• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
That's what I figured anyways. They also had to sacrifice a lot to make Ultimate as big as it was, as the base game only had 11 new characters (six of which were clones) and only 4 new stages.
Exactly. Holding all the old characters prevents the next Smash from becoming really new and refreshing.
We don't know what new mechanics the next Smash will introduce, but they will surely influence the choice of who will stay and of who will depart.
Here’s a question I’ve had on my mind since last night: how would you guys feel if, in the next Smash game, any veterans who missed out on the base roster were added back in free updates, and the lineup of paid DLC fighters consisted entirely of newcomers?
That would feel weird but legit.
The opposite would feel like a scam, even if the veterans returned improved.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
The forum got really small in recent years and power users dont seem to like using much else so this thread ends overloaded with it, where a possibility that many predicted but didnt want (a clean slate or mass cut) suddenly becomes both wanted and the only option even tho most the internet will at least be unhappy with it (it helps most smash fans arent hypnotized by this weird feedback loop going on here), like repeating enough times what one think will magically cut all the characters they dont want and have the next game tailor made with every mode and newcomer they dreamed up 10 years ago.
Then you mix in that some people have a really hard time separating wanting from believing in things, as separate concepts and the people who got salty at brawl, 4, or Ultimate over some minutia and it really makes for poor discussion
For what it's worth, outside from this and similar places I feel like most people actually just want Ultimate 2 with more stuff.
I have to say, every opinion is worth respecting of course, but wanting to wipe the slate clean so the series can have new victory themes (!) instead of reusing the ones from Brawl again like you sometimes read here is a very peculiar order of priorities to say the least.

Personally my only hangup with Ultimate Deluxe is addressing the problem of "a good amount of potential fighters are stuck in Assist Trophy purgatory".
Maybe that's the kind of situation where doing a "Fortnite Chapter 2" scenario would be done instead of a straight "Deluxe" game. Rip out Ultimate's character and stage roster and paste it into a game with rebalanced gameplay, a reworked item, AT and Pokeball list, and a redone set of available modes. And obviously, rebalanced characters (probably a couple changed a bit entirely).
Two different flavors of Ultimate.
This is it, imo.
Smash is a multiplayer juggernaut in 2024, not an arcade fighting game series in the 90's.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here’s a question I’ve had on my mind since last night: how would you guys feel if, in the next Smash game, any veterans who missed out on the base roster were added back in free updates, and the lineup of paid DLC fighters consisted entirely of newcomers?
I think that’s the optimal realistic scenario. I don’t mind waiting for my favorites to return as long as I get them eventually. If they’re free, that’s all the better.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
I would like this. Not much else to say other than I'd prefer most DLC characters to be newcomers regardless.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Also, do keep in mind when Sakurai said this; this is well before there was a Pass 2 ever greenlit. It means that the only DLC was Plant, the 5 next characters, and 1-2 after. He even thought, before Pass 2, bringing everyone back is unfeasible. Now that we have 5 more characters than his maximum ideal at the time of the writing? That's even crazier.

(For some math, PP and the first Pass combined is 6 characters. He ideally had 1 or 2 more possible. Steve was likely one of them. The other is unclear. Due to how Pass 2 works, we got a total of 7 characters, as Pyra and Mythra are counted separately, instead of just named separately like Steve and Alex. Since his ideal DLC at the time was 7-8 characters. And then add 5 more for 13 total, and you can tell how crazy it gets).

It's obviously not impossible for Everyone is Here to return, but not exactly likely, and at least we have a good idea that he was already skeptical well before DLC was finished. That said, if he thought it was hard with only 8(max) DLC characters, imagine 13. People who don't think it'll happen again have good reason to believe that. Licensing, the herculean task of balancing, etc.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Also, do keep in mind when Sakurai said this; this is well before there was a Pass 2 ever greenlit. It means that the only DLC was Plant, the 5 next characters, and 1-2 after. He even thought, before Pass 2, bringing everyone back is unfeasible. Now that we have 5 more characters than his maximum ideal at the time of the writing? That's even crazier.

(For some math, PP and the first Pass combined is 6 characters. He ideally had 1 or 2 more possible. Steve was likely one of them. The other is unclear. Due to how Pass 2 works, we got a total of 7 characters, as Pyra and Mythra are counted separately, instead of just named separately like Steve and Alex. Since his ideal DLC at the time was 7-8 characters. And then add 5 more for 13 total, and you can tell how crazy it gets).

It's obviously not impossible for Everyone is Here to return, but not exactly likely, and at least we have a good idea that he was already skeptical well before DLC was finished. That said, if he thought it was hard with only 8(max) DLC characters, imagine 13. People who don't think it'll happen again have good reason to believe that. Licensing, the herculean task of balancing, etc.
I think I can agree with that. Even though it’s not likely, I’m still going to hold out hope that they’ll find a way to make EiH2 happen. I’m perfectly happy waiting to get some of the veterans back gradually over time if it’s too much to bring them back at launch. I don’t absolutely need every single veteran to return but I’d at least like to see my favorites come back. As long as there’s enough characters on the roster that appeal to me, I’ll be happy whether we get everyone back or not.

Another thing is that I don’t really want the base roster to be drastically smaller than Ultimate’s. I don’t mind a few cuts here and there if they bring in just as many new and exciting characters in return. It’s just going to be hard to get hyped about a Brawl sized roster again without some huge changes to the gameplay mechanics or a really awesome adventure mode, stage builder, character creator, or something comparable.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
There are rumors the switch 2 reveal is tomorrow

Considering the timing of this patch it’s very possible that it could be future proofing in the event there is a switch 2 version of Ultimate, especially in the event they’re overhauling the online system which this patch implies

We’ll just have to wait and see, but if nothing is announced today, we’ll be in the dark for quite a bit (it’s possible it could be announced next year)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
...honestly, wanting something like bringing back every cut veteran for free while still somehow having the resources for paid DLC doesn't really scream "I'm ready to move on from EIH". If anything it's the opposite since, you know, it means everyone will eventually be there again.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There are rumors the switch 2 reveal is tomorrow

Considering the timing of this patch it’s very possible that it could be future proofing in the event there is a switch 2 version of Ultimate, especially in the event they’re overhauling the online system which this patch implies

We’ll just have to wait and see, but if nothing is announced today, we’ll be in the dark for quite a bit (it’s possible it could be announced next year)
Who's saying it's tomorrow?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
...honestly, wanting something like bringing back every cut veteran for free while still somehow having the resources for paid DLC doesn't really scream "I'm ready to move on from EIH". If anything it's the opposite since, you know, it means everyone will eventually be there again.
Did Smash 4 charge less for returning veteran DLC than completely new characters? I vaguely remember that being the case. I think that would be fine too. I don’t really mind paying if it’s a reduced price. I’ll still buy all my favorites at full price but it would get really expensive if they cut too many characters and brought them back at full price.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people being hopeful that we’ll eventually see everyone come back. Sure, there’s no guarantee that will happen but I’d rather be optimistic. I think it’s a mistake to claim that everyone is coming back with absolute certainty, even through DLC. At the same time, people saying it definitely won’t happen are just speculating as well. It’s best to keep an open mind here and I’ll try to accept the outcome either way. If the end result doesn’t appeal to me, I’ll just stick to Ultimate. No sense making a big fuss about it. At the end of the day, Smash is just a game.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I didn’t necessarily mean every cut veteran when I see “veterans in free updates”.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Did Smash 4 charge less for returning veteran DLC than completely new characters? I vaguely remember that being the case. I think that would be fine too. I don’t really mind paying if it’s a reduced price. I’ll still buy all my favorites at full price but it would get really expensive if they cut too many characters and brought them back at full price.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people being hopeful that we’ll eventually see everyone come back. Sure, there’s no guarantee that will happen but I’d rather be optimistic. I think it’s a mistake to claim that everyone is coming back with absolute certainty, even through DLC. At the same time, people saying it definitely won’t happen are just speculating as well. It’s best to keep an open mind here and I’ll try to accept the outcome either way. If the end result doesn’t appeal to me, I’ll just stick to Ultimate. No sense making a big fuss about it. At the end of the day, Smash is just a game.
Veterans were a dollar cheaper than Corrin, the only stageless newcomer. They were cheaper, but not significantly cheaper, or anything resembling free like what was suggested.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Veterans were a dollar cheaper than Corrin, the only stageless newcomer. They were cheaper, but not significantly cheaper, or anything resembling free like what was suggested.
Yeah, I thought I remembered that being the case. Thanks for the clarification. We did get Mewtwo as a free update if I remember right so it’s not entirely unprecedented.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I thought I remembered that being the case. Thanks for the clarification. We did get Mewtwo as a free update if I remember right so it’s not entirely unprecedented.
I mean, free is only a technical thing. You had to buy an entire game or somebody else did to get it for both 3DS and Wii U version. Mewtwo essentially was paid for that way.

You had to pay for 'em later on too once that deal was stop being given. PP worked the same way. It's possible we could get a temporary free thing as long as you pay for something else in a special way, but we never had anything outright free. It was caveat, or regularly paid.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I could be wrong but I feel like it wouldn’t be overly difficult to at least bring every first party character back if the engine remains roughly similar to Ultimate’s. I think the biggest hurdle in bringing everyone back is licensing for third party characters. Obviously it does still require development time and resources either way but I imagine significantly less if the character is mostly completed already. It becomes harder if the next game changes up its gameplay but I’d still think they’re a lot easier than fully new characters. I don’t really have any inside knowledge or anything like that so maybe I’m off in my thinking here but it seems logical to me. If they can work out the licensing again, EiH2 seems possible, even if it’s not super likely.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So anyway when’s Alarmo gonna be in Smash

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
I will say that the chances of eih2 are slightly more than 0 as long as namco keeps working on the game. Did you see how many characters were in Sparking Zero? Obviously apples to oranges but it's clear bamco are no stranger to making assets good for use in multiple games. Maybe Ultimate's aren't good enough to reuse onto more powerful hardware, but maybe the next one can be built off in the same way as dragon ball games does with their assets...

Also, it'd be comedic if the switch 2 was announced this week because I'd be in the aftermath of hurricane Milton and thus in a rare state where I couldn't make time to watch it "live".

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Does this mean no announcement then?

Alarmo with the steel chair?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I will say that the chances of eih2 are slightly more than 0 as long as namco keeps working on the game. Did you see how many characters were in Sparking Zero? Obviously apples to oranges but it's clear bamco are no stranger to making assets good for use in multiple games. Maybe Ultimate's aren't good enough to reuse onto more powerful hardware, but maybe the next one can be built off in the same way as dragon ball games does with their assets...

Also, it'd be comedic if the switch 2 was announced this week because I'd be in the aftermath of hurricane Milton and thus in a rare state where I couldn't make time to watch it "live".
Hope you’re going to be okay with the hurricane. I hear it’s supposed to be a really bad one. My aunt and uncle live right next to where it’s supposed to hit and I’m really hoping for their safety. Smash would be the last thing on my mind if I lived in the area.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just played Ultimate for a bit and collected a few of the remaining Spirits. I might go back and collect a few more, but I'm pretty sure I've collected most of them, and I have all playable characters (including DLC). I think I'm also ready to move on from Ultimate.

We don't need more DLC for Ultimate, we don't need EiH2 and we don't need Ultimate 2/Deluxe. We need a new game.
The question has been asked but I'll state it again...

Why not both?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm going to approach this news carefully. Just in case since rumors has tend to bring false hope at times.
Yeah, I acknowledge that it might end up not happening today, it’s really just a rumor so it’s best to ease on the side of caution, thought it was worth bringing up though.

I talked with a friend, both of us think it’s more likely to be revealed later this year so it does not eat into holiday sales, that’s just my personal conjecture though.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In all honesty, an alarm clock that stops on its own if it sees you got up is a good idea, I'd just rather have a more generic alarm than IT'S TIME TO JUMP UP IN THE AIR or Inklings dying.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Well, whether EiH2 happens or not, I don't really care…

But I at least hope they fix the sticky platforms and input lag for the next game. Oh, and maybe make taunts slightly longer.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I'm definitely ready to move on from EiH. One thing to keep in mind is, even if the next roster is drastically different from Ultimate's.....Ultimate will still be there. And it could remain popular to play, especially if it's playable on the Switch 2.

And while it's not necessarily likely, I'd prefer giving some of the veterans moveset renovations over bringing all of them back with minimal changes.

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Hope you’re going to be okay with the hurricane. I hear it’s supposed to be a really bad one. My aunt and uncle live right next to where it’s supposed to hit and I’m really hoping for their safety. Smash would be the last thing on my mind if I lived in the area.
I gotta think about what I cherish to get me through the tough times.

Which means I really gotta stop discussing Smash.
:4pacman:

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
Well, whether EiH2 happens or not, I don't really care…

But I at least hope they fix the sticky platforms and input lag for the next game. Oh, and maybe make taunts slightly longer.
Agreed, especially that second part.

The ability to cancel taunts in Ult is a double edged sword since, while it does feel good to do, it kind of removes the risk of styling on your opponent by making yourself completely vulnerable. Plus, many of the longer taunts got shortened.

Smash should have more holdable taunts, too.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Agreed, especially that second part.

The ability to cancel taunts in Ult is a double edged sword since, while it does feel good to do, it kind of removes the risk of styling on your opponent by making yourself completely vulnerable. Plus, many of the longer taunts got shortened.

Smash should have more holdable taunts, too.
Ultimate allow players to get right back into fighting. Final Smash being straight to the point (meaning shorter and no longer controllable) and taunts able to be cancelled.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I'm no longer convinced that the switch 2 is real. It is just a collective hallucination and Nintendo is just going to keep doing what they do.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think that would be amazing, but entirely unrealistic.

I mean, it's not entirely without precedent, as Melty Blood Type Lumina had "free for now" DLC characters that just...never stopped being free, and Rivals of Aether 2 and I think 2XKO both plan on adding all of it's characers for free as well, but I feel like these are outliers that shouldn't be counted. It all just sounds way too good to be true.

EDIT: Alarmo is so funny. We made an innovative alarm that achieves maximum annoyance by spamming sound effects. The "Wake up Link" for the Zelda one is absolute perfection. lol

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm no longer convinced that the switch 2 is real. It is just a collective hallucination and Nintendo is just going to keep doing what they do.
Switch 2? Why do you want one so soon, you just got your first one! Go play Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild! I'm sure that Smash 4 port will come out eventually.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
...early access? Has Nintendo ever done that before?

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
At this point, if Nintendo is working on the Switch 2, an announcement or reveal feels more likely for next year.

It could happen before the end of the year, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Also, off-topic but…

TokiMemo localization when, Konami?

Last edited:
Top Bottom