• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i'd say digimon the franchise is possible but not every digimon is possible. otherwise i'd be going on about my own favourite all the time

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
RE: New art style

I've come to terms with the fact that a drastic change is never gonna happen. The series is just too reliant on iteration and reusing assets to be able to pull off a drastic art style shift. The only way it could happen would be a reboot that completely goes scorched earth on everything, but... we all know that's not happening, at least not right now.

It's still a fun thought experiment though. If any of you have mockups of what a potential new art style could look like, I'd love to see them! Speaking of, do y'all know if there's a dedicated art thread in this site? I've been searching but can't seem to find anything.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If I had to pick a Digimon, I'd say Gomamon or Patamon would be my favorite. Though Patamon is definitely the easier of the two to envision in Smash (as awesome as Zudomon is).

Plus Angemon is awesome. He's just so cool.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I've only seen some of Tamers because it was written by Chiaki J Konaka, who also wrote the excellent Serial Experiments Lain and Big O. I definitely enjoyed it, need to finish it sometime.

I do have some friends who are huge Digimon fans though so I've absorbed some stuff through osmosis lol. I'll just say I love Alphamon's design, he looks sick.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
What characters would you say are slept on basically, more likely than people give it credit for.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've only seen some of Tamers because it was written by Chiaki J Konaka, who also wrote the excellent Serial Experiments Lain and Big O. I definitely enjoyed it, need to finish it sometime.

I do have some friends who are huge Digimon fans though so I've absorbed some stuff through osmosis lol. I'll just say I love Alphamon's design, he looks sick.
tamers is my favourite series

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Welp, this was a long time coming.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I still think Alear is possible and hasnt missed the boat, so interesting to see this.

Last edited:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I feel like I hear Alear called "suprisingly unique" literally every single time they've been brought up as a character without fail, even when nobody was suggesting they wouldn't be unique lol. I get it, and I think they could have a pretty cool moveset especially incorporating martial arts, but it's funny.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I feel like I hear Alear called "suprisingly unique" literally every single time they've been brought up as a character without fail, even when nobody was suggesting they wouldn't be unique lol. I get it, and I think they could have a pretty cool moveset especially incorporating martial arts, but it's funny.
Fire Emblem is such a contentious topic we have to stress the unique capabilities of a prospective fighter at all times.

Even Nintendo does this :4pacman:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
Fire Emblem is such a contentious topic we have to stress the unique capabilities of a prospective fighter at all times.

Even Nintendo does this :4pacman:
Let me be clear, it is VERY IMPORTANT to stress that Byleth will use FOUR DIFFERENT weapons mapped to DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS on the control stick. I'm not even kidding. Each weapon matches a direction.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If they wanna make room for newcomers, they may have to cut the entire roster in half.

So, at least 40 characters.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Speaking of Great Britain.
What other british VG characters should be in Smash. No matter if that's their nationality or were created there or both.
After all we have Diddy, K. Rool, Banjo, Fox and Falco. (and maybe Shulk and Pythra, but that's more debatable :v)
  • Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
  • Cammy (Street Fighter)
  • Hershel Layton (Professor Layton)
  • Bridget (Guilty Gear)
  • Tracer (Overwatch)
  • Miner Willy (Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy)
  • Monty Mole (Monty on the Run)
  • Dizzy the Egg
  • Zitz, Pimple and Rash (Battletoads)

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
What other british VG characters should be in Smash. No matter if that's their nationality or were created there or both.
After all we have Diddy, K. Rool, Banjo, Fox and Falco. (and maybe Shulk, but that's more debatable)
  • Cammy (Street Fighter)
  • Bridget (Guilty Gear)
Jago and Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Dudley (Street Fighter)
Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
Cate Archer (No One Lives Forever)

Last edited:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
After all we have Diddy, K. Rool, Banjo, Fox and Falco. (and maybe Shulk and Pythra, but that's more debatable :v)
  • Cammy (Street Fighter)
  • Bridget (Guilty Gear)
  • Tracer (Overwatch)
  • Dizzy the Egg
I'm British and I can say that I feel like the best representation of Britain in Smash would be a FIFA character lol. I'm all for adding Cinderace so long as they have an Arsenal or Chelsea jersey alt.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
I have no interest in seeing Xenoblade become the next Fire Emblem. Every game in the series doesn't need to have a Smash character. And we CERTAINLY don't need multiple characters per game.
what if Xenoblade replaced FE's roster size in SSB ? , as it relates to character slots ? & FE was reduced to 3-4 playable characters ?

You making it a way bigger deal than it is. Like your comment here is the first time I've heard someone complain those bits. No on cares not even people who hate Xc2 fanservicey nature bring this up.
it is nearly impossible to complain to complain too much about the sexualization of children

What characters would you say are slept on basically, more likely than people give it credit for.
Vault Boy.
Ahri.
Master Chief.
Atelier rep
Phantasy star rep.
possibly SoulCalibur rep

Master_Scorpion

Smash Rookie
What character do you think is most likely from each of the bigger series in smash?

Super mario; Waluigi
Donkey Kong; Dixie Kong
Legend of Zelda; Skull Kid
Metroid; Raven Beak
Yoshi; Poochy
Kirby; Bandana Waddle Dee
Star Fox; Krystal
Pokémon; Meowscarada
Fire Emblem; Alear
WarioWare; Ashley
Sonic; Eggman
Pikmin; Oatchi
Animal Crossing; Tom Nook
Mega Man; Zero
Xenoblade Chronicles; Noah
Street Fighter; Chun Li
Splatoon; Octoling
Castlevania; Alucard
ARMS; Ninjara

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
i'd say digimon the franchise is possible but not every digimon is possible. otherwise i'd be going on about my own favourite all the time
Keeping it realistic, there's the obvious Agumon and Gabumon, but if they were to expand beyond that there's definitely Guilmon and Impmon.

Their last stages would obviously be reserved for flashy Final Smashes though... And by that I mean Omegamon, Crimson Mode and Blast Mode.

If it was by me I'd threw Gammamon in there but alas.

All side content would definitely be based on the OG virtual pets to Adventure era though with some Tamers here and there, but they'd acknowledge Agnimon, Shoutmon and Gammamon as spirits probably sorry Gumdramon and LOL at the thought of them acknowledging any Appmon.

File Island stage is the most likely as a result.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
reduced...playable characters
1717037639426.png

In terms of wants, the big one I got this game that I was very happy with was Terry.
I got 2 of my most wanted in Smash 4(Mega Man, Little Mac) and 2 of my most wanted in Ultimate(Simon, Hero).

1717038061084.png

The question is whether Sakurai counts virtual pets as video games or not. He might consider them to be toys instead thus making Digimon ineligible for Smash.
If G&W counts as a video game, then Digimon counts as a video game.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Vault Boy.
Ahri.
Master Chief.
Atelier rep
Phantasy star rep.
possibly SoulCalibur rep
Interesting list.
I've through of Magolor from Kirby, Squid Sisters from Splatoon, Prince Sidon from Breath of the Wild, Andy from Advance Wars, Zagreus from Hades and Reimu from Touhou as another possible sleeper picks.
(I do wonder how they'll handle a advance wars stage, tho....)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just wanna say, whoever cuts Diddy from their roster should block me. I'm not here for that kind of ****.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Interesting list.
I've through of Magolor from Kirby, Squid Sisters from Splatoon, Prince Sidon from Breath of the Wild, Andy from Advance Wars, Zagreus from Hades and Reimu from Touhou as another possible sleeper picks.
(I do wonder how they'll handle a advance wars stage, tho....)
I was doing specifically 3rd parties. I think these are still not anywhere near as top of enough folks lists as they should be.

Top Bottom