• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What's worth noting is that Nintendo is flush with cash even more than they were in 2015/2016, have increased their ownership of (albeit very steadily) of in-house developers, and don't have the image of a recent console that failed partially due to a weak first year library.

A lot of game decisions with the Switch, including the reliance on ports and/or building on previous gen games was a product of the Wii U underselling, Nintendo curbing excess costs to offset that system's failure, and knowing quite harshly what excess droughts early in a console's library could do to its momentum. The Switch 2 has much less baggage before its launch, and I could imagine the company has developed the resources to put out brand new titles like Mario Kart 9 and a SSB sequel with greater ease that one might think. They won't front load the first year too much but given the numerous leaks about their willingness to sit on games that are done till the time is right, I think those first two years of the next system will be very big indeed, even without something like a 3D Zelda.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, everyone and their mom has a Switch, and half of everyone with a Switch has SSBU actually more like a quarter but you get the message. If the Switch 2 has backwards compatibility - Which it probably will - I highly doubt Nintendo would waste time and resources porting a game most potential players already have. If you can just go back and play Ultimate anyways, might as well roll with Smash 6

And for what it's worth, not only did the Wii U perform poorly, the Switch broke the chains of backwards compatibility with both the home and handheld consoles, which meant ports were necessary to maximize the profit of would-be Wii U exclusives. If the Switch 2 is backwards compatibile, there just wouldn't be any need to port it

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
What's worth noting is that Nintendo is flush with cash even more than they were in 2015/2016, have increased their ownership of (albeit very steadily) of in-house developers, and don't have the image of a recent console that failed partially due to a weak first year library.

A lot of game decisions with the Switch, including the reliance on ports and/or building on previous gen games was a product of the Wii U underselling, Nintendo curbing excess costs to offset that system's failure, and knowing quite harshly what excess droughts early in a console's library could do to its momentum. The Switch 2 has much less baggage before its launch, and I could imagine the company has developed the resources to put out brand new titles like Mario Kart 9 and a SSB sequel with greater ease that one might think. They won't front load the first year too much but given the numerous leaks about their willingness to sit on games that are done till the time is right, I think those first two years of the next system will be very big indeed, even without something like a 3D Zelda.
The problem is how do you convince most people to buy MK9 and SSB6 if it has less tracks and characters than MK8D and SSBU? There has to be a selling point and i don't think somthing like 48 new tracks and 16 newcomers in the base game and a brand new stage roster alone would make people buy it.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The problem is how do you convince most people to buy MK9 and SSB6 if it has less tracks and characters than MK8D and SSBU?
By having people burnt out on MK8D and SSBU not have to worry they're going to pay $60 for the same game they've played already.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I’m not trying to name name and point fingers, but a lot of Ultimate Deluxe speculation just seems to be looking for reasons to hold onto Ultimate. At least from my perspective.

And look, I’m not saying people are wrong for not quite wanting to part with such a legendary roster yet. I just think it’s funny when I see arguments made that a new Smash would be too controversial and financially underperform or something :nifty:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Keep in mind, Mario Kart 9 and the next SSB could simply follow the philosophy of "if you can't be bigger than, be different than". There are loads of directions both franchises could go to attract fans that simply involve a change to the formula.

Even something like "Nintendo Kart" (as controversial as that concept is) would be heck of a angle to market, especially given the growth of various Nintendo IP's in the last 7 years.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Keep in mind, Mario Kart 9 and the next SSB could simply follow the philosophy of "if you can't be bigger, than be different". There's loads of directions both franchises could go to attract fans that simply involve a change to the formula.

Even something like "Nintendo Kart" (as controversial as that concept is) would be heck of a angle to market, especially given the growth of various Nintendo IP's in the last 7 years.
Given that most of the tracks in MK8D's BCP would be retro, I just think what MK9 needs to do is have no retro tracks whatsoever, but make up for it with having more Nitro tracks than MK games usually come with.

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if by MK8, it took just as many resources to make retro tracks as it did Nitro, since they'd have to adapt retro tracks to both the graphical and gameplay standards of Nitro ones, including tracks from the Mode 7 games.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The problem is how do you convince most people to buy MK9 and SSB6 if it has less tracks and characters than MK8D and SSBU? There has to be a selling point and i don't think somthing like 48 new tracks and 16 newcomers in the base game and a brand new stage roster alone would make people buy it.
By having Mario. Little Timmy sees the hot new Mario, he wants the hot new Mario, he convinces his parents to get the hot new Mario. You're correct that if a new game has a smaller roster it'd have to build up a separate identity beyond being "The Game That Has Everybody," but like. It's still got Mario and Sonic and Pikachu and all those guys. It shouldn't be hard to win over the general audience, especially after how well Ultimate did

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think the general public would just go “Woah new Smash!!” As long as there were cool new characters and features that’d be enough.

It’s the more hardcore fans that care about exact roster numbers and stuff like that.
I think this is backward.

Hardcore fans who have been playing Ultimate for five and a half years now and Smash generally for longer than that seem to be the people most open to a pseudo-reboot that focuses more on competitive gameplay, veteran overhalls, and a more robust set of modes.

It's Joe Schmo who hasn't played enough Ultimate to be sick of that game yet that will be more critical of the next Smash. People who only play the game casually with buddies or keep up with the trailers to see who's in are going to have a much more surface-level impression of the next Smash, which will mostly come down to the roster and how it measures up to Ultimate's.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite was actually relatively received by fighting game fans who played it. It was everyone else that was disappointed with it. I don't think the next Smash could realistically approach MvCI levels of mismanagement, but the same general principle applies.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite was actually relatively received by fighting game fans who played it. It was everyone else that was disappointed with it. I don't think the next Smash could realistically approach MvCI levels of mismanagement, but the same general principle applies.
To be fair, if you didn't hear about people saying MvCI's gameplay actually is good, you'd think it going back to 2v2 when MvC got big from the 3v3 games was a downgrade, so it's not just the smaller roster that made people not want to get it.

I don't think Smash could be that much of a (presumed) downgrade gameplay-wise unless random tripping is brought back and it happens every time you try to run.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think this is backward.

Hardcore fans who have been playing Ultimate for five and a half years now and Smash generally for longer than that seem to be the people most open to a pseudo-reboot that focuses more on competitive gameplay, veteran overhalls, and a more robust set of modes.

It's Joe Schmo who hasn't played enough Ultimate to be sick of that game yet that will be more critical of the next Smash. People who only play the game casually with buddies or keep up with the trailers to see who's in are going to have a much more surface-level impression of the next Smash, which will mostly come down to the roster and how it measures up to Ultimate's.

Nuh uh :dkmelee:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
And Ultimate Deluxe would be controversial just by making 30 million people need to pay $60 for the exact same game they've already bought but with 3 more characters.
Then don't do that.

Make it backwards compatible and add a 4K mode like TTYD has. And just start adding Fighter's Passes.

Nobody has to rebuy anything, and Nintendo has an automatic 30 million install base to sell new DLC tp.

I've already told you these over and over.
Something isn't true just because you keep repeating it.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Keep in mind, Mario Kart 9 and the next SSB could simply follow the philosophy of "if you can't be bigger than, be different than". There are loads of directions both franchises could go to attract fans that simply involve a change to the formula.

It’s strange as I’d kind of like these series to head in the same direction (Nintendo All-Stars). They’re just at different points right now.

Smash you could say has grown too big for its boots. Big third party bombshells aren’t sustainable, and people have already taken it for granted despite Sakurai saying otherwise himself.

Mario Kart hasn’t grown enough. Nintendo has shown they’d rather bring in clones rather than deep cuts.

I do wonder if what Mario Kart needs is a Nintendo All-Stars spice to mix it up. Think of 32 brand new courses. 16 traditional Mario courses, and 16 general Nintendo courses.

Mario Kart could be a draw for wider Nintendo properties that Smash might not convince some people with.

I doubt it’ll happen, but it’s nice to think about. I think with how long 8 went on, I’d like a change, even if it’s for one game.

For Smash, if Ultimate focused heavily on the past and big bombastic third parties, then I think a new Smash game has to shift focus towards the now and the future, and refocusing on the Nintendo All-Stars angle, more suited to the modern day.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The problem is how do you convince most people to buy MK9 and SSB6 if it has less tracks and characters than MK8D and SSBU?
Not to say that the content doesn't matter, but Mario Kart tends to have either the console itself as the novelty, or a big gimmick to attract players. Mario Kart 9 probably wont have any issues selling itself.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The thing that gives me pause in comparing MK8 and SSBU is that the former's late DLC was essentially made up of tracks that were already created for Tour. Yes, they were altered in ways and Deluxe had a few select new tracks, but much of the purpose of the Booster Course pass seemed to be smartly recycling previous existing content while also preserving it in a media more permanent than a mobile release that many fans will never play.

Basically, the Booster Course Pass came about from a very unique set of circumstances that most other evergreen Nintendo titles don't have, Smash included.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
while also preserving it in a media more permanent than a mobile release that many fans will never play.
I'm not saying you're wrong, and I agree that having a bunch of track models already helped MK8D get its DLC expansion, but actually caring about preserving the assets from your soon-to-shut-down mobile game doesn't really feel like something a game publisher would actually do.

Hell, it wasn't as much of a skeleton crew project as you'd expect:
Between the credits for the two versions of MK8 and the Booster Course Pass, the BCP is the one that has the largest list of programmers.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I think the whole thing about it making not sense for Nintendo to do ports on a system with backwards compatibility is a bit blind to what the rest of the industry is doing. I've brought this up before, but one of the first releases for the PS5 was a remaster of Spider-Man, which came out only two years prior. The PS5 in general has multiple PS4 remasters/remakes. The Series X advertises next gen upgrades pretty heavily, though it's unique in that it has backwards compatibility with every Xbox game since 2001.

It would make plenty of sense for Nintendo to do a remaster of titles like BOTW as a full release, because "BOTW with good performance and higher res" is a good selling point that will do really well for comparitively little dev time. The same applies to a lot of Nintendo's major releases.

A Smash Ultimate port has its own issues and hurdles, like I don't expect it just on the basis that it's not a title as sellable on the basis of higher performance in comparison to a major open world game, but "why would Nintendo do a rerelease of a game already available" I don't really think is a big obstacle.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think the whole thing about it making not sense for Nintendo to do ports on a system with backwards compatibility is a bit blind to what the rest of the industry is doing. I've brought this up before, but one of the first releases for the PS5 was a remaster of Spider-Man, which came out only two years prior. The PS5 in general has multiple PS4 remasters/remakes. The Series X advertises next gen upgrades pretty heavily, though it's unique in that it has backwards compatibility with every Xbox game since 2001.

It would make plenty of sense for Nintendo to do a remaster of titles like BOTW as a full release, because "BOTW with good performance and higher res" is a good selling point that will do really well for comparitively little dev time. The same applies to a lot of Nintendo's major releases.

A Smash Ultimate port has its own issues and hurdles, like I don't expect it just on the basis that it's not a title as sellable on the basis of higher performance in comparison to a major open world game, but "why would Nintendo do a rerelease of a game already available" I don't really think is a big obstacle.
Nintendo doesn't think the same way as the rest of the industry. They mostly do their own thing and are not the type to follow trends.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
It’s strange as I’d kind of like these series to head in the same direction (Nintendo All-Stars). They’re just at different points right now.

Smash you could say has grown too big for its boots. Big third party bombshells aren’t sustainable, and people have already taken it for granted despite Sakurai saying otherwise himself.

Mario Kart hasn’t grown enough. Nintendo has shown they’d rather bring in clones rather than deep cuts.

I do wonder if what Mario Kart needs is a Nintendo All-Stars spice to mix it up. Think of 32 brand new courses. 16 traditional Mario courses, and 16 general Nintendo courses.

Mario Kart could be a draw for wider Nintendo properties that Smash might not convince some people with.

I doubt it’ll happen, but it’s nice to think about. I think with how long 8 went on, I’d like a change, even if it’s for one game.

For Smash, if Ultimate focused heavily on the past and big bombastic third parties, then I think a new Smash game has to shift focus towards the now and the future, and refocusing on the Nintendo All-Stars angle, more suited to the modern day.
I mean i'm sure a Smash 6 would try to have plenty of newcomers and mostly new stages and items anyway, i expect it to be a traditional smash sequel like Brawl or 4 if it happens, but i'm not sure that would be enough to sell the game after EiH to most Ult owners, as i said.
But, you can't really go back to the Nintendo-All Stars angle and just remove the amount of 3rd parties in the game drastically, when so many wishlists are 3rd party focused.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

To be fair PlayStation and Xbox are also infamous for Not Having Games, and they're getting a ton of flack for recycling the same titles again and again. Nintendo also just... Doesn't hop on big industry trends all the time; They make smaller budgeted titles, don't bank on having the highest processing power possible, doesn't aim for cinematic ultra-4K RTX photorealism, and don't bleed employees because of unsustainable hiring practices, among other things. They could do some remasters, but for such a big system seller like Smash, I don't think Nintendo would miss out on making a full installment

The Black Omen

Smash Rookie
I don't know if this idea's been posited before, but is there a chance that there just won't be a new Smash game on the next console? I know that sounds crazy, because it absolutely is, and there definitely will be a Smash game on the next Nintendo console, whether it's a port or a reboot or whatever. But I just can't imagine what a Smash game after Ultimate could look like. There really isn't anywhere left to go. Would they even bother trying? The answer is yes, because money, but, like, I wouldn't want to be in that position, y'know?

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
To be fair PlayStation and Xbox are also infamous for Not Having Games, and they're getting a ton of flack for recycling the same titles again and again. Nintendo also just... Doesn't hop on big industry trends all the time; They make smaller budgeted titles, don't bank on having the highest processing power possible, doesn't aim for cinematic ultra-4K RTX photorealism, and don't bleed employees because of unsustainable hiring practices, among other things. They could do some remasters, but for such a big system seller like Smash, I don't think Nintendo would miss out on making a full installment
Those remasters I mentioned all sold really well. I think it's important to get out of the general online discourse a bit, Sony's major narrative titles are consitently award winning and sell incredibly well. Playstation on the whole makes several times as much revenue as the Nintendo Switch based on software. There's a major audience for this kind of stuff, and Sony especially has found loads of success in its porting practices. Nintendo obviously cares about performance and visuals, because their next console is going to utilise DLSS. The Nintendo Switch being underpowered is a matter of the form factor and cost when it comes to making a handheld, we know based on the known specs that the next console is going to be basically as beefy as you could expect something in the Switch's size and price range to be.

I also wouldn't want to defend Nintendo entirely there either. There are many corroborated reports about NOA utilising contractors for a bulk of their work while not treating them properly or giving them adequate working conditions alongside reported union-busting. In fact, specific to Smash, we know for a fact that Ultimate bled through scores of contracted playtesters, forcing them to work late hours with low pay only for them to not end up in the credits of the game, because one of the accurate Ultimate leaks reported on that and gave the same facts the later article on Axios did. Nintendo in general has a history of crunch all the way up to Miyamoto's level. It's a good thing that Nintendo has such a low turnover rate, but that number is also probably inflated by how much work is done by contractors who aren't treated right and aren't considered actual employees.

All that is to a say, again, I think a Smash Ultimate port is unlikely and a full installment would be what Nintendo would want to build a marketing campaign around, but I'm making a more broad point about the potential strategy for some Swiitch 2 titles.

Also, I really really really do not know if it makes sense to argue other companies get flack for recycling the same titles and not Nintendo lol.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don't know if this idea's been posited before, but is there a chance that there just won't be a new Smash game on the next console? I know that sounds crazy, because it absolutely is, and there definitely will be a Smash game on the next Nintendo console, whether it's a port or a reboot or whatever. But I just can't imagine what a Smash game after Ultimate could look like. There really isn't anywhere left to go. Would they even bother trying? The answer is yes, because money, but, like, I wouldn't want to be in that position, y'know?
It's a tough act to follow, that's for sure. But a new Smash game is the ceterpiece of each Nintendo console, and almost the culmination of what Nintendo (and even the video game industry as a whole) is up to at that point in time. It's far too important, and lucrative, to a Nintendo system's life for them to just not do it.

But yeah, tough act to follow :drshrug:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As much as the roster was and always will be the most exciting part or any fighting game, all that's changed is that Super Smash Bros. can't sell itself on just the roster. It's gotta have new ideas be it single player, new core mechanics, or...well even good online would go a long way.

It's entirely possible that the series will fully commit to a Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat approach where each game is built around a new set of mechanics that make them unique.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Those remasters I mentioned all sold really well. I think it's important to get out of the general online discourse a bit, Sony's major narrative titles are consitently award winning and sell incredibly well. Playstation on the whole makes several times as much revenue as the Nintendo Switch based on software. There's a major audience for this kind of stuff, and Sony especially has found loads of success in its porting practices. Nintendo obviously cares about performance and visuals, because their next console is going to utilise DLSS. The Nintendo Switch being underpowered is a matter of the form factor and cost when it comes to making a handheld, we know based on the known specs that the next console is going to be basically as beefy as you could expect something in the Switch's size and price range to be.

I also wouldn't want to defend Nintendo entirely there either. There are many corroborated reports about NOA utilising contractors for a bulk of their work while not treating them properly or giving them adequate working conditions alongside reported union-busting. In fact, specific to Smash, we know for a fact that Ultimate bled through scores of contracted playtesters, forcing them to work late hours with low pay only for them to not end up in the credits of the game, because one of the accurate Ultimate leaks reported on that and gave the same facts the later article on Axios did. Nintendo in general has a history of crunch all the way up to Miyamoto's level. It's a good thing that Nintendo has such a low turnover rate, but that number is also probably inflated by how much work is done by contractors who aren't treated right and aren't considered actual employees.

All that is to a say, again, I think a Smash Ultimate port is unlikely and a full installment would be what Nintendo would want to build a marketing campaign around, but I'm making a more broad point about the potential strategy for some Swiitch 2 titles.

Also, I really really really do not know if it makes sense to argue other companies get flack for recycling the same titles and not Nintendo lol.
Regarding this bit, I dunno, Nintendo consistently puts out regular releases, whereas Sony and Xbox only have a small handful of exclusives to bank on. Hell, Sony just doesn't have a major release to put out this year, short of more remasters. And we know that Ratchet and Clank lost money, despite inarguably getting critical acclaim and fairly high sales. Nintendo's remade some old titles, but not to the same extent as Sony's situation. That's what i was trying to get at

Though, you raise a good point about playtesters and contractors. Nintendo's 99% retention rate is impressive, but that may well have been inflated by not counting part-time workers

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The game sells itself there's no need for gimmicks or a ridiculous huge roster or anything. There will be some mechanical tweaks or maybe the addition of a new mechanic, there will be 1-player mode overhauls again maybe return of lost modes or a revisit to sse styled adventure, a decent amount of newcomers in base, a hype asf DLC period again... The formula is already there, tried tested and approved. "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This is either the most or least self aware post I’ve ever seen on this website.
I'm fully aware that my wishes and speculations are just that.

That's not the same as pretending to know what Nintendo is thinking, and then insisting that others accept my assumptions as fact.

Basically, the Booster Course Pass came about from a very unique set of circumstances that most other evergreen Nintendo titles don't have, Smash included.
Those circumstances may have been why it happened in the first place. But because it was such an immense success, those circumstances may not be required in the future for them to do it again.

All this wembling on if the people will accept a new Smash without all of Ultimate's roster will go out the window once they reveal Waluigi and Master Chief in the same direct and the crowd goes ballistic
The Waluief leak...

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
The game sells itself there's no need for gimmicks or a ridiculous huge roster or anything. There will be some mechanical tweaks or maybe the addition of a new mechanic, there will be 1-player mode overhauls again maybe return of lost modes or a revisit to sse styled adventure, a decent amount of newcomers in base, a hype asf DLC period again... The formula is already there, tried testes and approved. "If it ain't broke don't fix it."
Mario Kart is easy. 48 courses that (besides the MK8 stuff) aren’t in MK8D, with more thorough remixes instead of a Mirror Mode. Add in Mission Mode and a ton of upgraded Tour stuff then bam! New game that’s distinct from MK8. Smash on the other hand doesn’t have that because it’s a crossover. I doubt Multiversus existing helps things either.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If Doom Slayer gets in the next game, do you think they'd get Mick Gordon to do a new remix of Rip & Tear or BFG Division like they got Grant Kirkhope to do a new remix of Spiral Mountain?

Last edited:
Top Bottom