there is the design of how the game is played in relation to the story. The battle with Sniper Wolf was clearly designed with the emotional impact of making you hate Sniper Wolf by making the battle long and grueling, thus increasing the hate that you had already had of her. Simply watching it on Youtube does not provide this same experience and you aren't likely to be connected as much to the characters without the feeling of you having influence to some degree over what is happening. I can bring example upon example from each game on how things were designed with the pure focus of enhancing the story itself through gameplay. Metal Gear Solid is more than just a story, its an experience. I could say the same thing about Shadow of the Colosis or Ico, or the story mode of Endless Ocean.

I can understand disagreeing with me, but I don't see how you cannot comprehend my side of the argument at all.
Because what you say is not a logical argument, you are inserting what YOU pull out of game and saying that giving someone the tools to enhance what THEY get out of game is something wrong and shouldn't be done, despite that there are indeed people who DO want and/or NEED these things to make the game enjoyable for them. Its like someone being opposed to drone music because they feel the point of music is to dance.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Can we please keep religion/morality/murder/homosexuality/Klingons out of this thread?

I mean, I know The Holy Church of Nintendo and His Children-san is a very current and relevant issue in today's world, but I'd rather not have us go down the religion road for a thread that's about a lack of creativity in Nintendo games. Let's not forget that.

Heh what's the use? This is pretty much a lost cause anyway.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
This thread was over for me when you made the post about Majora's Mask getting panned. That pretty much summed it up perfectly.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Just to clear things up. Nintendo has always, blatantly been a company that only cares about their wallets.
I cannot agree. If this were the case they'd have not handed the market over to sony in the 90's, made a fail system w/64, taken forever to launch cube. Wii was without a doubt their only way back into the market, and it paid off. They gave up on trying to recoup their losses impacted by Sony with the PS, and instead launched a whole new idea, the Wii, the console for everyone, literally.

Fox noise JUST had a segment yesterday on the game convention in NYC. 2 points were made:

1.) Gaming is coming away from console, and going mobile. Cited were PSP, DS and iPhone.
2.) Due to the economy console sales are down this year, overall, but this xmas you can expect great sales.

News anchor's response to the latter? Oh, so that means I can ask my wife to get me a ....
Wii *chuckles* ... !!!!!!!!

This is the case everywhere since it came out. 40-60 yo's can finally get back into gaming, ever since the crash of '84. My own father in law "I wanna get a wii, then me and yer mama can play pool, and knock-hockey." KNOCK HOCKEY. Christ almighty. <- me, the hardcore's normal response.

My former mgr at work: "I want a wii, then I can get wii fit, and my kids can play it too!"

This has nothing to do with Nintendo "always caring -only- about their wallets" that is too dramatic. Businesses in general "only" care about their wallets. Nintendo ingrained themselves in our lives w/NES. No one ever complained back then that they didn't care for us, we loved them. It wasn't until they let Sony walk all over them that this perception came to be.

The 'ole Nintendo Seal of Quality was merely a symbol to show you that the game was licensed by Nintendo, and would, in fact work on your NES. It was also a quiet "**** you" to third party developers, which had to pay Nintendo for chips to initialize their cartridges so they could be played in an NES.
Technically correct, bad example I suppose.

They consistently (in the US at least) make choices clearly geared towards protecting the medium against piracy and preserving 1st and 2nd party titles at the expense of many top-selling third party games.
Correct, but evidence they do NOT care about their wallets, because they allowed Konami, Capcom, Square/Enix to leave, over arguably silly things (lot of back-room politics were involved, heated arguments between individual company members and developers, not just broad decisions). It was selfish of Nintendo to allow them to leave, admittedly, it was a bad decision business-wise, and it is the main reason PS was able to prosper and entrench themselves in the market, 2nd only to there being too long a wait between SNES and 64.

The Wii is how it is because of the 64. Just as the Gamecube was how it was because of the 64. Why are there rehashed games and old titles constantly popping up? Because in 1996, Nintendo released a console that drove off many third party developers, who received frantic success on different platforms (namely the Playstation). Just as all companies do, Nintendo acts in its own interest. The difference between Nintendo and other companies however, is that Nintendo doesn't necessarily need third party developers.
We agree here.

Despite losing Square, Enix, and most of the Konami releases on the N64 - they still managed to go on. Losing three of the biggest names in the business to their competitor (while those companies go on to release some of their best selling titles of all time for said competitor~) - they still managed to have a fairly successful system. It worked then, and it's obviously continuing to work for them.
Eh, kinda. The 64 did ok, Rare saved them with Goldeneye. Ironically Rare couldn't be kept by Nintendo, and they went to MS. Cube, well because of their major 1st party franchises, it was enough for people to buy one. I distinctly remember PS2 fans getting it for mario sunshine, playing it, then putting it down and going back to PS2. There it collected dust, arguably until now, where now the Wii collects dust because the novelty wears off so fast. Capcom -did- finally resolve their beef w/Nintendo, and released RE4, which raked in tons. Konami is still iffy w/them, but it's much better. Sometimes I think Konami developers make crappy games on purpose to screw w/the console's reputation *(Castlevania: Judgement sux) but that's just my paranoia talking.

As for rehashes~

The Metal Gear Solid Series.
The Halo Series.
The Elder Scrolls Series ~ Fallout 3 ~ The Fable Series ~~~Every New RPG in the past 5 years.
The Grand Theft Auto Series.

It could go on~ Games don't really change that much anymore. Developers find something that works, and they run with it. How many shooters/fighters/rpgs run off of the exact same game engine? And how many sequels do they all get before a significant update is made to the engine?
MGS is not a good example for re-hashing. MGS2 introduced several gameplay mechanics that far enhanced the experience. MGS3 though I don't personally enjoy it, introduced even more game mechanics (partially why I didn't like it, I like the sons of liberty engine best). The Twin Snakes on GC, THAT is a true rehash, literally the same game but w/updated grahpics, and the upgrade to sons of liberty engine. replaced FMVs... yeah, but it was their way of bringing back MGS to GC user that otherwise didn't have a chance to play it, and it was also a personal tribute from Kojima who despite his Konami counterparts, always will love Miyamoto.

Nintendo isn't getting stale, they haven't hit a brick wall, they have a 'weak' (in some respects) system with a gimmick. And they've decided to put most of their focus on a different audience. Maybe not the best move? Maybe alienated some of the die-hard fans, or young adult audiences. But why should they care? Last years sales figures show that the DS alone did better than the PSP, PS2 and PS3 combined.
Not a bad move, the -only- move they could make to get back on top, which they have. Core gamers like myself won't ever make up the majority for Nintendo, not since Sony buried them in the 90s has it been possible. Core gamers for Nintendo are the minority, clinging to the days of yore when Nintendo ruled. Sony took us away, I even hated Nintendo when they brought out 64, and only got it for Goldeneye, never did care for anything else. It took a lot of courage to even try gamecube, and I'm glad I did, because it got me back to Nintendo's side, and away from Sony. But I'm a minority in this, as are most.

And I didn't even mention MS's hold in the market, but that's cause I still live in a dream world where Microsoft didn't invade my holy sanctum after tooling the computer industry.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Just so you know, Nintendo sold Rare.

Truth is, Nintendo consoles make a poor choice for an only console, but they make excellent choices for secondary consoles.

When it comes to third party content, you miss out a lot by going only Nintendo.
It's been this way since the N64.

The more time goes on, the more I think that it's all about the third parties.....

By-Tor

Smash Cadet
Everyone else here seems to be having a raging intellectual discussion, but I'll just chime in with my opinion. Play nintendo's most popular games, like wii play, wii sports, wii fit, ect. Then compare it to the Xbox's most popular games; modern warfare 2, halo 3, and gears of war 2 and see the HUGE difference that is that the wii has no real competitive gameplay save smash bros.

I was also very disappointed with nintendo at E3. Vitality sensor? Come on, honestly.

finalark

SNORLAX
I was also very disappointed with nintendo at E3. Vitality sensor? Come on, honestly.
That was last years E3, I believe. I was fairly satisfied with this year's E3 on the Nintendo side of things. Golden Sun 3 and Metroid: Other M really did it for it. I thought it was pretty good year all around.

Except for Ubisoft. They go on for hours about a bunch of casual games and how awesome their sales are and they don't even mention Prince of Persia...

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The reason Ubisoft did that was because of the change of E3 from 4 years ago.

4 years ago, it was an open event, you could buy a ticket, making it for the most hardcore of gamers, and thus E3 always appealed to them. Since then however, it has closed its doors as a trade only event and thus:

1. The sole purpose is to get the press and other corporations on your side, be they 3rd party developers or be they publishers and developers looking to get published. This is why numbers were such a HUGE part of nearly every press conference last year. Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Ubisoft, they all blabered away about their sales and projected sales. Now, other not-so-gaming press also attends the event, so to capture their attention, the 2nd thing happens
2. they cator towards the casual crowd. Talking about Xbox's new Eye Toy is much more appealing to Tiem Magainze than talking about say Dragon Age. You'll also see them push games that are meant to capture movie lovers like (that one Alone In The Dark rip off, I forget its name, had some big voice actor I think), Heavy Rain, and of course the king of cinematics team Ico's new creation, The Last Guardian.

finalark

SNORLAX
The reason Ubisoft did that was because of the change of E3 from 4 years ago.

4 years ago, it was an open event, you could buy a ticket, making it for the most hardcore of gamers, and thus E3 always appealed to them. Since then however, it has closed its doors as a trade only event and thus:

1. The sole purpose is to get the press and other corporations on your side, be they 3rd party developers or be they publishers and developers looking to get published. This is why numbers were such a HUGE part of nearly every press conference last year. Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Ubisoft, they all blabered away about their sales and projected sales. Now, other not-so-gaming press also attends the event, so to capture their attention, the 2nd thing happens
2. they cator towards the casual crowd. Talking about Xbox's new Eye Toy is much more appealing to Tiem Magainze than talking about say Dragon Age. You'll also see them push games that are meant to capture movie lovers like (that one Alone In The Dark rip off, I forget its name, had some big voice actor I think), Heavy Rain, and of course the king of cinematics team Ico's new creation, The Last Guardian.
True, but at the same time E3 returned to the way it once was recently. But either way, I enjoyed this year's E3.

And I think the name of the Alone in the Dark rip-off was Allan Wake? Or something like that.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I had (most of) a detailed reply to everything you said typed out, but I decided against posting it because ultimately I don't see this argument going anywhere.

You have CLEARLY decided that I'm an elitist, that I'm arrogant, and that I'm ignorant (okay, well, I'm being captain obvious here since you said that outright, but regardless,) no matter what I say. I am vehemently against people who tell other people how to play, I have explained that even I play for various reasons, yet you guys still act as if I play games solely for challenges.

The biggest problem here is that you guys are not willing to see my perspective at all. You twist my words around and you put my words into a derived context and you're making me out to be some bad guy instead of trying to have a legitimate conversation; because, after all, I'm THE neo-con of video games.

I am against Kind Code and I always will be. I tried explaining why to you but all you had to say was that I'm ignorant to have a problem with something that doesn't directly affect me and supposedly has this vast helping effect on the world. Since when did people have to beat a game to enjoy it, anyways?

I know that there is nothing elitist or arrogant about my opinions, whatever you may think, so feel free to throw whatever you want at me now. I'm done trying to have a discussion with people who are going to throw names at me to try and make my side of the argument seem less legitimate.

john!

Smash Hero
Forgive me if this has already been brought up.

Would you have a problem if Kind Code was not in this game? It would be just a slightly harder Mario platformer.

Now what is wrong with taking that game and adding an extra feature, so that people can get more out of the game? Most people (certainly the kind who would use Kind Code) are not getting a game just to say they beat it. They get it for fun. It's not fun having to try to clear the same tricky area 50 times, or search for a hidden passageway for hours (it's happened to most of us in some game or another), so by giving us the OPTION of removing this annoyance, they are letting more people get more out of the game. It's a win-win. Nobody loses.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
That was last years E3, I believe.
No, that was this year.

Forgive me if this has already been brought up.

Would you have a problem if Kind Code was not in this game? It would be just a slightly harder Mario platformer.

Now what is wrong with taking that game and adding an extra feature, so that people can get more out of the game? Most people (certainly the kind who would use Kind Code) are not getting a game just to say they beat it. They get it for fun. It's not fun having to try to clear the same tricky area 50 times, or search for a hidden passageway for hours (it's happened to most of us in some game or another), so by giving us the OPTION of removing this annoyance, they are letting more people get more out of the game. It's a win-win. Nobody loses.
That's basically what half this argument has been; "You're a horrible elitist because you're against a feature that helps people." Principle isn't enough either, because the only principle anyone can see is elitism, apparently.

I'd explain my position further but, again, I really don't want to continue this argument given the direction it's headed in.

finalark

SNORLAX
This might just be putting fuel on the fire, but here's IGN's review for New Super Mario Bros. Wii:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1044744p1.html

It looks like they've dumbed it down, a lot. Come on, videos to show you how to get unlimited 1-ups and the like?

Anyway, if you recall NSMBW was an example I used when talking about Nintendo running out of ideas. Go ahead and interprate their review however you'd like.

EDIT: And here's Gamespot's take on the game.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/newsupermariobroswii/review.html?tag=topslot;img;4

It looks like it's still Nintendo Hard, but is somewhat relying off of nostalgia...

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The first review is evidence that Nintendo ignored online play, which for all intents and purposes, seems like a lack of innovation, but I counter it'd me more accurate to say it's due to their not being prepared for online play in general. "what about mario kart wii?" an exception to a rule? They definitely are behind in online gaming, and this contention is further proven by the fact instead of trying to work hard to get it to work for NSMBW they just flat out didn't bother. I can't blame them though, it's too late to even try to innovate online play at this stage, it'll have to wait until next console. In the meantime they did NOT want to fail like they did with Brawl online. It's their trademark franchise, their number 1, Mario. To introduce online play and have it totally flop (as it most likely would given the dynamics of even trying to do a 4-way online platformer with the mechanics in use by NSMBW) would have been worse than suicide.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The first review is evidence that Nintendo ignored online play, which for all intents and purposes, seems like a lack of innovation, but I counter it'd me more accurate to say it's due to their not being prepared for online play in general. "what about mario kart wii?" an exception to a rule? They definitely are behind in online gaming, and this contention is further proven by the fact instead of trying to work hard to get it to work for NSMBW they just flat out didn't bother. I can't blame them though, it's too late to even try to innovate online play at this stage, it'll have to wait until next console. In the meantime they did NOT want to fail like they did with Brawl online. It's their trademark franchise, their number 1, Mario. To introduce online play and have it totally flop (as it most likely would given the dynamics of even trying to do a 4-way online platformer with the mechanics in use by NSMBW) would have been worse than suicide.
...It's a good thing this wasn't a longer response, because trying to respond to this in pieces would be hell with all of that color code.

In any case, you have a point. NSMBWii will likely be very much like Brawl in the sense that it would require the games to be exactly in sync in order to function online, as opposed to Mario Kart where it's not so dire. Given Nintendo's lack of very good online, it would be quite stupid to put online into a game that is bound to fail. It's much easier to argue "Well, it's not too bad that they didn't add online," than "Well, it's not too big of a deal that they put online into the game and it flopped miserably."

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
XD But I like the color code! Yah, kinda bad for using the quote button tho, didn't think of that. Herm. Guess that's why it's not used by too many posters. I suppose one could use traditional copy/paste? V.V bah!

But yeah, that review was definitely a positive review except for that observation which Nintendo's learned their lesson on, next gen we'll see decent online play I hope, Xbox Live has it down pat, they should take their ques from them, sadly.

His other problem was "lack of innovation" due to not being able to save replays, even though the game itself employs several snippets for viewing pleasure/idea generation. GOD, so whiny. He even had to cite Brawl as being an example of what to do, it's NOT BRAWL! Maybe Brawl is the best Wii game, or something, so everything compares to it? Another Meh. Besides he started off all happy about it being a return to 2D and away from 3D, then he compared as a sequel to Galaxy... ugh. This is why I don't read game reviews.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Gamespot is the Pitchfork of video game reviews, and IGN reviews are just silly. They praised a Boy and his Blob heavily, and then it ends up with a 6.something the review didn't add up with the score at all.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I stop looking at Gamespot since Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, and I stop looking at IGN since Kirby Super Star Ultra. Truly underrated games and they know it.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
XD But I like the color code! Yah, kinda bad for using the quote button tho, didn't think of that. Herm. Guess that's why it's not used by too many posters. I suppose one could use traditional copy/paste? V.V bah!
Yeah. When I quote someone, I generally try to keep the original colors but if there's a huge gradient in the post then that's really just not an option.

But yeah, that review was definitely a positive review except for that observation which Nintendo's learned their lesson on, next gen we'll see decent online play I hope, Xbox Live has it down pat, they should take their ques from them, sadly.

His other problem was "lack of innovation" due to not being able to save replays, even though the game itself employs several snippets for viewing pleasure/idea generation. GOD, so whiny. He even had to cite Brawl as being an example of what to do, it's NOT BRAWL! Maybe Brawl is the best Wii game, or something, so everything compares to it? Another Meh. Besides he started off all happy about it being a return to 2D and away from 3D, then he compared as a sequel to Galaxy... ugh. This is why I don't read game reviews.
The review really was quite stupid.

It spends the first 3/4 of the review praising the game for being fun, bringing in new mechanics, etc., then it goes into the last 1/4 of the review acting if Nintendo ruined the game by not implementing replays and by not making it creative enough as a sequel to Galaxy.

First of all, Replays are cool, but they're basically as far on the spectrum of "extra". Second of all, this is a sequel to NSMB for DS. Galaxy 2 is a sequel to Galaxy.

If you use logic for a moment you'll realize that merely because the game is on Wii doesn't mean it's a sequel to the previous Wii game, especially since it's already getting a sequel.

But then again, logic would make sense and nobody wants that.

Smash Journeyman
The only place I read reviews at is GameFAQs since IGN really only praises big titles. Gamefaqs is full of mixed opinions and reviews are made by casual gamers.

And yes, gamespot is the pitchfork of reviews.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
The IGN review is a bit bizarre. He calls it the best 2d mario yet, they proceeds to give a score of 8.9.

I swear this same guy gave a really high score to the DS NSMB as well (and that game sucked). Oh well.

Top Bottom