• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I felt bad for Geno fans getting the reused Mii costume again after so long. The deluxe would have be the minimum effort required to make them happy. I'd of tried to go an extra step and include his theme with it and have it playable on all Mario stages. I don't know how feasible it is but I think replacing the Mii Gunner energy bullets with stars (while keeping hitboxes the same) and maybe replacing the charged shot with that fireball with eyes thing would have been sick.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I felt bad for Geno fans getting the reused Mii costume again after so long. The deluxe would have be the minimum effort required to make them happy. I'd of tried to go an extra step and include his theme with it and have it playable on all Mario stages. I don't know how feasible it is but I think replacing the Mii Gunner energy bullets with stars (while keeping hitboxes the same) and maybe replacing the charged shot with that fireball with eyes thing would have been sick.
What was the deal with the music, anyway? They were able to use it for the preview, but not for the game itself? Same with the Chocobo theme, for that matter.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What was the deal with the music, anyway? They were able to use it for the preview, but not for the game itself? Same with the Chocobo theme, for that matter.
They are paying to use it under certain conditions. The trailers are separate entirely from the game(and can't even be viewed in the game itself).

Different licensing use, basically.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
its square-enix being square-enix thing its a monopoly to get something from them remember that we saw when we got the downgraded versions of dragon quest music in smash

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
its square-enix being square-enix thing its a monopoly to get something from them remember that we saw when we got the downgraded versions of dragon quest music in smash
To be fair, Koichi insisted that video games use MIDI music. Sometimes DQ can use orchestrated music, but even then DQVIII had to go back to MIDIs for the 3DS.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Then excuse me saying it, but with Square being like this, and promoting their big names and series first, one couldn't really expect a character from a Mario game owned by them to be in Smash before Cloud, Sephiroth and Hero.

Honestly, best I can see Geno getting is a more personalized Mii Gunner costume, like Sans and a couple of others.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's nothing like that, though. The trailers are separate media from the actual games. So licensing the music for the trailers won't let them be usable in the game.

It's not a SE thing, it applies everywhere to how licensing works. That's not to say they couldn't have denied some music for the main game itself, though, but it's not related to the trailer regardless.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Then excuse me saying it, but with Square being like this, and promoting their big names and series first, one couldn't really expect a character from a Mario game owned by them to be in Smash before Cloud, Sephiroth and Hero.

Honestly, best I can see Geno getting is a more personalized Mii Gunner costume, like Sans and a couple of others.
Or hope Nintendo decides to buy the rights or something.

I... wouldn't do that, though...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Or hope Nintendo decides to buy the rights or something.

I... wouldn't do that, though...
Not worth it by this point I imagine. It's weird they never tried to remake the game on Switch either, cause there's many classic old RPG games from Square being remade this generation. Shame, cause Paper Mario is no longer much of a RPG, and Mario & Luigi is a thing of the past.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Not worth it by this point I imagine. It's weird they never tried to remake the game on Switch either, cause there's many classic old RPG games from Square being remade this generation. Shame, cause Paper Mario is no longer much of a RPG, and Mario & Luigi is a thing of the past.
Was working on finishing a big post to explain to and encourage people that EiH isn't all that hard to pull off again, but I saw this and...well, this is simply shallow-minded.

First off, how do you know they aren't remaking it for Switch? Are you assuming this because it wasn't announced for Mario 35th? Did you forget that we have had multiple Mario announcements that had nothing to do with the anniversary, including a ****ing movie?

Are you assuming this because the Switch is nearing the end of it's lifecycle? Remember, it's the crazies like me who are saying a next-gen Switch can happen as soon as the next two years: everyone else is suggesting 2024 or later. Wouldn't that be plenty of time in the works for it to happen? I mean, even if the next-gent Switch comes out as early as some of us think, they won't drop support for the older model right away...so why would you think it won't happen? Also, just because lots of rumors swirl and a bunch of them we hear end up right doesn't mean Nintendo isn't working on things we haven't heard of...and even then, a remaster or remake of SMRPG has been rumored for a while now.

Do you think Nintendo thinks they have no market, or that Paper Mario covers that market? Well my friend, you would be wrong. The sheer amount of RPGs being dumped onto Switch is insane, so they know they have a market for people to play new and beloved RPGs on the go. They also know that people are sad about M&L getting nothing but remakes and then AlphaDream falling apart, and how people have been nothing but pissed with the direction Paper Mario has gone. Remember that Furukawa wasn't large and in-charge until the middle of 2018, which means Origami King was already in development by then, and this man believes Nintendo was at it's best from the SNES to the Gamecube...and guess what Mario RPGs were on those? That's right, the ones widely considered to be the best ones.

All the fan feedback for Origami King was 'This is kinda better than the last couple games, but this still ain't it Chief.' What has been happening rapidly since Furukawa has been in charge for a few years now? Massive fan appeal, in many way. Super Mario Party blows and Mario Party has sucked for years? Remake of the old Mario Party people love! Nintendo ****s on Ultimate and Melee tournaments? Works with Panda Global to make the first true Nintendo-sponsored tournament! He's all about giving games the delays they need as well, and it's rumored that he may have been a core part of getting Banjo negotiated for Ultimate, but that's not really confirmed.

What makes it not worth it at this point? There is no true Mario RPG on Nintendo's hottest home console since the Wii...you think they will just pass that up?

Not every game can be like Smash and be shoved out way faster than they honestly should be, cutting corners and generally making a rushed product, and still turn out decent. You have to have patience, Bayo fans can probably tell you that one...here's hoping Pikmin fans live long enough to tell a similar story.

EDIT: In the same wave of thought, this also applies to Smash. Ultimate was basically done by the time Furukawa sat on the N-shaped throne, so there was nothing he could really do about any of it: no delays, no suggestions, and to semi-debunk that rumor it's clear all the characters for the first Pass would have to be selected and negotiated for before Ultimate dropped for them to be able to start work on them and get them out to purchase that quickly. There could be some extension of this into Pass 2 since those character were chosen very early as well, but we may never know that.

Now, Sakurai has slaved on Smash for a hot minute now, and he's always pressured some how to deliver: N64 almost didn't happen, Melee was hell on earth, Brawl was essentially blackmailed into existence, Smash 4 was pushed to come out at on set dates for two wildly different consoles, and Ultimate was rushed to sell the Switch in it's second year. Now imagine you are Furukawa and you know you are releasing a next-gen console soon...how do you sell it best? Well there are a lot of choices, like a new Mario game, a new Zelda game, maybe Metroid Prime 4 launches on it? However, none of those have quite the same ring to them as 'Smash Bros on Next Gen Switch' now do they?

Here's the crazy part though: Sakurai would be more inclined to agree to it based off Furukawa being much more likely to give him the time he needs to make it happen, which would be a lot less if they just build onto Ultimate. He would also have more creative control, and I'm sure everyone would prefer it if Sakurai had more say on character choices than Nintendo, seeing as this Smash had a lot more shilling than I believe any previous Smash title.

Man, Nintendo's future just looks so bright, it's almost blinding.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Was working on finishing a big post to explain to and encourage people that EiH isn't all that hard to pull off again, but I saw this and...well, this is simply shallow-minded.

First off, how do you know they aren't remaking it for Switch? Are you assuming this because it wasn't announced for Mario 35th? Did you forget that we have had multiple Mario announcements that had nothing to do with the anniversary, including a ****ing movie?

Are you assuming this because the Switch is nearing the end of it's lifecycle? Remember, it's the crazies like me who are saying a next-gen Switch can happen as soon as the next two years: everyone else is suggesting 2024 or later. Wouldn't that be plenty of time in the works for it to happen? I mean, even if the next-gent Switch comes out as early as some of us think, they won't drop support for the older model right away...so why would you think it won't happen? Also, just because lots of rumors swirl and a bunch of them we hear end up right doesn't mean Nintendo isn't working on things we haven't heard of...and even then, a remaster or remake of SMRPG has been rumored for a while now.

Do you think Nintendo thinks they have no market, or that Paper Mario covers that market? Well my friend, you would be wrong. The sheer amount of RPGs being dumped onto Switch is insane, so they know they have a market for people to play new and beloved RPGs on the go. They also know that people are sad about M&L getting nothing but remakes and then AlphaDream falling apart, and how people have been nothing but pissed with the direction Paper Mario has gone. Remember that Furukawa wasn't large and in-charge until the middle of 2018, which means Origami King was already in development by then, and this man believes Nintendo was at it's best from the SNES to the Gamecube...and guess what Mario RPGs were on those? That's right, the ones widely considered to be the best ones.

All the fan feedback for Origami King was 'This is kinda better than the last couple games, but this still ain't it Chief.' What has been happening rapidly since Furukawa has been in charge for a few years now? Massive fan appeal, in many way. Super Mario Party blows and Mario Party has sucked for years? Remake of the old Mario Party people love! Nintendo ****s on Ultimate and Melee tournaments? Works with Panda Global to make the first true Nintendo-sponsored tournament! He's all about giving games the delays they need as well, and it's rumored that he may have been a core part of getting Banjo negotiated for Ultimate, but that's not really confirmed.

What makes it not worth it at this point? There is no true Mario RPG on Nintendo's hottest home console since the Wii...you think they will just pass that up?

Not every game can be like Smash and be shoved out way faster than they honestly should be, cutting corners and generally making a rushed product, and still turn out decent. You have to have patience, Bayo fans can probably tell you that one...here's hoping Pikmin fans live long enough to tell a similar story.
What makes it probably not worth it to Nintendo is that the part that makes those games successful commercially is already owned by them. What they could acquire from Square is likely not seen to make an appreciable impact financially to be worthwhile.

You can argue otherwise but Geno has been popular for like fifteen years and they've seemingly made negligible effort in that time to bring Square content into their RPGs. It very clearly doesn't seem worth it to them.

Not the least of which may be because people don't actually ask for Geno to appear in anything other than Smash in any substantial way.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
Here's the crazy part though: Sakurai would be more inclined to agree to it based off Furukawa being much more likely to give him the time he needs to make it happen, which would be a lot less if they just build onto Ultimate. He would also have more creative control, and I'm sure everyone would prefer it if Sakurai had more say on character choices than Nintendo, seeing as this Smash had a lot more shilling than I believe any previous Smash title.
I somehow doubt Sakurai yearns for more creative control, given what he said earlier this month.
“… I’ve been doing too much of the work myself, so I’d need to resolve that, too. The current Super Smash Bros. has too much of my personality poured into it. In order for a long-time series to continue thriving today, we need to think about eliminating the series’ dependence on just one person’s vision.

Of course, this is the way it is now because we weren’t successful in splitting the vision between multiple people before. This would be a challenge for the future and something that needs to be discussed with Nintendo, if there were to be a next installment in the Super Smash Bros. series.”
For all we know, Sakurai didn't even want total control of the roster.

This community's obsession with 'shilling' is tiring, and it's presumptuous to think that the roster would've turned out so much better in the hands of one person.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman

EDIT: In the same wave of thought, this also applies to Smash. Ultimate was basically done by the time Furukawa sat on the N-shaped throne, so there was nothing he could really do about any of it: no delays, no suggestions, and to semi-debunk that rumor it's clear all the characters for the first Pass would have to be selected and negotiated for before Ultimate dropped for them to be able to start work on them and get them out to purchase that quickly. There could be some extension of this into Pass 2 since those character were chosen very early as well, but we may never know that.

Now, Sakurai has slaved on Smash for a hot minute now, and he's always pressured some how to deliver: N64 almost didn't happen, Melee was hell on earth, Brawl was essentially blackmailed into existence, Smash 4 was pushed to come out at on set dates for two wildly different consoles, and Ultimate was rushed to sell the Switch in it's second year. Now imagine you are Furukawa and you know you are releasing a next-gen console soon...how do you sell it best? Well there are a lot of choices, like a new Mario game, a new Zelda game, maybe Metroid Prime 4 launches on it? However, none of those have quite the same ring to them as 'Smash Bros on Next Gen Switch' now do they?

Man, Nintendo's future just looks so bright, it's almost blinding.
I envy your optimism. I can't really speak on the matter, since I haven't been paying the most attention to Nintendo's heads ever since Iwata passed, but you painted quite the picture. Regardless of whether or not it's feasible, it's nice just to hope for the best.

BTW, the part about Furukawa understanding the importance of delays leaves me a bit curious: could he be the reason Metroid Prime 4 was re-started from scratch? If so, one could only imagine what kind of installment he rejected. Though if Prime 4 was headed in the direction of something like Federation Force, scrapping it would be completely understandable.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I somehow doubt Sakurai yearns for more creative control, given what he said earlier this month.

This community's obsession with 'shilling' is tiring, and it's presumptuous to think that the roster would've turned out so much better in the hands of one person.
Smash speculation really became an endless cycle of repetitive argument when fandom collectively decided that every character is either an old fan-favorite (and therefore good) or a flavor of the month shill (and therefore bad), no in-between.

Shroob

Sup?
What makes it probably not worth it to Nintendo is that the part that makes those games successful commercially is already owned by them.
Especially if any of the recent titles are any indication.

The Mario and Luigi series is effectively dead, and the remakes tuned down a lot of the more quirky characters for more generic ones. Superstar Sage suffered the most from this with a handful of characters and enemies in the original version being outright replaced for more generic Mario characters in the remake.

And Paper Mario is..... well, it's more sterile than a freshly washed dish.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
well, it's more sterile than a freshly washed dish.
Eh, even without character designs that are alternate versions of Toads/Goombas/etc., I still think they put a lot of care into The Origami King.

Unfortunately that lot of care doesn't really matter to those who fell in love with the first two games' gameplay.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
New assist trophies I wanna see eh?
  • Zeke (Xenoblade 2)
  • Riku (Kingdom Hearts)
  • Aerith (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Alisa (Tekken)
  • EMMI (Metroid Dread. Prowls the battlefield for a limited time, chases anyone around. Anyone hit is instantly KO’d. Can throw other opponents in EMMI’s path to try to escape)
  • Gatekeeper (FE3H; he’s basically a more wholesome Mr. Resetti)
  • Off the Hook (Splatoon; technically co exists with Squid Sisters. I.e. the Squid Sisters AT will have like a 1:3 chance of being Off the Hook instead. If Octoling is playable it’ll be a 100% chance if Octoling pulls that AT)
  • Tsubasa Oribe (TMS FE)
  • The Ever Oasis dude. I forgot his name and idk what he’d do I just want him to be acknowledged this way
  • Nakoruru (SNK)
  • Lloyd Irving (Bandai Namco)
  • Rayman (Ubisoft)
  • Dragonborn (Bethesda)
  • Goemon (Konami)
  • Jessica Albert (DQ8)
  • 2B (Square Enix)
  • Arle if she’s not playable (Sega) or even NiGHTS
  • Dante (Capcom)
  • Fiora (Xenoblade; she already appears in a Final Smash and tbh Riki’s a very mid AT, give Fiora more spotlight)
  • An Undertale/Deltarune character
  • If Pokeballs count, Lycanroc and/or Decidueye. Throw them a bone somehow
  • Bring Barbara the Bat back
  • If Saki Amamiya doesn’t make the jump to playable, bring his AT back too. It’s better than nothing

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

Ultimate picks especially DLC filled with a ton of shilling from Nintendo

Having Sakurai have more creative control on the roster is much better outcome than Nintendo themselves

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So a big TV program in Japan did a poll asking over 50,000 people in Japan what their favorite games were. Based on the results, here are the Top 100 most popular games in Japan:

A few spots might be iffy and may be a result of some recency bias, but otherwise I think its a really interesting poll. Sakurai himself even tweeted about this poll as Smash Ultimate came in 7th place.

Out of curiosity, I went and counted all of the Western-made games in this list. Here are the only ones I could find:
  • Ghost of Tsushima (66th place)
  • Dead by Daylight (59th place)
  • Apex Legends (30th place)
  • Undertale (13th place)
I think this really helps the chances of an Undertale rep for next game considering how big it is overseas especially compared to other Western titles.

Oh and the highest rated game whose series doesn't have a playable character yet (or any representation at all for that matter)?

Chrono Trigger.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So a big TV program in Japan did a poll asking over 50,000 people in Japan what their favorite games were. Based on the results, here are the Top 100 most popular games in Japan:

A few spots might be iffy and may be a result of some recency bias, but otherwise I think its a really interesting poll. Sakurai himself even tweeted about this poll as Smash Ultimate came in 7th place.

Out of curiosity, I went and counted all of the Western-made games in this list. Here are the only ones I could find:
  • Ghost of Tsushima (66th place)
  • Dead by Daylight (59th place)
  • Apex Legends (30th place)
  • Undertale (13th place)
I think this really helps the chances of an Undertale rep for next game considering how big it is overseas especially compared to other Western titles.
I mean, we DID get a Sans Mii Costume, and it made everybody forget Terry had been announced earlier...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fire Emblem Three Houses scoring so high is a good thing to throw in people's faces who still dare to complain about Byleth. It honestly would excuse another newcomer like Dimitri, which I would love. Edelgard has her valuable contributions as a newcomer too, I just struggle to see what to do with Claude, even if I like the dude a great deal.

Happy that "Super Donkey Kong" made the list too. Kind of surprised Zelda Breath of the Wild was the number one choice. There where actually quite a few Zelda games on this list and that surprised me, since it was always told Zelda wasn't as popular in Japan right ?

It's also curious that the first Smash Bros and Brawl topped Melee and Smash 4.

Anyway, lots and lots of Nintendo exclusive titles !

osby

Smash Obsessed
Fire Emblem Three Houses scoring so high is a good thing to throw in people's faces who still dare to complain about Byleth. It honestly would excuse another newcomer like Dimitri, which I would love. Edelgard has her valuable contributions as a newcomer too, I just struggle to see what to do with Claude, even if I like the dude a great deal.

Happy that "Super Donkey Kong" made the list too. Kind of surprised Zelda Breath of the Wild was the number one choice. There where actually quite a few Zelda games on this list and that surprised me, since it was always told Zelda wasn't as popular in Japan right ?

Super Smash Bros probably had a lot of nostalgia/historicity value due to being the first game.

I'm not surprised Brawl surpassing the other two, it still has a huge casual fanbase compared to Melee, which is mostly loved by the hardcore competitive crowd, and Smash 4, which most people don't find very memorable.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

No, Metroid is the one not popular in Japan. Zelda is pretty big over there.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Yeah I loved Three Houses and the FE series in general. I do wish we had gotten a more interesting character than Byleth to rep that game but I understand that Byleth made the most sense objectively so I’m not really too bothered by their inclusion.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah I loved Three Houses and the FE series in general. I do wish we had gotten a more interesting character than Byleth to rep that game but I understand that Byleth made the most sense objectively so I’m not really too bothered by their inclusion.
At the same time, with ARMS and XC2, we didn't get the absolute most 100% safe choice to rep them.

...and at the same time AGAIN, you can still play as We Have Edelgard/Claude/Dimitri At Home by using their alts and sticking to their weapons. I've seen someone play as "Dimitri" as a gimmick in a tournament once. He did alright.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
At the same time, with ARMS and XC2, we didn't get the absolute most 100% safe choice to rep them.

...and at the same time AGAIN, you can still play as We Have Edelgard/Claude/Dimitri At Home by using their alts and sticking to their weapons. I've seen someone play as "Dimitri" as a gimmick in a tournament once. He did alright.
Out of realistic options, I’d have gone with Dimitri, but Edelgard would have been great too. My other favorites were Petra, Shamir, Catherine, Felix, and Bernadette but I don’t think any of them ever had a chance.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Keep in mind, Arms and XC2 were both unique situations. Arms doesn't have a "main" character, and Sakurai's idea for Rex was too much for the Switch to handle.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Keep in mind, Arms and XC2 were both unique situations. Arms doesn't have a "main" character, and Sakurai's idea for Rex was too much for the Switch to handle.
Still, speculation on those games was heavily focused on Spring Man and Rex under the assumption that they were the safest choices for ARMS/XC2 reps.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
No offense to anyone that wanted them but I’m happy we got Minmin and Pyra/Mythra over Spring Man and Rex. I love Xenoblade but I never really connected to Rex as a character. I don’t personally care for either Rex’s or Spring Man’s designs either. I would have preferred Nia but again, I’m weird and that was never going to happen so I’m happy with the more realistic outcome we got.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Speaking of which does anyone think the new game will be made for a system capable of realizing his original vision for the character?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I like Byleth a lot, but I wanted them to have a more canon inspired move set. Have Byleth use the Sword of the Creator, magic and a bit of brawling moves. Combine range and CQC more or less, and sword play.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I honestly think that an underrated, never-gonna-happen pick that I don't think I've mentioned in this thread yet is...

1640637997056.png

I'm dead serious. My idea for how it would play is that the Wiimote can hop around and flip and the like, as well as using its safety strap for things like jabs. However, the main moveset comes from various Wii peripherals, such as the Nunchuk, Wii Wheel, Wii Zapper and Balance Board. As stupid as it seems, it's a genuine possibility.

Alts, for example:

1640638207368.png

Alt 1: White (Classic)
Alt 2: Black (Classic)
Alt 3: Light Blue (Classic)
Alt 4: Pink (Classic)
Alt 5: Red (Wii Mini)
Alt 6: Green (Based on the Luigi remote, though without the Luigi icon.)
Alt 7: Yellow (Based on the Bowser remote, though without the Bowser icon.)
Alt 8: Gold (Based on the Zelda remote, but without the Triforce.)

In fact, you could include a wide variety of tracks here. Various system themes such as the DSi Shop theme, various Wii U BIOS themes, some of the Wii Channel themes... and you could even finish it off by having the Wii Menu itself as a playable stage.

Oh, and spirits? It would finally be a chance to see console Spirits in the game! Include pretty much every notable Nintendo console, and maybe a few peripherals too!

It's a little surprising to me that the Wiimote wasn't considered in Wii U, and whilst it's not likely anymore... I think it would still be funny, but cool, to see!

Top Bottom