• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Dukefire

Smash Master
From my outsider's perspective, those people are so funny. Like, a AAA studio would take a while to make Hollow Knight. How long do you expect three people making their second ever commercial product to take?
Cuphead's development was years due to being an indie company and all assets being Hand Drawn from scratch to mimic the 40s rubberhose animation style. People just tend to forget the struggles of others as time progresses....

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
This brings up a potential question.

When do you think the Switch successor will be revealed?
Most likely by April 2025, 2024 seems a bit too early.

What new stages do you guys expect in a Smash 6? Is stuff like Princess Peach Showtime and Mario & Luigi Brothership too late to get a stage?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Most likely by April 2025, 2024 seems a bit too early.
Well they have to announce it by March 2025 at the absolute latest, but I think they'd do it a little earlier than that. If not this fall, the around next January/February.
What new stages do you guys expect in a Smash 6? Is stuff like Princess Peach Showtime and Mario & Luigi Brothership too late to get a stage?
Brothership may be too late. A Showtime stage feels like one of those things they may have planned in advance, but I could be wrong.

Mario Wonder is definitely getting a stage with Wonder effects. Kirby and the Forgotten Land could get something cool. I'm betting on Area Zero from Pokemon S/V. I also expect another Splatoon stage, maybe Scorch Gorge from 3.

I don't know if Tears of the Kingdom would get a stage. They could definitely come up with something cool, like the Depths, but it may look too similar to BOTW. Then again we have two Pokemon Stadiums so I guess it doesn't matter.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
I think for the following games, we’ll get new stages in a new Smash.
  • Pokémon Sword & Shield
  • Luigi’s Mansion 3
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Metroid Dread
  • Kirby & The Forgotten Land
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Splatoon 3
  • Pokémon Scarlet & Violet
  • Fire Emblem: Engage
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Pikmin 4
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
  • A stage from a new 3D Mario
  • Sonic Frontiers
  • Street Fighter 6
There are also a few games I’m divided on, as they may want to keep an older stage, or have alternate choices for a newer stage.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • WarioWare: Move It!

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
There are also a few games I’m divided on, as they may want to keep an older stage, or have alternate choices for a newer stage.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Super Mario Maker 2
I feel like I'd almost prefer a new WarioWare stage come from Get it Together since it takes place inside Wario's new game system, rather than Move It which takes place on an island and will almost certainly be done already by New Horizons, just for the sake of stage variety.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
You guys remember Sakurai’s video on the limited skeletons he has to work with?
That’s why I feel like may be difficult to translate Peppino’s art style and animations to Smash’s 3D style.
It's a complete non-issue. NASB2 Ren & Stimpy exist.

If Ludosity was able to pull this off with a fraction of Smash's budget, then I have no doubt that the Smash devs would be able to make a 3D Peppino work. It wouldn't be easy, but I'm confident it'd be possible. Overwatch uses bendy bones and model breaking in its models and that game released almost a decade ago, so the tech is there to make an insane cartoony fighter actually function in Smash.

Not to mention a lot of the weirdness of Pizza Tower's animations include limbs stretching and/or growing in size. We have that already. Funnily enough, it's most notable on the character Peppino was inspired by.

1724792977606.png
1724792996818.png
1724793039493.png
1724794597652.png

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hollow Knight is not bigger than Undertale my man. Neither is Hades but I will say I think Zagreus is kind of an underrated pick too. Nintendo has surprisingly shown a good deal of investment in it. Was also in the GOTY conversation a few years ago, it definitely has clout.

And for the record, much of that discussion is stemming from the notorious absence of a Hollow Knight game right now. Undertale is also getting a highly anticipated sequel and will be the talk of the town again once the next chapter drops.
Adding to this, Hades also has a sequel partially released that's gotten a lot of acclaim and attention. It's hard to top Undertale's level of notorieity, especially given it's relative recency. Still, Hades is HUGE for an indie, and it's starting to develop into a series in it's own right, so I definitely agree it's a frontrunner for potential indie reps.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I think for the following games, we’ll get new stages in a new Smash.
  • Pokémon Sword & Shield
  • Luigi’s Mansion 3
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Metroid Dread
  • Kirby & The Forgotten Land
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Splatoon 3
  • Pokémon Scarlet & Violet
  • Fire Emblem: Engage
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Pikmin 4
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
  • A stage from a new 3D Mario
  • Sonic Frontiers
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Super Mario Maker 2
You think we'll get both a SWSH and SV stage? interesting :)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, both Unova AND Kalos got stages in Smash 4.
In fairness to this, everything for 4 was decided pretty early on...at a time where Black and White were very recent, even. Meanwhile, assuming the next Smash is getting planned this year at the latest, Sword and Shield are almost five years old.

So there's definitely a larger gap. It could get Hoenn'd.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I’m pretty curious how the Pokemon content gets handled assuming Smash rolls out around the same time as Gen 10. I don’t think a Smash game has needed to account to three missed generations of Pokemon yet. I’m gonna assume newest Gen gets dibs on the new character but I wonder how much love the other two get in the nonplayable field.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
With the extended period between the next Smash and Ultimate, you could argue that SV hit the "dead zone" but honestly, I kinda doubt that Smash 6's drop after a relatively recent release of the Switch 2 would be enough time to cultivate some pokemon locale both popular enough and less recent enough for them to just choose that over just having an already popular SV stage.

Character though, youknow, anyone's guess.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I’m pretty curious how the Pokemon content gets handled assuming Smash rolls out around the same time as Gen 10. I don’t think a Smash game has needed to account to three missed generations of Pokemon yet. I’m gonna assume newest Gen gets dibs on the new character but I wonder how much love the other two get in the nonplayable field.
A lot of new Pokeball summons, maybe a couple stages, and obviously a new character. Who exactly it’ll be depends on the timing of Gen 10 and Smash 6.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Speaking as someone who still thinks Min Min should have been Spring Man, I wonder how it would have gone down if he gotten in instead.

I think a few things might have gone differently if he were chosen...
  • Spring Man radiates more "Protagonist" energy, if that makes sense, and thus would be seen as a less "weird" pick for Smash. Why'd they pick Spring Stadium instead of the Ramen Bowl as a stage? It just makes her feel even more out-of-place than she should be.
  • Min Min's ability to kick, I think, let them more lean into the uniqueness of ARMS use in the game, which I think lead her over the edge in terms of her gimmick. Plus, it gives her both good close and long-range options, which means that overall it feels like she has less weaknesses than she should. Using Spring Man would have made the developers have to think harder on how to differentiate his moves instead of just trying to port over as many mechanics of ARMS as possible.
  • Lastly, being able to break out of AT hell might have given Spring Man some honor that couldn't easily be replicated.
Sometimes I wonder if they might even judge Min Min's current gameplay unsalvageable and replace her with Spring Man. I could see it if they radically redesign Smash Bros next game. Then again, I'm biased for him, as I said, and mostly just think of it as a pipe dream. I wonder how people would react to that...
My thoughts exactly. Ngl, the fact that we got Spring Stadium as Min Min's home stage truly implies to me that Spring Man was, at the very least, AN option (if not, the FIRST option). Like, Sakurai (at the very least) didn't TOTALLY rule him out.

For that matter, I feel the same way in terms of Spring Man giving off the vibe that he'd seem more 'hyped' over the idea of getting to fight folks like Mario and whatnot than Min Min (not that I dislike the latter's inclusion).

With all of that being said, I don't know if Spring Man can (or SHOULD) replace Min Min next Smash game, but I do still feel like Sakurai and the devs should give him another look-see, since it really does feel like timing was what edged him out of a playable appearance...

While we're talking about ARMS, I've decided to continue my write-up on how I think other ARMS characters would work. So far I've gone through Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, and Ninjara. I wanted to get to Master Mummy, but I'm not sure I'll have time to before work. Let me know if there's a change to the formatting that would help make things clearer, or if there's something I didn't explain well enough. Here's what I've got so far:
Here’s a baseline for how Min Min’s ARMS work so I’m not referring to them all the time:
Primary ARM: Dragon
A beam ARM with a fire motif, and the ability to fire beams at the end of your smash attack’s trajectory. This ARM acts as a balanced base for the other ARMS to be compared to, and most glove ARMS will act just like it sans the ability to fire beams. It has moderate speed, angleability, damage, and knockback.

Ram Ram
A curve type ARM with a fire motif. This ARM is speedy, has a wide hitbox due to its trajectory, and has a high level of angleability. It has low damage and knockback.

Megawatt
A heavy ARM with an electric motif that travels slowly, and has poor angleability, but has high damage and knockback.
Degree of Separation: Clone
Due to his boxing motif, Min Min’s kick attacks had to be replaced with punches, which I think changes him enough to make him not an Echo Fighter, but won’t change his overall playstyle too much. I did keep the slide kick though since that feels like something that would mesh well with his personality.

Property Changes:
Upon reaching 100%, Spring Man’s Punch attacks will deal more damage and knockback.

Moveset Changes:
  • Tapped Neutral Attack: Spring Man does a quick, non-committal jab. It can serve to check opponents that get too close, but doesn’t knock them back very far.
  • Dash Attack: A lunging overhand punch with his primary ARM. Animation-wise, this is similar to Little Mac’s dash attack.
  • Up Tilt: A spinning uppercut with his primary ARM similar to Mario’s up tilt animation. Functionally, it’s more or less the same as Min Min’s.
  • Up Smash: An uppercut with a little bit of a hop to it. Once again this acts a lot like Min Min’s, but without the reflective properties.
  • Down Smash: A stomp that produces a ring of blue energy centered around him, expanding outward a short distance before dissipating. The ring is fairly weak in terms of damage and knockback, but it hits on both sides, and reflects projectiles.
  • Up Aerial: An uppercut with his primary ARM that arcs above his head, hitting all enemies above him.
  • Down Aerial: Spring Man does a flip and thrusts his primary ARM downward, spiking opponents with an early hit sweetspot.
ARMS Loadout:
Primary ARM: Toaster
A simple glove ARM with a fire motif. This ARM acts as a balanced base for the other ARMS to be compared to. It has moderate speed, angleability, damage, and knockback.

Boomerang
A curve type ARM with a wind motif. This ARM is speedy, has a wide hitbox due to its trajectory, and has a high level of angleability. It has low damage and knockback.

Tribolt
A multi-shot ARM that fires three projectiles that travel straight forward. It can angle up or down slightly, but rather than curving up or down, it fires the projectiles straight in the direction chosen. This ARM has the Stun attribute, which causes smash attacks to have a lot of hitstun when they connect, allowing one-two punch combos. This property also causes the attack to have extremely low knockback.
The Tribolt’s projectiles have no hitbox on the return back to their base within the glove, but they retract quickly, making the attack quite quick overall. Attacks with the glove deal moderate damage and knockback, but the projectiles deal very low damage and knockback.

Ramifications:
Due to the fact that I’m homogenizing similar ARM types, Spring Man ends up being a lot like Min Min, with the key difference being the lack of a heavy ARM. This means that Spring Man will have to rely on his comeback mechanic for long ranged K.O.s, but due to his access to an ARM with stun, he can at least hit confirm those punches.
Degree of Separation: Echo Fighter

Property Changes:
Ribbon Girl has four midair jumps, though her last three don’t generate much height, and are more for staying in the air than ascending. Her fast fall is also faster than normal. These two traits combined allow her to greatly mix up her fall speed. To balance this out, Ribbon Girl is lighter than the others.

Moveset Changes:
  • Tapped Neutral Attack: A backhand punch with her primary ARM. Good as a get off me tool.
  • Up Smash: A sweep above her with her primary ARM. Has wider range compared to Min Min’s up smash, but doesn’t reflect projectiles.

ARMS Loadout:
Primary ARM: Sparky
A simple glove ARM with an electric motif. This ARM acts as a balanced base for the other ARMS to be compared to. It has moderate speed, angleability, damage, and knockback.

Popper
A multishot ARM with a wind motif that fires two projectiles that spiral outward, creating a tall hitbox near the end of its trajectory (in other words, the space it threatens is cone shaped). It can angle up or down slightly, but rather than curving up or down, it fires the projectiles straight in the direction chosen. The ARM’s attack is quite speedy, but it deals very little damage or knockback.

Slapamander
A whip type ARM with a fire motif, and a sweetspot at the end of its trajectory. The ARM deals a low damage and knockback on the sourspot, but high damage and knockback on the sweetspot, making it mostly only useful at max range. It’s overall speed is moderate.

Ramifications:
Ribbon Girl deviates from Min Min in terms of capabilities fairly decently. Her control over her vertical mobility makes her disadvantage state much better than the other ARMS characters, but her ARMS set makes her a bit more difficult to use. She lacks a heavy ARM, forcing her to get the sweetspot with Slapamander to K.O. from afar, and the lack of a curve ARM makes her neutral not quite as good as Min Min’s, even with Popper’s fairly tall range.
Degree of Separation: Echo Fighter

Property Changes:
Ninjara’s dodge rolls, spot dodge, and air dodge animations consist of him disappearing in a cloud of smoke, and reappearing elsewhere, making the directionality of his dodges ambiguous. In addition, he can dodge roll and spot dodge while in block stun.

Moveset Changes:
  • Ninjara’s up smash is a 540 kick, functioning similarly to Captain Falcon’s up smash.
ARMS Loadout:
Primary ARM: Chakram
A curve type ARM. This ARM is speedy, has a wide hitbox due to its trajectory, and has a high level of angleability. It also has the Stun attribute, which causes smash attacks to have a lot of hitstun when they connect, allowing one-two punch combos. This property also causes the attack to have extremely low knockback. As a result, this ARM will basically never K.O. opponents. The damage and knockback of this arm is low overall.

Buff
A glove ARM with a twist: It grows in size for smash attacks, giving them a bigger hitbox, and dealing a bit more damage and knockback. Aside from that, it’s like any other glove ARM, having has moderate speed and angleability, just with a bit more damage, and knockback for smash attacks.

Triblast
A multi-shot ARM that fires three projectiles that travel straight forward. It can angle up or down slightly, but rather than curving up or down, it fires the projectiles straight in the direction chosen. This ARM has the Explosion attribute, which makes the smash attack version’s projectiles explode when they hit terrain, shields, or opponents, dealing a bit of extra damage. If Ninjara gets hit by a fire attack while charging a smash attack with this ARM, it explodes on him. Ninjara is also vulnerable to regularly triggering explosions that happen too close to him, so it’s best not to use this ARM at close range.
The Triblast’s projectiles have no hitbox on the return back to their base within the glove, but they retract quickly, making the attack quite quick overall. Attacks with the glove deal moderate damage and knockback, but the projectiles deal very low damage and knockback, even accounting for the explosion.

Ramifications:
Ninjara is a bit slipperier than Min Min due to his shield mechanics, but said mechanics also force him to use that slipperiness to avoid shield pokes and shield breaks in scenarios where other characters wouldn’t have to worry.
His ARMS loadout also makes him somewhat of a tricky fighter. Double Chakram is, frankly, ridiculous, but it can never K.O. and doesn’t do a whole lot of damage, so he needs other ARMS to support his offense. Triblast’s explosions make it hard to contest without a reflector, and Buff allows him to K.O. from afar, though it’s not as good at doing so as having a genuine heavy ARM would be.
All in all, Ninjara’s neutral is a tad bit better than Min Min’s, but which ARM you’re using matters a lot more, so you have to learn which to use when to keep opponents from advancing on you.
Wow! No joke, I think your ideas truly help legitimize the idea of us getting MORE ARMS reps into Smash. Like, I think these differences are about as justifiable as the differences the clones of Melee had that allowed players to prefer one over the other.

All in all, I truly think your ideas for Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, and Ninjara differentiate them from Min Min JUST enough that it wouldn't come off as simply "Min Min x4", and at the same time, the workload would be lessened on them just enough.

Since we're talking about it, I figure I should get into an idea that I've had bouncing around in my head for a bit. My preferred angle with BWD has evolved into one that emphasizes his unassuming nature as a Waddle Dee, allowing them to explore the inherent silliness of effectively a playable mook but still giving him the credibility and abilities that we've come to associate with him over the last decade.

In effect, if you've played Samurai Shodown, there is a mechanic where some attacks (either dealt by you or toward you) will force you to drop your weapon and grant you a number of physical attacks to fend off the opponent while you scramble to grab it. We've explored this somewhat, with attacks like K. Rool's Crown Boomerang, but it got me thinking about ways we can elaborate on it further in Smash Bros. And Bandana Dee, with his ability to represent both the character himself and the adorable species he is a part of, as well as the fact that he will often toss his spear, felt like a great fit for this dichotomy.

With his spear in hand, Bandana Dee possesses great range and power. He can attack swiftly, he has a number of strong KO options and likely some sort of subtle tipper mechanic. But certain attacks would provide a risk reward factor, such as his signature spear throw, which has BWD commit fully to letting the spear leave his hands and hoping he's made the smartest decision / given him enough time to grab it back after the fact. Without the spear, BWD will appear nervous and erratic. He is regulated to a few simple attacks with his stubby limbs, not unlike Olimar or SoPo, although perhaps a bit more capable. In this form we kind of get to play as a "normal" Waddle Dee, humorously tripping into opponents but still giving it his all until he can grab that spear once more.

That's kind of the mentality I've developed to give him an interesting hook, allow him to convey quite a unique range of personality and humor and I feel still stay true to the roots of the character and his role within the Kirby series. Alongside his Waddle Dee compatriots... without getting too far into the whole like, props that other Waddle Dees use thing. I'm open to the parasol but my initial instinct would be to try and make him spear exclusive.
Honestly, this is probably a good deal more interesting than my idea for B.W.D. where, in addition to his usual spear attacks + Megaton Punch, I was just going to have him serve as Smash Bros.'s answer to Servbot in Marvel vs. Capcom 2, where some of his attacks would allow the other Waddle Dees of King Dedede's army to assist him in certain attacks, such as a more streamlined version of Waddle Dee Army that acts more like Yoshi's 'Stampede!' F.S. in Ultimate.

Heck, between Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei mentioning how a normal Waddle Dee (like, the ACTUAL Kirby mook) got a relatively notable amount of votes in their poll and the Kirby franchise itself pushing the heck out of the idea of the Waddle Dee species serving as a "co-mascot" of the Kirby franchise alongside the pink puffball himself, perhaps your idea really WOULD be a fascinating compromise to add a normal Waddle Dee into Smash Bros.

If you don't mind me asking this though, would your concept of B.W.D. here have Megaton Punch in his moveset anywhere? Because I was thinking that, in the event that B.W.D. loses his spear and needs to retrieve it, Megaton Punch would be the ONLY reliable attack he'd have in his arsenal without his spear, among the various 'wimpy jabs' and whatnot.

I would like to inform you all that the Japanese Direct revealed a port of the original Tokimeki Memorial bundled with optional remake visuals.

Shiori gang, our time will come. We will win. All 5 of us.
Am I in that gang, by any chance?

Rival Schools and Power Stone got ports.
Wait... does this mean Batsu Ichimonji and Akira Kazama just got a stronger shot for Smash Bros.??

Don't get me wrong, I know 3rd parties being on a Nintendo console isn't a requirement, per se. But given how this is their first NOTABLE debuts on Nintendo consoles (Batsu WAS in Capcom vs. SNK 2, which was on Gamecube after all...)....

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If you don't mind me asking this though, would your concept of B.W.D. here have Megaton Punch in his moveset anywhere? Because I was thinking that, in the event that B.W.D. loses his spear and needs to retrieve it, Megaton Punch would be the ONLY reliable attack he'd have in his arsenal without his spear, among the various 'wimpy jabs' and whatnot.
That’s a good question… maybe as a super committal last ditch effort? Alternatively I think Megaton Punch is is a no-brainer Final Smash prospect, but I guess thst begs the question “why didn’t he just do that before?”

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Majima everywhere

If Ludosity was able to pull this off with a fraction of Smash's budget, then I have no doubt that the Smash devs would be able to make a 3D Peppino work. It wouldn't be easy, but I'm confident it'd be possible. Overwatch uses bendy bones and model breaking in its models and that game released almost a decade ago, so the tech is there to make an insane cartoony fighter actually function in Smash.

Not to mention a lot of the weirdness of Pizza Tower's animations include limbs stretching and/or growing in size. We have that already. Funnily enough, it's most notable on the character Peppino was inspired by.
On one hand, you're correct.

On the other, Peppino literally has over 5000 sprites of animation. And the animations are far more exaggerated than Smash usually does, with Pizza Tower practically living off of squashing and stretching in cartoony ways.

It wouldn't be impossible, but trying to make Peppino feel right would certainly be the most daunting task that Smash's animators have ever had to do for the series. And with how smooth and fluid it all is in Pizza Tower, people would immediately notice if Smash were to cut corners so Peppino truly needs thousands of model alterations to feel like he's been done justice which is probably more than Ultimate's entire roster combined.

It's far saner for the devs to do a Mii outfit and please add a song from it, it'd be so cool.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I have managed to get the poll on R/Pokemon.

I don't actually have much faith for it there. I feel it may be forgotten in the sheer amount of content there, but we're trying.
How many voters are you at? If you get another milestone I can rt but honestly unless other also rt it will get nowhere lol Twitter is garbage

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Since we're talking about it, I figure I should get into an idea that I've had bouncing around in my head for a bit. My preferred angle with BWD has evolved into one that emphasizes his unassuming nature as a Waddle Dee, allowing them to explore the inherent silliness of effectively a playable mook but still giving him the credibility and abilities that we've come to associate with him over the last decade.

In effect, if you've played Samurai Shodown, there is a mechanic where some attacks (either dealt by you or toward you) will force you to drop your weapon and grant you a number of physical attacks to fend off the opponent while you scramble to grab it. We've explored this somewhat, with attacks like K. Rool's Crown Boomerang, but it got me thinking about ways we can elaborate on it further in Smash Bros. And Bandana Dee, with his ability to represent both the character himself and the adorable species he is a part of, as well as the fact that he will often toss his spear, felt like a great fit for this dichotomy.

With his spear in hand, Bandana Dee possesses great range and power. He can attack swiftly, he has a number of strong KO options and likely some sort of subtle tipper mechanic. But certain attacks would provide a risk reward factor, such as his signature spear throw, which has BWD commit fully to letting the spear leave his hands and hoping he's made the smartest decision / given him enough time to grab it back after the fact. Without the spear, BWD will appear nervous and erratic. He is regulated to a few simple attacks with his stubby limbs, not unlike Olimar or SoPo, although perhaps a bit more capable. In this form we kind of get to play as a "normal" Waddle Dee, humorously tripping into opponents but still giving it his all until he can grab that spear once more.

That's kind of the mentality I've developed to give him an interesting hook, allow him to convey quite a unique range of personality and humor and I feel still stay true to the roots of the character and his role within the Kirby series. Alongside his Waddle Dee compatriots... without getting too far into the whole like, props that other Waddle Dees use thing. I'm open to the parasol but my initial instinct would be to try and make him spear exclusive.

I don't think anyone is saying this, thankfully.
This is an utterly terrifying idea for someone who can be punted at 60%.. and yet I'm not entirely opposed to it.

It's basically like whenever Steve doesn't return to his workbench block in a little while, his pickaxe tool will inevitably break from overuse, and he'll be left with mostly puny punches or nothing at all. The funny thing is that Bandana Dee has more than one move that makes him let go of his spear. His regular Waddle Throw, and the vaulting feature of his Ground Thrust move (introduced in Star Allies) which pins his spear into the ground as he launches high into the air. Along with this being one of the more versatile options for his potential moveset, in the context of your idea, he could use this move to bail in a treacherous situation at the cost of leaving his spear behind.

Of course, to help with players guarding the spear, I thought that his Side Special could him involve using a parasol.
This move in particular would be weaker than his spear, but with its signature splash effect, drill feature, and Aqua Shot mechanic (launching a ball of liquid from the parasol), he could at the very least push opponents away long enough to reach his spear while doing adequate amounts of damage in the meantime. He could also float while using his Up-Air move (which would open the parasol above him briefly unless the button is held), functioning similar to Peach/Daisy's parasol move so he could find a safe space to land if needed.

Other than that, he'd be on his own without standard spear moves, Spear Throw, Ground Thrust, or Waddle Copter to help him.

Also, might I add that this is exactly the reason why I've come to actively dislike surface-level thinking when it comes to people assuming Bandana Dee with a 'lack of moveset' potential... because there's quite a lot of potential with a character like him. I mean here, I'll even shamelessly plug the admittedly low-quality video I made regarding just that if you're interested (you can ignore the fanfare at the beginning, though)

Also, an accompanying Doc with extra details.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have exhausted pretty much all of Reddit that I can.

In the effort of being as transparent as possible, here are the subreddits that have the poll, subreddits you won't find the poll on, and maybe some that could appear in the future.

Subreddits Who Have The Poll

• Super Smash Bros
  • Donkey Kong
  • Xenoblade
  • Star Fox
  • Kirby
  • Earthbound
  • Punch Out!!
  • Advance Wars
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Ring Fit Adventure
  • Paper Mario
  • Pokemon
  • Casual Nintendo
  • Panel de Pon
  • Famicom Detective Club

Subreddits Who Said No (Don't bug them)

• Zelda
  • Wii Fit
  • Golden Sun
  • Animal Crossing
  • Nintendo

Subreddits Who Have Not Responded Yet

• Smash Bros
  • Smash Ultimate
  • Pikmin
  • F-Zero
  • Fire Emblem
  • Metroid
  • ARMS
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Mario
  • Splatoon
  • Astral Chain
  • Kid Icarus
  • HotelDusk
  • Wario
  • Yoshi
  • Dragalia Lost
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Mario RPG
  • Mario and Luigi

I have no clue if there are any other subreddits to even take this thing to. I don't want to post the poll without permission. There were some other possibilities like Starfy, Sin and Punishment and Wonderful 101, but those subreddits are so small or inactive. Some of them haven't seen posts in years.

I think Reddit is done for the most part. Unless some of the subreddits who haven't answered yet answer, I think its time to move on to a new website.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I have exhausted pretty much all of Reddit that I can.

In the effort of being as transparent as possible, here are the subreddits that have the poll, subreddits you won't find the poll on, and maybe some that could appear in the future.

Subreddits Who Have The Poll

• Super Smash Bros
  • Donkey Kong
  • Xenoblade
  • Star Fox
  • Kirby
  • Earthbound
  • Punch Out!!
  • Advance Wars
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Ring Fit Adventure
  • Paper Mario
  • Pokemon
  • Casual Nintendo
  • Panel de Pon
  • Famicom Detective Club

Subreddits Who Said No (Don't bug them)

• Zelda
  • Wii Fit
  • Golden Sun
  • Animal Crossing
  • Nintendo

Subreddits Who Have Not Responded Yet

• Smash Bros
  • Smash Ultimate
  • Pikmin
  • F-Zero
  • Fire Emblem
  • Metroid
  • ARMS
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Mario
  • Splatoon
  • Astral Chain
  • Kid Icarus
  • HotelDusk
  • Wario
  • Yoshi
  • Dragalia Lost
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Mario RPG
  • Mario and Luigi

I have no clue if there are any other subreddits to even take this thing to. I don't want to post the poll without permission. There were some other possibilities like Starfy, Sin and Punishment and Wonderful 101, but those subreddits are so small or inactive. Some of them haven't seen posts in years.

I think Reddit is done for the most part. Unless some of the subreddits who haven't answered yet answer, I think its time to move on to a new website.
Did r/CasualNintendo rejected it too?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
This is an utterly terrifying idea for someone who can be punted at 60%.. and yet I'm not entirely opposed to it.
I feel like they'd just have to be able to make up for it with Bandana Dee's strong distancing options otherwise. Just kind of making him a beast from a safe distance, having some of the most lethal poke attacks in the game, so this way if you leave yourself vulnerable it's kinda just your fault.

Also, might I add that this is exactly the reason why I've come to actively dislike surface-level thinking when it comes to people assuming Bandana Dee with a 'lack of moveset' potential... because there's quite a lot of potential with a character like him. I mean here, I'll even shamelessly plug the admittedly low-quality video I made regarding just that if you're interested (you can ignore the fanfare at the beginning, though)
This moveset is pretty good! Seeing the mod in action helped convince me that the parasol can seamlessly work into his kit and not feel too out of place. Admittedly, I'm a bit unsure of the Aqua Shot because I would like to avoid giving Bandana Dee additional projectile options. Even though this one wouldn't be the most powerful or anything, I'd rather incentivize the player to keep their distance using the spear and avoid giving them an option for camping out. Using the parasol to rush forward on its own is fine by me, though.

But yeah, if Dee loses the spear, he should be forced to approach. Which means the parasol lunge would be sort of a risk in its own right, putting him closer toward his opponent with the knowledge that he doesn't have many other strong options to follow through with. I think that gels nicely with the general philosophy and avoids giving BWD an out that renders the risk / reward factor less relevant.

Top Bottom