• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I think Meowscarada could have a fun moveset if they go all in on its magician theming, and I feel like it has a really good shot because Liko has Floragato in the anime right now, I just like Ogerpon more as a Grass type since I have no real attachment to Meowscarada as a Skeledirge user in my story team, plus our last Pokemon newcomer was also a Dark-type cat Pokemon.

I also just feel like Ogerpon represents the regional gimmick, Terastallization, better since she has a unique Tera form you could use for a Final Smash instead of Meowscarada just gaining a big flower on its head and firing a green beam of Terastal energy.
I also like ogerpon because it is an actual character. Like, if they add meowscarada, cool, that's a meowscarada. If they add ogerpon, that's the same ogerpon we see in the game, with the same personality, etc. (She also just has a really fun design and could be fun to play as I think).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure most, if not all of Nintendo's official tournaments have items on.

One of them even had Venom of all things as a legal stage.

EDIT: Imagine if they added Florigato.

Everyone: "What? They added the 2nd stage? Is that even allowed?"
Me: "Yooo they added the only good design from the Sprigatito line letzgooooooo!!!"

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think Meowscarada has a lot of potential as a magician archetype - something not so heavily represented in Smash - is genuinely the most popular starter of that bunch, has a striking design etc and that is all independent of them being a grass starter. If we locked in on a Pokemon newcomer today from Gen 9 I think it'd have a strong chance of being them on these fronts. Not guaranteed, but I think they feel similar to Incineroar on that level of evoking inspiration based on an abstract archetype, so lots of creative liberty around a cool flashy magician kit.

It's just that the timing is weird. I think we'll miss Meowscarada just because of that. Ogerpon I'm unconfident in for tangential reasons, I hesitate to back a "DLC" Pokemon since it gives me flashbacks of Urshifu which was a complete nothingburger. But I'd be content with either of these choices if Gen 10 is simply too far into the horizon or if they wanted to double down on Pokemon next game and cover all the ground they missed. I think the prospect of getting something from Gen 8-9 and Gen 10 is underdiscussed but just as well the Switch era could go the way of the GBA era despite how successful these games were.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think the prospect of getting something from Gen 8-9 and Gen 10 is underdiscussed but just as well the Switch era could go the way of the GBA era despite how successful these games were.
How would we feel if this is how things played out, by the way? If we got two brand new Pokemon, that means by proxy we'd end up losing more old blood than most of us would like. But it would keep the lineup fresh where otherwise it may be feeling a little stale for some? How do we feel about the state of Pokemon in Smash in general?

For me it's a series I'm mostly willing to be flexible with, my favorite Pokemon in Smash is likely to be cut (Incineroar) and the other is perpetually sorta on the bubble (Mewtwo). I'd also like Jigglypuff and Greninja to stick around but am otherwise sort of indifferent. So I'd be open to a more drastic shift toward the new but I worry the Pokemon that I like are probably the ones that would be shuffled around to make room for them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It was a trick question: The answer is "no" and Ivysaur is breaking the law. The authorities are persuing him and his accomplice known as "Pokémon Trainer" as we speak.
Oh no

better not ask this question I'm about to ask but oh well
Imagine if the new Pokémon was Cinderace. Like, we were so confident that we actually willed it into existance, just way later than we would have expected.

That would be really funny.
In the event they think Smash fans' confidence in Cinderace is enough to warrant looking at the line despite no longer being the latest gen, I would hope Sakurai can consider looking at, well, the whole line and not just Cinderace.

While Scorbunny doesn't have access to Cinderace's signature moves, you don't necessarily need the final evolution to have the playstyle it'd inevitably have, unlike how Charmander lacks wings, Froakie isn't a ninja, and Litten isn't a wrestler. The whole line is into kicking rocks and being nimble.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
It's just that the timing is weird. I think we'll miss Meowscarada just because of that. Ogerpon I'm unconfident in for tangential reasons, I hesitate to back a "DLC" Pokemon since it gives me flashbacks of Urshifu which was a complete nothingburger.
This is fair, I just like Ogerpon a heck of a lot more than Urshifu because Ogerpon actually has a story to tell within the DLC since it's the focal point of the Teal Mask story lmao

Plus alongside all the different attack animations she has in-game, the different masks lending themselves well to alternate colors and fun aesthetic changes to Final Smash, and the fact that it's small and cute but could almost certainly beat people over the head with a mace like it did the Loyal Trio in its mythology/backstory, it appeals very much to me lol
How would we feel if this is how things played out, by the way? If we got two brand new Pokemon, that means by proxy we'd end up losing more old blood than most of us would like. But it would keep the lineup fresh where otherwise it may be feeling a little stale for some? How do we feel about the state of Pokemon in Smash in general?

For me it's a series I'm mostly willing to be flexible with, my favorite Pokemon in Smash is likely to be cut (Incineroar) and the other is perpetually sorta on the bubble (Mewtwo). I'd also like Jigglypuff and Greninja to stick around but am otherwise sort of indifferent. So I'd be open to a more drastic shift toward the new but I worry the Pokemon that I like are probably the ones that would be shuffled around to make room for them.
Speaking generally on my opinions on Pokemon right now, Pikachu and Jigglypuff are definitely sticking around, and I wouldn't be shocked if Pokemon Trainer did either with a lack of programming issues and Charizard being part of the trio, but I'm pretty flexible on the rest. I think Pichu will leave, I'd like Lucario to leave and work on self-improvement, I think Greninja will stay, and while I love Incineroar, I could see him going either way.

The main weird case to me is Mewtwo because he's obviously popular and would definitely come back eventually, but precedent has shown that he has a sort of habit of getting squared out near the end, so it's harder to tell than I think it should be with Mewtwo.

With that said, though I'd be fine with it if we did get a Gen 8 Pokemon, I don't really expect it since outside of Pokemon Trainer and technically Mewtwo, Pokemon never really adds playable characters from older Generations? And even then, those two are both Gen 1 Pokemon characters, which may be an exception anyway. It'd be equivalent to us having gotten a Gen 3 Pokemon in Brawl (and I know Pra_Mai exists but it actually being Plusle and Minun is debated supposedly (just had a weird deja vu moment reading that back to myself lol)) or a Gen 5 Pokemon in Smash 4, so I can't really see Gen 8 getting a character at this point.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

I mean

I’d like it if we got two new Pokémon :198:

Incineroar would be dearly missed though.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
You know what I think actually wouldn't be too bad of an idea if Gen 8 can't get a playable character?

Give Jigglypuff something related to it. Puff Up already makes Jigglypuff really big, why not tie it into Dynamax in some way? Let Jigglypuff get really big as usual but with the distinctive Dynamax clouds around it and then let it use Max Starfall so it has an actual attack and so it has something Fairy related. It was added to Gen 8 in the Isle of Armor rather than the base game and didn't get a Gigantamax like Pikachu, Meowth, or Eevee, but I'm just tired of Puff Up being the same old terrible Final Smash as always lmao

Noipoi

Howdy!
You know what I think actually wouldn't be too bad of an idea if Gen 8 can't get a playable character?

Give Jigglypuff something related to it. Puff Up already makes Jigglypuff really big, why not tie it into Dynamax in some way? Let Jigglypuff get really big as usual but with the distinctive Dynamax clouds around it and then let it use Max Starfall so it has an actual attack and so it has something Fairy related. It was added to Gen 8 in the Isle of Armor rather than the base game and didn't get a Gigantamax like Pikachu, Meowth, or Eevee, but I'm just tired of Puff Up being the same old terrible Final Smash as always lmao
Smash original Gigantamax Jigglypuff form

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It's just that the timing is weird. I think we'll miss Meowscarada just because of that. Ogerpon I'm unconfident in for tangential reasons, I hesitate to back a "DLC" Pokemon since it gives me flashbacks of Urshifu which was a complete nothingburger.
Ogerpon I'd give credit in that she's proven to be a very popular Pokemon, and her arc in the DLC is actually very prominent (central to the first and even related to the Epilogue) so many players have a reason to be attached to her. Urshifu by comparison, admittedly this is partially in retrospect, but it never really seemed to click as a notable Pokemon. Its role in the DLC is kind of forgettable and popularity-wise it's more middle of the road out of its generation from what I've seen. The only thing I really hear about it is from Competitive, and not usually good things.

That said, I do agree in that I think something from the base roster has more of an edge.

I'd say it depends on the choice. Most of Gen 9's frontrunners I like so I'd more than likely be happy with the choice. Gen 8 not as much as those frontrunners don't appeal to me as much, and one in particular I actually don't care for at all, so it'd be riskier for me if they picked from that bunch.

I would miss Incineroar though no matter who would get chosen in that scenario, he's a lot of fun in Smash and is easily my favorite of the bunch.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I'd be perfectly fine with this even if it meant potentially losing Greninja, who I would otherwise think is safe...as long as we get someone from Gen IX and not Gen VIII. Sword and Shield and Scarlet and Violet were basically complete opposites for me as far as how excited I'd be for their Pokémon to get into Smash. For Galar, the Pokémon I liked were definitely not the type to get into Smash, while the Smash ready ones weren't ones that I liked. It didn't help that I hadn't been that lukewarm toward a starter trio since Johto.

Gen IX, meanwhile, has a ton of Pokémon that I love that also seem like they'd make the shortlist for Smash.

Ivander

Smash Legend
You know, they wouldn't have this issue of Pokemon characters, or any characters, missing out if they just did 10 newcomers per series per game. Sure, everybody would probably miss seeing them in a sea of character boxes on the character selection screen, but hey, at least the characters wouldn't be missing out on an appearance. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Meowscarada is popular, and I can't deny it would have a fun moveset, but I can only see it as boring when looking at the past Pokémon picks.

Other than Pikachu, I'd most like Mewtwo, Lucario, and Greninja to return. And Pokémon Trainer is a cool idea that represents the series' gameplay, so I'd like them to either return or be replaced with a trainer with different Pokémon..

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
personally I don't think you can go wrong with any of the gen 9 pokemon. are there ones i'd prefer over others? yes of course. skeliderge over meowscarade, armorogue over cereledge etc. but i don't think there's one that'd be disappointing

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Skeledirge would be interesting as a quadruped fighter, something Smash has very few of, but even if Meowscarada doesn't get picked, I kinda just don't want another Fire-type starter to be picked. At least not without one more Pokemon newcomer as well for the sake of more variety.
I haven't been into Pokemon for a while but checking the wiki, Skeledirge is a big friendly gator that happens to burn at 5,400 degrees Farenheit and also has a bird friend
1730071443440.png

Y'know what I'll take it

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I'm sure this has probably been said many times…

But PLEASE let us have a Bowser's Castle stage for the next game. Especially with Bowser-centered music from throughout the Mario franchise.

Oh, AND Ganon's Castle, which hopefully includes Ganon(dorf)-centered music, especially a new remix of Ganon's Tower with an element of Enter Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Rumor has it that this is the week we will finally here about the Switch 2.

:diddy:
If it does happen, I wonder what the first game they'll show off will be?

Will it be Zelda like the Switch 1? Or will it be something new and unexpected? And will they confirm if the new system can play the old games on it?

Ivander

Smash Legend
If it does happen, I wonder what the first game they'll show off will be?
Maybe the first game they announce is Sakurai's new game?

They technically did that for the 3DS with Kid Icarus Uprising. I mean, they did show Mario and Nintendogs in the 3DS Reveal trailer, but not so much the games themselves compared to just the idea of characters coming to "3D" whereas Kid Icarus Uprising was outright announced.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Looks like there's a lot of smoke, but nothing conclusive. At most, there's an investor meeting November 5th, so Nintendo might want to show something off before then

My usual strategy for direct rumors is to write down any semi-credible claim I hear but not actually bet anything on them. If it really is that day, sweet; If not, look to the next date. 9 out of 10 rumors are full of crap, and there's a very good chance this claim's as bunk as the rest of them; Still, it's nice to have some sort of close goal to look towards.

Truth be told I kinda assumed Nintendo would want to hold out on showing off the Switch 2 until after their holiday seaso, since they're still putting out games even into the last year of the Switch. I know they revealed the Switch in October, but the Wii U was struggling, whereas the Switch is thriving. Still, the Switch 2 most likely has backward compatibility, so it would make sense if they wanted to sell their last batch of new games and then let you play them on the Switch 2.

Regardless, we'll just have to see if there's any announcements in the coming week.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In the event they think Smash fans' confidence in Cinderace is enough to warrant looking at the line despite no longer being the latest gen, I would hope Sakurai can consider looking at, well, the whole line and not just Cinderace.

While Scorbunny doesn't have access to Cinderace's signature moves, you don't necessarily need the final evolution to have the playstyle it'd inevitably have, unlike how Charmander lacks wings, Froakie isn't a ninja, and Litten isn't a wrestler. The whole line is into kicking rocks and being nimble.
Add Raboot because he da best.

better arrest pikachu and jigglypuff
They're from a place where their pre-evolved forms don't exist yet. They have diplomatic immunity.

Top Bottom