• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
With mai shiranui's new design with the tight leather pants i now move to wanting her to join smash in that outfit.
I don't know what I think about it. I've always seen her in her traditional outfit so something this different was a flashbang to me.

Or maybe that was intern-kun's obsession with the zoom feature during the trailer. Either way I haven't had time to get used to it.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
With mai shiranui's new design with the tight leather pants i now move to wanting her to join smash in that outfit.

Do a trailer similar to Ken and Incineroar where they reveal two characters at once and have the other be Chun Li.
No more excuse anymore Sakurai... she deserves playable status.

ShotoStar

Smash Apprentice
Honestly if we keep getting more indie content I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a Freddy Fazbear mii costume next time.
I still unironically really really really want an Among Us Mii Costume with color swaps like the Bomberman Mii Costume. I know the game isn't nearly as popular as it used to be but the idea is still so funny and I think it could very well with Mii Swordfighter. I bring this up in relation to Freddy Fazbear since they're both viewed as meme picks and they both could work very well, Freddy as a brawler would probably be the way to go imo

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I mean... Kinda? She'd probably be behind characters like Kyo, Iori, Nakoruru and a Metal Slug character.
I mean, even within Fatal Fury itself... Geese and Rock are right there.

Mai would definitely be a cool pick, but, uh, yeah the choice for a 2nd SNK character isn't exactly an easy one lol.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
One thing that really benefits Funky Kong on Swamps poll is he was right next to Dixie alphabetically. So the people seeking out Dixie to vote her will see Funky and easily vote for him as well.

I'd be curious to see how a poll like Swamps would look on a large scale, like on the 10k scale.

Hoping Dee got first regardless

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Honestly if we keep getting more indie content I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a Freddy Fazbear mii costume next time.
I’d love to see indie games get some more content in Smash. Even if we don’t get a character, some indie games have some awesome songs that would be great for Smash. I just beat the demo of this game but the boss music is pretty amazing:

Are there any songs from indie games you’d like to hear in Smash?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
My obvious answer would be a lot of tracks from Touhou, so I'll refrain from picking the easy answer lol

So instead I'll go with ANOTHER easy answer and say I would love if Pizza Tower music somehow got into Smash, especially The Death That I Deservioli and stage themes like Extraterrestrial Wahwahs and Yeehaw Delivery Boy.

Pizza Tower has such an amazing soundtrack all around, I would genuinely advocate for Peppino and a PT stage JUST for the music selection it could bring.

I would include Undertale/Deltarune too, but those might actually happen considering Toby and Sakurai know each other and Undertale's pretty influential lol

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The indie games that I've gotten sucked into recently are the Ori series and Hollow Knight. Both have very pretty, very atmospheric soundtracks, so it's hard to pinpoint songs that would work for Super Smash Bros., but Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark is one of the few songs (besides the main themes) that have seared themselves into my brain, so if we got Ori music, I'd hope for that track.

As for FNaF, so many people suggest Smashing Windshields, but 240 Bits Per Mile is far superior. Both probably deserve a remix, but I vastly prefer the latter on its own. DJ Music Man is also worth mentioning, as while it takes a bit to get going and is fairly simple since it's a seamless multi-phase song, it's still a bop.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Damn near any track from Undertale/Deltarune. Hopefully we get a character to accompany that music :nifty:
The amount of joy I would experience if I heard this in a Smash trailer...

cashregister9

Smash Hero
This is entirely off topic of anything, but it is driving me crazy and google continues to be unhelpful

anyone have a link to the full set of the old Spring Man and Decidueye leak? I know there were multiple videos and images of this leak but all I can find are Youtube commentaries about it, incomplete sets and dead links.

I also remember a leak with Pokefloats but I cannot remember if that was part of the same Spring Man Decidueye leak or not.

If I ever hear this song in any capacity related to smash, I may actually die on the spot from peak

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sure, nobody did. But you know if Rock got in, a certain somebody would be flipping all over the world compared to if Mai got in.
Max got his MvC collection! It's someone else's turn to be happy!

Whoever says Geese is not as popular as Mai is lying through their teeth.
Anyone that thinks Geese is as popular as Mai is delusional.

Last edited:

ShotoStar

Smash Apprentice
I’d love to see indie games get some more content in Smash. Even if we don’t get a character, some indie games have some awesome songs that would be great for Smash. I just beat the demo of this game but the boss music is pretty amazing:

I'll go a little further here and provide specific remixes and composers that I'd like to see for indie songs -- because music in Smash is a topic I've thought a lot about over the years;

1.) BIG SHOT (Deltarune) Remixed by: Hideaki Sakamoto (Smash remixes: Main Theme - Pikmin, Vs. Klungo, Snake Man Stage)

2.) Nyeh Heh Heh! / Bonetrousle (Undertale) Remixed by: Masafumi Takada (Smash remixes: Afternoon on the Island, Mappy Medley, Main Theme - Banjo--Kazooie)

3.) Death by Glamour (Undertale) Remixed by: Yoko Shimomura (Smash remixes: Kass's theme, Vega Stage, Moonstriders 1st, Cosmo Canyon)

4.) Cave Story (Cave Story) Remixed by: Kumi Tanioka (Smash remixes: Snakey Chantey, Molgera, Main Menu - Wii Fit)

5.) Every Day is Night (VA-11 Hall-A) Remixed by: Yuzo Koshiro (Smash Remixes: Tiger! Tiger!, Guile Stage, Toys on a Tear, Psycho Soldier Theme)

And some bonus songs that I don't really need to be remixed and/or particularly want remixed as the former are songs that I just enjoy seeing new takes on (and the VA-11 Hall-A song being necessary as a remix but would be lovely)

6.) Beloved Tomboyish Girl (Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil)
7.) Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke (Touhou 8: Imperishable Night)
8.) Flowering Night (Touhou 10.5: Scarlet Weather Rhapsody)
9.) Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion (Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism)
10.) World's End Valentine (OMORI)

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I mean... Kinda? She'd probably be behind characters like Kyo, Iori, Nakoruru and a Metal Slug character.

According to an SNK character popularity poll taken from 2018 (by Japanese voters), whilst Mai is only one place below Nakoruru, she is ahead of Kyo and Iori.

Will say that Mai is considered as one of the popular characters within the SNK franchise.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
One thing that really benefits Funky Kong on Swamps poll is he was right next to Dixie alphabetically. So the people seeking out Dixie to vote her will see Funky and easily vote for him as well.

I'd be curious to see how a poll like Swamps would look on a large scale, like on the 10k scale.

Hoping Dee got first regardless
that doesn't sound right. it sounds like you're saying that people only voted for funky cause he was next to who they really wanted. surely there will be people who saw him there and thought "meh" and moved on?

Your Contract has Expired (a hat in time)
Thunder Harvest (spiritfarer)

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero

According to an SNK character popularity poll taken from 2018 (by Japanese voters), whilst Mai is only one place below Nakoruru, she is ahead of Kyo and Iori.

Will say that Mai is considered as one of the popular characters within the SNK franchise.
I'm glad Athena made the top 10. She'd be my personal choice for a new SNK character.

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
I'm kind of partial to Jotari's Sigurd concept myself.

I mean I doubt the Smash team would implement all of the concepts presented here but I like the idea.
Oh yay, praise for me. When I first posted that it didn't get much of a reception. People thought it was overly weird. But I do genuinely think if a character like that was implemented he would do awful on tier lists but would dominate casual play.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Okay it's never gonna happen but let's say we got smash ultimate booster pass like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe got and it was six total fighter pass with six characters for a total of 36 new fighters, not including any echoes, what would your list look like? In no particular order...
1. Waluigi
2. Shantae
3. Dante
4. Professor Layton
5. Phoenix Wright
6. Dr. Eggman
7. Shadow
8. KOS-MOS
9. Ayumi Tachibana
10. Doom Slayer
11. Bandanna Waddle Dee
12. Marina Liteyears
13. Goemon
14. Conker
15. Takamaru
16. Nia
17. Mio
18. Geno
19. Shovel Knight
20. Sans
21. Travis Touchdown
22. Crash Bandicoot with Coco Echo
23. Rayman
24. Isaac
25. Chibi Robo
26. 2B with A2 echo if it'll work
27. Master Chief
28. Lloyd Irving
29. DJ Octavio
30. Ashley
31. Lip
32. Monika (DDLC)
33. Akira Howard
34. Tinkaton
35. Ring Fit Trainer
36. Bomberman
Okay, I'll give this a try.
  1. Pauline
  2. King Boo
  3. Waluigi
  4. Dixie Kong
  5. Ashley & Red
  6. Kamek
  7. Dragapult
  8. Iron Valiant
  9. Bandana Waddle Dee
  10. Adeleine
  11. Midna
  12. Twintelle
  13. Krystal
  14. Amazon Pandora
  15. Takamaru
  16. Starfy
  17. Karate Joe
  18. Isaac
  19. Ayumi Tachibana
  20. Andy
  21. Savvy Stylist
  22. Urban Champion
  23. Arcade Bunny
  24. Dovahkiin
  25. Athena Asamiya
  26. Crazy Dave
  27. Gargantuar
  28. Ky Kiske
  29. Dizzy
  30. Narmaya
  31. Rintaro Okabe
  32. Shadow the Hedgehog
  33. Maxwell
  34. Scorpion
  35. Morrigan Aensland
  36. Raiden Shogun

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Hello, i'm back! (It's also been about one year since i joined!)

About Mai:
I think she would be an interesting fighter, altrough, i'm not sure if i'd call her likely, even through i'm sure Terry will return, i think they might go for Nakoruru for a 2nd SNK rep, i'm not sure about the chances of a 2nd SNK rep too, doesn't sound that unlikely but also not that likely either.

Now that we're talking about indies i want to say that i think that Hollow Knight and Hades have a decent (not a super big chance or anything, but decent enough) chance.
Those two games are pretty popular and have a cult following, plus they have upcoming sequels (I'm unsure if Hades 2 is out yet? I think it isn't) as well

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Hello, i'm back! (It's also been about one year since i joined!)

About Mai:
I think she would be an interesting fighter, altrough, i'm not sure if i'd call her likely, even through i'm sure Terry will return, i think they might go for Nakoruru for a 2nd SNK rep, i'm not sure about the chances of a 2nd SNK rep too, doesn't sound that unlikely but also not that likely either.

Now that we're talking about indies i want to say that i think that Hollow Knight and Hades have a decent (not a super big chance or anything, but decent enough) chance.
Those two games are pretty popular and have a cult following, plus they have upcoming sequels (I'm unsure if Hades 2 is out yet? I think it isn't) as well
I’ve never played either but they both look pretty fun. I also think the designs for the Knight and Zagreus are pretty cool so that’s a plus too.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
As cool as Mai would be, I'd much rather see other SNK franchises get their first Fighter before Fatal Fury gets a 2nd one.
For some reason, I never really played any SNK games beyond Fatal Fury arcade machines for a few minutes. I’m definitely open to getting new Smash characters I don’t know much about because it’s been a long time since I’ve been unfamiliar with a newcomer. It was pretty fun learning about characters and franchises through Smash.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Terry has great moves!

I also think Sephiroth would be a neat base for Alucard...
Yeah that would work great too. I think Sephiroth a cool base for Magus since they both have a floating run, long ranged weapon, and magic attacks. Funny enough, a lot of his moves also fit Ganondorf more than Ganondorf’s current moveset does (in my opinion at least).

Last edited:
Top Bottom