• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
80s
90s
2000s
2010s

Pick a character from each of these decades for the next Smash.
80's - Ryu Hayabusa
90's - Rayman
00's - Shantae
10's - Officer Howard

Limiting myself to one per decade is honestly a lot more challenging than I thought lmao, I had second thoughts on a few of these. Only one I wouldn't budge on is Rayman.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Interesting... This seems to be more about there being value in... True inspiration? Verses... Uh commanded inspiration? I had a vision one morning of Jesus standing in a street and weeping, a flower growing where it puddled... She was cutting hair and the vision had been in my mind for about an hour , I'm maybe 6 or whatever.. anyway I started DEMANDING she draw it before the image faded forever and her being a professional artist meant it was worth a shot, I mean her rendition of a bust of Bach in a classroom looked really real! She drew it it was perfect.... I was inspired. I used the tools . That vision was manifest. That's not what Palworld is. Palworld is a wonderland of hilarity and a successful cash grab. But name no mistake "AI" is going to help a lot of people manifest their creativity because not every one is a "true" artist but everyone has an artistic flair once in their lives.
a person is not a tool. well except the tories

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The real tricky thing with AI and machine learning will be non-profit fan projects and/or stuff on the grey market. Something intended to make money (especially long term) will typically need to be in a legit marketplace, one that will in the future be regulated both in a requirement of disclosing use of AI or outright limiting its use.

But something that's just off a website or torrent, with no intention of actually earning money off it beyond small donations or crypto? That's going to be a very hard thing to shut down both because of the hydra like nature of certain internet content and because so much of machine learning will get cheaper and easily utilized by the masses. A Capcom will likely hesitate to a degree about utilizing audio deepfakes for actors or AI generated art for a future Resident Evil title. There will not be nearly as much reticence by the makers of Resident Evil fan games and mods that will see their work spread once uploaded.

And that's just video games. Actors and content creators that narrate their works are going to see their voices used for all sorts of things (audiobooks, memes, etc) and it'll be a hell of a time trying to tamper that stuff down.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The real tricky thing with AI and machine learning will be non-profit fan projects and/or stuff on the grey market. Something intended to make money (especially long term) will typically need to be in a legit marketplace, one that will in the future be regulated both in a requirement of disclosing use of AI or outright limiting its use.

But something that's just off a website or torrent, with no intention of actually earning money off it beyond small donations or crypto? That's going to be a very hard thing to shut down both because of the hydra like nature of certain internet content and because so much of machine learning will get cheaper and easily utilized by the masses. A Capcom will likely hesitate to a degree about utilizing audio deepfakes for actors or AI generated art for a future Resident Evil title. There will not be nearly as much reticence by the makers of Resident Evil fan games and mods that will see their work spread once uploaded.

And that's just video games. Actors and content creators that narrate their works are going to see their voices used for all sorts of things (audiobooks, memes, etc) and it'll be a hell of a time trying to tamper that stuff down.
if they start doing it to radio hosts I’ll be out for blood

UserKev

Smash Champion
80s
90s
2000s
2010s

Birdo - Mario
Sukapon
Aipom - Pokemon
Dragonborn

I had to give Birdo the edge over Takamaru. As much as I want Taka, Birdo NEEDS to be in. For the 90s, had to give it to Sukapon. I want Kamek badly, but Sukapon is incredibly destined for Smash.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
80s
90s
2000s
2010s

80s: Book (Wonder Boy IIi)
90s: the guy from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest cause I just remembered the battle & boss themes and those are basically the only things from the 90s I want most in Smash
00s: Cooking Mama
10s: Sonia (Puzzle & Dragons)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hey guys! It's been awhile, how're yo-

Interesting... This seems to be more about there being value in... True inspiration? Verses... Uh commanded inspiration? I had a vision one morning of Jesus standing in a street and weeping, a flower growing where it puddled... She was cutting hair and the vision had been in my mind for about an hour , I'm maybe 6 or whatever.. anyway I started DEMANDING she draw it before the image faded forever and her being a professional artist meant it was worth a shot, I mean her rendition of a bust of Bach in a classroom looked really real! She drew it it was perfect.... I was inspired. I used the tools . That vision was manifest. That's not what Palworld is. Palworld is a wonderland of hilarity and a successful cash grab. But name no mistake "AI" is going to help a lot of people manifest their creativity because not every one is a "true" artist but everyone has an artistic flair once in their lives.
insert "Jesse, what the **** are you talking about?" meme here

I just wanted to say that I finally got around to playing Ace Attorney and now want Phoenix Wright in Smash, and THIS is one of the first things I see? COMPARING A PLAGIARIST KNOCKOFF TO JESUS SOMEHOW!?!?!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sucumbio Sucumbio

I love ya man, but like...

What is this???

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people using AI for their own personal projects if they aren’t going to earn money off it. Chances are that person wasn’t going to hire an artist anyways. AI does allow some people to express their creativity and vision that may not have had the ability to do so before. I personally prefer using AI to build off my own existing art and then modify the end result to personalize it more. It’s amusing to just see what it creates from just a prompt but it doesn’t really feel right without putting some of your own into it.

The problem for me comes when big corporations use it as an excuse to cut costs from hiring artists. Like any technology, it’s a double edged sword and it can be used for either good or bad. I am legitimately worried about artists, actors, and musicians never being able to find work again if everything is automated. As an artist myself, I totally understand people’s issue with the whole concept. I just think there are ways to use it responsibly that doesn’t have to harm anyone.

Sucumbio Sucumbio

What is this???
I’ve noticed he does that a lot. Half the time I have no idea what he’s talking about lol. I just assumed he’s just being funny.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
-Realizing four characters you want come from 2000s-

I'll have to come back to this.
lol I hear you. A lot of my most wanted characters come from the 90’s. I had to leave out Magus, who is about tied with the Battletoads for my most wanted. Zegram Ghart from the 00’s is my personal favorite character but since he has no chance, he always feels weird to put on these lists.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Honestly at this point we've got all the heavy hitting characters covered, I want new characters more for what new mechanics and playstyles they could bring than for what their names are.

As long we have variety in the character selection, from both series and bodytype aspects. I think I've seen enough anime prettyboys in one platform fighter for life.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Decade picks? Okay! For an extra bit of flavor, I'll do both first and third parties.

First Party:
1980s: Takamaru
1990s: Sukapon
2000s: Kyle Hyde
2010s: Edelgard
2020s (bonus): Gholdengo

Third Party:
1980s: Frogger
1990s: Lara Croft
2000s: Maxwell
2010s: Sans

-Realizing four characters you want come from 2000s-

I'll have to come back to this.
God that's a mood lmao.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Sucumbio Sucumbio

What is this???
A personal example of how when I was inspired by a deeply touching image and filled with an obsession to get it on paper and how I was able to do so, not because I could with my own two hands, but through my mom's real abilities. The image hit me shortly before she sat me down for a haircut and I just could not get it out of my head, I felt a deep seated need to share this beautiful image and it felt massively important to share. Fast forward 40 years and now everyone has a chance to express themselves like I did but instead of having to go through their mom (that's if they're lucky enough to have an artist close by) I can use a computer! I honestly have been waiting for this to become a reality for years. My dream is to one day hook my brain into my speakers and play the music in my head over them without having to use Cubase and a Yamaha as a go between, transforming music creation from days or weeks of work into minutes and all the more exactly as I hear it I my head.

Ivander

Smash Legend
A personal example of how when I was inspired by a deeply touching image and filled with an obsession to get it on paper and how I was able to do so, not because I could with my own two hands, but through my mom's real abilities. The image hit me shortly before she sat me down for a haircut and I just could not get it out of my head, I felt a deep seated need to share this beautiful image and it felt massively important to share. Fast forward 40 years and now everyone has a chance to express themselves like I did but instead of having to go through their mom (that's if they're lucky enough to have an artist close by) I can use a computer! I honestly have been waiting for this to become a reality for years. My dream is to one day hook my brain into my speakers and play the music in my head over them without having to use Cubase and a Yamaha as a go between, transforming music creation from days or weeks of work into minutes and all the more exactly as I hear it I my head.
Either you're insane or thinking way too much into the possibility of the idea of "Making the images in your head that you think about and let some omniscient-like program make it into a reality in seconds". Look, as much as that idea and the thought of everybody having that would be interesting, there's no way it wouldn't come without a heavy cost.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Either you're insane or thinking way too much into the possibility of the idea of "Making the images in your head that you think about and let some omniscient-like program make it into a reality in seconds". Look, as much as that idea and the thought of everybody having that would be interesting, there's no way it wouldn't come without a heavy cost.
I mean it's not like it was hard... Took her a few minutes with some key questions, did some light sketching and as the image took shape I described the background, the atmosphere, the colors of the scene... With some colored pencils the image was there and really pretty much exactly as I pictured. So yeah the fact a computer can do that with just a simple back and forth of written commands means we've come a huge way and can only keep going. I don't know what the cost would be or to who.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I mean it's not like it was hard... Took her a few minutes with some key questions, did some light sketching and as the image took shape I described the background, the atmosphere, the colors of the scene... With some colored pencils the image was there and really pretty much exactly as I pictured. So yeah the fact a computer can do that with just a simple back and forth of written commands means we've come a huge way and can only keep going. I don't know what the cost would be or to who.
If I were your mom in this situation I'd be pretty offended by this but I'm not her so idk.

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
So I'm not sure if anyone noticed this, but I just wanted to point out that official Smash Bros site has updated it's social links to rebrand Twitter to X

according to the web archive, this change was made on November 27th, 2023

It very likely doesn't mean anything, but the fact that the Smash Ultimate site is still being updated to this day is pretty strange to me

1705989078215.png

unless, perhaps....
Elon Musk rebrands to battle in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate :4pacman:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So I'm not sure if anyone noticed this, but I just wanted to point out that official Smash Bros site has updated it's social links to rebrand Twitter to X

It very likely doesn't mean anything, but the fact that the Smash Ultimate site is still being updated to this day is pretty strange to me

View attachment 383364

unless, perhaps....
November 27th..... When were the new spirit events announced? It was probably just around that time

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people using AI for their own personal projects if they aren’t going to earn money off it. Chances are that person wasn’t going to hire an artist anyways. AI does allow some people to express their creativity and vision that may not have had the ability to do so before. I personally prefer using AI to build off my own existing art and then modify the end result to personalize it more. It’s amusing to just see what it creates from just a prompt but it doesn’t really feel right without putting some of your own into it.

The problem for me comes when big corporations use it as an excuse to cut costs from hiring artists. Like any technology, it’s a double edged sword and it can be used for either good or bad. I am legitimately worried about artists, actors, and musicians never being able to find work again if everything is automated. As an artist myself, I totally understand people’s issue with the whole concept. I just think there are ways to use it responsibly that doesn’t have to harm anyone.

I’ve noticed he does that a lot. Half the time I have no idea what he’s talking about lol. I just assumed he’s just being funny.
how you seen how much it costs to hire an artist

oh it was your mother, i thought you were harassing some random person

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Whats your guys Opinion on a new "Custom Character" Slot in Smash 6 or 7?
Like it would work this way!
So you first pick out either a mii or a model! A Model is either a game character or something like a cat or sportsmate!
You can obviously customize miis (with new options from the miitopia remake) or you can use a prexisting model those have at most like 3-5 Designs and the option to change colours they also have expresive faces So lets say instead of getting a bomberman deluxe costume you can buy a bomberman model it would come with a couple of designs from bomberman r perhaps and with colours!
Also Mii styles are gone instead you can pick from 4 base movesets (fighter, Sword, Gunner and mage)
And than you´ll freely pick from A Ton Of generic specials like Boomerangs would be one but it isnt links! rarely a model comes with its own design for special
for example a toon zelda model could use the light bow! Also Third party Deluxe Costumes usually give you one new special!
If you pick a mii you still get costumes but they now come in 4 colourable pieces and are Basic Generic designs like Knight or so!
Stuff like a inkling costume would be a model!
Sizes and height can be customized too!
like 12 Diffrent final smashes! or something!
Voices can be either picked, come with a model or can be recorded yourself!

I would love this concept and if i ever make a smashclone i 100% try to incorporate something similar!

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

View attachment 383364

unless, perhaps....
As the site's premiere asylum patient and promoter of the possibility of more DLC for Ultimate, I think this is more about keeping the branding on Ultimate's website up to date. Ultimate is still a major product that continues to sell for Nintendo, so it's not like Nintendo is going out of its way to update the website of some games that have come and gone in relevance.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
So you first pick out either a mii or a model! A Model is either a game character or something like a cat or sportsmate!
You can obviously customize miis (with new options from the miitopia remake) or you can use a prexisting model those have at most like 3-5 Designs and the option to change colours they also have expresive faces So lets say instead of getting a bomberman deluxe costume you can buy a bomberman model it would come with a couple of designs from bomberman r perhaps and with colours!
Also Mii styles are gone instead you can pick from 4 base movesets (fighter, Sword, Gunner and mage)
And than you´ll freely pick from A Ton Of generic specials like Boomerangs would be one but it isnt links! rarely a model comes with its own design for special
for example a toon zelda model could use the light bow! Also Third party Deluxe Costumes usually give you one new special!
If you pick a mii you still get costumes but they now come in 4 colourable pieces and are Basic Generic designs like Knight or so!

I would love this concept and if i ever make a smashclone i 100% try to incorporate something similar!
I like this. I like this a lot. Probably never happening, but this is the closest Smash could get to Soul Caliber’s Customization and I am all for it!

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I would love a really in depth character creator outside of Miis. I love creating characters in games but never cared for the aesthetics of the Miis. I have a feeling that it would be way too much work to be worth it for them given Smash’s wildly different body and character types. They probably are also fine with Miis filling the creator role so I’m not going to hold my breath on that. It would be one of the most exciting features for me personally though.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

I'd really just rather have the development time for this go toward actual characters.

Top Bottom