• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I know some would like to argue that Vocaloid doesnt originate as video game and that it originate as a hardware but thats more of a grey area like R.O.B. and Duck Hunt but basically she is a video game icon.
Yes, but R.O.B. and Duck Hunt also have the major advantage of being first-party Nintendo properties (and there have been suggestions for the inclusion of Nintendo's non-game content, like Hanafuda cards). Though, I would've loved to see Miku in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (considering Sega are pretty much the exclusive publishers of her Project Diva rhythm game series).

I think this'd be cool!
Interesting idea, especially since a majority of alts are simple recolors. Though, I wonder how they'd handle the more complex alts? Just give color customization for each model (ex. getting to select between male and female, or between Mario's standard, builder, and wedding, or between each of the 7 Koopalings+Jr.)? And what about things like Villager and Inkling, with each alt being specifically based off of clothing available in their home series?

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
I wholeheartedly disagree.

For the entirety of the first fighter’s pass, people were accusing Sakurai of bias, and asserting that Nintendo never picked the roster or at least gave him a ton of choice. And I can guarantee that if he never revealed who picked the fighters, they’d still be convinced it was bias.

Even before Ultimate, fighter selection has always been commercially-minded, whether it was big third party names that the fan base wasn’t particularly asking for, like Ryu, or characters from recently released Nintendo games like Corrin. Even Bayonetta’s critics were split between thinking her selection was the result of either personal bias or a marketing ploy.
What does people wrongly accusing Sakurai of bias change the fact Nintendo was the one who still chose the Fighter Pass 1 and 2?

Who is to says that Nintendo wasn't behind these characters in Smash 4 especially with Corrin and Bayonetta inclusion when Sora and Banjo where the most requested?

But beyond all that, I don’t think the roster is sacred enough that a little cross promotion is actually a bad thing. Like, with Steve they included a character from literally the most popular game in the world? Oh no? Sakurai finally got to add a Dragon Quest character that he wanted around the time DQ11 got a Switch port? The horror! Clearly Nintendo should give Sakurai complete creative control so that he can be the one responsible for not adding Geno, or Waluigi, or any of the other characters we want.

This isn’t directed at one person and I don’t want to come off ass abrasive. I’m just tired.
So Steve's inclusion is only good now because he is the most popular game? So if he wasn't, he shouldn't be in Smash no more? Only Popular characters should get in? Super Popularity Bros?

*Nintendo added DQ

At this point I'd like to point out that there are many more potential characters outside of Geno that would be fun to include. There's kind of a hyper focus on just Geno here at this moment.

I personally think Isaac would be real cool for example.
True. I would personally add to

Shadow
Enemy Octoling
Android 21
Decidueye (He got robbed)
Marx or Magalor

to the list

to the l

What does people wrongly accusing Sakurai of bias change the fact Nintendo was the one who still chose the Fighter Pass 1 and 2?

Who is to says that Nintendo wasn't behind these characters in Smash 4 especially with Corrin and Bayonetta inclusion when Sora and Banjo where the most requested?

So Steve's inclusion is only good now because he is the most popular game? So if he wasn't, he shouldn't be in Smash no more? Only Popular characters should get in? Super Popularity Bros?

*Nintendo added DQ

True. I would personally add to

Shadow
Enemy Octoling
Android 21
Decidueye (He got robbed)
Marx or Magalor

to the list

to the l
Bro, Android 21 comes from Dragon Ball franchise, which is non-VG Franchise and it's not like Sora that can be toned down, but it's more likely an issue since her addition would cause Goku to get in.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I know it’s a wildly unpopular opinion but I’m personally 100% okay with Smash branching out into non-video game properties. As long as the character is cool and looks fun to play, I’m good with pretty much anything. It doesn’t matter to me where the character originated. I’d love to see matchups like Samus vs Predator or Cloud vs Ichigo. I don’t really see how it’s any worse than the guest characters in Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur.

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I think the idea of a playable Tetronimo is funny but I personally prefer characters to have at least a little more personality than a block. I definitely think TETRIS is important enough that it could have had a fighter but it just doesn’t have any actual characters.
That the beauty of it though the fact that the tetris block being just a block is such a unique concept because it pushes the boundaries on what can be made a playable fighter and also the fact that it represents the puzzle genre and its one of the most popular games of all time
Lowkey makes it my most wanted character and possibly the most deserving character that has yet to be in smash(yeah i went there)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Smash branches out to include anime and other non gaming characters, Smash might indeed become a "promotion fest" as was always claimed with the abundance of 3rd party characters since Smash 4. I'm against that honestly, but I guess with Sora in the game we're already sort of halfway there.

If Disney allows Sora to be in Smash, Mickey Mouse isn't a longshot. Then there's the fact that with Nickelodeon All Star Brawl and the original Jump Super Stars being Smash clones, anime and cartoon characters might jump on board cause their respective owners already gave the approval of them being in a game that's based off Smash Bros... So even if I'm against it, I expect it to happen eventually.

If Smash branches out to include anime and other non gaming characters, Smash might indeed become a "promotion fest" as was always claimed with the abundance of 3rd party characters since Smash 4. I'm against that honestly, but I guess with Sora in the game we're already sort of halfway there.

If Disney allows Sora to be in Smash, Mickey Mouse isn't a longshot. Then there's the fact that with Nickelodeon All Star Brawl and the original Jump Super Stars being Smash clones, anime and cartoon characters might jump on board cause their respective owners already gave the approval of them being in a game that's based off Smash Bros... So even if I'm against it, I expect it to happen eventually.
Guess the next smash will be "MUGEN: The Platform Fighter".

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That the beauty of it though the fact that the tetris block being just a block is such a unique concept because it pushes the boundaries on what can be made a playable fighter and also the fact that it represents the puzzle genre and its one of the most popular games of all time
Lowkey makes it my most wanted character and possibly the most deserving character that has yet to be in smash(yeah i went there)
That’s fair. I’m not really opposed to a Tetromino as a fighter and I do agree that TETRIS deserves more representation in Smash. I just think that a stage is the perfect way to represent the series. The comedic value of a playable block would probably overshadow any disappointment I might have had anyway.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Disney allows Sora to be in Smash, Mickey Mouse isn't a longshot.
Yeah, but...Sakurai did make sure most of the explicitly Disney stuff in KH was scrubbed entirely, leaving only the Mickey Mouse keychain. If he made the KH content focus solely on characters, locations, and music created for it, Mario ain't punching Mickey any time soon.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Other than the fact that Sakurai stated he did not intend to do it, is there anything inherently worse about non-video game characters in Smash than Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur? MK and SC have established universes with their own characters so I would think guests from other media would be less fitting than Smash which was built as a crossover from the start.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Other than the fact that Sakurai stated he did not intend to do it, is there anything inherently worse about non-video game characters in Smash than Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur? MK and SC have established universes with their own characters so I would think guests from other media would be less fitting than Smash which was built as a crossover from the start.
In Smash's case, it wasn't just built as a crossover from the start, it was built as a VIDEO GAME crossover.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
In Smash's case, it wasn't just built as a crossover from the start, it was built as a VIDEO GAME crossover.
True, but it was also built as a Nintendo crossover and they changed that with Brawl. You could argue that the game has already evolved past its original concept and is now a general gaming crossover. I don’t think it’s much more of a stretch to go one more step and include non-gaming characters. Other games have done it and it’s worked out well for them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
True, but it was also built as a Nintendo crossover and they changed that with Brawl. You could argue that the game has already evolved past its original concept and is now a general gaming crossover. I don’t think it’s much more of a stretch to go one more step and include non-gaming characters. Other games have done it and it’s worked out well for them.
It works out for them because their fanbases aren't spoiled rotten by the inclusion of guests. It's still acceptable to hope Reptile comes back in a future MK or Tekken 8 finally brings back Jun Kazama.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It works out for them because their fanbases aren't spoiled rotten by the inclusion of guests. It's still acceptable to hope Reptile comes back in a future MK or Tekken 8 finally brings back Jun Kazama.
Yeah, I think the fact that I used to mod Brawl for years helped me become more open to the idea. I’m already used to tons of non-gaming characters in Smash through modding so it doesn’t really bother me if it happens in the actual game. Not that I was ever really opposed to the idea in the first place.

I swear to God, if future Smash Titles like Smash 6 would become MUGEN of Gaming, then I'll go nuts.
Especially when Smash will confirm 4th parties, resulting a huge insane crossover.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The fanbase would be the problem you say? We went from "3rd party characters are taking all the slots" to "3rd party newcomers are more hype" pretty quickly. I'm with Gengar on this one. And I don't even want it to happen.

Maybe they'll just add very few non videogame characters first like they did with Brawl, maybe it'll start with just Goku, cause honestly I think Goku easily has the most fan support of any character imaginable. And again, I don't like it either.

And yeah I know the Disney stuff is very limited, but it's still there. That's them being half way on-board in my eyes.

I personally want first party owned characters most, Dixie, Cranky and Funky Kong, Isaac (with a Felix Echo plz), Impa, any of the Champions of Breath of the Wild (Urbosa or Daruk are my preferences), Dimitri from FE3H, any sort of beast Ganon, Skull Kid, Chozo Warrior who must not be named from Metroid Dread, Toad or if they must Captain Toad... Those are characters I want the most. A favorite of the 3rd party possibilities is Monster Hunter, but he's a huge exception.

Sponge Bob, Mickey Mouse, Goku, the Hulk, Batman and the Ninja Turtles can stay out.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I swear to God, if future Smash Titles like Smash 6 would become MUGEN of Gaming, then I'll go nuts.
Especially when Smash will confirm 4th parties, resulting a huge insane crossover.
It is definitely one way to make Smash 6 stand out and not just feel like a worse Ultimate which I’m worried might end up happening. I can only imagine what the speculation scene would be like if that happened.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm not saying it's impossible but I can't help but feel like some people are grossly overstating the inevitability of "fourth-party" characters making their way into Smash.

Neither Sakurai nor Nintendo have ever shown any signs of taking non-video characters seriously after that one James Bond incident over 20 years ago and there are dozens upon dozens of video game characters left until they may be "forced" to consider them to out-hype the previous newcomers. Not that they need to.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
We went from "3rd party characters are taking all the slots" to "3rd party newcomers are more hype" pretty quickly.
Yeah and we'll be going from "non-game characters are taking all the slots" to "non-game newcomers are more hype" quickly since a good chunk of Smash fans only care about TEH HYEP!!!! of potential newcomers over anything else, including playing the game.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm not saying it's impossible but I can't help but feel like some people are grossly overstating the inevitability of "fourth-party" characters making their way into Smash.

Neither Sakurai nor Nintendo have ever shown any signs of taking non-video characters seriously after that one James Bond incident over 20 years ago and there are dozens upon dozens of video game characters left until they may be "forced" to consider them to out-hype the previous newcomers. Not that they need to.
Oh, it’s definitely not inevitable. I personally wouldn’t put money on it happening anytime soon. I’m just saying that I’d be totally fine if Smash ends up going that route.

As far as only wanting HYPE characters, I’m probably about as far from that as possible lol. My top three most wanted characters are Zegram Ghart, Magus, and the Battletoads. If it wasn’t for me bringing him up once in a while, I’m pretty sure no one here would have any idea who Zegram is. I’m sure even the Battletoads and Magus aren’t very well known either these days.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If you want a crossover game with 4th Party characters, there is Fortnite down the corner.
If you want to play a game with DK, Yoshi, Wario, and Mario, there is Mario Party down the corner.

You could say the same thing about any character that someone wants. Want to play as Master Chief? Halo is down the corner. Waluigi? Mario Kart is down the corner!

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure James Bond was never even considered... The reason people assume he was considered was based on a response to a fan question... Same goes with krystal honestly... They were characters that were mentioned by third parties that Sakurai just happened to respond to, with him never even saying whether they were considered for the game itself, which is what matters... With james bond, all he said was how it was kinda obvious as to why it was impossible in response to a fan, and Krystal was a question that was prompted by Wolf's inclusion asked by the interviewer, not at all by Sakurai... So whilst on a technical level they were considered when the interviewer asked the question, it's not in a way that we know for sure that Sakurai considered them based on these interviews or questions in the way that people say means they were considered when they were actually picking characters to include during the development of any smash games at the time or after... I imagine Krystal has probably been considered at one point, but that interview absolutely does not mean she would have ever made it in over Wolf... It was just a quote taken out of context cos it was prompted by an outside source, in this case being the interviewer...

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I think tilt attacks should be standardized as the right-stick already. It just feels natural. The name is fine and could still stay (or it could be referred to as the characters "flick" or "quick" attacks) but so many of my friends playing the game weren't even aware of tilt attacks at all and were subsequently surprised to realize they have 3 attacks that they had no idea about.

During Christmas I brought my switch over for the little ones to have some fun with and the really littles ones (3 and 5) were actually using the tilt attacks intuitively in the direction of their opponent! Lots of button mashing yes but some actual proper tilt attack usage from toddlers! Seeing them land their tilts on the screen inspired me to observe their controllers while in action and sure enough they actually understood to flick the right-stick towards their opponent! I was very impressed with that and it really solidified my established feelings on the matter.

I think having it be registered to Smash attacks by default is just redundant and unnecessary because it makes tilt attacks very inconvenient and inaccessible to most players.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah and we'll be going from "non-game characters are taking all the slots" to "non-game newcomers are more hype" quickly since a good chunk of Smash fans only care about TEH HYEP!!!! of potential newcomers over anything else, including playing the game.
Am very afraid that this is the case yeah.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If you want to play a game with DK, Yoshi, Wario, and Mario, there is Mario Party down the corner.

You could say the same thing about any character that someone wants. Want to play as Master Chief? Halo is down the corner. Waluigi? Mario Kart is down the corner!
I agree with the sentiment but it's also true that expecting Smash to provide every crossover dream is a bit unrealistic. Thankfully, there are new platformer fighters coming out more frequently.

I think tilt attacks should be standardized as the right-stick already. It just feels natural. The name is fine and could still stay (or it could be referred to as the characters "flick" or "quick" attacks) but so many of my friends playing the game weren't even aware of tilt attacks at all and were subsequently surprised to realize they have 3 attacks that they had no idea about.

During Christmas I brought my switch over for the little ones to have some fun with and the really littles ones (3 and 5) were actually using the tilt attacks intuitively in the direction of their opponent! Lots of button mashing yes but some actual proper tilt attack usage from toddlers! Seeing them land their tilts on the screen inspired me to observe their controllers while in action and sure enough they actually understood to flick the right-stick towards their opponent! I was very impressed with that and it really solidified my established feelings on the matter.

I think having it be registered to Smash attacks by default is just redundant and unnecessary because it makes tilt attacks very inconvenient and inaccessible to most players.
Tbh, if someone doesn't know about tilt attacks' existence, they're likely not losing much by not using them.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Am very afraid that this is the case yeah.
How is that any different than now? I’d love to see characters like the Battletoads or Raziel in Smash but they are being overshadowed by hype characters like Master Chief, Dante, and Crash or commonly requested characters like Geno or Waluigi. I’m fine with getting any of those characters but people like me who prefer more obscure characters are already left out. There are more than enough generally hype characters in gaming alone that my personal favorites already have virtually no chance.

I don’t want to come off as complaining or entitled. I’m really happy with the roster we have and realize that not everything can cater to my specific taste. I’m fine with the general hype characters too, I’m just making a point that I’ve resigned the fact that most of my personal favorite characters will never make it into Smash and I’m okay with that.

Last edited:
How is that any different than now? I’d love to see characters like the Battletoads or Raziel in Smash but they are being overshadowed by hype characters like Master Chief, Dante, and Crash or commonly requested characters like Geno or Waluigi. I’m fine with getting any of those characters but people like me who prefer more obscure characters are already left out. There are more than enough generally hype characters in gaming alone that my personal favorites already have virtually no chance.

I don’t want to come off as complaining or entitled. I’m really happy with the roster we have and realize that not everything can cater to my specific taste. I’m fine with the general hype characters too, I’m just making a point that I’ve resigned the fact that most of my personal favorite characters will never make it into Smash and I’m okay with that.
What about Doom Guy?
He is also annoyingly requested character.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What about Doom Guy?
He is also annoyingly requested character.
Him too. I think Doom Guy would actually be pretty cool but he isn’t anywhere near my most wanted. I feel that way about most popularly requested characters. I’m totally fine with all of them but they aren’t exactly my favorite characters ever.

There are very few characters I’m actually outright opposed to but most of the popular choices wouldn’t be overly hype to me personally. Most would get a “pretty cool, I’ll try him/her out.” from me.

Last edited:
Him too. I think Doom Guy would actually be pretty cool but he isn’t anywhere near my most wanted. I feel that way about most popularly requested characters. I’m totally fine with all of them but they aren’t exactly my favorite characters ever.

There are very few characters I’m actually outright opposed to but most of the popular choices wouldn’t be overly hype to me personally. Most would get a “pretty cool, I’ll try him/her out.” from me.
Yeah, especially being very popular Gaming Icon.
I could want to see Doom Guy in Smash as Playable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

You make strong points this whole page. There isn't much of a difference, what you said basically is the situation with the Square Enix characters "vs" Geno what has been going on for ages here.

There's of course no chance Rare / Microsoft would license the Battletoads before Banjo, and Steve later of course. Banjo has more direct links with Nintendo and Smash fan bases, and is a project of passion of Rare anyway, and Steve is from the most played game in the world. I doubt Battletoads would make it if they'd include more Rare characters, I'm guessing Conker or even Mumbo Jumbo would go before them, maybe even animals from Viva Pinata? The Jet Force Gemini protagonists?

I get what you mean yeah. If it ever happens I doubt they will throw in as many fourth party characters as they ever did with third parties. I bet the license costs are over the roof as well.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Tbh, if someone doesn't know about tilt attacks' existence, they're likely not losing much by not using them.
Whether it's considered much or not much that's 3 unique attacks they're missing out on. I find the default way to register the input to be unintuitive and awkward. There never will be a day I'm against button-mapping because on principle I feel like giving the player the most choice possible is the best design (I really liked the idea somebody posted earlier about making your own pallet swaps for example) but default controls do matter and they should ideally be the most convenient way to access your options.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Once they really dip their feet into nonvidya territory, it'll be just as verboten to talk about Master Chief or Kratos as it is to talk about the Chorus Kids now. And even if I was sick of people thinking MC was a lock because of potential hype, that is not the solution to my woes.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You make strong points this whole page. There isn't much of a difference, what you said basically is the situation with the Square Enix characters "vs" Geno what has been going on for ages here.

There's of course no chance Rare / Microsoft would license the Battletoads before Banjo, and Steve later of course. Banjo has more direct links with Nintendo and Smash fan bases, and is a project of passion of Rare anyway, and Steve is from the most played game in the world. I doubt Battletoads would make it if they'd include more Rare characters, I'm guessing Conker or even Mumbo Jumbo would go before them, maybe even animals from Viva Pinata? The Jet Force Gemini protagonists?

I get what you mean yeah. If it ever happens I doubt they will throw in as many fourth party characters as they ever did with third parties. I bet the license costs are over the roof as well.
There are a few things keeping me from completely giving up hope on the Battletoads eventually getting into Smash. The first is that Microsoft have been pushing them a bit more than most other RARE properties. They made cameo appearances in Shovel Knight and Killer Instinct and even got a brand new game. They also represent a different console generation and genre compared to Banjo. That’s one thing that Conker lacks. If Nintendo wants a third party retro rep, the Battletoads are contenders in my opinion. I’d put them just below Ryu Hyabusa and Bill Rizer for potential NES reps but I could see Nintendo going with any of them.

I feel like they are more commonly known than a lot of RARE’s other properties like Blast Corps, Jet Force Jemini, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, and Kameo. I feel like their biggest competition is with Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark. Perfect Dark is getting a new game and there are rumors of another KI game in the works. I think Fulgore would be almost as good as the Toads and Joanna Dark would be really cool as well.

All that said, the Toads are still a long shot but I feel like their chances are better than most of my other most wanted characters. That probably says more about how unlikely my other characters are than the Battletoads being likely but oh well lol.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
There are a few things keeping me from completely giving up hope on the Battletoads eventually getting into Smash. The first is that Microsoft have been pushing them a bit more than most other RARE properties. They made cameo appearances in Shovel Knight and Killer Instinct and even got a brand new game. They also represent a different console generation and genre compared to Banjo. That’s one thing that Conker lacks. If Nintendo wants a third party retro rep, the Battletoads are contenders in my opinion. I’d put them just below Ryu Hyabusa and Bill Rizer for potential NES reps but I could see Nintendo going with any of them.

I feel like they are more commonly known than a lot of RARE’s other properties like Blast Corps, Jet Force Jemini, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, and Kameo. I feel like their biggest competition is with Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark. Perfect Dark is getting a new game and there are rumors of another KI game in the works. I think Fulgore would be almost as good as the Toads and Joanna Dark would be really cool as well.

All that said, the Toads are still a long shot but I feel like their chances are better than most of my other most wanted characters. That probably says more about how unlikely my other characters are than the Battletoads being likely but oh well lol.
I was surprised to see battletoads playable in a project m mod (ssb universe iirc) so I guess they're not as out there for picks as one would think... Hope they get in!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I was surprised to see battletoads playable in a project m mod (ssb universe iirc) so I guess they're not as out there for picks as one would think... Hope they get in!
I’m curious about that mod now. I wonder if it’s using the models my brother and I made years ago. I’ve never seen any other custom Battletoads models in Smash other than the ones we made.

By any chance, do remember if they looked like this? This is one of my custom Brawl models:

1640804796388.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom