• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel like any character that has a Mii outfit or Assist Trophy probably has a bit of an edge since they already have one foot in the door.
And yet the number of times this lead anywhere could be counted on one finger when it comes to guests.
Yeah the problem with this logic is that most characters in this position are there because they're not gonna add them, but want to at least acknowledge their popularity. A lot of the more recent ones have a lot of merit to get in (Dante, Doom Slayer, etc.), but for the rest, they're probably doomed to always being considered, but always being rejected.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
You answered your own question. Super Smash Bros. Brawl follows the "hyper-realism" trend by adding a ton of detail and turning the saturation way down. SSB4 does a 180, turning the saturation way up and removing detail from characters that don't need it. Even SSBU tries something different, adopting a watercolor aesthetic, it's just the result is not super different compared to SSB4.
Sure but I don't know, I wouldn't define any of those as radical shifts.
I don't know what people expect from the next game, they'll probably tinker with saturation and detail again, change the look of the general effects and the lighting, add some embellishments and that's it.
I'd like them to go full clay/watercolor like Ultimate sometimes kinda looks like but that would probably be too radical of a shift.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah the problem with this logic is that most characters in this position are there because they're not gonna add them, but want to at least acknowledge their popularity. A lot of the more recent ones have a lot of merit to get in (Dante, Doom Slayer, etc.), but for the rest, they're probably doomed to always being considered, but always being rejected.
I think the logic is that they were popular choices but didn’t make the cut for that particular game, likely due to limited development time and resources. Even though they couldn’t make it as playable at the time, Sakurai wanted to give those fans something. If nothing else, the fact that they made it in some way shows that they’re popular. Although there’s not really precedent to show that this popularity translates to a playable fighter later on, I would imagine they’re at least strong considerations due to that popularity.

I think a lot of it likely comes down to fan support. A character doesn’t really have to be recent to build support. Just look at K. Rool in Ultimate. Sure, it probably helps but it’s not a requirement. Basically, I think the fact that they have some presence in Smash is an upside and I doubt it would be used against them when choosing characters for the next game. If, for some reason, it did hurt their chances then I guess that makes my favorite Tales characters more likely by comparison, which is cool.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that’s true. I think Lloyd is the most popular among Smash fans but he’s far from the only viable option. If I could choose any main protagonist from the series to join Smash, it would be a tag duo of Alphen and Shionne followed by Velvet Crowe. Yuri is another great character but I feel he’s probably not as interesting moveset wise as either of the above options.
Sakurai also stated once i believe around the Smash 4 time that "if we were to have a Tales rep it has to be Lloyd" or something like that, to back him up. (Unless i'm missremembering the interview, which is possible it's been 10+ years lol)
However, Vesperia was like 4 years old and wasn't even in a Nintendo console yet at the time, now that Vesperia is 16 years old and it's on a Nintendo console i feel like Yuri is a bit overlooked, he is not very far behind from Lloyd imo.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To be fair, I think Isaac and Shovel Knight are probably the only two of the "got a little extra due to popularity" crowd that aren't all that likely.

Sakurai also stated once i believe around the Smash 4 time that "if we were to have a Tales rep it has to be Lloyd" or something like that, to back him up. (Unless i'm missremembering the interview, which is possible it's been 10+ years lol)
However, Vesperia was like 4 years old and wasn't even in a Nintendo console yet at the time, now that Vesperia is 16 years old and it's on a Nintendo console i feel like Yuri is a bit overlooked, he is not very far behind from Lloyd imo.
I think it was "who else, but Lloyd", although we are at a point where that opinion could easily have changed by now.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The crappy thing about Isaac is I think he’ll get in once GS gets a new game… whenever that will be.

Camelot has been finished up with their Nintendo Switch Mario Sports titles for a WHILE now and they’re obviously working on something so I’m optimistic we’ll get one soon. I’m just afraid it’s going to get overshadowed with it possibly being at the tail end of the Switch’s life cycle.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I feel like I just have very different tastes in characters than most Smash fans. I was never really too big on the cheerful somewhat airheaded boy protagonist like Lloyd, Sora, or Rex. I love all three series but the characters themselves never really clicked with me much personally. I tend to prefer characters like Shionne, Velvet, and Yuri who are a bit older and have a bit more of an edge for lack of a better word. As long as the character still has comedic moments and is well written, those tend to be my favorites. They can definitely push the edgy thing too far though and it can make the character feel like they’re trying too hard to be cool but failing (like DmC Dante).

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, I think Isaac and Shovel Knight are probably the only two of the "got a little extra due to popularity" crowd that aren't all that likely.
I think Isaac has still a chance as a throwback/retro rep or a popularity pick.
Shovel Knight through? I can't imagine him getting in over Zagreus or a Undertale rep those days tbh, his best (and maybe only) chance was Ult base game.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The Visual art styles of Smash have definitely changed over the years especially to match what the hardware can do. Ultimate... I was fine with it until I saw just how plastic everyone looks as if they're perfectly sculpted mannequins ... Now I can't unsee it and it bothers me lol. I'd like more texture to each character except those who "should" look perfectly smooth, unshaded or whatever, and obviously not counting non-humanoid/fur balls and game and watch / rob etc. show some artistic depth. Something like this

Old smoother render on PSX
Kazuya_tekken2_portrait3.jpg

Newer realistic render on PS5 (early dev model)
87821_8_tekken-8-teased-with-diabolical-kazuya-mishima-screenshot.png

Brawl is the closest the devs have come to the more realistic look and I'd like them to do it again taking advantage of the ps4-like strength of graphics processing.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Brawl is the closest the devs have come to the more realistic look and I'd like them to do it again taking advantage of the ps4-like strength of graphics processing.
If they go that route, I'd prefer it have that cartoony blend like Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 (minus the booster course tracks), or Pokémon Scarlet/Violet's character models (but only the characters; the environments in that game just use flat textures, it's weird).

EDIT: We're gonna want to avoid art style clash like in MvCI:
1716996649822.jpeg

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
The Visual art styles of Smash have definitely changed over the years especially to match what the hardware can do. Ultimate... I was fine with it until I saw just how plastic everyone looks as if they're perfectly sculpted mannequins ... Now I can't unsee it and it bothers me lol. I'd like more texture to each character except those who "should" look perfectly smooth, unshaded or whatever, and obviously not counting non-humanoid/fur balls and game and watch / rob etc. show some artistic depth. Something like this

View attachment 390155

View attachment 390157

Nowaday 99% of games are realistic i would like nintnendo to stay away from that!
I dont even wanna see samus with pores yikes!
Now a scaly Ridley Perfection but please not for the Nintendo humans!

Maybe they could have each character in their series artstyle including kazuya? Maybe?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
KRool Inkling Isabelle Little Mac Chrom, stop being wrong.
Golden was right to point out that this track record isn't anything too impressive related to guests / third party characters. While the likes of Chrom, Isabelle and King K. Rool initially received something of a consolation prize costume in Smash 4 before their inclusion in the following game, nearly every third party character added in Ultimate lacked this property. Not that it CAN'T happen, but it's not as consistent of a metric. DMC or DOOM getting costumes is theoretically a good thing but Ultimate was less interested in exploring some of its previous collabs than it was creating new ones. Tekken being the exception.

On this front, I often do mention new Mii Costumes as a positive for someone like Isaac or Skull Kid where there is solid evidence of using these costumes as consolations for popular characters in the past. But even then, I think there's something to be said about the way a good half of new additions to Smash will account for characters who grew into more prominent roles, didn't exist yet etc etc. Sometimes a consolation remains a consolation. But I'd say the odds of seeing at least a couple of these Nintendo costumes make the jump later are solid.

And I think some of the third parties with costumes are decently realistic too. I just don't think the costume existing in and of itself has much bearing on that.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 390155

View attachment 390157

Yeah, i'd like them to re-visit the more realistic/gritty art style, altrough i'd like them to try a new art style as well.
Something like Mystery Dungeon DX could be interesting, but might be too alienating?:
maxresdefault.jpg

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
"I'm sorry Mr. Romero, we can't add the Doom Slayer to the new Smash game, he already had a costume in the previous one."
No one was arguing that. It's just that being an Assist Trophy or Mii Costume is just evidence that they're being considered. It's not evidence that they'll ever be picked.

Granted, a some of them probably will one day, but a lot of them seem to be squarely in the eternal understudy zone.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"I'm sorry Mr. Romero, we can't add the Doom Slayer to the new Smash game, he already had a costume in the previous one."
That's not how it works. It's not that they can't make third-parties that got Mii'd playable, it's just that they avoided it for whatever reason.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Flaming/harassment
KRool Inkling Isabelle Little Mac Chrom, stop being wrong.
If you're going to be an asshole, at least learn some reading comprehension.

And yet the number of times this lead anywhere could be counted on one finger when it comes to guests.
This whole discussion started with Lloyd, a guest.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
That's not how it works. It's not that they can't make third-parties that got Mii'd playable, it's just that they avoided it for whatever reason.
But it's not like the case history is particularly large, it's just Smash 4 to Ultimate.
A character getting a costume in a game and the same character becoming a fighter in a subsrquent game are most likely two completely unrelated decisions.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Exact opposite of that. Flat cel-shading!
I agree with this. I feel like trying to make games too photo-realistic can really take away its unique charm for me. Like Street Fighter VI just doesn’t look quite right. Final Fantasy and WarCraft gone towards photo-realistic visuals and they just don’t look quite as cool as when they were more stylized. Thats all just personal preference but that’s how I feel.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
"3rd parties don't usually get this treatment."
"You're wrong because of these first parties."
"I was talking about 3rd parties though."
"Doesn't matter."

:snakefire:
Yeah, they're trolling at this point. Best to just ignore.

Yeah, i'd like them to re-visit the more realistic/gritty art style, altrough i'd like them to try a new art style as well.
Something like Mystery Dungeon DX could be interesting, but might be too alienating?:
View attachment 390159
THIS.

**** YES.

This is close to the type of style I've been picturing!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
A character getting a costume in a game and the same character becoming a fighter in a subsrquent game are most likely two completely unrelated decisions.
Isn’t this the point everyone is trying to make right now? I feel like this may have gotten misconstrued.

This started from a statement about how a character is in a better position for having a costume and getting their foot in the door, and many of us pointed out the lack of examples where this has panned out so far. This isn’t weird gatekeeping about how x or y role makes a character worse off, it’s just emphasizing that having a costume isn’t the massive boost that some people give it credit for.

You’re correct that the sample size is minimal, though. I imagine at least a few characters who got costumes may eventually be playable next game, but my dispute is the existence of the costume doesn’t inherently make them more likely than a character who doesn’t have one.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think everyone is correct in bringing up the lack of precedent for the conversion of Mii outfits or Assist Trophies to playable fighters. It’s true that it hasn’t really happened yet for third party characters. However, like Scrimblo said, there’s only been one game where that ever could have actually happened. I brought up Lloyd’s existing Smash presence to show that the Smash team is aware of his fan support and popularity. I agree this doesn’t guarantee him a spot but I don’t see how it couldn’t at least be one point in his favor.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Yeah, they're trolling at this point. Best to just ignore.

THIS.

**** YES.

This is close to the type of style I've been picturing!
Having mii costumes shows support and acknowledgement of their wanted inclusion into the roster since most third party costumes are wanted characters

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
All this wembling on if the people will accept a new Smash without all of Ultimate's roster will go out the window once they reveal Waluigi and Master Chief in the same direct and the crowd goes ballistic
Just imagine:

Yeah, I know I'm a little late on this, but better late than never.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
All this wembling on if the people will accept a new Smash without all of Ultimate's roster will go out the window once they reveal Waluigi and Master Chief in the same direct and the crowd goes ballistic
Unless you don’t care much about either one of those characters like me. They’re fine and I’d be happy for their fans but ballistic is about the farthest thing from my reaction. Either way, I’m only talking about myself and not trying to make some grand statement about the general reception as a whole.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Unless you don’t care much about either one of those characters like me. They’re fine and I’d be happy for their fans but ballistic is about the farthest thing from my reaction. Either way, I’m only talking about myself and not trying to make some grand statement about the general reception as a whole.
That’s true and I do think there’s a persistent trend in the community of like, how could you be upset when they added x or y? I have a go with the flow attitude about it usually so I wasn’t mad, but DLC wasn’t totally my jam. I could appreciate all the huge and/or creative additions on their own but the only one I truly fell in love with was Terry and maybe Sephiroth.

That aside, you’ve demonstrated that you’re content with letting the series move forward past EIH. I’m convinced the “general public” people like to go on about is kind of a projection of their own feelings (which surely none of us are innocent from, but speaking on behalf of millions of people is another thing). But nonetheless, the kind of people who maintain that Smash needs to do something BIG to make up for losing however many characters would be getting exactly what they want, and the controversy about a few big names falling through the cracks would subside…

…until they add a couple less “hype” characters later, and those become the scapegoats regardless of whether or not it makes sense. But that’s how it is.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That’s true and I do think there’s a persistent trend in the community of like, how could you be upset when they added x or y? I have a go with the flow attitude about it usually so I wasn’t mad, but DLC wasn’t totally my jam. I could appreciate all the huge and/or creative additions on their own but the only one I truly fell in love with was Terry and maybe Sephiroth.

That aside, you’ve demonstrated that you’re content with letting the series move forward past EIH. I’m convinced the “general public” people like to go on about is kind of a projection of their own feelings (which surely none of us are innocent from, but speaking on behalf of millions of people is another thing). But nonetheless, the kind of people who maintain that Smash needs to do something BIG to make up for losing however many characters would be getting exactly what they want, and the controversy about a few big names falling through the cracks would subside…

…until they add a couple less “hype” characters later, and those become the scapegoats regardless of whether or not it makes sense. But that’s how it is.
Yeah, I do feel like they need to make some kind of effort to make the next game stand on its own if they do end up cutting a ton of characters but I’m confident they can manage to do that. It’s more a fear of losing my favorites than a general opposition to a smaller roster size. I just feel a lot of my personal favorites like Sephiroth would be low priority while many of the most popular options don’t particularly interest me. I’ll still almost definitely buy the game and have fun with it regardless, especially if they give us a substantial co-op mode.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I’m convinced the “general public” people like to go on about is kind of a projection of their own feelings (which surely none of us are innocent from, but speaking on behalf of millions of people is another thing).
Yeah I'll admit me not wanting to pay full price for a game I've already played that's barely changed (IE: MK8 Deluxe before the BCP) is something I'm projecting onto the general population, but it's not like there aren't people who indeed want more new content than a port or further DLC can provide. Just look at the GTA6 trailer's viewcount:
1717005333295.png

That's way more views than any trailer for a port of GTAV or a content update for GTA Online ever got, and with its all-new single player campaign and sandbox, it's guaranteed to have more new content than any of the aforementioned ports/content updates could provide. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yeah I'll admit me not wanting to pay full price for a game I've already played that's barely changed (IE: MK8 Deluxe before the BCP) is something I'm projecting onto the general population, but it's not like there aren't people who indeed want more new content than a port or further DLC can provide.
For the record, this was the point I was trying to make. Usually when I hear people use casual fans or a general audience as a cushion it’s to justify as little change as possible, because now apparently the only way to sell people on the game is through progressively bigger and bigger crossovers and not simple brand recognition and consumer trust for most.

Personally I’m ready to move on. Perhaps that’s also my own projection speaking to a degree - on average, I care more about the Nintendo side than the third party side. And there are elements of Ultimate where I’d have rather them focused on new content than centralizing on the old (like the stages). But I think some people really trivialize the ability of an audience outside of our own circle of hardcore fans to think for themselves, like they’re some hivemind that will riot if we don’t still have every third party plus Crash and Master Chief. Some will be upset and others won’t care and will just be enamored by the new. Lot of people who are upset over a handful of characters will buy the game anyway, like most of us.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah I'll admit me not wanting to pay full price for a game I've already played that's barely changed (IE: MK8 Deluxe before the BCP) is something I'm projecting onto the general population, but it's not like there aren't people who indeed want more new content than a port or further DLC can provide. Just look at the GTA6 trailer's viewcount:
View attachment 390166
That's way more views than any trailer for a port of GTAV or a content update for GTA Online ever got, and with its all-new single player campaign and sandbox, it's guaranteed to have more new content than any of the aforementioned ports/content updates could provide. I don't think that's a coincidence.
I don’t want a port either. I totally agree that it feels like a waste of money having to pay full price for a game you already bought. There are a few possibilities that I would be really excited for though. The first is to use Ultimate as a starting point to build off of and add the same amount of new content a normal entry in the series would have without losing anything currently there.

The second option relies on backwards compatibility and that’s just keep adding DLC like fighter’s passes or new modes to the current game. A Deluxe port that’s mostly the same as what we have is just kind of pointless in my opinion.

A completely new standard entry with a starting roster near Ultimate’s starting roster is probably the most likely and I’d be fine with that. Less so if they cut all my favorites for characters I don’t care about but I’ll manage.

Last edited:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'll admit me not wanting to pay full price for a game I've already played that's barely changed (IE: MK8 Deluxe before the BCP) is something I'm projecting onto the general population, but it's not like there aren't people who indeed want more new content than a port or further DLC can provide. Just look at the GTA6 trailer's* viewcount:
View attachment 390166
I understand and agree with your point, but I do think GTA VI probably isn't a great example, it's a unique cirumstance. Like, GTA VI is probably going to become the most successful media release in human history lol.

I will say though, this is loosely related, but I do think the whole "Ultimate became too much about hype, nobody cared about the actual game anymore" sentiment I see sometimes is kind of just dressing up "it didn't add the characters im interested in" in a bit of a sanctimonious way. I think there is something to be said about how that game's hype cycle turned out and a lot of the toxicity that came in and such, and how the marketing leaned into that, but I feel like it's also very easy for that to become a "i'm a true fan vs those fake hypeseeker things" and assume bad faith in every case without really talking about the topic with more nuance. I'm being a bit sanctimonious myself here, but I think in general it's not hard to get lost in the sauce when you spend so much time on hardcore internet communities like this.

Top Bottom