• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

7NATOR

Smash Master
Smash Bros is probably the best video game crossover of all time, but it has competition - Fortnite is hot on it's trail. That got me wondering - what FN characters are likely to be in the next Smash game? I'm only looking at the Gaming Legends series, because I have a hunch they won't add Ariana Grande or Han Solo anytime soon. Jonesy is there to represent the idea of Fortnite itself being added. Tiers are mostly ordered, with the exeption of Jonesy (he would be before Raiden) and Alan Wake (he would probably be before generic goat)
View attachment 388340
I think Master Chief is 100% going to be in the next Smash, for me it's just whether as Base Roster (Somehow) or DLC. I actually do think they can get Master Chief in the Base Roster and having Chief on the Boxart of the Next Smash would be awesome, but it would be very hard

I think Resident Evil and League of Legends will get fighters on the playable roster too. the thing is it might not be the characters that are listed here

Chun-Li is a Popular and Iconic character, and I think in Fortnite itself she was way more popular than Ryu. In the actual Street Fighter series she's usually not a high usage character like many of the shotos are, and that can be attributed to her Difficulty in use and Charge inputs being complicated in gameplay Which given they were made to be easier to do Special moves, kind of has the opposite effect in some areas

I think there's no point in putting in Chun-Li from a Gameplay standpoint if she's not based on Charge inputs like in the Street Fighter games, and I would like to see how Smash approaches a Character built and balanced around Charge inputs in the gameplay (and not just one move like Terry), because I think Smash can make it so even Casuals can love charge inputs again, so if they can make that, which I think they can, then Chun should be in.

For Fortnite itself, It's popularity almost seems to big to ignore, though with Nintendo seeming to turn down its characters appearing in the game likely due to the possiblity of the characters showing up on other Consoles, that might make the chances of Fortnite, at least being in the base game, not as likely

I think Geralt is actually possible, as Witcher is more known for the games than anything else. I don't know if he's getting in though

Louie G.

Smash Hero
be honest, I think that Conker wouldn't have had much of a chance even if Rare had stayed with Nintendo.
I’m inclined to agree to an extent, but perhaps the fan demand would have gotten strong enough where he warranted some acknowledgment around Ultimate. Who’s to say how they would have handled it, his moveset in Smash Remix is pretty fun and seems to avoid being too crude.

Beyond that, I’d suspect Killer Instinct and maybe Perfect Dark would be stronger candidates for inclusion before Conker is seriously considered. Assuming these series still saw later installments under Nintendo as they did under Microsoft.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
For Fortnite itself, It's popularity almost seems to big to ignore, though with Nintendo seeming to turn down its characters appearing in the game likely due to the possiblity of the characters showing up on other Consoles, that might make the chances of Fortnite, at least being in the base game, not as likely
That’s actually why Nintendo has never come to Fortnite according to an interview with former employee Donald Mustard that took place today.

Also, I do think Fortnite is inevitable for Smash at some point.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Cadet
I think if Rare stayed with Nintendo then Conker would remain as a well-remembered classic and that would probably be enough for him to have notable fan demand, though obviously that's getting into so many hypotheticals there's not much you can say. Still, beyond him for Rare I imagine Joanna Dark would be next in-line even beyond the "gets Goldeneye in without actually doing James Bond" angle. Perfect Dark sold really well, it's the next best selling Rare game on the N64, received critical acclaim, and was already featured in Smash in some way. She probably wouldn't have gotten into Melee, but I could see her making it into Brawl if the Perfect Dark franchise continued.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Literally not how it works.

The games being more popular doesn't magically change that The Witcher is a licensed novel IP.
"Witcher is more known for the games" might not even be the case in some European countries anyway. Like the one where the games are made.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think Master Chief is 100% going to be in the next Smash, for me it's just whether as Base Roster (Somehow) or DLC. I actually do think they can get Master Chief in the Base Roster and having Chief on the Boxart of the Next Smash would be awesome, but it would be very hard.
I think we're 100% getting one of Master Chief or Doom Guy, but adding one basically disconfirms the other. They're so visually similar that adding them in close proximity to eachother might cause confusion. I chose Doomguy as the slightly more likely choice, but I'm not at all sold on that.
I think Resident Evil and League of Legends will get fighters on the playable roster too. the thing is it might not be the characters that are listed here
I don't know. Other than Wesker, I think all of the likely RE reps are already in Fortnite. I even ranked Claire lower than the other 3, because unless it's a Hero situation I can't see her being the rep. As for League, I think Arcane gives those two a boost. But I'm not a league player (thank god), so I know basically nothing about the series.
I think Geralt is actually possible, as Witcher is more known for the games than anything else. I don't know if he's getting in though
In an ideal world, Geralt would 100% be eligible. He's the main character of one of the most popular games of all time! But Sakurai's established the rules, and I can't see them bending anytime soon.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Cadet
I don't know. Other than Wesker, I think all of the likely RE reps are already in Fortnite. I even ranked Claire lower than the other 3, because unless it's a Hero situation I can't see her being the rep. As for League, I think Arcane gives those two a boost. But I'm not a league player (thank god), so I know basically nothing about the series.
Jinx and Vi were both very popular characters in League even prior to Arcane, Jinx in particular is basically the mascot of Wild Rift, the game's mobile version. They're not the most popular characters overall though, there's a fair few characters who tend to rank higher in popularity, which is notable cause League is such a massively played game and is bigger than Arcane itself is. I'd say the two most popular characters overall would probably be Yasuo, who's a samurai guy, and Ahri, who's a kumiho chick. They consistently top polls both in terms of general popularity and in terms of being played, get tons and tons of promotion, and appear in loads of spin-offs. League has enough popular characters that I think there's a lot of options to choose from that would make sense though. I think Jinx would make decent sense as the pick for Smash, Vi probably less so. On that roster I posted a while ago I chose Riven.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
In a hypothetical 'dialogue box' story mode this is who, on Ultimate's roster, I'd feel should or shouldn't talk. Small talk for characters who'd talk shorter, less frequent or get straight to the point. What do you guys think?
View attachment 388322
Can’t wait for link to talk like crazy in the Zelda movie.

Honestly Mario talking doesn’t feel weird at all anymore, let the man speak.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I always wondered how casuals/non-Pokemon fans would respond to really out there choices getting into Smash. Like what would be the mindset of people seeing Rotom battling the Nintendo characters they do know?

"Is Mario fighting a washing machine?"

"Oh no, you see that's a Pokémon."

"...That just raises further questions."

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I always wondered how casuals/non-Pokemon fans would respond to really out there choices getting into Smash. Like what would be the mindset of people seeing Rotom battling the Nintendo characters they do know?

"Is Mario fighting a washing machine?"

"Oh no, you see that's a Pokémon."

"...That just raises further questions."
This already happened with Ice Climbers. And Game and Watch. And ROB. And

Last edited:

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
This already happened with Ice Climbers. And Game and Watch. And ROB. And
I distinctly remember playing Brawl for the first time as an 8 year old and thinking it was a fighting game with a bunch of original characters that just happened to also have Mario, Pikachu, and Donkey Kong in it.

Like, I had no idea who :snake::wolf::popo::olimar::ike::rob::fox::lucas::gw::pit::samus2::falco::marth::ness2: were. Playing Subspace made it more confusing because it seemed like the characters already had established dynamics with each other.

That's probably a similar experience for a lot of people who grew up with a smash game. It was only after learning by playing the game on my own more and reading trophy descriptions that I realized these were all characters from their own video game series.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Fortnite is one of those IP's where them getting in or not getting in would feel completely expected. It's a big enough franchise that its inclusion would make sense, but not necessarily one with the kind of wholly unique mechanics that make the likes of Jonesey as a fighter an inevitability.
and then the fandom will split in half like with steve

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
actually I meant skull kid not demise
I admit I kind of lost the point you were trying to make now. XD

But to be fair, he is minor outside of one game, and it doesn't help that it's from another dimension, as that particular Skull Kid doesn't show up in the normal games after MM. It's possible he's in Twilight Princess, in theory, but we don't know for sure(also, due to how the timeline works, it might be the same person, but he didn't experience the MM stuff, as TP is not from the same timeline either). And even then, just like OOT, he's blatantly a minor character.

The timeline really screwed with some stuff, didn't it?

The only reason we might not get both Master Chief and Doomguy/Slayer is that we're not getting every third party under the sun. They're completely different characters and at worst, it'd just be easier to make one since their similarities means a base(bodyshape-wise) is available. This is a good thing instead. It is possible one might out prioritize the other, or that Microsoft doesn't want to give everything possible either. But while the former makes sense, the latter doesn't really have any actual evidence to suggest "no, they're only getting so many reps simply because Microsoft owns them" anyway. It's a silly point these days. Even if before you could barely justify it by being owned by different parts of a company(note that MegaMan and Ryu were not owned by literally the same branch, as the licensing actually was from different companies by design. It's solely only relevant for developers anyway, not for who we can actually get in), the second Ken showed up, you damn well know it doesn't matter. The only real thing about "one per company" is a personal preference for a fan, which is not a big deal, but has no real meaning when it comes to how Smash actually operates. Nor should it, because it's even more arbitrary than how Echoes are defined.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I admit I kind of lost the point you were trying to make now. XD

But to be fair, he is minor outside of one game, and it doesn't help that it's from another dimension, as that particular Skull Kid doesn't show up in the normal games after MM. It's possible he's in Twilight Princess, in theory, but we don't know for sure(also, due to how the timeline works, it might be the same person, but he didn't experience the MM stuff, as TP is not from the same timeline either). And even then, just like OOT, he's blatantly a minor character.

The timeline really screwed with some stuff, didn't it?
I can’t remember either tbh

As it happens MM and TP are in the same branch of the timeline. So it would be the skull kid who had the mask if it is him. And I’m fairly certain that hasn’t been retconned yet

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can’t remember either tbh

As it happens MM and TP are in the same branch of the timeline. So it would be the skull kid who had the mask if it is him. And I’m fairly certain that hasn’t been retconned yet
Ah, thank you. I couldn't remember where MM fit. Yeah, so he has 3 games under his belt, but only one major role.

I'm still glad he got in HW, though. And his appearances in Smash as an NPC have all been really cool. While Tingle is my de facto MM want, Skull Kid is no slouch. Albeit, my main wants are Ganon(ALTTP), Tingle, and Impa(Oracle version), and to be frank, only ALTTP Ganon seems plausible among those specific 3(it does help he has yet to make an appearance in Smash, so at least he would be an actual surprise due to a very odd lack of usage).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ah, thank you. I couldn't remember where MM fit. Yeah, so he has 3 games under his belt, but only one major role.

I'm still glad he got in HW, though. And his appearances in Smash as an NPC have all been really cool. While Tingle is my de facto MM want, Skull Kid is no slouch. Albeit, my main wants are Ganon(ALTTP), Tingle, and Impa(Oracle version), and to be frank, only ALTTP Ganon seems plausible among those specific 3(it does help he has yet to make an appearance in Smash, so at least he would be an actual surprise due to a very odd lack of usage).
yes it was great to see him included in these things. I just wish he wouldn’t turn the stage upside down

Should have been Max Brass.

No one can be mad at Max Brass.
that is literally part of dr coyle’s backstory

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
The "being more popular for the games" argument is just a stupid excuse.

This, the Android 21 Situation and the Lightning McQueen Situation are completely wrong.

If the Batman Arkham series had an original character made exclusively for the games doesn't mean it has a chance for Smash, even it they have it's fans.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Skull Kid could definitely get in if the demand is high enough.

His popularity remains after all these years, and the fact that he became playable in Hyrule Warriors lends credence to that. As for Smash itself, he's still gotten to at least show up as at least an Assist Trophy and as a costume in the latest games.

I'm fairly certain it would take another ballot or poll and a lot of votes for him in order for it to actually happen, though.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

This, the Android 21 Situation and the Lightning McQueen Situation are completely wrong.

If the Batman Arkham series had an original character made exclusively for the games doesn't mean it has a chance for Smash, even it they have it's fans.
shh you’ll give them ideas

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace

Isn't one of your reoccurring subjects about "4th party characters" and coming up with loopholes for them....?

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Bit late to respond to this, but one thing that needs to be noted about Fire Emblem sales numbers:

The main reason Fates sold more than Awakening and ended as the second best-selling game in the series is because its numbers are effectively inflated. Nintendo counted every single version of the game (The physical versions of Birthright, Conquest and the Collectors' Edition, as well as the Digital versions of Birthright, Conquest and Revelation) to be a separate sale. This means that if someone bought Birthright on physical and later bought the other two routes on digital, that person alone contributed with three sales of Fates rather than one.

There's a reason Awakening gets discussed more and is more popular than Fates. Fates may have had the highest raw sales numbers, but a lot more people actually played Awakening.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
They're only visually similar in the most broad and reductive sense of the term.
They're both muscular men in green power armour (that leaves the face unexposed), from a sci-fi setting, who primarily fight via guns. I'm not going to pretend they're identical, they obviously aren't. Hell, if they use classic Doom Guy as the main costume I'd have no complaints, he's plenty different from Chief.
1713829379809.png

I'm just saying that Master Chief and Modern Doom Slayer are similar enough to where I think someone along the chain of command might have pause adding both at around the same time.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Not going to lie, for quite some time I've wanted Sakurai to pull a troll move and add Yuyuki's Goku in Smash as a direct response to the other Goku constantly being asked about.

Would be hilarious as ****.
I've said it before.
How about we put....This Goku in Smash!

Than we make Nintendo's Goku an Echo Fighter of Goku!

Then make Goku III an Alternate Costume for Goku!

So we get Three Gokus in Smash Bros!

Last edited:
Top Bottom