• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm just hoping this means I can actually talk about Funky without constantly getting the words "Echo Fighter" and "Dixie Kong" shoved down my throat.
Well I have bad news about who got second.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I’m gonna be real here. I don’t get the Pauline hype. Yeah, it was neat she appeared in Odyssey. But that’s about it.
1724191569020.png

When in doubt, it's always the power of Waifus. :2gud:
---
Semi-joking aside, in all honesty, I think there were a number of factors behind Pauline's popularity:
  1. Very catchy song that she sings. Obviously that helps a bit.
  2. This is basically her biggest return to main game appearance after her original Donkey Kong appearance. And besides Mario Kart, main game appearances tend to be a big driving factor in recognizability and popularity.
  3. Pauline was basically stuck in spinoff games, being the Mario & Donkey Kong games before her main appearance in Odyssey and she's basically what alot of people wish Nintendo would do with characters from spinoffs. There are only 3 spin-off characters that have become a huge part of Mario history, being Daisy, Wario and Waluigi and only 1, technically 2, of them has ever made an official appearance in a main game. Daisy's appearance in Super Mario Bros. Wonder and Wario's appearance in Super Mario 64 for the DS, but he hasn't appeared in a non-remake main game yet.
    People want to see characters like Mona and Ashley from WarioWare, Paper Mario partners like Goombella, Parakarry, Bombette, etc, Mario RPG characters like Geno, Mallow or Fawful, and whatnot. Pauline is one of the first characters to escape Mario spin-off hell and appear in a big main Mario game, so I wouldn't be surprised if some people rallied behind her to try to inspire Nintendo to bring more spinoff characters into the main games or at the very least, into a new Mario Kart game.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
DK getting some great results, you love to see it. Astonished that Funky got higher placement than Dixie, but happy all the same.

WOW, Smash fans REALLY love Donkey Kong Country.
What can I say? The Kongs are appealing characters.

I think a noteworthy thing to bring up is that DK is the closest series Nintendo has to a traditional comedy, other than maybe Luigi's Mansion or Punch-Out. Warioware exists but that's more focused on the offbeat Japanese "brand" of comedy, as opposed to DK's more slapstick approach.

Point is, people like seeing funny characters, which is a niche that Smash could always use more of. The fact that all of the characters are well-regarded and can easily stand on their own also helps.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As popular as he is, he's also decently controversial, to the point where people treated him like "he who shall not be named" to avoid starting an argument. So given that, it makes perfect sense why he's not the most popular Mario character.

I'm just hoping this means I can actually talk about Funky without constantly getting the words "Echo Fighter" and "Dixie Kong" shoved down my throat.
If he's added as a full fighter I will take it.

I'll just spoil who won.

It's Chunky.
Chunky won.
And they said dead men tell no tales.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Dixie Kong and Funky Kong are top 2 and top 3 characters on the poll, then the number 1 character is obviously Swanky Kong.
Upon seeing the image and thinking about it for more than two seconds, I have come to the following implications:
  1. He has no teeth, and replaced them with silver dentures.
  2. He actually takes great care of his teeth, aside from the fact that he had them silver plated.
I don't know which is funnier. lol

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord

ShotoStar

Smash Apprentice
The majority of votes came from Discord and Twitter.
Wait, really? That's interesting... I guess maybe Toad has just gained more popularity than I imagined. I didn't know that, I'll admit that my perception was off. I disagree with the want for Toad but I can't deny his apparent popularity which does make sense given his prominence in the Super Mario series as opposed to my personal want w/Geno. Still, would be interesting to see how much all of this would change if a bigger poll was circulated of say 10k+ participants instead. I'd be interested if this would still be the case or if any placements would change

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The spots for Dixie and Funky make sense to me. She's the natural next character for a prominent Nintendo IP and he's got a great design on top of the fandom from stuff like Mario Kart. It was actually the Tropical Freeze port that had me really thinking about his potential as his moves (while clearly being heightened versions of what we saw with the other Kongs) at least give him an identity gameplay wise that he didn't have before.

Of course, it will all turn out to be a moot point as it will no doubt be revealed Ossan of NES Golf and Captain Rainbow fame got the number 1 vote, but still.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I do have a question regarding the poll Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei

Who was the most requested character NOT on the poll?
Either Tibby from Rhythm Heaven or Donkey Kong Jr. I missed those.

Or perhaps more notably. Markiplier.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Kudos to Swamp Sensei for taking the initiative and doing this entire poll. It's always nice to have new discussions about character popularity with even some data to go off of and it's to their credit that they put the work in as far as getting actual results. Especially with Smash Ballots potentially not happening again and ones on other sites being mixed between first/third parties and non-video game characters, having a purely Nintendo variation is definitely appreciated just for the reactions revealed.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
yeah it doesn't make sense to combine votes for Toad and Capt Toad because of how many people voted for both of them. I'd be interested, though, to see how many people voted for at least one of them, if that is countable.
Exactly. Also Toadette.

I don’t see anyone challenging me for that title.
That depends. Do YOU have a complete Living Pokedex?

Nope. If he comes, he should still be an Echo.

Echo status has nothing to do with popularity. It has to do with similarity to the original character. Funky rocking the poll doesn't make him any less similar to DK.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
Honestly if we keep getting more indie content I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a Freddy Fazbear mii costume next time.
I just hope the movie being released in Japan is "good enough" for adding classic FNAF content given how games not relased in Japan get ignored in Smash.

Otherwise we'd have to settle for Glamrock Freddy. :wario:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Either Tibby from Rhythm Heaven or Doney Kong Jr. I missed those.
I'm not the only one who mentioned Tibby was missing?

TIBBY GANG, RISE UP! WE CAN TAKE THE TOP SPOT AMONG RHYTHM HEAVEN CHARACTERS IF WE TRY! THERE ARE DOZENS OF US OUT THERE, I JUST KNOW IT!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Exactly. Also Toadette.

That depends. Do YOU have a complete Living Pokedex?

Nope. If he comes, he should still be an Echo.

Echo status has nothing to do with popularity. It has to do with similarity to the original character. Funky rocking the poll doesn't make him any less similar to DK.
Did YOU beat Pokemon RBY 100+ times from start to finish? I played those games nonstop with my friends back in the day and we used to play little elimination games writing down every Pokemon on a piece of paper and randomize the numbers and we took turns guessing random numbers and crossing out the number until we were left with only one Pokemon. We used GameShark to start a new playthrough with that Pokemon and kept going until we had almost every Pokemon. We played through multiple times for our favorite Pokemon. I only have just over 1,000 hours between Gens 8 and 9 but I used to play a lot more back in the day.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
With mai shiranui's new design with the tight leather pants i now move to wanting her to join smash in that outfit.

Do a trailer similar to Ken and Incineroar where they reveal two characters at once and have the other be Chun Li.
Honestly, Mai's new design is now safe enough for good boys and girls.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei
I need to ask since (IIRC) you mentioned the site in your thread for the poll, did you get any responses from 4chan users at all? I am morbidly curious on what any of them would've chosen.
I've spent enough time on /v/ Smash threads to know what they want is...normal Smash community stuff. And Dunsparce.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei
I need to ask since (IIRC) you mentioned the site in your thread for the poll, did you get any responses from 4chan users at all? I am morbidly curious on what any of them would've chosen.
No. I haven't gone there yet.

I've been saving that for... reasons.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
IMG_2992.jpeg

3RD PARTY COMPANIES! LET THE SMASH TEAM COOK WITH THIS KIND OF FEATURE AND MY LIFE IS YOURS!

Top Bottom