• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Probably Super Smash Bros. since the DK team is working on Metroid...

...Which also probably means we won't be getting anything from whatever new game turns up.
I’d personally love to see Playtonic be given a chance to work on a DK game if Retro is busy. Several members of the original RARE team that worked on the SNES games are there and it would be interesting to see what they come up with. The first Yooka-Laylee has some issues but the Impossible Lair has been great from what I’ve played. Whether they actually have any interest in working on the franchise again is another question though. Not sure what they’ve been up to the last few years.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think in broad strokes what we'll be seeing next year is:
  • Metroid Prime 4 (Confirmed)
  • Pokémon Legends Z-A (Confirmed)
  • Mario Kart 10
  • New 3D Mario
  • Jazzed up Tech Demo
Kirby and Animal Crossing could also have launch year titles, but I'm not quite as confident in that. The Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade Chronicles will appear a few years out since their games take a while to make, and they all just came out with something. Splatoon 4 probably just started development, and ARMS 2 won't start development until next year at the earliest, so I doubt we'll be seeing either for a good while.

EDIT: WarioWare tends to have a lot of radio silence and then machine gun a bunch of games out so I have no idea when we'll see it on the new console, and Yoshi gets games seemingly at random so I don't know when we'll see a game from that series either. Everything else is probably a crapshoot on whether they'll make an appearance on the console at all.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Fully agree. Hence I speak out wherever I can, but we gotta be remindful of staying respectful. It started to become an "insult" when people started to think their "non prejudice" mindset made them superior over others. Which is ironic in a way, but also sad. I've seen this happening in many communities before, the very same ego mindedness they accuse "the other" of is what drives them. It's ironic how these polarities play out sometimes, accusing each other of the exact same behavior.

Just stand with truth, respect and love and you'll probably be heard. And if not, doesn't matter, you're in the wrong crowd then anyway. Move on with grace.

Anyway, wondering when we get a new Smash or Donkey Kong. Wonder which we might get first.
I misread that and thought you were suggesting a Donkey Kong Wonder game

Its cute that Famicom Detective Club gets a small appearance here
two small appearances

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
View attachment 394676
That was funny the first 9000 times. Now it's just annoying as SJW Karen.
absolutely love the fact you complain about stale humor using the rdj eyeroll picture. 10/10 no notes

• Mario Kart 10
  • New 3D Mario
  • Jazzed up Tech Demo
Kirby and Animal Crossing could also have launch year titles, but I'm not quite as confident in that. The Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade Chronicles will appear a few years out since their games take a while to make, and they all just came out with something. Splatoon 4 probably just started development, and ARMS 2 won't start development until next year at the earliest, so I doubt we'll be seeing either for a good while.

EDIT: WarioWare tends to have a lot of radio silence and then machine gun a bunch of games out so I have no idea when we'll see it on the new console, and Yoshi gets games seemingly at random so I don't know when we'll see a game from that series either. Everything else is probably a crapshoot on whether they'll make an appearance on the console at all.
Fire Emblem could potentially roll up with a remake of an older game, since a remake of the fourth game in the series has been rumoured for a while. Whether that’s a final send-off to the Switch or a launch game for the new system remains to be seen though.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Sort of on-topic, how extensive do you think the Switch's cross-gen period will be for first-party releases? The jump from the Switch to the Switch 2 is looking to be pretty big, bigger than a PS4 to PS5 style jump, but at the same time the Switch has such a massive install base to still capitalise on.
I think if the Switch 2 is backwards compatible, then there won’t really be any need for cross-generation releases.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
Sort of on-topic, how extensive do you think the Switch's cross-gen period will be for first-party releases? The jump from the Switch to the Switch 2 is looking to be pretty big, bigger than a PS4 to PS5 style jump, but at the same time the Switch has such a massive install base to still capitalise on.
I imagine Pokémon Legends Z-A could release either at the beginning of 2025, or the end of 2025. It’ll likely be Switch exclusive in that regard. Also Pokémon has always taken longer to jump ship to a new console.

I don’t imagine it will be particularly extensive in that regard. Maybe we get a few remakes to send off the Switch, but that’s about it, I reckon.

I’m more interested in wondering with how powerful the Switch 2 will be, that it would keep developers developing games for the PS4 out of convenience, with it being a repeat of many Wii games also releasing on the PS2.
So... What would it take for you to consider these five franchises a lock for the next game?

Ring Fit Adventure
Astral Chain
Famicom Detective Club
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
Ring Fit feels pretty likely. As does Astral Chain, but I’m more certain on Ring Fit.

FDC might get screwed over by the ESRB if it does affect Smash inclusions. We could end up seeing all Smiling Man content not reference the game’s title, and just be a generic ‘Famicom Detective Club’ stage or music.

Golden Sun would make some sense as a nostalgia pick nowadays. Advance Wars tanking has made me less confident it will join Smash, and could lend Golden Sun being a better legacy choice.

It just shows that there aren’t many big new series that have to be included next time around. Prepare for a character choice along the lines of Meta Knight to kick off the next game.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
So... What would it take for you to consider these five franchises a lock for the next game?

Ring Fit Adventure
Astral Chain
Famicom Detective Club
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
Ring Fit is the only one I'm fully confident in saying will get a fighter, purely because it sold over 15 million copies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Ring Fit Adventure
Astral Chain
Famicom Detective Club
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
I think that that's generally my descending order of likelihood for them, with maybe FDC and Astral Chain swapping spots.

I think all of them have at least a reasonable shot of showing up, except for Advance Wars. The fact that the remake didn't get a JP release means that, in my eyes, the needle straight up hasn't moved.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Ring Fit Adventure
Astral Chain
Famicom Detective Club
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
I don’t consider anything a lock. I feel like it’s a mistake to make such definitive predictions with 100% certainty. That said, I feel like Ring Fit might have the best chance here since it’s a new IP that sold a ton. I’d personally be pretty excited for Astral Chain and Golden Sun of these.

Last edited:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I think if the Switch 2 is backwards compatible, then there won’t really be any need for cross-generation releases.
This isn't what's meant by cross-gen releases, it means games that aren't exclusive to the Switch 2 and can be played on a normal Switch as well. You're seeing a lot of this with the PS5 and Series X, it's only in the past year or so that proper next-gen only games have started coming out more.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I misread that and thought you were suggesting a Donkey Kong Wonder game
I didn't say that, but that's fully welcome! Mario Wonder give me crazy DKC vibes, and I wish this exact team would handle a DK game. Of any sort.

I’d personally love to see Playtonic be given a chance to work on a DK game if Retro is busy. Several members of the original RARE team that worked on the SNES games are there and it would be interesting to see what they come up with. The first Yooka-Laylee has some issues but the Impossible Lair has been great from what I’ve played. Whether they actually have any interest in working on the franchise again is another question though. Not sure what they’ve been up to the last few years.
YES!

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So i decided to make a Folder with stuff for my own in depth smash concept!
Im reviving the title Smash Dawn for that (although i didnt figure out how to put the title on the text!
Currently i only have a boxart! I might add another character or two MAYBE!
1727367024874.png

Basically i wont put too much effort into drawing because even my best isnt ideal!
Anyways Link is small because Duh. I wanted a Retro, Third Party and indie rep!
Bowser jr just fits on the box better! Tom nook was here because a lot of people arround me reeeeaaaly love animal crossing! I dont think i have to explain the rest? I guess ill put an FE Character on there as soon as i figure out the roster!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
  • Mario Kart 10
  • New 3D Mario
  • Jazzed up Tech Demo

Eh, by 2025 it'll have been three years since the last full Kirby game, and two years since the souped-up RtDL remake. For Fire Emblem, it will also have been two years since Engage, neatly lining up with the usual 2-year release cycle, which has only been interrupted since Fates-to-Echoes by COVID. Xenoblade also seems to get something new every two-to-three years, with some DLC to tie us over, so I could easily see a new Xeno game dropped as well.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
For Fire Emblem, it will also have been two years since Engage, neatly lining up with the usual 2-year release cycle, which has only been interrupted since Fates-to-Echoes by COVID.
Speaking of, 2025 is the 35th anniversary for the series as a whole. I think that'd be the opportune moment for the rumored remake to release.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
Eh, by 2025 it'll have been three years since the last full Kirby game, and two years since the souped-up RtDL remake. For Fire Emblem, it will also have been two years since Engage, neatly lining up with the usual 2-year release cycle, which has only been interrupted since Fates-to-Echoes by COVID. Xenoblade also seems to get something new every two-to-three years, with some DLC to tie us over, so I could easily see a new Xeno game dropped as well.
Eh…

MonolithSoft has been rumoured to be developing a new IP, as well as the chance we get an XCXDE or even an XC2DE.

I don’t think we’re seeing XC4 until 2027-2028.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Eh…

MonolithSoft has been rumoured to be developing a new IP, as well as the chance we get an XCXDE or even an XC2DE.

I’m really interested to see what the new Monolith Soft IP is. I think there were rumors years ago that it was going to be closer to traditional medieval fantasy but I’m not sure what happened to that. I love the Xenoblade games but the story can get a bit convoluted and at times goes over my head. I’d love to see something with more of a straightforward narrative.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Eh…

Please let XCXDE be real, I really want to see more of that world.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Eh…

I still think they should be the ones to try a Golden Sun remake. Seems like they'd be a good fit for it, especially since Camelot is busy with Mario Golf/Tennis.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Ring Fit Adventure
Astral Chain
Famicom Detective Club
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
Aside from the whole “nothing’s a lock“-spiel, a sequel would help for Ring Fit and Astral Chain at least. Anything from the Golden Sun IP that doesn’t stem from the DS era might also help a little.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

Ring Fit Adventure
Astral Chain
Famicom Detective Club
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
The only one here that I feel like miiiight be is Ring Fit? Mostly just because it's sold like 15 million units at this point and the future for it feels pretty secure because of that? It's like the number 11 highest selling Switch game. Sales don't mean everything obviously but like I could see Nintendo pushing for that, and I'm pretty sure it'll get a follow-up on Switch 2 at some point.

Astral Chain I think is kinda dependent on its future, but it is wholly first party now, so it has a better shot than it did previously, Famicom Detective Club depends on if Sakurai can make a moveset for a character (though I'm pretty certain on Emio getting some kind of collectible), and Golden Sun is a series I hope gets a shot through the Ballot; the boost Golden Sun got in Ultimate (Mii Costume, Spirits, Isaac coming back with more moves) makes me hope Isaac is on the team's radar like how K. Rool and Isabelle got Mii Costumes in 4 and then got added to Ultimate.

Advance Wars not getting a release in Japan and being maybe the most unfortunate series of all time release-wise with that huge delay because of the Russia/Ukraine issue honestly kinda kneecaps it I think. I don't expect much out of it except for MAYBE bringing back Infantry and Tanks to the Assist Trophy roster and some collectibles.

SPEN18

Smash Champion

Ring Fit Adventure
Astral Chain
Famicom Detective Club
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
Most likely
Ring Fit
Golden Sun
FDC
Astral Chain
Advance Wars
Least likely

Ring Fit just did so well and has a lot to work with to set it apart as an RPG/exergame hybrid. Kinda self-explanatory that it is pretty likely.
I've said it before but I think Astral Chain is overestimated by the community. The timing isn't likely to be optimal for it, and it doesn't have the sales that we can be confident in to overcome that, unlike Ring Fit or even arguably something like ARMS. Over the years many franchises with similar performance and situation have been passed over. One of those being GS, but GS has its huge popularity as a massive X-factor over anyone else on this list.
FDC and AW, despite their recent revivals, I think are still too small to be considered especially likely. Though FDC has an actual new game coming, is actually present in JP, and has an additional path as an NES throwback sort of pick. I love AW but it really needs a new game and JP release for me to be confident in it.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Honestly I'm just happy Ashley Robins is there. Play Another Code Recollection if you haven't!
As a nice aside, Taisuke Kanasaki, the character designer for Another Code and Hotel Dusk, has responded to Ashley Robbins' inclusion:

Translation: I can't think of a greater honor than being able to display my character alongside other incredibly famous characters. 🥹

Noipoi

Howdy!

Ring Fit Adventure
Astral Chain
Famicom Detective Club
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
Ring Fit, Astral Chain: Timing. It depends on if Nintendo considers these franchises relevant enough to serve as modern stars. With Astral Chain specifically, this could just be my perspective, but I do feel like the moment has come and gone. I could be wrong though.

Golden Sun, Advance Wars: If Sakurai feels like throwing a bone to the oldheads who’ve been holding out for a long time. And that depends on how fanservice-y this next game gets. Advance Wars did have its remake recently, so that gives it a bit of a boost.

Famicom Detective Club: This is an example of a classic franchise that’s had more modern successes and also has had a character considered fit Smash before. So I think it comes down to if Sakurai can ever figure out a moveset.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Ring Fit Adventure
Astral Chain
Famicom Detective Club
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
My thoughts are:
  • As close to a lock as you get. If it gets a sequel as a launch title, I'd be shocked if it didn't get a character.
  • Not very likely. Perhaps if it gets a sequel, but even then it's kinda shakey. If it doesn't get a character and does get a sequel, I would be looking at it for DLC though.
  • Maybe if it did really well Ayumi could get in as DLC.
  • Decent possibility, but not a lock.
  • Nope

Oh yeah, and I forgot about Ring Fit Adventure with my predictions, that's definitely a strong possibility for a launch title assuming we're getting a Switch 2 and not something entirely different.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
Overall unlikely:
Advance Wars: the ship has sailed.
FDC: I feel like people overestimate its chances a lot just because of a very old off-hand comment by Sakurai. Loved Emio but I really can't see how you could make Taro and Ayumi work as Smash characters.

Overall likely:
Golden Sun: the series is kinda dead, but it's still playable on Switch and Isaac has always been a big request and he finally got a major nod in Ultimate. I can actually see it happen next time.
Astral Chain: feels like a very Sakurai character. The IP isn't all that big but it's not like the Switch had many new ones... Could happen.
Ring Fit: a no brainer on paper, but the most eeeeeeeeeeh of all these five options imo

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I also feel like Astral Chain has a decent shot because I feel like it will get a sequel? Like it didn't sell like hotcakes, but 1.3 million isn't bad and it outsold every Bayonetta game released on the Switch, so I could see them going for it again, and unless I'm forgetting something I don't think Nintendo really has any other flashy hack and slash style franchises.

No guarantee obviously, but I could see them going for it again on Switch 2 eventually.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Ring Fit Adventure
Astral Chain
Famicom Detective Club
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
  • While nothing's really a lock, Ring Fit Adventure still sold over 15 million copies, which is pretty damn good.
  • Astral Chain is a bit iffy; We haven't heard anything from it in five years, and it's not on the same level as Nintendo's other B-list games, but a million copies is still pretty solid. It's also worth noting that Smash often pulls from later installments of the preceding consoles (i.e. Rosalina and arguably Little Mac in 4, Inkling and Incineroar in Ultimate), especially notable since Ultimate didn't have that many Switch newcomers
  • Well, FDC has both seniority and the bonus of getting a revival AND a sequel. It's not a massive blockbuster, but that's still some decent notability. I'd say Ayumi's possible
  • Golden Sun hasn't seen much activity for a while, but Isaac still has some enduring possibility. And Ultimate was pretty crunched for newcomers, especially the base game, so I could imagine Isaac did well on the poll but just didn't have any room to get in. So, I think he still has a shot
  • From what I hear, Nintendo just didn't give WayForward much support working on the Advance Wars remake, and it was never localized in Japan either. Still, Advance Wars has some long-running history, so... Maybe? But it's not as strong a case as the other four

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I am... 60% sure we're getting an Astral Chain sequel on the Switch successor.

Platinum Games has done nothing outside of Bayonetta Origins, a vastly different game from their normal work with a bunch of different staff. Bayonetta 3 meanwhile is nearing 3 years of age, the same amount of time between Bayonetta 3 and Astral Chain and Astral Chain to Nier Automata. The most natural thing for Platinum to do would be to make Bayonetta 4, but Kamiya, the main writer for that series has left and honestly Bayonetta 3 has burned any bridges for fans wanting a sequel.

Ergo, Platinum Games, after recently opening a new office building in Fuokaka, requires a new game that is guaranteed to be semi-popular, one where another company can publish and give them resources, and one that doesn't involve Kamiya who just left. Nintendo simultaneously needs a big flashy game with safe sales to put in sizzle reel trailers and to market their shiny new console with.

AND, if there is a sequel and it IS popular, it is now a mainstay Nintendo series IP, making it a VERY plausible choice for Smash Bros.

1727384358424.png
It all points to Astral Chain 2...

Last edited:

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
I am... 60% sure we're getting an Astral Chain sequel on the Switch successor.

Platinum Games has done nothing outside of Bayonetta Origins, a vastly different game from their normal work with a bunch of different staff. Bayonetta 3 meanwhile is nearing 3 years of age, the same amount of time between Bayonetta 3 and Astral Chain and Astral Chain to Nier Automata. The most natural thing for Platinum to do would be to make Bayonetta 4, but Kamiya, the main writer for that series has left and honestly Bayonetta 3 has burned any bridges for fans wanting a sequel.

Ergo, Platinum Games, after recently opening a new office building in Fuokaka, requires a new game that is guaranteed to be semi-popular, one where another company can publish and give them resources, and one that doesn't involve Kamiya who just left. Nintendo simultaneously needs a big flashy game with safe sales to put in sizzle reel trailers and to market their shiny new console with.

AND, if there is a sequel and it IS popular, it is now a mainstay Nintendo series IP, making it a VERY plausible choice for Smash Bros.

View attachment 394681
It all points to Astral Chain 2...

To add to this, there's a recent rumor that Platinum is currently working on two games. If this is true, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is an Astral Chain sequel.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
Also worth noting Kamiya was only a supervisor on Astral Chain, and he doesn't tend to work as director on the sequels to the games he direct anyways (DMC 1 to DMC 2, Bayo 1 to Bayo 2), so him leaving isn't a big issue against it. The fact that Nintendo chose to gain full ownership of the IP I feel probably indicates they commissioned Platinum for a sequel.

Top Bottom