• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Clearly, but Inkling, being a new franchise and needing a new stage with it, would have taken a lot more work.

Inkling was probably never a serious candidate for Corrin's spot.
Yeah, I know. Alongside that, every fighter in SSBU has to have an ink mask to control how ink is distributed across fighters' bodies when they aren't 100% inked, I think that'd be too much work for DLC.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As someone who has mained Luigi since 64... I utterly despise what has happened to Luigi over the course of Smash 4 and Ultimate.

I dislike how stubby he is. I dislike how slow he feels. I dislike Luigi Cyclone is no longer a recovery option, and how linear his recovery feels as a result of that. And I utterly loathe how reliant he is on his grab, and how overcentralizing it is.
Luigi has been a really awkward character to control since Brawl, and I think that stubbyness is the reason for it. I'd like them to take an entirely different approach with him as well.

???

Literally what? How does that sound like an ESRB anything?

Let alone a censor?
It's a joke: Inkling from the Inkling franchise.

Bruh. Tharja couldn't even get a trophy due to her "ahem* "boingy bits."

She wasn't gonna be playable.
She had her trophy removed bruh

A popular character gets cancelled by Smash

Not happening. Go ahead and mod your game If you want her in
If they wanted her playable, they'd have made the necessary alterations to her outfit.

Last edited:

RykZyk

Smash Rookie
Another topic that probably was already brought up already at some point, but still...
Are you okay with newcomers becoming more and more complex and gimmicky?
Because honestly... not that much. I like my Smash characters simple and true to the Smash gameplay style and philosophy: Easy for anyone to pickup.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Speaking of Tharja, I don’t think her outfit disqualifies her as a character if they wanted her in Smash. They already made costume revisions to Mythra so there’s no reason they can’t do the same for Tharja. I’m not really typically big on fanservicey characters in general but Tharja’s personality was so great that she still became one of my favorite FE characters ever. Having a slightly more reserved outfit wouldn’t take away from that at all for me.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Already did lol. She makes for a great Robin mod.
NINTENDO! NINTENDO! THIS DUDE HAS ANIME BOOBS OUT ON HIS NINTENDO SWITCH!

AND ITS MODDED!

If they wanted her playable, they'd have made the necessary alterations to her outfit.
Sounds like when we were debating if Mai Shiranui would appear in Ultimate.

We know what they decided! :troll:

Another topic that probably was already brought up already at some point, but still...
Because honestly... not that much. I like my Smash characters simple and true to the Smash gameplay style and philosophy: Easy for anyone to pickup.
:ultbanjokazooie::ultbyleth::ultsora: feel simple to play imo

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
S
Honeslty I'm a bit of the same thing. if they're able to make their movesets work, I'm all for it. I get Sakurai wants to make the newcomers more unique, but something just feels too gimmick-y lately with the DLCs

Some of them are easy to play as without issues. Others require a bit more work too

Speaking of Tharja, I don’t think her outfit disqualifies her as a character if they wanted her in Smash. They already made costume revisions to Mythra so there’s no reason they can’t do the same for Tharja. I’m not really typically big on fanservicey characters in general but Tharja’s personality was so great that she still became one of my favorite FE characters ever. Having a slightly more reserved outfit wouldn’t take away from that at all for me.
I'm fine with a modification on her outfit like they've done for Mythia. All depends on what they would do (probably make her wear something thicker and less see-through)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Out of curiocity, I looked at the newcomers from the previous games on gimmickyness and complexity and...

Gimmicky and complex:
:ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultken::ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultkazuya:
Gimmicky, but not complex:
:ultvillager::ultlittlemac::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultcloud::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultpiranha::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultpyra:/:ultmythra::ultsora:
Complex, but not gimmicky:
:ultgreninja::ultpacman:
Neither complex nor gimmicky:
:ultpalutena::ultcorrin::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultincineroar:

I feel like a lot of people will disagree with me, since "gimmicky" is kind of poorly defined. I'm strapped for time, so I just went with vibes, but this list can definitely be refined with more rigid criteria. There's also a bunch of weird issues with it in general like Joker is complex, but not because of his gimmick. All in all I think it just depends on which characters are added, and possibly whether or not they're DLC.

As far as what I'd prefer...I think this current direction is fine. I'm always up for new ideas, even if they don't click with me.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
S
Honeslty I'm a bit of the same thing. if they're able to make their movesets work, I'm all for it. I get Sakurai wants to make the newcomers more unique, but something just feels too gimmick-y lately with the DLCs

Some of them are easy to play as without issues. Others require a bit more work too

I'm fine with a modification on her outfit like they've done for Mythia. All depends on what they would do (probably make her wear something thicker and less see-through)
I think all they’d really need to do is make the solid parts of her outfit a bit closer to something like ZSS’s alt. She should keep her see through nylon underneath. That’s just how I’d do it though, pretty much the same thing I’d do for Etna from Disgaea.

1722274697226.jpeg

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sounds like when we were debating if Mai Shiranui would appear in Ultimate.

We know what they decided! :troll:
There are design modifications to Mai that would work for Smash, they just didn't think it was worth the time and money to redesign a background character.

If they wanted her playable, they would have done it I'm sure.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So a random idea:

Any creative modes you'd like to add or see return?

Return: Coin and Board the Platform

Coin was pretty unique and I was surprised to see it get removed for Ultimate. BtP is pretty much a simple yet reasonable request from many veterans of the series who would love for it to return

New: Championship mode

As a wrestling fan, I'd like to see some crazy ideas of championships in the game where that character(s) have to defend the titles. And my ideas are below
Smash World
International
Hardcore/Extreme
Women
Lightweight
Tag Team
Women's Tag Team
Trios
8-Man (2 teams of 4)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I get it, but also have issues with it: As the roster gets bigger and bigger, it's gonna be hard for unique fighters to really feel unique without some sorta gimmick, but when half the DLC fighters had some sort of meter/comeback mechanic be one of their gimmicks, there's still going to be some homogenity, and other platform fighters/mods for Brawl show that it's still possible to make new fighters feel unique without them being gimmickfests.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
There are design modifications to Mai that would work for Smash, they just didn't think it was worth the time and money to redesign a background character.

If they wanted her playable, they would have done it I'm sure.
I'm really curious if Mai will be in City of the Wolves, and if so, how her redesign will look.

If it's tasteful, it could get her into more crossovers.

I get it, but also have issues with it: As the roster gets bigger and bigger, it's gonna be hard for unique fighters to really feel unique without some sorta gimmick
I don't need characters to feel unique. I need them to feel like themselves.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If I could add one completely self-indulgent Fates character in the case Corrin is off the table, I'd add Niles.

But it'd also be really fun to see Camilla in Smash.
My self indulgent Fates character is Rhinka. I just love her design and she was one of the main characters I played. Rhajat’s cool too but she’s basically just Tharja again.

Ivander

Smash Legend
View attachment 392998

We gotta go back in time to Smash 4 and get Corrin off the roster
I just came back from that timeline where Corrin never happened. It's not worth it. Everybody is here is not a thing, the Zelda series got a Guardian from Breath of the Wild as a new character, Cloud didn't come back and was replaced by Lightning, and they didn't get Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo&Kazooie, Dark Samus, Sephiroth or Sora. And Sakurai gave up to the non-Smash enthusiasts and put in Goku, Shrek and SpongeBob, confirming they were the 1st, 2nd and 3rd most voted characters respectively.

Remember kids, just as The Flash found out, don't mess with the timeline.

Last edited:

RykZyk

Smash Rookie
I think this topic can be fun: If they make another story mode just like the Subspace Emissary, and also your most wanted character got in the roster... how do you think they would involve in the story? Cutscene-wise, mostly.
This isn't really a speculation thing, but i would like to see your imagination fly!

For me, I think Goemon can be pretty funny in the cutscene since his franchise is all about wackiness and absurdity, but also pretty badass because Goemon is a cool chivalrous thief. Would love to see him along another Konami characters, especially Simon or even Bomberman... and fun fact, this wouldn't be the first time that Goemon and Simon formed a team ;)

Noipoi

Howdy!
I just came back from that timeline where Corrin never happened. It's not worth it. Everybody is here is not a thing, the Zelda series got a Guardian from Breath of the Wild as a new character, Cloud didn't come back and was replaced by Lightning, and they didn't get Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo&Kazooie, Dark Samus, Sephiroth or Sora. And Sakurai gave up to the non-Smash enthusiasts and put in Goku, Shrek and SpongeBob, confirming they were the 1st, 2nd and 3rd most voted characters respectively.

IMG_8798.jpeg

Is Incineroar still in the game

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.

You've changed the future! You created a time paradox! :p

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280

I for one would be alright with this

Masked Borb

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3140-1930-0932

Is there at least a Stage Builder in that timeline?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Nope. A Pokemon didn't get in the launch roster because Gen 8 released too late to get a Pokemon in Smash, similar to ARMS and Xenoblade 2. They later put in Cinderace for one of the DLC spots.
I'd be down for that

But I'll miss the idea of hitting those German Suplexes on people

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace

I must ask the most important question. Did we get Pneuma included alongside Pyra & Mythra?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think this topic can be fun: If they make another story mode just like the Subspace Emissary, and also your most wanted character got in the roster... how do you think they would involve in the story? Cutscene-wise, mostly.
This isn't really a speculation thing, but i would like to see your imagination fly!

For me, I think Goemon can be pretty funny in the cutscene since his franchise is all about wackiness and absurdity, but also pretty badass because Goemon is a cool chivalrous thief. Would love to see him along another Konami characters, especially Simon or even Bomberman... and fun fact, this wouldn't be the first time that Goemon and Simon formed a team ;)
I’ve got a few most wanted characters so I’ll share some basic concepts for each of them. I guess I’ll put them in spoiler tags because I’ll probably spoil parts of their main games while doing so.

Magus (Chrono Trigger)
So Magus was the main antagonist for the first part of the game before you have the option to recruit him into your party later on. I think the same should be true for Smash. His pre-boss cutscene could mirror that of his PS1 cutscene before the first battle you have with him in Chrono Trigger where you see candles light up illuminating a pathway in a dark castle that forms a circle at the end where the fight takes place. This time, directly after the boss battle with him, he’ll willingly join your t

Zegram Ghart (Rogue Galaxy)
Zegram was a playable party member in Rogue Galaxy who was secretly spying on your team and leaking information to the enemy in order to save his wife. He finds out later that he was being deceived by the villain and joins up again with your team for good. I think this was a really cool dynamic which could be really interesting in Smash. It would be cool if you recruited him in a Mario Galaxy, Metroid or StarFox inspired world given the similarities of the space theme.

Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
Since the Toads are essentially digital avatars of normal people trapped inside a video game, it would make sense that they’d show up in some kind of arcade inspired world that could maybe even bring back the fighting wireframe team as enemies. If anyone here’s ever seen Sword Art Online, the Battletoads basically had that same concept decades earlier. It would make sense that you could recruit characters like Mr. Game & Watch and Pac-Man in that same area.

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
God got angry Sak took away his barefoot dragon queen.

Don't mess with God's fetishes. 😡

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Nope. A Pokemon didn't get in the launch roster because Gen 8 released too late to get a Pokemon in Smash, similar to ARMS and Xenoblade 2. They later put in Cinderace for one of the DLC spots.
Honestly, as much as I would hate such an outcome, Goku alone would make up for it in the the eyes of the general audience. I feel like this roster would actually be a bigger hit than Ultimate's current lineup (even if only by a little). Not without it's own complaints but the west would absolutely eat up choices like Shrek and SpongeBob and again Goku is Goku. Even Lightning has plenty of fans despite the XIII series being more divisive. I mean its still one of the numbered titles to actually be it's own series.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve said it before but I’d legit be hyped for characters like Venom, Predator, Raphael, The Undertaker, and All-Might. Not saying that it’s at all likely or even a good idea but there’s definitely a ton of characters not originating from video games I’d love to play in Smash. Characters like Shrek and SpongeBob less so because I’ve never been personally invested in them. Either way, I don’t really expect any of that to happen as the games currently stand so I’m more that happy to stick to gaming specific characters.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I’ve said it before but I’d legit be hyped for characters like Venom, Predator, Raphael, The Undertaker, and All-Might. Not saying that it’s at all likely or even a good idea but there’s definitely a ton of characters not originating from video games I’d love to play in Smash. Characters like Shrek and SpongeBob less so because I’ve never been personally invested in them. Either way, I don’t really expect any of that to happen as the games currently stand so I’m more that happy to stick to gaming specific characters.
That's perfectly valid too.

I mean, while I don't share the sentiment, I do still understand it. Like, I'd be super down for a Marvel platfighter or a new Jump Stars or completely new manga/anime crossover platfighter, but I like there to be some kind of focus and fixed scope when it comes to crossovers. All crossovers stem from "thing I enjoy interacting with other thing I enjoy," but if too many things crossover it kind of has the opposite effect in some respects.

Adding more options for crossing over winds up limiting who can be added from each individual series/IP. Something has to give and if adding your Goku's and Marvel heroes and whatnot means characters like Isaac or secondary Zelda characters or really deep cut/creative picks in the vein of :ultgnw::ultrob::ulticeclimbers: are swept off the table and into the bin for good then I'd rather that scope not expand.

It's been said plenty before, but there's so much to pull from within Nintendo's catalogue alone. That said, we've also had third parties onboard since Brawl now. People like to push the whole "celebration of gaming" comment and say that Smash is lacking in several areas, but Smash will always be lacking because the scope is so large now. Even a dedicated Smash vs one third party, would have plenty of possibilities to fill several rosters.

For me at least, it's not that non-gaming franchises lack any characters who I'd find appealing in a platfighter, I'd just prefer them in their own projects with manageable limits/expectations.

I'd rather keep Goku out of Smash, but I'd absolutely love a DBZ or manga crossover platfighter. I know it's not the same as Smash is Smash and one of the big reasons is that people want "x" character is to interact within Smash specifically, but I personally feel it'd be kind of unsatisfying at that point due to how limited the content per franchise has to be.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I'd be pretty excited myself if James Bond got into Smash somehow, but we know how likely that is.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I feel like if Starfy got into a game with a story mode (not sure if Starfy is my most wanted necessarily or not, but I'll use him for the sake of it), I'd want him to be partnered with someone that really contrasts with him.

So essentially what I'm saying is I think he should be teamed up with someone like Ridley, possibly after beating him in a boss fight, just because I think it'd be really funny to see those two interact, plus seeing other characters react to Ridley showing up, preparing for a boss fight, only to see Starfy pop up behind him and they're all just super confused lol

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
I don't know.
I think most of the DLC characters feel simple to play. The only real exceptions would be Steve and maybe Kazuya, and I'm interested in more weird unconventional stuff like that tbh

Top Bottom