• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Dang I haven't opened this site in a long time, I kinda missed this place tbh.

I've been thinking about the next Nintendo console now that Nvidia rumors are ramping up. I expect the next console to release next year, especially since the average console lifespan doesn't take longer than 7 years. So that made me think about Smash, Sakurai is semi-retired according to his words, so the most I can expect from him regarding the next Smash is an executive supervisor role where he advises the next director and whatnot. After Smash Bros released on the N64 every Smash title released within the first two years of the console's life, which makes sense considering the series is a system seller. What do you all think? 2026 doesn't seem like an unlikely release date with all this in mind. I do wonder when will they finalize the development plan for the next game, since according to Sakurai nothing changes from the project plan once it's been finalized, so it leaves me wondering what could be the cut-off line this time.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'm more optimistic. With low long they've apparently been testing it behind closed doors, I bet the Switch 2 (or whatever it's called) gets announced at E3 and launches around November.

We might even see the next Smash game as soon as Holiday 2024. It'll have been a little more than three years after Ultimate wrapped up DLC, a few months longer than the gap from Smash 4's DLC to Ultimate's release.

I do wonder when will they finalize the development plan for the next game, since according to Sakurai nothing changes from the project plan once it's been finalized, so it leaves me wondering what could be the cut-off line this time.
We learned something related to that recently! One of Sakurai's videos showed the project plan for Ultimate had its final update in early November 2016, a couple weeks before Pokémon Sun and Moon hit shelves. While most newcomers are locked in early on, we know a few are given placeholder spots that are filled in later once their games are ready.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Smash 6's project plan was finalized...some time last week, shortly before the release of Fire Emblem Engage.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm more optimistic. With low long they've apparently been testing it behind closed doors, I bet the Switch 2 (or whatever it's called) gets announced at E3 and launches around November.

We might even see the next Smash game as soon as Holiday 2024. It'll have been a little more than three years after Ultimate wrapped up DLC, a few months longer than the gap from Smash 4's DLC to Ultimate's release.

We learned something related to that recently! One of Sakurai's videos showed the project plan for Ultimate had its final update in early November 2016, a couple weeks before Pokémon Sun and Moon hit shelves. While most newcomers are locked in early on, we know a few are given placeholder spots that are filled in later once their games are ready.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Smash 6's project plan was finalized...some time last week, shortly before the release of Fire Emblem Engage.
That's very interesting. Though I do wonder which gen our Pokemon slot for the next game will go to. If Greninja was any indication they can reserve a spot for the mons even a year in advance with nothing but concept art. I'm a bit peeved since Gen 9 had great Pokemon designs, but I very much expect gen 10 to supercede gen 9, assuming it's planned to release before the next Smash that is.

Last edited:

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
Dang I haven't opened this site in a long time, I kinda missed this place tbh.

I've been thinking about the next Nintendo console now that Nvidia rumors are ramping up. I expect the next console to release next year, especially since the average console lifespan doesn't take longer than 7 years. So that made me think about Smash, Sakurai is semi-retired according to his words, so the most I can expect from him regarding the next Smash is an executive supervisor role where he advises the next director and whatnot. After Smash Bros released on the N64 every Smash title released within the first two years of the console's life, which makes sense considering the series is a system seller. What do you all think? 2026 doesn't seem like an unlikely release date with all this in mind. I do wonder when will they finalize the development plan for the next game, since according to Sakurai nothing changes from the project plan once it's been finalized, so it leaves me wondering what could be the cut-off line this time.
Funnily enough same here, I've been lurking here again but haven't rly been talking. But I also think the new Nintendo console is on the horizon, which I also think they'd want a new Smash. However, I don't even think a new Smash has a project plan yet, I think we are still 2 years away at the very least. I am expecting a 2026 release tbh. I used to believe they'd make a Deluxe version of Ultimate, but quite honestly overtime I think that's not gonna be the case. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a new standard game, I don't think it'll be a "reboot" like people thinking they are gonna cut half the roster. It's just gonna be a new game, that's it, lol.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Forget for a hot sec about whether the next gen hardware will actually happen this year or next....I'll ask: do you all want it that soon, or are you content to ride out the current Switch for a while longer?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Forget for a hot sec about whether the next gen hardware will actually happen this year or next....I'll ask: do you all want it that soon, or are you content to ride out the current Switch for a while longer?
My answer to that question depends solely on the answers to two questions.

1. Is it backwards compatible?
2. Are my saves transferable?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
id rather it doesn’t. at the rate of console prices increase I dread to think how much money I’ll spend on it.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
I am fine with the Switch, it doesn't rly feel that old. But admittedly, I think for the sake of future games for any franchise, they need to switch to new hardware that can handle things much better than the Switch. I am really hyped for Tears of the Kingdom, Prime 4, Pikmin 4, but I am also scared for how they may run. I am not really a person who cares all that much about graphics, but I DO care about having decent framerate and not being able to run into glitches easily.

I am under the assumption personally that this "new console" is just what the 3DS was to the DS. We don't know that for sure, but with the continued success of the Switch, they are probably just gonna make essentially a "Switch 2".

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Shield + B sounds way too awkward to get rid of a Kirby hat. ...Doesn't Shield + B just make you use your B move anyway? Why would you want to get rid of a good one?

The problem with having it something besides a Taunt is that it becomes much more difficult to notice it immediately as well as that Taunts on most characters don't even matter. Also, Kirby's taunts are fast enough, but so is getting rid of a Kirby hat. Not everything needs a special command. It works for exactly what it meant to do. Nice and simple.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Going back to Geralt and not countinng Public Domain works, can we argue that Adaptational Displacement is a factor on the popularity of a franchise? YES! (kinda)
i mean, more people know about Yu-Gi-Oh! for the Card Game rather than the Manga (and that's excludes the anime). But gatekeep other forms of entertainment is Smash's own identity (aside of everything else). The only "non-video game" content that i can see coming to Smash is the Ultra Hand as an item and nothing else.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I expect new hardware in 2024. Though some articles paint 2023 as being dead except for the new Zelda game their statement about "midlife" lines up with 23 being the year to build anticipation for the next console, and for 24 to see the next mainline games of each major franchise.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
I want to bring up something that's been concerning to me. I think Ultimate DLC really messed with people's expectations when it comes to a new Smash. I've seen way too many 3rd party predictions compared to 1st party ones. There's only around 2-3 NEW 3rd parties each base game, and Ultimate's base game only had 1 unique one. There's a reason DLC has all these 3rd parties, and that's because that's what brings in the money for both parties, and it gives more time for negotiation and rights to be sorted out. What I've been seeing is less base game speculation, and more next DLC speculation, which is practically 4-5 years away at this point if even. I've seen people say that 1st parties aren't that exciting, and that there's not many to add left that "deserve" it, which is very untrue. It being "unexciting" didn't stop Nintendo from putting 1st parties as DLC as well...Smash 4 sold 1st party SEMICLONES as DLC. I just think people need to temper their expectations quite a lot, we will for sure get cool DLC, but that being the focus of current speculation doesn't rly make sense.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
My answer to my own question, btw, is that I'd like to see what the current Switch install base could do for some smaller series that have been MIA to this point...the rumored KI remake, Star Fox, Golden Sun, and the like. Even more decidedly not-small stuff like a new DK. I feel that sticking with the Switch for a while gives us a better chance of seeing more of that.
Plus I think that, generally, complaints about the Switch's performance, visuals, etc. are a bit overblown; the software they're putting out for it is still generally awesome.

Ivander

Smash Legend

I want to add a 3rd.
3. Will the Switch eShop come alongside the new console, allowing titles from the eShop to be bought on the new console? We were lucky with the DSi titles being available on the 3DS shop. Can we be lucky with the Switch eShop titles coming to the new console?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I want to bring up something that's been concerning to me. I think Ultimate DLC really messed with people's expectations when it comes to a new Smash. I've seen way too many 3rd party predictions compared to 1st party ones. There's only around 2-3 NEW 3rd parties each base game, and Ultimate's base game only had 1 unique one. There's a reason DLC has all these 3rd parties, and that's because that's what brings in the money for both parties, and it gives more time for negotiation and rights to be sorted out. What I've been seeing is less base game speculation, and more next DLC speculation, which is practically 4-5 years away at this point if even. I've seen people say that 1st parties aren't that exciting, and that there's not many to add left that "deserve" it, which is very untrue. It being "unexciting" didn't stop Nintendo from putting 1st parties as DLC as well...Smash 4 sold 1st party SEMICLONES as DLC. I just think people need to temper their expectations quite a lot, we will for sure get cool DLC, but that being the focus of current speculation doesn't rly make sense.
Yeah, I think you’re right on that. I’m expecting somewhere around 75-80% of the base game newcomers to be first party. The main reason I talk more about third party characters is because I already have most of the realistic first party characters I really wanted. I’d still love to see Officer Howard, Noah/Mio, EMMI or Raven Beak, Dixie Kong, Impa, Isaac, and Koraidon or some other new Pokémon I like. There are other less likely first party characters like Medusa, Jena Anderson, Gengar, Goomba, Wart, and a few others that I really want but I’m not holding my breath on.

Other than those, there’s not a whole lot left I’m personally excited for as far as first party characters go. I love Nintendo but I also love many characters that aren’t owned by them. Since I already have most of my most wanted Nintendo characters, I’m just personally more invested in what we get for guests.

Troykv

Smash Master
I’ve got a fun little Smash “What if” scenario for you all.

What if Brawl got an updated rerelease on the Wii in 2010?

Sakurai mentioned that the Wii could not handle DLC in the way most fighting games would, at least not easily. So what if Sakurai and the team quickly made an updated rerelease in lieu of DLC? What would the roster for that look like? How would it affect future Smash games?

I’ll post my roster and thoughts later.
Well I imagine the incomplete characters (at least the ones that were definitely intented to be done, which I believe are Dr. Mario, Mewtwo and Roy) could have been part of it, and potentially Dixie too... Otherwise, it could have been curious... I imagine developing the Miis could have been too resource heavy to actually do... Is possible Villager could have been re-considered already at this point compared with the original proporsal? If that is the case it would became a high priority pick. Besides that, I'm not sure, maybe promoting so ATs? Though, the only one that I imagine could benefit from the new time window could be Isaac.

About characters that missed the cut because of time windows that I can remember that were releasing between the end of Brawl's character selection (2005 + Sonic) and when this updated version likely could have started development (2008~2009?) that could have been interesting choices I believe are Rosalina, the re-designed Little Mac, Micaiah, and a Black/White Pokémon (based on precedent and how things worked out since then).

Last edited:

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
Here's my current thoughts on likely newcomers. Smash Brawl/4 had a roster estimate of 18 newcomers in base game, quite a lot! We could get that again, assuming that they aren't gonna bring back everyone (sadly). Here is my reasoning behind ALL of them.

Bandana Waddle Dee: There's no way in my eyes that he doesn't make it in this time. He has time and time again shown he is here to stay, he is canonically Kirby's best friend (besides Gooey Ig) and has had MAJOR roles in Kirby games since Return to Dreamland. In Forgotten Land, he is literally your only ally! If he were to be ignored, something seriously wrong would be going on.

Meowscarda: I think Smash will be developed at a time where Gen 10 isn't quite ready yet, so I think they'll settle for the current one. Although I don't like Scarlet and Violet, I do like Meowscarda, and it is a very popular current gen Pokémon who is also a grass type, fufilling the role of a fully evolved grass starter in the roster of Pokémon.

King Boo: Not sure how many will agree with me here, but King Boo is a likely Mario character in my eyes. Luigi's Mansion is still going as a franchise, and King Boo has appeared many times throughout the Mario franchise, and has remained the main antagonist in Luigi's Mansion. Lots of moveset potential to be had!

Waluigi: Lol. I think they will include him just because it'd be the easiest thing in the world and it'd appease so many fans. Very famous Mario character, very requested, easy to get and creative moveset potential. If he doesn't get in, then Toad will be the one to take his place.

Sylux: Prime 4 has been stated multiple times to be about Samus and Sylux. Whether that's still true or not is up to you. But Prime 4 surely will come out at least 2 years before the next Smash game. Sylux being in Hunters, teased TWICE in previous titles to return, and directly being said to be a rival to Samus is surely something. Many people predict Raven Beak, and while Raven Beak surely has tons of potential with an arguably obvious moveset, I think they'd rather promote the current Metroid title at the time.

Shadow: Highly requested and quite expected last time. Sonic will probably get another character, me thinks. I am not sure if it'll be unique though, although I'd quite enjoy Tails. However I think they'll go with Shadow, who'd be an easy echo, and is very popular.

Octolings: Shoe-in, nothing more to say, literally if you could say a character is a lock it's this one. Whether echo or not, Octolings are a must-have.

Chibi-Robo: This is a little bias, but I do believe he has a genuine chance. There aren't many new 1st party franchises to include, and it's pretty important and regular for Smash to include many new franchises throughout Nintendo's history. Although the current status of Chibi-Robo isn't that great, he has shown extremely well moveset potential, and has around 5 titles in the past 2 decades. Chibi-Robo also received a mii costume, although not saying much, that is shown that he was considered important enough or requested enough to receive one. I don't think many people would argue or question their inclusion.

Louie: Pikmin is having a major comeback, and it may be time for the series to receive a new fighter. Louie is the secondary main character to the series, having major roles in Pikmin 2 and 3. Whether he comes back to Pikmin 4 is unknown, but wherever Olimar goes, Louie will probably follow, which makes him a great contender as a possible echo fighter. However, I argue he has the ability to be unique, but I am lowering that expectation because he'd be fine as an echo as well.

Rhyhtm Heaven character: I put Chorus Kids here because they were meant to be in Smash 4. I assume they couldn't because of technical limitations. Then Smash Ultimate came along, and I am not sure what happened, but I guess they were just low priority due to how Ultimate's characters were chosen. Rhythm Heaven is a pretty iconic Nintendo franchise still not in Smash as a playable character, I think it'd make a lot of sense.

Isaac: This one is based mostly off of rumors, but if Golden Sun were to make a comeback in some form, Isaac's one roadblock would be completely removed. Already known to be highly requested, it'd be a no brainer inclusion.

Dixie Kong: Dixie Kong is a character that has seemed obvious for a few games now, but I still believe in her inclusion. If the DK series is coming back, and if the rumors about a DK movie are true, then I feel it'd really warrant her inclusion. She also appears in the Mario Movie, which is already a huge step up!

Chosen Undead: Dark Souls is a very huge franchise for Bamco, and Elden Ring was one of the hugest games in the past few years. Elden Ring although not directly part of the Dark Souls series, was made to be an evolution to Dark Souls as a franchise, and it worked. If Bamco developed the next game, and with Elden Rings continued popularity, this would be a genuinely great move for a character for Nintendo to make.

Ryu Hayabusa (Or Warriors character): Koei Tecmo is a no brainer 3rd party to happen next, imo. They've been buddy buddy with Nintendo for a few years now. Ryu Hayabusa is their main icon, however, if they wanted to, a characters from the Warriors series would make as much of sense. Nintendo has made Koei make MULTIPLE Warriors games for them. Lu Bu would be my guess, but that opens a can of worms of arguing what is viable for Smash. But I'd love either Lu Bu or Hayabusa!

Mio: I think Noah and Mio have a good chance, but I think they may go with only Mio, she has lots of moveset potential with her rings.

Fire Emblem: By the time a new Smash comes out, Alear won't be the current protag.

Zelda: I think it's time for a new Zelda character, everyone does. Who that may be? Impa? Skull Kid? Unsure. But I can't see them skipping out on a new Zelda character again.

Weirdo character: Although I don't like following patterns, this is a constant one throughout the series. My contenders would be Excitebiker, Ayumi, or Andy from Advance Wars. Excitebiker would be to represent an extremely iconic NES franchise. Famicom Detective Club has recieved a remaster that was localized, which may finally give her more credence for Ayumi to be added. Advance Wars has made a...comeback? New remaster coming...sometime...but still gives him a reason to comeback and be added, just hard for me to imagine a PROPER moveset, but I would say the same for the other 2 here.

And...that's it, sorry for the wall of text.

Attachments

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, in regards to new first party characters, there are very few I feel confident on.

Bandana Waddle Dee, Waluigi, Ring Fit Adventurer and Officer Howard are the only ones I feel remotely confident on.

Maybe Isaac?

I feel more confident in predicting franchises I think will get more characters.

And no I don't mean Fire Emblem and Pokemon.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
BWD and Walugi seem like safe bets. I think we should get a new Splatoon rep of some kind as well as a Metroid rep and Mario rep. Not too confident in Zelda tbh definitely not star fox, maybe Pikmin and yeah Pokemon and FE are kinda gimmes.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Pokemon and FE are guaranteed, but I'd also consider Octolings a lock TBH. Splatoon's still a wildfire success for Nintendo, and there's been more Splatoon installments where the Octolings themselves are playable than there are installments where they're not. They only really missed Ultimate because of project plan reasons.

Xeno 3 or possibly 4 getting a character is something I'd say is near-guaranteed too.

Waluigi is in a death-or-glory situation here with becoming playable. If the huge discussion and buzz that surrounded his exclusion from Ultimate's lineup still can't get him a spot on the roster, then absolutely nothing will IMO. It seems like a decision that would mainly fall onto Nintendo's suits pushing for it more than Sakurai himself doing so.

King Boo seems like a feasible alternative if Waluigi is skipped over again, but it's a toss-up currently.

I'm a bit undecided on BWD--I could see Sakurai playing coy and adding a generic Waddle Dee fighter that has a bandanna alt or he just adds a playable Marx instead.

I doubt Metroid getting another new character, mainly just because most people were content with Ridley's inclusion, plus Dark Samus as a cherry on top there. Raven Beak would be cool but he's not an essential addition.

It's honestly difficult for me to judge the trajectory of Zelda, so I won't make any uninformed assumptions here.

I don't think Pikmin would get another character, but I could see Olimar going full Hero, where not only do you have Alph for some alts, but you also have Louie and one of Pikmin 4's protagonists as further alts.

In terms of new Nintendo universes, Astral Chain's Howard seems like a safe bet. If not everyone returns, I could see the Ring Fit Trainee supersede the Wii Fit Trainer. In terms of longer-running series, I'd say Rhythm Heaven's probably one of the last "long-running" Nintendo series yet to have a fighter.

In terms of base game third parties, I'll make the bold prediction and say that Bomberman is front in line with Zero from MMX shortly behind him.

Last edited:

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon and FE are guaranteed, but I'd also consider Octolings a lock TBH. Splatoon's still a wildfire success for Nintendo, and there's been more Splatoon installments where the Octolings themselves are playable than there are installments where they're not. They only really missed Ultimate because of project plan reasons.

Xeno 3 or possibly 4 getting a character is something I'd say is near-guaranteed too.

Waluigi is in a death-or-glory situation here with becoming playable. If the huge discussion and buzz that surrounded his exclusion from Ultimate's lineup still can't get him a spot on the roster, then absolutely nothing will IMO. It seems like a decision that would mainly fall onto Nintendo's suits pushing for it more than Sakurai himself doing so.

King Boo seems like a feasible alternative if Waluigi is skipped over again, but it's a toss-up currently.

I'm a bit undecided on BWD--I could see Sakurai playing coy and adding a generic Waddle Dee fighter that has a bandanna alt or he just adds a playable Marx instead.

I doubt Metroid getting another new character, mainly just because most people were content with Ridley's inclusion, plus Dark Samus as a cherry on top there. Raven Beak would be cool but he's not an essential addition.

It's honestly difficult for me to judge the trajectory of Zelda, so I won't make any uninformed assumptions here.

I don't think Pikmin would get another character, but I could see Olimar going full Hero, where not only do you have Alph for some alts, but you also have Louie and one of Pikmin 4's protagonists as further alts.

In terms of new Nintendo universes, Astral Chain's Howard seems like a safe bet. If not everyone returns, I could see the Ring Fit Trainee supersede the Wii Fit Trainer. In terms of longer-running series, I'd say Rhythm Heaven's probably one of the last "long-running" Nintendo series yet to have a fighter.

In terms of base game third parties, I'll make the bold prediction and say that Bomberman is front in line with Zero from MMX shortly behind him.
I agree with a lot of this, but I have some thoughts here.

Olimar skins wouldn't work because Pikmin characters have different width and heights. President and Charlie are thicker, while Louie and Brittany are taller. That would mean they need a hitbox change.

I think Metroid getting a new character is way more likely than people think. Dread was huge for the series, it basically revived 2D Metroid from its success. While that would probably mean to a lot of people Raven Beak, I will still hold my ground with Sylux, as he is a more reoccuring character, or is about to become one by the time Smash is in development. Prime 4 will probably be just as huge as Dread, as its been long anticipated and blue balled.

That note about Sakurai adding Waddle Dee is kind of weird. He'd straight up just be looking salty and that completely ignores BWD's character. BWD isn't a regular Waddle Dee and people don't seem to understand that. He has a moveset of his own that is used in many Kirby games, and is Dedede's most loyal and strong warrior, meaning no other Waddle Dees can do what Bandana Waddle Dee can do. I don't think Sakurai is that whiny about modern Kirby. We are also getting RTDL Deluxe very soon, which is the first game where BWD became a staple playable character of the franchise.

I don't see Ring Fit Trainer. She was successful, but I don't see it. Wii Fit Trainer already covers the whole exercise ground and at least has multiple titles. I can see it if Ring Fit continues as a franchise. I can understand why people predict her though, but I think she needs more time.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't see Ring Fit Trainer. She was successful, but I don't see it. Wii Fit Trainer already covers the whole exercise ground and at least has multiple titles. I can see it if Ring Fit continues as a franchise.
There's no reason why there shouldn't be two fitness game characters in one game. Ring Fit Adventure doubles as an RPG that gives it a lot of unique potential that Wii Fit simply doesn't have.I'd say it's not in a worse situation than other series that only had one game when they got into Smash.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
There's no reason why there shouldn't be two fitness game characters in one game. Ring Fit Adventure doubles as an RPG that gives it a lot of unique potential that Wii Fit simply doesn't have.I'd say it's not in a worse situation than other series that only had one game when they got into Smash.
This is more so a personal opinion of mine compared to the others. She can work, but again I think it depends on her future and if a new console would work with another Ring Fit. But I still think at least part of her uniqueness as a fighter is taken away by Wii Fit Trainer, who is arguably still more popular. I am less thinking about the now with my predictions, and thinking about how it'll be in the future, and how it may effect her chances.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Im Currently working on a new Smash Reboot concept for my Youtube Channel (Soon Known as Videospiel-Man)
So yeah keep in mind its neither a wish list nor full on prediction instead its called Smash bros Dawn and every Regular Fighter (Dawn Bro) has an alternate (Twilight Bro) i even made english translations (You have to read them tho) Stay Tuned!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Newcomers I would like to see:
  • Waluigi
  • Raven Beak
  • BWD
  • Meowth
  • Noah & Mio
  • Dr. Eggman
I’m a bit jealous lol. I think a lot of your most wanted characters have a really good chance of making it in with the possible exception of Meowth. I’d be happy to see all of these as well but I don’t have a ton of faith in getting many of my favorite characters, if any at this point. I’m still just happy I got Sephiroth, K. Rool and other Ultimate newcomers so I won’t be too let down if I don’t see any more on my personal wish list.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
In terms of new first parties, the only ones I am super confident in are our obligatory New Pokémon, Noah and Mio, Bandana Dee, and Officer Howard. Could we get a Waluigi? Sure, but we could easily get like four other reasonably likely Mario picks (Pauline in particular I think I’d a sleeper pick). This isn’t saying that the roster will have minimal first parties: it’s just most don’t have an easy route to there. There isn’t a consensus Zelda pick yet, even if some like Impa and Skull Kid come close. Franchises like Mother, Star Fox, or F Zero have seen better days. If we got for example Waluigi that is cool, but it’s not out of the question with the Mario picks they have on the docket we could get two Mario newcomers and neither are Waluigi. Getting any combination of Pauline, King Boo, and Captain Toad is not out of the question instead of Waluigi, even if we get two Mario newcomers. Waluigi is just an easy example since he is a relatively popular pick, keep in mind I think he’s still pretty likely. The point is broadly few characters have a clear path and a strong case to get in right now. Dee does, he’s head and shoulders above other Kirby reps and is super popular and relevant for example.

Then you have third parties which is harder to gauge in my opinion. The only third party companies I was super confident getting into Ultimate were Castlevania, Dragon Quest, Tekken, Minecraft, and Crash Bandicoot. I did ok there but obviously it’s hard to predict. If you want a shortlist of picks I would say are pretty likely: Crash,Genshin, Fortnite, League of Legends, Hayabusa, Chosen Undead, Dovakhin, Dante, Lloyd, Undertale, Phantasy Star, Ys, Resident Evil, and more I think have a solid shot. Picks like Eggman and Alucard too. I also think a few sleeper picks like Crono have a decent shot. But keep in mind very few of the ones I mentioned above are even close to that easy pick that a Smash Ultimate Dragon Quest or Smash 4 Pac Man were.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I actually think Octoling is the most likely of any character to get in Smash at this point. Splatoon was a huge success and has had three games now. It also helps that the Octoling could be an easy variant of Inkling’s moveset, whether that be an echo or semiclone. I’d be legitimately shocked if we didn’t see them in the next game.

Xenoblade is one of my favorite franchises and I also loved Astral Chain but I’m not as confident in seeing them as Octoling. Astral Chain was relatively niche and Howard has a really complex playstyle for Smash so I can definitely see a scenario where we don’t get a rep. They could also decide that Xenoblade isn’t big enough for three characters (four if you include Mythra).

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Since Waluigi is Wario's companion in Sports, Kart and Party games of Mario, he should also appear in Wario games, namely the Warioland and Warioware series. But he could also star in a series of his own, have a series of Waluigi games so that he can get some moves in the Super Smash Bros series that are based off of there.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think the next Smash game is just a bit too far out to make solid, widespread predictions. I think we're looking at a 2026/7 release, which might as well be a lifetime from now - lots of things can and will change by then. Saying "these seven characters will definitely be in the next game" or whatever is incredibly bold. For what it's worth, there are two characters I think are incredibly likely (A Toby Fox character and Bandana Dee), but this isn't the first Smash I thought they were locks for.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
My main wants for the next game would be:

• Rayman (likely)
  • Shovel Knight (decent)
  • Waluigi (likey)
  • ToeJam and Earl (the planets would have to allign)
  • Dixie Kong (kinda likely)
  • master Chief (kinda likely)
  • bandana Dee (likely)
  • Sir Daniel Fortesque (there isn't a single timeline this happens)

I think that's it for ones that would get me to pop off. There's ones I'd want for my friend's sakes but just focused on personal wants this time. Pretty western I know and obviously wouldn't get them all, but there's hardly any Japanese characters left that interest me tbh

Stratos

Smash Ace
Meowth gained fame from the Pokémon anime, I'd say they should have at least put it as a newcomer in futuer Super Smash Bros. games, so it would be like seeing Ash's Pikachu fighting Team Rocket's Meowth.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Meowth gained fame from the Pokémon anime, I'd say they should have at least put it as a newcomer in futuer Super Smash Bros. games, so it would be like seeing Ash's Pikachu fighting Team Rocket's Meowth.
How many times do I have to say it that Meowth should’ve been one of the OG 12 instead of Jigglypuff body shapes be damned

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My main wants for the next game would be:

• Rayman (likely)
  • Shovel Knight (decent)
  • Waluigi (likey)
  • ToeJam and Earl (the planets would have to allign)
  • Dixie Kong (kinda likely)
  • master Chief (kinda likely)
  • bandana Dee (likely)
  • Sir Daniel Fortesque (there isn't a single timeline this happens)

I think that's it for ones that would get me to pop off. There's ones I'd want for my friend's sakes but just focused on personal wants this time. Pretty western I know and obviously wouldn't get them all, but there's hardly any Japanese characters left that interest me tbh
How many other people here have a dream character that they think has absolutley no chance of making it in? I have quite a few but my number one is Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy. His design is just so cool and he’s voiced by one of my favorite voice actors ever (Steve Blum). I love Rogue Galaxy and it actually translates really well mechanically to a Smash character but the IP is owned by Sony and made by Level 5 so the chances are about as close to zero for Smash as possible. It doesn’t help that Zegram isn’t even the main character.

1673454926623.jpeg

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
How many other people here have a dream character that they think has absolutley no chance of making it in? I have quite a few but my number one is Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy. His design is just so cool and he’s voiced by one of my favorite voice actors ever (Steve Blum). I love Rogue Galaxy and it actually translates really well mechanically to a Smash character but the IP is owned by Sony and made by Level 5 so the chances are about as close to zero for Smash as possible. It doesn’t help that Zegram isn’t even the main character.

View attachment 366330
Am I allowed to add 4th parties?

I'd shid my pants if we got Wallace and Gromit or Billy Butcher from The Boys (show version)

Stratos

Smash Ace
Professor Hershel Layton from the Professor Layton series I'd say he can come as a newcomer too, after all his games have been released on Nintendo consoles and he's skilled with a sword.

Top Bottom