• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

amageish

Smash Master
We should also consider the devs, as we saw from prior screenshots from their discord, that they have 'legal stages', stages they considered to be the 'competitive' stages. We'll have to see what that list constitutes before we use too much brainpower on a game yet to be released, trying to decide 'legality' from brief glimpses of the stages from these reveals.

They've said themselves the game is designed to be competitive. Surely the stages they have in mind for 'legal stages' would be chosen and designed accordingly.
Yeah, the four Smash-clone stages in the base game are Invader Zim's stage (which is Battlefield), SpongeBob's stage (which is Smashville), April's stage (which is also Smashville, but the platform doesn't move), and Korra's stage (which is Final Destination). One of the two free characters post-launch will have a stage with its layout taken from Pokemon Stadium.

There will also be an online mode that limits the stages just to these four (and later five). I imagine DLC may add more intentionally-legal stages?

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
We should also consider the devs, as we saw from prior screenshots from their discord, that they have 'legal stages', stages they considered to be the 'competitive' stages. We'll have to see what that list constitutes before we use too much brainpower on a game yet to be released, trying to decide 'legality' from brief glimpses of the stages from these reveals.

They've said themselves the game is designed to be competitive. Surely the stages they have in mind for 'legal stages' would be chosen and designed accordingly.
Oh that reminds me

The Frozen Pokémon Stadium inspired stage won’t be in the game at launch, meaning that the character it is tied to will be one of the two planned for launch characters that will be available after launch

Rep has claimed we won’t be ready for frozen stadium and replied yes when someone asked if we’d think it’s exciting

What’s also important to keep in mind is that Rep has made it clear that all the Smash Bros inspired legal stages will all be different series. So frozen stadium isn’t a Spongebob, Avatar/Korra, TMNT or Zim character.

Oblina is implied to be the sole Real Monsters rep so it’s probably not a Real Monsters rep

I don’t see why it’d be another Wild Thornberrys character

Rep said that we would be excited to a Discord that is split on wanting another Loud House rep so I doubt it’s another one of them

I don’t think there’s any more highly requested viable options from Ren & Stimpy or CatDog

So I think that leaves Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Danny Phantom or a yet to be represented show as the frozen stadium series

Thoughts?

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Oh that reminds me

The Frozen Pokémon Stadium inspired stage won’t be in the game at launch, meaning that the character it is tied to will be one of the two planned for launch characters that will be available after launch

Rep has claimed we won’t be ready for frozen stadium and replied yes when someone asked if we’d think it’s exciting

What’s also important to keep in mind is that Rep has made it clear that all the Smash Bros inspired legal stages will all be different series. So frozen stadium isn’t a Spongebob, Avatar/Korra, TMNT or Zim character.

Oblina is implied to be the sole Real Monsters rep so it’s probably not a Real Monsters rep

Rep said that we would be excited to a Discord that is split on wanting another Loud House rep so I doubt it’s another one of them

I don’t think there’s any more highly requested viable options from Ren & Stimpy or CatDog

So I think that leaves Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Danny Phantom or a yet to be represented show as the frozen stadium series

Thoughts?
My guess is a new series. It seems more likely to me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What's the point of overthinking legality anyway? Surely most would default to one stock, Powdered Toast Man only, Jellyfish Fields.

My guess is a new series. It seems more likely to me.
Yeah, they wouldn't double/triple/quadruple-dip on series until sometime after the two post-launch bonus characters are established. The question is, what character whose unrepped series would logically inspire that frozen Pokémon Stadium stage?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I hope you don't think competitive rules actually restrict you to using only the highest-tier character.
I'm just trying to find the closest equivalent to a certain meme. :foxmelee:

But really though, the competitive scene ought to be fine with the stages that don't actively try to kill you in this. Some seem like Battlefield-tier.

Only sore point is that hazards can't be turned off, but with the game's budget...

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Oh that reminds me

Thoughts?
I wouldn't expect Rugrats or Hey Arnold to get a character for DLC period, considering there aren't a lot of notable characters from either that people are asking for. Danny Phantom's a BIG maybe on that front since people at least talk about other characters from that, but even then, I reckon it's pretty far down the list next to series like TMNT and SpongeBob when we're talking already repped series. I think this Pokemon Stadium clone's much more likely to be from an unrepresented series, but since they could feasibly make a PS layout out of any series if they wanted to (it's literally just a main stage and two floating platforms), I don't think it's worth trying to puzzle it out from the literal dozens of possibilities. It could be the damn Kitchen Table from Garfield, for all we know.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I wouldn't expect Rugrats or Hey Arnold to get a character for DLC period, considering there aren't a lot of notable characters from either that people are asking for. Danny Phantom's a BIG maybe on that front since people at least talk about other characters from that, but even then, I reckon it's pretty far down the list next to series like TMNT and SpongeBob when we're talking already repped series. I think this Pokemon Stadium clone's much more likely to be from an unrepresented series, but since they could feasibly make a PS layout out of any series if they wanted to (it's literally just a main stage and two floating platforms), I don't think it's worth trying to puzzle it out from the literal dozens of possibilities. It could be the damn Kitchen Table from Garfield, for all we know.
Would it mean that the floating platforms on the stage are a pair of lasagna trays?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Perhaps it's Jimmy Nutrin? Being part of the "holy 4" (god, I hate that term) and having seemingly no copyright issues it'd make sense for his exclusion to be because of a delay to post-launch and Rep to hype him up. (Same could apply to Rocko, but people aren't as enthusiastic about Rocko from what I've seen, just kinda playing along with him as part of the "holy 4" - which is exactly why I dislike "the big most wanted team!!" terms in crossover games but I digress)

Jimmy just can't escape those agressive pizzas...

80F484E2-75FA-4775-86E9-9263DA96CB69.jpeg

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Oh that reminds me

Thoughts?
Wait, what frozen Pokemon Stadium stage? Did I miss something

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We won't get anything for Rugrats, it'll be All Grown Up instead. :4pacman:

But seriously though, I can't help but feel like the Rugrats representation is odd on purpose. Reptar is one thing, but Teeter-Totter Gulch with just Grandpa Lou as a stage cameo? If they didn't want to use the babies in any capacity, you'd think they'd at least put in the lead ones in the background. They aren't even in the achievements. Granted, I don't expect to see any Rugrats-related stuff until after the two bonus characters at best.

On a related note, I've had a thought; what if Reptar and Nigel got their showcases on one day, in acknowledgement to the crossover between their series?

Perhaps it's Jimmy Nutrin? Being part of the "holy 4" (god, I hate that term) and having seemingly no copyright issues it'd make sense for his exclusion to be because of a delay to post-launch and Rep to hype him up. (Same could apply to Rocko, but people aren't as enthusiastic about Rocko from what I've seen, just kinda playing along with him as part of the "holy 4" - which is exactly why I dislike "the big most wanted team!!" terms in crossover games but I digress)

Jimmy just can't escape those agressive pizzas...

View attachment 331641
I thought "holy 4" was a reference to the most overpowered characters in a fighting roster, like Storm, Magneto, Cable and Sentinel in MvC2.

At any rate, once the big wants get in, it'll be irrelevant at that point, since people would notice the underdogs faster.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
We won't get anything for Rugrats, it'll be All Grown Up instead. :4pacman:

But seriously though, I can't help but feel like the Rugrats representation is odd on purpose. Reptar is one thing, but Teeter-Totter Gulch with just Grandpa Lou as a stage cameo? If they didn't want to use the babies in any capacity, you'd think they'd at least put in the lead ones in the background. They aren't even in the achievements. Granted, I don't expect to see any Rugrats-related stuff until after the two bonus characters at best.

On a related note, I've had a thought; what if Reptar and Nigel got their showcases on one day, in acknowledgement to the crossover between their series?

I thought "holy 4" was a reference to the most overpowered characters in a fighting roster, like Storm, Magneto, Cable and Sentinel in MvC2.

At any rate, once the big wants get in, it'll be irrelevant at that point, since people would notice the underdogs faster.
If I remember, the holy four are:
  • Jenny
  • Timmy
  • Jimmy
  • Rocko

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

The "Holy 4" is basically the Nick Brawl equivalent of the whole "K. Rool, Ridley, Geno, and Banjo" thing, but instead it's Jenny, Timmy, Jimmy, and Rocko - it's mostly said on the r/AllStarBrawl subreddit but I unfortunately see it quite a bit elsewhere. I wince just thinking about it.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
The "Holy 4" is basically the Nick Brawl equivalent of the whole "K. Rool, Ridley, Geno, and Banjo" thing, but instead it's Jenny, Timmy, Jimmy, and Rocko - it's mostly said on the r/AllStarBrawl subreddit but I unfortunately see it quite a bit elsewhere. I wince just thinking about it.
So do you not like it because it's bringing Smash speculation terms into a game that's trying to distance itself from Smash?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
So do you not like it because it's bringing Smash speculation terms into a game that's trying to distance itself from Smash?
It's because it strikes me as very gatekeep-y. If, for example, you like Jenny but not Rocko it's harder to express your support for one character and disdain for the other because you're pressured to like Rocko on virtue of being a Jenny fan, same goes vice versa.

I was pro-K. Rool but anti-Ridley pre-Ultimate and the reptilian villain peace pact so to speak was really bothersome for me because I wasn't able to express disdain for Ridley when he was brought up in K. Rool communities. I've changed my tune on the cold-blooded psycho now and think he's a great addition, but I still should've been allowed to openly object at the time rather than grunting in silence and being condemned as a "hype killer".

It also puts an unreasonable expectation on devs to add all 4 lest they "not complete the holy 4" - you can see this today with people being either distraught Geno didn't get in wheras BK, KKR and Ridley did to the point of seeing the game as incomplete, or being convinced he's a lock even after a very hard disconfirm because of those 3 barely related characters.

Last edited:
I mean, those 4 are 100% glaring omissions with how popular each of the 4 are and how much they appeared in stuff beforehand. It's not like a lot of the pacts in Smash where the characters struggled to have a significant appearance before. Rocko's still around and pushed by Nick, Jimmy and Timmy are some of the biggest chars in Nick history, and Jenny is fairly significant in her own right.

I don't believe wanting them is too much to ask for in a game like this.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, I'm getting bored of the base roster coverage myself and want to see the DLC officially revealed ASAP following the game's launch.

But really though, I don't think the trend of the "big 4" will hold up for long since 1) this game covers the specific niche of a cartoon lineup from a single company and 2) there aren't very many "big" IPs left to cover in this case. It only feels like it's dragging on forever because the game hasn't launched yet and we're nowhere near knowing who the DLC characters are, even the supposedly leaked bonus ones, or how the DLC structure will even go.

These weekends of no info aren't helping.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, a part of me would enjoy seeing obscure characters get in sooner than the four you mention. It would actually be very fun to see the reactions in this case.
Even as someone who'd rather have someone way more obscure than Master Chief be CP11, I still understand that you gotta have pass sellers (IE Jimmy and Timmy) before you dive into that. This game's roster isn't something that skips Spongebob because he's "safe" and "boring", now is it?

If they can, they should 100% work through the rights issues to include them in DLC at least. Timmy and Jimmy specifically, it kinda would feel like a tone deaf decision to not include them if given the opportunity. Easy way to get money and are no-brainers in the best kind of way. No real reason to skip over them.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, the day's barely half over and the conversation already went downhill. Monday can't get here sooner.

Even as someone who'd rather have someone way more obscure than Master Chief be CP11, I still understand that you gotta have pass sellers (IE Jimmy and Timmy) before you dive into that. This game's roster isn't something that skips Spongebob because he's "safe" and "boring", now is it?
Yes, but as I said, there aren't many big Nick IPs left for them to cover. You have Garfield, Jimmy, Timmy, maybe Rocko and that's basically it, so they'll obviously have no choice but to cover them unless Ludosity and Game Mill are being nuts with their bias. I was just joking about a hypothetical scenario. 😜

But seriously though, this entire topic reeks of "You're worrying for nothing!". It's not like they're about to randomly toss in guests on the first chance they have to make a fighting game, or something like that.

If they can, they should 100% work through the rights issues to include them in DLC at least. Timmy and Jimmy specifically, it kinda would feel like a tone deaf decision to not include them if given the opportunity. Easy way to get money and are no-brainers in the best kind of way. No real reason to skip over them.
And toss in TUFF Puppy stuff while they're at it, if they have to clean up Hartman stuff. Maybe Bunsen Is A Beast, but that's an even further shot.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
It's because it strikes me as very gatekeep-y. If, for example, you like Jenny but not Rocko it's harder to express your support for one character and disdain for the other because you're pressured to like Rocko on virtue of being a Jenny fan, same goes vice versa.

I was pro-K. Rool but anti-Ridley pre-Ultimate and the reptilian villain peace pact so to speak was really bothersome for me because I wasn't able to express disdain for Ridley when he was brought up in K. Rool communities. I've changed my tune on the cold-blooded psycho now and think he's a great addition, but I still should've been allowed to openly object at the time rather than grunting in silence and being condemned as a "hype killer".

It also puts an unreasonable expectation on devs to add all 4 lest they "not complete the holy 4" - you can see this today with people being either distraught Geno didn't get in wheras BK, KKR and Ridley did to the point of seeing the game as incomplete, or being convinced he's a lock even after a very hard disconfirm because of those 3 barely related characters.
Makes sense.
One big difference between this game's 4 and the other's is that Nick's is just 4 popular characters that aren't in the game yet, whereas Smash's was 4 unlikely characters that people would **** on you for even entertaining the idea that they could be playable.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Makes sense.
One big difference between this game's 4 and the other's is that Nick's is just 4 popular characters that aren't in the game yet, whereas Smash's was 4 unlikely characters that people would **** on you for even entertaining the idea that they could be playable.
Instead, we have everything but Jenny, Timmy, Jimmy and Rocko (plus Garfield) being treated as expendable and not likely by detractors, as if Ludosity and Game Mill wouldn't do their damnedest to make this the most varied roster possible for a while and avoid the supposed "predictable roster with no DLC".
You can probably tell I'm a bit bitter about this. :dk:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Instead, we have everything but Jenny, Timmy, Jimmy and Rocko (plus Garfield) being treated as expendable and not likely by detractors, as if Ludosity and Game Mill wouldn't do their damnedest to make this the most varied roster possible for a while and avoid the supposed "predictable roster with no DLC".
You can probably tell I'm a bit bitter about this. :dk:
Yeah, it's basically the opposite situation.

For a bit I was thinking "Why can't we just enjoy talking about the funny Nick game?"
Then I remembered that if something exists and people are discussing it on the internet then you're not allowed to have fun.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
To be fair, we have better reasons for avoiding everything that aired after Nick changed their logo than we have reasons for avoiding Nintendo characters in a Nintendo game. Namely, it's that Nick DOESN'T want new shows to have a fair chance, just poorly market them, wonder why they aren't doing as well as Spongebob, and then burn off their remaining episodes on Nicktoons Network. Or in Glitch Techs' case, don't even bother dedicating timeslots to the show, just send it to Netflix.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, we have better reasons for avoiding everything that aired after Nick changed their logo than we have reasons for avoiding Nintendo characters in a Nintendo game. Namely, it's that Nick DOESN'T want new shows to have a fair chance, just poorly market them, wonder why they aren't doing as well as Spongebob, and then burn off their remaining episodes on Nicktoons Network. Or in Glitch Techs' case, don't even bother dedicating timeslots to the show, just send it to Netflix.
In that case, it would have been fun to see how Nick's bigwigs would react as soon as the devs run out of big-name characters and focus more on lesser names.

After all, I don't think they realise the implications that multiple-season DLC will/would have in this particular case...😈

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Oh that reminds me

Thoughts?
My gut says Rocko. Since he was in Gamemills Kart Racer and he is one of the most popular characters, I feel like he is the one that is coming post launch with PS2. The devs know what people want, and given the fact we know Gamemill has a soft spot for him from the kart racer it seems like he makes the most sense, but that is just me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My gut says Rocko. Since he was in Gamemills Kart Racer and he is one of the most popular characters, I feel like he is the one that is coming post launch with PS2. The devs know what people want, and given the fact we know Gamemill has a soft spot for him from the kart racer it seems like he makes the most sense, but that is just me.
Would the Chokey Chicken work best as a stage that fits the decription?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Heck would probably work best as Rocko's stage. It'd also thematically make a bit of sense as a competitive stage being a dangerous environment.
That would just be plain hilarious for me. We already joked about moral guardians sperging over the Devil World content in Smash, and then this game would just straight up have you fight in the other place. I'll be almost disappointed if this dosen't happen.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That would just be plain hilarious for me. We already joked about moral guardians sperging over the Devil World content in Smash, and then this game would just straight up have you fight in the other place. I'll be almost disappointed if this dosen't happen.
You'd think we'd already have complaints about how hellish the bottom level of Castle Siege looks. It's even used as a stand-in for Hell by at least one spirit battle! That being one where you fight the Devil, appropriately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom