• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DKing

Smash Apprentice

According to an SNK character popularity poll taken from 2018 (by Japanese voters), whilst Mai is only one place below Nakoruru, she is ahead of Kyo and Iori.

Will say that Mai is considered as one of the popular characters within the SNK franchise.
Still surprised no metal slug characters didn't make the list.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm glad Athena made the top 10. She'd be my personal choice for a new SNK character.
I think Athena is underrated. She’s rich in SNK history, would represent an interesting new fighting style and has been fighting alongside Terry in KOF for 30 years. If we were fortunate enough to get more SNK I believe she’d be a really great choice… we already got her theme song beautifully arranged for Smash too!

If you held me at gunpoint I’d probably say it’s between her and Geese. My personal choice from SNK at large would be Marco / Fio or Haohmaru, but if we wanted to expand specifically on the FF / KOF side those two feel like the most viable options.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
Geese would be funny just to see the people that complain about a quarter circle for Hadouken in Smash react to the goddamn pretzel.

I wouldn't be able to do it myself viably, but it'd still be hilarious.
The pretzel is hilarious but for a brief moment that move list looked like a tower that Geese could fall off of. As he does.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The pretzel is hilarious because it looks significantly harder than it actually is. It's just the beginning and the end that are weird.
It's easier to do if you consider it 3 half-circle inputs, the last of which you input A+C halfway through.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
If we get Geese, I think he should be held for DLC. Then in his fighter pack, all the music consists of the many iterations of the "for Geese" theme.

The big question is: what would the new Smash arrangement (,maybe arrangements,) be called?
There's no shortage of condiments out there to add before "for Geese" in a song title.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
There's no shortage of condiments out there to add before "for Geese" in a song title.
Doesn't even need to be limited to condiments, the old old themes were stuff like "A Kiss for Geese" and "Stiff Shoulders for Geese."

I definitely prefer the condiment/food related ones though.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If we get Geese, I think he should be held for DLC. Then in his fighter pack, all the music consists of the many iterations of the "for Geese" theme.

The big question is: what would the new Smash arrangement (,maybe arrangements,) be called?
Sweet & Sour Sauce for Geese

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Borskaboska

Smash Apprentice
I have a smash opinion. Though, this isnt really something I think smash should do so much as something I thought about seeing other platform fighters struggle between doing their own thing and just copying smash. Also keep in mind I know next to nothing about game design or fighting game balance.
I think back airs are kinda weird. In fighting games, Jumping is meant to be a risk reward option. You give up your movement and defensive options and become open to strong anti air attacks from your opponent, and in return you gain access to mix ups and can dodge most moves and projectiles. Additionally, in traditional fighting games facing away from your opponent is a bad thing. I mean, in most of the cases you automatically face your opponent, so the only time your back would be turned to them is when you've been knocked down and they got behind you before you could get up so are already in a bad spot, but still. If you face away from your opponent it means they are out of range of most your attacks and you can't defend most of theirs.

So I find it weird how in smash, sometimes your best option is to jump at your opponent backwards. Like i see footage of games online and people will back jump like 5 times in a row, because back air is the strongest normal in a lot of cases. And honestly i just think its weird from a diegetic perspective, like nobody would willingly turn around in a fight much less jump backwards. I think if the opponent gets behind you while your in mid air, that should be your weakest position. You should become mulch. Not whatever jigglypuff is doing.

So yeah I wouldn't mind if a smash-like game just removed back airs, and in return added some other aerial option like jumping charge attacks or an air parry or something. How wrong am I? Is this a gross misunderstanding of the balance of smash? Am I stupid?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I have a smash opinion. Though, this isnt really something I think smash should do so much as something I thought about seeing other platform fighters struggle between doing their own thing and just copying smash. Also keep in mind I know next to nothing about game design or fighting game balance.
I think back airs are kinda weird. In fighting games, Jumping is meant to be a risk reward option. You give up your movement and defensive options and become open to strong anti air attacks from your opponent, and in return you gain access to mix ups and can dodge most moves and projectiles. Additionally, in traditional fighting games facing away from your opponent is a bad thing. I mean, in most of the cases you automatically face your opponent, so the only time your back would be turned to them is when you've been knocked down and they got behind you before you could get up so are already in a bad spot, but still. If you face away from your opponent it means they are out of range of most your attacks and you can't defend most of theirs.

So I find it weird how in smash, sometimes your best option is to jump at your opponent backwards. Like i see footage of games online and people will back jump like 5 times in a row, because back air is the strongest normal in a lot of cases. And honestly i just think its weird from a diegetic perspective, like nobody would willingly turn around in a fight much less jump backwards. I think if the opponent gets behind you while your in mid air, that should be your weakest position. You should become mulch. Not whatever jigglypuff is doing.

So yeah I wouldn't mind if a smash-like game just removed back airs, and in return added some other aerial option like jumping charge attacks or an air parry or something. How wrong am I? Is this a gross misunderstanding of the balance of smash? Am I stupid?
I get what you mean, but Smash isn't an exclusively 1-v-1 game. From its inception, the 4-player mode was always something they kept in mind. Plus, it's not a traditional ground focused game either. Smash is the way it is because it's not a standard 2D fighter, it's in its own sub-genre that at this point is pretty well defined (and finally being iterated on by other devs.)

I think your idea would be interesting to see, but unless you go for a strictly 1v1 game I feel like you sort of need to be able to account for multiple opponents potentially being behind you at any given moment.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord

If an enemy teleports behind you, you'd want to have an option available to deal with that.

I get that jumping backward at your enemy is kind of weird diegetically, but I just view it as a way to access a character's "alternate forward air". There's a lot of wacky stuff in Smash anyway, I think backward approaches are the least of concerns here.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think this will reveal the Switch's lineup for the second half of 2024 along with some teases of the Switch 2.
We kind of already have the line up for late 2024.

We have a Zelda game and a Mario & Luigi game. They have the holiday season well stocked.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While my guess is still towards a Direct next month, either way I could see it largely detailing games we already know with maybe 1-2 reveals for something in the first three months of 2025. Whatever remakes (Prime 2, Prime 3, FE4) Nintendo's still sitting on I could see popping up in this.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
We kind of already have the line up for late 2024.

We have a Zelda game and a Mario & Luigi game. They have the holiday season well stocked.
Yeah, Echoes of Wisdom is late September, Super Mario Party Jamboree is October, Brothership is November, DKCR in January, and unknown dates for Prime 4 and Legends ZA beyond "2025".

SharkLord

Smash Hero

According to an SNK character popularity poll taken from 2018 (by Japanese voters), whilst Mai is only one place below Nakoruru, she is ahead of Kyo and Iori.

Will say that Mai is considered as one of the popular characters within the SNK franchise.
Don't want to be a contrarian, but I kinda wonder what a worldwide popularity poll would look like for SNK. I don't doubt Mai would still rank pretty high, but y'know. Regional tastes tend to vary from time to time, so we might have some different results.

I'm especially interested in where the poll might go if it was taken today; Since this poll, Terry's in Smash AND now Street Fighter, KOF XV did pretty damn well if I recall correctly, and Garou: City of the Wolves is coming up soon, so that's a substantial amount of attention that SNK's been getting. I wonder if that influx of new fans might affect the results at all.

Top Bottom