• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean, it's not impossible to say that it was in regards to Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom coming out, especially when the one emulator they took down a while ago was in response to how the owner of that emulator was actively giving out Switch games, including Tears of the Kingdom, to download for a price.
I’m being half-serious.

But if it does happen in the next few months, then I totally called it. :secretkpop:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Future game release dates conflicting with announcements is something I don't think matters that much.

Back in 2016, The Switch was revealed the same day as Mario Party Island Tour (In Japan), Same month as Color Splash and then also Pokemon Sun and Moon were already announced for the 3DS. (although Nintendo was in a very very different position then so this is a bad example.)

and aside from any precedent, I'd be shocked if Nintendo didn't coordinate these things internally. so any rumors that EOW pushed back the Switch 2 announcement are probably bogus.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yeah, I kinda miss the concept of characters coming to life from toys and figures. I thought it looked pretty cool when Mario came to life from his Trophy in the intro from Melee:

Going back to this ive always kinda headcanoned that the reason Final fantasy barely had content in 4 is that the person who owns all these toys couldnt afford Final fantasy merch, because the action figures Square makes of these characters are always so expensive compared to figures of other characters.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
Trophies stopped being fun around Smash 4. Most of them (understandably) only came from recent games with assets to be ripped, you totally lost the deep cut/surprise factor that you had in Melee; and then they also became too many with less single player modes to give you unique challenges to unlock them.
Spirits were just way more fun to collect.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Question: Why are you guys assuming there will be echoes again in the next Smash Bros.?
Why, of all the gimmicks that have passed through Super Smash Bros., should be a returning one?
Because it's the easiest, cheapest one to implement.

Who actually wants Smash Ultimate 2/DX, which means no cuts but not much room for base newcomers?
1728276188625.png

That said, your premise is flawed. Ultimate had limited base newcomers due to the developmental requirements of implementing EiH.

If you're making Ultimate Deluxe, all of that work is already DONE. Which means pretty much all of Deluxe's resources would go to making more newcomers.

But an Ultimate DX would be probably be easier to make. The game is technically already done, you just gotta add on to it.
Exactly.

It'd be like saying the Switch 2 should release Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Deluxe lol
I'd buy it. We're one more Booster Course Pass from having 'Everycourse is Here!'

That was also because Mario Kart Tour was an active product and had extra assets they could borrow from, making it much much easier. Smash doesn't have this option. It's not remotely the same situation.
It's not exactly the same situation. It is mostly the same situation.

What post smash 64 character would you want to see in the smash 64 art style/model?
None? I loathe the N64/PS1 aesthetic. It's the only console generation that looks worse than the one the preceded it.

This also hurt improved a lot of Final Smashes too, which ended up a lot of copy-paste cinematic supers.
Fixed.

Hey, I have a question for you all: If your most wanted character got in and another character from the same series came in alongside them, or of said other character got in over your most wanted (think Min Min over Spring Man) but was from the same series; either way, who would you want it to be and why?
I'll be honest...I don't want anyone else from Ninja Gaiden besides Ryu Hayabusa.

I'll go with one of my other MWs though. If I got Arthur from Ghosts n' Goblins, I'd also want Firebrand.

Same with Spirits: They are just stickers, like in Brawl, but without white borders.
Except for, ya know, how Spirits have a ton of actual gameplay mechanic that Trophies and Stickers never did.

The effort was invested. It was just invested in gameplay instead of art.

I mean, Spirits themselves have a very "Drawn to Life" aesthetic to them, which is certainly not an uncommon theme.
Spirits don't have a unified aesthetic. They're almost all preexisting art assets drawn from countless different sources.

I personally never cared for the whole "toys coming to life" thing" tbh. It's a cute idea and I like it as a part of the intros for 64 and Melee, but that's kind of as far as I want to see them take it.
Same. I prefer to think of Smash as "these characters are interacting with each other in a multiverse" rather than "this is all in some kid's imagination".

How would you feel if these three in the mod Smash Remix got into actual Smash?
Marina - Meh.
Conker - Meh.
Goemon - Hell yeah!

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
View attachment 395003

That said, your premise is flawed. Ultimate had limited base newcomers due to the developmental requirements of implementing EiH.

If you're making Ultimate Deluxe, all of that work is already DONE. Which means pretty much all of Deluxe's resources would go to making more newcomers.
OK, but if the Switch 2 is gonna be backwards compatible, then what's the point? Why make a port of the same game with just a few additions when you could just play said game on the aforementioned console? If the series keeps going on without making any cuts, it's just gonna grow stagnant and stale. Plus, it'd be kind of a waste of resources, especially if characters who need reworks (like Ganondorf) keep their old movesets over and over again.

Just make a new game so that certain characters can have their movesets given a fresh coat of paint and we may be able to have more room for newcomers.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'd rather a new game than an iterative version of Ult. The game is gonna be over 6 years old soon and I did everything I could practically do with it and sank over a thousand hours on it. If the next release is just gonna be the same game I played for years with just more newcomers then that's gonna be the biggest pass of my life.

I want a new adventure mode, new bosses, new songs, new EVERYTHING. A remaster or a port ain't gonna be as exciting as a new game with a new direction.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
OK, but if the Switch 2 is gonna be backwards compatible, then what's the point?
Up-res it a bit. Redo the netcode.

If the series keeps going on without making any cuts, it's just gonna grow stagnant and stale.
looks at League of Legends

Apparently not.

New characters keeps a game from growing stale.

If the next release is just gonna be the same game I played for years with just more newcomers then that's gonna be the biggest pass of my life.
I couldn't give them my money fast enough.

I think it's a bit disingenous to not assume one of the main points of a Super Ultimate Turbo would be new modes. I'd honestly think it would be even higher priority than new characters for such a version.
I dunno about THAT. But certainly new modes would be on the table.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
looks at League of Legends

Apparently not.

New characters keeps a game from growing stale.
Yeah, but League of Legends is a MOBA (multiplayer online battle arena) game, which is a subgenre of strategy games that's mainly for online multiplayer where two players face off against each other on a predetermined stage, and it's always gonna keep getting new characters and other new features as long as it's still in production and the servers are still online, because it's an online game.

Super Smash Bros. is a 2.5D platform-fighter series, not a top-down strategy series. They can't just keep adding characters without cutting anyone. That just doesn't seem realistic or reasonable.

And besides, while both games are played competitively (especially for eSports), they're in two entirely different leagues.

Pun intended.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
How would you feel if these three in the mod Smash Remix got into actual Smash?
View attachment 394998
They’d all be fine choices in a vacuum but there are several characters from each of their companies that I’d rather have first. I’ve never really been a big fan of the crude humor in Conker and it’s my least favorite RARE IP. The game itself was fun for the short time I played it though. I used to love Legend of the Mystical Ninja on the SNES so Goemon would be fun. I’d rather see Bill Rizer, Bomberman, and Alucard first but he’d be a great choice after them. I also played Mischief Makers on the N64 and enjoyed it. Marina would be a cool surprise character but Square-Enix probably has the highest number of my most wanted characters after RARE so there’s a lot of competition.

As far as Ultimate Deluxe goes, I agree it’s kind of pointless to rerelease the game if Switch 2 is Backwards compatible. The game would have to have a substantial amount of new content, at least comparable to what Ultimate itself got at launch to justify the cost. If we get around 5 new characters and a fun Subspace Emissary style adventure mode, that’s all I’d need. I don’t need huge overhauls to the gameplay or existing characters. A few like Ganondorf would be nice but it’s not really mandatory. If they were just going to package all the existing DLC and sell it again with nothing else, I’d rather they just keep adding to the game we already have so I can save $70.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'd rather a new game than an iterative version of Ult. The game is gonna be over 6 years old soon and I did everything I could practically do with it and sank over a thousand hours on it. If the next release is just gonna be the same game I played for years with just more newcomers then that's gonna be the biggest pass of my life.

I want a new adventure mode, new bosses, new songs, new EVERYTHING. A remaster or a port ain't gonna be as exciting as a new game with a new direction.
Especially when the console it's releasing for can already play Ultimate as is.

PersonAngelo53

Smash Rookie
I think I have an idea how to get the best of both worlds for a new smash game being just a deluxe or a whole new game.

So basically next smash game we get between 25 or 35 characters cuts. We get a few character's reworks and a decent amount of newcomers. But when the dlc cycle comes we get back to smash 4 dlc ways with we getting a combination of new characters and returning fighters from the characters that where cut. And Sakurai mentions how the dlc cycle is planned to go for a way longer time than before and that they are planning for all or most of the returning characters to come back by dlc at some point. This way we get a fully new smash game and we get most if not all the cut characters back at some point and everyone is happy now right?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think I have an idea how to get the best of both worlds for a new smash game being just a deluxe or a whole new game.

So basically next smash game we get between 25 or 35 characters cuts. We get a few character's reworks and a decent amount of newcomers. But when the dlc cycle comes we get back to smash 4 dlc ways with we getting a combination of new characters and returning fighters from the characters that where cut. And Sakurai mentions how the dlc cycle is planned to go for a way longer time than before and that they are planning for all or most of the returning characters to come back by dlc at some point. This way we get a fully new smash game and we get most if not all the cut characters back at some point and everyone is happy now right?
I’d be cool with that. As long as I can still have some hope for exciting new characters, I don’t mind waiting for some of my favorite existing characters to return through DLC.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think it's a bit disingenous to not assume one of the main points of a Super Ultimate Turbo would be new modes. I'd honestly think it would be even higher priority than new characters for such a version.
MK8 Deluxe didn't have new modes, why would SSBU Deluxe?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well it technically did since the previous version's Battle Mode sucked so much it may as well have not existed. It also added new modes to Battle Mode.
Well still, MK8 Deluxe wasn't really as "deluxe" as SSBUDX supporters want such a game to be until a certain expansion came out.

That's pretty much the norm for a lot of remasters/re-releases/etc. They can have new content, but it's not substantial enough for people who paid $60 for the game already to want to pay $60 again.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What I’d ideally want to see is a brand new game that just uses Ultimate as a starting point and builds onto it from there. So in a way, it’s kind of a Deluxe edition but it would have as much new content as Ultimate itself had compared to Smash 4 at least. I know that requires a lot more work and it may not be entirely realistic to expect but I don’t think it’s impossible.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well still, MK8 Deluxe wasn't really as "deluxe" as SSBUDX supporters want such a game to be until a certain expansion came out.

That's pretty much the norm for a lot of remasters/re-releases/etc. They can have new content, but it's not substantial enough for people who paid $60 for the game already to want to pay $60 again.
Yeah. There's also the matter that the Wii U was a massive flop, unlike the Switch, so for many people MK8 Deluxe was the first time they've ever played Mario Kart 8 at all. This won't be the case for Smash Ultimate due to just how successful the Switch was, so for that reason I'm not expecting many Switch to Switch 2 ports.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
New Item Idea: Monster Spawner

This item is based off the Crate, making it a heavy item that can be destroyed by hitting it. It does not break on contact with the ground. Instead, it picks a random mob type, and begins to spawn it once thrown. These mobs include:
  • Skeleton: Skeletons meander around, stopping at ledges. If a player draws near, it shoots them with their bow and arrows. They aren't super threatening due to how long it takes them to aim. 2 can be spawned at a time.
  • Blaze: Fire elemental thingies that meander around, stopping at grabbable ledges. They have a slow fall speed when dropping down. When a player draws near, it fires three little fireballs at them. 3 can be spawned at a time.
  • Magma Cube: Burning cubes of pain that chase players that draw near, dealing contact damage if they touch them. They come in small, medium, and large variants. The larger the Magma Cube, the more health they have, and upon death, they split into 2-4 smaller Magma Cubes, with the smallest ones simply dying. 2 large, 4 medium, and 8 small Magma Cubes can appear at a time, and for the purposes of spawning from the Monster Spawner, 2 mediums are counted as 1 large, and 2 smalls are counted as 1 medium. So for example if there's 1 large, 2 medium, and 4 smalls, it won't spawn any more Magma Cubes.
  • Silverfish: Tiny little bug thingies that run along the ground, stopping at grabbable ledges. If left alone for a bit, they dig into the ground, resurfacing when players draw near. Aside from when they burrow, they're always on the move at a decent clip, and deal contact damage. When hit, all existing Silverfish that can pathfind to their attacker will charge at them until they are all defeated. They have really low health, meaning that high damage characters tend to kill them in one hit. 5 can be spawned at a time.
  • Pig: Meanders around, running away from players that hit them without killing them. They drop Food upon death. 3 can be spawned at a time. As Pig Spawners are a Creative Mode only thing, the chance of it selecting is extremely rare, acting more of an easter egg than a mechanic.
After a while of spawning mobs, the Monster Spawner will despawn if it hasn't been broken yet. While it's spawning mobs, it's hitbox is similar to Steve's blocks in that it acts as destructible terrain. I didn't list it as being able to summon Zombies, Spiders, or Cave Spiders since they would need to be given attack animations, and I couldn't picture them getting those with the animation restrictions. They do have attack animations in Minecraft Dungeons, so perhaps they could use them, but it would cause them to stand out from the other Minecraft mobs, so I'm a bit hesitant to do say for certain they would do that.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Assuming the Switch 2 is backwards compatible, do you think that also applies to digital games? I just bought a ton of Switch games, both physical and digital, that I’m sure I won’t have time to get around to most of the before Switch 2 comes out. I’m hoping I can play those games on the next console.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Assuming the Switch 2 is backwards compatible, do you think that also applies to digital games? I just bought a ton of Switch games, both physical and digital, that I’m sure I won’t have time to get around to most of the before Switch 2 comes out. I’m hoping I can play those games on the next console.
Yes but also no.

Like, you could play those games on the new system, but there would be no official support for moving digital games to the next console so you'd have to buy them again.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Yes but also no.

Like, you could play those games on the new system, but there would be no official support for moving digital games to the next console so you'd have to buy them again.
Well, unless the next console, by some miracle, allowed you to transfer your save data from the Switch.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yes but also no.

That’s too bad. I guess I’ll have to keep my original Switch hooked up too at least until I complete the games. Didn’t they offer some kind of discount between the Wii and Wii U so if you already owned the game on the Wii, you could get it much cheaper on the Wii U? Maybe I’m just remembering wrong. I guess that’s one reason to buy physical when you get the chance.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well, unless the next console, by some miracle, allowed you to transfer your save data from the Switch.
I'd imagine they'd have SD card support, so in theory you'd be able to do it that way unless they specifically blocked it off, and that is something that had come to mind, but I wouldn't consider that official support for the feature since it's not intuitive to do, and I don't know if the save data would contain the game itself either.

Ideally they'd have some sort of infrared communication system that would allow you to essentially AirDrop your digital games and save data to your new console, but I highly doubt they'd do something like that because Nintendo seems to like falling just short of being pro-consumer.

Although...They do have cloud saves, so maybe compatible games could allow you to transfer data that way? Still not better than my suggestion since as far as I know you have to pay to use that feature, but it would be better than the weird SD card technicality or just straight up nothing.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I definitly think the next smash should keep most characters!
Maybe cut young link, Pichu, zero suit samus and a couple of others!
But keep all the important character archetypes!

But i do think a couple of characters need to be improved like the remaining two Links, Meta Knight, a lot of the first 12 etc.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
BTW I've recently watched some fnaf videos (weird considering i never played any of the games)
But that made me think which FNAF character should be added into smash?

I guess it would have to be either a freddy or springtrap variant?

Usually normal freddy gets brought up the most although i think toy freddy and Glamrock freddy would be cool too!

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
There’s precedent for this, as you could transfer DSiWare games to a 3DS and you could transfer WiiWare games to a Wii U.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think I’m too old for FNAF to appeal to me specifically but a horror character in general could be fun. I’d be okay with Freddy himself too since I know he’s really popular with kids today, kind of like Steve and Minecraft. Not a huge fan of the visual design of that game but he could still be a fun character to play. I’d be interested to see how they made it work.

Top Bottom