• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
he and Sakurai came to the consensus that everyone is technically the protagonist of ARMS.
That doesn't make it true though. They're just twisting the definition of protagonist to justify their character choice.

But Doom in the middle ages lol? It sounds so weird but it's probably going to work well.
I doubt it's going to be "Doom in the Medieval era." It's probably a prequel set around the Night Sentinels. Their an ancient order of holy warriors in the Doom universe, but they still have sci-fi weaponry.

You've been called out for this dozens of times now.
Maybe you should stop calling them out then.

You're not their boss. Stop telling other users what they can or can't do.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Lethal Company's the one where the monster comes if you talk too loud right? I don't see how it could work into Smash, but then again I've never played it lol
Thats only one monster the eyeless hound! There are tons of monsters from zombies that infect players over lootbugs that horde Scrap (your goal)!
And than there are atleast 10 More!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Lethal Company's the one where the monster comes if you talk too loud right? I don't see how it could work into Smash, but then again I've never played it lol
Lethal Company is a multiplayer game where you go into dangerous areas and grab items for profit, including things like shovels and road signs, which can be used as weapons. I imagine a character like that would be an item based character with a down special that acts like Vegeta Pull, but summons things like giant gears, beehives, bike horns, and so on. Each item would have their own strengths and weaknesses, giving you a game plan that's very reminiscent of Faust.

Not that I think Lethal Company will be getting a character. The idea would be cool though.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yeeeeah a new Doom game!
But Doom in the middle ages lol? It sounds so weird but it's probably going to work well.
It could be expanding on the bits from Doom Eternal's backstory that take place between Doom 64 and Doom (2016); that part had a medieval theme to it.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
1716646801375.png

This is a roster made with my renders! Although the text is buggy!
And yes ive Edited and collected over 150 Renders for your using pleasure!
Im also going to do a new FE/ XB/ Pokemon Char Placeholder because that comes up often in disscusion but ill use VSM Characters for those!
I dont Know if there are any rights issues i didnt really credit anyone?
If anyone sees there fanart in my collected renders tell me and ill add a readme with your name!
Than again its smash we use fan resources all the time!
Also how do you find the roster! Its a bit small because i was exhausted from collecting OVER 150 Pngs and editing them!

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 389972
Im also going to do a new FE/ XB/ Pokemon Char Placeholder because that comes up often in disscusion but ill use VSM Characters for those!
If anyone sees there fanart in my collected renders tell me and ill add a readme with your name!
Also how do you find the roster! Its a bit small because i was exhausted from collecting OVER 150 Pngs and editing them!
My criticism:
. I doubt they'll cut Greninja, the most popular pokemon and keep Incineroar.
. I doubt they'll cut Rosalina for Geno.
. I doub they're cutting isabelle, we'll probably have 3 AC reps.
. I think they'll add a Astral Chain rep
. Sakurai not cutting Palutena, KIU is its child.
. No Bayonetta, Ryu and Terry? I doubt they'll cut those 3rdparties.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
View attachment 389972
I‘d like this SSB6 roster, and here’s my constructive feedback that I’d want to highlight:
I like seeing Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer, and Isaac on the roster.
Spyro seems like a cool newcomer.
The other newcomers feel like reasonable choices overall.
I find the omissions of Diddy Kong, Isabelle, and Capcom jarring admittedly even if I don’t use them often.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 389972
  • Im alsogoing to do a new FE/ XB/ Pokemon Char Placeholder because that comes up often in disscusion but ill use VSM Characters for those!
Okay. Here we go:
  • I doubt Toad gets in over Rosalina or Junior. And having Geno, but no Cloud/Hero? Where’s the consistency?
  • No clones? I’m guessing this roster doesn’t take clones into account.
  • No Capcom? That’s strange. I’d at least expect Ryu to stay if we’re only doing one per company (sorry Mega Man).
  • Or not, apparently. Steve and Spyro? If you want a major Scrimblo, Crash is right there, owned by the same company.
  • I just don’t think we’re getting indies. Sans is neat, but it’s kind of out of character.

osby

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 389972
Cutting Cloud, Sora, Mega Man, Ryu, Snake, Simon and Kazuya only to add Spyro is definitely a choice and by that I mean a terrible one.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The community’s relationship with Diddy Kong is really odd sometimes. I personally don’t really click with his gameplay and I think he lacks a certain flair a lot of other characters have built up over time, but he needs to be here. If anything I just hope they freshen him up a bit. I’m not sure why I see random rosters or youtube videos act like he’s expendable.

Same with Isabelle, where I can understand looking at a semiclone and processing her as a lower priority character… but taking even one step outside of the Smash bubble reveals how omnipresent and important this character is to the Nintendo brand. She’s one of the most essential new additions to the series and is just as relevant today as she was when she was initially added.

I won’t even get into the third parties, lately I just don’t enjoy talking about it very much. But I mean, cutting Capcom altogether is an obvious misstep.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Diddy definitely has his fans and I think most realistic roster predictions include him, but he's not often felt like a fighter that many in hardcore Smash fandom or even some DKC fans are ultra enthused about. His trickier style of play and (for some) the emphasis on monkey elements over things from the Donkey Kong games proper means few outright disliking him at the cost of fewer outright loving him.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Honestly, I feel like this in-between period of Smash games is a perfect litmus test of whether or not Smash fans truly care about the franchises represented. For example, obviously there’s going to be cuts, but I feel like some fans severely downplay the importance of some veterans like Ike.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, I feel like this in-between period of Smash games is a perfect litmus test of whether or not Smash fans truly care about the franchises represented. For example, obviously there’s going to be cuts, but I feel like some fans severely downplay the importance of some veterans like Ike.
It's really obvious a lot of Smash fans don't play the video games the characters are from.

So many really only play Smash.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I think it could also be a test of whether Smash fans care about modern Nintendo as a whole. A new game will bring new faces, but to a lot of people, that means older characters may never get their chance to shine.

Leaning too hard on seniority will make younger players who grew up with modern Nintendo feel alienated. But at the same time, a 180 shift towards new faces will alienate older fans.

A lot of people are all too happy to trim down younger series that only got their first or second face in Ultimate.

I think people should at least be prepared for the possibility that once prominent series within and outside of Smash get their representation reduced.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's really obvious a lot of Smash fans don't play the video games the characters are from.

I don't only play Super Smash Bros., but I have been playing games less and less over the years. As far as Smash's fighter franchises, I'm mostly unfamiliar with the 3rd parties, as I generally don't even keep up with their games.

If you're curious as to what I've played:
Own Games From:
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Metroid
  • Kirby
  • Pokémon
  • Fire Emblem
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Mega Man
  • Mii
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Street Fighter (I got the collection, but never really got into it because I couldn't figure out how to play)
  • ARMS
Have Played:
  • Yoshi
  • Star Fox
  • Ice Climber
  • Wii Fit (Kinda, I just did a weigh in and it told me I'm fat because my balance was off and the height and weight info was for a different person)
  • Pac-Man (If Pac-Man Party counts)
  • Castlevania
  • Minecraft
No Experience With:
  • EarthBound
  • F-Zero
  • Game & Watch
  • WarioWare
  • Metal Gear
  • Pikmin
  • Robot
  • Animal Crossing
  • PUNCH-OUT!!
  • Duck Hunt
  • Final Fantasy VII (Did play the MMO, but thought it was eh)
  • Bayonetta
  • Splatoon
  • Persona
  • Dragon Quest
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Fatal Fury
  • Tekken
  • Kingdom Hearts
EDIT: The funny thing about Wii Fit calling me fat is that at the time, I was really tall for my age, making me about as tall as the guy who's profile I was using despite him being an adult. I was also extremely thin, weighing in at about 45 lbs., so it telling me that I was overweight was just the funniest thing.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If that's the Smash Bros. Roster Maker, then if you hold down the right mouse on the text after you've finished typing it and drag the mouse left or right, it'll resize the text. That'll help you keep your words from getting cut off.

Also how do you find the roster!
I do not care for this 3rd Party massacre.

checks his Switch installs

Ghosts 'N Goblins Resurrection
Contra: Operation Galuga
River City: Rival Showdown
River City Saga: Three Kingdoms
Bubble Bobble 4 Friends

At least I seem to be putting my money where my mouth is.

I really need WayForward/Inti Creates to make a new 2D Ninja Gaiden game...

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If that's the Smash Bros. Roster Maker, then if you hold down the right mouse on the text after you've finished typing it and drag the mouse left or right, it'll resize the text. That'll help you keep your words from getting cut off.

I do not care for this 3rd Party massacre.

checks his Switch installs

Ghosts 'N Goblins Resurrection
Contra: Operation Galuga
River City: Rival Showdown
River City Saga: Three Kingdoms
Bubble Bobble 4 Friends

At least I seem to be putting my money where my mouth is.

I really need WayForward/Inti Creates to make a new 2D Ninja Gaiden game...
How is Operation Galuga? I really want to get it but I’m still working on my backlog of games I already own before I buy anything new. I’m trying to finally beat Tears of the Kingdom right now.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to sound rude, but someone not caring about if certain character returns or not is not downplaying their importance, they just simply don't care or don't think it's worth getting upset over videogames.
For example, I wouldn't care much if Sheik or Bowser Jr got cut, but that doesn't mean i think they're worthless or something , i just simlpy have not much anything to say if they gets cut.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The community’s relationship with Diddy Kong is really odd sometimes. I personally don’t really click with his gameplay and I think he lacks a certain flair a lot of other characters have built up over time, but he needs to be here. If anything I just hope they freshen him up a bit. I’m not sure why I see random rosters or youtube videos act like he’s expendable.

Same with Isabelle, where I can understand looking at a semiclone and processing her as a lower priority character… but taking even one step outside of the Smash bubble reveals how omnipresent and important this character is to the Nintendo brand. She’s one of the most essential new additions to the series and is just as relevant today as she was when she was initially added.

I won’t even get into the third parties, lately I just don’t enjoy talking about it very much. But I mean, cutting Capcom altogether is an obvious misstep.
Others have mentioned this already, but it kinda boils down to bias. A lot of Smash fans haven't gotten into Donkey Kong, not helped by the fact that DK hasn't gotten many games during the Switch era. This means they only have Smash to go off of, where Diddy's a tricky fighter who makes loud monkey shrieks and doesn't check a lot of the boxes traditionally seen as "cool."

I think there's also a bit of relevancy bias involved. Maybe it's just me, but now that we have every single veteran back in Ultimate they're kinda taken for granted, especially if there aren't a lot of people clamoring for a revamp. Since Ultimate's speculation scene focused on the big hype newcomers more than anything, people end up geared towards new fighters as a priority. And again, characters from series that aren't currently "relevant" tend to get overlooked a lot, so DKC's dormancy means Diddy gets pushed for the side. Hell, I fell victim to that myself with my old roster, where I only focused on the Switch, prioritized newcomers, and yes, ended up dropping Diddy, so I admittedly have a personal insight to that sort of mindset

That said there's really no excuse to blank on Isabelle. Like, I went to the Nintendo store in Japan, and all the paper bags for the products specifically had Isabelle and a female Villager on them. If you go to the Nintendo Store to buy Nintendo Things, you are going to see Isabelle and that speaks volumes about how hard she's being pushed

Gengar84

Smash Hero
View attachment 389972
There are a few cool newcomers here like Raven Beak, Impa, Toad, and Isaac but I don’t think they make up for what we’re losing. I know that this is entirely subjective but the roster doesn’t really click with me as a whole despite some good additions. Losing Sephiroth, K. Rool and Lucario along with several other favorites just makes it kind of hard to get excited for the roster. I’ve also never really cared about Spyro or Sans much but I’d be happy for those that do.

Oracle Link

Smash Master

I dont hate Diddy i just wanted to show of some new icons i made TBH!
Same with Isabelle!
I mean i dont even like geno but hes popular so i had to include him!
In general before you criticise me (instead of the roster) look at the huge collection of pngs i made Other than a bit of zelda and kirby bias i mostly tried to be fair! (except Waluigi he has to wait just something about him makes me itch!)
I even included multiple popular hit third parties and stuff yet no one helps me with a couple of nice low res pngs :-(

Also you have to add entire rows and i like having the rows be orderd im just that autistic!

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman

Sorry, but this sounds kind of elitist.
Whats exactly wrong if someone likes Smash Bros but has only played let's say: Mario, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade and Dragon Quest from the roster?
A lot of people started playing Smash Bros with knowing like 5% of the roster, one of my friends is a competitive smash player and has only played Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Minecraft and Kingdom Hearts from the roster.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I don't only play Super Smash Bros., but I have been playing games less and less over the years. As far as Smash's fighter franchises, I'm mostly unfamiliar with the 3rd parties, as I generally don't even keep up with their games.

Own Games From:
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Metroid
  • Kirby
  • Pokémon
  • Fire Emblem
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Mega Man
  • Mii
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Street Fighter (I got the collection, but never really got into it because I couldn't figure out how to play)
  • ARMS
Have Played:
  • Yoshi
  • Star Fox
  • Ice Climber
  • Wii Fit (Kinda, I just did a weigh in and it told me I'm fat because my balance was off and the height and weight info was for a different person)
  • Castlevania
  • Minecraft
No Experience With:
  • EarthBound
  • F-Zero
  • Game & Watch
  • WarioWare
  • Metal Gear
  • Pikmin
  • Robot
  • Animal Crossing
  • PUNCH-OUT!!
  • Duck Hunt
  • Bayonetta
  • Splatoon
  • Persona
  • Dragon Quest
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Fatal Fury
  • Tekken
  • Kingdom Hearts
Metal Gear ... I used to say it was a must play and you're missing out and blah blah but it's so old lol but if you ever have a chance check it out!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Atleast one advantage from having my roster being shot to pieces (granted it was a rushed one with focus on icluding some pngs from my collection)
Is this I was made aware that female Villager prefferers Exist so i will add this one to the collection:
1716662402158.png
However i wont add all 8 but maybe ill add Black Inklings/Villagers?

On a diffrent note i included/ will Include these newcomers into the Png Collection:
Toad
Geno
Dixie
Impa
Some Links, Zeldas and ganons from my earlier collection
Skullkid
Bandana Dee
Magolor
Raven Baek
Samus (Returns)
Spring Man
Tom Nook
Porky
Isaac
Ring Fit Trainee (Female)
Black shadow
Alear Female
Takamaru
Octoling (Splatoon 3)
Zero
Chunli
Eggman
Shadow
Slime (i just think theyre neat)
Spyro
Crash
Master Chief
Doomslayer
Scorpion Sans
The Human (Frisk)
Vault Boy
Videospiel-Man (In a Me Folder at the end)
Obviously a bit of bias is there but this was a lot of work cut me some slack!
I would like to have a list of 10 Characters (4 Nintendo, 6 Third Party)
That should be included amongst the newcomers
And BTW every major alt from ultimate is in that collection!

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Own Games From:
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Metroid
  • Kirby
  • Pokémon
  • Fire Emblem
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Mega Man
  • Mii
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • ARMS
Have Played:
  • Yoshi
  • Star Fox
  • Ice Climber
  • Castlevania
  • Minecraft
No Experience With:
  • EarthBound
  • F-Zero
  • Game & Watch
  • WarioWare
  • Metal Gear
  • Pikmin
  • Robot
  • Animal Crossing
  • PUNCH-OUT!!
  • Duck Hunt
  • Bayonetta
  • Splatoon
  • Persona
  • Dragon Quest
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Fatal Fury
  • Tekken
  • Kingdom Hearts
EDIT: The funny thing about Wii Fit calling me fat is that at the time, I was really tall for my age, making me about as tall as the guy who's profile I was using despite him being an adult. I was also extremely thin, weighing in at about 45 lbs., so it telling me that I was overweight was just the funniest thing.
I’ve been playing less games lately too but there’s a lot that I’m still interested in when I have free time. I tend to buy more games than I have time to play so I’ve been holding off buying much until I beat what I already have.

Here’s my play experience with Smash franchises:

Own games in the series:

Mario
Yoshi
Zelda
Pokemon
Donkey Kong
Fire Emblem
Kirby
Xenoblade
Metroid
StarFox
F-Zero
Final Fantasy
Persona
Street Fighter
Mega Man
Banjo-Kazooie
Wii Fit
Duck Hunt
Bayonetta
Kingdom Hearts
Kid Icarus
Sonic the Hedgehog
Dragon Quest

Played but never owned:

Castlevania
Metal Gear
Wario Ware
Tekken

No experience:

Punch Out
Animal Crossing
Pikmin
Minecraft
King of Fighters
ARMS
Splatoon
Earthbound
Game & Watch
ROB
Ice Climbers

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I’ve been playing less games lately too but there’s a lot that I’m still interested in when I have free time. I tend to buy more games than I have time to play so I’ve been holding off buying much until I beat what I already have.

Here’s my play experience with Smash franchises:

Own games in the series:

Mario
Yoshi
Zelda
Pokemon
Donkey Kong
Fire Emblem
Kirby
Xenoblade
Metroid
F-Zero
Final Fantasy
Persona
Street Fighter
Mega Man
Banjo-Kazooie
Wii Fit
Duck Hunt
Bayonetta
Kid Icarus
Sonic the Hedgehog
Dragon Quest

Played but never owned:

Castlevania
Metal Gear
Wario Ware
Tekken

No experience:

Punch Out
Animal Crossing
Pikmin
Minecraft
King of Fighters
ARMS
Splatoon
Earthbound
Game & Watch
ROB
Ice Climbers
I havent played that many new games either, not because there's no games that interest me, im just simply a bit lazy those days, i will probably buy them someday (and at a lower price, hehe).
I'm lately been playing Fortnite or replaying some old PS2 games like Dragon Quest VIII or other retro games like Smash 64 (yeah, lol)

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don't want to sound rude, but someone not caring about if certain character returns or not is not downplaying their importance, they just simply don't care or don't think it's worth getting upset over videogames.
For example, I wouldn't care much if Sheik or Bowser Jr got cut, but that doesn't mean i think they're worthless or something , i just simlpy have not much anything to say if they gets cut.
It is downplaying because for the most part, those same people won't care or get upset if a character they don't for gets cut, but will go on a tirade for when a character they do like gets cut over a character they don't care for. Some people do not want to admit that a character they don't care for is just as likely if not more likely to stay than a character they do like.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sorry, but this sounds kind of elitist.
Whats exactly wrong if someone likes Smash Bros but has only played let's say: Mario, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade and Dragon Quest from the roster?
A lot of people started playing Smash Bros with knowing like 5% of the roster, one of my friends is a competitive smash player and has only played Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Minecraft and Kingdom Hearts from the roster.
Nothing's wrong with not playing games. Not everyone has the time, desire or resources to play every game out there. Some games may not even appeal to them. Heck, I don't really like Animal Crossing.

But at the same time, its obnoxious to hear people dismiss franchises and characters just because they aren't familiar with them. As a big Dragon Quest fan, it must have been really annoying when people were purposely downplaying the franchise's merits while you knew its true value, right? It's the refusal to expand horizons that annoys me. Like, hey its something you weren't familiar with, let's give it a shot before we say its stupid, ya know?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Nothing's wrong with not playing games. Not everyone has the time, desire or resources to play every game out there. Some games may not even appeal to them. Heck, I don't really like Animal Crossing.

But at the same time, its obnoxious to hear people dismiss franchises and characters just because they aren't familiar with them. As a big Dragon Quest fan, it must have been really annoying when people were purposely downplaying the franchise's merits while you knew its true value, right? It's the refusal to expand horizons that annoys me. Like, hey its something you weren't familiar with, let's give it a shot before we say its stupid, ya know?
I think it’s fine to say something doesn’t particularly interest you but it’s good to keep an open mind. Maybe the character will surprisingly click with you in their playstyle despite never playing their games. Terry’s a good example for me. I find him a ton of fun to play but my only experience with his games is maybe 3 minutes in a Chinese Restaurant waiting room. I’d be more hyped for characters I have an existing affinity to but I’m happy to be surprised with something unexpected.

Top Bottom