• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
With Sakurai confirming that he’s still working on games, seemingly meaning at the same time he’s doing YouTube, I have to wonder if the New Smash has been in development for a while under a Skeleton crew.
I don't think the YouTubing takes up a whole lot of his time. He puts out, like, a 3 minute video twice a week. And has other people doing the editing for him.

It's not like he's a Twitch streamer.

****. Now I want to watch Sakurai LP games...

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Sometimes I feel Smash fans act as if every single player buys every single DLC character and would continue to do so indefinitely...
I am one such fan. I assume everyone buys all the characters because why wouldn't you? But then I was very surprised to learn there are in fact people who bought the fighters individually and apparently since my math is crap, it supposedly only saves like 6 bucks or something to even go the Pass route. Me I just have to have a full roster.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Because people have to save money somewhere?
Yeah, that's true. I don't know, it seems like if you need to save money the last place you'd scrimp is on the Smash roster. Plus now when you play online everyone is using Joker and you can't use Joker back at them because you don't own him!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I am one such fan. I assume everyone buys all the characters because why wouldn't you? But then I was very surprised to learn there are in fact people who bought the fighters individually and apparently since my math is crap, it supposedly only saves like 6 bucks or something to even go the Pass route. Me I just have to have a full roster.
It actually gets under my skin seeing someone who plays a fighting game and doesnt have all the DLC characters at the ready. I get that some people just dont do that or dont have the money for it but man does it trigger something in me to see the roster of a game incomplete.

I play online with my cousin sometimes and i know for a fact that the only DLC characters he ever got are Joker, Sephiroth and Sora and it bothers me.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I almost didn’t buy Fighters Pass 2. I wasn’t particularly interested in Min-Min or Steve and I wasn’t overly excited by how the first pass ended at the time with Terry and Byleth. The Sephiroth reveal definitely got me hyped and I bough the whole pass then. Since then, Terry’s become one of my favorites to play as even though I didn’t really have a strong connection to the character.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It actually gets under my skin seeing someone who plays a fighting game and doesnt have all the DLC characters at the ready. I get that some people just dont do that or dont have the money for it but man does it trigger something in me to see the roster of a game incomplete.

I play online with my cousin sometimes and i know for a fact that the only DLC characters he ever got are Joker, Sephiroth and Sora and it bothers me.
well I think everyone gets bothered by random things.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It’s $25 per pass… you pay $6 individually every three months minimum. You’re struggling to pay that after buying a $70 game?
It's not as simple as "I paid $60 therefore I can pay another $60". Like, there's a massive number of people who never buy any microtransactions in an F2P game despite most of them being way cheaper than a complete SSBU.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's not as simple as "I paid $60 therefore I can pay another $60". Like, there's a massive number of people who never buy any microtransactions in an F2P game despite most of them being way cheaper than a complete SSBU.
I’m one of those people. I played Magic Arena for years and the only money I ever spent on it was the $5 intro pack. I won’t pay for Switch online or Pokemon Home mostly out of principle because they used to be free even though I could afford it. I did eventually buy both Fighter’s Passes but money was part of the reason I held off on the second. I think it’s more because I’m cheap than that I really couldn’t afford to though.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Im a regular fortnite player and outside of the battle pass which is like what, 20 bucks once every few months? The only money ive spent on this game is getting Goku, Vegeta, Goku Black and Hinata.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's true. I don't know, it seems like if you need to save money the last place you'd scrimp is on the Smash roster.
This is such a silly reply that I'm not even sure it's sarcasm but just in case:

Yes actually, if I had to save money the first place I would scrimp is in video game, especially for additionnal content on a game that I can already play just fine without the additionnal content.

Either way personally I'm not totally opposed to more "traditional" dlc like Smash does (or most non free to play fighting games), but there's no denying that the bill can end up pretty high, especially if you add Mii costumes on top of that and who knows, a future Smash could do even more DLC like more alts for actual cool characters instead of just the Miis and Music pack. Smash 4 had individual Stages too as DLC so it can easily become much higher, especially with games usually getting much longer support in today ages I'm assuming a Smash 6 might get even longer support than Ultimate.

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
This is a random gut feeling but playing through Mario Wonder makes me feel like piranha plant has a really high chance of returning even with significant reboot/cuts. Feels like the plants are more prominent than even the goombas and koopas this time what with the song and being castle bowser's shield that you have to wonder away and all.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
This is a random gut feeling but playing through Mario Wonder makes me feel like piranha plant has a really high chance of returning even with significant reboot/cuts. Feels like the plants are more prominent than even the goombas and koopas this time what with the song and being castle bowser's shield that you have to wonder away and all.
I actually think Plant is a really cool and unique Smash character so I’d be glad to see it return. My favorite Mario enemy is a Goomba so I’d rather see that or Goombella but Plant’s cool too.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I feel Smash fans act as if every single player buys every single DLC character and would continue to do so indefinitely...

Look, it's one thing to love DLC and the nature of content it enables, but you gotta admit it's terrible value relative to how much you get for your money in the base game, and generally diminishing returns for the company the longer it goes. Those who still can't fathom how Nintendo could possibly decide against doing a third Fighter Pass may need to wake up.
Not to mention how a potential evergreen system-seller like Smash desperately needs to be up-to-date mechanically and graphically every gen. Backwards compatibility of the Wii and Wii U did not render Brawl or Smash 4 unnecessary.
Continued DLC or DLC-styled content packs are simply not sustainable as the primary or premier source of new content for Smash. It's not the absolute win-win for player and developer that some make it out to be. Besides, even if I'm totally off and Smash could make it work for another whole gen somehow, we'll simply wind up in the same situation again, only worse and worse as far as the possibility of porting everything over and retaining the roster goes.

I have literally never seen a fanbase with so much straight-up animosity towards the very idea of a brand-new entry in their series. At a certain point, it's too much in my opinion. Regardless of your stance on particular characters, this overarching "no cuts, no buts" attitude is just not the hill I'm gonna die on when it comes to the longterm well-being of our beloved franchise.
I'd say a third Fighter Pass has been out of the question for a while now.
I wasn't exactly thinking about endless DLC, it's more that (in my opinion) after the jump from Melee to Brawl the series has been very iterative. Not only characters, but also stages and items are quite likely to stay in the series once they've been introduced. Even Smash 4 reused a lot of stages from the previous games, though not to the extent of Ultimate.
In short, this series has a tendency to add add add in terms of the core content - what actually comes and goes for real is usually the single player modes and the collectibles.

Don't live service games often do jumps like that from Smash 4 to Ultimate? Tweak some mechanics, rework some characters, introduce some new mode... DLC introducing new single player modes in particular, as opposed to just characters, I think would go over well with more casual players.
I'm not sure if it's sustainable, but the way I see it, fans clearly love the crazy amount of content in these games, the developers like iteration (probably as a response to the fans liking it), and during the Ultimate DLC half the industry seemed very eager to jump onto the Smash train in some form - be it through a full-fledged character, a Mii costume or even just a batch of Spirits.
Resetting everything just seems... weird.

A normal sequel that loses some old content in favor of new one is pretty reasonable, though. But I wonder how exciting that's going to be unless they introduce something really crazy. Some form of service Smash seems like the safest route to surpass Ultimate.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Reminder that the idea of "why wouldn't you buy the DLC? You wouldn't want to leave the game incomplete, would you?" is, consciously or not, an abusive and scummy marketing tactic to bleed consumers dry and shame them for spending money on things that actually matter instead, and something that these companies rely on to bleed every last cent out of their customers.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
IMG_7667.jpeg

This is probably the only thing I disagreed with for DLC. Mii Costumes. Why? Why is it so cheap? If my memory is right (aka I’m too lazy to google), I’m pretty sure this is the USD equivalent of 100 yen. This is vending-machine-tier DLC. I would rather have it free than pay $1 for a Mii Brawler costume, because I don’t even play Mii Brawler. I honestly might have tried if I got it for free.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
This is such a silly reply that I'm not even sure it's sarcasm but just in case:
Definitely not sarcasm. I feel as if smash "fans" who hold out and don't drop the money on DLC fighters are doing a disservice to Smash. Costumes sure that crap is whatever but the fighters? Jesus why even own the game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Definitely not sarcasm. I feel as if smash "fans" who hold out and don't drop the money on DLC fighters are doing a disservice to Smash. Costumes sure that crap is whatever but the fighters? Jesus why even own the game.
I do it for completion’s sake; and that I was already prepared to buy DLC from the beginning because Smash is my favorite fighting game. I like the look of the complete roster on the selection screen. Neurodivergent bliss.

But if someone really doesn’t want to buy Min Min… well, I don’t blame them. :falconramen:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think it’s totally reasonable if someone decides not to buy one of the Fighter’s Passes. If money is tight and/or none of the characters really appeal to you, why should someone feel obligated to buy it just for completionist’s sake. I’ll likely continue to buy all the character passes but there’s nothing wrong with not doing so for any reason.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Reminder that the idea of "why wouldn't you buy the DLC? You wouldn't want to leave the game incomplete, would you?" is, consciously or not, an abusive and scummy marketing tactic to bleed consumers dry and shame them for spending money on things that actually matter instead, and something that these companies rely on to bleed every last cent out of their customers.
Ultimate is not like that though, they don't even use DLC Mii costumes in spirit fights unless you own them.
I have some gripes with current Nintendo (I can't believe my old GC controllers still hold up perfectly fine but there's no way to make the Joycons not drift) but at least with this stuff they're still nice.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This is probably the only thing I disagreed with for DLC. Mii Costumes. Why? Why is it so cheap?
Would you prefer SF6 with it's costumes that cost as much as a character?

The only Mii costumes I bought, were character's whose inclusion I wanted to support(Arthur, Goemon, Nakoruru, Bomberman, Geno, Dante) characters that came with music(Sans, Cuphead, Shantae) and Erdrick's Armor(just cause).

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

This is probably the only thing I disagreed with for DLC. Mii Costumes. Why? Why is it so cheap? If my memory is right (aka I’m too lazy to google), I’m pretty sure this is the USD equivalent of 100 yen. This is vending-machine-tier DLC. I would rather have it free than pay $1 for a Mii Brawler costume, because I don’t even play Mii Brawler. I honestly might have tried if I got it for free.
I’ll do you one better; all of the DLC Mii Costumes from Sm4sh should’ve been in the base game as well, and all of the new DLC Mii Costumes in Ultimate should’ve also come packaged into each Challenger Pack like all of the other content.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Ultimate is not like that though, they don't even use DLC Mii costumes in spirit fights unless you own them.
I have some gripes with current Nintendo (I can't believe my old GC controllers still hold up perfectly fine but there's no way to make the Joycons not drift) but at least with this stuff they're still nice.
Smash is a fighting game, it's inherently on the "you wouldn't leave the game incomplete would you?" track because not only do you have a roster that's incomplete but, as a fighting game, you are required to have all the dlc characters if you want to learn how to fight against those characters, you are required to have them if you have people who routinely come over and want to play those characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Would you prefer SF6 with it's costumes that cost as much as a character?
I would prefer what I said at the end, free. Maybe I’m not seeing the bigger picture or I’m simply not in its target audience. Do they track which costumes sell the best?

The only Mii costumes I bought, were character's whose inclusion I wanted to support(Arthur, Goemon, Nakoruru, Bomberman, Geno, Dante) characters that came with music(Sans, Cuphead, Shantae) and Erdrick's Armor(just cause).
I only bought the Travis costume, it was the one costume I felt worth supporting. As for the deluxe ones, I’ll just take my chances online and hope my opponent likes Megalovania. :upsidedown:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There are games with over $1000 worth of DLC. They get away with it because...customers aren't supposed to buy every single piece of DLC for a game, no matter how major or minor it is. Even Sakurai himself never said "you MUST buy FP1/2", he said you should only do it if you really, really feel like it.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think it’s totally reasonable if someone decides not to buy one of the Fighter’s Passes. If money is tight and/or none of the characters really appeal to you, why should someone feel obligated to buy it just for completionist’s sake. I’ll likely continue to buy all the character passes but there’s nothing wrong with not doing so for any reason.
Reasonable yes. The trend, no. I haven't even looked but I'd have assumed that the majority of DLC purchases were not a la carte but from fighter pass sales. That's not to say the other doesn't exist I just don't understand the logic. Let me explain a bit differently...

years back when there was no downloading to update or add, instead they were just more disks to buy, well I personally only bought an expansion pack if the game was good, and I'd played it first knowing that I'd get more game for a small bit more money. Late coming to a series was tough because there's base game then 20 expansions and it's like we'll do I buy them all now? That's 200 bucks! With Smash I don't see -each fighter- as an expansion. Nintendo did draw a line at 2 packs but that's 2 expansions not 12. The fact you can buy just 1 character is to me like reaching into the expansion box and lifting 1 disk and going to the counter like hey I just wanna buy this one disk. It's ludicrous. Over time tho, yes expansion packs became downloadable and the quality of these expansions went downhill because not every game is good to begin with so now you have a world where every game is trying to make secondary income through DLC and people are hesitant to just jump on board because they've been burned over the years.

There are games with over $1000 worth of DLC. They get away with it because...customers aren't supposed to buy every single piece of DLC for a game, no matter how major or minor it is. Even Sakurai himself never said "you MUST buy FP1/2", he said you should only do it if you really, really feel like it.
I agree, you don't have to buy everything. Costumes tho I also don't feel as if skipping them will have a negative impact on the future of the game, or on my personal enjoyment of the game. The fighters tho? It's a fighting game lol not completing the roster feels legit like you're not entirely a fan of the game, as if by NOT buying a specific character you are actively telling Nintendo you don't appreciate that character, the work negotiating for them, for designing them, etc. great well if you didn't purchase pyra mythra then we can blame you for noa mio missing next game. Thanks. Okay obviously an exaggerated circumstance but that's where my logic is when I consider whether or not Smash DLC fighters should be considered as obligatory for true fans.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Reasonable yes. The trend, no. I haven't even looked but I'd have assumed that the majority of DLC purchases were not a la carte but from fighter pass sales. That's not to say the other doesn't exist I just don't understand the logic. Let me explain a bit differently...

years back when there was no downloading to update or add, instead they were just more disks to buy, well I personally only bought an expansion pack if the game was good, and I'd played it first knowing that I'd get more game for a small bit more money. Late coming to a series was tough because there's base game then 20 expansions and it's like we'll do I buy them all now? That's 200 bucks! With Smash I don't see -each fighter- as an expansion. Nintendo did draw a line at 2 packs but that's 2 expansions not 12. The fact you can buy just 1 character is to me like reaching into the expansion box and lifting 1 disk and going to the counter like hey I just wanna buy this one disk. It's ludicrous. Over time tho, yes expansion packs became downloadable and the quality of these expansions went downhill because not every game is good to begin with so now you have a world where every game is trying to make secondary income through DLC and people are hesitant to just jump on board because they've been burned over the years.

I agree, you don't have to buy everything. Costumes tho I also don't feel as if skipping them will have a negative impact on the future of the game, or on my personal enjoyment of the game. The fighters tho? It's a fighting game lol not completing the roster feels legit like you're not entirely a fan of the game, as if by NOT buying a specific character you are actively telling Nintendo you don't appreciate that character, the work negotiating for them, for designing them, etc. great well if you didn't purchase pyra mythra then we can blame you for noa mio missing next game. Thanks. Okay obviously an exaggerated circumstance but that's where my logic is when I consider whether or not Smash DLC fighters should be considered as obligatory for true fans.
Nah this "true fan" bull**** is toxic as hell.
No one is a lesser fan just because they didn't buy a character that doesn't appeal to them.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I feel like you’re looking at this the wrong way. I have a couple of friends that just bought the base game and neither pass. They’re just very casual gamers that don’t play very often. Since they don’t play all the time, it doesn’t make much sense to invest a ton more money into it. It’s just something fun to do every once in a while at get togethers. If you just play every now and then, I don’t think it makes a ton of sense to invest a lot into DLC. I try to judge based on how much time I think I’ll put into the game to determine whether DLC is worth it. I play Smash often enough that it is for me.

As far as feeling obligated to buy the DLC just because the team put a lot of work into it, that would also be true for most major games out there. For example, I’m sure a ton of effort was put into games like Red Dead Redemption or GTA but neither personally interest me so I didn’t buy them. think it’s the same logic for characters and other DLC. As customers, we’re under no obligation to pay for anything we don’t care for.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The fighters tho? It's a fighting game lol not completing the roster feels legit like you're not entirely a fan of the game, as if by NOT buying a specific character you are actively telling Nintendo you don't appreciate that character, the work negotiating for them, for designing them, etc. great well if you didn't purchase pyra mythra then we can blame you for noa mio missing next game. Thanks. Okay obviously an exaggerated circumstance but that's where my logic is when I consider whether or not Smash DLC fighters should be considered as obligatory for true fans.
Look, if the man himself says the passes should be considered optional purchases, I don't know what else to tell you.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This is manic thinking. Why would Nintendo care about the individual customer? There is no concrete way to define, isolate, and categorize your customer as a “true fan”.

I will agree to disagree here, but imo this is a concerning belief system to have. :snakefire:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
One thing I will agree with is if you want more of something or something similar, you might want to consider supporting what’s there but you’re still under no obligation to do so if you don’t want to. For example, I’d love to see another RARE character like the Battletoads or Fulgore, so it makes sense for me to pick up Banjo. Although I may not care as much about Banjo (I loved the first game but I’m indifferent to him as a character), it still shows that there’s interest in RARE characters. . If you want another character from the same game or series or just want to see it supported more, it makes even more sense. Even in that case, I shouldn’t feel obligated to buy a character if I didn’t want them specifically but I can at least see the logic in that.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly, I feel like most consumers would be more economically offended at having to purchase another $60 for a game that has fewer characters than base Ultimate (especially if many of those characters are ported straight from Ultimate with minimal changes, as they likely would be to have a roster of any notable size) than another 6 or so characters for $30. That's also not considering the possibility that Switch 2 games are $70 USD or the Switch 2 is backward compatible, meaning people could just turn to second-hand copies of Ultimate to get more for cheaper.

This may also be the "my country is economically circling the toilet" in me speaking, but I also think consumers generally were a lot more willing to throw around money in 2018 relative to 2024. People generally have less disposable income and are more unsure of their long-term futures economically. People are generally going to trend towards purchases that are smaller because they're easier to budget around.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Because people have to save money somewhere?
Like Money doesn't come from trees.

Also i wasn't much of a fan of most of DLC choices so why would to waste money better used for something else? Also leads to destructive spiraling mindset of "get them all" but for microtransactions

purchase another $60 for a game
Being very generous with that pricing after TOTK and the general Switch success.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Being very generous with that pricing after TOTK and the general Switch success.
I genuinely forgot that TotK was $70. I was lucky enough to get that game as a gift. It is a little concerning that we already have a Nintendo game that is, in my opinion, overly derivative of a superior, previous entry while being $10 more expensive.

Here's to hoping Sakurai has some master plan to make the next Smash competitive with Ultimate despite almost certainly having less content and a higher price point :jojo:

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
While I got all the DLC characters for Ultimate, I didn't do that with Smash 4. I had no interest in Bayonetta and Corrin being in Smash and they were just two characters. Heck, I almost didn't even buy Cloud because I really didn't want him in Smash. I wanted him in PlayStation All-Stars.

When Ultimate came out, I kinda chilled out from that and woud rather have a complete roster. Plus, with these characters appearing together in this game when it's not likely to happen anywhere else (at least for most of them), why not? I mean, Duck Hunt and Persona? Ice Climber and Kingdom Hearts? Steve from Minecraft and Sephiroth? Yeah, I couldn't pass up these type of crossovers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom