• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Smash messed up Rosalina she went from a kind mother figure for the Lumas to literally enslaving and be abusive to them in smash
I could understand Olimar and Alph treatments towards Pikmins as that’s a part of their lore or character but it just seems so wrong with Rosalina doing these kind of things I loved Mario Galaxy Rosalina but smash made her a ****ed up mother
It’s so unfitting even if it’s for the sake of making a new playstyle

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Smash messed up Rosalina she went from a kind mother figure for the Lumas to literally enslaving and be abusive to them in smash
I could understand Olimar and Alph treatments towards Pikmins as that’s a part of their lore or character but it just seems so wrong with Rosalina doing these kind of things I loved Mario Galaxy Rosalina but smash made her a ****ed up mother
Doesn't Smash games go out of their ways to explain how Lumas fight alongside with Rosalina because they want to protect her?

AlRex

Smash Lord
I’d like the next Smash to have more that can hold longer interest besides just the VS mode, though I understand a fighter is generally going to be focused on that.

Yeah, they Ruined her.
They even f****d up Villager in Smash, despite his game was Kindhearted and Relaxing, not for doing brutal Fights.
When Sakurai will learn about his Mistakes.

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Bro, I meant his Inclusion for Smash.
Actually, his moveset is good, but he looks extremely out of place.
I mean, Smash isn't a particularly violent or realistic game and it does feature cartoony characters like Mario and Kirby, but I can understand your concern, what with the peaceful nature of Animal Crossing.

I’d like the next Smash to have more that can hold longer interest besides just the VS mode, though I understand a fighter is generally going to be focused on that.
Same here. Aside from VS, Classic, and Home-Run Contest, there wasn't much keeping me interested in Ultimate. I don't dislike Stage Builder, but I'm honestly really bad at drawing things when using it. I found World of Light to be a huge chore and an unfun experience.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Welp, I just found out yet ANOTHER bad thing about ActiBlizz, and I don't know if I can share it here due to the implications. But... yeah, you can't blame anybody for not wanting Crash in Smash at this point...
I’ve mentioned this before but, at this point, I’m just hoping ActiVision/Blizzard goes under and their IP along with any employees that weren’t involved in all this gets picked up by a more respectable company. I love Blizzard’s characters but it’s hard to root for them after everything that’s happened.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
This, I'd reckon?

I didn't hear about this until now, but this is horrible. I feel really sorry for the employees affected by this.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Oh and the highest rated game whose series doesn't have a playable character yet (or any representation at all for that matter)?

Chrono Trigger.
In the top 50:
8. Chrono Trigger
19. Suikoden II
25. Tetris
29. Okami
30. Apex Legends
31. Tactics Ogre
39. Dark Souls III
41. Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa Heisei Reiwa mo Teiban!
48. NieR: Automata

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So a big TV program in Japan did a poll asking over 50,000 people in Japan what their favorite games were. Based on the results, here are the Top 100 most popular games in Japan:

A few spots might be iffy and may be a result of some recency bias, but otherwise I think its a really interesting poll. Sakurai himself even tweeted about this poll as Smash Ultimate came in 7th place.

Out of curiosity, I went and counted all of the Western-made games in this list. Here are the only ones I could find:
  • Ghost of Tsushima (66th place)
  • Dead by Daylight (59th place)
  • Apex Legends (30th place)
  • Undertale (13th place)
I think this really helps the chances of an Undertale rep for next game considering how big it is overseas especially compared to other Western titles.

Oh and the highest rated game whose series doesn't have a playable character yet (or any representation at all for that matter)?

Chrono Trigger.
Hopefully that speaks well for a potential Chrono character in the future. Magus would be my ideal choice but I’d be more than happy with Crono himself.

In the top 50:
8. Chrono Trigger
19. Suikoden II
25. Tetris
29. Okami
30. Apex Legends
31. Tactics Ogre
39. Dark Souls III
41. Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa Heisei Reiwa mo Teiban!
48. NieR: Automata
Dude, Tetris could be Represented by stage.
Tetromino as Fighter doesn't make any sense.

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Yeah, TETRIS would make for an awesome stage. That’s the first thing I did once Stage Builder was released. I have no idea how it isn’t already represented as a stage in Smash.
It may be a bit tricky for players if they're trying to recover, but get crushed or knocked off, but I'm open to the idea of a Tetris or Panel de Pon stage. But, seeing as they've handled loads of stages well in the past, I imagine it would be possible for the team to do.

It may be a bit tricky for players if they're trying to recover, but get crushed or knocked off, but I'm open to the idea of a Tetris or Panel de Pon stage. But, seeing as they've handled loads of stages well in the past, I imagine it would be possible for the team to do.
I could want to see both Panel De Pon and Tetris stage.
It could feel same, but I want them because of:
  • Tetris: Could be unique stage and it could be good representation for "Celebration of Gaming"
  • Panel De Pon: Same as above, but it could be good representation for "Nintendo Allstars"

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The idea I came up with for my Stage Builder stage is a ton of fun and faithful to the game but probably not very competitively balanced. The only real way to KO is vertically because there are two tall walls on each side. I was able to manage making the falling blocks that fit in place and take up most of the stage once completed so it becomes easier to KO as the match goes on. The blocks move slow enough that it’s not too distracting and it takes a while to set them all down. At the end, the blocks take up around 3/4ths of the battlefield.

Without the limitations of Stage Builder, you’d be able to actually eliminate rows like in the real game so it never just becomes static at the end and it could just loop in a pattern.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Why do you guys think puzzle genre doesn’t need a playable character?
The only thing we got from puzzle genre is just a Mario clone.
Tetromino is a worthly playable inclusion due to the series being in the top 5 most sold game series of all time and had huge history and recognized by everyone and it represent important piece of gaming history and we all know puzzle genre is poorly represented in smash and Tetris is basically the face of puzzle genre.

If Steve and R.O.B. can work so can Tetromino.

I get it that a stage would be cool but that’s like adding a Minecraft stage with no playable Steve ignoring one of the biggest gaming icon which doesn’t feel right.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Why do you guys think puzzle genre doesn’t need a playable character?
The only thing we got from puzzle genre is just a Mario clone.
Tetromino is a worthly playable inclusion due to the series being in the top 5 most sold game series of all time and had huge history and recognized by everyone and it represent important piece of gaming history and we all know puzzle genre is poorly represented in smash and Tetris is basically the face of puzzle genre.

If Steve and R.O.B. can work so can Tetromino.

I get it that a stage would be cool but that’s like adding a Minecraft stage with no playable Steve ignoring one of the biggest gaming icon which doesn’t feel right.
I think the idea of a playable Tetronimo is funny but I personally prefer characters to have at least a little more personality than a block. I definitely think TETRIS is important enough that it could have had a fighter but it just doesn’t have any actual characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
All this talk about Tetromino as a Tetris playable character make me miss Blue Pikmin's posts about Mr. Hanafuda. That was one of the most wild and unique ideas on this board yet.

I think a stage and Assist Trophy would suffice for Tetris. Panel de Pon having Lip as a playable character would be nice I think, would this count as a retro representative? She was always a very well requested character up to Smash 4 I remember.

About this Blizzard stuff, who's to say these things don't happen in other companies? This is a situation that's reflective of the society we live in, I don't hold strong opinions about this one way or another. Dude probably felt estranged in the company he's been working for, and said ugly stuff. That's about it for me. Politics and gaming don't mix very well in general.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
When you see it that way, yes, it sounds messed up, but it couldn't be farther from the truth.

Lumas have shown themselves to be more than willing to put their life on the line for the sake of the one who raised them, the best example being the ending of the first Galaxy game, and what do they do in Smash? They put their life on the line to protect Rosalina.

So this kind of archetype actually fits Rosalina and Luma perfectly.

True slavery is how Peach used Toad before Ultimate. None of previous games made the Toads look like the consented to being used as damage sponges. Quite the opposite, actually. Fortunately, Peach started to care about him in Ultimate and the fungus now does it willingly, even getting involved in Peach's throws.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
About this Blizzard stuff, who's to say these things don't happen in other companies? This is a situation that's reflective of the society we live in, I don't hold strong opinions about this one way or another. Dude probably felt estranged in the company he's been working for, and said ugly stuff. That's about it for me. Politics and gaming don't mix very well in general.
Wait, I'm a bit confused, what does Activision-Blizzard acting terrible have anything to do with politics?

It's not something related to government, it's simply people not wanting to financially support a company that treats its employers like ****. It's a simple ethics issue. I agree that a lot of companies, some of which are already involved in Smash do shady stuff but I think this time, things went a bit too far.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wait, I'm a bit confused, what does Activision-Blizzard acting terrible have anything to do with politics?

It's not something related to government, it's simply people not wanting to financially support a company that treats its employers like ****. It's a simple ethics issue. I agree that a lot of companies, some of which are already involved in Smash do shady stuff but I think this time, things went a bit too far.
Oh really? That's it? I thought it where the remarks said by this employee on that alt right gaming board... My bad. Didn't catch that part at all.

True slavery is how Peach used Toad before Ultimate. None of previous games made the Toads look like the consented to being used as damage sponges. Quite the opposite, actually. Fortunately, Peach started to care about him in Ultimate and the fungus now does it willingly, even getting involved in Peach's throws.
New theory: The Toads are actually involved in all the kidnappings of Peach by the hands of Bowser, that's why they never resist, and that's why Mario is almost never at the given time and place when it happens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom