• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend
So...basically all of them?

I wonder if all the term "Echo Fighter" did was split the community on people who bought the marketing push and people who are like "it doesn't matter what you call it, clones suck!"
Nah, some Echoes people were fine with. Ken and Richter have the least complaints out of all the Echoes and while I mentioned Dark Pit, people's issue with Dark Pit back then was less his moveset potential and more of him getting in over other characters they wanted, much like every other game to exist. Otherwise, while some people think he could've been given a more Uprising-focused moveset, most don't really complain about his Echo status since in Uprising, when you play as him, he uses any weapon Pit uses.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Today I learned Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach is on Switch. The game is extremely poorly optimized from what I've seen so I can't imagine how poorly it operates on the Switch, but it's neat that it's there.

I think that means just about the entire series is and will likely continue to be on Nintendo consoles, which is kind of interesting. Unfortunately the Venn diagram between FNaF fans and Smash Fans is almost two separate circles so I doubt it'll mean much for getting FNaF content in Smash, but it does at least have the Nintendo connection.

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Today I learned Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach is on Switch. The game is extremely poorly optimized from what I've seen so I can't imagine how poorly it operates on the Switch, but it's neat that it's there.

I think that means just about the entire series is and will likely continue to be on Nintendo consoles, which is kind of interesting. Unfortunately the Venn diagram between FNaF fans and Smash Fans is almost two separate circles so I doubt it'll mean much for getting FNaF content in Smash, but it does at least have the Nintendo connection.

As much as I hate to say it, FNAF would make a lot of sense as a big indie/horror game franchise that won't stop. Granted, I think it would be the most controversial pick thus far even as a mii costume or spirit event... but i could see them doing it.

edit: honestly if the venn diagram is two circles that could be another point in feddy's favor as it'd expand smash's consumer base (speaking from the corporate perspective).

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Shiori gang, our time will come. We will win. All 5 of us.
Screw Kiryu, screw Estelle, this is what we should be talking about.

Jokes aside, I’m bummed they still aren’t bringing it out west. Hopefully a translated port can come later down the line? I’m sure the market for it exists here, if not just to experience some gaming history.

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Screw Kiryu, screw Estelle, this is what we should be talking about.

Jokes aside, I’m bummed they still aren’t bringing it out west. Hopefully a translated port can come later down the line? I’m sure the market for it exists here, if not just to experience some gaming history.
The fact that it got announced in the same direct where in the states they showed that stupid Date Anything game is a tragedy...

VNs deserve a better rap in the west, I swear.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The fact that it got announced in the same direct where in the states they showed that stupid Date Anything game is a tragedy...

I dunno man.

Textbox-chan got me acting up.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Hey, don't diss Chairem Anime: The Game. :4pacman:

Actually, with the inclusion of your existential dread personified, I feel like the game will be at least a little deeper than "lol funny date inanimate objects game". Then again, it could also not be. It's difficult to tell because these things often have good ideas and then just do nothing with them in favor of "le romance".

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Ooo I can finally play Aria of Sorrow and the other SOTN follow ups YAY
I mean, Aria has been on Switch for a couple of years now with the Advance Collection, but we are now getting its direct sequel, Dawn of Sorrow. This collection existing and shadowdropping is awesome, but I'm shocked that Konami seemingly refuses to port SotN, even the Requiem version with Rondo, to Switch and PC.

Dukefire

Smash Master
An fall nintendo direct will appear soon since June was the Summer Direct month. They just need to finish the announcements for the fall. Well, other than the ones shown in the partner showcase.
Screenshot_20240825_135322_YouTube.jpg

Though, feel bad for people waiting for Silksong news of Hollow Knight. They are becoming the "Geno" fans craving for news to the point of potential insanity.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
View attachment 393779
People on the internet asking for Peppino/Kiryu as newcomers after this showcase
This reminds me of a comment I saw once about how somebody used to want Peppino in Smash, but stopped after the game went viral because "an indie rep should be somebody obscure" or something like that. I'm... not sure how I feel about such a take.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
This reminds me of a comment I saw once about how somebody used to want Peppino in Smash, but stopped after the game went viral because "an indie rep should be somebody obscure" or something like that. I'm... not sure how I feel about such a take.
It's flawed mindset for them to have because by that logic no indie should get in regardless of being an unknown or not, because being in Smash would cause a MASSIVE upturn and make them not obscure whatsoever.

Me? I just want funny anxiety Italian man in Smash among other "indie" options because I think they'd be cool.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Was really happy to see the Castlevania collection. I can finally play Order of Ecclesia again after I lost my copy and couldn't find another. Also great to see another Capcom Fighting Collection and the release dates for the MvC Collection and Suikoden 1 & 2 collection.

Edit: Oh, Tales of Graces F remastered was cool to see too and Star Overdrive also looked cool.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
An fall nintendo direct will appear soon since June was the Summer Direct month. They just need to finish the announcements for the fall. Well, other than the ones shown in the partner showcase.View attachment 393783
Though, feel bad for people waiting for Silksong news of Hollow Knight. They are becoming the "Geno" fans craving for news to the point of potential insanity.
This brings up a potential question.

When do you think the Switch successor will be revealed?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
From my outsider's perspective, those people are so funny. Like, a AAA studio would take a while to make Hollow Knight. How long do you expect three people making their second ever commercial product to take?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
You guys remember Sakurai’s video on the limited skeletons he has to work with?
That’s why I feel like may be difficult to translate Peppino’s art style and animations to Smash’s 3D style.
This is why I'm not really pushing for Peppino as a playable character, I don't feel like he'd translate well because like some characters in Smash are expressive but for Peppino, you'd have to dial any other character's expressiveness up by like 100?

That said, I would love a Mii Costume or something along with some music like what Sans and Cuphead got, especially since it'd be a Brawler and Brawler's Final Smash is basically the beatdown Peppino delivers at the end of the game lol

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
From my outsider's perspective, those people are so funny. Like, a AAA studio would take a while to make Hollow Knight. How long do you expect three people making their second ever commercial product to take?
I think they'd be less rabid if they got any real news.

ShotoStar

Smash Apprentice
And now we're back to "what even is an Echo Fighter anyway?".

Maybe we should just stop using the term entirely. It seems like for the most part, when someone says that X could be an Echo Fighter of Y, they're always picturing a semi-clone, while everyone else pictures a glorified alternate costume.
That's quite some snarkiness there. I apologize but I haven't been keeping up with discussion of Smash until very recently, I was here during the DLC cycle but the echo fighter discussion was useless then and I left for a long while afterwards. My question was genuine, I was unsure of where the lines were drawn between echo fighter and semi clone but I guess I'll just use the "glorified alt" definition for echo fighters from now on

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
This is why I'm not really pushing for Peppino as a playable character, I don't feel like he'd translate well because like some characters in Smash are expressive but for Peppino, you'd have to dial any other character's expressiveness up by like 100?

That said, I would love a Mii Costume or something along with some music like what Sans and Cuphead got, especially since it'd be a Brawler and Brawler's Final Smash is basically the beatdown Peppino delivers at the end of the game lol
I think a Spirit would best work for Pizza Tower’s 2D art style. As far as music, there definitely ought to be a remix of Pizza Time.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
This brings up a potential question.

When do you think the Switch successor will be revealed?
Either October or December, it depends on what they want to do with the Switch 1 this holiday. To clarify,
  • October is if they're willing to do some price cuts on the Switch 1. I'm thinking a $50-$75 price cut on the device itself, and the return of Nintendo Selects or something similar. This would probably get some people to buy a Switch that had previously been holding out, hopefully counter-balancing the dwindling interest because of Switch 2.
  • December is if they don't do something like that. The idea is to hope enough people buy Switch 1s during black friday to still make a decent profit.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I think a Spirit would best work for Pizza Tower’s 2D art style. As far as music, there definitely ought to be a remix of Pizza Time.
Yeah, a collectible like that would work best (I say collectible because Smash 4 started using sprites for some trophies that were double sided, like the Rhythm Heaven ones lol), I just don't know if they'd want to add music alongside a few trophies/spirits as opposed to a Mii Costume like Sans, Cuphead, and Shantae lol

Plus I really want a Brawler Peppino Mii for the Final Smash thing I mentioned lol

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's quite some snarkiness there. I apologize but I haven't been keeping up with discussion of Smash until very recently, I was here during the DLC cycle but the echo fighter discussion was useless then and I left for a long while afterwards. My question was genuine, I was unsure of where the lines were drawn between echo fighter and semi clone but I guess I'll just use the "glorified alt" definition for echo fighters from now on
Oh, sorry. I said what I did because it's a commonly occurring topic/argument. Essentially, the answer as to what an Echo Fighter is is too vague for us to really pin down what's possible, but with the examples given people seem to either be more pessimistic than optimistic, or really like the idea of what they could be, even if most of them aren't that.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Now i dont have to use project x zone to justify Kiryu in smash huzzah

Remember when Yakuza was never coming back to Nintendo consoles lmao

Also Capcom has managed to give me 3 heart attacks over the past 3 months this year, I love having near death experiences. Make it 4 with a new Mega Man announcement you cowards
Best we can do is Star force Legacy collection

Last edited:
Top Bottom