• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So anyway when’s Alarmo gonna be in Smash
I feel insane trying to use the ****ing Nintendo Alarm Clock for speculation, but them including Pikmin 4 as one of the five games feels extremely significant to me. They're really trying to push Pikmin as a big series now - so I think Otachi stocks are going way up.

Also Ring Fit Adventure but we all kind of agree that's a lock.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
I feel insane trying to use the ****ing Nintendo Alarm Clock for speculation, but them including Pikmin 4 as one of the five games feels extremely significant to me. They're really trying to push Pikmin as a big series now - so I think Otachi stocks are going way up.

To be fair, the five games here would line up best with Mario Kart. Pikmin really is the last big EPD series that isn’t in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe before we start delving into externally developed first party series, namely Metroid and Xenoblade.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Pretty much me now with Nintendo news in the unpredictable zone for now.
Screenshot_20241009_090539_Chrome.jpg

I need to take a step back for the time being while waiting.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I wonder whatever happened to Pokemon ZA.

I will say that the chances of eih2 are slightly more than 0 as long as namco keeps working on the game. Did you see how many characters were in Sparking Zero? Obviously apples to oranges but it's clear bamco are no stranger to making assets good for use in multiple games. Maybe Ultimate's aren't good enough to reuse onto more powerful hardware, but maybe the next one can be built off in the same way as dragon ball games does with their assets...

Also, it'd be comedic if the switch 2 was announced this week because I'd be in the aftermath of hurricane Milton and thus in a rare state where I couldn't make time to watch it "live".
Also with they basically have a monopoly on crossover titles, if the need arises Nintendo could just get their help with negotiating the third parties back.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Gamefreak's taking their time for once. ****in' wacky, right?

It was always set for a 2025 release. Everyone just kinda assumed that meant early 2025, but that was never stated.

At this point we'll probably get our first glimpse next February on Pokemon Day, and from there it'll release later in the year. My guess is summer at the earliest, holiday season at the latest.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Gamefreak's taking their time for once. ****in' wacky, right?

It was always set for a 2025 release. Everyone just kinda assumed that meant early 2025, but that was never stated.

At this point we'll probably get our first glimpse next February on Pokemon Day, and from there it'll release later in the year. My guess is summer at the earliest, holiday season at the latest.
it just feels weird man.

I feel like we should have at least seen what the player characters look like by now.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Here’s a question I’ve had on my mind since last night: how would you guys feel if, in the next Smash game, any veterans who missed out on the base roster were added back in free updates, and the lineup of paid DLC fighters consisted entirely of newcomers?
Totally fine.

I want EiH2. But I don't NEED EiH2 to be there at launch. As long as it's back by end-of-game, I'm good.

Did Smash 4 charge less for returning veteran DLC than completely new characters? I vaguely remember that being the case.
Yes. I distinctly remember characters like Roy and Lucas being cheaper than characters like Ryu and Cloud.

I could be wrong but I feel like it wouldn’t be overly difficult to at least bring every first party character back if the engine remains roughly similar to Ultimate’s. I think the biggest hurdle in bringing everyone back is licensing for third party characters.
Honestly? I'd be okay with Smash 6's base roster having every 1P veteran, and 1P newcomers. And then all the 3P characters being DLC. Even if they were at-launch DLC.

I'm basically paying for the license.

One thing to keep in mind is, even if the next roster is drastically different from Ultimate's.....Ultimate will still be there.
The best part of Smash is getting to face off with characters from different series.

If I always wanted to see Ryu fight Scorpion, Scorpion being in Smash 6 is meaningless if Ryu got cut.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
it just feels weird man.

I feel like we should have at least seen what the player characters look like by now.
I mean, if it's anything like Pokemon Arceus, the characters will more than likely look like Calem and Serena, the X & Y protagonists.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Also with they basically have a monopoly on crossover titles, if the need arises Nintendo could just get their help with negotiating the third parties back.
I’m looking forward to the game but I’d rather they take their time to make sure it’s good when it comes out. For now, I’m holding myself over with Digimon: Hacker’s Memory and Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince. I’d recommend both games if you’re looking for fun monster taming games while we wait. I bought Shin Megami Tensei V so that’s next on my list once I complete Dragon Quest.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yes. I distinctly remember characters like Roy and Lucas being cheaper than characters like Ryu and Cloud.
Mainly because Ryu and Cloud also came with a stage.

If I always wanted to see Ryu fight Scorpion, Scorpion being in Smash 6 is meaningless if Ryu got cut.
I doubt the street fighter duo is getting cut anytime soon.

Its Street fighter lol

I’m looking forward to the game but I’d rather they take their time to make sure it’s good when it comes out. For now, I’m holding myself over with Digimon: Hacker’s Memory and Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince. I’d recommend both games if you’re looking for fun monster taming games while we wait. I bought Shin Megami Tensei V so that’s next on my list once I complete Dragon Quest.
I already played both of those lol

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Also, off-topic but…

TokiMemo localization when, Konami?
I still prefer Something To Do With Love

I always prefered Sub-Zero, unlike a lot of people. The best solution would be to have both of them in Smash... Or Both of them in one character: Reptile as he was in the first Mortal Kombat.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Im gonna do a hot take here and say Mortal Kombat sucks, its "gimmick" would have to be toned down significantly (probably still fine honestly) and the vast majoirty of moveset animations in that franchise are DOG****, put them into Smash and you have awkwrd stances, animations and boring characters. And if you think they wouldnt suck, I bring to attention, Steve in Smash.
this explains my point.

Mortal Kombat is a garbage fighting series held up by its gorey brutal kill gimmick. all the NON killing/cinematic stuff is ass looking.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I still prefer Something To Do With Love

I always prefered Sub-Zero, unlike a lot of people. The best solution would be to have both of them in Smash... Or Both of them in one character: Reptile as he was in the first Mortal Kombat.
I like Sub-Zero more as well. I think they could both join as semiclones with alternate specials. Both characters had the same normals in the classic games so if they based their movesets on that, they’d work fine.

I’m really hoping they go with the Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 designs if they make it in. Those are easily my favorites in the series.

1728496919787.jpeg

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
And if you think they wouldnt suck, I bring to attention, Steve in Smash.
I'm gonna maybe hot take this real quick and say Steve is perfectly fine in terms of animations for what the character design is, and if he had animations like everyone else did he'd look even more awkward and out of place than some people think he already is now.

Back to the main point of your post though, I do agree with some of this in regards to Mortal Kombat (at least animation wise, though probably with less harsh words lol). You'd have to tone a Mortal Kombat character down quite a bit (no x-rays, no fatalities that involve blood or gore, no brutalities I think) and there's still the whole "banned in Japan" thing, so I guess my opinion on Scorpion or Sub-Zero or whoever is more based on that though the first point still plays a part lol

As long as that's the case I can't see Mortal Kombat ever coming to Smash. Like Sakurai said if he knew that Mother 3 wasn't coming out in the west he wouldn't have included Lucas in Brawl, so a series that's legally not purchasable in Smash's home region of Japan? Yikes.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I'm gonna maybe hot take this real quick and say Steve is perfectly fine in terms of animations for what the character design is, and if he had animations like everyone else did he'd look even more awkward and out of place than some people think he already is now.

Back to the main point of your post though, I do agree with some of this in regards to Mortal Kombat (at least animation wise, though probably with less harsh words lol). You'd have to tone a Mortal Kombat character down quite a bit (no x-rays, no fatalities that involve blood or gore, no brutalities I think) and there's still the whole "banned in Japan" thing, so I guess my opinion on Scorpion or Sub-Zero or whoever is more based on that though the first point still plays a part lol

As long as that's the case I can't see Mortal Kombat ever coming to Smash. Like Sakurai said if he knew that Mother 3 wasn't coming out in the west he wouldn't have included Lucas in Brawl, so a series that's legally not purchasable in Smash's home region of Japan? Yikes.
Ive never thought the fatalies would keep MK out of Smash, my argument is that is MK would suck to bring into Smash cause MK as a fighting franchise is held up by the fatalities and take those away and its...not very good in anything else.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Ive never thought the fatalies would keep MK out of Smash, my argument is that is MK would suck to bring into Smash cause MK as a fighting franchise is held up by the fatalities and take those away and its...not very good in anything else.
Well I don't necessarily think the fatalities would keep MK OUT of Smash, I'm saying they'd have to be toned down (as you said) unless they used certain ones because I think there are PROBABLY some that are less gorey? Not sure, don't really play the series, but I feel like there are a few maybe.

My main point keeping MK out of Smash is the regional presence (or lack thereof, rather) and the fact that it's banned in Smash's home country. The rest was just kind of agreeing with you that some animations in MK are very rough and don't look great, and a brief bit about Steve lol

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Well I don't necessarily think the fatalities would keep MK OUT of Smash, I'm saying they'd have to be toned down (as you said) unless they used certain ones because I think there are PROBABLY some that are less gorey? Not sure, don't really play the series, but I feel like there are a few maybe.

My main point keeping MK out of Smash is the regional presence and the fact that it's banned in Smash's home country. The rest was just kind of agreeing with you that some animations in MK are very rough and don't look great, and a brief bit about Steve lol
Yeah its position in Japan makes things awkward.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Mortal Kombat has already been toned down many times in the past. MK characters are in Injustice with toned down movesets. There was a kid’s cartoon in the 90’s and the first movie was pretty tame as well. If you base it off the classic games, you don’t need things like X-Rays or anything like that. You’d have to give the characters new fatalities but I think you could keep the spirit of them while toning it down a lot for ratings. I think there was talk of including MK characters in Multiverses too. Game of Thrones already has a character in that game and that’s arguably even worse than MK in ways.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord

My main point keeping MK out of Smash is the regional presence (or lack thereof, rather) and the fact that it's banned in Smash's home country. The rest was just kind of agreeing with you that some animations in MK are very rough and don't look great, and a brief bit about Steve lol
Being "banned" is a misconception that's been corrected quite a bit.

It isn't banned. It is however not sold in Japan because it would require toning down to get rated by the CERO board and NetherRealm won't do it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Of course the fact that modern day consoles are region free implies that it not toning down Mortal kombat for the Japanese market is a moot point when local shops could just import foreign copies so people can play on their local consoles.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I feel like I might be the only one that thinks Mortal Kombat is cool and doesn’t care at all about the gore. I just think a lot of the character designs are cool and I have nostalgia for Mortal Kombat 3, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and Mortsl Kombat Trilogy. Sub-Zero is a cool ninja with ice powers which is an awesome combination and he was voiced by one of my favorite voice actors a couple games ago (Steve Blum). I haven’t really kept up much with the series since Trilogy on the N64 but I’ve watched my friends play the modern games.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Actually, this does do away with maybe my one reservation about Ring Fit Adventure representation next game. It shows that Nintendo does in fact consider Ring Fit Adventure as a strong individual brand, more than just a simple gimmick title. And at that considers it a core Nintendo Switch title, on the level of their most significant and highly marketed franchises. Out of what they had to show today Ring Fit is the one series to appear outside of the "big five" that is most central to Nintendo's company branding.

So yeah, this is probably the best affirmation yet that Ring Fit isn't to be treated as a passing fad and instead a genuinely significant new Nintendo IP.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like I might be the only one that thinks Mortal Kombat is cool and doesn’t care at all about the gore. I just think a lot of the character designs are cool and I have nostalgia for Mortal Kombat 3, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and Mortsl Kombat Trilogy. Sub-Zero is a cool ninja with ice powers which is an awesome combination and he was voiced by one of my favorite voice actors a couple games ago (Steve Blum). I haven’t really kept up much with the series since Trilogy on the N64 but I’ve watched my friends play the modern games.
oh mortal kombat probably could get into smash. they’d just have to call it Scorpion in America

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
Of course the fact that modern day consoles are region free implies that it not toning down Mortal kombat for the Japanese market is a moot point when local shops could just import foreign copies so people can play on their local consoles.
Except for the fact that local retailers are iffy on Z-Rated games to the point some won't even stock them or have special regulations in regards to selling them to prevent anyone under 18 from purchasing.

Now imagine trying to sell games not even rated by CERO because they go beyond Z.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Im gonna do a hot take here and say Mortal Kombat sucks, its "gimmick" would have to be toned down significantly (probably still fine honestly) and the vast majoirty of moveset animations in that franchise are DOG****, put them into Smash and you have awkwrd stances, animations and boring characters. And if you think they wouldnt suck, I bring to attention, Steve in Smash.
this explains my point.

Mortal Kombat is a garbage fighting series held up by its gorey brutal kill gimmick. all the NON killing/cinematic stuff is ass looking.
Man! That video made me realize a 1vs1 fighting game with a graphic in the style of an adult animated comedy series (Like The Simpsons, Family Guy or American Dad) would be more interesting.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Actually, this does do away with maybe my one reservation about Ring Fit Adventure representation next game. It shows that Nintendo does in fact consider Ring Fit Adventure as a strong individual brand, more than just a simple gimmick title. And at that considers it a core Nintendo Switch title, on the level of their most significant and highly marketed franchises. Out of what they had to show today Ring Fit is the one series to appear outside of the "big five" that is most central to Nintendo's company branding.

So yeah, this is probably the best affirmation yet that Ring Fit isn't to be treated as a passing fad and instead a genuinely significant new Nintendo IP.
Erm, technically it's a spinoff of Wii Fit 🤓

Though, Smash seems to list the Spirits separately, as opposed to treating them as part of the Wii Fit series, so I guess it really is a new IP.

On that note, has anyone made a Ring Fit moveset before? I didn't play the game because im a lazy couch potato but I at least know there's the four different exercise categories and the wind blast. What's the extent of the RIng Fit abilities and how would they be implemented in Smash?

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

Though, Smash seems to list the Spirits separately, as opposed to treating them as part of the Wii Fit series, so I guess it really is a new IP.

On that note, has anyone made a Ring Fit moveset before? I didn't play the game because im a lazy couch potato but I at least know there's the four different exercise categories and the wind blast. What's the extent of the RIng Fit abilities and how would they be implemented in Smash?
I'm not gonna lie, I think the only people who care whether Ring Fit is in the same franchise as Wii Fit are Smash fans.

That said, the exercises done in Ring Fit are totally different from the yoga done in Wii Fit, so the movesets would be a lot different.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Being "banned" is a misconception that's been corrected quite a bit.

It isn't banned. It is however not sold in Japan because it would require toning down to get rated by the CERO board and NetherRealm won't do it.
Fair enough. Still think the lack of any actual presence in Japan is probably a death knell for the series at the end of the day lol

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord

Whoever said it wasn't its own IP was lying through their teeth.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
so business as usual

:4pacman:
Smash has a few rough animations across the board, but over all it's not even close, honestly. Mortal Kombat, and Injustice too by proxy, are sort of infamous for having REALLY poor combat animation, almost inarguably the worst out of mainstream fighting games. They're notoriously stiff: the best comparison I can make is to imagine trying to throw a progressive series of three punches while keeping your feet firmly planted in a standing position, not allowing them to move.

That's what basically every Mortal Kombat attack feels like.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
so business as usual
Smash has a few rough animations across the board, but over all it's not even close, honestly. Mortal Kombat, and Injustice too by proxy, are sort of infamous for having REALLY poor combat animation, almost inarguably the worst out of mainstream fighting games. They're notoriously stiff: the best comparison I can make is to imagine trying to throw a progressive series of three punches while keeping your feet firmly planted in a standing position, not allowing them to move.

This video alone is enough proof Sakurai knows a lot more about how to make gameplay animations look good than Ed Boon. Even before NRS animations became the subject of mockery I thought the 2D MKs' attacks looked weird.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I do think that one could do an effective tribute to MK short of actual character. Classic Mortal Kombat ninja outfit (with different colors) as a Mii Costume, a Sub Zero (or Scorpion) assist trophy, Shinnok's Amulet perhaps boosting a fighter during a match and so on.

Honestly just the image of Ryu, Terry, & Kazuya fighting while a Sub Zero is shooting ice blasts would something astounding to see in action.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I think you're lecturing the wrong person

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
the people at MK straight up have no idea what they're doing it seems in regards to normal attack animations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom