• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
If they do have a story mode next game, do you think they'll finally make the Smash Mansion headcanon real?
banjo hmc.png

Reading this reminded me, I remember hearing a headcanon that this castle in the background of Home Run Contest was the actual "Smash Mansion". I like that idea and it'd be cool if it was made real. Though IG it'd be a "Smash Castle" instead lol.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Most Nintendo characters don't even talk anyways.
And even if they did I doubt that Link and Diddy Kong would have much of particular interest to say to each other.
This "issue" is very much overblown by fans. When looking at which characters appear in the SSE, a VAST majority are capable of speech, whether it be spoken word or subtitled. People just cherrypick from the few who wouldn't be able to speak, such as in the example you gave.

Small chart because file sizes are a pain on this website.
Brawl roster.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Even without the Union factor, we knew the SSE was very difficult to even get that going without taking up a severe amount of development time.

Making a Story Mode now with a different kind of cutscene is going to still take up way too much time while other modes suffer. Ultimate at most had a more or two gone due to little time to do everything, and we only at worst really lost one mode(and no matter how you go about it, Target Test and its equivalents are harder to make work with a massive-sized cast. Even more notable is how long it takes to get whatever reward it is for them, which was already a herculean task starting in Brawl alone).

Voice-overs in every language to make it work? They already do that enough where it really counts(properly saying the character's name when selected). It's significantly more costly than is being implied here. Again, it's not simply a Union thing. It's a massive amount of Actors and Actresses being hired. It's even more noticeable when they recycle a crapload of stuff to make budget. They still have limitations budget-wise. Nintendo isn't making a movie here or a set of movies. They're making a video game. Priorities need to be on the actual gameplay first, and what is most popular, you know, having a large cast of characters people want. Recording that many lines for every character also takes a looooooooooot of time. Like, way more than it needs to be. Especially when said Story Mode is never going to be the most important part of the game. SSE only really was plausible due to using body movement as its core way to portray the Story, and it honestly did work just fine. Missing a cutscene or two did happen, and the closest thing we get to an oddity is that Ganondorf's portrayal is implied he might've wanted to become the true Big Bad by betraying Master Hand, but it's too vague. ...At the end of the day, he still joins the Smasher's sides and defends Master Hand from the true Big Bad, Tabuu, so the implications aren't delved into enough to really matter. He's still a nasty person within what he does, but simply may just be loyal(but it isn't the real Ganondorf, so that's hardly a big deal).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Out of curiocity, I looked up which characters got new portrayals, and which didn't (source is SmashWiki):
New Lines
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultkirby::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultmarth::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultbrawler::ultswordfighter::ultgunner::ultcloud::ultincineroar::ultchrom::ultbyleth::ultbylethf::ultpyra::ultmythra::ultken::ultsephiroth::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultjoker:(Joker):ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4::ult_terry::ultkazuya:
New Lines (English Only)
:ultroy:
New Lines (Japanese Only)
:ultjigglypuff:
Reused from Smash
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultzss::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultfalcon::ultness::ultlucas::ulticeclimbers::ultrobin::ultrobinf::ultlucina::ultcorrin::ultcorrinf::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultwiifittrainerm::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultsnake::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:
Reused from Smash (Japanese Only)
:ultroy::ultsonic:
Reused from Other Games
:ultrosalina::ultbowserjr:(also applies to Koopalings):ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultolimar:(Pikmin):ultdaisy::ultinkling::ultinklingboy::ultminmin:ultbanjokazooie::ultsora:
Reused from Other Games (In Every Language Other Than Japanese)
:ultsonic:
Not Voice Acted
:ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultsamus::ultgnw::ultolimar:(Captains):ultrob::ultvillager::ultduckhunt::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultpiranha::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle::ultjoker:(Arséne):ultsteve:
Some Notes:
  • Kirby always has new lines recorded for new Copy Abilities, but otherwise is repurposed from SSB4.
  • The Kid Icarus cast have new lines for the Palutena's Guidance Easter Egg, but are otherwise the same.
  • Cloud and Sephiroth do not use their English VAs despite having them elsewhere. Cloud got a new line for his new Final Smash, but is otherwise repurposed from the previous game.
  • Roy recieved a new portrayal in English, but unlike with Marth, they did not record new lines for the Japanese version, likely because they literally just recorded them.
  • Jigglypuff was apparently given new voice lines Japanese version? All other versions are repurposed from 64 or Brawl.
  • Rosalina both had new and recycled lines in SSB4, which are recycled here. All of Luma's lines are recycled. Strangely, they did not use Rosalina's current voice actor.
  • This is apparantly the first game in which Ness didn't get his lines rerecorded.
  • Sonic didn't get new lines across the board, but I guess to keep up with the current portrayals (except for in Spanish for some reason), they pulled from other games.
  • Holy cow what's with all the Pokémon VAs dying after their portrayal in Ultimate? These were Jigglypuff (English), Incineroar (JP), and Mewtwo. Granted, three isn't a ton, but it's still kinda sad to read back to back.

There were a lot more characters with new voice lines than I thought, though more characters use repurposed lines than don't. The only case that bothers me is the Mario brothers because they were given odd voice directions in Brawl with IMO caused Charels's portrayal of them to be worse than normal, especially compared to his performances on the Switch, and the voice recycling is painfully ovbious on Dr. Mario's win screens.

The original goal was to see how NoA's anti union stuff affected this, but it really only seems to affect the Kid Icarus cast (they go uncredited), and the Final Fantasy cast (likely because Cloud's VA was unionized, and didn't get another until after Ultimate, so Sephiroth had to match, although Cloud did get a new line recorded when Sephiroth was being developed so they might could have relooked at getting an English VA but...). Sonic might also be affected by this, but could also be a special case. The only other thing that I know this would affect is Lucina getting new voice clips, as they dropped Laura Bailey because she unionized (EDIT: Meaning that her VA would be different in future portrayals, not that she can't get them). Other than that, everyone seems to get equal treatment across the board.

Also I could have sworn Sakurai said Sora got new voice clips, but I guess not?

Last edited:

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
This "issue" is very much overblown by fans. When looking at which characters appear in the SSE, a VAST majority are capable of speech, whether it be spoken word or subtitled. People just cherrypick from the few who wouldn't be able to speak, such as in the example you gave.

View attachment 395025
I'd even argue the DK crew could go in subtitled, IIRC they've handled their speech in that manner in some games.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Even without the Union factor, we knew the SSE was very difficult to even get that going without taking up a severe amount of development time.

Making a Story Mode now with a different kind of cutscene is going to still take up way too much time while other modes suffer. Ultimate at most had a more or two gone due to little time to do everything, and we only at worst really lost one mode(and no matter how you go about it, Target Test and its equivalents are harder to make work with a massive-sized cast. Even more notable is how long it takes to get whatever reward it is for them, which was already a herculean task starting in Brawl alone).

Voice-overs in every language to make it work? They already do that enough where it really counts(properly saying the character's name when selected). It's significantly more costly than is being implied here. Again, it's not simply a Union thing. It's a massive amount of Actors and Actresses being hired. It's even more noticeable when they recycle a crapload of stuff to make budget. They still have limitations budget-wise. Nintendo isn't making a movie here or a set of movies. They're making a video game. Priorities need to be on the actual gameplay first, and what is most popular, you know, having a large cast of characters people want. Recording that many lines for every character also takes a looooooooooot of time. Like, way more than it needs to be. Especially when said Story Mode is never going to be the most important part of the game. SSE only really was plausible due to using body movement as its core way to portray the Story, and it honestly did work just fine. Missing a cutscene or two did happen, and the closest thing we get to an oddity is that Ganondorf's portrayal is implied he might've wanted to become the true Big Bad by betraying Master Hand, but it's too vague. ...At the end of the day, he still joins the Smasher's sides and defends Master Hand from the true Big Bad, Tabuu, so the implications aren't delved into enough to really matter. He's still a nasty person within what he does, but simply may just be loyal(but it isn't the real Ganondorf, so that's hardly a big deal).
You make good points to why this would take a lot of work but I still don’t see it as impossible. Many RPGs have more characters than Smash if you include all the NPCs with voiced dialogue and they manage somehow. I don’t know the specifics of how DBZ Budokai characters interact but they have over 100 more characters than Ultimate. Maybe the issue is that Smash is localized in more languages than these games but I don’t think it’s an impossible feat. Even with a story with spoken dialogue, it would almost definitely be much less than pretty much any modern RPG.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
One word:
LINK

More Words:
That guy has like 15 Unique Versions with multiple Swords, Shields and Some Brand new Special moves from the champion era!
Considering you said you think that certain characters shouldn't have custom moves... I don't think your concern is all that valid.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd even argue the DK crew could go in subtitled, IIRC they've handled their speech in that manner in some games.
Definitely. I just put him and Diddy there due to their Smash portrayals leaning into the more animalistic side.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Small nitpick, but the Mario bros. are kind of a weird case here since they very commonly are given voice lines, but almost never speak in complete sentences, and have never been given dialogue in a conversation. In text only situations, Luigi is often given full dialogue, but Mario is always completely silent aside from player choice dialogue.

There is also the Super Mario Bros. Movie, but those portrayals are very different than the cannon ones. My guess would be that Mario and Luigi would continue to float in a weird space where they can speak, and perhaps often do, but contribute very little to any full blown conversation due to how their speech patterns are often handled in voiced dialogue. If they did end up giving them full dialogue, it would blow up on the internet with people being surprised at the choice, and potentially finding it a little uncanny.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You make good points to why this would take a lot of work but I still don’t see it as impossible. Many RPGs have more characters than Smash if you include all the NPCs with voiced dialogue and they manage somehow. I don’t know the specifics of how DBZ Budokai characters interact but they have over 100 more characters than Ultimate. Maybe the issue is that Smash is localized in more languages than these games but I don’t think it’s an impossible feat. Even with a story with spoken dialogue, it would almost definitely be much less than pretty much any modern RPG.
It is. Smash is released everywhere and deals with a lot more language barriers and writings. In fact, this is what makes Trophies no longer possible due to tons of languages with their own rewritings. Take 1,000 trophies, and put it into over 5 languages? That's a lot of work.

This is why cutscenes just plain aren't doable alone with subtitles. Voices are absolutely very costly either way. Also, to be fair, DBZ has a lot of reused voice actors, and many characters don't really sound different. The chances of massively recycled lines(I don't know the entire details either) matter a lot. Besides that, many are just subtitles too. And sometimes we just have grunts for certain things(but it's DBZ. What'd you expect?). In fact, it's quite rare to see cutscenes dubbed among a massive amount of languages(though still a lot sometimes) unless it's a much smaller cast. Overall? This is not the budget Smash would be used on. It's nowhere near as important as a mode, and there's better time spent elsewhere. It's a cool idea, but it's still costly to a pretty big degree. We also should note how much they recycled the Guidances and Codec messages too. Clearly it wasn't in their budget to do a lot. Probably cause licensing for that much stuff combined(sure, they're pictures. But they're not cheap either) was already a bit too high. Now, Union stuff still plays a role in why, but it's overblown too. It's just a matter of budget allocations. And, well, cutscenes aren't that important. We still got them, but they're just a small amount. And I felt that was enough to portray the Adventure Mode just fine. The story was, honestly, very easy to understand. There were no hang-ups.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Small nitpick, but the Mario bros. are kind of a weird case here since they very commonly are given voice lines, but almost never speak in complete sentences, and have never been given dialogue in a conversation. In text only situations, Luigi is often given full dialogue, but Mario is always completely silent aside from player choice dialogue.

There is also the Super Mario Bros. Movie, but those portrayals are very different than the cannon ones. My guess would be that Mario and Luigi would continue to float in a weird space where they can speak, and perhaps often do, but contribute very little to any full blown conversation due to how their speech patterns are often handled in voiced dialogue. If they did end up giving them full dialogue, it would blow up on the internet with people being surprised at the choice, and potentially finding it a little uncanny.
The cutscenes in the SSE aren't long enough for worries about sentence length to be worth anything. Nobody's saying Mario should have a full on soliloquy, but having him be mute is bordering on out-of-character.

It's a distinction without a difference.

Ivander

Smash Legend
It's a union thing. Nintendo of America is infamously anti-union.
Weren't Laura Bailey, Anthony del Rio and Matthew Mercer part of a union when they voiced their characters in Smash 4? They also tried to get Ali Hillis for Palutena, but she was working on other stuff at the time, so she suggested the currant Smash VA to do Palutena or something like that. I think the reason why Smash Ultimate didn't work with Union VAs this time was because almost all of the budget was going to most of the other games' stuff(and who knows how much Nintendo had to chalk up for the 3rd Party characters).

Anyway, I thought they did try to get Steve Burton for Cloud, but because of some clause in his contract for Cloud, they couldn't or something. I mean, they managed to get Haley Joel Osment back for Sora and no way is he cheaper than Steve Burton.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The cutscenes in the SSE aren't long enough for worries about sentence length to be worth anything. Nobody's saying Mario should have a full on soliloquy, but having him be mute is bordering on out-of-character.

It's a distinction without a difference.
I wasn't trying to suggest that they be mute, but with cutscenes having full dialogue I'd imagine they'd be a bit longer, and avoid scenes where conversation is required a lot less. In such scenes where they're present, I feel like they'd have the bros be mostly quiet, with characters addressing them in ways that allow them to just say stuff like "yeah" in response.

Mainly, I just don't think they'd be leading or carrying any longer conversations. So like, I wouldn't put them in the mute category, but I wouldn't put them in the 100% unrestricted speech category either.

Anyway, I thought they did try to get Steve Burton for Cloud, but because of some clause in his contract for Cloud, they couldn't or something. I mean, they managed to get Haley Joel Osment back for Sora and no way is he cheaper than Steve Burton.
IIRC the rumor/theory was that they didn't go for Steve Burton because he was unionized, and his contract forbade anyone else from playing the character in English. If true, the contract thing probably isn't an issue anymore, as he did not reprise his role in Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I still miss George Newbern as Sephiroth. Tyler Hoechlin isn’t bad but he doesn’t quite hit the same level for me. Its always kind of a letdown when characters get new voice actors and actresses that I don’t care for as much in their performance.

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't trying to suggest that they be mute, but with cutscenes having full dialogue I'd imagine they'd be a bit longer, and avoid scenes where conversation is required a lot less. In such scenes where they're present, I feel like they'd have the bros be mostly quiet, with characters addressing them in ways that allow them to just say stuff like "yeah" in response.

Mainly, I just don't think they'd be leading or carrying any longer conversations. So like, I wouldn't put them in the mute category, but I wouldn't put them in the 100% unrestricted speech category either.
I feel another important separator is how often characters speak, rather than just if they can. In the case of the Bros, I'd handle them like:
  • Mario: Makes grunts and says stuff like "Let's-a Go!" but no full sentences
  • Luigi: Unlike Mario, occasionally speaks full sentences, but is less talkative than some other characters.
I'd prefer as many characters to speak as possible, but I feel like Mario being mime-like is too heavily associated with his character to ignore. You could argue the same for Luigi, but like you pointed out, he's been allowed to speak more than Mario. So I feel he could get some proper dialogue without it being jarring, but I'd still put a cap on how much he speaks.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This is more of an amusing thing than a writing challenge, but you'd have to deal with a bunch of funky language dynamics as well:
  • Everyone's multilingual, even understanding languages that aren't real like Animalese.
  • The animal characters and Pokémon normally wouldn't get dialogue at all, but Lucario and Mewtwo can translate for Pokémon, and Ness and Lucas should be able to understand all of them, which could cause some of them to be written like Groot.

Banjo & Kazooie would also be kinda weird to handle because they're never given spoken dialogue, but always given written dialogue, so it'd be weird if they spoke, but also weird if they didn't.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace

View attachment 395025
The thing is that most of these can speak, but they actually don't for 99% of their screen time in their own games.

Making them talkative is already a huge shift in portrayal (that's not even necessary in the context of a fighting game), but also they're mascots. In a crossover. They're not going to have anything interesting to say no matter what.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Aside from redesigning his kit, which I do think is needed, I wonder if they could potentially try doing something like Guilty Gear's Negative Penalty?
Funnily enough, Sakurai actually did consider adding a Negative Penalty like mechanic, which would have affected run speeds for those who were camping too much. It ultimately got scrapped because he thought it'd be difficult for the game to determine who would get hit by it.

I am curious to see if he'll ever come back to the idea. Would certainly make some characters just a tad less annoying to fight.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Luigi isn’t allowed to talk much in smash because if he was he wouldn’t stop spitting facts

In general, I wish Nintendo wasn't such a stingy old grandpa of a company, especially with how much more money they've raked in during the Switch era.
At the end of the day Nintendo as a legal entity is a company who’s entire purpose is to create value for their shareholders, creating video games is just a method towards reaching said purpose. They will never stop trying to raking in money just because they made a lot of money in the past, the goal for a company is to have continuous growth.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Funnily enough, Sakurai actually did consider adding a Negative Penalty like mechanic, which would have affected run speeds for those who were camping too much. It ultimately got scrapped because he thought it'd be difficult for the game to determine who would get hit by it.

I am curious to see if he'll ever come back to the idea. Would certainly make some characters just a tad less annoying to fight.
Honestly, I think a Negative Penalty system would only work in competitive 1v1s, as being punished for running to grab items shouldn't be a thing, and trying to decide who's camping when there are 3-8 players on the field and it's extremely difficult to actually avoid anything would be nigh on impossible.

You might could target players who stay a certain distance away from the nearest opponent, but that still doesn't really acount for people not wanting to be right next to the bomb or Final Smash going off in the middle of the stage.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I mean, hey, it works for Tekken. An English speaking character can perfectly understand Japanese, French, and Jaguar with little to no issues and no one second guesses anything.
The fact that Tekken has literally no language barrier and they never seem to address it will never not be funny to me.

I guess the Tower of Babel never collapsed in the Tekken universe.

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I think maybe a story mode with voiceless text bubbles could work in the context of Smash.
Yeah!
On the other hand... Have you ever considered the hypothesis they will give up the story mode at all and just add some bits of lore to the Classic Mode?

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
I mean, hey, it works for Tekken. An English speaking character can perfectly understand Japanese, French, and Jaguar with little to no issues and no one second guesses anything.
On the one hand, sure they'd probably just Tekken it and that would be funny. On the other hand, sticking with the language barrier and making certain characters unable to understand each other would also be pretty funny.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
IIRC the rumor/theory was that they didn't go for Steve Burton because he was unionized, and his contract forbade anyone else from playing the character in English. If true, the contract thing probably isn't an issue anymore, as he did not reprise his role in Final Fantasy 7 Remake.
The thing I heard was that something in his union contract conflicted with something from the contract he had with Square in regards with voicing Cloud and they couldn't work around it for Smash Bros.

At least it's not that supposed union issue where sometimes, voice actors from one union can't work alongside voice actors from another union or something along that line.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The thing I heard was that something in his union contract conflicted with something from the contract he had with Square in regards with voicing Cloud and they couldn't work around it for Smash Bros.

At least it's not that supposed union issue where sometimes, voice actors from one union can't work alongside voice actors from another union or something along that line.
They couldn't hide the fact that Steve Burton voiced Cloud if they did get him. No pen name, no empty space in the VA credits, it had to be listed as Steve Burton.

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Perhaps this is pedantic, but Sora's lines are reused all from Dream Drop Distance. At no point did Haley Joel Osment record lines for Smash specifically.

The real question is why they didn't reuse lines from Steve Burton's games, and I'd probably guess the answer is probably a mix of Nintendo of America's odd, anti-union practices and the shoestring budget Nintendo had to get Cloud in Smash.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Yeah!
On the other hand... Have you ever considered the hypothesis they will give up the story mode at all and just add some bits of lore to the Classic Mode?
I mean I personally feel like next game just won't have a story mode. I dunno if they'll make an Adventure Mode or anything to replace it either.

I just hope they return All-Star Mode to its former glory instead of Ultimate's glorified 100-Man Smash.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Which brings the question:
How would the DLC character change the All-Star Mode?
Option A: The All-Star mode turns longer to include all the DLC characters.
Option B: The number of opponents doesn't change, so every time someone is left out randomly.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Honestly, I think a Negative Penalty system would only work in competitive 1v1s, as being punished for running to grab items shouldn't be a thing, and trying to decide who's camping when there are 3-8 players on the field and it's extremely difficult to actually avoid anything would be nigh on impossible.

You might could target players who stay a certain distance away from the nearest opponent, but that still doesn't really acount for people not wanting to be right next to the bomb or Final Smash going off in the middle of the stage.
I probably should have specified, but this was indeed a suggestion for 1v1 specifically.

I don't think it'd be necessary or even feasible in free for alls.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Option B: The number of opponents doesn't change, so every time someone is left out randomly.
I mean in my mind I'd like All-Star to go back to Melee style where every round was a random opponent or group of opponents except for like the last one. So instead of grouping characters by series or by when their games came out like Brawl and Smash 4, it'd just be a group of random opponents every time to make it not get stale when you have to do it a bunch.

So basically DLC would just be added to the list and fought randomly just like everyone else.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
One word:
LINK

More Words:
That guy has like 15 Unique Versions with multiple Swords, Shields and Some Brand new Special moves from the champion era!
Yeah, and there's already 3 different playable versions of him. And if all 3 of them didn't use the same Bow/Bomb/Boomerang combo, he wouldn't need custom moves.

I'd prefer A.

All-Star mode doesn't feel right if everyone isn't in it.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord

From what I've heard, it was that in contract Steve Burton (at the time; obviously the Remake is different) was the only one allowed to voice Cloud in English....and he wasn't allowed to go without credit like fellow union actor Antony Del Rio did.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I’m so grateful that Antony Del Rio can continue to voice Pit in Smash, his delivery absolutely makes the character, but man I feel bad for him that he can’t even show up in the credits. I really wish Nintendo was better with this but it feels like a losing battle.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Perhaps this is pedantic, but Sora's lines are reused all from Dream Drop Distance. At no point did Haley Joel Osment record lines for Smash specifically.
I know there was Ludwig's voice actor who's voice lines were reused without giving dues/royalties/whatnot, but with how big Haley Joel Osment is in comparison, I heavily doubt they could have done the same with him. Regardless, companies should be paying royalties and whatnot to begin with.
From what I've heard, it was that in contract Steve Burton (at the time; obviously the Remake is different) was the only one allowed to voice Cloud in English....and he wasn't allowed to go without credit like fellow union actor Antony Del Rio did.
I could've sworn Antony was credited alongside Laura Bailey and Matthew Mercer in Smash 4. I know Laura went uncredited in Smash Ultimate, but she was definitely credited in Smash 4 and I could've sworn she was part of a union then.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I know there was Ludwig's voice actor who's voice lines were reused without giving dues/royalties/whatnot, but with how big Haley Joel Osment is in comparison, I heavily doubt they could have done the same with him. Regardless, companies should be paying royalties and whatnot to begin with.
They have to with movies. Sean Chiplock's once mentioned he gets paid every time Detective Pikachu airs on TV, and as a result, his two offscreen lines in that movie have been more profitable for him than his work in BotW.

Top Bottom