• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as Japan love goes for Nick, it amounts to SpongeBob, TMNT and My Life As A Teenage Robot. More than half the IPs in the game would be alien to the average player from there.

Given that, it's a wonder Game Mill even released Nick Kart Racers 2 over there at all.

...Oh man, Rep's already my favorite of the two narrators, and if it's one HE'S excited for, then I'm looking forward to it as well!

...Oh my god, what if it's Powdered Toast Man's showcase?

Can you imagine the fun/ham from Rep narrating Powdered Toast Man's showcase?
If "treat" means anything, who else would it be? 🍞

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As far as Japan love goes for Nick, it amounts to SpongeBob, TMNT and My Life As A Teenage Robot. More than half the IPs in the game would be alien to the average player from there.

Given that, it's a wonder Game Mill even released Nick Kart Racers 2 over there at all.

And technically, Kart Racers 2 was the first exposure Japan had to the Loud House, as the show would not receive an official Japanese dub until this year.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
...Oh man, Rep's already my favorite of the two narrators, and if it's one HE'S excited for, then I'm looking forward to it as well!

Dude, you have no idea how much I wanna hear Rep yell "POWDERRRED, TOOOAST, MMMAAAAAAAAAAANNN!!!"

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

Nick Kart Racers 2 didn't actually get a Japanese release. The PS4 storefront isn't region locked so a Japanese player could buy the English version of Nick Kart Racers 2.

amageish

Smash Master

Given how he was shine, I'd say it is very possible that his moveset is considered a treat! I'm thinking it'll be someone mechanically unique.

Well, this is very catchy...

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
So, yeah, at this stage it seems likely that they'll just unceremoniously dump every Avatar trailer on YT and Twitter, with a less than 0% chance of showing up at TGS, not even for the XBox event.

Feels hilariously backwards, considering what CatDog and April got.
I think that was because CatDog and April were revealed in a Gaming Event which wasn't exclusive for any of the big name companies of gaming.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I feel like Danny's stage would have benefited the most from incorporating the theme from the actual show as part of the music. It's so iconic that I would have appreciated it, maybe in the next game we can have stuff like that. Also, he seems to suffer more than usual from both the switch to 3D and the lack of voice acting, because it's kind of difficult to translate the "feel" of Danny Phantom (the character and the show) without the neo-Hartman style of everything and Danny's impetuous teen voice lol. Maybe this is just because I've watched a LOT of Danny Phantom, but yeah. I may feel the same way about Zim now that I think about it.

I do really like his moves though. They even incorporated the Ghostly Wail. And those strong up and down airs are the first time we've seen strong airs that would have probably been specials had they been in Smash, very unique.
I definitely felt like something was missing in terms of personality, it's possible voice would've fixed that. Possibly some of the expressions were a little stiff too.

Hopefully the fun gameplay will make up for it XD

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think that was because CatDog and April were revealed in a Gaming Event which wasn't exclusive for any of the big name companies of gaming.
Sure, but they could have used the Avatar cast for that. There still was some noteworthy third-party companies involved.

Seems to me like the Avatar cast simply wasn't finished yet, so they had to show something off to entice viewers in their place.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
So, yeah, at this stage it seems likely that they'll just unceremoniously dump every Avatar trailer on YT and Twitter, with a less than 0% chance of showing up at TGS, not even for the XBox event.

Feels hilariously backwards, considering what CatDog and April got.
see the thing is Avatar is big enough to carry on their own anyways as far as reveals go. Perhaps they're cooking something up with IGN again

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
see the thing is Avatar is big enough to carry on their own anyways as far as reveals go. Perhaps they're cooking something up with IGN again

Right, I hadn't thought about it from that angle. 🤔

They could do like they did for Ren & Stimpy and warn about the hidden surprise beforehand, too.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
One thing to note about the leaked achievements is that all of them feature characters who appear in the game in some fashion, be they playable characters, moveset appearances (GIR), or stage cameos.

Because of this, this likely means Donnie and Darwin make appearances on the Wild Thornberrys stage, which is really neat! The ComVee being on the stage already hinted at cameos but now we know who exactly to at least expect lol.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
One thing to note about the leaked achievements is that all of them feature characters who appear in the game in some fashion, be they playable characters, moveset appearances (GIR), or stage cameos.

Because of this, this likely means Donnie and Darwin make appearances on the Wild Thornberrys stage, which is really neat! The ComVee being on the stage already hinted at cameos but now we know who exactly to at least expect lol.
Toph leak, so I already kinda assumed that was just the other main characters there

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Thanks for contributing to the thread! Means a lot!
I'm not even saying this out of any hate towards NASB, but it's a budget title with 20 characters while Smash Ultimate is a massive AAA game with almost 100 characters. That's just how it is. They're both crossover platform fighters with similar core appeals, but there's a big difference between them.
Personally, I plan on buying NASB, but it doesn't mean I'll drop Smash.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I heard all chars leaked damn right now i only know
Toph
In general my opinion is if something leaks to that regard just push the trailer forward!

Edit: Also the lack of villains / antagonists is ridicoulous i mean i get it female chars but you couldve replaced either Toph, oneal or sandy by some sort of antagonist and i like toph its just pretty weird having 0 villans outside of Helga? and arnold doesnt has a protagonist! that weird
Also I didn't get to address this earlier, but why are we specifically replacing the female characters to "make room" for villains? As if female characters constitute a special category with a specific quota, comparable to the "villains" category, and they're taking up each other's slots? I feel like Toph, April, Sandy, Helga, Oblina, Korra, and even Lucy are in the game because they're Nick icons, not because they're female characters filling a quota. I mean they're definitely not minor characters, Oblina and Korra are protagonists of their own shows, and there are other female Nick protagonists who didn't even get into the game, like Jenny, Ginger, and Eliza. Or well-known side characters like Sam and Gaz. I also don't feel like they directly "compete" with the villains, because many of the iconic Nick villains I can think of are female characters, like Vicky, Angelica (if she counts), Azula, Kuvira, Tak, etc.

I'm sure there will be villains in the DLC or the sequel (which is practically assured considering how much more money this will make than what was "expected"), but there shouldn't be inter-roster competition for slots where the male heroes are assured to get in and everyone else has to fight for scraps. That's why I actually kind of like that Helga got in over Arnold etc, it keeps things varied and fresh.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
There's also the fact that Japan doesn't really give a **** about Nickelodeon and most of their shows not named Spongebob or to a lesser extent, the TMNT.

I don't even think Sakurai knows about most of these cartoons, and he is in the know about most western gaming properites if his famitsu columns are to be believed.
Yeah you would think that stuff like Avatar and Korra are popular in Japan because they're pretty much the closest thing to "Western anime", but that's not even the case. Fun fact: when PlatinumGames made the Legend of Korra game, they had no idea what the show was, and they had to binge watch it using a Japanese translated script to understand it. Here's a quote from an interview: source of the interview

"Whatever the reason, it turns out that Platinum's team hadn't even heard of Legend of Korra before Activision approached them with an offer to make a game in the series. Being a western-developer anime, it has yet to be licensed in Japan, making it virtually unknown. Upon first hearing the name, producer Atsushi Kurooka jokes that he said, "Korra? What's that? Like Coca-Cola?" (...) Amusingly, the lack of a translated version meant that the translators had to go to special lengths to get Platinum a version they could watch. They ended up transcribing scripts from whole episodes and dropping them into Word documents, which the team followed as they watched."

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also I didn't get to address this earlier, but why are we specifically replacing the female characters to "make room" for villains? As if female characters constitute a special category with a specific quota, comparable to the "villains" category, and they're taking up each other's slots? I feel like Toph, April, Sandy, Helga, Oblina, Korra, and even Lucy are in the game because they're Nick icons, not because they're female characters filling a quota. I mean they're definitely not minor characters, Oblina and Korra are protagonists of their own shows, and there are other female Nick protagonists who didn't even get into the game, like Jenny, Ginger, and Eliza. Or well-known side characters like Sam and Gaz. I also don't feel like they directly "compete" with the villains, because many of the iconic Nick villains I can think of are female characters, like Vicky, Angelica (if she counts), Azula, Kuvira, Tak, etc.

I'm sure there will be villains in the DLC or the sequel (which is practically assured considering how much more money this will make than what was "expected"), but there shouldn't be inter-roster competition for slots where the male heroes are assured to get in and everyone else has to fight for scraps. That's why I actually kind of like that Helga got in over Arnold etc, it keeps things varied and fresh.
Yeah, if anything the only really big villain want for this so far is Shredder, simply because of wanting to "complete" TMNT (and the fun possibility of this being a better TMNT platform fighter than Smash-Up, which couldn't get the "not tied to any particular incarnation" aspect right). Also, there's Ember, who is both female and a villain, although that's only if Danny Phantom gets anyone else period.

Hell, there's a reason I want Kitty over Dudley, I like her as a character and I'm a cat person anyway, whether the latter gets in or not is irrelevant to me, it'd be neat but not strictly necessary.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah you would think that stuff like Avatar and Korra are popular in Japan because they're pretty much the closest thing to "Western anime", but that's not even the case. Fun fact: when PlatinumGames made the Legend of Korra game, they had no idea what the show was, and they had to binge watch it using a Japanese translated script to understand it. Here's a quote from an interview: source of the interview

"Whatever the reason, it turns out that Platinum's team hadn't even heard of Legend of Korra before Activision approached them with an offer to make a game in the series. Being a western-developer anime, it has yet to be licensed in Japan, making it virtually unknown. Upon first hearing the name, producer Atsushi Kurooka jokes that he said, "Korra? What's that? Like Coca-Cola?" (...) Amusingly, the lack of a translated version meant that the translators had to go to special lengths to get Platinum a version they could watch. They ended up transcribing scripts from whole episodes and dropping them into Word documents, which the team followed as they watched."
Honestly, My Life as a Teenage Robot being popular in Japan feels like it plays more into Japanese stereotypes then Avatar being big in Japan would haha. It is a show about a quirky robot girl...

There is at least a presence of the Avatar fandom in Japan too though. I know Mori at Arc System Works listed it as one of the pie-in-the-sky dream IPs to have included in BlazBlue Cross-Tag Battle.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

The fact that it was basically a "Western Anime" is probably the reason they didn't care much. Imagine if Japan did what was essentially a "Japanese Nickelodeon Show", it would feel unique to them, but run-of-the-mill to us.

Also look at how many western gamers criticized the "americanization" of Japanese game IPs during the 2000's/2010s.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The fact that it was basically a "Western Anime" is probably the reason they didn't care much. Imagine if Japan did what was essentially a "Japanese Nickelodeon Show", it would feel unique to them, but run-of-the-mill to us.

Also look at how many western gamers criticized the "americanization" of Japanese game IPs during the 2000's/2010s.
One funny thing is how early Westernization eventually kind of went full circle in a select few cases.

Take River City Ransom, more specifically Underground, the sequel to the Westernization of a Kunio-Kun game, which had one of its characters be included in the sequel to River City Girls, a Western-developed game tying into the otherwise unaltered Japanese IP. Crazy stuff.

Honestly, My Life as a Teenage Robot being popular in Japan feels like it plays more into Japanese stereotypes then Avatar being big in Japan would haha. It is a show about a quirky robot girl...
I can't help but think that Shredder's Revenge will do pretty well over there because of the "cuter" aesthetics, putting aside the TMNT nostalgia factor.

Last edited:

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
Avatar The Last Airbender didn't do well in Japan because I think the market is over saturated at that point. Another Fantasy shounen, despite having great animation and world building was pretty much one among many.

Korra did better though.

As for Loud House I think it will do ok because having a lot of girls in a show does help the appeal. Guys like girly shows because a lot of guys like girls so they are more likely to watch a show with a fleshed out female cast. Its how MLP FiM took off and totally spies before them.

LimeTH

Smash Lord

Isn't that sort of what Panty and Stocking was? I guess it was more a parody than anything else but still.
I think the novelty of Japan doing an American style cartoon is why PSG caught on like it did.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As for Loud House I think it will do ok because having a lot of girls in a show does help the appeal. Guys like girly shows because a lot of guys like girls so they are more likely to watch a show with a fleshed out female cast. Its how MLP FiM took off and totally spies before them.
Not to mention that the majority of the girls in LH have dorky traits that will most likely be endearing to the Japanese crowd. Leni, especially.

Isn't that sort of what Panty and Stocking was? I guess it was more a parody than anything else but still.
I think the novelty of Japan doing an American style cartoon is why PSG caught on like it did.
The difference is that, Western-ish as it was, you could still tell it was a Imaishi-era Gainax show through and through, so that kind of cred helped.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Yeah, if anything the only really big villain want for this so far is Shredder, simply because of wanting to "complete" TMNT (and the fun possibility of this being a better TMNT platform fighter than Smash-Up, which couldn't get the "not tied to any particular incarnation" aspect right). Also, there's Ember, who is both female and a villain, although that's only if Danny Phantom gets anyone else period.

Hell, there's a reason I want Kitty over Dudley, I like her as a character and I'm a cat person anyway, whether the latter gets in or not is irrelevant to me, it'd be neat but not strictly necessary.
Yeah Shredder and Ember would both be good, altho I feel like both Vlad and Skulker usually get prioritized over her. There's also Spectra but we're getting pretty deep into the rogues gallery at that point.

I also forgot several other female protags or major characters like June, Reggie, Wanda, and Kitty like you mentioned. And ofc there are the other Loud sisters. For villains, besides the ones I mentioned, the other major ones are Plankton (probably with Karen incorporated somehow), Mr. Crocker, Professor Calamitous (or the Patrick Stewart egg guy from the movie), Zuko and the Fire Lord, the other Avatar villains, the other TMNT villains like Krang, and also Vexus.

I have hope for some of these characters in the future but some are sadly probably too obscure, so if they get added it would be a long time into the future. I don't know if I have any hope for Kablam anything, I'll just sit quietly in my Kablam cave until the day comes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, did anyone check if the YT video backlog on Game Mill's channel changed?

Yeah Shredder and Ember would both be good, altho I feel like both Vlad and Skulker usually get prioritized over her. There's also Spectra but we're getting pretty deep into the rogues gallery at that point.

I also forgot several other female protags or major characters like June, Reggie, Wanda, and Kitty like you mentioned. And ofc there are the other Loud sisters. For villains, besides the ones I mentioned, the other major ones are Plankton (probably with Karen incorporated somehow), Mr. Crocker, Professor Calamitous (or the Patrick Stewart egg guy from the movie), Zuko and the Fire Lord, the other Avatar villains, the other TMNT villains like Krang, and also Vexus.

I have hope for some of these characters in the future but some are sadly probably too obscure, so if they get added it would be a long time into the future. I don't know if I have any hope for Kablam anything, I'll just sit quietly in my Kablam cave until the day comes.
To be fair, most of the big series have already been included, so there aren't too many obvious options for DLC without having to dig for it or padding out the series that are already there. Especially considering that it's Ludosity and Game Mill that are picking the characters.

Although I still think we'll simply get a handful of DLC villains (if not just Shredder), so I'm fine with this outcome for them for now. I'm mostly concerned about protagonists and major characters anyway.

Last edited:

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
Can I just... post this message someone put on the other boards relating to NickBrawl? It's so good and it's one of the best user comments I've seen related to this game.

"I know why it doesn't have more style: money.

Money.

Money.

Money.

I hope this doesn't surprise you but EVERYONE knows this game could be a little better. There could be voice acting, the graphics could be a tiny bit better, the box art could be a little better, the sounds effects could be a little better...

But we don't care. We're here because:

1. Nickelodeon characters.
  2. Solid gameplay.
  3. Rollback netcode.
I don't know if you realize this but if this game isn't successful, this may be the ONLY big IP platform fighter made by competent developers for a very, very long time. We are voting with our wallets and we're telling other IP owners and developers we want games like this.

I'm sure you have game ideas or TV show ideas or movie ideas that are grand and awesome but I also know you don't have millions of dollars lying around. Don't you think the devs would put tremendous amounts of "soul" into this game if they could afford it? You don't think they would add voice acting if they could?"

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Some look really hard, especially the online one unless you beat a really salty player on his first life and he rage quits.

Smash speculation wishes it had as many leaks as this game.

The DLC is gonna get leaked too, isn't it?
Most likely but who knows? Maybe they have learnt a couple of lessons from the leaked stuff. Maybe.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So I'm curious:

Now that we've gotten showcases for half of the starting roster, has anyone's potential mains changed? Or have their decisions to main a certain character solidified even more?

Because for me, after watching his showcase, I am now even more determined to do my damnedest to main my boy Danny!

FreeFox

Smash Lord
So I'm curious:

Now that we've gotten showcases for half of the starting roster, has anyone's potential mains changed? Or have their decisions to main a certain character solidified even more?

Because for me, after watching his showcase, I am now even more determined to do my damnedest to main my boy Danny!
So far so good. I want my mains to vary a lot in gameplay so the 3 showcased choices have been great. (mains: Reptar/Danny/Ren&Stimpy/Catdog). I just need a different style for Reptar. which I think its quite likely.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
So I'm curious:

Helga and Ren and Stimpy are now on my radar when they weren't before.

This might be because all of the characters I was thinking about maining either because of who they are or what I assume their playstyle will be haven't been shown off yet.

Still waiting on Nigel, Zim, Reptar, Oblina and now, because of leaks, Toph.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
So I'm curious:

My mains are gonna be Lincoln, Nigel, Catdog and Reptar.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
So I'm curious:

I'm still pretty set on maining CatDog going into release, although these showcases have gotten me to consider playing Danny, Helga, and Mikey more than I had before. I'm also open to maining any of SpongeBob, Ren & Stimpy, or Powdered Toast Man depending on who I like playing the most.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So I'm curious:

Ren & Stimpy got the team gameplay I've wanted so much and Leo is distinct enough from Mikey, so they're on my list now. The fact that PTM is looking more and more like :falcon64: cranked up to 11 just makes me want to see his showcase all the more.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Just saw the Danny showcase. Danny is the one character I always forgot was in the game but now he's seriously on my radar, he looks like a blast to play.
Ghost Zone's theme is by far the absolute best song in the game (that we know of). The other tracks are passable or even decent (except for Glove World), but this is the first truly EXCELLENT song. The only one that comes close right now is Space Madness's theme

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
I really like Danny's moveset but there are only 2 nitpicks I'd make. The Fenton Thermos is treated as a regular attack that pushes characters away. I personally would've given it the ability to draw players in like Helga's slingshot or be his grabbing animation. Also it kind of bugs me that the Ghostly Wail doesn't really have a sound when used. I'm not one of the people who's bothered by the lack of voice acting but I think at least some roar sound effect with an echo could've worked

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
DLC characters Pass no.1 SPOILER (Might be Fake, but it can Be Real by accident)

• Jimmy Neutron (Stage: Jimmys House)
  • Jenny Wakeman (Stage: Her Lab)
  • Timmy Turner (Stage: Fairly Oddparents Stage)
  • Miko Kubota (Stage: Arcade)
  • Shredder (Stage: Shredder's Hideout)
  • Squidward (Stage: Krusty Krab)
Given how everything short of the game's credits has been leaked, it wouldn't shock me, honestly. All the cooler if true, though.

Top Bottom