• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I still think they should just recreate this scene. Sephiroth is based on Advent Children, a friggin' movie, we can reference the F-Zero anime
I always thought it would be cool if we got an unmasked Andy Summer or Ryu Suzaku alt, or an animation of the helmet flying away in a similar Final Smash sequence. I want to know which one is under that helmet. :surprise:

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I always thought it would be cool if we got an unmasked Andy Summer or Ryu Suzaku alt, or an animation of the helmet flying away in a similar Final Smash sequence. I want to know which one is under that helmet. :surprise:
Devimon is that you?
(The ost sounded like a digimon evolution theme!)

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
  • Multiversus seems to really be the first attempt at going all in on the game idea with the funding to pull it off. I've heard there are aspects of the game play that were super rough, but it was also a beta so I guess I'll find out how well it actually does in the coming months.
tbh, i think playstation-all stars is better than multiversus.
PSABR while had a weaker roster feels less floaty and weird to play, i think PSABR nedeed more modes, its the problem of most platform fighter crossovers, they ignore the side content.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
tbh, i think playstation-all stars is better than multiversus.
PSABR while had a weaker roster feels less floaty and weird to play, i think PSABR nedeed more modes, its the problem of most platform fighter crossovers, they ignore the side content.
I didn't grow up with PlayStation games since most of the ones I did see were either too old for me or just didn't appeal to me, so the roster was never a problem for me. Neither did the game play, though with some characters having to build up level 3 supers in order to score K.O.s while others can just go "haha spin kick go brrr" or "YEEET!" with just their level 1's I can see where the balancing issues absolutely destroy the game at higher skill levels.

I also really liked the rivals system in the arcade mode, even if it didn't entirely make sense.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
The big problem with the genre as of now is the lack of innovation of Smash? Besides Multiversus, which is free and has Superman, is that they don’t innovate as much as they should. I mean look at the fighting game boom of the early to mid 90’s. You had a ton of innovation. Innovation in controls, dimensions, roster sizes, training modes, airdashing, METER, teams, hazards and wonky layouts even. Yet when we look at platform fighters, how much has really changed from Smash? Rivals has a different design philosophy, but the only real innovation so far has been meter in NASB2. Thus making consumers question why they should play this game over Smash, which has 75 characters in base and an easy to purchase Minecraft Steve for $6. In order to give Smash some competition, beyond Multiversus, which isn’t even guaranteed to be a hit again, is innovation beyond how characters are designed, really challenging how the genre operates and going from there.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Rivals has a different design philosophy, but the only real innovation so far has been meter in NASB2. Thus making consumers question why they should play this game over Smash, which has 75 characters in base and an easy to purchase Minecraft Steve for $6. In order to give Smash some competition, beyond Multiversus, which isn’t even guaranteed to be a hit again, is innovation beyond how characters are designed, really challenging how the genre operates and going from there.
I dunno.
  • Rivals of Aether removes shields and ledges, making movement a much bigger part of the game play. Also, everyone is built like a BlazBlue character.
  • Rivals of Aether 2 adds them back, but has getup and ledge special moves, as well as a special pummel attack.
  • Nickelodeon All Star Brawl 2 has the aforementioned meter that can be used for roman cancels, bursts, or supers.
    • The previous game also introduced a new block system and the ability to grab projectiles.
  • Icons: Combat Arena also has a sort of roman cancel/burst system.
  • Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale was built around instant K.O. supers.
  • Multiversus is built around doubles rather than singles, and has a lot of passive and status mechanics that you don't see anywhere else, as well as mechanics built to play off of an ally.
  • Brawlhalla is built around items.
  • Fraymakers has air dashes and assists.
  • Combo Devils fine tuned shield mechanics, made a new health system, and implemented a cool combo system.
It's not like they're not trying new things. It's just that differences between fighting games tend to be subtle from a casual glance. Honestly I think the only thing you could say being at all stagnant is that most of these games are based off of Super Smash Bros. Melee in terms of game feel, but even then they're all different takes on the idea.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Honestly the response to Combo Devils so far proves my point since that game has changed a ton. Not discrediting the other games, but in comparison to Combo Devils, even at a casual level of gameplay you can tell “yeah this isn’t Smash”, which is always a good thing.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shantae can't even be considered an indie character at this point, because WayForward is well past the point of being an indie studio. They have multiple dev teams and over 100 employees at this point.
Oh but Steve is?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Smash Bros is probably the best video game crossover of all time, but it has competition - Fortnite is hot on it's trail. That got me wondering - what FN characters are likely to be in the next Smash game? I'm only looking at the Gaming Legends series, because I have a hunch they won't add Ariana Grande or Han Solo anytime soon. Jonesy is there to represent the idea of Fortnite itself being added. Tiers are mostly ordered, with the exeption of Jonesy (he would be before Raiden) and Alan Wake (he would probably be before generic goat)
View attachment 388340
Two new Gaming Legends skins have been added to fortnite! The T-60 Power Armor from Fallout 4 and somebody from Lethal Company
1716577648212.png

1716577456183.png

Gonna put both of these quite squarely in the "Very Unlikely" tier. Fallout getting a character isn't impossible, but I doubt it would be this specific armor, and before today I had never heard of Lethal Company.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Honestly the response to Combo Devils so far proves my point since that game has changed a ton. Not discrediting the other games, but in comparison to Combo Devils, even at a casual level of gameplay you can tell “yeah this isn’t Smash”, which is always a good thing.
Uronically, NASB2 is the only one that looked like smash to me in first glance, even though it introduced really neat ideas like the slime metter and smash aerials.
NASB1, Multiversus and Playstation All-Stars all felt diferent from Smash when i saw them in trailers.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Two new Gaming Legends skins have been added to fortnite! The T-60 Power Armor from Fallout 4 and somebody from Lethal Company
View attachment 389915
View attachment 389914
Gonna put both of these quite squarely in the "Very Unlikely" tier. Fallout getting a character isn't impossible, but I doubt it would be this specific armor, and before today I had never heard of Lethal Company.
I'm genuinely shocked you haven't heard of Lethal Company before now. It's arguably one of the biggest indie phenomena of the year.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 389915
View attachment 389914
If a Fallout character was added I imagine they would be a genericised protagonist in power armour, in which case I think it's pretty possible that the T-60 armour would be a skin, it's the iconic armour for Fallout 4 in the same way the T-51 is on the cover of Fallout 1 and the T-45 is on the cover of Fallout 3. Under that metric I'd say you should def bump down the TES collab character anyways, because they're a generic Nord from TES Online and not a specific protagonist.

And yeah Lethal Company was a huge hit, it had over 200K active players on Steam and is still very popular. It's a pretty cool game.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
View attachment 389915
View attachment 389914
Lethal Company is a really fun game i highly suggest playing or wachting Multiplayer Rounds! Its Horror but thanks to the multiplayer you´ll Laugh your ass of! The Stop sign is a weapon you can find in a dungeon in that game! Its a reskin of the shovel the default weapon!
The Airtank well... is just an airtank because your in space!
Also that "someone" is just the default (and only) Playermodel! Meaning its not a character its just a suit provided by the Company!

But yeah most ill see is a spirit!
It definitly gets tons of updates compared to other "hit" Games!
I watched amongus and other games like that but lethal is straight up one of the best IMO!

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
View attachment 389915
View attachment 389914
Woah. I knew Lethal Company was big, but for it to get FORTNITE content this early?? When it isn't even a year old?? I'm not complaining, I'm just... really impressed. The game was made by one guy, and it isn't even out of early access, and yet here we are. This stuff is genuinely nuts.

I never really considered Lethal Company stuff for Smash even though I've played the game a lot. It felt like way too recent of a breakout indie hit, but seeing this crossover gives the idea a modicum of merit in my eyes. Granted, I still don't think it's likely at all; but going from expecting literally nothing to "well never say never" is a significant jump.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
If a Fallout character was added I imagine they would be a genericised protagonist in power armour, in which case I think it's pretty possible that the T-60 armour would be a skin, it's the iconic armour for Fallout 4 in the same way the T-51 is on the cover of Fallout 1 and the T-45 is on the cover of Fallout 3.
Vault boy , to me is the MOST likely 3rd party Mii costume to become a playable character.

Fallout got a very good 1st season

89% audience score

for the power armor i expect it to come as a spirit.

The Black Omen

Smash Rookie
Lethal Company's the one where the monster comes if you talk too loud right? I don't see how it could work into Smash, but then again I've never played it lol

Last edited:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
Vault boy , to me is the MOST likely 3rd party Mii costume to become a playable character.

89% audience score

It's possible. It's one of those things where a huge TV series reaches a much more mainstream audience than a huge videogame in most cases. The Ghoul from the show is more well known than probably any aspect of Fallout from the games.

In terms of Smash, I could see a playable character going two ways, the power armour is iconic to the series and is on the cover of every game, but it's associated specifically with the Brotherhood of Steel and so is something not every player will encounter or get if they go for different factions or paths, it's less of a universal appearance than most of the customisable RPG characters in Smash. On the flipside, the more standard vault outfit is a universal appearance that every player will start out with and is also iconic to the series, representing the most default look, but it doesn't have the cover recognition of power armor and it would mean the face and body are exposed, so you'd need to create alts for the various customisale looks of the protagonist, which would be a bit trickier with a realistic looking human compared to other RPG protags in the game.

In either case, I think if Fallout were to get a playable represenation, it would be likelier that it's a protagonist as opposed to Vault Boy. I think the dev team almost always favours protagonists over mascots because the ethos in most cases is to be as faithful to the original game as possible both superficially and playstyle wise, and that's always captured best by the character you actually play as.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Idk why you guys are using the JP/EU name for the series when it's clearly called Vault Boy. :p

Jokes aside, Fallout is underrated as a pick, as the fanbase seems to focus solely on Doom to the exclusion of two other very popular Bethesda IP. Fallout, like Skyrim, is also a lot bigger in Japan than Doom is.

Though Skyrim/ES is bigger, and Doom Slayer is more requested, (and for whatever it may or may not be worth, both have more/bigger Nintendo attendance), so I'm not sure exactly what Fallout's hook would be. Nonetheless, it's still overlooked given its size and prevalence.

My assumption is that Fallout is one series the mascot may trump the protagonist in likeliness. It's not like some power armor-clad protag couldn't happen, but Vault Boy overarchs across titles, is the face of the series, and is overall more recognizable. I think he'd represent the series as a whole better. Fwiw, that's also who got the costume, not the protag.

Obviously for Fortnite, a normal-proportioned human works better. Personally I think Vault Boy meshes better with the Smash cast.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm genuinely shocked you haven't heard of Lethal Company before now. It's arguably one of the biggest indie phenomena of the year.
Huh. I don't doubt it's popular, but I really haven't heard much of it. The games I've heard a lot about this year are Helldivers II, Hades 2, and Palworld (ugh).

Maybe it's because Lethal Company is PC exclusive?

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

89% audience score

Okay you ignored something. Wow I wonder if the game about nukes would fly getting anything more than a costume in the Japanese children’s party game? I get we’ve gotten M Rated characters before, and a couple of my most wanted are from said mature rated games, but being the only country to ever get nuked is probably going to damage the chance of a character from a series about nukes from ever getting into the game.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Okay you ignored something. Wow I wonder if the game about nukes would fly getting anything more than a costume in the Japanese children’s party game? I get we’ve gotten M Rated characters before, and a couple of my most wanted are from said mature rated games, but being the only country to ever get nuked is probably going to damage the chance of a character from a series about nukes from ever getting into the game.
This is a nothingburger of a statement.

If the game being about nuclear fallout was such an issue, why would it have ANYTHING in Smash, even a costume?

No seriously, how is a Mii Costume "acceptable" while anything else is crossing the line?

Not that I'm arguing in favor of a fighter, but still. This is backwards logic.

Top Bottom