• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
My main wants for the next game would be:

• Rayman (likely)
  • Shovel Knight (decent)
  • Waluigi (likey)
  • ToeJam and Earl (the planets would have to allign)
  • Dixie Kong (kinda likely)
  • master Chief (kinda likely)
  • bandana Dee (likely)
  • Sir Daniel Fortesque (there isn't a single timeline this happens)

I think that's it for ones that would get me to pop off. There's ones I'd want for my friend's sakes but just focused on personal wants this time. Pretty western I know and obviously wouldn't get them all, but there's hardly any Japanese characters left that interest me tbh
Might as well list mine. Here goes:
  • Sol Badguy, Ky Kiske, Ragna.... just ANY excuse to get Daisuke's Music in Smash
  • V1 Ultrakill
  • Annie of the Stars
  • Shez (yes really)
  • Dixie Kong
  • Euden
  • Midna
  • Salmon Runner
  • PaRappa
    None of these are happening but these are all of the Fighters I personally want.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
2nd model is more accurate. They're not supposed to have noses.
I like them a lot more in the second video. I agree they look better without the noses.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

• Rayman (likely)
  • Shovel Knight (decent)
  • Waluigi (likey)
  • bandana Dee (likely)

I think that's it for ones that would get me to pop off. There's ones I'd want for my friend's sakes but just focused on personal wants this time. Pretty western I know and obviously wouldn't get them all, but there's hardly any Japanese characters left that interest me tbh
Sir Dan may not be the likeliest choice from Sony, but he's definitely one of my favorites from them. He's just so weirdly charming and offbeat, lol.

Laniv

Smash Champion

• Rayman (likely)
  • Shovel Knight (decent)
  • Waluigi (likey)
  • bandana Dee (likely)

Most wanted characters? Let's see...

Toad
King Boo
Pauline
Dixie Kong
Tom Nook
Bandana Dee
Tails
Ganon (Big Blue Pig)
Magolor
Elma (from Xenoblade X)
Bomberman

...in no particular order.

except for Toad, who has been my most wanted since Brawl

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yes! I'm here for this.

About there even being another game... Yeah there's gonna be another game. The only fighting franchise I can think of that went as many iterations as Smash has and eventually died is Virtua Fighter. I could be wrong tho. But the point is that Smash isnt just a logical cash grab, it's a system seller and unless Sakurai dies before development starts he's going to play a role, even if it's only to give his blessings to a new director.
I wouldn't say Virtua Fighter died, tbh, it just was dormant for a long while. After all, Ultimate Showdown is clearly SEGA testing the waters for a brand new entry.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Sir Dan may not be the likeliest choice from Sony, but he's definitely one of my favorites from them. He's just so weirdly charming and offbeat, lol.
The only sword fighter I'd welcome with open arms at this point ❤

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay serious question time.

Bowser Jr.

Would he have gotten in if it weren't for the eight character gimmick? Jr. just seems like a character that wouldn't normally be on their radar. We know characters get added partially because of gameplay elements (like Zero Suit Samus showing of Final Smashes and Palutena showing off custom moves). Was Jr. added to show off eight player Smash? We know Jr. almost didn't make it into Smash 4 and was low priority. Could this have been because he'd only show off a gameplay element of one version of Smash 4? His moveset is even designed to be as clown car centric as possible. It's almost like he was always designed with the Koopalings in mind.

For the record, I love Jr. His moveset is super fun and unique. I love the character. He was always a popular request since Pre-Brawl times and I think he the roll he fills as a villainous sidekick is fantastic. Alongside Robin and Cloud, he's one of my favorite Smash 4 newcomers to play. He was also one of my personal requests at the time.

But I just got to wonder, you know? Did Jr. just luck out?

:4bowserjr::ultbowserjr:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay serious question time.

Bowser Jr.

Would he have gotten in if it weren't for the eight character gimmick? Jr. just seems like a character that wouldn't normally be on their radar. We know characters get added partially because of gameplay elements (like Zero Suit Samus showing of Final Smashes and Palutena showing off custom moves). Was Jr. added to show off eight player Smash? We know Jr. almost didn't make it into Smash 4 and was low priority. Could this have been because he'd only show off a gameplay element of one version of Smash 4? His moveset is even designed to be as clown car centric as possible. It's almost like he was always designed with the Koopalings in mind.

For the record, I love Jr. His moveset is super fun and unique. I love the character. He was always a popular request since Pre-Brawl times and I think he the roll he fills as a villainous sidekick is fantastic. Alongside Robin and Cloud, he's one of my favorite Smash 4 newcomers to play. He was also one of my personal requests at the time.

But I just got to wonder, you know? Did Jr. just luck out?

:4bowserjr::ultbowserjr:
That seems possible for Smash 4. We know that he was lucky to make it in at all and a lot of newcomers in that game were added or at the very least designed with the central mechanics in mind. That's just speculation on my mind but I feel like Sakurai was thinking about a fighter to promote 8-player Smash and Bowser Jr. was there.

That being said, he's a pretty prominent Mario character so even if he missed the boat in Smash 4, he'd be a likely addition to Ultimate.

Also, let's keep in mind that the reason Bowser Jr. was a low priority could be because of how much extra modeling work he required due to Koopalings. If it weren't for them, maybe he'd have an easier time making it in on time. Who knows?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Everyone seems to want characters from Metroid Dread (Which i didnt play or watch BTW)
But one Metroid Character gets overlooked big time:

I mean not only is the franchise named after them they are also the right size (I know the ridley thing but still) and they have tons of moveset Potential by Utulizing their Evolutions and Variants!

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wonder how long we have until Smash fans campaign for cutting all Mario and Sonic characters in Smash (they use swords when fencing in the Olympics games)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I wonder how long we have until Smash fans campaign for cutting all Mario and Sonic characters in Smash (they use swords when fencing in the Olympics games)
Now that you mention it, they both had animes based on them...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Pokémon hit 1008 new Pokémon and officially showed off every new Pokémon.
I was expecting more from that video, but I'm sure some fans will do it right later...and be, like, an hour long.

I'll also be able to appreciate it more when they add goddamn Home integration to S/V!

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I was expecting more from that video, but I'm sure some fans will do it right later...and be, like, an hour long.

I'll also be able to appreciate it more when they add goddamn Home integration to S/V!
Yeah, I can imagine, they have to go at hyper speed for every Pokémon pre-S/V that wasn't super remarkable in each theme they were showing in order to don't make the video a movie.

But yeah, I'm sure someone is gonna eventually make a deluxe edition of this concept.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

As much as I wanted them to make MissingNo. canon for this (as unlikely as that was), this guy looks like a fun fellow to be around.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield featured the Expansion Pass, a DLC consisting of The Isle of Armor and The Crown Tundra. Does this mean they'll be making Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet Expansion Pass content as well?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield featured the Expansion Pass, a DLC consisting of The Isle of Armor and The Crown Tundra. Does this mean they'll be making Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet Expansion Pass content as well?
I think that would be a safe bet. There’s already a lot of rumors on what it could be but I don’t know how reliable they are.

Dukefire

Smash Master

As much as I wanted them to make MissingNo. canon for this (as unlikely as that was), this guy looks like a fun fellow to be around.
Though the LONG grind to nab 999 Gimmighoul coins makes it hard for its evolution.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Here's something I'd like to talk about: Dedede's appearance.

For those of you who don't know, Dedede's design was changed in Forgotten Land to more closely resemble the one he had in Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64, making him overall rounder and making his head less distinct from his body, with his mouth design also changing to be more of a wedge with mouth rather than his current beak.

While the Kirby developers have admitted that they are constantly changing Dedede's design, it looks like the same base is being used for his Returns to Dreamland Deluxe design.
1673562320905.png

What do you think of moving this design into Smash? Do you think it could work? Is it better or worse than his current smash design?

Personally, I grew up with the older Dedede Design, so I can't deny that I'm more attached to it. Still, his new one has a charm to it, and seems to move his design to be more friendly, which matches up with how he's been characterized lately. However, some of that cartoonish exaggeration seems harder on him with the new one, so I'm not certain they can keep that if it was moved into Smash.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

For those of you who don't know, Dedede's design was changed in Forgotten Land to more closely resemble the one he had in Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64, making him overall rounder and making his head less distinct from his body, with his mouth design also changing to be more of a wedge with mouth rather than his current beak.

While the Kirby developers have admitted that they are constantly changing Dedede's design, it looks like the same base is being used for his Returns to Dreamland Deluxe design.
View attachment 366400

What do you think of moving this design into Smash? Do you think it could work? Is it better or worse than his current smash design?

Personally, I grew up with the older Dedede Design, so I can't deny that I'm more attached to it. Still, his new one has a charm to it, and seems to move his design to be more friendly, which matches up with how he's been characterized lately. However, some of that cartoonish exaggeration seems harder on him with the new one, so I'm not certain they can keep that if it was moved into Smash.
I agree, I'm not big on this new design for him either. It feels a bit late to completely change the design of a major character. I hope they go back to the normal design in the next game, and really hope they don't bring it to Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

View attachment 366400

i prefer the old big eyed looked. felt like it fitted him better

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 366400

I have played Kirby games all my life, starting with Super Star. The Dedede I have always grown to love is the older one. I think they reason they want to change his design is to make it more obvious he's a penguin, because Dedede is honestly not that obvious to be penguin-like unless you look into it. But even with that, I still like his older design. He is able to show a wide range of exaggerated emotion through it and I think that's part of what makes Dedede special. This design isn't BAD, but it's much harder for this design to look and act like the Dedede we know

toonito

Smash Ace
my most wanted:

Sol Badguy
Zero
Chun-Li
Crash Bandicoot
Dante
Doom Slayer
Impa
Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine
Ryu Hayabusa
Tifa

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Speaking of Kirby...

Until Brawl it was just Kirby.

Brawl added MK and DDD AND assist trophy Knuckle Joe (and Halberd but that's beside the point).

So the ? I have is why isn't Knuckle Joe playable?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Speaking of Kirby...

Brawl added MK and DDD AND assist trophy Knuckle Joe (and Halberd but that's beside the point).

I mean, it's almost the equivalent of adding Piranha Plant to the game, since Knuckle Joe is mainly an enemy mook, except compared to Piranha Plant, Knuckle Joe had practically a decade of not appearing in a Kirby game until Super Star Ultra, a remake, and only after then did he return regularly to Kirby games as a mook(and also helper in Star Allies), until after Star Allies, as he wasn't in Forbidden Land.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Saw the most wanted lists rolling around. Mine are:
  • Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  • Doom Slayer (Doom)
  • Kiryu Kazuma (Yakuza / Like a Dragon)
  • Rayman
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Leon (Resident Evil)
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)
  • Noah (Xenoblade 3)
  • Lyn (Fire Emblem)
  • Master Chief (Halo)

Most are in no specific order but I would say the top 4 will remain the top 4.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Speaking of Kirby...

The long and short of it is... why would he be playable?

He isn't much of a character and honestly doesn't appear much. There isn't that huge historical significance that Piranha Plant had. He's a rare mook, and not exactly iconic. If Kirby were to include a generic enemy, there are a lot of better choices out there.

It's also ignoring the fact that there are a lot of Kirby main characters that people are clamoring for instead. Heroes like Bandana Waddle Dee and Adeleine, and villains like Marx and Magalor dominate the conversation because they've the ones that people really like. Knuckle Joe... doesn't have anywhere near the same fanbase.

He's perfect AT material.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Saw the most wanted lists rolling around. Mine are:
  • Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  • Doom Slayer (Doom)
  • Kiryu Kazuma (Yakuza / Like a Dragon)
  • Rayman
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Leon (Resident Evil)
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)
  • Noah (Xenoblade 3)
  • Lyn (Fire Emblem)
  • Master Chief (Halo)

Most are in no specific order but I would say the top 4 will remain the top 4.
Yoooo us Rayman bros gotta stick together, represent 🤜🤛

Ivander

Smash Legend
The long and short of it is... why would he be playable?

He isn't much of a character and honestly doesn't appear much. There isn't that huge historical significance that Piranha Plant had. He's a rare mook, and not exactly iconic. If Kirby were to include a generic enemy, there are a lot of better choices out there.
I mean, he does have character in the anime. Now I'm not saying that qualifies him, but I mean, Meta-Knight's JP voice actor was the same one as the anime. shrugging And he's not really a rare mook either. Often he's the first enemy you see on screen on the level you start doing.

The only real reason to really want him is you do like Knuckle Joe alot(whether it'd be his character from the anime or you like his design) and/or you want Kirby's Fighter moveset to be playable in Smash Bros. and for the most part, that's just Ryu.

Last edited:
Top Bottom