• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll take not of that for the next time.
View attachment 394693
Though I'd be still careful using the term "woke" in this era, since I might stumble on one of those people.
Plus I'm noticing even the videogame industry being dangerously affected by that trend, questioning myself what will be the effects on the next Super Smash Bros.
Oh.

I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Oof

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ya'know, one thing that I didn't think of when making my mock roster was Lucina. I always ignore Echo Fighters 'till the end, so I effectively forgot I was adding her until I added all the Echo Fighters. This matters because I was stuck deciding which two Fire Emblem veterans to bring back, and eventually ended up cutting Ike because I needed a modern Fire Emblem rep, but with Lucina around the correct answer was actually to cut Robin instead. That way we'd still have characters from the Shadow Dragon duology, the Telius duology, and Awakening instead of trying to replace Ike with Lyn and having two Awakening characters.

If I were to revise it, that would be the first change. I'd rethink Lyn's addition too since she'd no longer be 200% necessary for Fire Emblem's part of the roster to function, but I do think that she still has a pretty decent shot so I might keep her anyway.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Though I'd be still careful using the term "woke" in this era, since I might stumble on one of those people.
Plus I'm noticing even the videogame industry being dangerously affected by that trend, questioning myself what will be the effects on the next Super Smash Bros
The Smash Bros community after Sakurai programs DEI chins on all female characters:

1727443841412.jpeg

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What the heck is a DEI chin or shouldn’t I ask?
It's perfectly normal chins that real women would have.

A subset of people think those chins are too masculine. They aren't masculine, they're just being very weird. Like Alloy from Horizon is apparently "too masculine" because of her chin.

I once showed my 70 year old mother some of those characters. She doesn't play games at all. She said they were gorgeous. She said Alloy looked like a supermodel and was shocked people said she was ugly.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's perfectly normal chins that real women would have.

A subset of people think those chins are too masculine. They aren't masculine, they're just being very weird. Like Alloy from Horizon is apparently "too masculine" because of her chin.

I once showed my 70 year old mother some of those characters. She doesn't play games at all. She said they were gorgeous. She said Alloy looked like a supermodel and was shocked people said she was ugly.
Oh yeah, I never understood the complaints about that. Two of favorite female wrestlers, Becky Lynch and Rhea Ripley, have a wide jaws and I think they’re among the most attractive wrestlers on the roster. It doesn’t make sense how so many think people need to look exactly the same to be considered attractive. Not that that’s the most important thing anyways. It seems like a lot of people go out of their way to find something to get upset about.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
DEI = diversity, equity, and inclusion, for the record.

It's something that's been weaponzed by anti-SJW types, as seen in that Lara Croft tweet posted above.
Yeah, I knew what DEI stood for but I don’t understand how that has anything to do with having a wide jaw. I usually see DEI being used as a dog whistle by racists as a derogatory term for minorities by claiming they aren’t qualified otherwise. It’s frustrating how hateful people can be these days. I really do wish we could find a way to just accept everyone for who they are and not attack others every chance they get. I think most of the blame goes to media corporations and influencers that profit on outrage to drive engagement.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
It doesn't help that the most "infamous" image of her that people use as "evidence" was supposedly modified, not unlike the famous images of Lola Bunny and Aunt Cass from Big Hero 6.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
View attachment 394696

Isn’t it obvious? It’s so obvious! I genuinely don’t know.
I feel like I'm having a "corporate wants you to tell the difference between these two pictures" moment...

But yeah, I recently saw a clip of a dude complaining about how Ghost of Yotei has you playing as a girl, and I felt like I lost a few years of my life seeing that reaction. I hate those types of people.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I feel like I'm having a "corporate wants you to tell the difference between these two pictures" moment...

But yeah, I recently saw a clip of a dude complaining about how Ghost of Yotei has you playing as a girl, and I felt like I lost a few years of my life seeing that reaction. I hate those types of people.
Me too. Another example was the movie Prey. I thought it was awesome and one of the best Predator movies ever. I thought the choice of a Native American female lead was a refreshing change of pace and was great. As expected, tons of internet weirdos threw a fit that they cast a female main protagonist.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I recently started playing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and oh my goodness this game's amazing. The writing is great, and they finally made the paper visuals compelling to me. Like, it's not just a world made out of cardboard and construction paper, it's a world that uses the paper aesthetic to depict a real world.

Or maybe that was always how it was and I just didn't care for the world the other two games were presenting...

Regardless, I love the extra layering that went into each character's models. It adds so much depth in a really charming way.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I recently started playing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and oh my goodness this game's amazing. The writing is great, and they finally made the paper visuals compelling to me. Like, it's not just a world made out of cardboard and construction paper, it's a world that uses the paper aesthetic to depict a real world.

Or maybe that was always how it was and I just didn't care for the world the other two games were presenting...

Regardless, I love the extra layering that went into each character's models. It adds so much depth in a really charming way.
Yeah, I watched my brother play that on the GameCube and it looked like a lot of fun. I played about a fourth of the game myself. The writing is great and the characters are enjoyable. I kind of want to buy the remakes of it and SMRPG but it’s hard to justify that much money for a game I’ve either already beaten myself or watched my brother beat.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, I watched my brother play that on the GameCube and it looked like a lot of fun. I played about a fourth of the game myself. The writing is great and the characters are enjoyable. I kind of want to buy the remakes of it and SMRPG but it’s hard to justify that much money for a game I’ve either already beaten myself or watched my brother beat.
Heh, my copy is borrowed from my cousin, and I kind of want to buy one anyway because I want more games like it.

Like seriously, I never thought Paper Mario of all things would be this darn pretty.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
I thought the DEI was the police branch hunting Heisenberg.

Yeah the first two Paper Marios were like that. Then they decided to make the worlds paper even in-story, which I've never really liked all that much.
TTYD works so well as an adventure story in part also because you believe in the setting, even though everything is paper-like.
Then of course the battle system is also amazing and the field abilities make exploration much more involved than a normal RPG, it's almost like a Zelda game.
It's been a pleasure replaying TTYD after all this time.

I'm really looking forward to Mario & Luigi Brothership now...

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So... What would it take for you to consider these five franchises a lock for the next game?

Ring Fit Adventure
Astral Chain
Famicom Detective Club
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
I'm probably more familiar with Famicom Detective Club especially with their latest game in which I think there is a possibility that the franchise could be a lock for the next Smash.

Top Bottom