• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To stop talking about cuts for one goddamn second, who's one of the more sleeper pick newcomer choices, in your opinion? For me, it's Athena Asamiya.
We honestly don't really talk about cuts all that much here, and I thought our previous conversation was a pretty good one. But in any case, the biggest sleeper pick right now is an additional Splatoon newcomer that isn't Octoling. Be that the Squid Sisters, Off the Hook, DJ Octavio... personally I'm torn between the latter two right now, both have a lot of untapped potential.

On one hand, I feel like Off the Hook could operate as sort of a blend of Ice Climbers and Pyra / Mythra. Let you control who takes the lead for normals, while the other provides specials for assistive backup (ie NASB Angry Beavers, I feel like I keep citing this idea because I really love it). With a few moves that incorporate them both, but in essence you're in control of the one. This is kind of how I imagine Diddy and Dixie could have worked out. This could operate for either of the idol duos, although Pearl and Marina just have more dynamic personalities and designs to play with IMO, they read much clearer as "offense and defense". Pearl is obviously the more rough and tumble physical fighter, she'll swing around her microphone and scream in your face, and then Marina is the more defensive and calculated character with some zoning capability utilizing her turntables.

Meanwhile, Octavio could go a number of ways. You could have him docked into some sort of mech, a smaller version of his Octobot King or some variant on the little machines that Octarians ride around. See: MODOK in MVC3. Or he can just squirm around freeform like an octopus, like Shuma Gorath. I'm kinda preferring the latter lately, it would just be a really interesting type of character to see a moveset crafted around. Both he and the idol duos would be music oriented characters, something that particularly excites me, and they could handle that a dozen different ways if they wanted. In this case, and likely Marina's as well, you'd probably be dealing with record scratches and vinyl discs, soundwave attacks and so forth. In addition to extra fun playing with his unique design and utilizing his eight legs and suction cups.

Bottom line is there's a lot of great potential here, and I think they may go for at least one of them. Octoling is a pretty surefire bet, but with how prominent Splatoon is and how much series growth Smash needs to make up for since the development of Ultimate, we could easily see another character thrown in alongside them. Especially if Octoling levels out at a semiclone or some other lower effort role.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
To stop talking about cuts for one goddamn second, who's one of the more sleeper pick newcomer choices, in your opinion? For me, it's Athena Asamiya.
I think someone from Dynasty Warriors might be a sleeper pick, because it’s one of the more unique but somehow recognizeable control systems in gaming, as well as from a company that works with Nintendo regularly (including on spin-offs featuring said Dynasty Warriors formula)

EDIT: Off the Hook propaganda that’s not coming from me or Rie, nature is healing. (And it also means I can move my niche support for Cap’n Cuttlefish to new heights)

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Honestly sometimes it's the complaining about the topic that risks becoming obnoxious more than anything else. Not saying that I myself am actually annoyed with anyone here, just a point of caution. It's fine to express your opinion on what topics you like or don't like, though also don't be surprised when a central and contentious issue keeps popping up in the thread.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The first nine words of this post could have been left out and nothing would have changed. Instead you chose to be weirdly hostile about what other people chose to talk about.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Kiryu-chan, because only the first two Yakuza games are on Nintendo.

I can see Reiji and Xiaomu more as costumes for the Miis, rather then playable fighters.
Unless they re-release the trilogy i dont see them showing up at any point.

Please Bamco re-release the first game.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It's gonna be interesting to see what they do with Bayonetta. Will they in corporate her 3 design or even her lost demon look? Will they get a nev voice after the massive screw up by Helena? Will they keep her at all?

I hope we get a stage based on cereza and the lost demon. That game was gorgeous

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The first nine words of this post could have been left out and nothing would have changed. Instead you chose to be weirdly hostile about what other people chose to talk about.
I believe he was just trying to change the subject and may have been a bit annoyed. I do think that is all.

Why not leave Perkilator Perkilator alone? It is not like what you said in response to his post was so warranted or needed, anyway.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Think they’ll replace Mario, Luigi, and Wario’s voice lines with Kevin Afghani?
If they did this for something as mundane as a Super Mario 64 minigame in WarioWare, they will absolutely do it for Smash. Those Charles lines are over 15 years old now, I think they really need to be recorded as a lot of that lingering Brawl sound design is starting to get stale.

Honestly I hope they use that as a springboard to consider rerecording for other characters and maybe finally bringing in Kenny James.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Now that I think about it, Waluigi's post-Martinet voice still hasn't been heard, right?
That, is something I would like to hear. It would be especially thrilling to hear Waluigi's new voice if Kevin first voices him in the next Smash Bros., and if Waluigi is playable in said game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Maybe they can give Sonic some proper ****ing voice lines.
Well unfortunately that goes a little deeper into Nintendo's (poor) practices regarding union actors. Roger Craig Smith is union and presumably Sega dishes Nintendo whatever lines from existing games they can pool together into something comprehensible. It sucks but that's up to Nintendo to finally ease up or Roger to decide on his own to record lowkey / uncredited like Antony Del Rio did for Pit.

And personally, as much as I'd love to hear new lines, I can't in good conscience hope for the latter. These actors deserve better than that.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well unfortunately that goes a little deeper into Nintendo's (poor) practices regarding union actors. Roger Craig Smith is union and presumably Sega dishes Nintendo whatever lines from existing games they can pool together into something comprehensible. It sucks but that's up to Nintendo to finally ease up or Roger to decide on his own to record lowkey / uncredited like Antony Del Rio did for Pit.
I thought that was the case. I was gonna respond to Hadokeyblade and say something like that.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It's gonna be interesting to see what they do with Bayonetta. Will they in corporate her 3 design or even her lost demon look? Will they get a nev voice after the massive screw up by Helena? Will they keep her at all?

I hope we get a stage based on cereza and the lost demon. That game was gorgeous
Considering Helena burned bridges with Platinum, I'm pretty sure she's getting a new VA as I doubt they would want her to continue to play their character even with the older clips and I think Sakurai and Nintendo would try to respect that.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

And personally, as much as I'd love to hear new lines, I can't in good conscience hope for the latter. These actors deserve better than that.
Well, they can ask Deven Mack to record lines.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
On the note of VAs though, I just hope the next game gives a general update to the cast. Some of them have been reusing clips from the 64 era, and while some don't mind more than others it has limited how much a character can be expressed since they're limited by what the VA originally gave and how those clips can be applied. It's why for instance, Lucina can't respond to Chrom despite having every reason to, while Chrom can talk to Lucina since he came after her. Letting the cast get their VAs back in and record would allow for those characters to feel more in line with each other and allow for more proper interactions.

Well, they can ask Deven Mack to record lines.
IIRC, he's unionized as well, so I think he'd have to go through at least some of the same hoops.

I wouldn't mind him playing Sonic though as I do enjoy his work.

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I'm pretty late to any reboot/cut discourse but I felt like giving my two cents about it. The way I view it roster and crossover aspect of Smash Bros will always be considered the franchise's biggest selling point. As much as some fans would (understandably) like to see a significantly trimmed roster that prioritizes giving moveset overhauls to Samus or Ganondorf or Sonic or whoever, realistically speaking the average Smash consumer that isn't engaged in the speculation or competitive scene likely isn't gonna care in the slightest. To them it probably makes no difference wether or not Wario can use his shoulder bash attack from the Wario Land series. As long as they can play as the man himself, things are fine. Those are the fans who would view such a trade off as a bad deal and I'm pretty sure Nintendo would want to focus on keeping that demographic happy. "Reboot" rosters that only have half of veterans return would just be rocking the boat too much and it gets harder for me to see Nintendo wanting.

Of course, the next Smash will likely have cuts. I doubt Everyone is Here will happen twice but aside from Young Link and Pichu I can't confidently call who's gonna go. To me characters like Corrin and Dr. Mario seem disposable but who knows if those calling the shots share that same opinion.
I'm not sure if you can really call it a "sleeper pick" put a Resident Evil rep is something I'm suprised I don't see people talk about more often. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough idk

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
who’s that might I ask?
An SNK character who's mainly from the King of Fighters games. (though admittedly, that could describe most SNK characters that aren't Terry, maybe Rock Howard, or the Samurai Shodown cast)

She's a psychic Japanese schoolgirl-turned-idol singer. I think she's considered one of SNK's mascots, though not to the extent of Terry Bogard or Samurai Shodown's Nakoruru.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

Nabbit's a rising star and arguably in a similar position to Rosalina when she was added to Smash 4. A recurring character in mainline and spinoff Mario, he's had more than 10 years to make a name for himself and I'm thinking this next game might finally be his time, assuming they don't add Waluigi.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Fine.

I will voice Sonic.
i dare you to give him a cockney accent

An SNK character who's mainly from the King of Fighters games. (though admittedly, that could describe most SNK characters that aren't Terry, maybe Rock Howard, or the Samurai Shodown cast)

She's a psychic Japanese schoolgirl-turned-idol singer. I think she's considered one of SNK's mascots, though not to the extent of Terry Bogard or Samurai Shodown's Nakoruru.
cheers

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Nabbit's a rising star and arguably in a similar position to Rosalina when she was added to Smash 4. A recurring character in mainline and spinoff Mario, he's had more than 10 years to make a name for himself and I'm thinking this next game might finally be his time, assuming they don't add Waluigi.
I'm totally game for Nabbit, although I wonder if he's had his big break moment like Rosalina yet. You could feasibly play any of the games he's playable in without really having to bother with him, whereas Rosalina was an unavoidable part of her debut that put her in the direct spotlight. I'd really like him to start appearing in more things, maybe becoming a spinoff staple like Rosalina quickly assimilated into, but he's been lagging behind a bit there too. It does strike me as odd that if they wanted to be pushing Nabbit harder, he probably could have slotted into that final wave of MK8D characters. I was rooting for him!

But I do wanna make it clear, he has my support. He's got a great design, and a thief character would provide some really interesting building blocks. Might have to make up a lot of stuff, but truth be told Rosalina took a lot of liberties also. All you need is one strong concept behind the character to inform a compelling moveset, in Rosalina's case it was a puppeteer kit and in Nabbit's it could be a moveset centered around thievery and deception.

Last edited:

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
Think they’ll replace Mario, Luigi, and Wario’s voice lines with Kevin Afghani?
I hope so, because for as much as I love Charles as Mario, the direction on that performance was just all wrong. In Mario games his voice very energetic and bubbly and he’s made to sound like he’s having fun, but in Smash he looks and sounds so stoic and determined- but he still has Mario dialogue. And the end result is having angry wahoos. which makes no sense!

Mario needs a complete top to bottom rework IMO. His identity in Smash is so different from how he’s portrayed in his own games. I've been pushing for this for a while now but Wonder is a great glimpse into how fun and expressive he could be.

vs.

his gameplay feels very dated, too, but that's neither here nor there.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Guys, I just thought of a crazy thing for if there were a poison type character in Smash...

How about making one of such a character's moves a poison/acid spray?

Basically, it works like FLUDD with Mario and Water Gun with Squirtle, in that it can push enemies away when the move hits them. However, due to it being acid or poison, the enemies knocked away would receive damage the longer they are in contact with it.

Maybe the more damage opponents take, the farther they will be knocked by the acid/poison spray, too?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Guys, I just thought of a crazy thing for if there were a poison type character in Smash...

How about making one of such a character's moves a poison/acid spray?

Basically, it works like FLUDD with Mario and Water Gun with Squirtle, in that it can push enemies away when the move hits them. However, due to it being acid or poison, the enemies knocked away would receive damage the longer they are in contact with it.

Maybe the more damage opponents take, the farther they will be knocked by the acid/poison spray, too?
Well we do have ivysaur, but I take your point. I guess my pick would be the poison type Pokemon Grafaiai

UserKev

Smash Champion
Definitely Birdo. Just a fun echo inspired pick. Easy home stage material in Mushroom Kingdom 2. Recurring roles and a well built fan favorite.

Ivander

Smash Legend
who's one of the more sleeper pick newcomer choices, in your opinion? For me, it's Athena Asamiya.
Phantasy Star in general, whether it'd be Alis Landale or Ash Canaan/Kireek/The Guardian/Etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom