• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Mega Man is in the uncomfortable position of being beloved and known by many... but not with the sales that are comparable to Capcom's current big hits like Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, & Devil May Cry. Mega Man 11 is the best selling single MM game ever, and its sales have essentially topped out at 1.6 million, which is not bad, but leagues away from the numbers that the aforementioned IP's are doing. Hence why a lot of the recent output with the series are modest collections which don't cost as much as new games and are safe means of gauging overall interest.

There is some good recent news in that The Battle Network Legacy Collection has already become the fastest selling Mega Man release ever and its likely to be the best selling one of all time given its success in the last two weeks. While some of that is rooted in Japan adoring the BN subseries, a lot of it points to the the enduring popularity of the franchise overall and that the recent title is by all accounts a very good compilation.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
There is some good recent news in that The Battle Network Legacy Collection has already become the fastest selling Mega Man release ever and its likely to be the best selling one of all time given its success in the last two weeks. While some of that is rooted in Japan adoring the BN subseries, a lot of it points to the the enduring popularity of the franchise overall and that the recent title is by all accounts a very good compilation.
Lot of people tend to forget that during the 2000's BN WAS "Megaman", had an anime that ran for 5 seasons had a bunch of merch, one of the BN games is one of the top selling Megaman games of all time so people definitely recognize these versions of the characters and like me are beyond happy that it's on modern consoles now.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Lot of people tend to forget that during the 2000's BN WAS "Megaman", had an anime that ran for 5 seasons had a bunch of merch, one of the BN games is one of the top selling Megaman games of all time so people definitely recognize these versions of the characters and like me are beyond happy that it's on modern consoles now.
With the incredibly strong sales of the GBA it means that loads of people played at least one Battle Network game at some point, so a chance to go through the entire series was likely an appeal to a lot of players.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
With the incredibly strong sales of the GBA it means that loads of people played at least one Battle Network game at some point, so a chance to go through the entire series was likely an appeal to a lot of players.
It also helps that it has the most unique combat system in any RPG ive ever played that ive never seen done anywhere else.

And the collection added online functionality to the game so everyone can use the multiplayer features now when back then the multiplayer was relegated to just being friends with the one uppermiddleclass kid in school who's parents bought a link cable.

Really makes completing these games 100% a lot easier than it was back then.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Yes, DK is a bigger franchise than the other three. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I wasn't responding directly to you only; Diddy Kong Diddy Kong had brought up GS also so I was just musing about the various series that haven't shown up yet with brand new games on Switch. I can see how it would seem like a direct response to you; sorry for not being more clear. That post was like part commenting off what you said, part commenting off what Diddy said, and part my own wandering thoughts.
Gotcha. I saw Diddy brought up GS, but I was the only one who mentioned any games being sat on, so I got a little confused.

Fwiw I absolutely do think they would sit on a DK game, because DK is a big IP useful in a steady stream of year one releases, and because they have a lot of future plans for it, so they would probably want it on a system that will remain in focus for years.

For the others, sitting on them as they would sit on a project originally intended for the Switch and then moved over, I'm not sure about. But having them in the launch window for the next thing, sure. Like I said, that may just be what happens with Camelot's next game based on timing. Of course, if they existed, they could still show up before the next thing launches.

Though I would hope that Nintendo recognizes that after the next thing gets revealed, and especially after it launches, that's going to eat in to the potential performance of whatever is still released on the Switch. And IPs like GS, KI and SF, if they got a game, would release partially with the intention of gauging the audience for the future of the IP. So releasing on hardware where the successor is known if not out would be counterproductive to optimal performance. Therefore I would hope Nintendo wouldn't release them at such inopportune timing, but who knows. It seems like that may be what happens with F-Zero.

But btw, Nintendo sits on games regularly for use when it suits their schedule. FE Engage, New Horizons, Dread, MP Remaster, Skyward Sword port, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, etc. were all alleged to have been ready well before they released. It's also how they were able to pull up the release date of XC3, because it was ready. Apparently GB/GBA had been ready to drop on the NSO since before the 64/Genesis showed up. I really wouldn't be surprised by the veracity of the claims that they have the WW and TP HD ports ready to go for when they need them.

So sitting on games isn't some foreign practice for them. It's just that if you save a game intended for one system to use on another system, it then comes with the additional costs of porting it over, which may discourage some scenarios. Though games moving to the next system during development isn't that uncommon either.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I mean if the next console has a cool name they could use that.
I'm still waiting for a portable console that can become 2 portable consoles and allow 2 people to play games together on the same disc/game file and with it, each player would be able to have their own screen. And it would be called "The Splitscreen".

That pun name aside, I wish Nintendo took more advantage of that feature with Mario Kart 7 from the 3DS that allowed multiple players to play Mario Kart 7 with only one cartridge and allowed that for some other games. And besides allowing 2 players to have a different screen like Hyrule Warriors, I liked the idea of the Wii U with the games where one player used the Gamepad for playing a different role from the other players on the main screen, like the Nintendo Land games like the Mario and Luigi's mansion games. Really wish more games on the Wii U did that.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I liked the idea of the Wii U with the games where one player used the Gamepad for playing a different role from the other players on the main screen, like the Nintendo Land games like the Mario and Luigi's mansion games. Really wish more games on the Wii U did that.
Okay, so my idea’s a bit unorthodox, but hear me out. If Dead Rising 2: Off the Record was made for Wii U, I could see one player controlling Frank with the GamePad to take pictures while another player controls Chuck with another controller, which can also allow for splitscreen.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I always find it funny that almost everyone thinks I want a Mass Effect character in Smash. Maybe as a Spirit Event or even as a costume, yes. A stage would be beyond epic but, as a character, no. I know we have mostly squashed the entire "character's needs to fit in with Smash" argument, but, to me, a character like Commander Shepard just doesn't look like they belong in Smash within the aesthetic. Just the way how Smash is designed would make Shepard look really odd. This is one reason why I think hyper-realistic characters would also look odd in Smash. Kazuya and Ryu work well but that is because they are based on previous interactions. I am find with a hyper-realistic designed character getting in, say Lara Croft because that works. For some, though, it would work against them.

I mean im obviously not talking about now because right now yeah hes an oc!
But if a character was designed as a videogame character and then had to be changed for the sole reason that making a game wasnt feasible than the character is still a Videogame Character by your logic every pokemon that debuted in the anime cant be used even tho they were designed for a game!
Anyways i dont have the mental strength to disscus right now (because im lonely) so if you could wait arround 2-3 Days than we can continue this Disscusion! I just dont want to get in a crossfire right now!
You are trying to do mental gymnastics to justify your "designed-in-paint" original character by comparing it to the character Ash Greninja who merely appears as a Final Smash. I honestly don't know what your argument is other than "my character isn't a video game character but is within a video game world thus Smash potential" when that argument can merely be debunked with...

...It's an original character made by someone on the internet

Personally, I am confused as to why you think everyone should be forced to accept that your original character is in fact a video game character despite that definition being very weak and loose. Moreover, it could be defined as a "book character" but...were is the book? Is it commercial available or is it just a concept in development? I think at this point, you should understand that most if not everyone probably won't see your character as a videogame character and do not have much interest in discussing it within the confines of Smash speculation.

Last edited:

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
You are trying to do mental gymnastics to justify your "designed-in-paint" original character by comparing it to the character Ash Greninja who merely appears as a Final Smash. I honestly don't know what your argument is other than "my character isn't a video game character but is within a video game world thus Smash potential" when that argument can merely be debunked with...

...It's an original character made by someone on the internet

Personally, I am confused as to why you think everyone should be forced to accept that your original character is in fact a video game character despite that definition being very weak and loose. Moreover, it could be defined as a "book character" but...were is the book? Is it commercial available or is it just a concept in development? I think at this point, you should understand that most if not everyone probably won't see your character as a videogame character and do not have much interest in discussing it within the confines of Smash speculation.
I was originally under this sort of mindset as well albeit a long time ago, though I eventually came to the realization that it wouldn’t make sense to promote your character before the intellectual property that character comes from.

I think having an OC is smash was something a lot of people had at least thought of maybe once or twice

but that’s why we have Mii fighters lol

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I was originally under this sort of mindset as well albeit a long time ago, though I eventually came to the realization that it wouldn’t make sense to promote your character before the intellectual property that character comes from.

I think having an OC is smash was something a lot of people had at least thought of maybe once or twice

but that’s why we have Mii fighters lol
Yes, people have thought about it obviously. Though as candidate for even border-line serious discussion, it’s laughable. Hence why many people see attempts at directing discussion towards it unironically as silly and even ever-so-slightly irritating.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Alright, here's a talking point that I think most people will find fresh and unique to discuss.

As someone who plays Ultimate casually, I've noticed that a majority of the Assist Trophy characters are now basically "CPU-controlled fighters with limited movesets", compared to Brawl and Smash 4 being more focused on characters who perform a single action while summoned, and I feel like this, along with the frequency of Assist Trophies appearing if toggled on, has made casual play a bit of a clustered mess, along with the simultaneous downside of a lot of Assists being characters people wanted to see as playable.

But then, an idea came to me--as Sakurai is a well-known fanboy of SNK's works, I remembered that some of the turn-of-the-millennium King of Fighters installments introduced a Striker mechanic, where players could call upon an extra character to perform a few moves in a pinch, but these assists could be taken out of play if damaged enough.

As Trophies themselves seem to have been superseded by Spirits, I've been thinking; what if the next Smash got rid of Assist Trophies in the current sense, and instead had something similar to the Striker system as its gimmick? So for example, you could pick Link as your character and Midna as an Assist Character that can be summoned briefly with a specific input to fight alongside you, but if she gets KO'd (Assists would retain damage between summons), you can't use her anymore for the rest of the match. Obviously, these characters would need to be balanced so that none of the assists would be instant "you win" buttons, but I feel like if done right, it could freshen up gameplay without needing to rework a huge playable cast too much in the process, and it would serve as a better consolation prize for certain characters, now that the mechanic can be much more involved than just being a random item summon.

Feel free to give your thoughts on this, I'll admit that this was mainly a spur-of-the-moment thought for me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Alright, here's a talking point that I think most people will find fresh and unique to discuss.

As someone who plays Ultimate casually, I've noticed that a majority of the Assist Trophy characters are now basically "CPU-controlled fighters with limited movesets", compared to Brawl and Smash 4 being more focused on characters who perform a single action while summoned, and I feel like this, along with the frequency of Assist Trophies appearing if toggled on, has made casual play a bit of a clustered mess, along with the simultaneous downside of a lot of Assists being characters people wanted to see as playable.

But then, an idea came to me--as Sakurai is a well-known fanboy of SNK's works, I remembered that some of the turn-of-the-millennium King of Fighters installments introduced a Striker mechanic, where players could call upon an extra character to perform a few moves in a pinch, but these assists could be taken out of play if damaged enough.

As Trophies themselves seem to have been superseded by Spirits, I've been thinking; what if the next Smash got rid of Assist Trophies in the current sense, and instead had something similar to the Striker system as its gimmick? So for example, you could pick Link as your character and Midna as an Assist Character that can be summoned briefly with a specific input to fight alongside you, but if she gets KO'd (Assists would retain damage between summons), you can't use her anymore for the rest of the match. Obviously, these characters would need to be balanced so that none of the assists would be instant "you win" buttons, but I feel like if done right, it could freshen up gameplay without needing to rework a huge playable cast too much in the process, and it would serve as a better consolation prize for certain characters, now that the mechanic can be much more involved than just being a random item summon.

Feel free to give your thoughts on this, I'll admit that this was mainly a spur-of-the-moment thought for me.
I'm all for this! But only if these stand in "helper" characters fit the thematics of said playable fighter. So yes to Link and Midna. But I would find it weird to have these mixed between series.

In general, there could be characters as newcomers based around this idea too. Alear is a good example, even though there are many different ways to implement that character.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I had an idea similar to this, though it was less an Assist and more "temporarily switch to another character to give your main character time to heal and recover", if that makes any sense.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

I'd say it's better to have that as an option instead of just replacing the way Assist Trophies currently are.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I'm all for this! But only if these stand in "helper" characters fit the thematics of said playable fighter. So yes to Link and Midna. But I would find it weird to have these mixed between series.
Any weirder than choosing unrelated characters in Squad Strike? Any weirder than Solid Snake throwing a Pokeball?

Any weirder than Nintendo's Mii wearing Assassin's Creed robes with the helmet of Doom Guy and a tanuki tail being dragged away by a boss from Galaga in front of a giant Nintendog as Megalovania plays while Pong is attacking bunny-ears Sephiroth, Bellossom has put a tiny fire-breathing Enderman to sleep and a Piranha Plant wearing a Screw Attack throws a Cucco at a Rathalos before the stage suddenly shifts to Mementos from Persona?

I mean if the next console has a cool name they could use that.
Ah yes.

The Wii U 2

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Any weirder than Namco x Capcom having King and Felicia as partners? Any weirder than Project X Zone 2 having KOS-MOS and Fiora as partners? Most crossovers aren’t afraid to mix the represented series together.

Anyways:
For what it’s worth, Mio is going to be covered later this year.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

In general, there could be characters as newcomers based around this idea too. Alear is a good example, even though there are many different ways to implement that character.
I totally disagree on that. I mean, that's the whole point of a crossover, to mix things and make interaction that wouldn't normally happen. The only thing that I would accept is a "same franchise bonus" similar to spirits in Ultimate, where the assist is sligthly stronger with a character of the same franchise. But even that would cause many problem, especially because some franchise will most likely have way more assist (such as Zelda, Pokémon or Mario in comparaison to stuff like Duck hunt, Game & watch and Ice climbers), but also assists from franchise with no playable representation will offer no bonus.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'd settle for Nintendo just using AT/PokeBall as the runner up to playability and using their in game moves as inspiration for making them playable based on their identity. Alucard seems like a pretty basic fighter like little Mac did. I box with some of them like the dude from Bayonetta (?) and Spring Man .. some not so much like Akira or that crazy fast samurai dude or even that fish looking thing with the crazy movement...

They should all be playable!

Not Starman tho :088:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Gotcha. I saw Diddy brought up GS, but I was the only one who mentioned any games being sat on, so I got a little confused.

Fwiw I absolutely do think they would sit on a DK game, because DK is a big IP useful in a steady stream of year one releases, and because they have a lot of future plans for it, so they would probably want it on a system that will remain in focus for years.

For the others, sitting on them as they would sit on a project originally intended for the Switch and then moved over, I'm not sure about. But having them in the launch window for the next thing, sure. Like I said, that may just be what happens with Camelot's next game based on timing. Of course, if they existed, they could still show up before the next thing launches.

Though I would hope that Nintendo recognizes that after the next thing gets revealed, and especially after it launches, that's going to eat in to the potential performance of whatever is still released on the Switch. And IPs like GS, KI and SF, if they got a game, would release partially with the intention of gauging the audience for the future of the IP. So releasing on hardware where the successor is known if not out would be counterproductive to optimal performance. Therefore I would hope Nintendo wouldn't release them at such inopportune timing, but who knows. It seems like that may be what happens with F-Zero.

But btw, Nintendo sits on games regularly for use when it suits their schedule. FE Engage, New Horizons, Dread, MP Remaster, Skyward Sword port, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, etc. were all alleged to have been ready well before they released. It's also how they were able to pull up the release date of XC3, because it was ready. Apparently GB/GBA had been ready to drop on the NSO since before the 64/Genesis showed up. I really wouldn't be surprised by the veracity of the claims that they have the WW and TP HD ports ready to go for when they need them.

So sitting on games isn't some foreign practice for them. It's just that if you save a game intended for one system to use on another system, it then comes with the additional costs of porting it over, which may discourage some scenarios. Though games moving to the next system during development isn't that uncommon either.
To me it depends on what kind of DK game. If we're talking "just another" DKC sequel then it's less likely that they'd sit on it. If it's a radical gameplay shift like a full-on 3D, maybe even open world kind of game, then yeah that might be a more likely candidate to be held back for the new hardware. I can add that a brand new DK game sounds like a perfect fit for the current situation but these rumors have been in the mill for so long now that it only gets harder to believe them as time goes on.

With Camelot specifically, having their next project moved to the next hardware mid-development would explain a slightly longer time between releases for them. And in that case (or in the case that their next project remains on Switch), the project could indeed be Golden Sun, since there would be no reason to do Tennis or Golf again on Switch. If it's something planned from the beginning to be on the new hardware then I feel it is more likely to be a new Tennis or Golf than Golden Sun, as Nintendo is going to want that extra Mario juice to power the new hardware as soon as they can get it.

And yeah having the smaller series as twilight Switch-era games would be suboptimal for their performance, but something has to fill that void and they're more likely to use lower-key releases in that scenario. And, of course, getting these series on a suboptimal timeline still easily trumps not getting them at all.

As for the frequency of Nintendo sitting on games, I'm not convinced that it's quite as much as has been alleged; but especially given the XC3 situation, it certainly does happen relatively often. The thing, though, is that I don't want to be caught assuming that's the answer; like I alluded to before, it's a little fanciful to let yourself imagine that Nintendo has a bunch of these iconic series just waiting in the wings to swoop down and save the day at any moment. This fandom's been burned by overestimating Nintendo's output so many times already, hence why I won't rule it out but remain skeptical.

What you say at the end there is part of my skepticism as well; a lower-priority series is less likely to be moved to the new hardware mid-development due to the cost and development disruption. Though of course it's not impossible and not even without precedent.

At the end of the day I'd hope for the best possible scenario we can get for all these series. I just don't think it wise to convince yourself that these series being sat on and/or planned out as nextgen launch games is the most likely outcome, even though it's still a plausible (and highly favorable) outcome.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
To me it depends on what kind of DK game. If we're talking "just another" DKC sequel then it's less likely that they'd sit on it. If it's a radical gameplay shift like a full-on 3D, maybe even open world kind of game, then yeah that might be a more likely candidate to be held back for the new hardware. I can add that a brand new DK game sounds like a perfect fit for the current situation but these rumors have been in the mill for so long now that it only gets harder to believe them as time goes on.
Well, this is assuming its the EPD one. I don't recall genre specifics, if any were even given. But given the difference in developer, I imagine it will be immediately distinguishable from Retro's games, no matter how closely the genres align.

Unless they intentionally try to ape (heh) Retro's model, but that's not really EPD's style, so that seems unlikely.

Games aren't just "ok it's finished - release it", part of what factors into things is the strategic component of when and on what you release the title. Sometimes that results in them being sat on and/or moved to a following platform.

If they at all want to emulate the Switch's rollout of a very steady supply of big games in the first year, they'll probably have something from the MK and Odyssey teams, but they won't have Zelda, they won't have Splatoon, and they probably won't have Xenoblade. Not main titles, anyway. What they might have, is a DK game. What they also have, is future DK plans. It just has so much more utility for them as a game on the next thing than on the Switch. It's not like it's a series we get so frequently that releasing one on Switch means another would just follow in short order for the next thing.

With Camelot specifically, having their next project moved to the next hardware mid-development would explain a slightly longer time between releases for them. And in that case (or in the case that their next project remains on Switch), the project could indeed be Golden Sun, since there would be no reason to do Tennis or Golf again on Switch. If it's something planned from the beginning to be on the new hardware then I feel it is more likely to be a new Tennis or Golf than Golden Sun, as Nintendo is going to want that extra Mario juice to power the new hardware as soon as they can get it.
I mean I don't think it would be moved per say. I think, given the timing, if it is for the next system, it may have always been developed with that intent. Especially if it's Golf or Tennis, as like you say, the Switch has both of those already. But yeah, if it's GS, it could go either way.

Though I also think the "Mario juice" would be satisfied by the fact that, like I said, the Mario Kart and Odyssey teams are likely going to have something to show pretty soon, presumably for what's next. That and Nd Cube would be ready for a new release as well (though granted that doesn't have to be Mario - or for the next thing).

Tennis and Golf don't tend to show up in the launch window of consoles, probably in part because they use bigger Mario games during that timeframe to draw people in, and save the lower-profile spin-offs more as later supplements. Not that this is a rigid rule, but it does usually seem the case.

And there really isn't that much of a time difference for Camelot. Their console games have been three years apart for as long as they've done HD development. The last one came out in 2021, so if the next is 2024, that's par for the course (heh). Though making their first HD RPG, even just a remake of the first two GS games, may come with higher dev time than usual. Especially since I think EPD normally helps with providing assets for the Mario games.

Though I think that if it is GS, and it is for the Switch, based on the fact that this year seems less likely than next (unless Camelot is getting help or something) means Nintendo is doing it absolutely no favors in terms of an auspicious release.

And yeah having the smaller series as twilight Switch-era games would be suboptimal for their performance, but something has to fill that void and they're more likely to use lower-key releases in that scenario. And, of course, getting these series on a suboptimal timeline still easily trumps not getting them at all.
I think what's mostly going to fill that void is ports/remasters, maybe spin-offs. Possibly Pokemon, which usually lingers. Not to say I think there's no original titles left for Switch, but I think they're going to be pretty uncommon, especially from big series. I think TotK is probably the last original game from a major IP on the Switch. And just for the sake of clarification so there's no arguing about "major", I'm referring to FE/Metroid/Kirby level and up, including DK.

I suppose with the caveat that while I think at this point MP4 will release on the next thing, there may also be a Switch version considering how long it's been promised for Switch.

Of course, that still leaves room for a potential Uprising HD and GS1&2 HD. I agree they could go either way. I just hope they don't release at a time where knowledge or presence of what's next cannibalizes their potential.

As for the frequency of Nintendo sitting on games, I'm not convinced that it's quite as much as has been alleged; but especially given the XC3 situation, it certainly does happen relatively often. The thing, though, is that I don't want to be caught assuming that's the answer; like I alluded to before, it's a little fanciful to let yourself imagine that Nintendo has a bunch of these iconic series just waiting in the wings to swoop down and save the day at any moment. This fandom's been burned by overestimating Nintendo's output so many times already, hence why I won't rule it out but remain skeptical.
I didn't suggest any game that wasn't rumored to being sat on was being sat on, apart from DK. Though yeah, they are just claims, some may not be true. And in most of these cases, it's not like the games are being sat on for years, just months, to be used when the schedule needs. Which is often how it goes.

You save games for a dry spell, you push games into future quarters, you sit on some backups if there are delays... there's absolutely a strategy to a release schedule, and you need to have some contingencies.

Though also, look how many droughts there have been for the Switch... not many, right? Things go wrong, delays happen, there was a whole ass pandemic. But there are strategies in place to maintain a somewhat steady output, and that involves holding games back when you need to.

What you say at the end there is part of my skepticism as well; a lower-priority series is less likely to be moved to the new hardware mid-development due to the cost and development disruption. Though of course it's not impossible and not even without precedent.
Right, well I don't think something like GS or KI would be moved to a new platform, I think they would either be planned for the Switch or planned for the next thing from the jump. Or, if they were moved, they were moved at a very early stage of development.

That was my main contention with comparing them to DK, which is big enough that I do think it being moved isn't without reason. I was also just saying that smaller IPs like those could indeed still show up in a system's launch window. It's just they're usually not the priority.

At the end of the day I'd hope for the best possible scenario we can get for all these series. I just don't think it wise to convince yourself that these series being sat on and/or planned out as nextgen launch games is the most likely outcome, even though it's still a plausible (and highly favorable) outcome.
Well I don't even know if these games exist, let alone which platform they'd be for. Almost all of this is dealing with hypotheticals.

That said, I do believe the DK game exists, and I have doubts that at this point it will show up on Switch. But I'm not doing more than what I believe to be educated guessing.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Games aren't just "ok it's finished - release it", part of what factors into things is the strategic component of when and on what you release the title. Sometimes that results in them being sat on and/or moved to a following platform.

If they at all want to emulate the Switch's rollout of a very steady supply of big games in the first year, they'll probably have something from the MK and Odyssey teams, but they won't have Zelda, they won't have Splatoon, and they probably won't have Xenoblade. Not main titles, anyway. What they might have, is a DK game. What they also have, is future DK plans. It just has so much more utility for them as a game on the next thing than on the Switch. It's not like it's a series we get so frequently that releasing one on Switch means another would just follow in short order for the next thing.
Yes, I am well aware that they strategically plan the releases and don't just send things out as soon as they're finished. I will, however, reiterate that fixing up a game for new hardware if it wasn't originally planned for said hardware is a bigger deal than simply waiting to release a finished game.

Also I think you're aware of this but, just to be clear, the rumor for DK at least at one point was that it would be from the Odyssey team, so with or without DK it would be two big games, one from the MK team and the other from the Odyssey team.

Tennis and Golf don't tend to show up in the launch window of consoles, probably in part because they use bigger Mario games during that timeframe to draw people in, and save the lower-profile spin-offs more as later supplements. Not that this is a rigid rule, but it does usually seem the case.
That is a good point, and could help the chances for GS a bit (potentially giving it more of a window if Mario sports doesn't have to be ASAP on the new hardware). But the thinking was that whenever Camelot shifts development to the new console, Mario sports would likely be the top priority, again whenever that is. Unless of course another project like GS was already started for the Switch and then transferred.

And there really isn't that much of a time difference for Camelot. Their console games have been three years apart for as long as they've done HD development. The last one came out in 2021, so if the next is 2024, that's par for the course (heh). Though making their first HD RPG, even just a remake of the first two GS games, may come with higher dev time than usual. Especially since I think EPD normally helps with providing assets for the Mario games.
Right, those things have been pointed out before, my bad. There was DLC for Aces but I would need to look up again how much of the Camelot team was actually needed for that (probably not much).

I suppose with the caveat that while I think at this point MP4 will release on the next thing, there may also be a Switch version considering how long it's been promised for Switch.
Yeah MP4 is just a complete wildcard at this point. I'm still leaning towards it being a Switch-only game as throwing even further complication into that dev process seems potentially unwise. But it depends a lot on when exactly the target releases are for both that game and the next hardware itself.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Have we all given up on Metroid Prime 4 releasing on the Switch?

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Nah, it's most likely going to be a cross-gen title like BOTW was. On the Switch and the Super Nintendo Switch

I going to agree with the pile. It's a crossover with insane shenanigans already so being limited makes no sense. However thematics can still be done,

Match-ups crossverse-wise like:

Ryu and Spring-Man/Knuckle

Dr Mario and Brain Training Guy

Min-Min and Karasaki

Pikachu and Elec-Man

etc. A bit surface level but you get what i mean

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd settle for Nintendo just using AT/PokeBall as the runner up to playability and using their in game moves as inspiration for making them playable based on their identity. Alucard seems like a pretty basic fighter like little Mac did. I box with some of them like the dude from Bayonetta (?) and Spring Man .. some not so much like Akira or that crazy fast samurai dude or even that fish looking thing with the crazy movement...

They should all be playable!

Not Starman tho :088:
fish looking thing?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Again you guys seem to have misunderstood i dont want to even consider VSM in Smash until i have released my book!
And for why i havent released it yet well there are basically 0 People who have time to profread it!
I mean heck my first and second book is mostly done (Yeah they might be only 20 pages each but they are repurposed Game Scripts anyways so cut me some slack!) As well as im working again on a third book!
If i had an editor and a translator the first book would be probably out by now!
Im Just disagreeing with the sentiment that a indie character that was repurposed from game to book wouldnt make sense in smash!

Also also also the character is a self insert anyways so hes probably like 5th Party by smashboards logic!
Also x 4 Yes of course i already made all main characters as Miis (Which Moveset Wise works out really well)
Also x Final My Characters have like no chance of getting in anyways but still i like to dream okay! (and he would have some pretty snazzy moves) i really dont wanna be hounded right now so please calm down a bit!

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Yes, I am well aware that they strategically plan the releases and don't just send things out as soon as they're finished. I will, however, reiterate that fixing up a game for new hardware if it wasn't originally planned for said hardware is a bigger deal than simply waiting to release a finished game.
Sure but it's hardly overly prohibitive. Unless the system mandates some crazy revamp by virtue of its design, if most of the game is already there, it's within the realm of an upscaled port that you then finish up on the next system. For a company who has spent the gen making deluxe versions of previous games, it's not that foreign. And I don't think what's next will deviate much from the Switch's more or less standard control scheme.

And sure that comes with additional costs and dev time, but it's not that uncommon. I mean Pikmin 4 has been in some stage of development for like ten years, considering it was originally "nearing completion" in 2015. Changing a game that many times, whether across systems or conceptually, will come with a number of costs as well. And that was for Pikmin. If MP4 does end up on the next thing, it will have had quite the ride.

Also I think you're aware of this but, just to be clear, the rumor for DK at least at one point was that it would be from the Odyssey team, so with or without DK it would be two big games, one from the MK team and the other from the Odyssey team.
Sure, but if they want to recreate their Switch launch strategy, which worked very well, that involved more than two big games. It was at least three, but depending on how you count MK8D and XC2, potentially up to five within the first calendar year.

That is a good point, and could help the chances for GS a bit (potentially giving it more of a window if Mario sports doesn't have to be ASAP on the new hardware). But the thinking was that whenever Camelot shifts development to the new console, Mario sports would likely be the top priority, again whenever that is. Unless of course another project like GS was already started for the Switch and then transferred.
Could be. Though Tennis and Golf aren't necessarily killer apps (there have been consoles without one or both before), and timing-wise it still seems feasible they'd be able to fit all three on the next system if the first arrives in its first year.

There are also other options for Mario sports, such as Strikers, Sluggers, and heading back to the Olympics with that blue fella (actually I suppose that could still be a Switch game, considering those usually come out the year before the games. Or maybe cross-release?)

Of course Strikers is only at all realistic if NLG truly does now have two full teams, which there seems to be conflicting info about.

Right, those things have been pointed out before, my bad. There was DLC for Aces but I would need to look up again how much of the Camelot team was actually needed for that (probably not much).
I would imagine a small crew stays to work on the DLC while the rest go to the next thing. There was also DLC for the Golf game.

Tbh I would be surprised if we got the next Camelot game this year. It's possible we find out what it is, though.

Yeah MP4 is just a complete wildcard at this point. I'm still leaning towards it being a Switch-only game as throwing even further complication into that dev process seems potentially unwise. But it depends a lot on when exactly the target releases are for both that game and the next hardware itself.
Though if it wasn't to be ready until close to when the Switch's userbase falls precipitously, if only for the sake of posterity and the existing investment, it might make sense to move that to the next system or have a cross-release.

I mean imagine if they're already advertising next gen games concurrently with MP4. Probably won't help.

Also they might actually want to use the game as a technical showpiece for the new system's power, since Metroid doesn't lean heavily on a cartoony or hyperstylistic artstyle, uncommon for first-party Nintendo. I mean, assuming it looks good. Though Retro seemed to nail the MP1 remake.

Have we all given up on Metroid Prime 4 releasing on the Switch?
No but I think if it does it will only be to honor the years of them saying that it would, with the next system being what it actually gets prioritized/optimized/advertised for.

So I guess I've given up on getting MP4 before the new console comes out.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Again you guys seem to have misunderstood i dont want to even consider VSM in Smash until i have released my book!
And for why i havent released it yet well there are basically 0 People who have time to profread it!
I mean heck my first and second book is mostly done (Yeah they might be only 20 pages each but they are repurposed Game Scripts anyways so cut me some slack!) As well as im working again on a third book!
If i had an editor and a translator the first book would be probably out by now!
Im Just disagreeing with the sentiment that a indie character that was repurposed from game to book wouldnt make sense in smash!

Also also also the character is a self insert anyways so hes probably like 5th Party by smashboards logic!
Also x 4 Yes of course i already made all main characters as Miis (Which Moveset Wise works out really well)
Also x Final My Characters have like no chance of getting in anyways but still i like to dream okay! (and he would have some pretty snazzy moves) i really dont wanna be hounded right now so please calm down a bit!
oracle i think the idea is that this isn't the thread to talk about it. if it was i'd be flogging my books all the time

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
oracle i think the idea is that this isn't the thread to talk about it. if it was i'f be flogging my books all the time
This is one reason I think a detailed character creator for Smash beyond just Miis would be awesome. My brother and I have created tons of original characters ourselves for a game that we hope to finish some day. Since there’s basically no chance that our little game would ever be big enough to officially get in Smash, this would be a fun way to still get to play as them in some way. The same is true for anyone else that’s created their own characters. Miis don’t really help much with that. It’s hard to make a Mii look like a specific character you’ve already created and they always look really simple and goofy, which doesn’t really translate well for many characters.

Until then, modding is always an option. We can make 3D models of our characters in Blender and port them over existing characters with fitting movesets in Smash.

On a side note, if you’re worried about a character being classified as a game character, you can always make an interactive visual novel rather than a book. Characters like Okabe from Stein’s Gate can arguably be considered as game characters. Although if Smash ever gets to the point that they’re adding characters from small independent games like the ones we could make ourselves, I think they’d have likely moved well beyond that restriction in the first place. I think Goku is immensely more likely than any character my brother and I have created even if ours originated in a video game.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
oracle i think the idea is that this isn't the thread to talk about it. if it was i'f be flogging my books all the time
Yeah i guess Maybe someone could make a next smash disscusion for stuff like Your Own Creations and fourth partys Again to just allow people to just nerd out about their unrealistic smash Pipe dreams!

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Could be. Though Tennis and Golf aren't necessarily killer apps (there have been consoles without one or both before), and timing-wise it still seems feasible they'd be able to fit all three on the next system if the first arrives in its first year.

There are also other options for Mario sports, such as Strikers, Sluggers, and heading back to the Olympics with that blue fella (actually I suppose that could still be a Switch game, considering those usually come out the year before the games. Or maybe cross-release?)

Of course Strikers is only at all realistic if NLG truly does now have two full teams, which there seems to be conflicting info about.
Even assuming they have two teams, I highly doubt NGL is already on another Strikers game. My guess is that they're probably already on Luigi's mansion 4 considering how big the third game was (12 million sales), and it could maybe be a first year title for the next gen Nintendo console. If they do have a second project, my guess is that it would be either a Punch-out game, or simply a new IP. I don't see the point of doing another Strikers this early to be honest.

If a new Mario sluggers do actually exist, I actually think it could release on Switch. It would probably be developped by Bandai Namco like past titles in the franchise, and I could see it being announced this summer and released early this fall, as one of the last "big" Switch exclusives. I don't think Sluggers is the type of game that really need to be held off for next gen.

Sure, but if they want to recreate their Switch launch strategy, which worked very well, that involved more than two big games. It was at least three, but depending on how you count MK8D and XC2, potentially up to five within the first calendar year.
I think Nintendo could have a strong first year for their next console. Looking at their studios, here's what team I could easily see having a game ready for launch:
-EPD 4: This is the team that make smaller scale family game. They released a game almost every year on Switch (2017 was 1-2 switch, 2018 was Nintendo labo, 2019 was Ring fit, 2021 was Game builder garage and 2022 Switch sports). With how fast they release game, they could have a party game ready for the next console, or maybe a Ring fit sequel considering how huge Ring fit was.
-EPD 8: This is the 3d Mario team. Their last game is Bowser's fury, and their last big title is actually Odyssey. Rumors is that they're working on a 3d DK game, which I can see launching with their next console.
-EPD 9: This is the Mario kart team, and they also made Arms. They made nothing since Arms and they're just working on the MK8DX DLC, so I could easily see them having a MK9 at launch.
-NDCube: They usually have a very fast release schedule and Mario party game are actually a fairly big deal, I could see them having another party games ready for the next console already.
-Intelligent systems: Like NDCube, they have a very fast release schedule. Rumors is that they're working on some FE remake, and this could maybe be moved for the next console.
-Retro studios: They're still on Metroid prime 4, but at this point I could see it being a cross gen title.
-Platinum games: Not a Nintendo studios, but they work often with Nintendo and we know that they had some idea for Astral chain 2, so maybe it could happen for the next console.
-Koei tecmo: Again, not a Nintendo studios, but they often work together on Warriors game, and those games have very fast release schedule too, so maybe they could have a Mario warriors or something ready for the next console similar to Fire emblem warriors who released on the Switch first year.

There's others studios but I'm not going to mention them because I doubt they would have a game ready if they very recently released a big game (such as Monolith with Xeno 3, EPD 3 with TOTK and EPD 10 with Pikmin 4). But I still have 8 potential games that I could think of (a party game by EPD 4, a 3d DK, Mario kart 9, a Mario party, Fire emblem, Prime 4 as cross gen, Astral chain 2 and a new Nintendo warriors). Of course I'm just speculating and I could be totally wrong, but even assuming only 5 of my prediction acually happen and they have only, say 3d DK, Mario kart 9, Prime 4 as a cross gen title, an EPD 4 party game and a Fire emblem remake, I think it would be a solid line up for a first year. I mean, Mario kart 9 alone would be huge enough imo to sell the console like hot cakes.

Top Bottom