• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Don't want to be a contrarian, but I kinda wonder what a worldwide popularity poll would look like for SNK. I don't doubt Mai would still rank pretty high, but y'know. Regional tastes tend to vary from time to time, so we might have some different results.

I'm especially interested in where the poll might go if it was taken today; Since this poll, Terry's in Smash AND now Street Fighter, KOF XV did pretty damn well if I recall correctly, and Garou: City of the Wolves is coming up soon, so that's a substantial amount of attention that SNK's been getting. I wonder if that influx of new fans might affect the results at all.
Iori would get a boost from LATAM.
Mai might stay the same or go up a spot from SEA.
idk for Europe, Canada, UAE, etc.
Metal Slug would maybe finally get someone on the board.
World Heroes fans would pull a Dino Crisis.
US would ask what an SNK is. :4pacman:

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I love World Heroes! I wonder if adding any of those characters to the KOF series (which they should've already done by this point) would help boost its popularity too.
If I remember correctly, wasn't there a KOF voting thing where one of the options for future characters was a World Heroes rep? It was awhile ago, so I don't remember the details.

ShotoStar

Smash Apprentice
Looks like a direct is coming sooner than expected.

Probably the Switch Successor announcement is Sept-Oct.
Hmm... That's rather interesting, I don't think we'd see it in August as Stealth says "this month" but he might also be referring to "this month" as in the general timeframe of now to Sep 21st which I could see a Direct happening between now and then. It's already been two months since the last one so having another one three-four months after the last seems typical of Nintendo. I wonder what they have to talk about beyond already revealed games and ports though, I imagine most of the big new projects will be saved for the next console assuming it really does release in 2025. Maybe Wind Waker HD/Twilight Princess HD ports and maybe a B-tier Nintendo project like an FE4 remake or a new lowkey Kirby game. NSO updates perhaps as well

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't think we'd see it in August as Stealth says "this month" but he might also be referring to "this month" as in the general timeframe of now to Sep 21st which I could see a Direct happening between now and then
If it's "a departure from their usual Direct in September" I can't see it really meaning a 30 day timespan, just next week.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
If I remember correctly, wasn't there a KOF voting thing where one of the options for future characters was a World Heroes rep? It was awhile ago, so I don't remember the details.
That'd be interesting if it's true! I hope it finally happens eventually, though I hope it won't be just one character. Maybe a team of Hanzou, Fuuma, and, I guess, Ryoko.

Noipoi

Howdy!

A Nintendo direct? At this time of year, two months from the June direct, one month away from the usual September release period, localized entirely within the last week of August?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
A Nintendo direct? At this time of year, two months from the June direct, one month away from the usual September release period, localized entirely within the last week of August?
Yes! May you see it? ...Maybe. Depending on what Nintendo announces next week.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Kyo is like THE KoF protagonist.
Kyo was the very first protagonist of the series and has been longer than all the others.
Ah. I guess I just didn't notice from my outsider's perspective. He didn't seem to be more important than the others in KoFXV (there was the protag lineup image, but the more I think about it the more I realize Ashe is the only one I remember being on there), and what I did see of him was extremely uninteresting.

EDIT: I am also mixing up Kyo with Ryo...That probably doesn't improve my optics, but it does explain some things. lol

OK where do you keep finding this gorgeous Pokémon artwork? I'm starting to get jealous.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Good news everyone.

My write up for the poll results are done.

All visual aides are done.

Tomorrow morning, I will post the results for all the see. I just want to post it when there will be more traffic (and I'll be awake to solve any problems that occur).

In the mean time...

IS THAT A JOJO REFERENCE?!?!?

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
Good news everyone.

My write up for the poll results are done.

All visual aides are done.

Tomorrow morning, I will post the results for all the see. I just want to post it when there will be more traffic (and I'll be awake to solve any problems that occur).

In the mean time...

IS THAT A JOJO REFERENCE?!?!?

So Twintelle won the ARMS poll? Interesting. And you can barely see Ribbon Girl in fourth, and Dr. Coyle taking ARMS’ Bronze medal.

Did Isaac get the same amount of votes as her?

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman

Correct me if im wrong, didn't they say that an announcement would be minimum in March 2025 or something like that? (I have fish memory sometimes, i don't remember it well).

Honestly I’d want Metal Slug if anything more SNK
I agree, Marco would be cool to see, plus Metal Slug is so diferent from anything we have in Smash in terms of characters.

I should never be in charge of what SNK character gets in next because I would either choose my favorite KOF/Fatal Fury characters (May Lee Jinju or Rock Howard) or Mars People

Actually I would probably go with Mars People

Seems like the type of unexpected character Sakurai would add as an Assist Trophy,

Also, how do you guys feel about a Tales of rep?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Correct me if im wrong, didn't they say that an announcement would be minimum in March 2025 or something like that? (I have fish memory sometimes, i don't remember it well).

I agree, Marco would be cool to see, plus Metal Slug is so diferent from anything we have in Smash in terms of characters.

Seems like the type of unexpected character Sakurai would add as an Assist Trophy,

Also, how do you guys feel about a Tales of rep?
I’d love a Tales character in Smash. I started playing the series with Symphonia and since then I’ve completed Abyss, Symphonia 2, Vesperia, Xillia, Xillia 2, Zesteria, Berseria, and Arise and I’ve watched the modern Tales anime. I’m a pretty big fan of the series. Lloyd is probably the most likely but I’m pretty meh on him as a character personally. My most wanted Tales characters are Alphen/Shionne or Velvet but there’s a lot of great options.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
oh yeah that’s so rare in gaming

#sarcasm
What are some other examples that came before her? I know the protagonist from FFXVI does but he came after. Velvet also has really unique weapons on top of her demon hand that makes her stand out even more.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What are some other examples that came before her? I know the protagonist from FFXVI does but he came after. Velvet also has really unique weapons on top of her demon hand that makes her stand out even more.
you’ll have to give me a release date to work with

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
August 18, 2016. Nightmare from Soul Calibur has a demon arm too but I don’t think he eats people with it.
huh. From the way you worded it I thought it was gonna be much older. And yes nightmare doesn’t eat people but he does feed souls to his sword

Gengar84

Smash Hero
huh. From the way you worded it I thought it was gonna be much older. And yes nightmare doesn’t eat people but he does feed souls to his sword
Interesting that they’re both Bandai-Namco characters. It’s hard to think of too many others. Velvets also just a really cool character with an engaging backstory and really fun gameplay. I think she’d stand out in a great way compared to the rest of the cast in Smash. I’m also a really big fan of Shionne from Tales of Arise. She’s another character with great development throughout the story and has a lot of unique gameplay traits of her own and a really cool design.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Interesting that they’re both Bandai-Namco characters. It’s hard to think of too many others. Velvets also just a really cool character with an engaging backstory and really fun gameplay. I think she’d stand out in a great way compared to the rest of the cast in Smash. I’m also a really big fan of Shionne from Tales of Arise. She’s another character with great development throughout the story and has a lot of unique gameplay traits of her own and a really cool design.
yes but there’s loads of NB characters who stand out on the roster from a gameplay perspective. Let’s not forget their library of characters includes an armoured orange trex on steroid armed with dragon slaying claws that can slice giant death bots like an onion. And he can also harness the power of the earth and use it to make a sun to throw at people

Gengar84

Smash Hero
yes but there’s loads of NB characters who stand out on the roster from a gameplay perspective. Let’s not forget their library of characters includes an armoured orange trex on steroid armed with dragon slaying claws that can slice giant death bots like an onion. And he can also harness the power of the earth and use it to make a sun to throw at people
Digimon would be cool too, I’m not arguing against that. Just trying to make the case that Velvet and Shionne could be really fun and unique themselves. It seemed like you were being a bit dismissive of Velvet earlier.

Top Bottom