• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Considering DLC was "finalized" in November of 2018, well before Three Houses would release, yeah, promotion was the key factor. They just made sure the character was part of Smash AFTER release of the game.
I was just reiterating what Sakurai said.

For this fighter, an important factor was being able to turn the protagonist of a game that people are playing right now into a fighter that players could experience immediately in Smash Bros. As such, I tried my hand at working on the character while the source game was still in development.
Certainly promotion was at least one of the relevant factors here, I agree with that, but Byleth’s inclusion doesn’t seem as simple as “we want people to buy the game” and is guided at least in part by what I had mentioned. At least if Sakurai is to be believed here and this isn’t just PR… which like, I’m not gonna speculate on that really. But he does follow up with this.

I’m not exactly aware of what Nintendo’s future release plans are, so I go along with what they decide. It just so happens that the timing was right with Three Houses’ completion.
I’d say both things are likely true. Just that discussion of “promo character” is often working off the bare minimum of “this character is from a newer game = Nintendo wants to sell” and I wanted to offer a little more of a good faith perspective.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Wario Ware characters I'd like to see as playable (in order of preference):

10) Dribble & Spitz - I like the design, they'd be a cute cabbie/double character... but they're somehow not iconic despite always being in the games and the moveset potential is lacking.
9) 5-Volt - It'd actually be cool to have a "mother of a gamer" character. But she's already a stage hazard.
8) Jimmy T - Dancing is fun, he's iconic. I'm just not drawn to the character
7) Young Cricket - It's a martial artist in a fighting game. It's on the nose enough that it definitely works, but bland enough it's not going higher on the list.
6) Penny Crygor - Fits the "they have a song" thing that helps most wario ware characters in discussion. Gives you what Crygor gives you with a younger look.
5) Orbulon - I like the design and I'm not going to stop liking the design.
4) Kat & Ana - Ninja Ice Climbers with assist trophy history.
3) Ashley - We all know it. She's been an assist. We all have ideas of the moveset. Magic user. Red's cool. Great song
2) Mona - She is the non-Wario Mascot. The bicycle works for many movesets (and could even honor Paperboy without needing to talk to EA/WB). Also she has a song too.
1) 9-Volt - I think he actually has the coolest moveset potential. It'd kind of overlap a little with Pac Man of throwing 8-bit stuff at people... but I like what I like
Also 1) Captain Syrup - She's not Wario Ware. But I feel weird not mentioning her in Wario discussion.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
Yeah David Wise's work is criminally underused in Smash. There's barely anything post-DKC1 and even Tropical Freeze's vast and magnificent OST is not present at all.

Smash is always so weird with DKC. The characters themselves always require years of begging but are very well done once they get in, everything else is often quite half-assed though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I know he's supposed to fight up close, but with PMEX letting me play as both PM and SSBU Roy, I swear his new animations nerf his range compared to the closer-to-Marth ones in PM. I also wish 4/Ultimate Roy had PM's nair and down smash, where they're full-on speeeens instead of quickly slashing in front of and behind him. That down smash is partially why I have Roy set as my PM main.
Anyone got any cool stage ideas for a future Smash game? Here's some I've had for a while.

A stage based on Area Zero from Pokémon: Scarlet & Violet could be interesting. I could see it playing either like 3D Land (moving stage) OR Hollow Bastion (moving background), taking you through the multiple levels of the sparkly cave, with several Paradox Pokémon showing up in the background. I also see something similar in the event a stage based on the land, skies, and depths of Hyrule from TOTK.

A Bowser stage in general would be awesome. They could make it based on the classic bridge and axe combo from the 2D games, where occasionally have an axe show up, and the bridge collapses when someone attacks it, meaning you could fall in for a moment. Or maybe have a stage based on World Bowser from 3D World, with fun amusement park obstacles all in the way of the battle. A stage based on Castle Bowser from Wonder is also a possibility, with the weird, green goop in tow. But how does that explain playing as Bowser on that stage? ...Just say it's a copy made from the Wonder Flower or something, I dunno-

The Lor Starcutter could make for a stage similar to the Cloud Sea of Alrest, taking fighters through different level backgrounds from the Kirby series while fighting on the ship. Of course, there would be cameos from Magolor and other major & minor players from the series in this scenario.

Last one from me for now: Any industrial areas/levels would be nice. A new version of Wily Castle where you go IN the castle, or maybe a Chemical Plant or Press Factory stage. Anything.

Tell me what you've got! ...or not, it's fine either way-
Bowser's Castle
Ganon Tower
Gangplank Galleon
Bramble Bush

These are some stages I really want.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Smash is always so weird with DKC. The characters themselves always require years of begging but are very well done once they get in, everything else is often quite half-assed though.
I thought the new arrangements in Ultimate were very good, and we got a number of bonus song pulls from the classic games too. Although stage selection could definitely be improved and Tropical Freeze ought to have more music, I agree with that. Just feels like they improved substantially already.

The Brawl song picks and arrangements were also pretty solid, honestly. If not just for Gangplank and Stickerbush Symphony. I don’t think either of these games were half-assed. It was mostly Smash 4 where this became a glaring issue with the oversaturation of Jungle Groove, but even then I love that Gear Getaway arrangement.

Stages I don’t really have to reiterate are underwhelming, but unfortunately falls into an issue many other series suffer from already. Hopefully this will be improved across the board next game, I don’t think we need another World 1-1 grass level, Green Greens, Metroid lava level, DKC jungle level… Two of DKC’s most dynamic stages also didn’t make it back to Ultimate, which makes this lineup suffer a bit more. Not that I’m rallying for the return of Rumble Falls, but I liked Jungle Hinjinx.

Love the Klaptrap AT but it still baffles me Rambi hasn’t shown up yet. If they threw him I feel that’d be a satisfying enough AT lineup. Items are fine I think, unless you wanna go the extra mile and incorporate an Animal Buddy crate.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Bowser's Castle
Ganon Tower
Gangplank Galleon
Bramble Bush

These are some stages I really want.
I really want to see Hornet Hole from DKC2. Those stages were just so unique and cool. The whole game had a great selection of stages but that one always stood out to me. It had some of the best music in the game too though the whole soundtrack was amazing.

Two other stages is love to see from old school platformer games are Chemical Plant Zone from Sonic 2 and Central Highway from Mega Man X. Those also had a great unique aesthetic with awesome music. I still think a TETRIS stage is such an obvious idea that I’m surprised it hasn’t already happened.

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Anyone got any cool stage ideas for a future Smash game? Here's some I've had for a while.

A stage based on Area Zero from Pokémon: Scarlet & Violet could be interesting. I could see it playing either like 3D Land (moving stage) OR Hollow Bastion (moving background), taking you through the multiple levels of the sparkly cave, with several Paradox Pokémon showing up in the background. I also see something similar in the event a stage based on the land, skies, and depths of Hyrule from TOTK.

A Bowser stage in general would be awesome. They could make it based on the classic bridge and axe combo from the 2D games, where occasionally have an axe show up, and the bridge collapses when someone attacks it, meaning you could fall in for a moment. Or maybe have a stage based on World Bowser from 3D World, with fun amusement park obstacles all in the way of the battle. A stage based on Castle Bowser from Wonder is also a possibility, with the weird, green goop in tow. But how does that explain playing as Bowser on that stage? ...Just say it's a copy made from the Wonder Flower or something, I dunno-

The Lor Starcutter could make for a stage similar to the Cloud Sea of Alrest, taking fighters through different level backgrounds from the Kirby series while fighting on the ship. Of course, there would be cameos from Magolor and other major & minor players from the series in this scenario.

Last one from me for now: Any industrial areas/levels would be nice. A new version of Wily Castle where you go IN the castle, or maybe a Chemical Plant or Press Factory stage. Anything.

• A Mario Party stage is something that I’d like to see. It would most likely be in the form of a game board, but I’d love Fish Upon a Star if minigames were allowed. In my case, I’d pick Peach’s Birthday Cake or Sweet Dream as a dessert themed stage would be fun to play on (the former board also can add some strawberry Piranha Plant hazards).
  • I liked Project +’s version of Oil Drum Alley.
  • City Trial would be cool travel map.
  • Any version of Pokefloats that I can get.
  • If we revisited older Fire Emblem stages, I’d like to see Dolhr Keep as a stage. If not, I think Elusia Castle could provide something interesting from Engage.
  • Eryth Sea was a cool location from Xenoblade, and I liked the warp tiles in it.
  • Egg Carrier from Sonic Adventure as travel stage would be cool where it starts in the main platform where Chaos 6, Zero, and Beta are fought, and then it would include the main interior area, and segments of Sky Deck and Hot Shelter; however, the Sonic franchise has many locations that would work well for stages.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Most wanted stages:

- Bowser's Castle: The most iconic location that for some reason is still not in Smash. It has dozens of variants through the series but I prefer it to be a scrolling stage ala Mushroomy Kingdom, but featuring parts from multiple 2D Mario games.

- Light and Dark: A stage based on Link to the Past that switches between the Light World and Dark world versions of Hyrule, notably between Hyrule Castle and Pyramid of Power. Since Echoes of Wisdom seems to be reusing the LttP map, this feels like great timing to add it.

- The Somniel: The hub from Fire Emblem Engage, this one has a good shot of being in regardless if Alear makes it as playable. The place is already a floating island, come on! It could be a transitional stage like Delfino Plaza or Skyloft that travels between parts, like the Cafeteria, the Pool, the Training Grounds, the Farm, the Grotto, and the Bedroom Balcony.

- The Courtroom: Obvious location for an Ace Attorney stage if Phoenix Wright makes it in.

- Ayashiro Mansion: Even if Ayumi doesn't make it in, the Famicom Detective Club series definitely has gathered enough awareness to get better representation in Smash. This was a notable location from the first game so I think it fits.

robot067

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARR#319
Switch FC
SW-3961-8884-7684
Any version of Pokefloats that I can get.
Seconding this. I want it back so bad if only to see what on earth the omega version would be. A bunch of Onixes mashed together?

I was honestly disappointed they didn't bring back Rumble Falls and Icicle Mountain. They're jank as hell but that's what makes them fun. CPUs struggle so much on Icicle Mountain and in adventure mode you just have to climb up and wait for them to suicide XD

Speaking of stages my most wanted is Isaac and I wonder what stage they would go with if he got in. Smash Flash 2 used Venus Lighthouse which makes a lot of sense. It's probably the most iconic location from the game. Sol Sanctum would also be really cool, maybe with the Wise One as a stage hazard. They could also do something like the Cloud Sea stage with the Lemurian Ship from Lost Age and you could see the coastline of Weyard and some of the game's islands pass by in the background.

My #2 is Noah (plus Mio I think they should both get in). I imagine they would go for Origin for the stage. It's very important to the lore of the game and the series as a whole. If Future Redeemed is on the table they could go with the memory phase, that is if the devs think smash is lacking in suburbia stages. Also from FR they could go with Prison Island and double dip for another Xenoblade 1 stage. My personal pick would be Agnus Castle, as a nod to the wildest emotional rollercoaster in any Xenoblade game. The City or Swordmarch would also work super well.

I imagine Kirby and the Forgotten Land will get a stage regardless of if we get a Kirby character or not (though Bandana Dee should still get in already). My pick would be Alivel Mall - I love the overgrown urban aesthetic so much. Give me that or add 2B along with the City Ruins from Automata. Or Coconut Mall; I would kill to get a smash remix of the theme.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm noticing that a lot of these stage suggestions are from older games. Some more than 20 years old.

Do you guys not want stages from newer titles?
let’s see, The Depths from totk would be very atmospheric. Hero’s Hideaway from pikmin would be cool. Of course something from wonder using the wonder flowers to go mad would be very welcome

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm noticing that a lot of these stage suggestions are from older games. Some more than 20 years old.

I’m cool with newer stages too. I just feel like those classic 2D platformer stages from DKC, Sonic, and Mega Man translate perfectly into Smash stages. It’s a bit harder to visualize a Smash stage for 3D games and other genres but I’m not at all opposed to them.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
let’s see, The Depths from totk would be very atmospheric. Hero’s Hideaway from pikmin would be cool. Of course something from wonder using the wonder flowers to go mad would be very welcome
I would love a Flower Kingdom stage with Wonder Flowers that show up kinda like the summon materia on Midgar, with a selection of effects that can happen at random.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016

Well, they could make a stage based on Kirby and the Forgotten Land. And maybe a stage from Sonic Frontiers.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord

If it's a good setting, I'd want it in no matter how old it is. The truth is, there's so many older games with fantastic ideas that could really shine in Smash.

Yeah, there's stuff from newer games I'd want too, but with such a vast history of games stretching over 4 decades there's bound to be a lot of gold in the old.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
People just straight up don’t seem to want newer titles not only as stages, but characters, bosses, assist trophies.

It’s disheartening.
I’ll admit that I’m a bit biased towards older titles I grew up playing but I think Smash is at its best when it represents the whole history of gaming, both old and new. There are still quite a few newer characters and properties I’d love to see in Smash like H’aanit from Octopath Traveller, Vi from League of Legends, Shionne from Tales of Arise, Jenna Anderson from Astral Chain and a ton more.

I think Octopath Traveller would be a perfect property for a stage. The HD-2D aesthetic is really unique and cool looking and the soundtrack for both games is amazing. The stage could also include music from other lower budget recent Square-Enix titles like Triangle Strategy and Bravely Default. I haven’t really narrowed down a specific location for a stage because there are so many cool locations but I’m leaning toward Gate of Finis (the final dungeon).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
People just straight up don’t seem to want newer titles not only as stages, but characters, bosses, assist trophies.

It’s disheartening.
I prefer seeing things in Smash that are more iconic. Things from newer titles have not yet proven that anyone will still care about them in a few years and that they'll stand the test of time.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

It’s disheartening.
I think you're letting this be too much of a bogeyman just because XC3 isn't the dominant topic in this thread.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I mean we live in a world where Bowser's Castle is somehow still not a stage

I don't think it's that surprising that people look to older games for new stage choices. There's just a lot of great stuff that's accumulated over the years that they haven't really tapped into. Newer stuff and older stuff can absolutely coexist.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'll be honest with you guys.

The main reason I want a Bowser's Castle stage is so that hopefully Hero will come back and there's a possibility we'll get the remix of NSMB's Castle theme from Fortune Street or even potentially a new remix, I just love this song so much. Plus it could be used to get a location that fits the more intense boss themes from the RPGs and stuff.

Ivander

Smash Legend
If there's one thing that I'm laughing about at the possibility of happening...

Imagine asking for Bowser's Castle to appear in Smash Bros. for years and then we get Bowser merged with a castle for a stage. So instead of Bowser's Castle, we get Bowser Castle. :laugh:

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
If Kazuya gets in the next game, they could give him a stage from Tekken 8.

And maybe a stage from an older Tekken game.
If it's not Into the Stratosphere I don't want it

Fighting on top of a giant meteorite that's descending back into Earth that also has molten lava blowing up when you get slammed into it is literally a peak Smash stage

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman

It’s disheartening.
I 100% want Alear as a character and The Somniel as a stage. Don't look at me.

But seriously, I think it's fine to want stages from older or newer games because that's something that has always co-existed in a consistent way since the series' debut on N64. In the newer games they almost always goes for locations on newer games but also look at older games for more iconic stuff. In Ultimate the new stages were New Donk City, Great Plateau Tower and Moray Towers, all from newer games, but we also got Dracula's Castle which was the most iconic location for the Castlevania series which was only then started to get representation in Smash.

I have zero doubts Smash 6 will represent newer and older games through stages. Mario Wonder and TOTK are probably locks for new stages, but since older games also get representation, asking for stages based on those is also perfectly valid.

And I will never stop asking for Bowser's Castle. It's an iconic location that has yet to miss a generation of Nintendo games, so its absence from Smash at this point is just baffling.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

It’s disheartening.
I think it's more of a focus on iconic elements from series which heavily skews older, especially with a lot of newer stuff ending up as flavor of the week. That's not to say that newer stuff shouldn't be added though.

Imagine asking for Bowser's Castle to appear in Smash Bros. for years and then we get Bowser merged with a castle for a stage. So instead of Bowser's Castle, we get Bowser Castle. :laugh:
It's also the least Bowser's Castle Bowser's Castle in terms of aesthetic. Well, aside from World Bowser and Bowser Kingdom...Perhaps Bowser's branching out aesthetically now since that's three times in a row that it isn't a castle with a lava mote. Maybe we'll see a really different Bowser's Castle in Mario Kart 10.

I do think Pipe-Rock Plateau is more likely though, ending up as a World 1 grass stage, but with Wonder Flowers that with crazy effects like significantly reduced gravity, singing Piranha Plants attacking players, and turning your opponents into helpless Goombas.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Okay, I should have elaborated a bit more here.

I was referring to the Smash community as a whole, not referring to this specific thread.
I was gonna say, there are people here who act like every single Nintendo character that debuted more than 5 years ago will never join Smash. How could they be stuck in the past?

Well, stuck in DLC speculation despite thinking FP3 is more impossible than HL3, maybe.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
I do think Pipe-Rock Plateau is more likely though, ending up as a World 1 grass stage, but with Wonder Flowers that with crazy effects like significantly reduced gravity, singing Piranha Plants attacking players, and turning your opponents into helpless Goombas.
1722363679061.png

Wonder has so many unique locales and cool themes that I really hope we get a traveling stage for it (with Petal Isles as the base/starting transformation instead of Pipe-Rock Plateau) instead of it being World 1 grass again. Yes, the Wonder mechanics are unique, but you can show them off in prettier settings that Smash hasn't really seen before.

I'll allow Piranha Plants on Parade as one of the stops since it's one of the most memorable parts of the game and is fairly different to your typical grass stage, but beyond that I really want to see zanier locales from the later worlds.

1722364331711.png
1722364223003.png
1722364251255.png
1722364291321.png

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I wonder how many people blocked me? i seem to only get likes from the same 3 people?
Can you see somewhere who blocked you?

Than again their loss its not like i just rant about politics i only rarely breach into that topic!
I even made a zero Politic Rant rule for my channel!

This rule will obviously be lifted if Link says: "Its time for heroes to end!" Before tossing away the master sword but that Probably wont happen... i hope!

And who knows maybe nobody blocked me? Who knows!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

First Party, Current Series:
Bowser's Castle
Waluigi Pinball
Koholint Island
Cobalt Coastlands
Area Zero
Literally ANYTHING from the Archanea games (Altea Castle, Chiasmir Bridge, the Fane of Raman, Macedon Aerie, Ice Dragon Temple, etc)
World of Zenith (traveling stage that takes you to the various realms)
Lunar Sanctum
Jogging Route (Punch-Out!! stage that scrolls and is based on the training sequence)
Snake Park
Hobbiville

First Party, New Series:
Sector 1 (Mach Rider)
Murasame Castle
Sunset Beach
Gluglug Lagoon
JC Valley
Hotel Dusk

Third Party, New Series:
The Highway (Frogger)
The Underground

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
First Party, Current Series:
Bowser's Castle
Waluigi Pinball
Koholint Island
Cobalt Coastlands
Area Zero
Literally ANYTHING from the Archanea games (Altea Castle, Chiasmir Bridge, the Fane of Raman, Macedon Aerie, Ice Dragon Temple, etc)
World of Zenith (traveling stage that takes you to the various realms)
Lunar Sanctum
Jogging Route (Punch-Out!! stage that scrolls and is based on the training sequence)
Snake Park
Hobbiville

First Party, New Series:
Sector 1 (Mach Rider)
Murasame Castle
Sunset Beach
Gluglug Lagoon
JC Valley
Hotel Dusk

Third Party, New Series:
The Highway (Frogger)
The Underground
Hobbiville is a deep cut. Some of those old Streetpass games would make for interesting stage settings, It'd be cool to see one based on Monster Manor or Market Crashers.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master

Dededes Castle! Metaknight has a stage kirby has two (if you count the two green greens)
So how about dededes castle i would even be fine with superstar (ultra) getting more stuff because the boxring is a perfect fit for smash!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wonder how many people blocked me? i seem to only get likes from the same 3 people?
Can you see somewhere who blocked you?

Than again their loss its not like i just rant about politics i only rarely breach into that topic!
I even made a zero Politic Rant rule for my channel!

This rule will obviously be lifted if Link says: "Its time for heroes to end!" Before tossing away the master sword but that Probably wont happen... i hope!

And who knows maybe nobody blocked me? Who knows!
I didn’t even know you could block people on this site. I certainly haven’t blocked anyone. I do have pretty strong political views but I reserve that to private conversations and occasional Facebook posts and this definitely isn’t the place for that. I have noticed that there are a few posters here that like almost every post, which is cool. I’m sorry if you feel like you’re being ignored here, that wasn’t really my intention.

Top Bottom