• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If we do get a Smash veteran popularity poll, who do you all think is going to be:
  • The least popular character out of all 89 playable characters?
  • The most popular character?
  • The biggest underperformer(s)?
  • The unexpected or slept on overperformer(s)?
  • Piranha Plant or Dr. Mario
  • Fox, Falcon, or Kirby
  • Depends on what you mean:
    • Should be high, but aren't? Simon, Lucario, Mega Man, Bowser Jr., Sonic, and maybe even Steve and Jiggs.
    • Generally low performance? Dr. Mario, Toon Link, Wii Fit Trainer, Min Min, Corrin, and Byleth
  • Young Link, Pichu, and Incin seem right here.

That makes me think though... Perkilator Perkilator It would probably be a good idea to include "Who's your favorite/least favorite character?" as questions since it would help gauge popularity divorced from the desire to just bring everyone back. How you do that is up to you though. You could allow for a top/bottom 5 for more coverage or have a follow up "Why?" question for both or do both if you felt like it.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah TTYD was basically almost perfection and they decided to take a dump on the franchise after super paper Mario.
My biggest problem with TTYD is that your party members basically become obsolete once they hit their growth cap. For example, Goombella is my favorite character but I maxed her out kind of early on. It just felt pointless to continue using her after that point since she couldn’t improve. The other (which is shared by other JRPGs) is that you’re forced to use Mario. It’s not so bad in other games since you have more active party members, but only having two is kind of limiting when Mario has to be one of them.

I still really enjoyed playing and watching my brother but those are a few issues I had that kept the game from a perfect score in my view. Those are just subjective complaints though it it could easily be perfect for those that don’t mind those limitations. The story and characters were definitely great.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
That makes me think though... Perkilator Perkilator It would probably be a good idea to include "Who's your favorite/least favorite character?" as questions since it would help gauge popularity divorced from the desire to just bring everyone back. How you do that is up to you though. You could allow for a top/bottom 5 for more coverage or have a follow up "Why?" question for both or do both if you felt like it.
I decided to make the question of each section “Vote for your five favorite characters in this section” in my draft. Does that work?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I decided to make the question of each section “Vote for your five favorite characters in this section” in my draft. Does that work?
Ah, I was picturing a "Given a list of all of the characters, which would you like to see back?". This method definitely wouldn't have the issue I describe.

Dunno what the sections are, but that sounds like the most reasonable way of doing it.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
Ah, I was picturing a "Given a list of all of the characters, which would you like to see back?". This method definitely wouldn't have the issue I describe.

Dunno what the sections are, but that sounds like the most reasonable way of doing it.
I typically went game by game so I could gauge the top 10 most popular characters from each game. Once all is said and done, I plan to take the top 10 of each game and sort them into a top 50 by the overall amount of votes.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I typically went game by game so I could gauge the top 10 most popular characters from each game. Once all is said and done, I plan to take the top 10 of each game and sort them into a top 50 by the overall amount of votes.
Dunno how significant this would be, but I do worry that sorting the different categories together might inflate certain characters within that overall context. For example, Kirby might appear more popular overall than he might actually be because while he might not be the most popular smash character, he's the most popular Smash 64 character or something along those lines. Might be best to have a top 5 overall category at the end or something.

Or maybe that's not how that works. I'm not sure.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
The more I think about it, the more I’m confident K. Rool :ultkrool:will be absent (at least from the base game) next time around.
(late, but) I don't see why this would be the case considering K. Rool's ballot results supposedly came as a complete surprise to Nintendo and directly contributed to him showing up in Ultimate.

Not to mention the Schaffrillas poll stacks him up against EVERY Mario character when the only Mario game he's ever really been in is Mario Super Sluggers on the Wii which didn't even release in Europe and came out in 2008, and aside from Ultimate he's basically been missing ever since. Nearly every other Mario character in the poll appears very regularly or has appeared recently, and frankly to a lot of people (myself included even though I love K. Rool) he may not even register as a character that would be included in a Mario character list.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If we do get a Smash veteran popularity poll, who do you all think is going to be:
Least Popular - Olimar, Duck Hunt, someone like that. Not because they’re inherently unpopular characters but because their more specialized or unwieldy playstyle makes them a rare “favorite”. Characters like Young Link are at least commonly played.

Most Popular - People like their goofy big guys like Dedede and King K. Rool. Kirby, Ness, Captain Falcon. All of these will be Top 10.

Underperformer - Rosalina, Diddy Kong, Lucario. Popular characters in their own series, not that popular in Smash. Will go out on a limb and say (Smash) Meta Knight is not that popular these days either? Not sure where he would pool but these feel like interesting cases of that external popularity not quite lining up.

Overperformer - Pichu, Incineroar and maybe Byleth. I also think Terry will be ranked very high among the third parties, and significantly higher than Ryu and Kazuya. I think Wolf could be an overachiever too, potentially the highest of the Star Fox crew.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
Dunno how significant this would be, but I do worry that sorting the different categories together might inflate certain characters within that overall context. For example, Kirby might appear more popular overall than he might actually be because while he might not be the most popular smash character, he's the most popular Smash 64 character or something along those lines. Might be best to have a top 5 overall category at the end or something.

Or maybe that's not how that works. I'm not sure.
I’m mostly framing this poll in the context of every playable character in Ultimate. By “game by game”, I mean in the context of every character introduced in their respective Smash games.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
If I can add something, what about having a different number of characters for each game?
I mean, reaching the top 5 in Smash 64 with its 12 characters is easier than doing so in Ultimate with its 23.
Choosing 5 for each game would skew the results towards the Smash 64 characters no matter what.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
If I can add something, what about having a different number of characters for each game?
I mean, reaching the top 5 in Smash 64 with its 12 characters is easier than doing so in Ultimate with its 23.
Choosing 5 for each game would skew the results towards the Smash 64 characters no matter what.
In that case, I think I’ll raise it to allow voting for ten characters per section.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
HyperSmashBrosDX.png

Alright, here we go. One last iteration of the SharkLord roster. Really the only change was nixing Palutena (And by extension her Echo Fighter, Medusa) and adding Little Mac, because I realized Punch-Out was the only non-retro series that just lost it's playable representation entirely - Even Wii Fit and the Miis live on in spirit through the Ring Fit Trainee and the expanded custom character concept I had.

Also, since I couldn't figure out another Echo Fighter to cram in to round out the roster, I decided to just show the custom character on the roster. Guess I should go into that so I'm not just spamming the same image repeatedly with minor tweaks. The idea I had was that we'd expand on the Fighting Alloys from Brawl, since the represented the other Mob Smash enemies; Polygons wrapped around wireframes, representing the Polygon Fighting Team and the Wireframes from 64 and Melee, respectively. To round it out, one of the customization options would be giving them the faces of a Mii, so we pasically merge all the fighting teams into a single customizable entity.

There'd be some expanded moveset options as well; There'd be at least a good handful of normal movesets based on different fighters, like Captain Falcon or Marth, if not just having counterparts to every fighter in the roster (Though that might be a bit too complicated). Then there would be a big variety of specials you could choose from. Certain outfits or accessories could be added to unlock exclusive moves. I haven't fleshed out the concept fully, but I dunno, I like the idea of a super versatile character creator, like in Tekken 7 or Soulcalibur.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
- This one is dependent on how it's gauged. If it's asked as "least favorite," then Piranha Plant, Corrin, and Young Link would probably get the most votes. If it's asking for people's favorites and seeing who gets the least amount of votes, it would probably be someone else who just falls under the radar. So probably Mii Swordfighter.

- Some combination of Kirby, King K. Rool, and Captain Falcon.

- I agree with Louie G. here. These would likely be characters who are objectively popular in their own series but don't see that popularity follow their Smash incarnations, in some cases due to their playstyle being either complicated or unfitting. Diddy Kong, Rosalina and Luma, Meta Knight, Lucario, and Isabelle.

- Ike and Palutena.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Woah now hold on here.

I had been theory crafting a veteran poll after the third party one (it's in development).

So one Perkilator Perkilator how could you do this to me? You're encroaching on my territory! (You're fine, lol. Maybe we could even collab).

But on a more serious note, vets are tricky and I'd say there needs to be several questions answered for each vet.

1. How do you like the character outside of the context of Smash?
2. How do you like their moveset when playing them?
3. How do you like their moveset when playing against them?

And tons of questions like that. If you just say "who's your favorite or least favorite," you'll just get two data points that don't mean a ton.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Woah now hold on here.

I had been theory crafting a veteran poll after the third party one (it's in development).

So one Perkilator Perkilator how could you do this to me? You're encroaching on my territory! (You're fine, lol. Maybe we could even collab).

But on a more serious note, vets are tricky and I'd say there needs to be several questions answered for each vet.

1. How do you like the character outside of the context of Smash?
2. How do you like their moveset when playing them?
3. How do you like their moveset when playing against them?

And tons of questions like that. If you just say "who's your favorite or least favorite, you'll just get two data points that don't mean a ton.
Yeah, that’s a great point. Two big examples for me are Lucario and Mega Man. I really like both characters a lot but I find them difficult to use effectively in Smash. That doesn’t mean I want them cut just because I don’t use them as much. I’d love if their playstyles were streamlined a bit so they’re easier to use. I think, if given no other context, I’d rate them both highly because I like them as characters outside of Smash.

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
IDK if I'd say he's the biggest underperformer, but :ultbowserjr: has to be up there. For how much attention he gets in Supra Mayro, Junior anecdotally does not feel like a very popular character to play; I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the bottom 10 of usage even.

Also for most popular character, I'm guessing :ultcloud: honestly. I remember hearing Sakurai claim he was the most used fighter online in 2019.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I’m thinking of doing a popularity poll for Smash veterans to gauge which characters people want back the most. How would you guys feel about this?
Redundant. If given the choice and it doesn't compromise other aspects of the game, everyone SHOULD want every character to return. If you are someone who is actively rooting to take away fighters, aka taking away other people's fun, you are a grade A asshole.

Top Bottom