• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo DSi

Javier78

Smash Apprentice
It'll have a camera and a music player, amongst other things. Checkout the link!

http://kotaku.com/5055944/report-new-nintendo-ds-coming-this-year-with-camera-music-playback

Ok, I couldn't update the thread Yesterday because I was out in NYC, Sorry for just posting the link and not any thoughts on this.

I, for one, am not on either side. I don't care if they release this thing and start supporting it, and then dropping accessory support for the DS Lite. What really is bothering me, however, is that some games(such as Piktura, the supposedly new pikmin game coming for the new DS) might fully utilize the camera and MP3 Player, and then start seeing less and less traditional DS games coming out. In other words, no, I'm not getting it, especially if they drop GBA support.

Here's FirustheHedgehog's thoughts on this. This is a must-read post if you are getting excited for this.

My thoughts?

Yay, Nintendo has jumped on the bandwagon of "ZOMG CRAM AS MUCH CRAP AS YOU CAN INTO ONE!!" Great. That was the one thing I actually still credited Nintendo for. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, they didn't waste money adding CD and DVD functionality for their consoles. They were (and still are) relentlessly criticized for it, but I honestly don't want to have to spend extra money to play CDs or DVDs on a game console when I have other things to play them anyways and I would be afraid to play them in it anyways because it has the potential to ruin the console so it will only play CDs/DVDs. This, however, shows that they're not leaving off the crap.

I have an iPod. It serves its purpose well, it has enough space to fit all of my music on there, something the DS would certainly be lacking. Even with SD cards I'd need either a metric ton of small ones or a few large ones. I have about 6GB of music on my iPod, and about 10GB of video. Another reason I might as well just stick with my iPod -- the DS isn't going to support that. Not that I want it to, again. So I don't need the music aspect.

I have a nice digital camera. It has much better quality than the DS camera will, (I know, I know, I haven't seen it yet, sue me for making a perfectly logical assumption. With everything else on the handheld, it won't be able to support as good quality, nor will Nintendo waste their time trying to get as good quality.) so unless it can take in-game pictures it's useless to me, and I doubt it will. As for a camera on the go, I don't bring my DS everywhere, and my cell phone serves that purpose well. The quality isn't great, but it doesn't need to be. I don't need the camera, nor would I find it useful.

Another problem; in the link in the OP, someone referenced that the DS may not have GBA support (which is reasonable, considering we lost GB/GBC support with the regular DS and the Lite has half a GBA slot, which isn't that big to begin with). If that's true, I will definitely NOT get this. I mean, hell, 90% of the use my DS Phat (and the only DS I own, I am proud to say) gets is from playing GBA games (specifically Metroid Fusion). If they remove that, there goes most of the use. Now that's purely speculation, but since they're adding two new functions it makes sense, and I'm offering it as a possibility, not as an inevitability.

And another issue with all of this "extra feature" crap. With consoles, it's still annoying, but for portable things there's another problem that some people don't seem to think about. As convenient as it is to have all of your stuff in one place, while you may normally have, say a half an hour of camera battery, 8 hours of DS battery, and 6 hours of iPod battery (just a bunch of random estimations), you now have all of that condensed into one. And if your DS dies, so does your MP3 player and your camera.
Perhaps people realize it and just don't care, I don't know. But it's an issue to me.

ANOTHER issue with this. As some of the people in the initial link pointed out, new games may utilize camera and MP3 functions. This means it is possible that some new games will not be compatible with DS Phat and DS Lite. I would hope that these games would be gimmicky shovelware, but I can't help but worry that they'd put this into a good game and force people to get a totally new handheld for the game.

By the way, to EVERYONE saying "GAWSH GUISE GIVE NINTY A CHANCE!"; are we EVER allowed to be cynical? I realize we're pretty much always cynical, but every time we are you people are there complaining about it. Why are you SO CONCERNED that people are predisposed to think it's going to be bad? And for once, ESPECIALLY in this situation, couldn't we be legitimately cynical rather than just being cynical because it's Nintendo? Maybe we think the concept of a bunch of crap crammed together into one is stupid?

To summarize? I have a perfectly working DS, a perfectly working iPod, and a perfectly working camera. I don't need this nor do I want it, and I think the idea is stupid.

Yes, "tl;dr", etc. etc. Don't complain about it being long just because you're too lazy to read. Just move on if you don't like the length.
DSi officially confirmed: http://kotaku.com/5057870/nintendo-announce-new-ds-the-nintendo-dsi

Alright, now for some screen shots!

The SD card slot.

The DSi, open.

The Camera ( .3megapixels, by the way.)

Will come in 2 colors, white and black.

The User interface (it's a bit blurry.)

Video of DSi in action: http://kotaku.com/5057889/first-look-at-the-new-nintendo-dsi-in-action

Dsi and DS Lite comparisons: http://kotaku.com/5057883/lets-compare-the-ds-lite-and-the-dsi

It will drop GBA support, but will be made thinner. Not by that much however.

The DSi will have it's own little online shop from where you can buy some games. Prices range from: Free, 200 points, 500 points and "Premium" or 800 points. Customers will get 1000 free points to spend at the DSi Shop that are good until March 2010.

The camera will only have .3 megapixels. EDIT:It turns out there are 2 cameras: 1 on the inside(.3 megapixels), and one on the outside(3 megapixels)

An internet browser is also built in (hopefully it doesn't suck this time.).

The DSi will be out on November 1 in Japan, and sometime in Spring in Europe:http://kotaku.com/5057897/dsi-to-hit-europe-in-spring-2009

The DSi won't be out in the US until late 2009:http://kotaku.com/5058137/dsi-not-bound-for-us-until-well-into-next-year

What does everyone think?

I will update this thread later and organize it more, but I have to go.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
So it will be like my PSP, but with a camera?

Hm...

Seeing as I already have a camera and a PSP, I'll pass. Nice try though, Nintendo. Why don't you just release a new handheld?

XACE-K

Smash Master
It actually doesn't excite me too much. I already have a camera and a music player. And a DS.
So it will be like my PSP, but with a camera?

Hm...

Seeing as I already have a camera and a PSP, I'll pass. Nice try though, Nintendo. Why don't you just release a new handheld?
I agree with both these statements. I'll just pass this and keep my regular DS.

Overload

Smash Lord
I'll stick with my ds lite for now. perhaps I will pick it up a year or two after release, but I'm in non rush.

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
well......

You only have to carry one thing around..... instead of 2 or 3.....

I don't even have a DS.... but I want one, so I'll probably get this one. (if its real..)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'd be tempted to get one, but I don't want to get it and find it has the inferior D-Pad the DS Lite has. I guess I'll be sticking with my DS Phat.

Oh and the Camera (and music?) are expeted to be workable with various games too.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Why didn't they make the PWii (Portable Wii) with only the games that can use the GC controllers, and all GC games?
It'd make fans a lot happier.
It's like a Gamcube controller, but smaller and with screens in the middle.
Melee Online FTW.

(I have a DS Phat as well, Mic)

derek.haines

Smash Ace
With everything they seem to be adding, I can't help but think that everyone is looking at this the wrong way. This seems not to be a "redesigned" DS as it is an entirely new one. Therefore, while keeping your old DS might sound like a viable option it's probably going to be obsolete after this DS+Camera is released.

I can't even start to predict how a camera would be instituted (light sensor, glamour shots for in-game avatars?) so it's going to be really interesting to see how that'll turn out.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Hmm so what we are getting is

A Play-yan/Nintendo MP3 player accessory. More Likely Play-yan which had Video and MP3 playback. Seeing we have FMV's in FF games its possible we can have vid playback

Facening de Hyōjō Yutaka ni Inshō Up: Otona no DS Kao Training camera that can take pictures
wikipedia lulz

Boosted Wi-fi connectivity

Bigger Screens

Now all this for an estimated added 20$ more for the current price? Deal. And besides i need to get a new DS, so this is good news to me.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
If you need a new DS, then sure, it's great. For those ho have a great working one right now, it's not worth $180 for a half-bit camera and music player with terrible storage.
Seems like a bit of an assumption to call the camera half-bit before ANYBODY HAS SEEN IT. And if the music player is using SD cards, then it's instantly on par with the PSP, which is very commonly used for just that function. Granted, neither hold a candle to my 160GB iPod Classic, but few things in this life do. :D

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
So Ninty's giving in a little and adding other functions to one of their systems huh... Well this'll be interesting indeed. The camera may or may not be equal to a cell phone's, and if the music player does use SD cards for music then that'll be decent I guess. Boosted WiFi and bigger screens are a plus though...

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
If it connects with WPA, and other Passwords, thats a huge plus.. otherwise I won't get it....

Darkslash

Smash Master
I have no idea why people just start bashing every thing Nintendo does. They do some thing good:Its bad. Sent out a Hardcore game: Its horrible. Im getting REAL tired of hearing this ****.
Any ways back on topic.

Same could be said for the PSP. Its a Music and movie player that has a added bonus of playing games...added by Sony of all companies.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
If they just made the touch screen unscratchable I'd buy it regardless.

And Dia Tian your mains are full of win.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
lol, it's about time I get a new DS, I had the first DS, (Silver & Blue one) since it came and my sliver one finally broke after all those years. T_T

Since I have to get two DS's, I guess this will be my first time getting a DS lite. XD

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I have no idea why people just start bashing every thing Nintendo does. They do some thing good:Its bad. Sent out a Hardcore game: Its horrible. Im getting REAL tired of hearing this ****.
Ninty scorned us with the Wii. A good majority of the games are mindless sensor games. I do like the hardcore games they've released, although even those were toned down for the mainstream. I wouldn't mind all the terrible games if the hardcore ones stuck to there difficulty roots.

This new DS is just another way to earn money. Otherwise they wouldn't need the "Japan testing period". It's just to see if it will make them loads of money.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
This new DS is just another way to earn money. Otherwise they wouldn't need the "Japan testing period". It's just to see if it will make them loads of money.
How do you even know that there's going to be a "Japan testing period"? Nothing has been said yet. It's all just conjecture based off of an article in a Japanese newspaper. Consoles don't go to Japan or North America first anymore, they get simultaneous releases.

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
I just hope its real. I plan on buying it as soon as possible. I wholeheartedly believe that if this was sony there wouldn't be any of this bashing. People don't even know if its even real yet and hate it.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I wouldn't be surprised to see some other features using the DS camera. I think an updated pictochat would be awesome to (Wifi?).

-:bowser:Bowser King

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
My hopes: Pictochat with color, wifi, live cam, voice messages: say a five second(preferably more time) message and send it. Upgradeable Firmware and make it Flash 9+ compatible and able to download files. Astaro filtering service so people won't try and shoot nintendo, you know what I am talking about.

Top Bottom