• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Here's something gameplay related.

In Smash 4 Roy got a Brawl style retooling and decloning to separate himself from Marth. He was still clearly a Marth clone, but he was still very different from his Melee self.

Now that Ultimate has given this new Roy some extra refinement, do you think they did an adequate job with his decloning? Is he unique enough to be valuable? :roymelee::4feroy::ultroy:
I know he's supposed to fight up close, but with PMEX letting me play as both PM and SSBU Roy, I swear his new animations nerf his range compared to the closer-to-Marth ones in PM. I also wish 4/Ultimate Roy had PM's nair and down smash, where they're full-on speeeens instead of quickly slashing in front of and behind him. That down smash is partially why I have Roy set as my PM main.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
Anyone got any cool stage ideas for a future Smash game? Here's some I've had for a while.

A stage based on Area Zero from Pokémon: Scarlet & Violet could be interesting. I could see it playing either like 3D Land (moving stage) OR Hollow Bastion (moving background), taking you through the multiple levels of the sparkly cave, with several Paradox Pokémon showing up in the background. I also see something similar in the event a stage based on the land, skies, and depths of Hyrule from TOTK.

A Bowser stage in general would be awesome. They could make it based on the classic bridge and axe combo from the 2D games, where occasionally have an axe show up, and the bridge collapses when someone attacks it, meaning you could fall in for a moment. Or maybe have a stage based on World Bowser from 3D World, with fun amusement park obstacles all in the way of the battle. A stage based on Castle Bowser from Wonder is also a possibility, with the weird, green goop in tow. But how does that explain playing as Bowser on that stage? ...Just say it's a copy made from the Wonder Flower or something, I dunno-

The Lor Starcutter could make for a stage similar to the Cloud Sea of Alrest, taking fighters through different level backgrounds from the Kirby series while fighting on the ship. Of course, there would be cameos from Magolor and other major & minor players from the series in this scenario.

Last one from me for now: Any industrial areas/levels would be nice. A new version of Wily Castle where you go IN the castle, or maybe a Chemical Plant or Press Factory stage. Anything.

Tell me what you've got! ...or not, it's fine either way-
Bowser's Castle, Wondaria Dream Parade, and Studiopolis Zone are my top picks for new stages.

Regarding stage layouts, I hope we see some smaller stages with competitive-type layouts, but that still have interesting things going on. Just because a stage does something weird doesn't mean it should be banned; just look at Randall. Predictable movement, a set pattern, and relatively unobtrusive; now that's a cool stage element that sets Yoshi's Story apart. Wackier stage gimmicks have their place too, but I just want to see a little restraint on a stage hazard for once.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Bowser's Castle, Wondaria Dream Parade, and Studiopolis Zone are my top picks for new stages.

Regarding stage layouts, I hope we see some smaller stages with competitive-type layouts, but that still have interesting things going on. Just because a stage does something weird doesn't mean it should be banned; just look at Randall. Predictable movement, a set pattern, and relatively unobtrusive; now that's a cool stage element that sets Yoshi's Story apart. Wackier stage gimmicks have their place too, but I just want to see a little restraint on a stage hazard for once.
You know, I actually like the idea of fighting in a middle of a parade, if that is really where it takes place.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Here's something gameplay related.

In Smash 4 Roy got a Brawl style retooling and decloning to separate himself from Marth. He was still clearly a Marth clone, but he was still very different from his Melee self.

Now that Ultimate has given this new Roy some extra refinement, do you think they did an adequate job with his decloning? Is he unique enough to be valuable? :roymelee::4feroy::ultroy:
It's interesting but to melee fans back then they were already different enough to hear my wife and her friends talk about it but to me they were always pretty much the same except Roy had a better neutral b cause flames! But in 4 and definitely Ultimate not only is the reverse tipper a thing, it "makes sense" because of how he olds and swings his sword.

I think having 4 characters use Dancing Blade is weak sauce but I think these types of similarities would be next to consider revamping.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Anyone got any cool stage ideas for a future Smash game? Here's some I've had for a while.

A stage based on Area Zero from Pokémon: Scarlet & Violet could be interesting. I could see it playing either like 3D Land (moving stage) OR Hollow Bastion (moving background), taking you through the multiple levels of the sparkly cave, with several Paradox Pokémon showing up in the background. I also see something similar in the event a stage based on the land, skies, and depths of Hyrule from TOTK.

A Bowser stage in general would be awesome. They could make it based on the classic bridge and axe combo from the 2D games, where occasionally have an axe show up, and the bridge collapses when someone attacks it, meaning you could fall in for a moment. Or maybe have a stage based on World Bowser from 3D World, with fun amusement park obstacles all in the way of the battle. A stage based on Castle Bowser from Wonder is also a possibility, with the weird, green goop in tow. But how does that explain playing as Bowser on that stage? ...Just say it's a copy made from the Wonder Flower or something, I dunno-

The Lor Starcutter could make for a stage similar to the Cloud Sea of Alrest, taking fighters through different level backgrounds from the Kirby series while fighting on the ship. Of course, there would be cameos from Magolor and other major & minor players from the series in this scenario.

Last one from me for now: Any industrial areas/levels would be nice. A new version of Wily Castle where you go IN the castle, or maybe a Chemical Plant or Press Factory stage. Anything.

I've got a weirdly specific hankering for a Mappy stage

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"Not only" are the operative words here, acknowledging its prior existence. Basically saying "Not just this, but also that"
I get that, but when he said he thought Marth and Roy were pretty much the same in Melee, I think he didn't know he always had reverse tippers.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Nothing’s stopping you now. I get not wanting non gaming characters but if dropping the series would excite you that much, why keep playing?
Obsessive compulsion.

God I want a big budget modern one piece fighter so bad, if its a traditional anime fighter or something like smash either way.
I want One Piece FighterZ so bad. But we'd probably just end up with another trash arena fighter.

I've put some thought into who'd I'd pick for the roster, the problem is that if you have a starting size of like 30 (which is pretty big for most fighting games already), the strawhats alone would take up 1/3 of that just by themselves. And there's like a hundred other important characters that need to get in too.
If it were up to me, I'd limit the launch roster to pre-timeskip characters. Save post-timeskip for DLC.

The Strawhats(with all their pre-timekip powers up through Shabondy)
1. Luffy
2. Zoro
3. Usopp
4. Sanji
5. Nami
6. Chopper
7. Robin
8. Franky
9. Brook

Major Arc Villains
10. Buggy
11. Kuro
12. Don Krieg
13. Arlong
14. Mr. 3
15. Wapol
16. Crocodile
17. Enel
18. Rob Lucci
19. Moria
20. Magellan

Misc
21. Ace
22. Blackbeard (Banero Island version)
23. Kuma
24. Boa Hancock
25. Mr. 1
26. Bon Clay
27. Ivankov
28. Kaku
29. Smoker
30. Foxy

He's got a sword that turns into an elephant, that's just bad ass. Not even to mention what he could do with calling in the other cp9 agents as assists or starting a buster call for an instant kill super.
Most of CP9 deserves to be their own fighter.

The Davy Back Games are what got me to drop One Piece
That sucks. Cause the arc right after it is, like, the best arc in the series.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I get that, but when he said he thought Marth and Roy were pretty much the same in Melee, I think he didn't know he always had reverse tippers.
I was never really able to tell even though I knew while playing that was the mechanic... But I probably would have noticed eventually if I put any kind of time into it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
How the HELL do you see WFT as gimmicky and complex?
Gimmicky: Header, Deep Breathing, Better off stage than on somehow.
Complex: Header, Awkward hitbox placement.

Again, this is without any solid criteria so it's probably very biased.

Re: Bosses

It is hilarious how much of the Smash fandom reminds me of Xenoblade 3’s Moebius Z. And it would be a cool boss in general.

Also, the theatre aesthetic could make it a nice meta joke if they wanted to as a boss. Also seeing reveal trailers on a big screen while fighting Z would be neat if they chose to do that.
I hate Z's boss fight. 5 very long phases that you have to beat in one take, and phase 1 is extremely tedious if you have to do it more than once. If they put it in Super Smash Bros. they need to make some alterations.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Alright, what bosses do you want for the next smash? I think that's an under discussed topic. my picks are:
I want Ganon, Marx, Dracula, and Rathalos to return. I want Fury Bowser to replace Giga Bowser. And I want:

Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross [Star Fox]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Safer∙Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]
Astaroth [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You know who I think could make pretty cool bosses for Smash? Abobo from Double Dragon, either Andore or Abigail from Final Fight, and Mr. X from Streets of Rage.
I don't understand why people ask for normal-sized humanoids like this or Akuma as Bosses.

If the dev goes to all that trouble making them, why wouldn't they just make them a Fighter?

I can picture Abobo being either an AT or a stage hazard.
Abobo would make a great AT.

Last edited:

Borskaboska

Smash Cadet
If it were up to me, I'd limit the launch roster to pre-timeskip characters. Save post-timeskip for DLC.
The Strawhats(with all their pre-timekip powers up through Shabondy)
1. Luffy
2. Zoro
3. Usopp
4. Sanji
5. Nami
6. Chopper
7. Robin
8. Franky
9. Brook

Major Arc Villains
10. Buggy
11. Kuro
12. Don Krieg
13. Arlong
14. Mr. 3
15. Wapol
16. Crocodile
17. Enel
18. Rob Lucci
19. Moria
20. Magellan

Misc
21. Ace
22. Blackbeard (Banero Island version)
23. Kuma
24. Boa Hancock
25. Mr. 1
26. Bon Clay
27. Ivankov
28. Kaku
29. Smoker
30. Foxy
Well if we are just agreeing to got this off topic, i guess now I have to give my roster picks...
Note, obviously the cast should be as big as possible, this is me trying to make one at my most conservative expectations:
Base roster:
Strawhats: Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Ussop, Sanji, Chopper

Strawhat Allies: Ace/Sabo (My idea is that there would be a groove style system where you can switch between pre and post timeskip versions of characters, and post timeskip Ace would become Sabo), Hancock, Yamato, Carrot, WhiteBeard, Law, Kid, Garp

Villains:
Enel, Crocodile, Buggy, Lucci, Big Mom, Kaido, Katakuri, Doflamingo, Spandam, Blackbeard, Akainu

DLC (In order of importance
Season 1: Robin, Franky, Mihawk , Kaku, Aokiji
Season 2: Brook, Jinbe, Arlong, Foxy, Kizaru
Season 3: Smoker, Vivi, Mr. 1, Fujitora, Megalan
Season 4: Perona, Ryukugyu, Lilith, King, Bonney

Am I going to hell for selling the strawhats as DLC? Yes. I am still tempted to cut Sanji in exchange for Wapol. There is no saving me

Realistically, Gear 5th would probably be its own character, some of the important movie characters like Shiki or Uta would get in, and there would be some 21 style original character with some hyper specific devil fruit ability that is able to justify having all the characters fight each other.

I don't understand why people ask for normal-sized humanoids like this or Akuma as Bosses.

If the dev goes to all that trouble making them, why wouldn't they just make them a Fighter?
You could say the same thing about assist trophies like Alucard or Zero.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Too much focus on Classic Sonic stages from everyone, there are more modern stages that would make great stages.

A stage from Unleashed or Colours would be fun to see. Rooftop Run, Eggmanland, Tropical Resort, and Planet Wisp all have unique aesthetics going on.
|I love that your idea of modern are from games 16 and 14 years old respectively

I'm convinced this whole ESRB thing is brought up as rage bait. There's no way y'all are seriously entertaining the idea of cutting Samus, Ness, and all the Fire Emblem characters. It's just kinda cringe when this is brought up as an actual thing that will impact the game's content.
that's nothing. wait til smash 6 is announced and all the really insane users come back

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
My 30 characters One Piece fighting game roster:
Luffy
Zoro
Nami
Usopp
Sanji
Chopper
Robin
Franky
Brook
Jinbe
Ace
Whitebeard
Mr. 2
Vivi
Law
Kidd
Aokiji
Kizaru
Akainu
Foxy the Silver Fox
Buggy
Arlong
Crocodile
Eneru
Lucci
Doflamingo
Katakuri
Kaido
Big Mom

As for stages... I'd really like:
Bramble Blast from DKC2. The brambles hurt you and there's a bunch of barrel cannons that can either save you or shoot you on the brambles.
Stone Tower Temple from Majora's Mask. By hitting the switch you flip the arena upside down. There's a pool of water that becomes empty when you flip it, if you're inside it as the temple gets flipped the water's flow pushes you into the abyss. Garos and Gibdos appear in the background.
Sanctuary Fortress from Metroid Prime 2. The giant elevator where you fight Dark Samus in particular is a very memorable location.
Paradise Line from Mother 1. You fight on top of the train, seeing towns and rural fields in the background. Sometimes the train stops and you can walk on the ground, where mad cars and crazy hippies can sometimes attack you.
Battle Theater from Paper Mario. The audience throws items at you. You can increase the chance of getting a good item by taunting. You can destroy parts of the stage.
Green Plant - Spiral from F-Zero GX. A classic F-Zero moving stage. Spiral is easily the most gorgeous track of the game imo.
Click Clock Wood from Banjo-Kazooie. Seasons pass as you fight, changing the stage's layout. Leaves fall, the lake dries up, etc.
City Escape from Sonic Adventure 2. In my opinion this is one of the most iconic non-Green Hill stages in the series, it's crazy it doesn't have a stage. You'd fight on a slope and the giant truck would sometimes run through the stage.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You could say the same thing about assist trophies like Alucard or Zero.
Well, no. Because Assist Trophies only have, like, 2 moves.

Bosses have much more fleshed out mechanics, movesets and animations. If you was to put in all the development that would be neccesary to make Akuma a Boss, you've done, like, 90% of the work needed to make him a Fighter. It'd be pointless NOT to make him a Fighter at that point.

The same thing can't be said for ATs.

I’d be pretty hyped if they brought back Tabuu.
I don't care about Smash OC Bosses. But at this point, I'd certainly rather see and old one return then see them try and make up yet ANOTHER new one.

They could make it so that Tabuu absorbed Galeem and Dharkon after Ultimate. And has returned with a new form that has a couple Galeem wings and a couple Dharkon tentacles.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m a huge anime fan but I could never really get into One Piece. I’m just not really big on the character design. Maybe I should give it another shot.

If we’re talking about our dream Smash clone roster from our favorite IP, I’ll make one myself for the TMNT. I’ll try to keep it to 40 characters but there are tons more I’d love if there was no limit.

TMNT Smash roster:
1) Leonardo
2) Raphael
3) Michelangelo
4) Donatello
5) April O’Neil
6) Casey Jones
7) Splinter
8) Shredder
9) Krang
10) Karai
11) Rocksteady and Bebop
12) Baxter Stockmsn
13) The Rat King
14) Leatherhead
15) Metalhead
16) Fugitoid
17) Rahzar and Tokka
18) Agent Bishop
19) Hun
20) Renet
21) Jennika
22) Koya and Bludgeon
23) Ocho
24) Alopex
25) Angel Bridge
26) Old Hob
27) Slash
28) Ray Fillet
29) Mondo Gecko
30) Sally Pride
31) Baron Draxum
32) Zog
33) Chrome Dome
34) Tiger Claw
35) Venus Demilo
36) Genghis Frog and Napoleon Bonafrog
37) Scumbug and Antrax
38) Dirtbag and Groundchuck
39) Zak, Dask, and Kala
40) Superfly

Last edited:

Borskaboska

Smash Cadet
I’m a huge anime fan but I could never really get into One Piece. I’m just not really big on the character design. Maybe I should give it another shot.

If we’re talking about our dream Smash clone roster from our favorite IP, I’ll make one myself for the TMNT. I’ll try to keep it to 40 characters but there are tons more I’d love if there was no limit.

TMNT Smash roster:
1) Leonardo
2) Raphael
3) Michelangelo
4) Donatello
5) April O’Neil
6) Casey Jones
7) Splinter
8) Shredder
9) Krang
10) Karai
11) Rocksteady and Bebop
12) Baxter Stockmsn
13) The Rat King
14) Leatherhead
15) Metalhead
16) Fugitoid
17) Rahzar and Tokka
18) Agent Bishop
19) Hun
20) Renet
21) Jennika
22) Koya and Bludgeon
23) Ocho
24) Alopex
25) Angel Bridge
26) Old Hob
27) Slash
28) Ray Fillet
29) Mondo Gecko
30) Sally Pride
31) Baron Draxum
32) Zog
33) Chrome Dome
34) Tiger Claw
35) Venus Demilo
37) Scumbug and Antrax
39) Zak, Dask, and Kala
40) Superfly
[/spolier]
I never got into TMNT besides occasionally watching the old 2012 show, and god to an outsider theses characters sound insane. Bonafrog? Scrumbug????

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I never got into TMNT besides occasionally watching the old 2012 show, and god to an outsider theses characters sound insane. Bonafrog? Scrumbug????
Scumbug. But yeah, a lot of them have pretty funny names lol. TMNT was originally created as a parody of Daredevil, which is why the Foot clan is called what it is in reference to the Hand in Daredevil. The series has gone back and forth from a really silly tone to a darker and more serious tone over the years so a lot of the goofier names originate from that silly side.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Realistically, Gear 5th would probably be its own character, some of the important movie characters like Shiki or Uta would get in, and there would be some 21 style original character with some hyper specific devil fruit ability that is able to justify having all the characters fight each other.
I just REALLY don't want a OPFZ to have the same problem as DBFZ, where half of the DLC is just alternate versions of Goku/Vegeta.

At MOST, a character should only get 2 slots. A pre-timeskip version, and a post-timeskip version. And that's only for characters with a significant presence in both parts. Like the Strawhats or Blackbeard.

Maybe a few characters can get an "Endgame" version. But not until the series is finally over, and all of their powerups have been revealed.

I mean...if you're an outsider, these characters should make you go "Why are all these renaissance painters and ethnic musical styles fighting each other?"

Last edited:

Borskaboska

Smash Cadet
I just REALLY don't want a OPFZ to have the same problem as DBFZ, where half of the DLC is just alternate versions of Goku/Vegeta.

At MOST, a character should only get 2 slots. A pre-timeskip version, and a post-timeskip version. And that's only for characters with a significant presence in both parts. Like the Strawhats or Blackbeard.

Maybe a few characters can get an "Endgame" version. But not until the series is finally over, and all of their powerups have been revealed.
If pre/post timeskip versions were separate characters, then a roster of 30 would really not be enough. All 10 strawhats would take up 2/3 of the thing.
My idea was it would be like CvS grooves, on the character select you could choose "Paradise" or "New World", and they'd have different stats and abilities. New World versions would have an extra jump and an observation parry technique, but Paradise versions would build up super meter faster and the ability to dodge roll (or something like that).

Some characters would have moveset changes depending on the version, like Paradise Luffy would have Gear 2 as an install super and Gear 3 as super moves, while New world Luffy would always have Gear 2 active and weaker versions of his Gear 3 supers would be mapped to special moves, and his new supers would be his Gear 4 techniques. But otherwise they would share their normal moves. Then you'd have characters like Ussop whod basically be entirely different.

Although there is a dedicated thread to non-smash crossover ideas so I don't want to get too off on this train of thought here.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

TMNT Smash roster:
1) Leonardo
2) Raphael
3) Michelangelo
4) Donatello
5) April O’Neil
6) Casey Jones
7) Splinter
8) Shredder
9) Krang
10) Karai
11) Rocksteady and Bebop
12) Baxter Stockmsn
13) The Rat King
14) Leatherhead
15) Metalhead
16) Fugitoid
17) Rahzar and Tokka
18) Agent Bishop
19) Hun
20) Renet
21) Jennika
22) Koya and Bludgeon
23) Ocho
24) Alopex
25) Angel Bridge
26) Old Hob
27) Slash
28) Ray Fillet
29) Mondo Gecko
30) Sally Pride
31) Baron Draxum
32) Zog
33) Chrome Dome
34) Tiger Claw
35) Venus Demilo
37) Scumbug and Antrax
39) Zak, Dask, and Kala
40) Superfly
Wow! I couldn't even think of 40 TMNT characters off the top of my head good job!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Wow! I couldn't even think of 40 TMNT characters off the top of my head good job!
lol thanks. There were so many other characters I’d have wanted and I even had to cheat the numbers a bit and make several of the roster slots team duos like Rocksteady and Bebop. The IDW comics are actually pretty amazing and include most of the characters throughout the series’ history in some way. I was making a custom TMNT Magic: The Gathering set and I had well over 100 character cards and that’s with 10 of them using a pairing for a single card. I think I should try to fit Usagi Yojimbo in the Smash clone roster somewhere even though he’s not actually from the same franchise. He does cross over with TMNT all the time so he makes a lot of sense.

Anyway, to bring it back to Smash itself, that’s one reason I’d love the Battletoads in Smash so much. They’re actually my brother’s favorite characters of all time but they’re also as close as we can possibly get to seeing the TMNT in Smash. They were one of the many properties in the early 90’s that took direct inspiration from TMNT in their creation. The Toads would also likely have even more fitting movesets for Smash than the Turtles themselves. Their exaggerated animations and transforming limbs would be so fun and expressive in a platform fighter like Smash and they’d really stand out from the rest of the cast in a good way.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
That's ignoring the fact that the 3 Avatar characters that were picked are also very popular. Yes, even Corrin, although more specifically, Female Corrin. All three of them are close in popularity to the main lords who are often the most popular. And regardless of whether it was Chrom, Lucina or Robin, a Fire Emblem Awakening rep was always going to a promotional pick.
I think you misunderstood what i meant with promotional picks?
AS far as i know Roy, Corrin and byleth were included to drum up sales for their games!
Debatably the first two awekning characters too!
I think a charcater should be atleast from a one year old game that way you can gauge if theyre liked!

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if we'll see more Western composers on the remixes in the next smash. Obviously Grant Kirkope and Toby Fox had special circumstances surrounding them getting to do remixes but now that at least Microsoft is on the roster for the hopefully foreseeable future I'd love to see some of the composers that Microsoft/Ubisoft/Wayforward/etc. have fielded get to handle some of the songs that wouldn't get the chance to be included as dlc.

And as easily as it is for tracks to get lost in the thousand song mix that is the smash ost... I'd totally buy remix packs as dlc.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wonder if we'll see more Western composers on the remixes in the next smash. Obviously Grant Kirkope and Toby Fox had special circumstances surrounding them getting to do remixes but now that at least Microsoft is on the roster for the hopefully foreseeable future I'd love to see some of the composers that Microsoft/Ubisoft/Wayforward/etc. have fielded get to handle some of the songs that wouldn't get the chance to be included as dlc.

And as easily as it is for tracks to get lost in the thousand song mix that is the smash ost... I'd totally buy remix packs as dlc.
I really want to get some David Wise remixes in Smash. He’s always been one of my favorite composers in gaming and I feel like he’s criminally underrated. I’ve also really liked what I’ve heard from Tee Lopes so far. The soundtracks for both Shredder’s Revenge and Sonic Mania have been great. If the Killer Instinct 2013 soundtrack is anything to go by, Mick Gordon is pretty amazing as well. I love the soundtrack for that game.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
AS far as i know Roy, Corrin and byleth were included to drum up sales for their games!
Well yes and no, Byleth was cited to be added because they were looking for a game that people were playing at that moment. Which I suppose is why they were prioritized over Pyra / Mythra or Min-Min, being able to strike while the iron is hot and let people experience a character in Smash freshly after they got to know them in their own game.

Was there some promotional incentive to this? Maybe, it’s said that Nintendo chose these DLC characters so I’m sure that wasn’t a nonfactor. But they didn’t line up as neatly with 3H’s release as say, Corrin did with Fates (seeing how the latter wasn’t even released over here yet).

Debatably the first two awekning characters too!
The “promotional” period was well gone by the time these two joined, Awakening was already a popular game. I feel like there’s a notable difference between “promotional pick” and simply “the timing lined up” to represent a relevant game of that era.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Some Bosses I'd like to see:

Zoda (Startropics) - I'd like him playable, but it's not like his xenomorph mode wouldn't work as a boss either.
Vaati (Final Form, Zelda Four Swords and Four Sword Adventures and Zelda Minish Cap) - Once again, I wanted him playable, but I don't think that's ever going to happen, so let's see him as a boss.
Hisstocrat (Super Mario Bros.) - I like Hisstocrat. He's got the boss size down.
Giga Ridley (Metroid) - Just returns Ridley as a boss character. And he gets a Giga mode like Bowser.
Bald Bull (Punch Out) - Probably would be cool as playable, but that bull charge also can work for a boss.
Porky - Should come back
Duon - Should come back
Tabuu - Should come back
Master Core/Fortress - Should Come back
Giratina - Pokemon boss
Rayquaza - Yeah, bring him back too

smashkirby

Smash Hero
My take is this: Ashley is not a bad Smash Bros choice in a vacuum (in fact, she's actually a quite good choice), but as a WarioWare character specifically, she's kind of lame
Yeah... ngl, that's more-or-less how I've always viewed Ashley in such a context. Like... say what you will about Mona, but I feel like she would do a better job of representing the 'chaotic weirdness' of WarioWare. Not only could she have her pets assist her for attacks, one could potentially make a moveset out of nearly every odd job she's ever taken throughout WarioWare's run.

With all of that being the case? You can't deny that Mona certainly would have her pick of the lot for a unique moveset.

I don't know how Mr. AR would do as a newcomer, but AR Dragon would be just the thing for a boss in the Super Smash Bros. series.
View attachment 392969
View attachment 392970
Can't say I would be opposed to either idea (Mr. AR becoming a playable character and the AR Dragon being a boss)!

Say, I just remembered... isn't the AR Dragon's boss theme in Smash right now?

This take honestly baffles me a bit because like, if you wanted to create a set of eight Fire Emblem characters that would appeal to the Fire Emblem fanbase the most...at least half of the current eight would be kept anyway. And the biggest reason there would be cuts to begin with would be due to the House Leaders needing to be there.

Like leaving aside all context about when and why and how the current eight in Smash were added, if you were truly going for the most broad appeal for eight Fire Emblem characters in Smash, this would probably be the line-up. And half the Smash fanbase would still be mad because 5/8 are sword lords.View attachment 392991
WOW... Ngl, I really think this F.E. lineup for Smash would be pretty workable! Heck, the ONE thing that hurts my enjoyment of it, even a little bit, is the removal of poor Roy.

View attachment 392998

We gotta go back in time to Smash 4 and get Corrin off the roster

That's right.

We gotta go back in time to Smash 4 and get Corrin off the roster
I really kind of think Elma would have been a better choice than Corrin from pretty much every angle lol. It is what it is.
Not that I'm opposed to Elma, but am I the only one who feels as though poor little Chibi-Robo could have used that roster slot in Smash 4?

Personally, I'd like to see a Super Mute City-styled Cruis'n stage make its way into Smash Bros., where you'd be fight on top of the various vehicles that occasionally do things like flips, barrel rolls, and the like while racing in any of the locations of Cruis'n Blast (Death Valley, Madagascar, London, Rio de Janeiro, and Singapore).

Also, in the event that Pilotwings 64 doesn't get incorporated into the current Pilotwings stage, I was thinking of a PW64-exclusive stage where we'd fly over the 4 islands of PW64 (Holiday Island, Everfrost Island, Crescent Island, and the Little States) with the cast of PW64 themselves making cameo appearances flying through the air.
Maybe even have Mecha-Hawk serve as a stage hazard/stage boss where he occasionally tosses boulders at you that deal high knockback and damage.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Well yes and no, Byleth was cited to be added because they were looking for a game that people were playing at that moment. Which I suppose is why they were prioritized over Pyra / Mythra or Min-Min, being able to strike while the iron is hot and let people experience a character in Smash freshly after they got to know them in their own game.

Was there some promotional incentive to this? Maybe, it’s said that Nintendo chose these DLC characters so I’m sure that wasn’t a nonfactor. But they didn’t line up as neatly with 3H’s release as say, Corrin did with Fates (seeing how the latter wasn’t even released over here yet).
Considering DLC was "finalized" in November of 2018, well before Three Houses would release, yeah, promotion was the key factor. They just made sure the character was part of Smash AFTER release of the game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

we've got yoko, do we need anyone else?

Top Bottom