• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo has hit a brick wall.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think everyone should note that Nintendo's greatest strength *(and as fin sees I guess, weakness) throughout their history has been first party development. That's their key. Unlike the other systems, Nintendo makes their -own- games. And this means there will be a canon of games that remains consistent throughout each incarnation of their system.

Their system... their games...

There are plenty of examples of games that are sequels that aren't as good as the originals or predecessors. For me it was Snake Eater, really did make lose interest, though I'll try MGS4 when I get a new console to see if they've rectified themselves.

Why didn't I like it? Too different from Sons of Liberty.

But, sons of liberty WASN'T too different from MGS. It was an IMPROVEMENT on an existing idea.

That's the difference between good sequels and bad, the difference between franchise fandom, and death.

So... no, Nintendo has not hit any brick walls, they're just chillin' and why not? They have sold more units than anyone else, why stress your thinktanks when you don't have to? if YOU want more games, get to playing that Dreamcast my friend.

/thread

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
This blog is ridiculous. THE ENTIRE NES AND SNES ERA WAS BUILT AROUND REHASHING OTHER IDEAS AND GAMES, EVEN MORESO THAN THE WII IS NOW. Once you realize that then you really shouldn't have any reason to complain about what the Wii is currently doing.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yes, how a series works is that they all keep the same basic formual but improve and add each time. Lets look at the 3D Mario series.

Mario 64 pretty much invented 3D platforming.

Mario Sunshine improved apon this with new game play elements, including the addition of Fluud.

Mario Galaxy took platforming to another level by taking the ideas behind the "secret" levels in Mario Sunshine and really rolling with it.

So what's Mario Galaxy 2 going to add? Yoshi?

Eh, whatever. This debate is a lost cause, I think I'm just going to go back to playing Shenmue now.

justaway12

Smash Master
Finalark, no offence, but Super Mario Galaxy 2 isn't coming out any time soon. Obviously they won't leak everything, we don't even know if Rosalina is coming back, and just from watching the trailer I learned there are new-powerups (drill), new friend (woodman), and the Yoshis have powers too.

Bottom line is, we have only had one trailer, IIRC, and that's it, of-course we won't know everything/a lot about it.

We could kind of say the same for NSMBW, the only thing that was revealed were the koopa kids, now we know about the super guide, some of the power-ups,
Bowser. Jr (not sure if I should put this in spoilers xD)
, the map screen, toad houses etc.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I don't see why people are complaining about NSMB Wii being a rehash. I don't care, it has four freakin players. That's something I've wanted ever since I was a kid playing the games.

Also that's the point, it's not there to be an entirely new game. It's there to be innovative in it's own way. And I'm happy.

I don't see why you'd want this for just a brand new single player Mario. =/

Probably gonna be the best party game on the Wii after Brawl.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Regardless, what Teran said was true, though I find it odd now that these same fans are now attacking Nintendo for what they always have done, see Firius in the Wii 2 thread.
...I was this close to saying "I'm not involved in this debate, maybe I'll just prevent myself from ever entering it," but when you cite me in the debate you pretty much just dragged me into it.

First of all. MY. NAME. IS. FIRUS. I don't know why my name is the only name on SmashBoards that no one seems capable of reading. -_-
(If you just search on SmashBoards for "Firius", "Firust", or "Frutis", you can see how many times people misread my name and understand why I'm raging so much about that.)

Second of all, you totally missed the point of my post. I was saying the following:

If this is a totally new console, then...

- I hate the fact that they're marketing the entire console on HD graphics. I don't care if it hasn't been officially announced yet, the first thing you know about something is always going to be the main selling point, thus it being the main selling point.

Whether or not it's a new console, if it's really true, then...

- I hate the fact that they're slapping on movie-playing capabilities and HD graphics when I don't care about graphics and respected them for not catering to the graphics-nazis, and slapping on an extra, non-game-related feature, forcing you to pay more if you want to buy the console, when if you really wanted it you could just...you know...GET A DVD/BLU-RAY PLAYER.

My complaint was never that they're creating the same console with updated graphics. It would've been that they're focusing on graphics. Therefore, the Game Boy argument doesn't counter anything that I said. Not to mention, the Game Boy upgrades actually did bring something to the table.

Game Boy Pocket -- More portable.
Game Boy Color -- Color.

Game Boy Advance SP -- Frontlight.
Game Boy Micro -- More portable.

Finally. Can it with the moronic "LOL ROSE TINTED GLASSES" argument. I will flip out if anyone tells me that I'm looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses one more time, I'm serious. If you think I'm looking back at old consoles and forgetting exactly how similar they are to today, then feel free to say that WITHOUT the unnecessary "lol nostalgia" crap. It doesn't bring ANYTHING to your argument except make you look EXTREMELY arrogant.

You know there's a reason why Nintendo stick to their guns so firmly. You, the Nintendo fans, scold them if they break the mould a bit.
You cannot group every single Nintendo fan into one large group and call them all "you".

Look at Majora's Mask. It was an amazing game, but it was too atypical for most Zelda fans. People complain that all Nintendo games are just Mario trying to save Peach from Bowser in a giant lava filled castle, Link getting 3 items to unlock the Master Sword before taking on 7 dungeons or so to beat Ganon etc etc.
That's actually kind of hard to make as an argument, as there are actually quite a few Zelda fans who consider Majora's Mask to be the best Zelda game ever, many of them members of SmashBoards.

The fact of the matter is, Nintendo fans complain if anything else is done. Nintendo is getting stale because of the fans. This is why they're now ignoring their original "core gamer" fanbase and jumping over to the fickle casuals. Easy money, and soon they can cultivate their new Nintendo fanboys, before they get impossible to please with their elitist and picky attitude.

Just face it, it's the Nintendo fans' fault, not Nintendo's. If the loyal fans were so great for Nintendo, they wouldn't have been 3rd in the console races having to change their business strategy.
Here you are again grouping everyone into one when this simply doesn't apply to everyone. I spent all of last console generation defending the GameCube against all of my friends who were convinced the PS2/Xbox were so much better. I loved Nintendo and I, to this day, still have more GameCube games than any other console. There were a lot of fans who decided Nintendo was too kiddie and ditched them, yes, but isn't it hard to call someone like that a "loyal fan"?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The Wii was Gamecube 1.5, that's why they need to re-assert themselves as being capable of walking tall with the graphic whores. As was pointed out, MGS4 couldn't come to Wii because it's too weak on graphics. At least if a new system comes out that isn't weaker than its competitors graphic-wise, developers can come out w/titles for Nintendo again. It's no surprise really that Nintendo has admitted their library's stalled, given this allusion. I'd also wager (though I have no direct evidence) that Nintendo has scoped the masses and learned that the #1 reason why ppl prefer xbag or pos3 is cause of the graphics issue, with the "janky" controller being a close second.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It doesn't matter if Nintendo hit a brick wall, they'll just smash it away with Hammer Bros and continue with their two twenty-billion dollar industries, and then some. Nintendo is in a virtually endless state of making money, and these games do that even easier. Sales doesn't matter as much when they have to store all their money inside a mountain to keep track of it.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You cannot group every single Nintendo fan into one large group and call them all "you".

That's actually kind of hard to make as an argument, as there are actually quite a few Zelda fans who consider Majora's Mask to be the best Zelda game ever, many of them members of SmashBoards.

Here you are again grouping everyone into one when this simply doesn't apply to everyone. I spent all of last console generation defending the GameCube against all of my friends who were convinced the PS2/Xbox were so much better. I loved Nintendo and I, to this day, still have more GameCube games than any other console. There were a lot of fans who decided Nintendo was too kiddie and ditched them, yes, but isn't it hard to call someone like that a "loyal fan"?
No, but I can speak of them as a majority. In business, it's the majority that's important. My arguments are sound because they're clearly evidenced in Nintendo's new strategy.

I'd like you to offer another explanation as to why Nintendo don't go out on a limb and try new stuff.

Remember Geist? There's an example.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Sales doesn't matter as much when they have to store all their money inside a mountain to keep track of it.
Doom mountain? With Ganon on high sitting atop the pile of loot grinning to his satisfaction, and zelda and link in chains getting yoshi's eggs thrown at them.

"mwahaha, make more, make more!"

bobson

Smash Lord
Yes, how a series works is that they all keep the same basic formual but improve and add each time. Lets look at the 3D Mario series.

Mario 64 pretty much invented 3D platforming.

Mario Sunshine improved apon this with new game play elements, including the addition of Fluud.

Mario Galaxy took platforming to another level by taking the ideas behind the "secret" levels in Mario Sunshine and really rolling with it.

So what's Mario Galaxy 2 going to add? Yoshi?
You list Sunshine as "improving upon Mario 64 with new gameplay elements" and then disregard Galaxy 2 as "just adding Yoshi?" Sunshine was Mario 64 with a water gun.

The game's not even finished yet, ****. At least wait until it exists before deciding it doesn't do anything new. And, hell, it doesn't need to do anything new; Galaxy was good enough that Galaxy with a Bunch of New Levels and Nothing Else would be a great release anyway.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Yeah...I went to the store recently and looked at the Wii section and must've seen like 3 different sports minigames, 2 different versions of carnival games, and 3 different work-out games with random fitness celebrity/women on the front cover. 2/3 of their shelf was casual stuff. This really makes me want to give up on Nintendo. But I agree, they really need to bring Star Fox and F-Zero to win me back.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well when you think about it, it's the same old Nintendo.

Instead of having a few games here and there that are all good and barely anything being released otherwise, you've got a couple of good games here and there with a truckload of trash too.

Just ignore the trash and stick to the worthwhile titles, Admittedly, that's easier said than done.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No, but I can speak of them as a majority. In business, it's the majority that's important. My arguments are sound because they're clearly evidenced in Nintendo's new strategy.

I'd like you to offer another explanation as to why Nintendo don't go out on a limb and try new stuff.

Remember Geist? There's an example.
I never denied that Nintendo changed its marketing strategy due to last generation.

What I'm pointing out is that there is a distinction between Nintendo fans and the Nintendo fans that complained about everything last generation and moved onto another console because the GameCube was too kiddie.

You can speak of all Nintendo fans as a majority, but it's inaccurate to lump the two groups together. The people who didn't have a problem with Nintendo last generation aren't at fault for what the other fans did. They have to put up with it, but it isn't their fault.

One last thing. Everything about games is NOT business. Nintendo is a business and makes decisions that benefit them as a business, but I don't remember ever giving a crap about Nintendo as a business. I care about how their business and products are beneficial/detrimental to me.

In these types of debates people talk about how Nintendo is a business, this is a sound business decision for them, and then they come to the conclusion that we have no right to complain about it and we have to put up with it (I'm not pointing any fingers, I don't think anyone has actually said it in this blog yet, this is from past experience.) Just because Nintendo prints money by solely marketing for the casuals doesn't mean we have to be happy about it.

DQP

Smash Ace
i went to gamestop and looked at the wii section, and 80% of the games there had celebrities and cartoon characters on the cover. another 5% were other shovelware (5 copies of ninjabread man... lol). there were only a few that appealed to me, such as Prime trilogy, twilight princess, and guitar hero 5. it's not easy to avoid shovelware. it is easy, however, to ignore it.

as a core gamer, i still haven't given up on nintendo. so what if all they're adding to galaxy 2 is yoshi? i don't mind. the original galaxy was good enough for me to get excited for a sequel, even if it is the same game with new levels.

as for rehashes, i'd like to bring up metroid: other m. it's a third-person metroid game with new mechanics such as hand-to-hand combat. this is what i like to see from nintendo. reimagining franchises in radical new ways is what nintendo is famous for. mario 64 brought platforming to 3D. goldeneye 007 practically invented the first-person-shooter genre. smash bros. brought new ideas to the fighting-genre table. if they keep doing this, what they've done so well for their entire lifespan, i'm sure they'll be able to keep core gamer's like myself from giving up on them.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I never denied that Nintendo changed its marketing strategy due to last generation.

What I'm pointing out is that there is a distinction between Nintendo fans and the Nintendo fans that complained about everything last generation and moved onto another console because the GameCube was too kiddie.

You can speak of all Nintendo fans as a majority, but it's inaccurate to lump the two groups together. The people who didn't have a problem with Nintendo last generation aren't at fault for what the other fans did. They have to put up with it, but it isn't their fault.

One last thing. Everything about games is NOT business. Nintendo is a business and makes decisions that benefit them as a business, but I don't remember ever giving a crap about Nintendo as a business. I care about how their business and products are beneficial/detrimental to me.

In these types of debates people talk about how Nintendo is a business, this is a sound business decision for them, and then they come to the conclusion that we have no right to complain about it and we have to put up with it (I'm not pointing any fingers, I don't think anyone has actually said it in this blog yet, this is from past experience.) Just because Nintendo prints money by solely marketing for the casuals doesn't mean we have to be happy about it.

I hate it when people say "you shouldn't speak about everyone like this, it's a generalisation, it's inaccurate blah blah..."

You know, I'm fully aware that different people exist, unfortunately the way most people word the English language leaves this little ambiguity to be picked at by people, people who knew exactly what the other person meant, but want to make an issue of that point because it's a way of showing up someone they disagree with, even though it isn't entirely relevant.

You know I'm sorry to say it but everything about games IS in fact business. Why hire the best writers for a script? So people love the story, give it good reviews, and it sells better. Why spend all those hours fine tuning elements of gameplay? So people will buy it. Why just focus on flash graphics and ignore everything else? Good graphics sell to simple minds. Why not even put effort in at all yet still release some shovelware? It makes money.

Every single bit of artistic flair and amazing innovation that goes into gaming is about the money they earn from it. They aren't winning Nobel Prizes or Academy Awards. You don't see Satoru Iwata or Shigeru Miyamoto as household names with their faces plastered all over the media. Nah, they need their dough from selling games, that's all.

Yeah you're right, you don't have to be happy about it, nobody says you should be satisfied with what Nintendo is offering you. The thing is though, nobody's forcing you to buy their products. You bought into the Wii early because of the promise of the same old Nintendo. Well maybe you should've been more wise and stuck around before making an investment? I've never been a launch date mania man, I waited a year before buying my Wii, and I'm perfectly satisfied with it so far. People have this idea that Nintendo were once a benign and angelic corporation that cared more about them than making money. The truth is, they were ****ing up and needed a good PR to cover up for that. They've never really cared about people, I'm sorry to say it but it's true. No large corporation is very charitable, they exist in the market to rake in the dough. You just shouldn't be mad at them for what they're doing, just mad at everyone else for making this mode of business more viable for them.

Something I'm sure you'll agree with, the majority of people are morons. Obviously taking this into account, if Nintendo wants to stay afloat, it has to entice these morons into buying their products rather than the minority.

Blame the customer base, not Nintendo.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I hate it when people say "you shouldn't speak about everyone like this, it's a generalisation, it's inaccurate blah blah..."
And I hate it when people generalize.

You know, I'm fully aware that different people exist, unfortunately the way most people word the English language leaves this little ambiguity to be picked at by people, people who knew exactly what the other person meant, but want to make an issue of that point because it's a way of showing up someone they disagree with, even though it isn't entirely relevant.
I wasn't doing anything like that, actually...I'm not so petty as to start an argument just to say "WELL SEE YOU WERE WRONG". My whole issue is that people are basically saying "Yeah, you Nintendo fans can't blame anyone but yourselves for this." If I didn't do anything, how is it my fault? It isn't, because it was another group of Nintendo fans that caused the problem.

You know I'm sorry to say it but everything about games IS in fact business. Why hire the best writers for a script? So people love the story, give it good reviews, and it sells better. Why spend all those hours fine tuning elements of gameplay? So people will buy it. Why just focus on flash graphics and ignore everything else? Good graphics sell to simple minds. Why not even put effort in at all yet still release some shovelware? It makes money.

Every single bit of artistic flair and amazing innovation that goes into gaming is about the money they earn from it. They aren't winning Nobel Prizes or Academy Awards. You don't see Satoru Iwata or Shigeru Miyamoto as household names with their faces plastered all over the media. Nah, they need their dough from selling games, that's all.
You don't understand what I'm saying.

For the people making the games, yes, it is 100% business.

But is it business for US? For the consumers? Don't we buy games to have fun or accomplish something to that effect?

And if it isn't business for the consumers, then why should we care if Nintendo is printing money or not? Just as Nintendo's sole goal is to make money, our sole goal is to enjoy ourselves. They don't care if we enjoy ourselves, as long as they make money, just as we don't care if they make money if we're enjoying ourselves.

Yeah you're right, you don't have to be happy about it, nobody says you should be satisfied with what Nintendo is offering you. The thing is though, nobody's forcing you to buy their products. You bought into the Wii early because of the promise of the same old Nintendo. Well maybe you should've been more wise and stuck around before making an investment? I've never been a launch date mania man, I waited a year before buying my Wii, and I'm perfectly satisfied with it so far.
I haven't bought any of their products since Animal Crossing: City Folk. Before that, I think it was Brawl.
Unless you count retro games, which I wouldn't, seeing as Nintendo isn't making a profit off of them.

I "bought into" (I slightly resent that wording, since it implies that it was some crazy pyramid scheme or something, though you may not have meant it that way) the Wii because A) I'd been getting Nintendo systems since the N64, yes, and B) Because motion sensor looked promising and revolutionary. I still hold that it could be if it were used properly more often.

I didn't get it on release date, either, I got it a few months after release.

Even if I had waited a whole year before getting the Wii, that wouldn't have helped. I didn't become dissatisfied with the Wii until May of last year, not too long after I became dissatisfied with Brawl.

I don't regret buying the Wii even now, though. I'm dissatisfied with Nintendo's work with the Wii, but I can enjoy the Wii with Homebrew.

People have this idea that Nintendo were once a benign and angelic corporation that cared more about them than making money. The truth is, they were ****ing up and needed a good PR to cover up for that. They've never really cared about people, I'm sorry to say it but it's true. No large corporation is very charitable, they exist in the market to rake in the dough. You just shouldn't be mad at them for what they're doing, just mad at everyone else for making this mode of business more viable for them.
No, I understand that they were a business back then, too. It just didn't feel so much like it, because they were putting out products that made me happy.

Something I'm sure you'll agree with, the majority of people are morons. Obviously taking this into account, if Nintendo wants to stay afloat, it has to entice these morons into buying their products rather than the minority.

Blame the customer base, not Nintendo.
Yes, I definitely agree with that.

I know Nintendo has to do something to stay afloat...nevertheless, they're not satisfying me. Obviously I can acknowledge that they have to cater to the people who will make them more money, I just wish they would make more games that I'll enjoy. (Well, actually, at this point I guess I don't even care that much anymore, since I've already come to terms with it and found other things to please me.)

But yes...in the end, it's the customers who are the problem.

Ryne

Smash Cadet
The Wii is the worlds biggest joke. The only reason I have one is for Smash Bros and other fighting games, thats it. If not for that, **** Nintendo and **** the Wii.

comboking

Smash Master
Nintendo makes tons of money they will not run out of money. lol
They have big Franchise games coming out.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
N64 was the last great nintendo system.

For Gamecube, Melee was the only good game for me. Wind Waker was okay, TP was a huge let down. The new Starfox game sucked compared to Starfox64 and I didn't even purchase the game.

Wii is also a terrible system. I don't even like Brawl, I like the people I meet playing it. I also like hacking it lol. That's about all it has going for me. All the few Wii games I own suck ***.

Pokemon Battle Revolution, Super Paper Mario, Wii Sports (Im sorry this is just a novelty tech demonstration for the wii with half ***** graphics and if people rather play this game than actually play the real sport in real life theres a problem honestly...) Sonic and the secret rings all suck ***.

Super Mario Galaxy was lovely and was very enjoyable, but I don't play it any more.

I said this before and I'll say it again- honestly, the best games for the Wii aren't even for the Wii. They're the classics from the older systems on the virtual console, but even that is flawed. Where the **** is Starfox and Earthbound for the SNES? Kirby Super Star? I ain't buying that lame DS remake **** that. Same with Chrono Trigger. FF3 would be amazing too. For younger generations Wii has a lot of potiential, but for a 22 year old like me who actually owns the real systems and games, it's not worth it.

Also Wii breaks super easily. I tipped mine over and now it overheats after 40 mins of play time. I'm not sending it for repairs because nintendo will remove my homebrew and I love my replay hacks. Guys, I stepped full force on my Sega Genesis and nothing happened to it. Srsly Wii fails on all dimensions.

tl;dr

I agree Nintendo fails now.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
Uhh...
I agree that Nintendo has hit a wall(and with SMG2)
But I liked the Gamecube to Wii games...

Edit: Sniper I havent played the first Kirby Super Star but I recomend getting the new Kirby Super Star Ultra. It's amazing.

Silk

Smash Apprentice

For Gamecube, Melee was the only good game for me. Wind Waker was okay, TP was a huge let down. The new Starfox game sucked compared to Starfox64 and I didn't even purchase the game.

Wii is also a terrible system. I don't even like Brawl, I like the people I meet playing it. I also like hacking it lol. That's about all it has going for me. All the few Wii games I own suck ***.

Pokemon Battle Revolution, Super Paper Mario, Wii Sports (Im sorry this is just a novelty tech demonstration for the wii with half ***** graphics and if people rather play this game than actually play the real sport in real life theres a problem honestly...) Sonic and the secret rings all suck ***.

Super Mario Galaxy was lovely and was very enjoyable, but I don't play it any more.

I said this before and I'll say it again- honestly, the best games for the Wii aren't even for the Wii. They're the classics from the older systems on the virtual console, but even that is flawed. Where the **** is Starfox and Earthbound for the SNES? Kirby Super Star? I ain't buying that lame DS remake **** that. Same with Chrono Trigger. FF3 would be amazing too. For younger generations Wii has a lot of potiential, but for a 22 year old like me who actually owns the real systems and games, it's not worth it.

Also Wii breaks super easily. I tipped mine over and now it overheats after 40 mins of play time. I'm not sending it for repairs because nintendo will remove my homebrew and I love my replay hacks. Guys, I stepped full force on my Sega Genesis and nothing happened to it. Srsly Wii fails on all dimensions.

tl;dr

I agree Nintendo fails now.
I think you missed out on a few good GameCube games myself, the problem with many of the good GC games is that later on they lost their exclusive appearance on the GC and started appearing on the other systems (this was good for gamers as a whole but bad for exclusively GC users because their system was now having many of its great games appear on other systems, so what's the point of owning a GC?)

I'm talking about games like the Viewtiful Joe 1&2 and Resident Evil 4 as great games that are examples of this. It still retained some exclusive gems, obviously the Nintendo franchises, and games like Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Of Nintendo's games, did you seriously not enjoy Metroid Prime or the sequel? I was also not so hyped for TP so maybe that's why I was pleasently surprised, and not let down as you were (I also loved OoT and MM).

I ended up enjoying some of the more "on the fence" titles such as Paper Mario/Wind Waker/Mario Sunshine as well though, so my viewpoint is skewed in that sense.

But I don't think anyone can refute that the Wii is pretty horrendous at this point and lacks really any good games, Mario Galaxy is the only exception for me at this point and time.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Wait you preferred N64 over Gamecube? Wow, I wouldn't have expected that. I actually abandoned Nintendo over N64 due to its controller, and because it came out so much later than playstation so interest was hard to generate anyway. If it weren't for goldeneye I'd have never given that system another thought. It even made me not get a gamecube (which sucked cause of all I missing) but thankfully my wife was a nintendo fangirl and got me into cube, and i immediately adopted it over PS2 as my favorite of that generation. RE4 was just waaay better on GC.

I notice Star Fox Adventures doesn't have a huge following, I personally love that game, despite it being OoT w/starfox sprites lol c'mon how can you hate that little dinosaur that follows you around? Nah but yeah I just wish the Wii -did- have better graphic capabilities. Had that been the case, this whole thread would have never existed. *(not that I hate this thread, but I hate that people are harshing on the Wii for lack of titles when it could have been avoided by having stronger graphics)

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I've never really understood why people care so much about graphics. I mean some people think that graphics are as important as playability. Not even close. Don't get me wrong, I like a good looking game, but I'd much rather play a game that had good gameplay and subpar graphics than vice versa. I mean if the graphics are so bad that you can't tell what you're looking at, then that's different obviously. To me graphics are just an extra thing to top off a game and make the experience better, nothing more, nothing less.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
It only takes about 40 seconds to delete homebrew and is still easy to install back in.

Unless you actually heavy modify the system or something. I just used it for Geckos (got rid of it though 'cause it just wasn't really that fun after a while).

also don't be dissin ultra, sniper. it really is a great game still. it's pretty much the same game with graphics and extra stuff. I don't see how you can think of that as lame but whatever.

i'll say I don't think Nintendo has hit too much of a wall with the DS imo. One of the only good systems this gen. Maybe they're running out of ideas with the newer version (sort of, they're basically turning the ds into a wii of some sort), which I guess defines hitting a wall, but that doesn't matter to me, still fun.

I would feel for everyone here but I didn't really experience many games the last few gens (like all the remakes coming out and stuff) so basically I'm lucky in a way. But it opens up too many options I guess.

Also I'm still sort of curious as to why people are saying that sequels to games and what-not are counted as "hitting the wall". Nintendo has some of the best innovative ideas when making sequels. From the smash series to the Mario series. That's how video games work. I'm glad for that too, when I buy a mario game I want a mario game.

also I agree about graphics. Though if you're going to downgrade graphics at this gen then you'd better make up for it in gameplay and length or whatever way you possibly can.

In some games though graphics really make the experience so much better. Like the prime series and other adventure games like that.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Graphic PRESNTATION matters. Look at Yoshi Island. Look at Wind Waker. Look at Okami. Look at Killer 7. Now compare those to games from the same gen that went for the realistic look only. The presentation is what matters in terms of how things look. This is why Resident Evil Code Veronica looks like horribly crap now but Resident Evil Gamecube remake still looks amazaing and Resident Evil 4 still looks as good as the majority of the games on the Xbox 360 and the PS3.

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo will continue to "rehash" as long as they're making money off of it, and there's nothing we can do about it.
/discussion

comboking

Smash Master
But they are good rehashes with innovation. New Super Mario Bros. Wii 4 player innovation. How about Metroid Mother M looks like nothing we have seen that is Metroid.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Graphic PRESNTATION matters. Look at Yoshi Island. Look at Wind Waker. Look at Okami. Look at Killer 7. Now compare those to games from the same gen that went for the realistic look only. The presentation is what matters in terms of how things look. This is why Resident Evil Code Veronica looks like horribly crap now but Resident Evil Gamecube remake still looks amazaing and Resident Evil 4 still looks as good as the majority of the games on the Xbox 360 and the PS3.
But that's more of the graphical style than how good of graphics they are.

Not what I was talking about.

But yeah I get what you're saying.

But they are good rehashes with innovation. New Super Mario Bros. Wii 4 player innovation. How about Metroid Mother M looks like nothing we have seen that is Metroid.
Other M isn't a rehash though.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
also don't be dissin ultra, sniper. it really is a great game still. it's pretty much the same game with graphics and extra stuff. I don't see how you can think of that as lame but whatever.
Some people actually like playing the original game.

Of course, in my opinion, going for the original would be going all-out and getting the SNES cartridge, but then again I'm pretty picky when it comes to originals.

Nintendo will continue to "rehash" as long as they're making money off of it, and there's nothing we can do about it.
/discussion
No, not /discussion.

Just because we can't do anything about it doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

I assume when someone close to you dies, you'll just say "Oh well can't do anything about it now /discussion," right?

First of all, it's Other M.

Second of all, from what we've seen so far, Other M isn't anything like any other Metroid game.

Also, isn't it contradictory to call something a "rehash with innovation"? If it's a rehash, that basically means it lacks that innovation.

comboking

Smash Master
That's what I meant I got confused because is spells Mom which might mean a new mother Brain might be in the game.

No innovation try CoD:MW2. but I don't know it might have some.

PassWurD

Smash Journeyman
No, not /discussion.

Just because we can't do anything about it doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

I assume when someone close to you dies, you'll just say "Oh well can't do anything about it now /discussion," right?
Sucks that people would put a video game console, in the same heights as a human being that was close to you dying. Although yes, that is pretty much what you do.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I don't agree on the /discussion but agree with PassWurD's statement. I would hope Firus was just exaggerating a bit though.

Also Firus beggars can't be choosers. When you've got basically the same product right in front of you, just different quality, just use it. (Not really pointing this at you Sniper just at the statement in general). I mean it's their choice if they want to go out and buy the original game, but if you can't afford it you shouldn't complain. Nintendo honestly has no real reason to put Kirby Super Star on the Virtual Console since it could even lower the sales of the Ultra game.. which produces more profit in the end.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Sucks that people would put a video game console, in the same heights as a human being that was close to you dying. Although yes, that is pretty much what you do.
That's not what I was doing at all.

It's a comparison for you to understand just how stupid it is to say that just because you can't do anything about something, it's useless to discuss it.

I don't think that a human being dying is the same as Nintendo sucking, and I resent that you think my priorities are so out of whack as to think that.

I don't agree on the /discussion but agree with PassWurD's statement. I would hope Firus was just exaggerating a bit though.
I was exaggerating a LOT, and that's the point. The more extreme an example is, the more it grabs your attention and the easier it is to understand. If someone thinks it's legitimate to shut down an argument just because we can't do anything about it, and then you compare it to another argument, it's far less likely to prove a point.

Also Firus beggars can't be choosers. When you've got basically the same product right in front of you, just different quality, just use it. (Not really pointing this at you Sniper just at the statement in general). I mean it's their choice if they want to go out and buy the original game, but if you can't afford it you shouldn't complain. Nintendo honestly has no real reason to put Kirby Super Star on the Virtual Console since it could even lower the sales of the Ultra game.. which produces more profit in the end.
Except if you're a collector and like playing the original game, that's what you do. You choose, no matter how long it would take to find the original at Goodwill or something. Either that or you settle and order it online for more money, but even then you wait until you find a deal.

I don't know exactly how Sniper chooses to play games, but I prefer playing the original so much that when I wanted to play some Majora's Mask I decided not to even bother with playing it on Collector's Edition because I didn't want to get into the file and have to start over when I got the original game. That happened when I wanted to play Paper Mario and had already bought it on VC, too. (I didn't decide on this until around this time last year, so I already had some games purchased on VC, whereas I don't buy them anymore.)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
nah, just one good troll deserves another ^^

OT: if them making a sequel to mario galaxy (which i've not played) = nintendo running out of ideas, then you've simply forgotten that sequels are why the nintendo remains in the game. without sequels to top titles, no system thrives. ps has metal gear, tekken, just to name 2 (don't play much ps games anymore). I mean, imagine a nintendo console coming out that didn't have sequels to mario, zelda, etc. it'd flop! ppl would like "woah, where's the zelda game? where's the mario game?" besides Mario is the mascot of nintendo, they can make all the sequels they want and not be guilty of becoming stale.

Top Bottom