• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I doubt the street fighter duo is getting cut anytime soon.

Its Street fighter lol
I always prefered Sub-Zero, unlike a lot of people. The best solution would be to have both of them in Smash... Or Both of them in one character: Reptile as he was in the first Mortal Kombat.
It's just a random example. You can insert any matchup you've been dying to see. And then imagine one of them getting in just in time for the other to be cut.

Mortal Kombat is a garbage fighting series held up by its gorey brutal kill gimmick. all the NON killing/cinematic stuff is ass looking.
I agree. But it's also an iconic franchise that is synonymous with video games. So it deserves to be in Smash.

I like Sub-Zero more as well.
I think Scorpion is the better choice. He's literally the poster child for Netherrealms, and his moveset is better suited to Smash. Teleports and a grappling line are well suited for recovery.

Except for the fact that local retailers are iffy on Z-Rated games to the point some won't even stock them or have special regulations in regards to selling them to prevent anyone under 18 from purchasing.

Now imagine trying to sell games not even rated by CERO because they go beyond Z.
Gosh. It's too bad there no way to, like, just order things yourself online.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
View attachment 395052
Ok, Nintendo is definitely cooking something for the holidays. They are currently giving appetizers to make up of no major news yet.
I mean according to the info they gave, it's some kind of test for a new feature for NSO, so it could be something small, but doing a 10000 person playtest that requires an application to get in (and only out of people that are active Expansion Pak users at that) is certainly making me think otherwise lol

Last edited:

DKing

Smash Apprentice
For the Nintendo Alarm I saw that ring fit Adventure was a member of the first alarm they presented with this I can saw that importance make the ring fit trainee have a good chance in the base game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Japan, US, UK, France, Italy, Germany or Spain

No Canada.
View attachment 395053
Surprised I can get it in the UK tbh, sucks it isn't available everywhere though. Still inconvenient timing for me, my current plan is to either just skip class and watch the lecture online or sprint to the uni library right after my lecture (it ends the exact same time this opens)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think Scorpion is the better choice. He's literally the poster child for Netherrealms, and his moveset is better suited to Smash. Teleports and a grappling line are well suited for recovery.
I agree they’d likely go with Scorpion first since he’s the most pushed character but they’d probably give us both at once anyways as semiclones. Sub-Zero’s kit can work for Smash too. Here’s a rough idea for specials:

Neutral Special: Freeze/Ice Shower - If you don’t input a direction during the attack or push forward, Sub-Zero uses his standard horizontal freeze attack. Holding up after inputting changes the attack to ice shower which comes down vertically where the opponent was standing when he started the attack.

Up Special: Ice Clone - Sub-Zero leaps into the air leaving a frozen copy of himself where he started for a short time freezing anyone it touches.

Forward Special: Slide - Sub-Zero performs a sliding kick along the ground leaving a frosty trail. Kind of like an ice version of Falcon Kick

Down Special: Ground Freeze - Sub-Zero freezes the ground in front of him into a frozen puddle. Any enemy that touches it trips. The puddle disappears after a short while.

You could always swap the down an forward specials if the slide feels more natural as a down if you’re used to playing Captain Falcon or Ganondorf. Either option works.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Whoever said it wasn't its own IP was lying through their teeth.
I kinda assumed it was a Wii Fit spinoff, going off the name. We did get a sequel in Wii Fit U, after all, so I assumed it was part of the series. Though, checking sites like Wikipedia it's counted as more of a spiritual successor than an actual sequel

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I agree they’d likely go with Scorpion first since he’s the most pushed character but they’d probably give us both at once anyways as semiclones. Sub-Zero’s kit can work for Smash too. Here’s a rough idea for specials:

Neutral Special: Freeze/Ice Shower - If you don’t input a direction during the attack or push forward, Sub-Zero uses his standard horizontal freeze attack. Holding up after inputting changes the attack to ice shower which comes down vertically where the opponent was standing when he started the attack.

Up Special: Ice Clone - Sub-Zero leaps into the air leaving a frozen copy of himself where he started for a short time freezing anyone it touches.

Forward Special: Slide - Sub-Zero performs a sliding kick along the ground leaving a frosty trail. Kind of like an ice version of Falcon Kick

Down Special: Ground Freeze - Sub-Zero freezes the ground in front of him into a frozen puddle. Any enemy that touches it trips. The puddle disappears after a short while.

You could always swap the down an forward specials if the slide feels more natural as a down if you’re used to playing Captain Falcon or Ganondorf. Either option works.
I've already proposed an idea on how you can make Scorp and Sub have similar movesets years ago:
But now that I've played PMEX Remix I kinda regret the part where it says "you'll actually have to barrage an opponent with multiple Freezes to get it to actually freeze" because needing to hit opponents with only one Freeze is fine there. That and there's stuff in Sub's normals that ONLY works with him (IE: Down Smash being his Ground Freeze)

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
The alarm has to be one of the most pointless products I've ever seen lmao. Imagine your partner having to hear a bunch of bing bing wahoos every morning as you wake up. I'd get kicked out in a week.

The alarm playing a little victory fanfare when you finally get up is hilarious though, sometimes you really deserve something like that...
But overall it feels more like a collector's item than anything else to me.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Im gonna do a hot take here and say Mortal Kombat sucks, its "gimmick" would have to be toned down significantly (probably still fine honestly) and the vast majoirty of moveset animations in that franchise are DOG****, put them into Smash and you have awkwrd stances, animations and boring characters. And if you think they wouldnt suck, I bring to attention, Steve in Smash.
this explains my point.

Mortal Kombat is a garbage fighting series held up by its gorey brutal kill gimmick. all the NON killing/cinematic stuff is ass looking.
I really don't think this was necessary to say at all.

Okay you don't like MK (unlike myself), so what?

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I really don't think this was necessary to say at all.

Okay you don't like MK (unlike myself), so what?
I just think if MK is adapted into Smash to be accurate to source material (animation wise, not counting fatalities for obvious reasons) it would not make for very good looking content. I think Scorpion an Sub-Zero if given better animations not as accurate to their source material would be perfectly fine characters for Smash.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I just think if MK is adapted into Smash to be accurate to source material (animation wise, not counting fatalities for obvious reasons) it would not make for very good looking content. I think Scorpion an Sub-Zero if given better animations not as accurate to their source material would be perfectly fine characters for Smash.
I don't know why would that even concern you. Obviously, they wouldn't copy the animations from the series, nor would they even need to. All they need are things like the fighting game gimmicks that are already present in Smash, and some type of Finishing Move feature for one-on-one matches.

If that was really all you were worried about, then all you had to do was just say that instead of just straight up bashing the series like that.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
Mortal Kombat being in would be cool, mainly for fighting the other fighting game characters, but I don’t expect it due to international factors already mentioned. DOOM is the notorious violent 90’s digitized game I’d expect, if any fitting that description. Both are more likely than Night Trap, at least.

Animation-wise, they should keep the classic MK1 - UMK3 stances, some basic motions like “Get Over Here!”, but they don’t gotta make them intentionally stiff, otherwise.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Except for the fact that local retailers are iffy on Z-Rated games to the point some won't even stock them or have special regulations in regards to selling them to prevent anyone under 18 from purchasing.

Now imagine trying to sell games not even rated by CERO because they go beyond Z.
That just goes to show how hilariously different our sensibilities are when it comes to violence.

America: "Blood and gore so intense that the devs gave themselves PTSD when looking for more gruesome ways to kill? Rated M for mature."
Japan: "This is worse than our age restricted adult rating."

Honestly that kind of makes me shudder at what the heck AO games have assuming they're AO for violence. Also, I know this discrepancy is an America vs. the rest of the world thing, and not just a Japan thing, but the joke wouldn't work if I said it the other way because Mortal Kombat is in Europe...at least I think it is.

And if you think they wouldnt suck, I bring to attention, Steve in Smash.
[AGE RESTRICTED VIDEO]
My gut says that this is on of SugarPunch's video on why Mortal Kombat's animation sucks, but the implication that it's about Steve's Smash animations is hilarious.

EDIT: I forgot I could just click on the YouTube link and uh yup. I was right. lol

Smash has a few rough animations across the board, but over all it's not even close, honestly. Mortal Kombat, and Injustice too by proxy, are sort of infamous for having REALLY poor combat animation, almost inarguably the worst out of mainstream fighting games. They're notoriously stiff: the best comparison I can make is to imagine trying to throw a progressive series of three punches while keeping your feet firmly planted in a standing position, not allowing them to move.

That's what basically every Mortal Kombat attack feels like.
Injustice in particular has some of the silliest animation decisions I've seen, from stance switch forcing asymmetrical characters to morph their body so hitboxes don't change to...this:
This video explains why it's bad and why they might have done it this way, but if you don't care about that, skip to 1.11 for the demonstration.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Apparently the thing tomorrow will require you to download additional software. I wonder if it could be miiverse or something similar. And if so, would they patch support into old games (I adored miiverse in Smash 4, would love to see it return).

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
As someone who doesn't particularly care for MK, I think it'd be relatively easy to adapt for Smash.

It's a fighting game series, so outside of maybe an up air or additional throws, the characters already have complete movesets to work with.

The blood and gore would obviously be left out so no brutalities or fatalities but I honestly don't think that's a problem.

There are other things that can be used in their place or they could just make something up for a Final Smash and call it a day.

I'm personally partial to making Friendship a possible finisher that just takes you to the results screen if the opponent is on their last stock.

They could still reference as few other things if they're willing to do character specific finishers.

Babalities for the Mario cast (+DK, Yoshi and Wario) where they get encased in a bubble and get carried into the blast zone.

Reverse Animalities where the opponent gets turned into a harmless animal like Link getting turned into a bunny like in A Link to the Past.

Most characters would probably have to share a generic one like the aforementioned Friendship but there's room there for some fun and creativity. And all within the bounds of what's allowed for Smash.

MK's real problem is having an extremely limited presence in Japan when Smash is a Japanese game that will, as expected, prioritize Japanese devs for guests.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Yeah, DOOM probably has a much better chance of getting into Smash than Mortal Kombat anyway. Because while they both have a lot of dark, fantastical elements, they're also both graphically violent. However…

DOOM seems to be pretty popular in Japan, and Mortal Kombat hasn't been released in Japan in years. Plus, the DOOM series has better music.

Speaking of DOOM music, I'd also love to hear a Smash remix of the DOOM 64/Final DOOM theme.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As far as animations go, I do have to say that a Mortal Kombat character wouldn't animate any worse than some of the other strangely animating characters on the roster like Steve, Mr. Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, and Kazuya. In fact, I'd say Kazuya is a good example here because he's an otherwise normal looking character with deliberately jank animations that mimic his home series. A Mortal Kombat character would probably take more liberties than Kazuya did, but with how characters like this are handled, I have a feeling they'd make them evoke the early games' style where all the sprites were just images of real actors. The actual animations will probably be smooth like the other characters, as I doubt they'd hand animate them, but you'd still get the sense that the character is animating as if they have real life physics while performing inhuman/physically impossible athletic stunts and animation cancels and such.

And then their victory and Final Smash animations are one of the smoothest in the entire game because NetherRealm's cinematic animations are Hollywood movie quality. In the context of Smash, this disparity will never not be funny.

EDIT: I just had an idea of you could incorporate Fatalities into Scorpion's kit. More specifically, his Final Smash. Initially, all it does is give you the Trophy Stand item from Super Smash Bros. Brawl. If you hit a fighter with it, it will do the iconic "FINISH THEM!!!" thing, and pressing either attack button near a fighter gives you Scorpion's classic Mortal Kombat Fatality. With motion inputs though, you get a cinematic version of it where it zooms in on the trophyified character heating up until it explodes, K.O.ing them at 100+%, and taking you straight to the win screen if they're the last opponent on their on last stock. This would be a fun way to get as close to gore without actually going there, and would sell the brutality of Mortal Kombat in a unique way. It also allows you to add other fun Easter Eggs like Friendships that do no damage or take stocks, but do still win you the match in 100+% last stock situations, or animalities where they have a T-Rex bite down on the trophies and shake them around like a dog with a toy or something along those lines. I don't know enough to say that this would work for characters other than Scorpion, but I think it would be a pretty fun and creative way of encorporating the Fatality system.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Yeah, DOOM probably has a much better chance of getting into Smash than Mortal Kombat anyway. Because while they both have a lot of dark, fantastical elements, they're also both graphically violent. However…

DOOM seems to be pretty popular in Japan, and Mortal Kombat hasn't been released in Japan in years.

Speaking of DOOM music, I'd also love to hear a Smash remix of the DOOM 64/Final DOOM theme.
Doom isn't pretty popular in Japan, but it at least continues to exist.

Plus, the DOOM series has better music.

Overall though yes

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
How about Chameleon from Mortal Kombat Trilogy? It has the attacks of every Ninja up to that point.
Good point. Though Reptile is more iconic, and he also was the first secret character in a fighting game.
View attachment 395052Ok, Nintendo is definitely cooking something for the holidays. They are currently giving appetizers to make up of no major news yet.
I'd like to believe that! I'd like to believe the five holes at the bottom of the roster are gonna be filled with another fighter pass. But I'm too disillusioned.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I dont know why so many people say NO FATALTIES when toasty is VERY easily be able to be turned into a pg Move!
Just have a goofy cartoony skeleton, Have them burn away all the gore instantly and remove the creepy Scream bam it not worse than bowser turning into dry bowser in NSMB!
Consider the fact that even that would require the owners of every IP present to agree to that being done to their characters.

Even "reduced to a non-gorey skeleton" seems way too far for brands like Pokémon or Kingdom Hearts.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So like the first Mortal Kombat on the SNES?
Yeah, that’s essentially what I’m thinking. I know the SNES version was panned at the time for removing the blood and gore that drove interest in the series in the first place but it’s understandable for something like Smash. Like I mentioned earlier, MK characters have been toned down many times since and never had that same negative reaction the first SNES game did. I think the characters are cool beyond just the violence and gore aspect. Ninjas with ice powers, hellish fiery powers, chameleon like invisibility, robot ninjas, sorcerers with soul stealing transformations, and many others are just cool concepts in general completely divorced of the gore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom