• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

ShotoStar

Smash Apprentice
Okay. The write up is done. The visual aides are taking a lot longer than expected and they're having some slight technical issues.

So uh... I'm going to use this as a test to see if the technical issues are fixed.

If not, ignore. If it works, do with the information as you may. You should expect nearly every franchise to have something similar.

EDIT: Oh goodie it works!
It's very weird to me that Geno is fifth place for the Super Mario series. I could understand and respect him being behind Paper Mario and Waluigi (although I think Geno is maybe overall more popular of a request than Paper Mario on a multitude of factors; PM being a 3rd Mario, PM's series being handled divisively, PM being a lot less storied of a request than Geno, etc.) but Geno being behind Toad and Captain Toad is... hmm... interesting. I think that's because of the culture built up on this site regarding "deserving characters" and "missing slots". This poll is very interesting but a larger pool of participants would factor into more accurate results regarding the entirety of the Smash fanbase. This poll seems to be mostly like what SmashBoards specifically wants. Still an interesting experiment and worthy of doing I say so by all means I intend no negativity to you or the poll, just my personal thoughts.

Okay it's never gonna happen but let's say we got smash ultimate booster pass like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe got and it was six total fighter pass with six characters for a total of 36 new fighters, not including any echoes, what would your list look like? In no particular order...
1. Waluigi
2. Shantae
3. Dante
4. Professor Layton
5. Phoenix Wright
6. Dr. Eggman
7. Shadow
8. KOS-MOS
9. Ayumi Tachibana
10. Doom Slayer
11. Bandanna Waddle Dee
12. Marina Liteyears
13. Goemon
14. Conker
15. Takamaru
16. Nia
17. Mio
18. Geno
19. Shovel Knight
20. Sans
21. Travis Touchdown
22. Crash Bandicoot with Coco Echo
23. Rayman
24. Isaac
25. Chibi Robo
26. 2B with A2 echo if it'll work
27. Master Chief
28. Lloyd Irving
29. DJ Octavio
30. Ashley
31. Lip
32. Monika (DDLC)
33. Akira Howard
34. Tinkaton
35. Ring Fit Trainer
36. Bomberman
I do think something like this is unlikely of happening, or at least in this manner of replicating the Booster Course Pass of MK8DX -- primarily because of that DLC using repurposed assets and this would not be able to do that -- but I would like to see an extended DLC lifecycle for next game to be comparable to Ultimate's roster by the end of support so I'll bite. Here's what I would do;

1.) Zhongli (Genshin Impact)
2.) Dante (Devil May Cry)
3.) Bomberman (Bomberman)
4.) Geno (Super Mario)
5.) Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
6.) Sami (Advance Wars)

7.) Kiryu Kazuma (Like a Dragon)
8.) Monokuma (Danganronpa)
9.) 2B (Nier:Automata)
10.) Ring Fit Trainee (Ring Fit Adventure)
11.) Zagreus (HADES)
12.) Ray MK II (Custom Robo)

13.) Midna & Wolf Link (The Legend of Zelda)
14.) Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)
15.) Doom Slayer (DOOM)
16.) Heracross (Pokemon)
17.) Kyo Kusanagi (The King of Fighters)
18.) Estelle Bright (Trails in the Sky)

19.) Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
20.) Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
21.) Rhythm Reporter (Rhythm Heaven)
22.) Yoshimitsu (SoulCalibur)
23.) Resalin Stout (Atelier Ryza)
24.) Lyn (Fire Emblem)

25.) Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
26.) Dr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedeghog)
27.) Beatrice (When They Cry)
28.) Saki Amamiya (Sin & Punishment)
29.) Dark Matter (Kirby)
30.) Chun-Li (Street Fighter)

31.) Don-Chan (Taiko no Tatsujin)
32.) Tom Nook (Animal Crossing)
33.) Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
34.) Y'shtola (Fnal Fantasy)
35.) Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo!)
36.) Gordon Freeman (Half-Life)

With this I tried to factor in newcomers from Base Game that I think are likely and tried to avoid re-adding the inevitable cut veterans to make something wholly distinct. Some "base game newcomers" that I accounted for are; Waluigi, Impa and/or Tingle, Bandana Dee, Meowscarada or New Gen Pokemon, A New Fire Emblem character (non-Lyn), New Xeno character, Legionis ("Officer Howard"), Isaac, Soulborne character (Malenia from Elden Ring being my pick) Ryu Hayabusa and Sans

Noipoi

Howdy!
And now it’s time for Noipoi’s Pokemon Post of the Day!

While we don’t have an exact release date yet, between upcoming TCG data, the absence of a standard August presents, and a lack of information at the Worlds Championships, all the evidence points to Z-A releasing in summer 2025 at the earliest and fall at the latest.

Meaning we probably aren’t seeing anything about the game until next Pokémon Day in February of next year. Meaning it is very, very (very) unlikely that we get the 10th generation in the same year.

Meaning it would then come out in 2026 instead, which just so happens to be the 30th anniversary year of the entire franchise.

Y’know, like I’ve been saying this whole time? :239:

I really just wanted to brag but to keep this on topic, predicting the next game’s obligatory Pokemon is still a bit strange.

It could be argued that this improves Gen 9’s chances, but it doesn’t guarantee a Pokemon from Paldea. If Gen 10 came out in November and then the next Smash came out in December 2026 we could still see a Gen 10 Pokemon on the roster. They’d just be cutting it very close. And it’d have to involve some shenanigans where Sakurai got concept art for the new games really early or something.

Just some thoughts from the resident pocket monster fanboy :nifty:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

While we don’t have an exact release date yet, between upcoming TCG data, the absence of a standard August presents, and a lack of information at the Worlds Championships, all the evidence points to Z-A releasing in summer 2025 at the earliest and fall at the latest.

Meaning we probably aren’t seeing anything about the game until next Pokémon Day in February of next year. Meaning it is very, very (very) unlikely that we get the 10th generation in the same year.

Meaning it would then come out in 2026 instead, which just so happens to be the 30th anniversary year of the entire franchise.

I really just wanted to brag but to keep this on topic, predicting the next game’s obligatory Pokemon is still a bit strange.

It could be argued that this improves Gen 9’s chances, but it doesn’t guarantee a Pokemon from Paldea. If Gen 10 came out in November and then the next Smash came out in December 2026 we could still see a Gen 10 Pokemon on the roster. They’d just be cutting it very close. And it’d have to involve some shenanigans where Sakurai got concept art for the new games really early or something.

what makes you think you're the resident fan boy?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Which means if the next Smash has started development and releases before Gen X, then Gen 9’s chances for a newcomer are still there!

Noipoi

Howdy!
what makes you think you're the resident fan boy?
IMG_9311.gif

I don’t see anyone challenging me for that title. Most Smash fans are rather dismissive of the franchise, actually.
Which means if the next Smash has started development and releases before Gen X, then Gen 9’s chances for a newcomer are still there!
Exactly, Paldea isn’t off the table yet.

Of course none of us will know how it’ll go down until the game actually comes, which is still years off.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I feel like a poll being restricted to an insular hardcore community would in theory only benefit Geno. Idk that Geno fans would want to see the Toad vs. Geno matchup in a more casual-oriented poll.
Thing is, Geno was never a world-beater on ballot-era polls, either, and even then was probably only able to do as well as he did because certain other options were visibly hurt on fan polls by NPC status in Smash 4 (Waluigi, Ridley, etc.). His standing here is not really that surprising. Or at least, I wouldn't be throwing the results into question just because Toad edged out Geno. Honestly, I'm kind of more surprised that another pick like King Boo or Pauline didn't scratch top 5, and that the pack was even as close as it was to Waluigi (though I guess the format is going to make runaways a bit harder, and even still Waluigi was the clear leader).

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
It could be argued that this improves Gen 9’s chances, but it doesn’t guarantee a Pokemon from Paldea.
You're right.
They'd be from a redeveloping Lumiose City. :wario:

Though memes aside, even if Gen 10 is too far outside the "window" when the project proposal for Smash was drafted, I'd sooner expect something original to the upcoming Z-A instead of doing what's not been done since :pt: and going with already released games (and notably it was the Gen 1 remakes and not Gen 3, and :lucario: happened anyway) (also notably the 10th anniversary of the franchise was on the way when Brawl's roster was being drafted, much like the 30th is presumed for the next Smash, meaning the hypothetical new Pokémon fighter may not even be a "new" Pokémon at all.... :094:)

I still firmly stand by an original Paldean Pokémon (i.e. not something like Scream Tail as an easy Echo) missing the window unless the next Smash is already damn near complete by now and had started drafts as early as October of 2021 post :ultsora: but pre-ScarVio. Paldea already got its acknowledgement through the Spirit Event for Ultimate just like Galar did during the DLC period. I do not see it getting getting much more than the standard music tracks and Poké Ball summons next go round.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I feel like a poll being restricted to an insular hardcore community would in theory only benefit Geno. Idk that Geno fans would want to see the Toad vs. Geno matchup in a more casual-oriented poll.
Thing is, Geno was never a world-beater on ballot-era polls, either, and even then was probably only able to do as well as he did because certain other options were visibly hurt on fan polls by NPC status in Smash 4 (Waluigi, Ridley, etc.). His standing here is not really that surprising. Or at least, I wouldn't be throwing the results into question just because Toad edged out Geno. Honestly, I'm kind of more surprised that another pick like King Boo or Pauline didn't scratch top 5, and that the pack was even as close as it was to Waluigi (though I guess the format is going to make runaways a bit harder, and even still Waluigi was the clear leader).
Frankly, for all the hype she gets, Pauline did terribly. She didn't even break 100 votes.

Noipoi

Howdy!
You're right.
They'd be from a redeveloping Lumiose City. :wario:

Though memes aside, even if Gen 10 is too far outside the "window" when the project proposal for Smash was drafted, I'd sooner expect something original to the upcoming Z-A instead of doing what's not been done since :pt: and going with already released games (and notably it was the Gen 1 remakes and not Gen 3, and :lucario: happened anyway) (also notably the 10th anniversary of the franchise was on the way when Brawl's roster was being drafted, much like the 30th is presumed for the next Smash, meaning the hypothetical new Pokémon fighter may not even be a "new" Pokémon at all.... :094:)

I still firmly stand by an original Paldean Pokémon (i.e. not something like Scream Tail as an easy Echo) missing the window unless the next Smash is already damn near complete by now and had started drafts as early as October of 2021 post :ultsora: but pre-ScarVio. Paldea already got its acknowledgement through the Spirit Event for Ultimate just like Galar did during the DLC period. I do not see it getting getting much more than the standard music tracks and Poké Ball summons next go round.
Hey that’s more than possible, and I wouldn’t say no to, say, a new Pokémon or a new form introduced in Z-A. Or even an older Pokemon they got a new mega.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Exactly, Paldea isn’t off the table yet.

Of course none of us will know how it’ll go down until the game actually comes, which is still years off.
I can't wait for this to end up being a repeat of Smash 4 speculation where we'll all talk about Meowscarada, Ogerpon, and the like like how we used to about Victini vs Zoroark, only for it to end up being a Gen 10 Pokemon that was selected from concept art like how Greninja was in Smash 4.

Irony aside, I think they'd want a bigger gap between the game's release date and a character in Smash so they can actually be marketed, because even with Greninja's case as precedent, X and Y came out in October 2013 and Greninja was revealed in April 2014.

Like they COULD add a Gen 10 Pokemon regardless as long as Sakurai gets concept art, but new Pokemon generations have been November releases for ages (I think Sun and Moon started the trend and SwSh and SV followed suit), so wouldn't be surprised to see it come out in November 2026 and if Smash comes out that year then I don't think they'd be able to market the Pokemon newcomer at all, which I imagine Pokemon Company no likey lol

Course if Smash comes out in 2027 then this is a moot point and a Gen 10 Pokemon is likely, but yeah lol

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Assuming you mean Smash 4 DLC, if I remember correctly, Geno support was at a low point there, so it makes sense that he wasn't placing super high back then

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think Geno's placement can be explained by a few things.

1. Waluigi is just one of the most popular Nintendo characters in general left. Naturally he's going to be super high.
  2. Paper Mario just had a remake of their most beloved game to great success propping him up.
  3. Toad got perhaps the best helping hand any character could get. He had a major role in a major Hollywood picture. I'm willing to bet this helped Kamek a lot too.
  4. The format of the poll helps characters people like, but aren't their favorites. Everyone kinda likes Toad, so they probably threw him a vote because they'd be okay with him showing up. If the poll had ranked choices, or had limited choices, Geno would probably fare better. Geno fans are REALLY dedicated to the guy, so they'll prioritize him by a lot. But he's not a character people generally say... "yeah, that'd be cool," like Toad. Funky Kong kind of proves this rule, because everyone likes Funky Kong, he's just not many's favorite. And that's why Funky Kong... of all characters got third in the entire poll. :4diddy:

Geno is popular, frankly. His score is pretty good. It's not top twenty good, but I think he slipped into the top thirty. I'll have to check. For the record, I think anyone from the top fifty could be considered popular.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

It might be too early for Gen 10. The Project Plans for Smash 4 and Ultimate I believe were decided in 2012 and 2016 respectively, while I think the Smash 6 project plan was decided either this year or last year.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Funky Kong kind of proves this rule, because everyone likes Funky Kong, he's just not many's favorites. And that's why Funky Kong... of all characters got third in the entire poll. :4diddy:
1724189591960.png

You said Funky Kong was doing surprisingly well, but I didn't think he was doing that well. I mean, yay, go Funky Kong, but still.

I guess the people long for Funky the Main Monkey.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
Frankly, for all the hype she gets, Pauline did terribly. She didn't even break 100 votes.
I’m gonna be real here. I don’t get the Pauline hype. Yeah, it was neat she appeared in Odyssey. But that’s about it.

1. Waluigi is just one of the most popular Nintendo characters in general left. Naturally he's going to be super high.
  2. Paper Mario just had a remake of their most beloved game to great success propping him up.
  3. Toad got perhaps the best helping hand any character could get. He had a major role in a major Hollywood picture. I'm willing to bet this helped Kamek a lot too.
  4. The format of the poll helps characters people like, but aren't their favorites. Everyone kinda likes Toad, so they probably threw him a vote because they'd be okay with him showing up. If the poll had ranked choices, or had limited choices, Geno would probably fare better. Geno fans are REALLY dedicated to the guy, so they'll prioritize him by a lot. But he's not a character people generally say... "yeah, that'd be cool," like Toad. Funky Kong kind of proves this rule, because everyone likes Funky Kong, he's just not many's favorite. And that's why Funky Kong... of all characters got third in the entire poll. :4diddy:

Geno is popular, frankly. His score is pretty good. It's not top twenty good, but I think he slipped into the top thirty. I'll have to check. For the record, I think anyone from the top fifty could be considered popular.
IMG_1221.jpeg

Yesterday it was Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Tomorrow it will be Smash 6.

Funky getting BRONZE in the poll is surprising. Either Mario Kart Wii nostalgia is strong for Funky, or Smash fans just really, REALLY like Donkey Kong Country. We saw it with K. Rool on the ballot, and Dixie and Funky on this poll.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

or maybe, just maybe, Toad is a force to be reckoned with!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I know Funky being so high raises some eyebrows, but the majority of the results are pretty expected.

I think that many people just think positively of Funky Kong.
It was surprising but in retrospect it absolutely tracks.

Funky is genuinely the type of character that most people DO like, but just doesn't get brought up a lot for one reason or another. And that helps a ton for a poll like this. More than anything else, I think that the poll would serve as a good indicator for choices that would leave the least amount of people upset, if that makes sense.

In other words, if Funky did get in, it's hard to imagine very many people being like, actually mad about it. And it's very easy to imagine a lot of people being happy about it, even if it wasn't a character they were specifically asking for. A general crowd pleaser.

Top Bottom