• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Sakura Wars expert here. The original release of Sakura Wars, So Long, My Love, the first game in the series to jump to the West, released in 2010 in the States, five years after initial release. The series has been technically available in the West for 12 years, though there was a lull in the series from that time until the new game's release in 2019 (2020 in the United States).
On a technicality half the series has been localized officially outside of Japan.

There are 6 mainline titles, with us getting 5 and 6 officially released while the first games anime adaptation was dubbed into english, i own the blu-ray of it.
Also the movie that bridges the gap between Sakura wars 4 and 5 was also dubbed into english.

Also it's crossover appearances have been brought over, with Sakura, Erica and Gemini being playable in Project X Zone, it's sequel and Super Robot wars 30.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
On a technicality half the series has been localized officially outside of Japan.

There are 6 mainline titles, with us getting 5 and 6 officially released while the first games anime adaptation was dubbed into english, i own the blu-ray of it.
Also the movie that bridges the gap between Sakura wars 4 and 5 was also dubbed into english.

Also it's crossover appearances have been brought over, with Sakura, Erica and Gemini being playable in Project X Zone, it's sequel and Super Robot wars 30.
Right, I elected not to mention that because the anime series aren't games and the other 2 are just crossover appearances so they weren't super relevant to the conversation but yeah, it's always been weird to me that they brought the anime over and they dubbed it, with both series no less

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
if Monolith made a Sonic-themed Strategy JRPG (and it's only Sonic), there is a eeny-weeny 0.5% chance of the game's name being subtitled "Project X Zone III" even if it doesn't feature any crossover (just like how Rainbow Islands was labelled as "The Story of Bubble Bobble 2", despite years later Taito made another BB sequel)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
if Monolith made a Sonic-themed Strategy JRPG (and it's only Sonic), there is a eeny-weeny 0.5% chance of the game's name being subtitled "Project X Zone III" even if it doesn't feature any crossover (just like how Rainbow Islands was labelled as "The Story of Bubble Bobble 2", despite years later Taito made another BB sequel)
Why are you so obsessed with Sonic in Project X Zone?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Right, I elected not to mention that because the anime series aren't games and the other 2 are just crossover appearances so they weren't super relevant to the conversation but yeah, it's always been weird to me that they brought the anime over and they dubbed it, with both series no less
I thought it'd be worth mentioning the anime because the anime projects in Sakura wars are part of the game canon, which is something Smash is fine bringing up as shown by Final fantasy 7 including Advent children content, an anime movie that's part of game canon.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Sakura Wars expert here. The original release of Sakura Wars, So Long, My Love, the first game in the series to jump to the West, released in 2010 in the States, five years after initial release. The series has been technically available in the West for 12 years, though there was a lull in the series from that time until the new game's release in 2019 (2020 in the United States).
So that's two games released outside of Japan.

Also, I forgot about Project X Zone, which also helps the series exposure in some ways.

So with that kind of exposure, it's safe to say that even though it's not a huge thing outside of Japan, it's not an unknown outside of it either.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Reiji Arisu and his ally Xiaomu debuted as they are known in Namco × Capcom and continued to appear until Project X Zone 2. The Super Smash Bros. series (with the exception of the first two games) has featured characters from Bandai Namco, Capcom, Sega, Konami, PlatinumGames, Square Enix, Microsoft, and SNK. But I have in mind the first three companies I mentioned because the Project X Zone series featured characters from those three companies. So I would say that Reiji Arisu and Xiaomu deserve to be in future Super Smash Bros games.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Reiji Arisu and his ally Xiaomu debuted as they are known in Namco × Capcom and continued to appear until Project X Zone 2. The Super Smash Bros. series (with the exception of the first two games) has featured characters from Bandai Namco, Capcom, Sega, Konami, PlatinumGames, Square Enix, Microsoft, and SNK. But I have in mind the first three companies I mentioned because the Project X Zone series featured characters from those three companies. So I would say that Reiji Arisu and Xiaomu deserve to be in future Super Smash Bros games.
Dont forget the Project X Zone series also featured Nintendo Characters.

If Bamco ever gets around to making a new game i could maybe see Reiji getting in, or maybe Reiji getting in would spark some interest in a new game.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If I can just add my two cents on the whole Mortal Kombat debate I honestly think it's really a matter of there other Western-based franchises they'd want to go with that are popular in Japan.

Admittedly there are not a lot of Western videogames that are popular in Japan, of these the only ones I could see from this are Assassin's Creed, The Witcher (Depending on what the team thinks it would classify for that), Fortnite, and Crash Bandicoot.

GTA is also surprisingly really popular in Japan and one I want to mention but I don't think they would go for it, but yeah I could see the other four I mentioned previously.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure it also matters how well-known the Western games are in Japan and Mortal Kombat is certainly well-known over there. Exactly how popular it is, I don't know but it's got some fans, that's for sure.

Me seeing people still argue bout Scorpion stemming from my silly little picture the other day
View attachment 366191
It had actually cooled down for a while. The other guy wasn't done, I guess. lol

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
If I can just add my two cents on the whole Mortal Kombat debate I honestly think it's really a matter of there being bigger Western-based franchises they'd want to go with that are popular in Japan.

Admittedly there are not a lot of Western videogames that are popular in Japan, of these the only ones I could see from this are Assassin's Creed, The Witcher (Depending on what the team thinks it would classify for that), Fortnite, and Crash Bandicoot.

GTA is also surprisingly really popular in Japan and one I want to mention but I don't think they would go for it, but yeah I could see the other four I mentioned previously.
I could see crash and fortnite

I still see Rayman getting in over Assasins Creed for the big fan demand alone (unless Assasins Creed suddenly has a push by Japanese fans) since that's usually a big factor in new companies plus it's the character Ubisoft has pushed for, despite many here begging to differ.

Maybe an elders scrolls rep? That's popular in Japan right?

Troykv

Smash Master
If I can just add my two cents on the whole Mortal Kombat debate I honestly think it's really a matter of there being bigger Western-based franchises they'd want to go with that are popular in Japan.

I can see Crash, it's has the credentials to be seen as an icon world wide.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

I could see Red Dead getting in. There's less potential Ratings Issues for Red Dead in comparison to GTA and Cowboys are always cool.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I still see Rayman getting in over Assasins Creed for the big fan demand alone (unless Assasins Creed suddenly has a push by Japanese fans) since that's usually a big factor in new companies plus it's the character Ubisoft has pushed for, despite many here begging to differ.

I know Skyrim is popular, at least.
I can see Crash, it's has the credentials to be seen as an icon world wide.
I've been meaning to ask, how successful was the revival in Japan? I know the original trilogy was popular in Japan, but I keep hearing conflicting statements about the remakes...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Yes Elder Scrolls is very popular in Japan and Sakurai even said Dragonborn was a popular request so that as well.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Todd practically begged for a DLC Fighter and Bethesda is now owned by Microsoft. I see no reason Doomguy couldn’t get in given Doomguy has both the most history and best potential moveset and content you could add from Bethesda.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Todd practically begged for a DLC Fighter and Bethesda is now owned by Microsoft. I see no reason Doomguy couldn’t get in given Doomguy has both the most history and best potential moveset and content you could add from Bethesda.
First, obligoratory:

Second, unfortunately if it were that easy, some companies would be more open to the idea of acquisitions...

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
First, obligoratory:

Second, unfortunately if it were that easy, some companies would be more open to the idea of acquisitions...
Again, begging (and getting content) for Smash Stuff twice, and then being bought out by a company in Smash is a good sign that next time they may be on the table.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When did Todd Howard beg?

Quillion

Smash Hero
On Xenoblade and FE, I don't really see a problem with them choosing the protagonists; they're the most important and honestly not any less interesting on average relative to the other characters in those franchises. It is just the pattern of always choosing the most recent with no evidence of giving a serious chance to anyone else that I don't want to keep up.
To be fair there's been Chrom, who was added quite some time after he hit the scene.

Sure, he's an echo, but echoes almost always seem to be selected with the same amount of care as full characters.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
It just shows that a series doesn't have to be as popular in Japan as you think it has to be represented in Smash. Sakurai has twice pointed out how significant Doom is to the FPS genre, and now there's a Doom Slayer Mii costume in Ultimate. That should be enough to show you that it's popularity compared to other western series in Japan is not relevant to Doom Slayer's chances in Smash.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Honestly as much as i shill for my own Character Videospiel-Man making it in as a Character if the miis keep the Same Attacks in the Next Game I would also be so Down for a Mii SwordFighter Costume!
The Question as always is would he count as a videogame Character? I mean he was made for a Videogame and only my Bad Skills resulted in him becomming a Book Char instead so i think he would at the very least qualify as a costume Is The A Programm online were you can upload Mii QR Codes than you can have Various VSM Miis with suggested Movesets and Costumes and Stages! (I Literally already did that!)

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Hey you dont know if he becomes popular also let me have my Pipedreams!
Also VSM Has a really good design!
The Only thing he is severly lacking is an official Release which only takes so long cause i want to deliver Quality!
That And Popularity for well obvious reasons!
If everything else fails i put him into Rivals of aether as a mod!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It just shows that a series doesn't have to be as popular in Japan as you think it has to be represented in Smash. Sakurai has twice pointed out how significant Doom is to the FPS genre, and now there's a Doom Slayer Mii costume in Ultimate. That should be enough to show you that it's popularity compared to other western series in Japan is not relevant to Doom Slayer's chances in Smash.
I wasn’t originally going to respond to this but idk why you’re continuing trying to explain this to me when I’m very clearly ambivalent if my initial response wasn’t evident enough.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I wasn’t originally going to respond to this but idk why you’re continuing trying to explain this to me when I’m very clearly ambivalent if my initial response wasn’t evident enough.
It was just strange to see that even though it's already represented in Smash, you still felt the need to bring up its popularity in Japan. I just think you're looking too much into that. I was just adding that to it.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to say that I've always felt that Dovahkiin was a more "honest" or "true" Bethesda rep in the traditional sense. It's like Crash getting into the game will technically count as an additional Microsoft rep should that deal go through which it likely will but in my heart Crash will always be a Naughty Dog rep.

I'd really love it if the double reveal was utilized more in the future of announcements whether it's base game of DLC because it plays into the crossover aspect of Smash more than a single reveal does. My 2 sets of candidates for a hype double reveal would Crash/Spyro and Doomer/Master Chief and there are plenty more than just those options. Scorpion and Sub-Zero would be another great choice.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If we do end up getting either Scorpion and/or Sub-Zero in Smash at some point, I’m really hoping for two things. First, I’d love them to go with the classic UMK3 outfits for both characters.

1673289100830.png
1673289361667.gif

These have always been my favorite designs for the characters and would represent the classic games when they were more closely associated with Nintendo. It would also make more sense to have Sub-Zero as a clone here since back then, only their specials were different. Finally, these designs would allow for alts for the other ninjas (Noob, Rain, and Reptile for Sub-Zero and Smoke, Ermac, and Tremor for Scorpion). Visually, the ninjas were all just palate swaps back then so I think this would be a fun idea.

Second, they absolutely have to come with Techno Syndrome:

We got Advent Children music in Ultimate so it at least seems possible now.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If we do end up getting either Scorpion and/or Sub-Zero in Smash at some point, I’m really hoping for two things. First, I’d love them to go with the classic UMK3 outfits for both characters.

View attachment 366244View attachment 366245

Second, they absolutely have to come with Techno Syndrome:

We got Advent Children music in Ultimate so it at least seems possible now.
We need as many versions as possible. The original Album remix, the original Movie/Album version, and Annihilation, plus the new ones for each movie. They're the best that ever was, after all.

Too bad Shao Kahn's voice didn't match the movie as well as the music. XD

...It doesn't help that most of the best MK music is the image songs, whether they're movie-related or game-related. Scorpion's "Lost Soul Bent On Revenge", Raiden's "Eternal Life", etc. The most ironic one is "Chinese Ninja Warrior", if only cause Sub-Zero is Lin Kuei. Scorpion's a Ninja. It's iconic as hell, but contradictory. Though to be fair, I think it was only Sub-Zero 2 that actually said this, and the first Sub-Zero may not care. That, and you know, they clearly didn't do research on what a Ninja is at the time and just made a very fun song that is historically inaccurate and even inaccurate in-universe. Which ultimately shouldn't matter because... it's just a song.

Most of these are done be The Immortals, so that shouldn't be an issue anyway. I think it doesn't help that the normal stage music just is... kind of eh? It's good for what it does, but rarely memorable compared to the stage itself. On the other hand, once in a while they can stick out, but it's hard to remember anything but the awesome image songs.

I'd also like them to come in as two characters at once, being semi-clone style, with Scorpion naturally being the "first" of the two if only cause he's the official mascot(and sometimes one of the core heroes. It varies). Spirits should be as many as possible. Everyone from the first game, as well as Shao Kahn, for starters. Both Sub-Zeros need to be a Spirit, though I could see only one version being playable, but a composite is fine too. With half and half each. Could even give the one from the Reboot timeline the Cyber Form if you want. Though if you do that, Smoke/Sektor/Cyrax could make for cool costume references. It's kind of awkward. Especially since Smoke is also a gameplay clone of Scorpion(but many are at some point, so costume references to them work too).

It's weird. XD

Gengar84

Smash Hero
We need as many versions as possible. The original Album remix, the original Movie/Album version, and Annihilation, plus the new ones for each movie. They're the best that ever was, after all.

Too bad Shao Kahn's voice didn't match the movie as well as the music. XD

...It doesn't help that most of the best MK music is the image songs, whether they're movie-related or game-related. Scorpion's "Lost Soul Bent On Revenge", Raiden's "Eternal Life", etc. The most ironic one is "Chinese Ninja Warrior", if only cause Sub-Zero is Lin Kuei. Scorpion's a Ninja. It's iconic as hell, but contradictory. Though to be fair, I think it was only Sub-Zero 2 that actually said this, and the first Sub-Zero may not care. That, and you know, they clearly didn't do research on what a Ninja is at the time and just made a very fun song that is historically inaccurate and even inaccurate in-universe. Which ultimately shouldn't matter because... it's just a song.

Most of these are done be The Immortals, so that shouldn't be an issue anyway. I think it doesn't help that the normal stage music just is... kind of eh? It's good for what it does, but rarely memorable compared to the stage itself. On the other hand, once in a while they can stick out, but it's hard to remember anything but the awesome image songs.

I'd also like them to come in as two characters at once, being semi-clone style, with Scorpion naturally being the "first" of the two if only cause he's the official mascot(and sometimes one of the core heroes. It varies). Spirits should be as many as possible. Everyone from the first game, as well as Shao Kahn, for starters. Both Sub-Zeros need to be a Spirit, though I could see only one version being playable, but a composite is fine too. With half and half each. Could even give the one from the Reboot timeline the Cyber Form if you want. Though if you do that, Smoke/Sektor/Cyrax could make for cool costume references. It's kind of awkward. Especially since Smoke is also a gameplay clone of Scorpion(but many are at some point, so costume references to them work too).

It's weird. XD
I totally agree. Normally, I’m not huge on Smash having tons of remixes on a single song but I’ll take as many versions of Techno Syndrome as we can get. I also really loved the song from the first Goro fight in the original movie. Other than the issues with MK’s status in Japan, I feel like the in game music is the biggest weakness for MK, especially when compared to other fighting games with amazing music like Killer Instinct and Guilty Gear. If they can work out an arrangement to get the image songs, MK would be up there with those two.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Last edited:
Top Bottom