• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
In the end I've played through all of Emio. Nice game, the last 2-3 hours really go places and the writing is surprisingly consistent (there was one cheap trick that I didn't really love, but also one of the sleekest plot twists I've seen in videogames, so it balances out). There's a really big surprise at the very end too, wasn't expecting it.
Overall I've really liked it! Might also play the other FDC games in the future.

As far as Smash goes though? I'd be surprised if FDC gets more than some music tracks - which it definitely should. A couple of songs in Emio are crazy good. Would love to see what the Smash team cooks up with the protagonist / Ayumi (nowadays we'd definitely get both), but I feel like that's fairly unlikely overall.
But, whatever. Game was a worthy experience even if it doesn't get major Smash content.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Would love to see what the Smash team cooks up with the protagonist / Ayumi (nowadays we'd definitely get both), but I feel like that's fairly unlikely overall.
Come to think of it, as unlikely as it is, I think an FDC Protagonist/Ayumi team-up in the style of Zelda/Sheik and Aegis (Pyra/Mythra) would be pretty cool.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Do bootlegs, both old (Kung Fu Mari) and new (those Mario knock-offs that flood Google Play) deserve representation in Smash?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I too hope my great grandchild looks completely identical to me, going so far as to dress exactly the same.
lol This quote has the same energy as "It's a weird coincidence because whenever I'm beaten in battle I also become my whole house."

No? They're not real games?
Well bootleg games are still games, but deciding that the next third party character should be "knockoff Mario" is definitely a choice. I'd say that kind of thing would be much more suited to a fan game than an official one.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, do you think we'll ever get a Retro character again?
Seriously hoping so. Say what you will, but it's not like Nintendo has a shortage of characters under that umbrella to use.

Takamaru, Ayumi, Lip, Saki, Lark, Harry, Michael Anderson, Bubbles, Urban Champ, Sukapon, Alice, Hakkun, Sherriff, Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker, etc.

Long story short, they've got options.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
OK, so I just a had a thought…

Assuming Ganondorf gets a full-on overhaul in the form of TOTK for the next game, do you think they would still use one of his older designs (OOT or TP) as one of his alts?
Would that even fit ? I mean TOTK Ganondorf has a total different set of abilities and weapon types. I have a hard time imagining other versions of Ganondorf fitting this, unless he has minimal move set changes. And even then, historically OOT and TP Ganondorf do not have the same move set in Smash either. I couldn't imagine them sharing the same slot for this reason even.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Is it too early to speculate about the next Smash Bros?
The main questions so far are:
1. Will it happen?
2. Will Sakurai be still behind it?
3. Will it have a smaller roster (DLC excluded)?
4. Will it be a launch title for the "Switch 2"(I don't think this will be it's actual name)?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Thanks, decided to fix the broken signature with a generic top 10 most wanteds split evenly between 1st and 3rd party characters and put in some effort to make it halfway presentable.
Just like me! Only without the lame 1st Party part!

1725355202758.png

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
1. Will it happen?
4. Will it be a launch title for the "Switch 2"(I don't think this will be it's actual name)?
In my opinion:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. No

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Would that even fit ? I mean TOTK Ganondorf has a total different set of abilities and weapon types. I have a hard time imagining other versions of Ganondorf fitting this, unless he has minimal move set changes. And even then, historically OOT and TP Ganondorf do not have the same move set in Smash either. I couldn't imagine them sharing the same slot for this reason even.
how is TP and OoT Ganon's using the ToTK moves any worse than them using the falcon moveset

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
1. Will it happen?
  1. Yes. Nintendo would be a fool to not go ahead with a new Smash on a new console.
  2. I believe so for the most part. We may start hearing rumours of a successor at least within the next decade.
  3. I believe so. Let Ultimate be Ultimate. A new game needs to look towards the future, with Nintendo’s Switch era being so successful.
  4. No. I believe other games such as a 3D Mario, Animal Crossing, Mario Maker, and either Pokémon or Mario Kart will come prior to a new Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
  1. Yes. Nintendo would be a fool to not go ahead with a new Smash on a new console.
  2. I believe so for the most part. We may start hearing rumours of a successor at least within the next decade.
  3. I believe so. Let Ultimate be Ultimate. A new game needs to look towards the future, with Nintendo’s Switch era being so successful.
  4. No. I believe other games such as a 3D Mario, Animal Crossing, Mario Maker, and either Pokémon or Mario Kart will come prior to a new Smash.
nah animal crossing will take a while, they'll be moving onto spaltoon 4 first

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
1. Will it happen?
  1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. Probably, but possibly around Smash 4-sized
  4. Probably not

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1. Will it happen?
1. Of course it will.
2. Most likely. He’s expressed his feelings on this many times and I’m sure Nintendo would be inviting him back.
3. Tough call, but if it’s smaller than Ultimate I’m thinking just barely. 60-68 character range seems practical to me, so about base Ultimate size.
4. Not a launch title. Will be announced by second or third year.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Speaking of "Switch 2", I think it is almost time. Though they did say for the Summer Direct that they WON'T talk about the next console. Winter might be the case where it could be announced for the end of 2024.
Screenshot_20240622_223437_YouTube.jpg

We will see once the Fall Direct is announced. Also, I think the direct might drop either 2nd or 3rd week of September.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

We are finally there.

We have 1,000 votes (exactly right now). I'm going to do one more big write up, except instead of just top fives, you'll be able to see how many votes every single character had.

I never thought getting this many votes was possible. I feared we would fizzle out around 300, let alone the initial 500 goal.

After the write up, I'm going to essentially leave the poll alone. It'll still be open, but I won't actively spread it anymore. If it somehow gets another 500 votes, we could probably get another write up, but I think we've exhausted our resources (without going to 4chan, but that's probably for the best).

Thank you all, this wouldn't be possible without all of you.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
In the end I've played through all of Emio. Nice game, the last 2-3 hours really go places and the writing is surprisingly consistent (there was one cheap trick that I didn't really love, but also one of the sleekest plot twists I've seen in videogames, so it balances out). There's a really big surprise at the very end too, wasn't expecting it.
Overall I've really liked it! Might also play the other FDC games in the future.

As far as Smash goes though? I'd be surprised if FDC gets more than some music tracks - which it definitely should. A couple of songs in Emio are crazy good. Would love to see what the Smash team cooks up with the protagonist / Ayumi (nowadays we'd definitely get both), but I feel like that's fairly unlikely overall.
But, whatever. Game was a worthy experience even if it doesn't get major Smash content.
I think the protag won't become fight because his fly open sometimes.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Lord
Most likely they will put in the new Super Smash Bros. and an Adventure Mode. Anyway, however they make Adventure Mode there will be enough for me, I don't think there will be a problem and also like everyone else I'm looking forward to seeing the new Final Boss after Galeem and Dharkon. It is true that none of us can know about it, but still I think that in general Adventure Mode is also the reason why the Super Smash Bros. series became famous, but as we know the biggest reason is the video game characters themselves.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
1. Will it happen?
1. Of course it will. At this point, the series sells way too highly for it to ever end.
2. He probably will. He seems to love the series as much as we do.
3. Possibly. I don't think EiH is gonna happen a second time unless we get Ultimate DX… but do we really want that?
4. Probably not.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I do think it’s very likely that we’ll see another Smash on the Switch 2 but I don’t think it’s a 100% guarantee. Until the Switch, I would have thought it was a near certainty that we’d get a new Mario Kart every console generation but we just got 8 Deluxe instead. There’s also the chance that Sakurai sees Ultimate as the series finale, hence the name. I still think we’ll see a traditional sequel but I’m open to the possibility that we might not.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I do think it’s very likely that we’ll see another Smash on the Switch 2 but I don’t think it’s a 100% guarantee. Until the Switch, I would have thought it was a near certainty that we’d get a new Mario Kart every console generation but we just got 8 Deluxe instead. There’s also the chance that Sakurai sees Ultimate as the series finale, hence the name. I still think we’ll see a traditional sequel but I’m open to the possibility that we might not.
It is all up to Sakurai to decide what's next for Super Smash Bros. Until either the torch is passed on or Sakurai himself says Smash Bros has concluded, fate is uncertain......

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Then wouldn't he also name it to reflect that in Japanese?
That’s a good point too. I’m not sure why they went with Ultimate in English if it wasn’t also used for Japanese. Even if the naming isn’t consistent, Ultimate does have the feeling of a big blowout series finale that celebrates the history of the series. That said, we still kept getting Mortal Kombat games after MK Trilogy so it definitely doesn’t mean we can’t get a sequel either. Just an observation.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I’m not sure why they went with Ultimate in English if it wasn’t also used for Japanese
Smash isn't a series whose Japanese and international names are consistent. Even the name of the series isn't "Super" in Japanese, it's something that means "Great/Big/Massive/etc. Melee", hence why Mythra's Smash costume in XC2 is called "Massive Melee".

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was a special case because the Wii U was a flop and the Switch wasn't backwards compatible with it, so they decided to port a lot of Wii U titles onto the Switch in the hopes they would be much more successful there, and it worked. There's no need to just port Ultimate onto the Switch because the Switch was an extremely successful console (thus most of the potential customers have already bought Ultimate) and there's a good chance that the Switch 2 is backwards compatible with the original, and thus you could just play Ultimate on it as is.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
There’s also the chance that Sakurai sees Ultimate as the series finale, hence the name.
Trivia: In Japan it's called Super Smash Bros. Special.
It was renamed Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the western market because the word "Special" doesn't sound badass as it used to be.
And anyway, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was all but the last Mortal Kombat.

Top Bottom