• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo has hit a brick wall.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I stop looking at Gamespot since Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, and I stop looking at IGN since Kirby Super Star Ultra. Truly underrated games and they know it.
^This.

IGN doesn't appreciate anything on the Wii anymore after Muramasa. 8.9/10 on a Mario PLATFORMER is too biased. Metroid Prime Trilogy (even though it still gets 10/10) would made a much better online game and they know it.:sonic:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I stop looking at Gamespot since Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, and I stop looking at IGN since Kirby Super Star Ultra. Truly underrated games and they know it.
Wow, they gave SSU only a 7.9, and RD only an 8? I haven't personally played Radiant Dawn (...I really need to beat PoR quicker) but I've heard really good things about it. I haven't played Super Star Ultra either, and don't intend to buy it anytime soon, because I want the original instead, but I've heard good things about the game -- I'd imagine rightly so, since the original was quite well-liked.

Also, I will never trust IGN for anything in the world ever again (not that I trust video game reviews as it is).

They gave all of the Ace Attorney games high 7's except Apollo Justice, which still only got a 8.3.

There are many problems with their review scores, but that stands out to me as being the worst.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I think the main problem with SSU is that, while it is a great game(IMO, I'll play it forever probably), it is essentially a rehash. Oh yeah, what, 4 new subgames? 1 is just a harder version of Spring Breeze, 2 are different versions of The Arena, and the last one is a highly condensed version of the entire game minus the new subgames.

It is a solid game for sure, but that is hardly innovative of HAL, especially considering that they have a freakin Wii game that has been in development for over 5 YEARS.

I'd still give it a higher score because it is Kirby, and I <3 Kirby.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think the main problem with SSU is that, while it is a great game(IMO, I'll play it forever probably), it is essentially a rehash. Oh yeah, what, 4 new subgames? 1 is just a harder version of Spring Breeze, 2 are different versions of The Arena, and the last one is a highly condensed version of the entire game minus the new subgames.

It is a solid game for sure, but that is hardly innovative of HAL, especially considering that they have a freakin Wii game that has been in development for over 5 YEARS.

I'd still give it a higher score because it is Kirby, and I <3 Kirby.
Oh, for sure, and that's exactly why I don't intend to get SSU until I get the original.

But that's not at all what IGN seems to be basing their review on, and that's evident by their wrap-up with the individual points denoted. Otherwise I wouldn't be too surprised by a low score.

D

Deleted member

A brick wall is defindently an understatement, but I can understand why you came to that conclusion.

I really don't think Nintendo is running out of ideas. I mean, we already got three games in the Excitebike series, compared to one and eventually two Metroid games. The Zelda series also looks to get just three this year. The only Nintendo franchise that has seriously received tons of installment on the Wii is the Super Mario Bros. series and games centered around Miis.

We also have an Fire Emblem game as well.

DQP

Smash Ace
when compared to some of game informer's reviews for nintendo (6.25 for paper mario? gimme a break), ign isn't half bad, but some of the scores they give are absurdly biased, especially when compared to other consoles (perfect 10 for gta4 and mgs4, compared to 8.9 for NSMBWii and 9.5 for SSBB)

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Super Mario Galaxy was amazing and no one will argue against that, but in the release there was a huge amount of untapped potential in the realm of gravity based platforming that really couldn't have been tapped realistically in a first iteration. So though it isn't entirely new and therefore is fated to be rated worse than the original (though it will still probably be one of the Wii's top rated games), I would actually feel a little disappointed if they moved onto another concept without having a chance to fully realize the potential of gravity based platforming.

Dracospawn

Smash Journeyman
I could tell you that but then I'f have to...ummmm
I actually have to agree with you. I've almost left my wii for my PS3 and now all I play is Borderlands and Modern Warfare 2. I've been playing SSBB a little more lately, but not as much as borderlands and MW2. Nintendo is running out of ideas appearently. I mean, all these imagine games like "imagine babiez" and all these copies of Nintendogs and pet games all that. Its nauseating me, literally. They don't give the gamers what we want, they don't listen to us. They do what THEY think is right. So Nintendo, drop all the bull**** games. Forget all about imagine and crap. Forget about all these remakes. Make some new stuff, some sequels/prequels, just like I hope your doing with metroid other M, which may make me a wii customer once again.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo has the name.

THE NAME.

Nintendo could slap their logo on a toaster, and you know what?

IT WOULD SELL SO WELL, AND SO FAST. IT WOULD BE OUT IN STORES, AND GONE THE NEXT DAY. WHY?

The logo. The name. Hell, they could stamp their name into a pile of **** and it would outsell most of what comes out these days.

Geist

Smash Master
Nintendo pretty much profits off of stagnation, and the larger portion of their quality games comes from repeated franchises.
Its like they attempted to step to new grounds with the wii, but I always I felt that the portion they relentlessly milked was only a fraction of the potential that could have been realized.
All they did was make progression apparent, and then backed off from it.

But I totally agree with Nihongo-ookami. My brother wears nintendo glasses for christ sake

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's not their fault that they profit off stagnation, everytime they try something new it's called "not Nintendo" and seen as unsatisfactory. Take Geist for example, that was a great concept and really enjoyable I felt, but it was way out of Nintendo's realm and was immediately slammed. If it were made by say Konami, I bet it would have got much higher scores and better reviews.

Nintendo went for the casual, non gamer demographic because they don't have these fickle expectations from Nintendo. Like everyone said, "what do these people know about videogames?". It's for exactly this reason that I think Nintendo wanted to bring them in, because they could start completely fresh without their new consumers wondering where Ganondorf is or why Luigi and Yoshi aren't in the latest game.

Remember we have these expectations because we were raised on these concepts, but with a newer generation (kids love the Wii too) of gamers, there's a whole new scene to develop and explore. It's all just a cycle, and Nintendo went for simplicity because they're jumping right back to square one. I really do feel the next generation Nintendo will bring out a "core" pleasing console, because computer games are like chilli, after a while the same level loses its spice and more needs to be added for you to enjoy the same sensation. Nintendo is going to start pushing more depth into their games because obviously new gamers are going to want a bit more out of their experience.

They haven't hit a brick wall, they've hit the ****ing jackpot because they have brains enough to understand what a generation cycle truly is. It's about the age of consumers. Simple button layouts and easy to pull off manoeuvres, wasn't that what we grew up with with our Arcade games, Gameboys, NES and SNES?

Geist

Smash Master
It's not their fault that they profit off stagnation, everytime they try something new it's called "not Nintendo" and seen as unsatisfactory. Take Geist for example, that was a great concept and really enjoyable I felt, but it was way out of Nintendo's realm and was immediately slammed. If it were made by say Konami, I bet it would have got much higher scores and better reviews.

They haven't hit a brick wall, they've hit the ****ing jackpot because they have brains enough to understand what a generation cycle truly is. It's about the age of consumers. Simple button layouts and easy to pull of manoeuvres, wasn't that what we grew up with with our Arcade games, Gameboys, NES and SNES?
You make great points. I'd say the consumer is equally to blame for Nintendo's lack of original IPs. Its really turned into a vicious circle of what the fans want, what the majority buys, and the criticism from their non-target audience.

I have no doubts that nintendo hit the jackpot though. Nintendo hitting a snag in their marketing due to franchising is the equivalent to taking a bucket of water away from an entire ocean. Nintendo's target audience is litterally everyone who doesn't play video games and then a lot of them who do. Nintendo obviously isn't going to listen to critics who say nintendo needs new IPs, ESPECIALLY if those new IPs don't even sell (See Mad world).

MKOwnage

Smash Journeyman
You seem to have forgotten Kirby.
Another large money maker for Nintendo.
Unfortunately his last title was a rehash as well. Kirby Super Star but wait ULTRA!?
It wasnt much different.
Nintendo needs to think something up fast.
These rehashes will be the death of their brand if they don't.

Geist

Smash Master
I meant Mad World as a new IP, not an original new Nintendo IP. Because it was exclusive to the Wii I thought it would make a good example from the way people complained at the lack of "hardcore games" on the wii. Mad World comes out, and no one buys it.

finalark

SNORLAX
I meant Mad World as a new IP, not an original new Nintendo IP. Because it was exclusive to the Wii I thought it would make a good example from the way people complained at the lack of "hardcore games" on the wii. Mad World comes out, and no one buys it.
... but Madworld isn't a Nintendo IP. That's like saying that Metal Gear Solid is a Sony IP, not a Konami IP, because most the games are on Sony consoles. I think you're getting your teminology mixed up here.

But seriously, you make a good point. I'm actually planning on going out and picking up Mad World once I finish playing through MGS1.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
but what will they do after galaxies 2?

super mario dimensions?
:laugh:

I've thought about this at length. To no avail. Super Mario Bros. Time. Ooooo... that'd be different.

It's like the VH1 show "I love the 90's" ... how you name the 00's... I love the Oh Oh's ? ... hm. Doesn't fit that little jingle, really.

I'm actually planning on going out and picking up Mad World once I finish playing through MGS1.
Is it your first time playing it??

You should get PE :p

D20

Smash Lord
I always wondered why Nintendo never made a "real" Pokemon game for the Gamecube or the Wii. They just keep beating around the bush with titles like "Pokemon Snap" or "Pokemon Colosseum". I think they need to remake the series by fully realizing Kanto in 3D and by retooling the overall mechanics. How cool would it be to actually feel like you are EXPLORING the world? How cool would it be to forgo random encounters and always be able to actually SEE Pokemon flying, fighting, and scurrying around? Hell. I'm 22, and I would love it! Essentially, Nintendo needs to remake Pokemon like it remade The Legend of Zelda with "Ocarina of Time".

Speaking of Zelda... I think it is time Nintendo mans up and creates an "Oblivion" style non-linear game set in the Zelda Universe (whatever the hell that actually is). The least the could do would be to return to the "Majora's Mask" model of a plot with interesting and rewarding side quests. I am not asking for a more "mature" game, just one that does not lead the player by the nose. They could use the "Wind Waker" graphics for all I care. However, a sense of exploration and of the world being larger-than-life needs to return to this series. Also, is voice acting too much to ask for?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I've said this before, I'll say it again:

Any "true" 3-D Pokemon had better be an MMO. I'm not buying another Pokemon game until it happens.

D20

Smash Lord
I've said this before, I'll say it again:

Any "true" 3-D Pokemon had better be an MMO. I'm not buying another Pokemon game until it happens.
That would be a dream. However, Nintendo has such an aversion to online content. This is so unfortunate because MMOs are basically the future of gaming.

On another note, your flavor text/avatar combination is so win.

finalark

SNORLAX
I always wondered why Nintendo never made a "real" Pokemon game for the Gamecube or the Wii. They just keep beating around the bush with titles like "Pokemon Snap" or "Pokemon Colosseum". I think they need to remake the series by fully realizing Kanto in 3D and by retooling the overall mechanics. How cool would it be to actually feel like you are EXPLORING the world? How cool would it be to forgo random encounters and always be able to actually SEE Pokemon flying, fighting, and scurrying around? Hell. I'm 22, and I would love it! Essentially, Nintendo needs to remake Pokemon like it remade The Legend of Zelda with "Ocarina of Time".

Speaking of Zelda... I think it is time Nintendo mans up and creates an "Oblivion" style non-linear game set in the Zelda Universe (whatever the hell that actually is). The least the could do would be to return to the "Majora's Mask" model of a plot with interesting and rewarding side quests. I am not asking for a more "mature" game, just one that does not lead the player by the nose. They could use the "Wind Waker" graphics for all I care. However, a sense of exploration and of the world being larger-than-life needs to return to this series. Also, is voice acting too much to ask for?
D20, you rolled a critical on this post. I agree a hundred and ten percent. And seriously, Nintendo, these days voice acting is pretty much an industry standard.

D

Deleted member

Super Mario Galaxy was amazing and no one will argue against that, but in the release there was a huge amount of untapped potential in the realm of gravity based platforming that really couldn't have been tapped realistically in a first iteration. So though it isn't entirely new and therefore is fated to be rated worse than the original (though it will still probably be one of the Wii's top rated games), I would actually feel a little disappointed if they moved onto another concept without having a chance to fully realize the potential of gravity based platforming.
I think that's where Super Mario Galaxy 2 will come to step in.

D

Deleted member

@Rudementry: I believe there are around thirty Wii games that support DLC.

@MKOwnage: Maybe in handheld, but we haven't seen a true installment of the Kirby series since February, 2006 (If I'm correct) and no main console installment since 2000.

Kirby is more of a B-tier series. Funny part was that it received relatively lots of games on the SNES.

But the point is, Kirby doesn't seem to matter much with Nintendo nowadays. However, there has been rumors regarding an Kirby game for the Wii, so maybe that will change.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
But the point is, Kirby doesn't seem to matter much with Nintendo nowadays. However, there has been rumors regarding an Kirby game for the Wii, so maybe that will change.
Sad truth, nearly all the Kirby fans have faith for Kirby Wii is just false rumors. Kirby Tilt n' Tumble that got canceled for the GC would be a jewel if it were to release on the Wii, but oh well.

Top Bottom