• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Louie G.

Smash Hero
In fairness to Xenoblade's series emblem, it was just Shulk up til DLC.

If the XB1 Monado doesn't fit anymore, and Pyra / Mythra return (they probably will) then they can reassess and add something more fitting, although I also feel like the most important piece of iconography from the first game in the series is an okay choice regardless. Easiest catch-all solution would just be the X in the series logo, even if that sounds a little boring.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hey you’re the one who insisted on calling it zanzas rather than shulks so you can hardly talk
Because that’s correct. It’s Zanza’s Monado, designed by Zanza, made by Zanza, made for Zanza and his vessel (chosen by Zanza btw). I can’t fix your ignorance.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Because that’s correct. It’s Zanza’s Monado, designed by Zanza, made by Zanza, made for Zanza and his vessel (chosen by Zanza btw). I can’t fix your ignorance.
no it came from alvis. alvis is a blade like pyra/myrhra and his weapon is the monado that zanza and shulk use how do we account for your ignorance?

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman

If the XB1 Monado doesn't fit anymore, and Pyra / Mythra return (they probably will) then they can reassess and add something more fitting, although I also feel like the most important piece of iconography from the first game in the series is an okay choice regardless. Easiest catch-all solution would just be the X in the series logo, even if that sounds a little boring.
I don’t think the XB1 Monado is outdated as a logo. Granted, it’s a bit more complicated than say, an Aegis symbol (like on Pyra/Mythra’s chest) if they were to change the logo. Both make sense to represent the series, as both symbols appear throughout all three games on the Switch.

The X symbol (guessing the ones on the title screens) also differs from game to game. If it’s the XB1 version, you run into the problem all over again on another level, not representative of the whole series.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I don't know, :ultkingdedede: might have a problem with that. Jokes aside, I feel like a hand throwing the peace sign feels a bit too generic. It's not really something I associate with Rayman specifically you know? Plenty of characters use the peace sign and it's extremely common both as an emoji/real world use.

I'm also in favor of treating the Rabbids as their own thing. Sure they got their start with Rayman and technically share a universe (at least I think that's still the case?) But it spun off into it's own series ages ago. A silhouette of a Rabbid works great for the Rabbids series but it's ill fitting as a means of representing the whole Rayman franchise. They're emblematic of a particular era but otherwise completely absent from both the series origin/classic titles and the modern UbiArt games.

It's very nit picky but I kinda have the same problem with Mega Man and Persona tbh. The gear makes enough sense because machines/robots but I still feel it's too generic. Understanbly there aren't a lot of choices for reoccurring symbols or power ups so I get why they went with it. All I can think of are E Tanks or Dr. Wily's own symbol. Outside of those I still feel like Mega Man's helmet could have worked or maybe a Mettaur since they appear throughout the whole franchise not just Classic.

Persona is the opposite, I feel like it's too specific to 5. Yes that is the main game being represented and the Phantom Thieves logo is a great fit for a symbol of P5, but if it's supposed to be Persona as a whole then it just doesn't work. Again, it's very nit picky but we do technically have content from other Persona games and if the series content gets expanded on in the future then it's going to be even more of an oddity.
The Rabbids are kind of like mascot characters for both series, so that's why they're my personal pick and since their symbol do appear in a logo, much like most symbols in Smash, I figured they make sense too. Also, Rabbids already appear in Smash as spirits, yet they're...grouped as part of the Mario series? Hmm...

As for the Mega Man and Persona, they're just examples of how symbols are not always the same for series. For Mega Man's case, though, his is taken from the Japanese logo of the series, so it makes sense. I had problems thinking about a good symbol for the series before he was in Smash (my best choice was the 1up since it showed his face) but had I known about the gear from the Japanese logo, I would picked that from the start.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
no it came from alvis. alvis is a blade like pyra/myrhra and his weapon is the monado that zanza and shulk use how do we account for your ignorance?
Personalized in red for who? :secretkpop: Alvis made by OG Zanza btw

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

The X in Xenoblade X’s logo seems like a good choice for its stylism.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't think the Monado as a logo is really a big issue. Fire emblem also have Falchion as a logo and it's only in FE in games that Marth is playable + Gaiden (which is like half of the game of the franchise). It doesn't represent Roy, Ike or Byleth games, and only appeared in Corrin's game through amiibo but it still iconic enough in the franchise.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think the Monado as a logo is really a big issue. Fire emblem also have Falchion as a logo and it's only in FE in games that Marth is playable + Gaiden (which is like half of the game of the franchise). It doesn't represent Roy, Ike or Byleth games, and only appeared in Corrin's game through amiibo but it still iconic enough in the franchise.
Exactly, the triforce isn’t in every Zelda game and I can think of a few Pokemon games with no pokeballs

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
now who’s splitting hairs. point is the monado has connections through out the series
GG we take those :cheersleo:

I personally like the aesthetic of the Xenoblade font. I want that paintbrush X.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Also Dragon quest is a similar case, with the logo being the mark of Erdrick, which only appeared in the first 3 Dragon quest games (not even in DQ11 despite the first costume and the stage being from this game).

jamesster445

Smash Lord

If anything it should be the Zohar/Conduit. It's a recurring item throughout the entire Xeno series(s).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Also Dragon quest is a similar case, with the logo being the mark of Erdrick, which only appeared in the first 3 Dragon quest games (not even in DQ11 despite the first costume and the stage being from this game).
It appears on Erdwin's Shield and the hilt of the Sword of Light in DQ11.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If anything it should be the Zohar/Conduit. It's a recurring item throughout the entire Xeno series(s).
I would only see that if they want to represent Xenogears and Xenosaga as well, but those are both third party IPs, as the former is owned by Square Enix and the latter by Namco Bandai.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
The Rabbids are kind of like mascot characters for both series, so that's why they're my personal pick and since their symbol do appear in a logo, much like most symbols in Smash, I figured they make sense too. Also, Rabbids already appear in Smash as spirits, yet they're...grouped as part of the Mario series? Hmm...

As for the Mega Man and Persona, they're just examples of how symbols are not always the same for series. For Mega Man's case, though, his is taken from the Japanese logo of the series, so it makes sense. I had problems thinking about a good symbol for the series before he was in Smash (my best choice was the 1up since it showed his face) but had I known about the gear from the Japanese logo, I would picked that from the start.
Do you happen to know when they started using the gear in the logo? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places but the JP boxart and title screens don't seem to have it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sigh. Typical
Typical day, typical dub.

It appears on Erdwin's Shield and the hilt of the Sword of Light in DQ11.
The Sword of Light is also what 11 is using when he fights. This is honestly a new fact for me because I thought this whole time it was just a random design choice.

I would only see that if they want to represent Xenogears and Xenosaga as well, but those are both third party IPs, as the former is owned by Square Enix and the latter by Namco Bandai.
This world and this thread isn’t ready to discuss KOS-MOS in Smash.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Typical day, typical dub.

The Sword of Light is also what 11 is using when he fights. This is honestly a new fact for me because I thought this whole time it was just a random design choice.

This world and this thread isn’t ready to discuss KOS-MOS in Smash.
I've been ready for Kos-Mos for ages. I want more Namco series. Give me Soul Calibur, Tales, and Reiji/Xiaomu. And Ms. Pac-Man if they can manage to pry her from atgame's grasp

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We did that a lot like 5 years ago. I remember her name coming up frequently.
And if you remember the responses, this thread clearly wasn’t ready to discuss her. :239:

why yes, thank you for offering.:cheersleo:

Yeah!

It's the last 3 notes they're the same as the last 3 notes of snakes death music

Although in a different key
IMG_7336.jpeg

When did you first find out about this? How long have you been holding onto this knowledge?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
oh, you’re drunk
I’m on company time, old man. I get paid to ****post by the hour. Who in their right mind would choose this website to be on while consuming alcohol, something moderators would smite you for even mentioning?

:iwatadirect: Now who’s splitting hairs?

X as a newcomer would be really fun tho not gonna lie
I would gladly take an X and Zero package. I love MMX

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’m on company time, old man. I get paid to ****post by the hour. Who in their right mind would choose this website to be on while consuming alcohol, something moderators would smite you for even mentioning?

:iwatadirect: Now who’s splitting hairs?
I never said you were in your right mind

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
And if you remember the responses, this thread clearly wasn’t ready to discuss her. :239:

why yes, thank you for offering.:cheersleo:

View attachment 382446

When did you first find out about this? How long have you been holding onto this knowledge?
Lol! Actually I remember a tournament stream maybe? Anyway someone quipped "someday game and watch will get his own music" or something haha but yeah well I noticed it right away... I even thought maybe they had something in common like a shared development team or something but no just one of those things.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Mega Man's icon is a gear because Sakurai was future-proofing for the inevitable Mega Man X rep :4pacman:
I mean, at this point I assume the inclusion of content from throughout the franchise was in fact the reasoning. Something general that isn't tied to just the classic games. My point of confusion though is that I'm not seeing the gear on the box art/title screen logos for classic, X, Legends or Battle Network despite being told it's from a logo somewhere...

I guess the gear works fine enough, but I'm honestly growing attached to the idea of using the Met. They appear in every version of Mega Man, except Legends... gear it is I guess.

oh, you’re drunk
Apologies if you got the joke and were doing a bit of your own. Will's memeing but I can't tell if you are.

dub = W = Win = Victory = "Typical day, typical victory"
X as a newcomer would be really fun tho not gonna lie
I know there's concern over overpopulating the roster with certain franchsies or third parties in general but I'm still in favor of adding a big handful of both Sonic and Mega Man characters and giving them the spacies treatment. With some exceptions of course, Zero's got to use his Z-Saber after all.
Real ones remember the KOS-MOS Mario Kart Tour Incident
Wait what? I wasn't here for that, please elaborate.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I never said you were in your right mind
apologies that was uncalled for. just don’t bring that “only the things that prove me right count” logic

Apologies if you got the joke and were doing a bit of your own. Will's memeing but I can't tell if you are.

dub = W = Win = Victory = "Typical day, typical victory"
I don’t follow that at all

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
apologies that was uncalled for. just don’t bring that “only the things that prove me right count” logic

I don’t follow that at all
People use the letters W and L as shorthand slang for win and loss. The letter W is "double u", so that then gets shorted to "dub", an alternative slang but the same meaning. Dub/W = win/victory/>insert other word with the same meaning<

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Wait what? I wasn't here for that, please elaborate.
Around the eve of TGAs 2019, someone pointed out that Nintendo had copystriked a video showing off a KOS-MOS mod for Smash Bros. This led to the natural conclusions you'd expect, but what was eventually pointed out was that, inexplicably, the game it was said to infringe upon in the claim was Mario Kart Tour. To this day, no one quite knows just what the hell happened, though at this point I think it's generally agreed that it was just some dingus who reported the vid on purpose to rile ppl up.

It's one of those Smash spec moments that just live rent-free in my head. I was still a lurker on SB at the time, and I remember checking the spec thread every day and seeing the madness unfold. Good times. Kinda. Sorta.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I feel like they should have used a shield.

Pretty sure that's what the titular "Fire emblem" is.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Around the eve of TGAs 2019, someone pointed out that Nintendo had copystriked a video showing off a KOS-MOS mod for Smash Bros. This led to the natural conclusions you'd expect, but what was eventually pointed out was that, inexplicably, the game it was said to infringe upon in the claim was Mario Kart Tour. To this day, no one quite knows just what the hell happened, though at this point I think it's generally agreed that it was just some dingus who reported the vid on purpose to rile ppl up.

It's one of those Smash spec moments that just live rent-free in my head. I was still a lurker on SB at the time, and I remember checking the spec thread every day and seeing the madness unfold. Good times. Kinda. Sorta.
Well, the arcade Mario Kart had :ultpacman:, Mametchi from Tamagotchi and Don-chan from Taiko no Tatsujin.

The only natural step is the next Mario Kart having characters from Klonoa, Digimon, Katamari Damancy, Tekken, SoulCalibur, Dark Souls, Armored Core, Tales, iDOLM@STER, SRW Original Generation, etc. Just sayin', is not like it will REALLY happen. :troll:

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
People use the letters W and L as shorthand slang for win and loss. The letter W is "double u", so that then gets shorted to "dub", an alternative slang but the same meaning. Dub/W = win/victory/>insert other word with the same meaning<
and people wonder why neurodivergents are confused all the time

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know I spoke incorrectly about Alvis. However, you present yourself with a very hostile aura.

I feel like they should have used a shield.

Pretty sure that's what the titular "Fire emblem" is.
It changes based on the installment, and sometimes stays consistent with each characters’ stories.

Some Fire Emblems are the shield, some are swords, some are seals that keep away the bad guys, some are seals that keep away the good guys, and sometimes it’s just being related to God. As of Engage, the Fire Emblem is Alear, your OC character

Last edited:
Top Bottom