• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

superprincess

Smash Ace
It's been like 15 years since I first played Brawl and I still don't have all the trophies, stickers or achievements on the challenge wall. It's not like I haven't tried, but it really speaks to how rich Brawl's singleplayer content is.

For Ultimate, I completed World of Light once (begrudgingly, because it kept dragging on and on) and filled the challenge collage and that was basically it. I don't care to obtain a bunch of PNGs.

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I think the blind passes are the way to go for a big crossover like this, honestly.

I don't like not knowing when a trailer will drop, but if we already know the whole lineup, there would be significantly less talk about the game.
I seconded you on the second one. But big blind fighters pass are a meh...
They'd better release new characters individually like Brawlhalla does.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I seconded you on the second one. But big blind fighters pass are a meh...
They'd better release new characters individually like Brawlhalla does.
Like some guy named Nelson said, you always had the option to buy individually or to get the Passes.

Literally every fighting game these days except Brawlhalla and Multiversus does that.

Why do you think they were called "Challenger Pack [number]"?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You're not the first one to say that about Spirits and you will be not the last. They don't have the same appeal of trophies, expecially the Melee ones.
I'm hoping in a return of them. Maybe in vain but I'm hoping.
I agree. Spirits just never really interested me much. Trophies were cool because you could read all about the character and move the model around to view it from different angles.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In all honesty Ultimate feels like Super Smash Bros. 4 DX with extra steps, in the good and the bad way.
It was clearly rushed AF (Sakurai got even ill in the process) because the lifespan of the Wii was shoryer than planned.
Ultimate quite literally had the LONGEST development time out of any Smash game.

Smash 64 had a little less than two years.
Melee had under two years and was infamously crunch-heavy.
Brawl had two full years plus a six or so month delay because of adding Sonic.
Smash 4 had both versions developed in two years.

Ultimate had, essentially, three full years from 2015-2018.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
On the topic of DLC, I think future Challenger Packs should come with Mii Fighter costumes (and I guess, if the team is up for it, alternate costumes for non-Mii fighters) bundled with them.
I'm not sure Mii Fighters will return but I hope so and I hope they will have more attires. Even among the regular ones.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm not sure Mii Fighters will return but I hope so and I hope they will have more attires. Even among the regular ones.
Mii's chances are a 50/50 and entirely rely on whether or not the Switch 2 will let you make Miis.

If it does, they're guaranteed to come back. If it doesn't, they're guaranteed cuts.

The casual appeal of making anyone you want is too huge to get rid of if the option to make Miis is retained.

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Mii's chances are a 50/50 and entirely rely on whether or not the Switch 2 will let you make Miis.
Miis on the Switch had the perk you could make their hair very colorful. If The Miis on the Switch 2 will allow you to change their skin into some more bizarre colors like red, yellow, green and blue, I see a great potential for them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Miis on the Switch had the perk you could make their hair very colorful. If The Miis on the Switch 2 will allow you to change their skin into some more bizarre colors like red, yellow, green and blue, I see a great potential for them.
Well the Miitopia remake had extended Mii customization greatly, so there's that I guess.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

If it does, they're guaranteed to come back. If it doesn't, they're guaranteed cuts.

The casual appeal of making anyone you want is too huge to get rid of if the option to make Miis is retained.
I'm like half hoping the Mii Maker for Switch 2 takes some cues from Miitopia's editor, even though I don't think it will.

If it does though, Miis are gonna be insane next Smash, considering how things went in Miitopia lmao

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm like half hoping the Mii Maker for Switch 2 takes some cues from Miitopia's editor, even though I don't think it will.

If it does though, Miis are gonna be insane next Smash, considering how things went in Miitopia lmao
Getting the Miitopia maker is literally best case scenario. That stuff is INSANE.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Getting the Miitopia maker is literally best case scenario. That stuff is INSANE.
It would be absolutely insane, but there’s no way that Nintendo would make that the main Mii maker, since that’s too much artistic freedom for making things that will be visible unmoderated to strangers online. Miitopia is a strictly singleplayer game (and you cannot share customized Miis without exchanging codes completely outside the game itself.)

(I do note that Smash Ultimate’s stage builder sharing server thing exists as a means of drawing and posting anything. Theoretically it would be easier to moderate since the things you post stay on their server longer, as opposed to a Mii design your opponents will only ever see once, but idk.)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
NGL, I was hoping Coupe from that game was one of the DLC characters. I still love how sassy she is:
Watching a car twerk in a monster truck's face with the trunk open so that he would dive onto a rock and beach himself instead of overtaking her in the race is...not something I had on my Bingo card today.

It would be absolutely insane, but there’s no way that Nintendo would make that the main Mii maker, since that’s too much artistic freedom for making things that will be visible unmoderated to strangers online. Miitopia is a strictly singleplayer game (and you cannot share customized Miis without exchanging codes completely outside the game itself.)

(I do note that Smash Ultimate’s stage builder sharing server thing exists as a means of drawing and posting anything. Theoretically it would be easier to moderate since the things you post stay on their server longer, as opposed to a Mii design your opponents will only ever see once, but idk.)
Wait, did they change it for the Switch release? The 3Ds version picked on an internet database.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Wait, did they change it for the Switch release? The 3Ds version picked on an internet database.
There's still an internet database, but you need to exchange friend codes to get access to various parts of it so you won't easily see penis-faced Miis that can now be way more detailed.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
That's a good point. Maybe not THAT level of artistic freedom but something close.
Maybe even a return of the Amiimals, if Dillon is promoted from AT to playable character:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Actually, I'd kinda like it if they tried re-adding the gliding mechanic for some of the flying characters. You just have to be super careful in giving it more proper drawbacks (which is why I'd understand if it was deemed not worth the effort). It'd be especially cool to see it on Ridley, for ex.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
Regardless of whether or not it's unfixable, there's still enough solo Sheik mains to warrant splitting the two anyway.

Also, in regards to whether or not any Smash game is rushed, I have a hot take on the idea that Melee is rushed: It isn't. Even with its clones and glitches, it still manages to add a substantial amount of content 64 didn't have, and 1 year was a normal dev cycle back then anyway.
Melee was rushed, they were literally sleeping in the offices iirc. Or to put it better, they condensed 1.5/2 years of work in just one.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Melee was rushed, they were literally sleeping in the offices iirc. Or to put it better, they condensed 1.5/2 years of work in just one.
...which was also normal back then in terms of Japanese game development.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Maybe even a return of the Amiimals, if Dillon is promoted from AT to playable character:
Fursuiting Miis was also not on my Bingo card...I think I need a new one at this point.

Actually, I'd kinda like it if they tried re-adding the gliding mechanic for some of the flying characters. You just have to be super careful in giving it more proper drawbacks (which is why I'd understand if it was deemed not worth the effort). It'd be especially cool to see it on Ridley, for ex.
I think the broken part of it was the degree of control plus the fact that you could do it near infinitely.

Steve I think improves on the mechanic by 1, not being quite so freeform, and 2, making it more intuitive to control by sending you up first. I'm not sure if you could import Elytra's mechanics to the game's fliers super easily, but I'd say it's worth exploring.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
Wectoring but it's universal
What they REALLY should bring back is Wectoring.
Ok but Wectoring would make a fantastic move for Waluigi. Think about it.

Imagine Waluigi being launched through the air and then he suddenly contorts his lanky body into the shape of a boomerang before slowing down and zooming the opposite direction, converting that knockback energy into a high-speed comeback attack.

He cheats Smash's mechanics by using a literal exploit. It's perfect.

Stratos

Smash Lord
I know it doesn't matter, but from video game characters in the Super Smash Bros. series as fighters we have humans, animals, a plant (I'm referring to Piranha Plant), magical creatures, monsters, robots, aliens, angels and a goddess (I'm referring to Palutena) and some other characters (I mean Pac-Man, Inkling and maybe others). While the categories of video game characters we lack are mutants, living objects, living foods, undead (ie vampires, zombies, skeletons, ghosts, mummies, etc.), cyborgs, and demons.

Laniv

Smash Champion
While the categories of video game characters we lack are mutants, living objects, living foods, undead (ie vampires, zombies, skeletons, ghosts, mummies, etc.), cyborgs, and demons.
... There's an answer to this but I don't wanna spoil anything lol

Also Kazuya is part demon, does he count?

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
While the categories of video game characters we lack are mutants, living objects, living foods, undead (ie vampires, zombies, skeletons, ghosts, mummies, etc.), cyborgs, and demons
Dracula is a vampire
Zelda , has an undead equivalent to a zombie
What do you mean by ; living object ?
There are ghosts from Pac-man
Kazuya definitely fits the demonic bill
Mega-Man is a Cyborg
There are spirits with horses and a horse can be considered a living food

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know it doesn't matter, but from video game characters in the Super Smash Bros. series as fighters we have humans, animals, a plant (I'm referring to Piranha Plant), magical creatures, monsters, robots, aliens, angels and a goddess (I'm referring to Palutena) and some other characters (I mean Pac-Man, Inkling and maybe others). While the categories of video game characters we lack are mutants, living objects, living foods, undead (ie vampires, zombies, skeletons, ghosts, mummies, etc.), cyborgs, and demons.
I mean we have a playable duck and a playable frog and people eat those so I think living food is covered. Also we have a zombie alt

Dracula is a vampire
Mega-Man is a Cyborg
Stratos said as fighters so several of your examples are moot
The Zelda enemies you are thinking of are called redeads
Megaman is a robot not a cyborg
Living objects are characters whose appearance is that of a usually inanimate object, see Pokemon like magenmite

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
They should give Bowser Jr. a hover
I've thought about this and it is quite weird how the Clown Car doesn't move like a Clown Car in Smash, not even a little. He shouldn't have Peach float, but rather an omnidirectional float, like what Ganondorf has in some Smash mods that rework him. That would help bridge the gap between Smash's Clown Car and how you'd expect it to work based on Mario games.

Last edited:

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
You're not the first one to say that about Spirits and you will be not the last. They don't have the same appeal of trophies, expecially the Melee ones.
I'm hoping in a return of them. Maybe in vain but I'm hoping.
I love trophies but I also get Sakurai's argument that rigging hundreds of models is time and resources that are probably better spent somewhere else.

My personal compromise would be to only have trophies for the playable fighters + any bosses. I feel like that's a much more feasible request

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm very much not a fan of gliding.
Gliding I think is simply not healthy for the game in any form, yes, including Steve who can just recover from hell and has a hitbox on it and has zero endlag.
Having that level of aerial mobility at no expense means an incredibly large number of options unexploitable by pretty much any reasonable character in the cast. It's really boring, even in comparison to tethers which literally just grab the ledge. There are any number of ways to represent wings which would be both more interesting, visually appealing, and have some combat utility.

And, like honestly? Holy **** it looks so awful.
Like actually look at gliding characters, they lock up in a rigid pose and then get moved around midair with all the grace of a brick, certainly not the elegance I'd associate with wings.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Ok but Wectoring would make a fantastic move for Waluigi. Think about it.

Imagine Waluigi being launched through the air and then he suddenly contorts his lanky body into the shape of a boomerang before slowing down and zooming the opposite direction, converting that knockback energy into a high-speed comeback attack.

He cheats Smash's mechanics by using a literal exploit. It's perfect.
But he can only go in the direction required to make an Γ

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Dracula is a vampire
Mega-Man is a Cyborg
Mega Man is an android, not a cyborg. He's entirely inorganic.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
While the categories of video game characters we lack are mutants, living objects, living foods, undead (ie vampires, zombies, skeletons, ghosts, mummies, etc.), cyborgs, and demons.
OK, hear me out…

Yeah, I know the Darkstalkers series has pretty much remained dormant for years, but after Capcom Fighting Collection (despite most players' short-lived interest in it), I think this franchise should at least have a sliver of a chance.

And I know that even if Darkstalkers were likely enough to have some playable representation for Smash, they'd just go with Morrigan. But in Japan, the series is called Vampire, which is exactly what Demitri is. Personally, I think he represents the series better than Morrigan does.

Top Bottom