• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Quillion

Smash Hero
Something I think a lot of people are forgetting is that Smash is still a casual experience at its core. The simple mechanism of combining a directional input with one button press to perform a special move, that was specifically to help set it apart from the fighting games that require a specific combination of button inputs to achieve the same thing (even the fighting game characters in Smash still have this as an option, albeit the effect is watered down compared to the button combinations from their home series). It's overall meant to be something that's easy to get into, and while we did get some notable universal changes like side-specials and Final Smashes, more advanced stuff like meters and command inputs are character-specific at most (though I guess to be fair, you CAN play characters like Cloud and Hero without needing to rely on their gimmicks, though it's far less effective to do so, and Hero especially will be barred off from options in his kit, including his recovery, if you don't pay attention to his MP..... still, I guess it could work as a universal mechanic so long as it isn't too overly centralizing).

And just while I'm talking about casual Smash, the low amount of required buttons also ties into that. As tempting as it'd be to make X and/or Y do anything else, they're fine simply being extras so long as Smash continues to follow through with its casual appeal (and especially so long as things like the single Joycon, and previously the Wii remote, are options).
Whenever I suggest that Smash add some new universal move category or mechanic, pretty much everyone says "Smash is successful because it's simple; adding something will make it overcomplicated."

And yet people justifiably point out that Pokémon needs "real change" beyond permutations of Megas and Z-moves (at least before Arceus) despite that series also being successful largely because it's simple.

If we need a new "Y for super special move" change to core gameplay to be more casual-friendly, they can just make it so that Y does a regular special if you input it with less than one full charge of meter.

I have quite a bit of ideas to stop Smash from getting stale that I posted on another thread:

To preemptively fix Smash's stagnation with core gameplay, I have a few solutions:
  1. Consolidate Cloud's Limit, Mac's KO Punch, and Terry's Desperation into a single "super meter" mechanic, and map the "Super Special" button to Y by default. You can build the super meter up to three charges, and using one super special will expend one of those charges (with a few exceptions). Super specials will be powered-up versions of existing specials, not new moves though.
  2. Offer alternative movesets for certain characters (mainly the 64/Melee veterans) while keeping their original movesets as default to satiate those who want them revamped.
  3. Add a "wavedash button" mapped to R by default. This would let you essentially wavedash easily, and it would even let you adjust the length of the wavedash by tilting the control stick as in Melee. What's more, all jabs and tilts as well as a few specials (like Reflector) should be cancelable with the "wavedash button", which would allow for greater grounded combo opportunities.
They don't have to do all at once, though. Maybe just one at a time.
Note that I stated that they don't have to do all at once, just one at a time. That would allow fans to gradually get used to the additions/changes to gameplay without it being completely jarring.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The only way Bowser wouldn't be in a new Smash game is if it's not just a reboot, but an extremely small roster and a limit of one character per franchise(with maybe last minute clones(technically model swaps, but this also includes semi-clones) added, so Luigi, Isabelle, Falco, etc.). Besides that, the Super Mario, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon franchises are the ones who are most likely to subvert a "one character per franchise" rule on its own. With Animal Crossing easily doing so as well, though it has less current characters, it'd be pretty silly to cut either character when they're both very important to the franchise. The main character and the mascot(despite Isabelle taking a backseat to Tom Nook in the latest game, that didn't change how she's still the big AC character to know).

So something that's pretty much clearly not happening due to how overly ridiculous it is to alienate that many fans. Also, why would DK even be cut? He's a different franchise in Smash. Yoshi and Wario are safe in the same way. The latter two are more tied to Super Mario than DK is, sure, but that's not the point.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
LOL is a bad comparison because it's not even a fighting game. It's a MOBA, which plays by different rules. Smash fans just have unrealistic expectations.
You're being overly dismissive and underselling the complexities of MOBAs. The design issues resulting from roster size are not all that dissimilar.

Using "balancing" as an excuse for roster cuts is completely disingenuous. Perfect balance doesn't exist in fighting games(or MOBAs for that matter). It never has and never will.

Ultimate itself proves what horse**** this argument is, because it has by far the largest roster, yet is also the most balanced game in the series.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Game-as-a-service has a place ONLY if the company is committed to never making a sequel. None of Nintendo's franchises are like that.
Mario Kart Tour? Pokemon Go? Fire Emblem Hero? If I'm not mistaken, they are all live service games.
I guess you can say Smash is different case, but who knows when Nintendo changes its mind?

Quillion

Smash Hero
TBF, those are mobile games. They HAVE to be GAAS in order to survive. Remember Super Mario Run?
I feel like the only way mobile will be accepted as a non-casual gaming platform (at least on par with the GB and DS lines) is if Nintendo actively develops for phones with those "phone controllers" in mind rather than haphazardly shoehorning mobile gaming elements into watered-down versions of their console games. They've had a near-monopoly on handheld gaming for a while now, and at this point, I think only they can challenge audiences' preference for dedicated handhelds over phones that they established themselves.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I agree with all of what you said, but I think there's also a point where celebrating the character and their history can go a bit too far in Smash.
I feel like much of the community disagrees with this. One of the biggest things I see is that characters in Smash don't have enough representation of the character or the franchise in their move sets.

One of the key examples of this is the Echo Fighters. Think about how much people were upset over Daisy and Dark Samus for being just clones and not being good representations of the characters or the series they come from. This also applies to the rest echoes that aren't Ken and Richter, and often representation gets removed and replaced. DK no longer has his bongos for his Final Smash so that we can have a generic rapid punches finisher that is basically one-for-one what Giga Mac does.

Pokemon doesn't have a rep from each generation, Wario doesn't bring enough from Warioland, LoZ doesn't have a single rep that isn't tied to the big three, Mario doesn't have a single spin-off character in the game as playable, the lid on third party has only really just been opened...this and so much more comes from this community on how much better representation can be.

To me with SSBU out of the way, the next smash no longer has to be a celebration of gaming and should much more on effective game-play and fun characters with good / interesting personality and a quality gameplay experience. Also and more importantly how much of a celebt\rstion of gaming is it with only Japanese characters and Steve being the only true exception? More like a Celebration of Nintendo and some other third Parties & definitely excluding Sony.

1 I care. I don't want the characters you referenced in Smash anymore. Nor do I care for a single non Nintendo character in SSBU as of Sora

2 I already clarified how i see effective gameplay.

3 I cannot find more than few characters because of the bloat and the fundamental opposition the development has seem to have had against the very things i want most. I am hoping the next game can remedy via moving towards better aerial combat and effective recoveries.

4 this is not completely prove-able.
So...because one game got to celebrate videos games better than the rest, you want Smash to drop it's core identity? OG Smash and Melee celebrated Nintendo's big franchises, and Brawl expanded that ever so slightly to ALL video games IPs. Since then, we've only gotten MORE third party IPs represented in Smash, so I'm not sorry to say that Smash's identity is Video Games: The Game and has been since Brawl. We've talked about this many a time, but Smash cannot go back to being just about Nintendo reps...like, ever. It just can't, it's come too far.

So...because the roster has mostly characters from games made by Japanese companies, it's not celebrating gaming? Reality check: Japanese-based video game companies have been in the ring on average much longer than non-Japanese video game companies. Easy example: Microsoft's OG Xbox dropped in 2001. That seems like a long time, 21 years, right? Welp, Nintendo dropped the Famicom in 1983. That's working up to 40 years ago, and it was 18 years before Microsoft made their first console, and they also made the SNES, N64, Gamecube, Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance ALL before the OG Xbox dropped. That means over 18 years, over all these consoles, they've had time to make so many games in so many ways and have people fall in love with the characters from those games. Sony dropped the PSX in 1993, which gives them 7 years over Microsoft to make things people fell in love with.

Everyone loves characters from Nintendo, Capcom, Square, Konami, Koei Tecmo...but very few companies in the West have TRULY made iconic characters that last throughout the ages. It's not that there aren't any at all, just that there are so many more from Japanese companies. Honestly, I would blame US consumers more than anything else at this point, because what somehow sells most here are re-hashed sports games and cycled the same couple of FPS games every couple years. Kinda hard to draw from those for a character pool...

1. I want you to dwell for a moment on what you just said. You just said you don't care about Little Mac, Donkey Kong, Bowser or King K. Rool in Smash...the only rep from Punch Out that people fought for during the Brawl days, the OG rival to Mario and absolute icon, the arch-nemesis of Mario that goes back almost as far as he does and was originally desired to be in OG Smash, and the arch-nemesis of DK that was fought for during the Smash 4 days and was a HUGE inclusion. You don't want ANY of them to be in the game any more, even though we JUST got King K Rool? I can't tell you how to feel, but I think you may need to either reevaluate yourself here or move to another platform fighter. Seeing that none of the third party picks between Simon/Richter, Ken, Joker, Hero, B&K, Terry, Steve, Sephiroth, Kazuya and Sora did at least SOMETHING for you reaffirms this for me: you are clearly too niche in your picks to find any satisfaction in the character choices, and that's flat out on you.

2. And I already clarified that how you look at the game is not the only way the game should be looked at or designed around. Having every character be designed where you value being 'effective' or optimal eventually leads to only having one character with different colors. Characters have to play different from another and need to have flaws to create diversity in the roster: if everyone plays the same, then people will just flock to their favorite skin over that playstyle and bore themselves much faster as there are less options. Who cares if some characters aren't as good with aerial options in a game where aerial options are a key factor? Learn how to play to your strengths and adapt to the match at hand. Even if the game is changed so that the entire roster has better aerial options, some characters would still suck in that regard in comparison to others, and that's something you need to accept as a part of game design.

You wouldn't want every character in a MOBA to play the same, or in a Hero Shooter. If the most effective thing in an RPG is Fire Magic, should every character and every class do nothing but the most optimal Fire Magic? Do you think Borderlands would have made it as far as they did if you only had ONE character to play with ONE build path where they could do EVERYTHING and do it optimally? No, people love the different characters because of their personality and HOW THEY PLAY.

3. I don't know what you want most, but frankly it sounds like your wishlist is very narrow. As someone who really only wants Geno, I still have other characters that I would like to see get in that I would be excited for. For example, I also want Waluigi and to a lesser extent Paper Mario, which now means that Nintendo could maybe make me happy within a range of Mario characters instead of just one. I also want a new LoZ character, and even though I prefer Skull Kid, I'm open to Impa or Minda as well, so now Nintendo has two IPs that could please me. Toss in my love for all things fighting games, a fondness for RPGs and platformers, and how I'm rooting for characters my friends want as well...and now suddenly there is a whole heap of characters from multiple companies that I would be excited to see. It's not hard to be happy about inclusions if you broaden your horizons a bit.

4. Maybe not, but the Melee scene is never happy with anything that isn't EXACTLY their version of the game they play, and there is no way Nintendo would just release Melee EXACTLY how it was at first release and just update how it looks to more modern standards. Just doing that alone could easily mean needing to change hitboxes and hurtboxes, so the idea that it would be the exact same game is absurd and not enough of the competitive scene (which is all Melee really has now) would move over to keep it alive.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The only thing I'm hoping for Bowser is to get a stage that actually fits him rather than having to fight him on the bright Mario stages.

I could forgive Melee for not having Bowser's Castle. Brawl not so much, and its successors even less.
bowsers castle is there. just as a third of a changing stage where the main platform rotates rendering it unplayable

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So...because the roster has mostly characters from games made by Japanese companies, it's not celebrating gaming? Reality check: Japanese-based video game companies have been in the ring on average much longer than non-Japanese video game companies. Easy example: Microsoft's OG Xbox dropped in 2001. That seems like a long time, 21 years, right? Welp, Nintendo dropped the Famicom in 1983. That's working up to 40 years ago, and it was 18 years before Microsoft made their first console, and they also made the SNES, N64, Gamecube, Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance ALL before the OG Xbox dropped. That means over 18 years, over all these consoles, they've had time to make so many games in so many ways and have people fall in love with the characters from those games. Sony dropped the PSX in 1993, which gives them 7 years over Microsoft to make things people fell in love with.
Not to mention the whole “celebration of video games” line is meant to describe what Smash has already achieved, not be taken in a prescriptive way. Any video game character added in is only going to increase the “celebration of gaming” aspect by virtue pf being part of gaming history no matter how minor they may be.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Can somebody more knowledgable elaborate on this? Because at a glance, I don't think Level-5 will survive long enough to see next Smash...
The high numbers you see was when Yokai Watch was the “in thing”. You couldn’t go anywhere without getting bombarded by it and every kid up until junior high played the heck out of it. 2014 was really when I got popular. Then it started to subside due to things like Attack on Titan getting popular and a subsequent shift from tradtitional gaming to mobile. The final straw was Nintendo discontinuing the 3DS which was the lifeblood of Yokai Watch. The series still survives thanks to a robust mobile game but it’s a shell of its former self.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The high numbers you see was when Yokai Watch was the “in thing”. You couldn’t go anywhere without getting bombarded by it and every kid up until junior high played the heck out of it. 2014 was really when I got popular. Then it started to subside due to things like Attack on Titan getting popular and a subsequent shift from tradtitional gaming to mobile. The final straw was Nintendo discontinuing the 3DS which was the lifeblood of Yokai Watch. The series still survives thanks to a robust mobile game but it’s a shell of its former self.
If I may add to this
it’s popularity dwindled with each new release, 3 selling worse than 2 which did worse than 1, and their attempts to revitalise the series with the shadow side series didn’t

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The only thing I'm hoping for Bowser is to get a stage that actually fits him rather than having to fight him on the bright Mario stages.

I could forgive Melee for not having Bowser's Castle. Brawl not so much, and its successors even less.
The lack of a Bowser's Castle, and a lot of Ultimate's weird stage roster, is a side effect of bringing almost every old stage back. Unlike the character roster, which is largely additive, basically all the pre-ultimate games have a completely new stage selection. In Melee and Brawl returning stages are marketed as bonuses, and Smash 4 was about half and half, with there still being a lot of stages not in either version. This means a lot of stages are essentially copies of one another. Every game needs to add a grassy plains Mario stage, an arena based Pokemon stage, etc. And when they bring all of them back, you have a ton of redundancy, because Mushroom Kingdom, Mushrooms Kingdom, and Mushrooms Kingdom U were never meant to coexist.

As much as a Bowser's Castle would be nice, the only place they could have slotted it in would be Smash 3DS, replacing either 3D Land or Golden Plains.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The lack of a Bowser's Castle, and a lot of Ultimate's weird stage roster, is a side effect of bringing almost every old stage back. Unlike the character roster, which is largely additive, basically all the pre-ultimate games have a completely new stage selection. In Melee and Brawl returning stages are marketed as bonuses, and Smash 4 was about half and half, with there still being a lot of stages not in either version. This means a lot of stages are essentially copies of one another. Every game needs to add a grassy plains Mario stage, an arena based Pokemon stage, etc. And when they bring all of them back, you have a ton of redundancy, because Mushroom Kingdom, Mushrooms Kingdom, and Mushrooms Kingdom U were never meant to coexist.

As much as a Bowser's Castle would be nice, the only place they could have slotted it in would be Smash 3DS, replacing either 3D Land or Golden Plains.
I actually would've cut a few returning stages to get more new ones like Bowser's Castle or even Melemele Island.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just something quick, more information about Pokémon Scarlet and Violet will be released in a video tomorrow. (Look at your timezone to know when)
FUFpqYfX0AAyvas.jpeg

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Just something quick, more information about Pokémon Scarlet and Violet will be released in a video tomorrow. (Look at your timezone to know when)
View attachment 353692
I for one welcome our new Sprigatito evolution overlords.

But in all seriousness, I’m cautiously optimistic. Arceus was great for what it was though after I completed the Pokédex there was basically nothing to do other than shiny hunt a few favorites. I’m hoping we get a truly great Pokémon game, but after the disaster that was Sword and Shield, im very cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I for one welcome our new Sprigatito evolution overlords.

But in all seriousness, I’m cautiously optimistic. Arceus was great for what it was though after I completed the Pokédex there was basically nothing to do other than shiny hunt a few favorites. I’m hoping we get a truly great Pokémon game, but after the disaster that was Sword and Shield, im very cautiously optimistic.
What is the story behind Sword and Shield's disaster?

It's not that I don't believe you because I've read this a lot ... A lot. But it out sold gold and silver (pushing it to 3rd) which was the first Generation 2. Gen 1 has sold the most, still.

It took until Generation ... 8? From 2.... To come out with a game that beat all varieties of glasses tinted, fogged... Missing.... A system seller among those who've kept up and those who are like oh yeah Pokemon that mobile game {Go!} was cool .. let's try it! Yep this is cool...

Or

Wtf is this?

By being exposed to Pokemon on Switch it's clear they decided the RPG-Ness (ha) would be best suited adopting an art and gameplay style that would appeal to Switch owners (handheld leaning) first... POKEMON! fans second thus gambling once again on the Fate of a franchise (they called it obv) and this is especially true with Arceus which when if played first and by Switch owners (docked leaning) are like woah when did Zelda become Pokemon? (Or Pokemon become Zelda whatever lol). This calculus produces an end result of potentially outselling the first Generation especially if you want to get silly and consider Home's interoperability.

Anyway, just curious cause "disaster" seems like a harsh criticism.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Shinji Hashimoto is retiring from Square Enix

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
View attachment 353692
The first new Pokemon that appears will be our next Smash poke rep. I just have a feeling.

let’s see how this post ages

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Pokemon SwSh just felt "Sonic Forces rushed". It's not Sonic '06 glitchy by any means, but its very short length, lack of any mitigation to break the game with Exp Candies among other things, and removing content from other games made it obvious corners were cut.

Same deal clearly happened with Zelda: Skyward Sword, but the developers of both SwSh and SS don't seem to want to outright admit the games were rushed.

Personally, I hope GF gets a good collaborator for Pokémon from this point forward like Sora Ltd. with Namco. They're clearly not going to be able to make a huge Pokémon game like everyone wants by their lonesome much like how Sora wasn't able to make a game as big as Smash 4 by their lonesome.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Shinji Hashimoto is retiring from Square Enix
What did he do again?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think it was due to the writing of the story, and characters.
I edited my post, sorry.

Your point is taken though if that's case then "disaster" is the wrong word altogether.

I think it started when at E3 2019 they mentioned how if a Pokémon was not in the Regional Dex then you couldn’t use it in the game.
Ah, so a functionality issue. I do hate when sequels or new entries change some things. It's what made me quit RE frankly cause 4 da bess. 5 too ... No.

So question does Pokemon Home fix this or is it something that continues to prevent optimal high opinioness?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I edited my post, sorry.

Your point is taken though if that's case then "disaster" is the wrong word altogether.

Ah, so a functionality issue. I do hate when sequels or new entries change some things. It's what made me quit RE frankly cause 4 da bess. 5 too ... No.

So question does Pokemon Home fix this or is it something that continues to prevent optimal high opinioness?
Pokémon Home does work to some degree but not every Pokémon can exit it (Gens 1-4 have BDSP (except Spinda), Gen 5-7 have a variety of Mons (including all the starters and their evolutions(except Oshawott and its second stage) plus Meloetta and Hoopa) that can’t exit home (the number is greater than the amount you can store without paying for a subscription)).

Quillion

Smash Hero
I have a hypothesis: could it be the real problem with not having the NatDex isn't really file limitations or modeling/animation work, but really having to decide the movelist for every single Pokémon to that point?

Every generation introduces new moves, and they have to decide if it fits on any old Pokémon. I don't think that's something an automatic AI can do.

If this is the case, I think they need to implement some kind of algorithm that can automatically assign "move categories" like punches, tackles, fire moves, water moves, etc. to Pokémon so that they don't have to do that work by hand.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
who plays pokemon games for story and characters?

and then they all loved the game anyway
I don’t understand how some people can blindly defend every decision the Pokémon company makes. I did buy Shield myself (as well as Arceus with plans to buy Violet) but I’m able to admit it was far from perfect. My biggest issue is actually their PR and how they weren’t honest with the fans. Had they mentioned that Sun and Moon would be the final game to have a complete deck during its development and explained the honest reasons, I would understand. Instead, they announced it last minute during a gameplay demo and lied about the reasons, such as better animations, models, and balance, which were all untrue, especially after bringing back select OP Pokémon like Landorus.

I’ll admit that I’m probably part of the problem because I keep buying their games despite the lack of effort. I did refuse to buy BDSP but that’s just one game. At least Arceus made some promising changes that give me some hope.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I have a hypothesis: could it be the real problem with not having the NatDex isn't really file limitations or modeling/animation work, but really having to decide the movelist for every single Pokémon to that point?

Every generation introduces new moves, and they have to decide if it fits on any old Pokémon. I don't think that's something an automatic AI can do.

If this is the case, I think they need to implement some kind of algorithm that can automatically assign "move categories" like punches, tackles, fire moves, water moves, etc. to Pokémon so that they don't have to do that work by hand.
I think it’s more to do with the 3 year dev cycle the gens seem to be stuck with

I don’t understand how some people can blindly defend every decision the Pokémon company makes. I did buy Shield myself but I’m able to admit it was far from perfect. My biggest issue is actually their PR and how they weren’t honest with the fans. Had they mentioned that Sun and Moon would be the final game to have a complete deck during its development and explained the honest reasons, I would understand. Instead, they announced it last minute during a gameplay demo and lied about the reasons, such as better animations, models, and balance, which were all untrue, especially after bringing back select OP Pokémon like Landorus.
who said anything about defending everything the Pokemon company does?
Personally I don’t get people who are upset about being lied to by a game company. Can’t remember the last time I encountered a company that hadn’t lied at some point

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think it’s more to do with the 3 year dev cycle the gens seem to be stuck with

who said anything about defending everything the Pokemon company does?
Personally I don’t get people who are upset about being lied to by a game company. Can’t remember the last time I encountered a company that hadn’t lied at some point
I can’t think of many that do it as often as GameFreak with such an attitude like they don’t care about the fans. I’m sure there are several others but not many among those I’m personally invested in. I started noticing their change of attitude with ORAS and their excuse for leaving out the Battle Frontier.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Pokémon Home does work to some degree but not every Pokémon can exit it (Gens 1-4 have BDSP (except Spinda), Gen 5-7 have a variety of Mons (including all the starters and their evolutions(except Oshawott and its second stage) plus Meloetta and Hoopa) that can’t exit home (the number is greater than the amount you can store without paying for a subscription)).
I gotcha. I dunno but it seems that the table is set for a huge win for Nintendo even if it angered fans to do it. They've gotten over it and in many cases didn't notice.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I can’t think of many that do it as often as GameFreak with such an attitude like they don’t care about the fans. I’m sure there are several others but not many among those I’m personally invested in. I started noticing their change of attitude with ORAS and their excuse for leaving out the Battle Frontier.
i don’t think I’ve ever seen a games company that cares about it’s fans

Top Bottom