• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I thought Waluigi was from the Mushroom Kingdom.

Shows what I know.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of the Links, I kinda hate what they did with Toon Link.
He was great in Brawl! But then he felt stuck in Brawl even during Smash 4 and Ultimate. Everyone else got a substantial speed boost, while Toon Link remained very floaty and slow even in Ultimate. Even his arrows and bombs are still super slow.
Then in Ultimate they also changed his sword sound effects to that weird squishy sound that doesn't feel satisfying at all and they gave him a stall-and-fall which just feels unfitting. He still looks great, but then his animations rarely have him facing the screen. He just feels kinda undercooked.

Then Young Link comes back. If Toon feels stuck in Brawl, Young feels stuck in Melee, but Melee is a much better game to be stuck in.
Young is fast, he's furious, he has a ton of combos, he just feels great to play and he's by far my favorite Link.
Plus, as OoT's Link, he is THE Link to me.

I'd really like all three Links to be retained, there's room for all three imo, but if I had to choose, Young is clearly the best "secondary" Link.
I think Toon Link really should get more stuff from his games to give him a stronger identity. Make his up B able to make him move on the ground like in TWW, give him Deku Leaf, Skull Hammer and the Grappling Hook. Have him use the Four Sword and summon the other three Links either as a special or at least as the Final Smash.
Toon Link appears in so many games but he has barely anything from those in Smash; and Young Link as of Ultimate works soooo much better as the smaller, faster Link.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Just made full on Club Penguin Smash Moveset concept take a look and tell what do you think

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
There is no 'THE Link'. Each Link is a different person.
If I recall correctly, it is kind of a bit complicated than that. I mean, each Link may be different, but they are all the Hero of Time, each one being some kind of reincarnation or the spirit of the hero they are, something like that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If I recall correctly, it is kind of a bit complicated than that. I mean, each Link may be different, but they are all the Hero of Time, each one being some kind of reincarnation or the spirit of the hero they are, something like that.
sort of but like a lot of things in the canon it’s unclear and Nintendo doesn’t seem to worry about it

smashkirby

Smash Hero
To stop talking about cuts for one goddamn second, who's one of the more sleeper pick newcomer choices, in your opinion? For me, it's Athena Asamiya.
Honestly, I kind of feel a similar way. Well, at least in terms of whether or not Smash decides that it wants a new SNK character or two.

An SNK character who's mainly from the King of Fighters games. (though admittedly, that could describe most SNK characters that aren't Terry, maybe Rock Howard, or the Samurai Shodown cast)

She's a psychic Japanese schoolgirl-turned-idol singer. I think she's considered one of SNK's mascots, though not to the extent of Terry Bogard or Samurai Shodown's Nakoruru.
Really? I always assumed that Athena was very much on Terry's level in terms of being one of SNK's mascots. Not to discredit Nakoruru (and Samurai Shodown as a whole, for that matter) or anything, but Heaven knows I've certainly seen Athena around the 'video game mascots circle' FAR more than I ever have Nakoruru.

On one hand, I feel like Off the Hook could operate as sort of a blend of Ice Climbers and Pyra / Mythra. Let you control who takes the lead for normals, while the other provides specials for assistive backup (ie NASB Angry Beavers, I feel like I keep citing this idea because I really love it). With a few moves that incorporate them both, but in essence you're in control of the one. This is kind of how I imagine Diddy and Dixie could have worked out. This could operate for either of the idol duos, although Pearl and Marina just have more dynamic personalities and designs to play with IMO, they read much clearer as "offense and defense". Pearl is obviously the more rough and tumble physical fighter, she'll swing around her microphone and scream in your face, and then Marina is the more defensive and calculated character with some zoning capability utilizing her turntables.
It's funny, I actually had a similar idea in mind for my Marvelous Trio (Dion, Max, and Jack) moveset, where Dion being in the lead would allow the trio to move faster, Max in the lead would provide the trio with more knockback potential, and Jack in the lead would allow the team to jump higher and have more power to their up special move.

Well unfortunately that goes a little deeper into Nintendo's (poor) practices regarding union actors. Roger Craig Smith is union and presumably Sega dishes Nintendo whatever lines from existing games they can pool together into something comprehensible. It sucks but that's up to Nintendo to finally ease up or Roger to decide on his own to record lowkey / uncredited like Antony Del Rio did for Pit.

And personally, as much as I'd love to hear new lines, I can't in good conscience hope for the latter. These actors deserve better than that.
I thought that was the case. I was gonna respond to Hadokeyblade and say something like that.
On the note of VAs though, I just hope the next game gives a general update to the cast. Some of them have been reusing clips from the 64 era, and while some don't mind more than others it has limited how much a character can be expressed since they're limited by what the VA originally gave and how those clips can be applied. It's why for instance, Lucina can't respond to Chrom despite having every reason to, while Chrom can talk to Lucina since he came after her. Letting the cast get their VAs back in and record would allow for those characters to feel more in line with each other and allow for more proper interactions.
Seriously, I wish Nintendo would change their stance on union VAs. As you all have said, some characters feel... 'off' without new voice clips "exclusive" to Smash. In fact, it's funny that Arcanir Arcanir brings up Chrom and Lucina in particular, as their lack "2-way interactions" STILL bugs me to no end.

Side note, but is anyone else also thrown off by how Pit doesn't have any special quotes when winning a match against Palutena and Dark Pit, yet the latter two have quotes when defeating HIM? I don't know, it just... bothers me.

Heck, this 'no union VAs' business is apparently why we didn't get Ali Hillis back as Palutena for Ultimate (According to Ali herself, she was busy with something else during Smash 4's development, which is why she didn't voice her there; otherwise she apparently would have been totally up for doing VA work for Smash 4).

It even makes me wonder what this means for characters like Cloud and Sephiroth going forward. Like, I'm aware of the situation with Steve Burton, but what about Cody Christian? Is he also barred from voicing Cloud outside of FFVII Remake content?

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
To stop talking about cuts for one goddamn second, who's one of the more sleeper pick newcomer choices, in your opinion? For me, it's Athena Asamiya.
I want to add to this conversation by saying that I think a Mario Kart rep could be interesting to see and honestly not out of the realm of possibility. Namely Koopa Troopa, since he's a mainstay in the Mario Kart series and Nintendo likes to use him to represent the series in some promotional material. To me it's the kind of pick that makes total sense but nobody really sees coming.

It wouldn't be too much trouble to design a moveset for him, I can easily see his normals having him throw punches from his kart, and you can have fun for his Smash attacks like making him perform donuts. The special moves are easy: Item box, Glider, Antigrav, and Mini-Turbos.

If you think about it, Mario Kart is Nintendo's biggest series that isn't represented by a fighter, unless you count Wario and Bowser Jr's side specials for some reason.

Amornal1

Smash Apprentice
I want to add to this conversation by saying that I think a Mario Kart rep could be interesting to see and honestly not out of the realm of possibility. Namely Koopa Troopa, since he's a mainstay in the Mario Kart series and Nintendo likes to use him to represent the series in some promotional material. To me it's the kind of pick that makes total sense but nobody really sees coming.

It wouldn't be too much trouble to design a moveset for him, I can easily see his normals having him throw punches from his kart, and you can have fun for his Smash attacks like making him perform donuts. The special moves are easy: Item box, Glider, Antigrav, and Mini-Turbos.

If you think about it, Mario Kart is Nintendo's biggest series that isn't represented by a fighter, unless you count Wario and Bowser Jr's side specials for some reason.
I think that shy guy could work too because of his first playable apparence on mario kart ds.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Speaking of Toadette...

Why not replace Toad as Peach's (and Daisy's) B move with Toadette and make Toad a playable character?

I mean, considering how Toadette turns into Peachette in New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, I'd say it would make some more sense for Toadette to be the shield instead of Toad.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Really? I always assumed that Athena was very much on Terry's level in terms of being one of SNK's mascots. Not to discredit Nakoruru (and Samurai Shodown as a whole, for that matter) or anything, but Heaven knows I've certainly seen Athena around the 'video game mascots circle' FAR more than I ever have Nakoruru.
It's really just because of Nakoruru's popularity is why she's seen as a mascot and she's made a lot of appearances because of that. Athena is the only one that was the intended mascot, so that's why she's in the discussion.

In the end, while Terry is clearly the SNK mascot (officially or not), they could still all be considered mascots too.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I really like this, although I'd much rather they opt for Mach Rider or Excitebiker with this kind of idea. Because I'm so down for some sort of mount character always riding something around, probably one of the concepts / archetypes I'd want to see portrayed the most. I just think I'd be a little underwhelmed if the execution was through another Mario character, kind of like how even though I like Piranha Plant I feel like they're a step below other "surprise" characters for what they're setting out to achieve. I think Mario Kart is generally well represented through items and stages but there is more than enough to work with here. Side note though, I wish they went harder on the Mario Kart music selection since they designated a whole separate category for it.

But yeah, meanwhile with those aforementioned retro characters I think a motorcycle just kind of lends itself better, since you can work in a bunch of bmx tricks, wheelies akira slides and whatnot. It might be a bit more difficult to make a moveset for a kart, not impossible (would be silly to say this) but I feel like some attacks may feel more like stretching the concept and making me question why. I think the way it would have to go is that this would be a very ground-centric character, attacking mostly with spinouts and drifts outside of the obvious items, and they would struggle a lot when airborne but could pull out the parachute to recover. Maybe a cute attack where, for their up smash, the Battle mode balloons start inflating over their head and pop to create an impact. There definitely is some fun potential here, although I believe those aerials might end up a little clunky.

All that said, if we did add Koopa Troopa maybe we could throw in a few other enemy types for a Bowser Jr sort of approach, get Shy Guy in there as an alt or an echo fighter. Even Toad or Toadette could work if they weren't made playable otherwise, even though I'm sure that wouldn't be the ideal for most of their fans. Just thinking of other small / lightweight racers that could feasibly slot into the general mold.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I actually think, what with Peach getting an entire game full of potential new moves, that she should lose two of her moves to Toad as a Fighter.

The Toad Shield obviously being one of them, but I also think the Turnip Pull should go to Toad as well. As it originates from his first playable appearance as well, but also, it's a core mechanic of Treasure Tracker.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
"Kart in a Smash moveset" is fine to the extent of, say possibly, Waluigi's side special. Wouldn't want a whole moveset around it, especially since I'm more a fan of "represent the character" than "represent the game itself."

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Mario Kart Crossroads/Super Smash Kart.....hmm, what? I wasn't saying anything. Nope, certainly not.

nintendo kart is a dumb idea and would lead to more dissatisfaction amongst everyone due to x or y character from their favorite series not making it in, or said characters making it in but replacing shy guy and dry bones in the process because there's no way there's gonna be enough room for any mario character not in the main cast if a Smash Kart actually happens.

the mario universe has so much untapped potential for playable characters and tracks that including all these other franchises sounds like, frankly put, a really limiting idea. i don't want to race on gaur plain or dreamland or any other grassy world-1 esque stage from their respective games, because I know that's exactly what most of the tracks in a smash kart will be comprised of if it ever happens.

i just wanna play as wiggler, i don't need to play as captain falcon or samus or whatever. the solution to any series' problem isn't to make it a crossover.

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Mario as a universe does have a lot of untapped potential in Mario Kart... but if the gacha that ran for multiple years focused more on giving the core cast a hundred costumes and maybe putting a few mooks in the karts sometimes over doing wacky things, I really don't think they'll ever actually tap that potential. At least with Nintendo Kart there's a decent chance I'd get the Warioware Rep I've wanted to see for well over a decade at this point.

And Guar Plains would make for an awesome dirt course, let's not kid ourselves.

Top Bottom