• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I just don’t see the Switch 2 being announced this year. It’d hurt Switch 1 holiday sales for no real benefits. I guess it might get shareholders excited, but idk if that‘d make more money than the Switch 1 sales they’d lose.

Stratos

Smash Lord
If with the new Nintendo console they mention Luigi's Mansion 4, then I guess the case there will have something to do with museums, but even if this case doesn't have it, I think for originality many ghosts that Luigi will hunt in Luigi's Mansion 4 will are the following ghosts:

Clown
Fakir
Postman
Ancient Native American warrior
Samurai
Ninja
Sumo wrestler
Cheerleader
Footballer
Basketball player
Tennis player
Volleyball player
Golfer
Baseball player
Bowling player
Hockey player
Big scorpion
Rock and roll singer
Rally driver
Cowboy
Skier or snowboarder
Karate teacher
Super hero or super villain
Barber
Librarian
School teacher
Scout
Bear
Tamer
Merchant
Ancient African warrior
Doctor or mad scientist
Colonel or infantryman
Captain or sailor
Commander or pilot
Big rat
Big cockroach
Hippies
Motorcyclist or cyclist
Farmer
Beggar
Convict in black and white striped prison clothes
Big snake
Big wasp
Hunter in the jungle
Cartoonist
Sculptor
Executioner
Big vulture
Great eagle
Blacksmith
Bull
Matador
Glazier
Balloon
Builder
Chimney sweep
Angler (fisherman)
Diver
Woodcutter
Gangster or mobster
Bank robber
Ancient Viking or berserker
Ancient Greek hoplite
Ancient Roman gladiator
Shepherd
Gambler
Big crab
Big worm
Watchmaker
Astronaut
Judge
Taxidermist
Undertaker

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
If with the new Nintendo console they mention Luigi's Mansion 4, then I guess the case there will have something to do with museums, but even if this case doesn't have it, I think for originality many ghosts that Luigi will hunt in Luigi's Mansion 4 will are the following ghosts:

Clown
Fakir
Postman
Ancient Native American warrior
Samurai
Ninja
Sumo wrestler
Cheerleader
Footballer
Basketball player
Tennis player
Volleyball player
Golfer
Baseball player
Bowling player
Hockey player
Big scorpion
Rock and roll singer
Rally driver
Cowboy
Skier or snowboarder
Karate teacher
Super hero or super villain
Barber
Librarian
School teacher
Scout
Bear
Tamer
Merchant
Ancient African warrior
Doctor or mad scientist
Colonel or infantryman
Captain or sailor
Commander or pilot
Big rat
Big cockroach
Hippies
Motorcyclist or cyclist
Farmer
Beggar
Convict in black and white striped prison clothes
Big snake
Big wasp
Hunter in the jungle
Cartoonist
Sculptor
Executioner
Big vulture
Great eagle
Blacksmith
Taurus
Matador
Glazier
Balloon
Builder
Chimney sweep
Angler
Diver
Woodcutter
Mafioso
Bank robber
Ancient Viking
Ancient Greek hoplite
Ancient Roman gladiator
Shepherd
Gambler
Big crab
Big worm
Watchmaker
Astronaut
Judge
Taxidermist
Undertaker
Was a robot-themed Ghost already in any of the three LM games?

or an Alien ghost? Just becuas ei like these ideas for a future Luigi's Mansion.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Lord
Was a robot-themed Ghost already in any of the three LM games?

or an Alien ghost? Just becuas ei like these ideas for a future Luigi's Mansion.
As far as I remember no, but these ideas are just as good. They also made me think of a cyborg ghost (or ghost of cyborg), although I don't know if that's a good idea.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Honestly, the art direction for the next game could go eitherway.

On one hand, you could go back to a more realistic artstyle, similar to Melee and Brawl. Hopefully the colors won't be as muddy or desaturated. I kinda doubt they would do this, and even if they did, I'm sure not everyone would like it.

On the other hand, you could try a cel-shaded artstyle, similar to Jet Set Radio or Guilty Gear. As cool as that would be, it'd probably take up most of the resources, especially if they'd have to recreate the movesets and/or make new movesets in that artstyle, so I'm not sure they'd go for it.

Eitherway, it probably wouldn't sit well for certain characters.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I just don’t see the Switch 2 being announced this year. It’d hurt Switch 1 holiday sales for no real benefits. I guess it might get shareholders excited, but idk if that‘d make more money than the Switch 1 sales they’d lose.
At a certain point in time, building hype for the Switch 2 to assure it has a good launch is more important to them than squeeze remaining sales from the Switch. If the Switch 2 doesn't launch until H2 2025, I'd agree, this early is unnecessary, but if it launches in the first half, then I think that point may come with this console's seventh year on the market, with a fairly light holiday season anyway.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It feels like it's slowly becoming a trend to have painted effects over models and more comic book-styled animation, ever since the success of Spider-Verse. The best example is probably Hi-Fi Rush; That would likely take a lot of work to get right, but it looks really damn good and I'd be all for that sort of cel-shaded animation. Heck, even Ultimate's particle effects are noticeably brighter and more colorful in comparison to previous games; Assuming the next game follows off of that, it seems to me like they want to lean a bit closer to the cel-shaded look

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Heck, even Ultimate's particle effects are noticeably brighter and more colorful in comparison to previous games
Which IMO clashes with how the art direction for the character models seems to be a compromise between Brawl's hyper-realism and 4's saturated cartooniness. I think the cartoony particles would only be worth keeping around if they try to make the fighters have less detailed textures.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
NGL, the realistic art style of Brawl was the thing I liked less of the game.
At the time it was a way to make all the many characters look as homogeneous as possible despite the huge differences in design, but in this modern era we are pretty used to see many artistic styles in the same context, so it's not more needed.
What we need is a simple but colorful style that makes the characters very clear even from afar. And less lazy alt colors for some characters.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
I kinda hate Ultimate's cartoony bright particles. Not that they look bad; in fact it's the opposite, they make stuff like Change Shot feel way more powerful than when it was a polygonal model.
But they're just way too dense, they really obfuscate the action a lot when there's too many of them, which, outside of no items 1vs1s, is usually very often. Sometimes I really can't tell what's going on and I find myself trying to move a different character thinking it's mine.

Maybe it's me getting old, or playing too often in portable mode, but anyways I'd like for the effect to get toned down a little.

Top Bottom